8.6

1. Nov 18, 2017
    The game is pretty buggy at times, but it's really fun and enjoyable. F.L.U.D.D was a fun addition to the game. It felt like I was actually accomplishing something when I grabbed a Shine Sprite. I love the cartooniness of this game and the game-play is great.
  2. Nov 15, 2017
    It's not just the blue coins that are the problem. There is just an insane amount of unfun things that the game wants you to do. The hub world is absolutely incredible though and is clearly the best thing about the game.
  3. Nov 14, 2017
    A see a lot of mixed opinions on this game and I understand why, this game is missing a lot of defining features that other mario games had. Things like the triple jump, the long jump, and etc. Those are just minor things though and I really hope they make a tribute to this game one day. I think it's too late to ever make a second one but hey, I'll stay optimistic on this one. This gameA see a lot of mixed opinions on this game and I understand why, this game is missing a lot of defining features that other mario games had. Things like the triple jump, the long jump, and etc. Those are just minor things though and I really hope they make a tribute to this game one day. I think it's too late to ever make a second one but hey, I'll stay optimistic on this one. This game was really a breath of fresh air from traditional mario games and I'm glad they took that step because so many fun and original characters came out of this game. The environments are also spectacular in this game, I feel like I say that with most mario games though. I loved how the continued the idea of having a hub world in this game though because it feels closely linked to super mario 64. This game is so fun, so bright, and challenging enough to keep anyone playing. Once again Nintendo has found a way to make a perfect balance Expand
  4. Nov 14, 2017
    This game is easily the worst 3D Mario platform game. Super Mario Sunshine is a game that feels unfinished and rushed. The camera is mediocre and a lot of the levels is this game feel very repetitive and glitchy. Some of these levels would be the Il piantissimo levels, the shadow mario chase levels, and the giant blooper boss fight levels. These levels appear frequently throughout the gameThis game is easily the worst 3D Mario platform game. Super Mario Sunshine is a game that feels unfinished and rushed. The camera is mediocre and a lot of the levels is this game feel very repetitive and glitchy. Some of these levels would be the Il piantissimo levels, the shadow mario chase levels, and the giant blooper boss fight levels. These levels appear frequently throughout the game with little to no changes which make them feel stale very fast. The controls are said to be the best controls in a 3D Mario game ever which if you actually played the game, you would know is completely false. Mario slips and slides everywhere which makes the game frustrating as it is tiring to land on a platform only for Mario to slip right off. The physics engine in this game is unbelievably terrible because of this. Another example of terrible controls would be the levels where you're underwater collecting red coins and cleaning an eel's teeth. These levels are bad and aren't fun in execution because of the terrible controls not allowing Mario to go where you want him to. The worlds aren't very interesting to explore and it's a good thing too (probably the only good thing you can say about this heaping pile of trash) since Mario Sunshine doesn't reward you for exploration at all. You could argue the blue coins exist for this reason, but the blue coins don't do anything useful so they're completely pointless! Fludd doesn't do much to the gameplay, in fact he hinders it because of the removal of the long jump. Because of this, the levels where you don't have fludd are some of the worst in the game. After playing the extremely forgettable and overrated super mario sunshine, it's clear to see that people only like it because they are extremely blinded by nostalgia for the sonic 06 of the mario series. Maybe if the game wasn't so rushed it could actually be considered playable. I expect much more from Nintendo. You should too. Expand
  5. Nov 6, 2017
    This is the best Mario 64 sequel we could have got. It improves in almost every way while having new mechanics to feel new. It would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for the lack of polish that other mario games have.
  6. Oct 22, 2017
    Super Mario Sunshine was amazing. It had a great story, soundtrack and it had an amazing feel to it. Would I call it better than 64, no... Would I call it worse, no... They are equally great games, F.L.U.D.D. was the cute little assist that really made this game what it was. Overall Mario Sunshine had some minor issues but they were all made up for with the game's charm.
  7. Jul 8, 2017
    While the story could have been better I like every other aspect of the game. The graphics are shiny, the gameplay is very addictive, F.L.U.D.D is a great new mechanic, and the levels are so fun! Very underrated but its a hidden gem a very shiny hidden gem.
  8. Apr 15, 2017
    El mejor Mario de todos:
    - Excelente cámara
    - Excelente control - Excelente soundtrack - Niveles, dificultad y jefes INCREÍBLES. - Tiene la paleta de colores más bonita, pues combina todo a la perfección, tanto los colores del pasto, la arena y el agua (muy azul, lo cual me encanta) junto a la pintoresca Delfino Plaza. - Por la ambientación que tiene gracias al agua, este juego es
    El mejor Mario de todos:
    - Excelente cámara
    - Excelente control
    - Excelente soundtrack
    - Niveles, dificultad y jefes INCREÍBLES.
    - Por la ambientación que tiene gracias al agua, este juego es sumamente relajante, no sé porqué.

Gracias a Satoru Iwata, Yoshiaki Koizumi y Takashi Tezuka por este gran juego.
  9. Apr 8, 2017
    Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game I've ever played in the Nintendo GameCube. It had more storytelling than Mario 64, beautiful graphics and designs, fun gameplay, a lot of new elements including F.L.U.D.D. and Yoshi, smoother controls, improved boss battles and difficulty over Mario 64 and excellent music. Unfortunately, it still has the same camera issues like Mario 64 and theSuper Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game I've ever played in the Nintendo GameCube. It had more storytelling than Mario 64, beautiful graphics and designs, fun gameplay, a lot of new elements including F.L.U.D.D. and Yoshi, smoother controls, improved boss battles and difficulty over Mario 64 and excellent music. Unfortunately, it still has the same camera issues like Mario 64 and the secret levels are a mix, sometimes it can be fun and challenging especially with F.L.U.D.D and the red coin missions, while others, it can get quite frustrating and annoying without F.L.U.D.D, and if you make a mistake once, you have to start all over again without any sort of checkpoints due to how short these levels are. That's all the flaws I can easily point out. If you loved Super Mario 64 so much, you'll love this game even more. And If you ever own a Nintendo GameCube, this is a must-own for your NGC library. I gave it the same score as Super Mario 64, a 9 out of 10. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2017
    Freaking voice acting! The most fun levels are the bonus super mario galaxy-esque levels. Some of the levels in this game are really frustrating and the voice acting is awful!
  11. Mar 14, 2017
    Content - 10
    Personal Fun - 9
    DIfficulty - 9 .
  12. Mar 11, 2017
    So far this will be my favorite 3D Mario platformer ever. I love its Soundtrack, its Level design, its Setting, its Gameplay, etc. this is a very worth it game.
  13. Mar 9, 2017
    When most people look at this game, they tend to believe it is a step back after Super Mario 64. However, if you look at this game from an unbiased standpoint, then you will realize it is superior to that game in every way. The most important improvement about this game is the controls. In 64, the controls ranged from being either decent to down right awful, while in sunshine the controlsWhen most people look at this game, they tend to believe it is a step back after Super Mario 64. However, if you look at this game from an unbiased standpoint, then you will realize it is superior to that game in every way. The most important improvement about this game is the controls. In 64, the controls ranged from being either decent to down right awful, while in sunshine the controls are nearly perfect thanks to the use of the amazing GameCube controller. Also, with the use of FLUDD and many new tricks Mario can perform, Sunshine's platforming and gameplay are much better in this game. Another important change was the implication of a bit more linearity in the levels. In 64, some of the levels were very tedious as you had no clue what to do or where to go sometimes, but in Sunshine, before the levels begins, you are given a glimpse at where you must go. However, even with both of these improvements, Sunshine has a difficulty level that is much higher than the previous game, which is most of the time a good thing, though sometimes it can really get frustrating. Other great parts of this game include the addition of Yoshi, beautifully designed locations, plenty of secrets to discover, better boss battles, unique concept, and so much fun to be had. Super Mario Sunshine is a truly amazing 3D platformer, though not quite 3D platforming perfection. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2017
    Not quite as good as Super Mario 64 but still an amazing game and one of the best on the Gamecube. Graphics are far superior to SM64 but the camera can get annoying sometimes, Still a great game and well worth a look.
  15. Feb 1, 2017
    Super Mario Sunshine is a fantastic follow up to the Nintendo 64 classic Super Mario 64. F.L.U.D.D, while a bit gimmicky, is extremely fun to use, especially with the hover nozzle, to do neat platforming tricks. The levels are gigantic, several times bigger than Mario 64, and exploration is both encouraged and fun. This is my all time favorite video game, tied with Super Mario Galaxy.Super Mario Sunshine is a fantastic follow up to the Nintendo 64 classic Super Mario 64. F.L.U.D.D, while a bit gimmicky, is extremely fun to use, especially with the hover nozzle, to do neat platforming tricks. The levels are gigantic, several times bigger than Mario 64, and exploration is both encouraged and fun. This is my all time favorite video game, tied with Super Mario Galaxy. However, this game isn't perfect. Collecting the blue coins required to get 24 of the 120 shines is tedious, some missions can be very frustrating for first time players, 100 coin missions are still a pain in the ass, and while the levels are definitely larger and encourage exploration, mission structure is not as open and loose as it was in Mario 64; you play the missions in order for the most part. Still, a fantastic game and a must buy for Gamecube owners. Expand
  16. Jan 30, 2017
    The best 3d platform Mario game to date besides Mario 64. Had the most coolest and creative environments with great soundtrack and all new characters and bosses. Simply outstanding.
  17. Dec 5, 2016
    This game is amazing. That's is all I can say.

