7.6

1. Mar 9, 2014
    I finished Sonic's story only, and did it because it was a Sonic game. The team mechanic is a great thing that gives tons of depth to the gameplay without adding weight or annoyance. The visuals and sounds are pretty good, nothing very noteworthy in the music department though. The story is nonexistent, they put no effort in it at all. As for the gameplay, there's just two things: one, you have to redo the same levels four times. Sure it's different with Team Chaotix, but even with only Team Sonic, Rose, and Dark, redoing the same levels 3 times is already a ridiculous way to pad the game.
    And then the big problem is that past the first levels which are fine, the controls show how wild and brutal they are. You almost always fall off and die due to controls that overreact terribly to your commands. You have to keep pacing yourself at all times. Use Knuckles' punches and see yourself immediately fly off the platforms in the later levels. The camera is also not that great, albeit better than SA2B.

For the casino levels, control is extremely unresponsive. For Rail levels, the wild control will make you die tons of times. The levels all have rides, although I think it's a bit better than SA2B. The bosses are usually piss easy but the bad control can still make you fall off the edge of a platform or such.

The bad controls and padding make an otherwise very fun game into a pretty annoying and repetitive mess.
  2. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic heroes is amazing and without a doubt my favorite sonic game of all time, and i've played pretty much all of them except sonic 06. so in this game it has 4 different teams which are basically 4 different stories like in sonic adventure,and while you play as 12 characters, you play as 3 all as once per team. so you don't have to play though 12 stories to get to the final boss,and when i first thought the game thats what i thought i had to do. anyway the graphics, they are great and if you have the Gamecube/Wii component cables they are amazing, this game really pushes the gamecube's graphics and everything looks all shiny. now the story of the game is not as dark and confusing as sonic adventure 2's story but is more lighthearted and fun, team sonic's story is that they are trying to stop eggman from taking over the world, team dark's story is that they are trying to find eggman, team rose's story is amy is trying to find sonic, and big and cream are trying to find froggy and chacola, and team chaotix story is that they are trying to find a client who turns out to be eggman. and then in the last story it turns out metal sonic disguised himself as eggman, copied team sonic's data, stole froggy and chacola, and locked eggman in a room on the eggfleet, and did this all in one complicated plan to finally destroy sonic. now the gameplay, team sonic, it's like a regular sonic game, team dark is like the hard mode, team rose is the easy mode, and team chaotix is the mission mode. the characters are in teams of 3 one has speed formation which is the fast one, one has power formation which is for fighting enimes, and another has flight formation which is for flying for a short time. and each character has a level up system that levels up everytime you get an orb. unlike the sonic adventure games there is no treasure hunting and no robot shooting, just high speed platforming. every zone is two acts and a boss fight, it's like a 2D sonic game brought into the 3d world, and has the most platforming i have ever seen in any sonic game. the zones are beautiful to from, seaside hill, a green hill style level, to casino park, my favorite level in the game, to egg fleet, a giant fleet of airships.
    this game is very underrated and one comon complaint is that the stages are too long, this is true, but i actually love that they are, it means more high speed platforming fun. the music in this game is also amazing. this game is everything that any sonic fan would want in a sonic game, and its virtually perfect. now there are some flaws with it like the chaotix missions being tedious sometimes like the mystic mansion one where you have to light all of the torches in the mansion and there are a lot of them, and it took me over 20 minutes to complete that mission. and the special stages are horrible. but still this is my favorite sonic game of all time and gets a perfect score 10 out of 10.
  3. Jan 11, 2014
    Man, this game is a pain to play. But I sure love it to bits. I have found hours of enjoyment from the gameplay, even though at points it is a bit tough due to the camera. The graphics are almost perfect, but the voice acting is bad. The music is better than average, which is where I pull most of my enjoyment from a game.

This and Shadow the Hedgehog are definitely work the purchase.
  4. Dec 11, 2013
    I love Sonic Heroes. It brings back a lot of nostalgia from when I was little. Sure, this game has it's flaws, but I forgive it because I have had a lot of fun playing this game and I will remember it for a long time. The soundtrack is amazing and memorable too. I will always remember the main theme song, although I never understood the words clearly. :)