The gameplay, while a bit bland, is super fun. The graphics are super well done. Sound effects are well done.

The only bad part is, what I said, a bit bland.

If you have a Gamecube, get this game now.
  18. Nov 4, 2016
    Super Mario Sunshine is more original than Galaxy which in my opinion is amazing. The plot is weird but we get to see great characters and much more. The gameplay is amazing and the game is always as hard as ever. Mario Sunshine is my FAVORITE mario game and one of my favorite video games.
  19. Oct 23, 2016
    By far, this game is among some of the best 3D Mario games, including Galaxy, and 64. This was my first Mario game, and it was quite frankly amazing. The use of F.L.U.D.D in this game is marvelous, It has a very relaxing atmosphere, because the game is set on a tropical island, and it really sets the mood for the whole game.
  20. Oct 16, 2016
    Super Mario Sunshine was one of my favorite GameCube titles growing up. I have replayed this game well over 5 times and have not once grown bored of it. Hopefully one day Nintendo can release a sequel.
  21. Aug 31, 2016
    O jogo é tedioso, o gamecube nao tem um jogo memorável do mario, fases chatas, musicas fracas, estilo de jogabilidade nada divertida, os graficos estao bons
  22. Aug 3, 2016
    Belleza de juego
    Me encanto, su jugabilidad, la musica, la dificultad, los niveles o mundos y la duracion
    Belleza de juego
    wow, una pasada de juego. Para mi, el mejor mario de la historia se sale de lo comun una joya de la Gamecube que su unico pecado del juego... fue salir en la consola menos vendida de la historia de nintendo (exceptuando a wii u obvio) pero no es mala consola. Juegazo y espero que algun dia salga Mario Sunshine 2
  23. Jul 10, 2016
    I used to love how Nintendo wasn't afraid of innovating and this was possibly one of the best examples of how a Mario game can be innovative. This game has hours of fun packed in and a lot of collectibles (120 sprites and hundreds of blue coins). This is how a real 3D platformer should be!
  24. May 27, 2016
    Super Mario Sunshine was a game that if not for a faulty camera system, would've been the best main series Mario game to date. Other than that however, this game is a masterpiece from top to bottom, and it receives way more hate than it should. While FLUDD was fairly gimmicky, the platforming action was still top notch, and the gameworld felt more fleshed out than that of any other mainSuper Mario Sunshine was a game that if not for a faulty camera system, would've been the best main series Mario game to date. Other than that however, this game is a masterpiece from top to bottom, and it receives way more hate than it should. While FLUDD was fairly gimmicky, the platforming action was still top notch, and the gameworld felt more fleshed out than that of any other main series Mario game. In addition, the boss fights are immensely fun. Definitely one of the best Gamecube games out there. Expand
  25. May 16, 2016
    Интереснейшая игра с очень красивой для того времени графикой и схожим с Super Mario 64 геймплеем! Атмосферные локации, которые просто не хочется покидать, да и музыка в общем то приятна на слух :) Очень жду версии на New 3DS :)
  26. Apr 28, 2016
    Super Mario Sunshine is to this day my only Gamecube game and one of my favorite games as a child. Now before i start i need to stress the fact that i have a bit of a nostalgia bias for Mario Sunshine, i'll try to be as objective as i can, but don't think that this review is going to be 100%...well...objective.

STORY: After Mario finishes his adventure in Super Mario 64, the Princess,

STORY: After Mario finishes his adventure in Super Mario 64, the Princess, the Uncle Toad and Mario go on vacation, but when they arrive a strange liquid is in the middle of the landing track so Mario goes to investigate and he founds F.L.U.D.D a water-spraying-talking-jetpack-rocket-turbo-backpack that helps Mario to clean the ugly liquid, but then he gets arrested by the police, this happens because a "Shadow Mario" has been painting the entire island with "Dark Paint" and now Mario has to go clean the island and find his evil doppelganger.

Something that bothers me about the plot is that the isle defino residents are complete idiots when making this decision, because for 1 Mario JUST ARRIVED from an airplane, so how can he be the one responsible?. And 2, Shadow Mario is clearly black while the real Mario is in full color. But nah, it's just an excuse to set-up the adventure is no big deal. Plus it makes a lot more sense than a character not being able to open a door even tho he has a ******* bazooka.

PRESENTATION: Super Mario Sunshine looks and sounds very good by today's standards and for a Gamecube game for that matter. The character models are really well done with lots of details within them and beautiful/vibrant colors. Same goes for the animations, they are responsive, they look good and in the cutscenes (yeah this time we have cutscenes for some reason) they shine...though is not always great. The game runs at 30fps and the resolution is around 360p-480p, but c'mon it's a Gamecube game cut it some slack.

In terms of music...i mean it's Mario game of course it's gonna have amazing music. The game now has a beach theme to it and the music really reflects that, with catchy songs and melodies that fit perfectly with the environments.

GAMEPLAY: Super Mario Sunshine is your standard 3D connectathon platforming game. You have different worlds to explore with creative, fun levels thrown about...for the most part.

In each level you will have a certain objective to achieve like get from point A to point B or beat a boss, find this, get this, spray Shadow Mario a few times, collect a 100 coins, push a stupid watermelon that explodes at the slightest of wrong moves or collision, OR GET RED COINS ON A ******* PACHINKO MACHINE THAT CONTROLS LIKE **** or on a stupid lily-pad with poisonous water below you or...ok you get the picture. Not every level is great, some of them are pretty fun and easy, while others are unfair and hard. This content zig-zag of challenge is a bit frustrating, but with enough trial and error you will beat the stage. Each time you clear these objectives you will get a shine sprite, which are these game's power stars and there's 120 in total.

The big feature of the game is F.L.U.D.D, you know the water-spraying-talking-jetpack-rocket-turbo-backpack that accompanies Mario throughout the whole adventure. F.L.U.D.D has 4 different modes that can be switched by pressing X:

Spaying mode: You spray water to clean the environment or defeat the enemy. It's used pretty creatively the more you play, but it's the less interesting of the 4.

Jetpack mode: The name says it all, F.L.U.D.D becomes a jetpack and it allows Mario to hover which in a platforming game is completely BROKEN.

Rocket mode: This is an upgrade that you get from a box later on the game and...do i even need to explain it?, F.L.U.D.D becomes a rocket and with enough charge you get blasted to the sky!!. Really fun to use.

Turbo-Splash-Water-Speed-Accelerator Mode: Mario gets a huge boots of speed both on the ground and the most useful and fun site to use it: water.

F.L.U.D.D can only hold 2 upgrades at a time, but the spray mode is locked, so in order to switch from one to another you will have to open certain boxes, which can get a bit tedious, but it's no big deal. To use any of these you will need to have a certain level of water, without water F.L.U.D.D is useless.

However in some levels not using F.L.U.D.D is the name of the game, because Shadow Mario will take it and you will have to complete an entire platforming based level in order to get it back. These levels are really fun for the most part and they show of the incredible control this game has with or without F.L.U.D.D.

The last 2 things i have to say is that: Yoshi is in the game and he controls really well with his classic flutter jump and...spray juice ability...ugh. And **** the blue coins!!, there's 240 of them and many are hidden in very cryptic places and they're just a waste of time, but they are required to complete the game 100%.

Overall Super Mario Sunshine is a must own for a Gamecube owner and i'll give it an 8/10.
  27. Apr 21, 2016
    Super Mario Sunshine is a great game but it has some flaws. The camera is notoriously bad and the controls are not the best, but the design of the game is flawless.
  28. Apr 18, 2016
    This is very average game . Very good graphics for 2002 , but terrible storyline . Gameplay is normal . In this game Mario has got water gun . In this game is interesting bosses . This game is not one of the best game on Nintendo GayClub . Normal game . 5/10 , but thanks graphics and bosses .
  29. Mar 19, 2016
    Sunshine is a pretty good game, if you're not going for 100% completion. If you are... you may be disappointed. Super Mario Sunshine also has somewhat of a story, but in the end, it's the same old Mario story we're used to, so no spoilers. But hey, Bowser Junior makes his first appearance in this game, so that's nice. It controls pretty well, the soundtrack, while not as good as previousSunshine is a pretty good game, if you're not going for 100% completion. If you are... you may be disappointed. Super Mario Sunshine also has somewhat of a story, but in the end, it's the same old Mario story we're used to, so no spoilers. But hey, Bowser Junior makes his first appearance in this game, so that's nice. It controls pretty well, the soundtrack, while not as good as previous games, is memorable. The graphics could be better, but they're still pretty good. Overall, Mario Sunshine is decent. I wish I could say that about the next games I'm going to review. Expand
  30. Jan 28, 2016
    Super Mario Sunshine is just what every Mario fan and GameCube owner wanted. The present was this impressing gameplay and the story here actually works.
  31. Jan 13, 2016
    It was like Super Mario 64 to me, just better. Sure the water cannon led to a different gameplay and feeling. But not in a bad way. Performing and learning new techniques with that thing was enjoyable. The light-hearted location with its great soundtrack was enjoyable. And even the party frustrating "Galaxy" worlds were enjoyable. A classic.
  32. Dec 20, 2015
    This game is awesome. It's one of my favourite Nintendo GameCube Games of All-Time. The graphics are amazing. The Storyline is one of the best things about this game (except for Mario being blamed). The music is good. The controls are okay. The gameplay is good. The level designs are awesome but some Shines are difficult to get. Super Mario Sunshine is a must own for All GameCube/WiiThis game is awesome. It's one of my favourite Nintendo GameCube Games of All-Time. The graphics are amazing. The Storyline is one of the best things about this game (except for Mario being blamed). The music is good. The controls are okay. The gameplay is good. The level designs are awesome but some Shines are difficult to get. Super Mario Sunshine is a must own for All GameCube/Wii Owners and you should go pick it up and if you hate SMS, you're silly as JB. Expand
  33. Sep 3, 2015
    This is perhaps my favourite game to just sit down and play for fun. There is so much good to say about it: Graphics years ahead of its time, cool mechanics with the varying nozzles the game has to offer with the Zelda-esc partner of the game, Fludd. The voice acting is fantastic in my opinion and really adds to the character the game offers as well as the array of new enemies introducedThis is perhaps my favourite game to just sit down and play for fun. There is so much good to say about it: Graphics years ahead of its time, cool mechanics with the varying nozzles the game has to offer with the Zelda-esc partner of the game, Fludd. The voice acting is fantastic in my opinion and really adds to the character the game offers as well as the array of new enemies introduced to the Mario world including: Cataquacks, Petey Piranha and even Bowser Jr. showing the classic enemies do not leave the Mushroom Kingdom, adding a cool, yet uncharacteristic sense of realism to the game. Overall, I would suggest anyone play this game and will be playing it myself until (If) I stop playing video games all together! Expand
  34. May 29, 2015
    I adore this game! this is the first mario game i have ever played. i first played back in 2007, and to this day, I still belive that this is the best mario game out there! theres only one problem though, there are SO MANY BLUE COINS!!!
  35. Apr 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is possibly the best on the Gamecube. Not only were the visuals stunning at the time but also today, but the most amazing thing has to be the soundtrack. My word Sierra Beach astounded me by it's atmosphere the most, but there are some problems. First of all, the camera sometimes clips into walls, which is never good; but can become nauseating by the time you're done with a play session. This added with the tedious Red Coin levels and you've got yourself a problem. But besides that this game is fantastic, and despite many saying that the voice acting is atrocious I found that it added to the experience; I mean we've never heard Bowser speak or the Toads say anything but RAWR and HAI respectively. I gave it a 9.5 on my channel also titled Batfreeze, but seeing as I can't do that here a 9 will have to suffice. Bravo Nintendo on creating another masterpiece to last throughout the ages. Expand
  36. Apr 1, 2015
    Super Mario Sunshine although great for a Mario game has its bonuses and its flaws the bonuses are the fun jumping and Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dowsing device Mechanics along with interesting levels full of weird shapes Shadow Mario Yoshi's along with a reasonably compelling story.
    The bad of Super Mario Sunshine well I don't like to be negative but there are problems with almost everything in life depending on your perspective.
    From my perspective Mario Sunshine has really frustrating shines and can be almost unreasonably frustrating it also has somewhat of a lack of story compared to deeper Zelda games the game has glitches that are not useful rather just annoying and often make the game more difficult still.
    The biggest problem with Sunshine is that it gets repetitive in the same way that killed Hyrule Warriors but not quite as bad.
    Overall a good game but in my opinion Mario 64 is still the superior game
  37. Mar 22, 2015
    Mario Sunshine is often considered the "black sheep" (that's the term, right?) of the 3D Mario games and while I can see why, I hold no grudge over the tropical, water-filled experience. F.LU.D.D. is an excellent game mechanic that I won't forget for some time. The coin-collecting missions, I'll admit, were something that I don't enjoy but overall, Super Mario Sunshine is another greatMario Sunshine is often considered the "black sheep" (that's the term, right?) of the 3D Mario games and while I can see why, I hold no grudge over the tropical, water-filled experience. F.LU.D.D. is an excellent game mechanic that I won't forget for some time. The coin-collecting missions, I'll admit, were something that I don't enjoy but overall, Super Mario Sunshine is another great title in the Mario series. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Expand
  38. Jan 22, 2015
    Classics never die:

Super Mario Sunshine is a game that cannot be forgotten. The experience it creates is very important those who play it, and the fun never seems to stop! You can come right back only a week or 2 later and start playing again! See, replayability is the reason games like this stay strong for so long: you can just keep playing! Nintendo did it very right with Super
    Classics never die:

Nintendo did it very right with Super Mario Sunshine. With decisions that defined the platforming genre forever as well as giving players a fun, memorable experience with plenty of challenge to try at.

Control: The feeling of playing as Mario is very responsive, thanks to the GameCube's intelligently designed controllers that people still praise to this very day. The way Mario can be maneuvered in multiple ways was taken by the previous installment, Super Mario 64. Excellent choice by the way.

Camera: Only at certain times does the camera seem to not perfectly work with the player, but it can get used to after awhile. The fact that the player can easily zoom in and out and rotated all around Mario was a smart idea!

Story: This is part of the reason we didn't give Super Mario Sunshine a perfect 10: character's dialogues and actions seem hilariously silly and even awkward, but it's not a game breaking problem since the unskippable cut scenes are not at every single corner. It's not the worst story/dialogue ever though, it just seems the writers could've maybe did some polishing up, but we infer they were spending time on the gameplay instead. Good choice to say the least.