Soundtrack: 10
    Gameplay: 9.8

Graphics: 9.5

Total: 9.8 (rounding it to 10)
  5. Aug 25, 2013
    This is one of the first games I ever played. Even though there are flaws, my nostalgia is to strong to hate it. The game is looks amazing. the voice acting is meh. Fantastic gameplay.
  6. May 7, 2013
    Sonic's first original game not on a SEGA console. And it was a great start. The story is no where near as complex as in Sonic Adventure 1 or Sonic Adventure 2. But to me that is the way it should be. Sonic games don't need big plots. The gameplay is similar to SA1&2 but with a new team gimmick. And it works well. The control though is noticeably worse than SA1&2 it's really slippery. But the level design is really good in alot of places like grand metropolis. Sonic Heroes is a gorgeous looking GameCube game. It's really looks like a 2D sonic game brought into the 3D world. For example the checkerboard walls in Seaside hill. The soundtracks is great. Sonic Heroes in my opinion is better than SA1. And much better than SA2. I recommend it to anyone who likes platformers Expand
  7. May 5, 2013
    This game has been positively mixed for me. The concept of having three characters on a team makes this game extraordinary and fun to play with, there are levels that provide a completely new stage look for graphics and the re are not to many load screens and cgi content. The thing that bugs me the most is the amount of glitches that I keep encountering on the GCN. The stages in the Sonic and Dark stages are like marathons that take forever and all the teams have to go through the stages at the exact same time and the bosses. The voice acting is decent, with the exception of Tails, who ruined the experience. This game is highly satisfying and is highly recommended for a good experience. Expand
  8. Feb 21, 2013
    This game is dear to me (I rate it a 9) well, it was my first sonic game, so I am bias. I LOVE IT, the team gimmick was great, this was the best time they made big health-bar enemies, but we have power, and the level ups made everything easier. But with team dark, it was balanced, a relatively tough, dialogue was ok. Graphics were fine, music, AWESOME, I shall say my 1 problem (the common one) off the top of my head, 3% OF A PLOT, no plot, I don't want to go into detail, I am only semi-scratching the surface of my views, but I do not want to give the reader who wants to read many reviews a hard time, so yah, IL THIS GAME. Expand
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    This was the last good Sonic game for a long, long time. I love how this game plays out like a movie, complete with bright visuals, cool camera angles, a great sense of speed and rockin music. The teammate gameplay is original and properly executed and each stage has a fair amount of platforming and large worlds to explore. The voice acting is also very well done and fits the campy nature of the game perfectly, though you will either love or hate Tails's noticably younger voice. Me, I don't mind him, I actually think he sounds funny and cute. Cream on the other hand was very annoying and all throughout the game I wanted her to shut up. While I'm on the negative, this game does have a fair amount of glitches, since each team plays through the same stages in the same order the game can get really repetitive and the controls can often be slippery due to the characters' speed. Overall this is still a very fun game; I just don't know why so many people feel mixed about it. It's probably because they think it's part of the adventure series when it really is not. The gameplay is different, the tone is different, even the way the Chaos emeralds are presented is different (they're prizes awarded after completing bonus stages as oppose to being plot devices). Judging it as a game on it's own, it's very underrated if you ask me. Collapse
  10. Aug 8, 2012
    I really liked sonic heroes, with the click of a button you could perform different tasks with different characters, and using your characters wisely led to an enjoyable experience, the one thing I did not like however, was the requirement to collect the chaos emeralds in bonus levels, it was very frustrating to do so.
  11. Jul 30, 2012
    This is a great game.Many different levels and special levels.Pleasantly play for each team.Cool music.Just nostalgia.I a great many more, you can write about this wonderful game.It gets me to the highest assessment.I suggest playing all holders ps2.It created for the game ps 2.
  12. Apr 4, 2012
    sonic heroes sonic best of gc, pathetic graphics, the game succeeded, emerald fashion a bit difficult but enjoyable. mode has 2 person disappointing story mode successful battle against the boss as successful
  13. Jan 26, 2012
    This is my favorite Sonic game. It's different. You have three characters with you, one fast, one flying and one strong. That's what makes this game good compared to the other sonics. You play with everyone nice: Sonic, Espio, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. You have really nice cutscenes and an epic last battle. Sometimes it's a little bit repetitive, thought...
  14. Dec 29, 2011
    Sonic Heroes is a pretty good game. It's fun, good fun. You will see your self getting into plenty off platforming as the game has many platforming moments like a classic sonic game. There are plenty of hidden areas such as a hidden V.I.P pinball room in Casino highway. They even had a sonic 2-esque special stage. You will get many hours of entertainment, but you may get frustrated when you find weird instant deaths occurring in small parts of the game. To add to that note, you'll only want to play as Team Sonic, as team dark isnt interesting, team rose is retarded, & team chaotix is....well there missions are too short to me. The graphics are vibrant & colorful. This game has much potential, but things such as weird ingame bugs & the fact that most areas are labeled with which person you have to use kinda ruin it. So an 8 is my score. Solid game, solid gameplay, some annoying bugs.... Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    Sonic Heroes seems to be that marmite Sonic game that some people liked and others hated. Perhaps it's the nostalgia talking but I'm a pretty big fan of this game. The stages are huge and don't feel repetitive, at least until near the end when you die and the last checkpoint was miles off. The team idea is often shot down but in my opinion it works. Switching between the three characters feels smooth since they all move at similar speed (no giant contrast like in Sonic Unleashed) and they're all easy to use. The graphics were great back then, and even today they're really nice to look at. The voice acting is a mixed bag. Sonic, Tails, Charmy and Team Rose get on my nerves sometimes but other than that it's pretty high quality stuff. This is a step down from Sonic Adventure, but not a huge nosedive like many make it out to be. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    The fact that you can play as three characters from the Sonic series at once makes it all that much better. I like the design and the amount of characters you can use.
  17. Nov 3, 2011
    While it was too different at first, I really came to connect with this game and get drawn into the story and unique gameplay. While it had many of the same elements from past Sonic game, it was completely different in it's own way with it's vast uniqueness int he formula of using three characters at once. I really enjoyed it! One of my favorite final bosses ever -- Metal Overlord.
  18. Jul 13, 2011
    Colorful graphics but bland in detail, to crude. Sometimes the unresponsive control slips away and make undesireable deaths, boring platforms and awful voice is avoidable. So, what now? fun? maybe a little.....
  19. Apr 14, 2011
    I loved playing this back when the Gamecube was the **** but now, after growing pretty high standards, this game comes off as tedious and mediocre. The teamwork aspect seems pretty cool at first, but then you realize that the levels are built around exploiting it as much as possible. It's not only flow-breaking to constantly change characters to do a task like defeating airborne enemies and breaking walls in these long levels, but there are little to no alternate paths that can be taken with the teamwork ability. In other words, it's a pointless gimmick.