Gameplay: This is the most important part of a game to us: the way Super Mario Sunshine challenges players in various ways that have a smooth difficulty arc that doesn't leave the level line upward very often. The way the game throws different scenarios and challenges at the player feels very natural, although some levels later on can be very difficult only due to the fact that there's more of a "get it perfectly right after a million tries" feel than just using action and thinking skills. The gameplay does feel diverse, and tends to not wear down on the player as they progress through the levels of the game. There's a good amount of hidden Shine Sprites, Blue Coins, and sometimes levels that are hidden in the levels of the game, giving the player the satisfying feeling of really adventuring through a big, paradise island.

Graphics and Music: For it's time, it looked fantastic. For today's standards, it's not very behind. The colors are so bright and welcoming, but not over shining in the player's face that it hurts. The fact that the game has a very well created soundtrack only adds to the fun feeling of being in a unique world with original enemies, landscapes, and attributes. It's a blast to play a game that feels so welcoming and exciting at the same time. The amount of successful escapism is unbeatable so far.

Super Mario Sunshine has many positive attributes that make it a great game, remaining forever as a classic with unforgettable memories for those who indulge in the experience.
  39. Jan 16, 2015
    This game is the best mario for gameplay. The controls are EXTREMELY tight. Every move is very fluid. There are so many different ways to jump. The parkour tricks you can pull off are limitless. FLUDD was an amazing addition to the game. It let them make harder levels while still making it doable. By far my favorite Mario of all time. Only downside is the voice acting is bad, but who caresThis game is the best mario for gameplay. The controls are EXTREMELY tight. Every move is very fluid. There are so many different ways to jump. The parkour tricks you can pull off are limitless. FLUDD was an amazing addition to the game. It let them make harder levels while still making it doable. By far my favorite Mario of all time. Only downside is the voice acting is bad, but who cares about that when the gameplay is SO GOOD. My favorite videogame of all time. It is so free and open world. It is a great example of almost perfect gameplay. Also, the some people complain about the camera, but this game has one of the best camera systems because not only does it automatically change view, the c-stick can be used to manipulate the camera manually. This is very useful in this game because the levels are so complex. Im going to say it one more time because I can't emphasize this enough, the jump and movement mechanics in this game are LEGENDARY, fluid, innovative. Mario 64 used a lot of rigid jumps like the tuck backflip and the long jump. They didnt feel natural. Sunshine's backflip doesnt need a tuck beforehand. There are single, double and triple jumps, spin jumps, spin triple jumps, spin wall jumps, slides, dives. The dives can be performed in tandem with jumps that basically can substitute long jumps. The learning curve is decently quick, but it extends for a long time. Watch a speedrun of this game and you will see what I mean. This game is fun. Really fun. It is not perfect, but no game has given me more joy than this one. Expand
  40. Jan 14, 2015
    is absolutely amazing, the graphics are sick for a gamecube game. When you play you feel like if you are in the game. I played this on my summer vacations of 2008 and I enjoyed it so much, beautiful times when i had my cousins over in my house and play this like crazy and after that we going to get some girls on the streets lol lol
  41. Dec 31, 2014
    By far the best 3D mario. Many people rag on the FLUDD mechanic simply because it doesn't follow the average mario formula. i believe this Mario was the most creative, interesting, and just downright fun 3D mario game. it is the predecessor to Super Mario Galaxy, and the successor to Super Mario 64. Sporting one of the best controllers of all time as a tool to play it with to boot, theBy far the best 3D mario. Many people rag on the FLUDD mechanic simply because it doesn't follow the average mario formula. i believe this Mario was the most creative, interesting, and just downright fun 3D mario game. it is the predecessor to Super Mario Galaxy, and the successor to Super Mario 64. Sporting one of the best controllers of all time as a tool to play it with to boot, the Gamecube controller. This game is easy to pick up, easy to learn, and will have you addicted all the way through. this game gets a solid 9 from me. this game is not a ten for the sole reason that the game is fairly short, with only 5 or 6 worlds, you can get to the final shine fairly quickly. but there are tons of side activities and shines to grab to occupy even more of your time

Conclusion: Definitely worth a play. Whether or not you think its the best 3D mario after playing, you will certainly be enjoying yourself all the way through.
  42. nfc
    Dec 25, 2014
    Super Mario Sunshine is hands down the best video game I've ever played in my entire life. Everything in this game is perfect. I'd love to see a sequel of some sort.
  43. Dec 21, 2014
    This game is actually quite fun, despite the haters. I loved it as a kid, and I still love it today. The reason it doesn't get a 10/10 is because there are some annoying levels, but even those aren't usually that bad. In the end, Nintendo tried out something new and creative and it may not have been perfect but it still worked very well.

Here's hoping to a Super Mario Sunshine 2!
  44. Dec 7, 2014
    I really feel the general public was too quick to judge this game before they were even able to get their hands onto it. F.L.U.D.D. was a strange concept, yes, but not a bad one. Nintendo tried to do something new, and the people who made up their mind before giving this game a try missed out.
    With the releases in the New Super Mario Bros. series people have complained that nothing is really new, yet people complained when Nintendo tried to do something different by introducing the F.L.U.D.D. mechanic.
    Anyhow, if you still haven't played Super Mario Sunshine and are on the fence about it, give it a go. As long as you enter with an open mind, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    Good graphics (for the time), good gameplay, and good game feel. 9/10.
  45. Nov 13, 2014
    It is evident that Nintendo made an island-themed platformer and then threw Mario into it. Apparently, that was the actual origin story, if one wants to do the research. It may seem that this would sink the Mario franchise, but instead lifts it up, proving that Mario can adapt to nearly any game, setting, and power-up system as long as quality is present. Now for Super Mario Hyrule...
  46. Nov 11, 2014
    This game is so stressful and unfair at some points but I love it because it's the first Mario game I ever played and the reason I love the series so much now.
  47. Jul 26, 2014
    Super Mario Sunshine is much like the shine sprite in the center of Delfino Island: It's grand, it's colorful, but it's also plastered with graffiti that prevents it from being a truly masterful game. While containing some of the most inventive segments and levels in the 3D Mario series, it also stumbles on more of its key concepts than any game prior. FLUDD and the nozzles with it, forSuper Mario Sunshine is much like the shine sprite in the center of Delfino Island: It's grand, it's colorful, but it's also plastered with graffiti that prevents it from being a truly masterful game. While containing some of the most inventive segments and levels in the 3D Mario series, it also stumbles on more of its key concepts than any game prior. FLUDD and the nozzles with it, for instance, work most of the time, but can harm the player at inopportune times, and the camera can be hard to control in corners and behind obstacles. In general, Super Mario Sunshine is a delightful game, as long as the player can overlook the structural flaws that appear every so often. For a full review, check out the review on my site at Wordpress.com. Expand
  48. Jul 21, 2014
    Super Mario Sunshine es sinónimo de diversión. He vuelto a jugar muy pocos juegos igual de divertidos que este. Los escenarios, los personajes que los habitan, las habilidades con la máquina del agua, la búsqueda de los soles,... Todo era colorido y te invitaba a seguir jugando, que difícil era soltar el mando! Podría volver a jugarlo ahora y volver a engancharme, es uno de esos juegos queSuper Mario Sunshine es sinónimo de diversión. He vuelto a jugar muy pocos juegos igual de divertidos que este. Los escenarios, los personajes que los habitan, las habilidades con la máquina del agua, la búsqueda de los soles,... Todo era colorido y te invitaba a seguir jugando, que difícil era soltar el mando! Podría volver a jugarlo ahora y volver a engancharme, es uno de esos juegos que no tienen fecha de caducidad. Imprescindible. Expand
  49. Jul 3, 2014
    I love this game so much. It is the first GameCube game i have ever played and have fond memories of it and to this day i enjoy it a lot. The music is great, the level design is excellent, the setting is cleverly implemented into the gameplay and the controls are smooth and responsive. The game is hard though, probably the hardest 3D Mario game so far. Easily one of the best games on theI love this game so much. It is the first GameCube game i have ever played and have fond memories of it and to this day i enjoy it a lot. The music is great, the level design is excellent, the setting is cleverly implemented into the gameplay and the controls are smooth and responsive. The game is hard though, probably the hardest 3D Mario game so far. Easily one of the best games on the GameCube. Expand
  50. Jun 30, 2014
    I loved Fludd and the bright colourful levels and visually it was perhaps the most impressive game on the Gamecube. I felt however that a lot of the stars were 'filler' and it began to feel like a chore to collect them all once I'd cost past the 80 mark. Something I don't generally feel in Mario Games, also I felt the controls weren't as smooth as they could have been and many deaths feltI loved Fludd and the bright colourful levels and visually it was perhaps the most impressive game on the Gamecube. I felt however that a lot of the stars were 'filler' and it began to feel like a chore to collect them all once I'd cost past the 80 mark. Something I don't generally feel in Mario Games, also I felt the controls weren't as smooth as they could have been and many deaths felt as if they weren't really your fault. As with any Mario game it's a lot of fun however and I thought the Fludd was a great and innovative idea. I'd absolutely love to see a remake of this on the Wii U with some of those issues sorted out. Expand
  51. Jun 30, 2014
    This is my favourite game of all time, and I say this having played pretty much every Nintendo game released since the N64 came out!

I prefer this to Super Mario 64 for a multitude of reasons- it has more charm, the areas are creative and varied, the hub world is far more interesting and also, get this; it has voice acting and BOWSER SPEAKS!!!

Anyway, in short- best game ever!
  52. Jun 22, 2014
    My favorite 3D Mario game, I think the stages well made​​, and the various modes of play really cool, you can also play with Yoshi, you have to search multiple shines, the game has great graphics for the time of it, in some points it is very difficult, but in the end, is a very fun game.
  53. Apr 21, 2014
    this game is totally different compared to other Mario games, kind of in the same way of luigi's mansion which I loved, but this is a different game entirely. exploring all the different worlds is awesome and flood is a creative gimmick in the game. most of the objectives in the game are so much fun, but there are a few that I can remember that were quite frustrating, but It never feltthis game is totally different compared to other Mario games, kind of in the same way of luigi's mansion which I loved, but this is a different game entirely. exploring all the different worlds is awesome and flood is a creative gimmick in the game. most of the objectives in the game are so much fun, but there are a few that I can remember that were quite frustrating, but It never felt like It was frustrating for the sake of being frustrating,(most of the time) but was instead truly challenging. a great Mario game, that as good or better than Super Mario Galaxy. yep I said it. :) Expand
  54. Mar 30, 2014
    Words almost cant describe how much I love Super Mario Sunshine. I know this is one of the most underrated Mario games out there and it's such a shame because SMS is one of the greatest gems Nintendo has ever made and I loved it more than Super Mario 64 for sure! It took some of the great things about SM64 like the hub and level traveling, the star system (even though it's shine spritesWords almost cant describe how much I love Super Mario Sunshine. I know this is one of the most underrated Mario games out there and it's such a shame because SMS is one of the greatest gems Nintendo has ever made and I loved it more than Super Mario 64 for sure! It took some of the great things about SM64 like the hub and level traveling, the star system (even though it's shine sprites this time) and made them even better. Sure FLUDD was kind of weird but I was okay with her, I thought the system controlled well. I am of course not a fan about the lack of the long jump and backwards jump that were in SM64 but luckily they returned in the Galaxy games. I guess one of the biggest reasons I love this game so much is probably the fact that it's one of the first Mario games I've ever played, or maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia too much. I just really like the whole vacation theme of this game. I suggest that everyone should give this game a try; it's really not as bad as people say. Expand
  55. Mar 17, 2014
    The best Super Mario game in general. the best platforming game in general. better then the galaxy games by far and deserves 10 out of 10s. I'd even say this game is better then Super Mario 64.
  56. Feb 28, 2014
    I prefer this to 64 for one reason. I don't know that reason though :P
    I just feel this game has more charm than 64. The difficulty was definitely toned up for this game.
  57. Feb 26, 2014
    This is a very good game, yes it has it's glitches and stupid missions. Once again it is a good game fun and decent physics. (Again the glitches). And it is different, but does it matter? It is still at least ok. You will not come across most of the glitches in normal gameplay so don't worry. If you haven't then you should try it. If you hate it then replay it please. Thank you for reading.
  58. Feb 25, 2014
    Personally, I think the Mario games from the Game-cube era were the best of all time. I love Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Party 4, etc. etc. even more than the N64 counterparts that I grew up with. I love the N64 ones of course, but the Game cube sequels brought so much innovation and creativity they were ultimatelyPersonally, I think the Mario games from the Game-cube era were the best of all time. I love Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Party 4, etc. etc. even more than the N64 counterparts that I grew up with. I love the N64 ones of course, but the Game cube sequels brought so much innovation and creativity they were ultimately very enjoyable games. Although Luigi's Mansion had no N64 counterpart, it is also a prime example of an innovative Gamecube Game. Great Review :) Expand
  59. Feb 8, 2014
    I see this game getting compared to super Mario 64, and I'm surprised people don't like this game because it's not as good as that beautiful sparkling cider on the n64. There's a very good hover plat forming game in sunshine if you look hard enough. Sm64 and this are both good games.
  60. Jan 18, 2014
    My favorite and most played game of all time. From when I was 6 years old, to now, 16 years old, I can never get enough of this game. One of the most challenging yet fun Mario games ever. Graphics are stunning for a Gamecube game, and the music is perfect.

Only complaints I have that doesn't make it a perfect 10: Some levels are a pain, and just not that fun and by far the worst part about this game, the camera angle. The camera can be really annoying at times, but doesn't take away from the game to the point where you can't enjoy it.

61. Jan 15, 2014
    Super Mario Sunshine is a beautiful game. The graphics are stunning for the gamecube, and leave the player visually satisfied in every moment of play. My favorite visual is the water, the physics are great, the crystal clearness with the sunlight shimmering off the surface is enticing, making the player wish they could jump in themselves. The controls are innovative and create opportunitySuper Mario Sunshine is a beautiful game. The graphics are stunning for the gamecube, and leave the player visually satisfied in every moment of play. My favorite visual is the water, the physics are great, the crystal clearness with the sunlight shimmering off the surface is enticing, making the player wish they could jump in themselves. The controls are innovative and create opportunity for a vast array of moves, however they can be frustrating in the frequent occasion where their functionality wavers. The physics often fail the user leaving you glitched on an edge or falling through a solid surface. Frustrating glitchyness aside, the gameplay is great, constantly keeping the player immersed and having fun. The difficulty level is not extraordinarily high, but, i wouldnt call it an easy game, there are definetly some challenging elements such as the secret levels, sometimes genneral levels. All in all it is a fantastic game and is one of if not my alltime favorite mario game. Definetly worth a play through. Expand
  62. Jan 4, 2014
    One of the most memorable games of my childhood, I still return now and again to beat the game in one long session. Of course, it has that huge trouble with the camera, but I personally never noticed it until I looked. So -1 for that flaw. It really does a sort of timeless charm that makes people come back for more. I beat the same boss 3 times in a row just because it was so satisfying toOne of the most memorable games of my childhood, I still return now and again to beat the game in one long session. Of course, it has that huge trouble with the camera, but I personally never noticed it until I looked. So -1 for that flaw. It really does a sort of timeless charm that makes people come back for more. I beat the same boss 3 times in a row just because it was so satisfying to pull off his tentacles. The game was a bit of a challenge, especially with those darn secret stages. But I was looking for a challenge, and I was happy with that. The only real gameplay criticism I have is that the game could've been a bit more innovative with how you used the FLUDD. Moving along, the graphics are beautiful, especially for a GameCube game. The Delfino Isle hub is fun to mess around in, and it wasn't too painful looking for all the hidden Shines. All in all, definitely a game any GameCube/Wii owner should play. Expand
  63. Dec 23, 2013
    Childhood bias might creep into my review, but I really liked this addition to the Mario series. It's fresh, it's different, and perhaps a bit more satisfying to those with a touch of neat freak; clearing copious amounts of multi-colored goop and making areas clean again is very rewarding in itself. The visuals are colorful and fun, and though it's lacking in what story it tries toChildhood bias might creep into my review, but I really liked this addition to the Mario series. It's fresh, it's different, and perhaps a bit more satisfying to those with a touch of neat freak; clearing copious amounts of multi-colored goop and making areas clean again is very rewarding in itself. The visuals are colorful and fun, and though it's lacking in what story it tries to achieve, the atmosphere is enjoyable. Though not comparable to the SNES of 64 counterparts, I'd definitely recommend this game. Expand
  64. Dec 16, 2013
    Hands down my favourite game on the Gamecube. This game sucked me in, and took me on a ride! Beat it 100% and proud. Story is fantastic! Gameplay is fluid (except for the occasional camera spasms). Regular story is a bit short but there is much more to do after. If you have a Gamecube, GET THIS GAME. I guarantee you'll be entertained for hours and will love this game for the rest of your life.
  65. Dec 3, 2013
    Severely underrated. It should be right up there with Super Mario 64 and the Super Mario Galaxy series. Seriously, I had such a great time playing this game. The tropical island based levels were a welcome change form The Mushroom Kingdom, and offered plenty of unique, fun, and challenging opportunities. The F.L.U.D.D back pack is awesome too, and I really like how the fist half of theSeverely underrated. It should be right up there with Super Mario 64 and the Super Mario Galaxy series. Seriously, I had such a great time playing this game. The tropical island based levels were a welcome change form The Mushroom Kingdom, and offered plenty of unique, fun, and challenging opportunities. The F.L.U.D.D back pack is awesome too, and I really like how the fist half of the game had a very different story from the rest of the games in the Super Mario series. And the music in this game is phenomenally amazing. Seriously, expect the Ricco Harbour and Noki Bay themes to be stuck in your head for days after you play this game. The secret levels are also rally fun, and insanely challenging. This is one of the best video games of all time! Expand
  66. Nov 11, 2013
    THE GOOD: This 3D platformer is very original. Its a main series Mario title that actually has a real story! The gameplay usually involves Mario using a water jetpack named FLUDD to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Level designs are fantastic and are all built around one big island. The levels are varied, including beaches, hotels, airstrip, a volcano, a theme park, and many others. VoiceTHE GOOD: This 3D platformer is very original. Its a main series Mario title that actually has a real story! The gameplay usually involves Mario using a water jetpack named FLUDD to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Level designs are fantastic and are all built around one big island. The levels are varied, including beaches, hotels, airstrip, a volcano, a theme park, and many others. Voice acting and music are surprisingly great. The game rewards you for exploration. Its a very satisfying experience. Plenty of shine sprites to collect so plenty to do in the game.