The enemies themselves are also tedium. I praise Sonic Team for making enemies harder to defeat, but they come across it the wrong way. Every enemy has a health bar, making defeating them longer and more tedious, ESPECIALLY when you're stuck in a room where it is mandatory to defeat a horde of enemies. The most frustrating session near the end where you fight the giant, hammer-wielding robots back to back, sometimes THREE AT ONCE.

However, the biggest flaw is having to replay all the levels over again in each story in the same exact order. Not only are these levels long (ranging from three to twelve minutes), but playing them over and over again for each team gets boring after a while (may I remind you that all the teams play remotely the same). The only team gameplay with a notable difference is the Chaotix Team story, and sometimes it's even worse. It involves accomplishing missions in each stage, ranging from the nice "collect-a-thon" to the challening "get through the stage unnoticed" to the anger-enducing "DESTROY EVERY ENEMY IN THE **** STAGE"

Positives? Well, the graphics are beautiful and colorful. Also, the soundtrack kicks ass, with my favorities being Ocean Palace and Hang Castle music. The special stages is also fun for the most part. The gameplay does get fun once you put aside the frustrations, but going through stages over and over is unforgivable. Also, the voice acting sucks, with characters like Cream and Big being the worst (speaking of which, why are all these characters here anyways? The Chaotix gang? From the 32X game Knuckles' Chaotix.......really?).

To wrap things up, this game isn't really a bad game, but it does have a lot of annoying problems here and there that makes it hard to recommend to the general videogame community. My suggestion is to play a copy your friend already has.

Overal Rating: 6.5/10
  20. Dec 24, 2010
    It's an okay linear adventure game, but at the same time it kinda sucks. Which makes the fact that it's the best 3D Sonic game I've ever played seem even more tragic. There was a little fun to be had but otherwise you should avoid Sonic Heroes if you can.
  21. Nov 7, 2012

1. 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - 32 gold [Vol 786]
  2. The glorious 3D speed rush is still broken by moments where you will csream with rage inspired by whatever sadism or idiocy has kept Sonic Team from fixing its camera and control schemes after five years of 3D Sonic games.
  3. The camera is crap, the scale is awkward, the story and characters are basic and cringe-worthy, the combat is tedious, the platforming and puzzling is too basic, and I was well bored of it by the time I conquered the final level with the first of the four Teams, which wasn't even that long after I first grabbed it out of the shrink-wrap.