THE BAD: Hmm, surprisingly, I really don't have much bad to say about this game. Sure, i'll admit that it lacks the impact on the gaming industry that Super Mario 64 had, but thats really about it.

This is a MUST OWN! MUST BUY! One of the best games that the platforming genre has to offer.
  67. Nov 6, 2013
    Undeniably this is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of Mario's titles on the Nintendo Gamecube. The level design is great, the graphics are amazing for a GCN game, and the music is cool! The setting for a beach isn't the best, but the water looks realistic, so that doesn't matter. The use of F.L.U.D.D. is sometimes tiring, but I find it a great gimmick. The controls are nearUndeniably this is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of Mario's titles on the Nintendo Gamecube. The level design is great, the graphics are amazing for a GCN game, and the music is cool! The setting for a beach isn't the best, but the water looks realistic, so that doesn't matter. The use of F.L.U.D.D. is sometimes tiring, but I find it a great gimmick. The controls are near perfect for this game, and the camera is good for me. I highly recommend people to play this amazing Gamecube classic. If you don't like a beach setting for nearly every stage, then play Super Mario 64. Expand
  68. Sep 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. super mario 64 was great, but then after that, nintendo made a mario game that was very different than the others, super mario sunshine. Now this is one of my favorite mario games, but it's nothing like the regular games, it's probably the only mario game where the mushroom kingdom is not seen at all. So the plot is, mario is going on vacation to isle delfino And once ariving, he sees that the island is splattered with graffiti, after picking up FLUDD A water/backpack thing, they fight a giant graffiti Parana plant. after defeating this thing, the police take mario to court, after probably the most unfair court session i have ever seen, mario is sentenced to clean up the island. it turns out shadow mario (an evil version of mario) did the graffiti. so now here's where the gameplay starts. the gameplay in super mario sunshine is just like super mario 64. you finish the level by finding a shine spite. now the first thing i have to say is that this game is HARD, probably the second hardest mario game ever behind super mario bros 2 lost levels. so anyway, all of the missions aren't the same goal. the levels in this game are called episodes, and you have to do something different every time to get a shine sprite. like, find all 8 red coins or, complete a secret level, This gameplay setup is very cool especially in a mario game of all things. now for the secret levels, the hardest and most frustrating part of the game,so what happens is shadow mario has taken FLUDD away from you and puts you in an obstacle course with the shine sprite at the end. these are hard, these are classic mario platforming but all of them are unnecessarily hard, you have to platform through these blocks that rotate, spin, and sometimes even push you off the level, I died about 100 times at the noki bay's secret level. one secret level even has these guys that throw you to the next platform and you have to aim perfectly or else they will throw you off the level. anyway, isle delfino has some of the best areas i have ever seen in a mario game, like serina beach, or the beautiful noki bay. and some levels are just amazing, there was this one level in gelato beach where you are on a giant bird made out of sand flying high in the sky, and in another platform up a hill in noki bay. oh, and did i mention that there are yoshis in the game, the first time yoshis are used in a 3D mario game, only thing is that it's not the original green yoshi, just other color yoshis. and after a boss fight it is revealed that shadow mario is bowser jr, that's a pretty good twist, and this is bowser jr's first appearance in a mario game. this game is very underrated, probably because this was the first time a nintendo console was released without a super mario game alongside it. this made fans want the best mario game ever. but this was a great game anyway. the plot is great and has probably the best twist in any mario game, the levels are nice, the graphics are great, and the music is some of the best in the super mario series. It's probably my 2nd favorite super mario game. Expand
  69. Aug 15, 2013
    Best Mario game on GameCube along with Paper Mario! It is truly a great game and delivers plenty of gameplay, overall amazing game! I really love the graphics in this game they truly seem like graphics that are from the modern date and for the GameCube, the graphics are by far the best there ever has been on the GameCube.
  70. Jul 22, 2013
    It's not as good as SM64 or SM3DL but it's better than SMB2. The visuals are nice and were good for its time. The artwork for it is similar to today's Mario games. FLUDD is awesome and the story is awesome. 8/10
  71. Jul 19, 2013
    I think, that this game is the most bad mario game I've ever played (I don't count Games like "Mario teaches typing" or "Hotel Mario"). For me as Ultimate Mario Fan, I can count myself to one of those who were disappointed. Why do you have a watercannon? And what's with the synchronisation of everyone?
    If you want to play a good 3D-Mario-Game: Buy Super Mario 64.
  72. Jul 13, 2013
    Coming off of my love for Mario64 I have to admit that I didn't care for the premise of the game. It sounded kind of stupid. But boy did I have a lot of fun playing this game. I have to say I do enjoy it even more than Mario64. There are many more levels and challenges, the controls are easy and the graphics ar even better than Mario64. An excellent edition to the Mario franchise.
  73. Jun 26, 2013
    As a sequel to Super Mario 64, I feel as though Nintendo made the right move. They incorporated entirely new elements, new locations, and a new feel that made this seem like a departure from the pre-established N64 norm. The level designs are great, the inclusion of Yoshi was awesome, and the setting was nice. The only issues with this game are the occasionally annoying camera, the poorAs a sequel to Super Mario 64, I feel as though Nintendo made the right move. They incorporated entirely new elements, new locations, and a new feel that made this seem like a departure from the pre-established N64 norm. The level designs are great, the inclusion of Yoshi was awesome, and the setting was nice. The only issues with this game are the occasionally annoying camera, the poor last level of the game, and the periodic annoying lever (I'm looking at you, Watermelon level). If you have a GameCube, do yourself a favor and pick this one up. You won't regret it. Expand
  74. Jun 19, 2013
    It's just so fun interacting with the environment, doing flips, wall jumps, and dives. It makes me want to get on sometimes just so I can parkour for a little while. It has a good difficulty, but the camera angle when hovering can be somewhat annoying, adding a "bad" type of difficulty. Overall the game's a blast, whether you are completing the game or just experimenting with certainIt's just so fun interacting with the environment, doing flips, wall jumps, and dives. It makes me want to get on sometimes just so I can parkour for a little while. It has a good difficulty, but the camera angle when hovering can be somewhat annoying, adding a "bad" type of difficulty. Overall the game's a blast, whether you are completing the game or just experimenting with certain levels that you enjoy. Expand
  75. Jun 4, 2013
    What I have to say about this game is... MY FAVOURITE VIDEOGAME! It is the best Mario game that could have been made! The graphics are marvelous, the platforms are very, very different, from the other Mario games, this time are bigger, hilarious and fun, and I think this the only game when the characters talk all the time, that was funny, and even the new characters are very funny. I willWhat I have to say about this game is... MY FAVOURITE VIDEOGAME! It is the best Mario game that could have been made! The graphics are marvelous, the platforms are very, very different, from the other Mario games, this time are bigger, hilarious and fun, and I think this the only game when the characters talk all the time, that was funny, and even the new characters are very funny. I will never stop loving this game. Expand
  76. Mar 22, 2013
    One of my favourite games, I loved Mario as I child, still do. The game was so fun, there were so many different and interesting places to go, each with their own quests. The game can last for a long time and can be very enjoyable. There are sometimes where you feel like just jumping around and messing with water pumps but otherwise I got involved in the several quests. I didn't evenOne of my favourite games, I loved Mario as I child, still do. The game was so fun, there were so many different and interesting places to go, each with their own quests. The game can last for a long time and can be very enjoyable. There are sometimes where you feel like just jumping around and messing with water pumps but otherwise I got involved in the several quests. I didn't even finish the game...because I scratched the disc too much. I wish I had finished it but its too late now. I real favourite of mine. Expand
  77. Feb 21, 2013
    While not quite as mind blowing and addictive as super mario 64, Super mario sunshine is still an excellent game on its own, with fantastic music, spot on controls, great design, and beautiful graphics (especially the water effects). The game play is innovative, but not quite as fun as other mario titles. however, this game has a very interesting design that borrows from Mario 64, butWhile not quite as mind blowing and addictive as super mario 64, Super mario sunshine is still an excellent game on its own, with fantastic music, spot on controls, great design, and beautiful graphics (especially the water effects). The game play is innovative, but not quite as fun as other mario titles. however, this game has a very interesting design that borrows from Mario 64, but also offers its own twist to the formula, which is always a good thing. This is a really awesome gamecube game, and one that i definitely reccomend. Expand
  78. Jan 22, 2013
    When I think abuot the "Gamecube" , first game I remember is SMS it was a hard game , but so good I never could playing it , it is an improvement from SM 64 and I agree with that! What a fun game it never gets old.
  79. Jan 19, 2013
    While it is not one of Mario's brightest adventures, the game shines in its own unique way. The worlds are stunning and the platforming is challenging. Disappointingly, the camera bogs what are truly good controls and prevents the player from reaching difficult places more easily. Otherwise, this is a solid entry in the 3D Mario saga.
  80. Oct 28, 2012
    The gameplay was great, F.L.U.D.D. Included, which helps Mario in his dirty vacation. The story is good to hear about. Same as its predecessor, Super Mario 64.
  81. May 27, 2012
    Was a fun game. wish it was more in depth tho. But enjoyed the cartoony atmosphere
  82. Apr 16, 2012
    For me, it is by far the best Mario game ever made. And I have played them all since Mario 64. It should have won a way larger fanbase, but it seems like Nintendo went wrong with the Gamecube, in somy way...
  83. Mar 2, 2012
    This game feels like a real life Hawaiian vacation! The experience is truly innovative. As fun as SM64 was, this is even better. Great visuals, greater gameplay!
  84. Feb 26, 2012
    One of the best games ever made. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  85. Feb 8, 2012
    One of my favorite mario games and one of my favorite gamecube games. I was still in elementary school when i was playing this. I played this game so much back then it's ridiculous. I loved it.
  86. Jan 11, 2012
    Of course Super Mario Sunshine isn't Super Mario 64. Super Mario 64 is easily still one of my favorite video games ever made but Super Mario Sunshine shouldn't be condemned when compared to it. The Mario Franchise was trying to be creative and I believe that they succeeded. Super Mario Sunshine is a separate entity of its own right and will continue to entertain players who choose toOf course Super Mario Sunshine isn't Super Mario 64. Super Mario 64 is easily still one of my favorite video games ever made but Super Mario Sunshine shouldn't be condemned when compared to it. The Mario Franchise was trying to be creative and I believe that they succeeded. Super Mario Sunshine is a separate entity of its own right and will continue to entertain players who choose to either re-beat it or try it out for the first time. It's game play is very innovative and I believe this game would have received a 9 or 10 from me and many others if it wasn't a Mario game. The game itself is amazing but way to many people are just disappointed when they compare it to Super Mario 64 or even the classic 2D Mario games. Besides, Yoshi is back in Super Mario Sunshine! Expand
  87. Nov 20, 2011
    Super Mario Sunshine, the primary Mario game for the Gamecube is an amazing game. First off the story, is surprisingly compelling, and throughout the game you want to know what is going to happen next. The design in the levels is top notch. The main area, Delfino Plaza acts like a portal to many different areas on Isle Delfino. In these areas you collect 8 shines each. The game looksSuper Mario Sunshine, the primary Mario game for the Gamecube is an amazing game. First off the story, is surprisingly compelling, and throughout the game you want to know what is going to happen next. The design in the levels is top notch. The main area, Delfino Plaza acts like a portal to many different areas on Isle Delfino. In these areas you collect 8 shines each. The game looks great for a gamecube game. Gameplay is always the most important thing in a Mario game, and it's no different here. This time around you'll won't only be jumping around to get where you want to go. You now have a nozzle that can spray things, hover you to unreachable places and much more. There is so much water here you will want to take a washroom break eventually. The music is interesting and memorable in this game. If I was to score this game, I would give it a 9.4. Expand
  88. Nov 12, 2011
    This is one of the greatest single player games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. As far as GameCube games go, this one has gorgeous graphics, fantastic sound, and nearly flawless mechanics. Nintendo took the basic formula for Super Mario 64 and improved upon it in virtually every way. Nothing about this game is terribly difficult once you get the hang of the controls, and theThis is one of the greatest single player games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. As far as GameCube games go, this one has gorgeous graphics, fantastic sound, and nearly flawless mechanics. Nintendo took the basic formula for Super Mario 64 and improved upon it in virtually every way. Nothing about this game is terribly difficult once you get the hang of the controls, and the level of exploration and free will that the player can exercise in any given world leaves this game bereft of linearity. The replayability is also great. Worlds change as you progress through their levels, and there are a lot of secrets shine sprites and blue coins that'll keep you searching every corner of Delfino Plaza and each of the worlds. Truly one of the best, if not THE best game that GameCube has in its extensive catalog. Expand
  89. Oct 22, 2011
    My favourite game when I was a kid, and still one of my favourites right now. Locations are beautiful, the music is amazing, there's a lot of variety in the missions, and it's all but together into a beautiful, colourful world. The only thing that troubles the game is the camera at times, but that is only a minor let-down.
  90. Sep 10, 2011
    Mario is by far the most overrated game franchise to me, but to me this is one of the greatest video games ever made, and to me it is the best game of the next gen decade, and is my 2nd favorite game of all time
  91. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario is back and deadlier then ever. Nice 3D environments, gorgeous graphics, nice water and lava effects make this a oretty good-looking game. The ending is sad; F.L.U.D.D. dies. I'd like to see a sequel spawn on Wii. The infrared pointer could make aiming at enemies with FLUDD feel easier. Expand
  92. May 5, 2011
    It lacks the innovation of Mario 64, truth be told -- especially when it's compared to NGC masterpieces like Resident Evil 4 and Super Smash Bros. Melee. However, it's packed with enough flourishing colors and wacky gameplay to enthrall children and Mario fans of all ages. Pros: Rich, colorful visuals; beautifully structured environments; the gameplay is solid Mario platforming with a fewIt lacks the innovation of Mario 64, truth be told -- especially when it's compared to NGC masterpieces like Resident Evil 4 and Super Smash Bros. Melee. However, it's packed with enough flourishing colors and wacky gameplay to enthrall children and Mario fans of all ages. Pros: Rich, colorful visuals; beautifully structured environments; the gameplay is solid Mario platforming with a few new kicks. Cons: The worst controls and camera in a Mario game; lack of stages and some repetitious level design; the final boss battle is a bit too easy. Collapse
  93. Apr 23, 2011
    One of my favorite games of all time. I play through sunshine probably twice a year and let me just say it NEVER gets old. Not a bad story for a mario game and i must say this was probably one of the best games on the GC
  94. Apr 21, 2011
    Super Mario Sunshine was my first and one of my favorite games growing up. I worked through it and always enjoyed the great look and feel. Unfortunately my memory card went corrupt and I had to start over, which I put off until recently. The game is just as good if not better then I remember and I just wish Nintendo had gone back to Isle Delfino in another main title and not just asSuper Mario Sunshine was my first and one of my favorite games growing up. I worked through it and always enjoyed the great look and feel. Unfortunately my memory card went corrupt and I had to start over, which I put off until recently. The game is just as good if not better then I remember and I just wish Nintendo had gone back to Isle Delfino in another main title and not just as cameos in sports games. The closest thing to it are some of the planets from Super Mario Galaxy, and there my favorite planets in the game. The game is just is full of charm. Go out and find a copy right now, then buy it and don't ever stop playing. Expand
  95. Mar 24, 2011
    basically mario 64 with a giant squirt gun and some of the fun yanked away. it just doesnt have the greatness that SM64 had. its fun sure but also kinda frustrating at times and it was so much nicer when you could just skip stars and not have to clear out every level like in this one you have to and have to do them in order which i found even more annoying . it does look very nice andbasically mario 64 with a giant squirt gun and some of the fun yanked away. it just doesnt have the greatness that SM64 had. its fun sure but also kinda frustrating at times and it was so much nicer when you could just skip stars and not have to clear out every level like in this one you have to and have to do them in order which i found even more annoying . it does look very nice and controls pretty damn good now that we dont have that monstousity N64 controllor to deal with . the camera was ok didnt find it improved or worse and SM64 but usable . its a decent mario game worth your time atleast. Expand
  96. Jan 8, 2011
    Super Mario Sunshine's story is yet again flawless, compelling and attractive, just like all Mario games are mant to be. F.L.U.D.D is an amazing addition to the already brilliant Mario, and the extra nozzles liven up the game. The ending is fantastic, despite the final boss battle being a bit of a pushover. There are many added levels to collect numerous shine sprites on, and even afterSuper Mario Sunshine's story is yet again flawless, compelling and attractive, just like all Mario games are mant to be. F.L.U.D.D is an amazing addition to the already brilliant Mario, and the extra nozzles liven up the game. The ending is fantastic, despite the final boss battle being a bit of a pushover. There are many added levels to collect numerous shine sprites on, and even after finishing the game many will strive to collect all the shine sprites. Could easily be 10 if the camera wasn't so unbearable annoying, but this game is the best i have played on the gamecube. Expand
  97. Jan 7, 2011
    The reason this game is important to the gaming world is because it created the template for the ground breaking Super Mario Galaxy. Shame this game is so misunderstood. It has been unfairly criticised. I'm a huge Mario fan and I'm not giving it a good score just because I'm a Mario fan. The plot is a little weak I guess, and the camera is dodgy, but this game is seriously fun. (Oh yes.The reason this game is important to the gaming world is because it created the template for the ground breaking Super Mario Galaxy. Shame this game is so misunderstood. It has been unfairly criticised. I'm a huge Mario fan and I'm not giving it a good score just because I'm a Mario fan. The plot is a little weak I guess, and the camera is dodgy, but this game is seriously fun. (Oh yes. Check out the advertisement for Super Mario Sunshine on YouTube. Just see it. It's awful.) I loved walking around Delfino Plaza. FLUDD was a nice touch, even though he is annoying. at times. The minigames are fun. The freedom in the levels is really good. The challenge is perfect for any Mario fan. Riding on shells is heaps fun. The graphics are sweet too. All I'm saying is that if you want to play it, go ahead! It's great! Expand
  98. Dec 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's just the best game ever.

Loved the graphics and game it self.
    Story was amazing too. I really like the world in the game.
    Still the best Mario game I played, ha ha.
  99. PaulW
    Nov 16, 2008
    I have been playing videogames for 25+ years. Most critics reviewing Super Mario Sunshine stated that, whilst it was not as good as Super Mario 64, it was not far off. Well, that might not necessarily be untrue because I think that Super Mario 64 was bettered by Rare's N64 platformers, but Super Mario Sunshine is not close to the sense of fun, invention and level design found in, say I have been playing videogames for 25+ years. Most critics reviewing Super Mario Sunshine stated that, whilst it was not as good as Super Mario 64, it was not far off. Well, that might not necessarily be untrue because I think that Super Mario 64 was bettered by Rare's N64 platformers, but Super Mario Sunshine is not close to the sense of fun, invention and level design found in, say Banjo Kazooie. I didn't realise this at the time as I actully bought an N64 (brand new) AFTER I'd bought a Cube. At the time, Super Mario Sunshine was actually the first 3D platformer that I'd played to any extent so, naturally, I was rather impressed with it and would have given it 9/10. But ever since I've played Banjo Kazooie, or Rare's other 3D platformers, I've concluded that SMS, which Miyamoto did not spend a lot of time on himself in favour of concentrating on The Wind Waker, is a curiously empty experience. Some parts are great- Isle Defino itself is bouncy, bright and sun kissed, Noki Bay is a tantalising puzzle of a level and the levels with building blocks are like a precursor to Super Mario Galaxy. I didn't mind using FLUDD, if only the abilities it gives you- eg to shoot up like a rocket or off like a jet ski, could have been utliised in levels as intriguing as anything in Banjo Kazooie. But, no, instead you bounce along on washing lines connecting different windmills, leading to pretty much nothing except Shines. Or you hang from wire frames leading to pretty much nothing except Shines. It's all just like a big construction site at the end of the day, a holiday that you quite liked at the time but now realise really wasn't anywhere near as exciting as it could have been. The game strenously sticks to the holiday theme so much that it lacks varierty and yet there are all other kinds of ideas that could have been implemented- Mario at a water park for instance. Don't get me wrong, it's still much better than the vast majority of dully violent, cliched videoegames but, to me, Luigi's Mansion was the best game featuring Mario on the Gamecube (yes, Mario Kart- Double Dash!!, which I have also reviewed today, also had some disappointments). Expand
  100. Faisal
    Sep 6, 2008
    I've been playing video games for over 20 years and have owned consoles from every generation of gaming starting with the humble Atari vcs. I should think my gaming experience is more than the average person writing reviews here. Getting to my main point, of all the great games I have played this game provided me with the most fun. Other games have been great fun too but none so I've been playing video games for over 20 years and have owned consoles from every generation of gaming starting with the humble Atari vcs. I should think my gaming experience is more than the average person writing reviews here. Getting to my main point, of all the great games I have played this game provided me with the most fun. Other games have been great fun too but none so consistently fun from start to finish and without as FEW tedious or frustating moments as this. I only encountered two or three moments in the game where I found the level design lacking. Not bad for a game this long. I didn't have any serious problems with the camera either. The camera was inferior in Super Mario 64 but it didn't stop the critics (some of the very same ones who are dissing the camera in sunshine) from eulogising about how it was the best game ever. In finishing I would just like to say that I have never had such a happy time with a videogame or any form of enterainment as I had with this work of genius. Expand
  101. May 5, 2011

#2 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2002
#2 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2002

1. The FLUDD system is used throughout the game and can either be why the game is so great or why the game is so mediocre.
  2. To say that the camera in this game is atrocious is like saying being kicked in the teeth kinda hurts-it gives the person an idea about how bad it is, but it doesn't even begin to describe the agony in detail.
    A masterpiece of superior game design, infinite gameplay variety, creativity, and life-and it's got a water cannon…and a damn brilliant one at that.