9.1

1. May 24, 2015
    Although not as good as the first game, Melee is a great fighting game that challenges your reaction time. It has a very unbalanced roster, doesn't have the best single player, and the graphics weren't much, but you can forgive it through the unforgettable music and great roster. This game just about doubled the roster from the previous game and paved the way for modern Smash Bros.
  2. Apr 15, 2015
    This game is by far the best you'll find to date in the SMASH! series. It also has anything a fan of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Poke'mon, whatever, could ask for. Nobuyuki Hiyama as Link? Takashi Nagasako as Ganondorf? PICHU?? Chikorita? Japanese dub voices in options? Yes.
    All the returning characters are doubled-up upon without making them OP'd.
    This game is hard to find nowadays but
    All the returning characters are doubled-up upon without making them OP'd.
    This game is hard to find nowadays but definitely worth it. There is off course one little issue : Link (And Young Link)'s Up-smash's 3rd hit NEVER connects in HR-contest.
  3. Dec 31, 2014
    By far the best Smash bros game; no not even the best smash, the best fighting game of all time. this game is super easy to pick up and play as a casual player, and incredibly optimizable for competitive play including advanced techniques such as wavedashing and l-canceling. Anyone who is a nintendo fan, or a huge e-sport competitive gaming mark, or just a casual gamer. This game isBy far the best Smash bros game; no not even the best smash, the best fighting game of all time. this game is super easy to pick up and play as a casual player, and incredibly optimizable for competitive play including advanced techniques such as wavedashing and l-canceling. Anyone who is a nintendo fan, or a huge e-sport competitive gaming mark, or just a casual gamer. This game is perfect for all 3 of you. this game sports a huge collection of trophies, characters and stages to unlock to keep you playing, and the single player experience has a few secret bosses for you to find and challenge yourself.

Conclusion: Masterpiece. i recommend this to anyone who loves nintendo, and anyone interested in competitive gaming. its great for everyone.
  4. Dec 9, 2014
    I've only played the game a few times but this is super enjoyable, especially when with 2 or more players. The Graphics are great for a 2001 game. The gameplay is great. This is a most own even though though its over 10 years old.
  5. Dec 4, 2014
    Not a bad game, but it's my least favorite smash, most likely because it's so overrated. It's impossible for just anyone to get in the game unless they can pull of complex "advanced techniques" that are really glitches used to cheat. Thanks, ratchet competitive community. 1/4 of the characters are clones, including Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon (making a clone is worse thanNot a bad game, but it's my least favorite smash, most likely because it's so overrated. It's impossible for just anyone to get in the game unless they can pull of complex "advanced techniques" that are really glitches used to cheat. Thanks, ratchet competitive community. 1/4 of the characters are clones, including Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon (making a clone is worse than keeping a clone). The game is terrible unbalanced, having one character that's far better than the rest (Fox). Items appear way too frequently on high settings, and despawn too quickly. The bottom screen hitboxes are too high, causing you to die before getting to optimal range to grab right on to the ledge, and the game is too fast. People praise Melee for being fast, but they shouldn't. You have barely any room for error unless you have the reflexes better than a cat. Adventure mode is another thing that's praised, but really, its nice going through the worlds of characters and all, but due to the lack of variety, it gets REALLY repetitive since you have to complete it with all the characters for all the trophies. The game is filled with game-breaking glitches such as the one that makes Master Hand playable and the "black hole" glitch. Quite possibly the worst of all, to take screenshots require way too many blocks on your memory card, and you need a controller in the 4th slot, that can't control a character, just to do so.
    It has good graphics for a Gamecube game at least.
    Just because Brawl patched the "advanced" exploits and is slower so anyone can enjoy it, the game gets so much hate just for those two things, when almost everything else in the game is an improvement from Melee.

6.5/10, but I can't give .5's.
  6. Dec 3, 2014
    It's a fun game, and much better than the Nintendo 64 release. It isn't as good as some of the newer games, but it is definitely fun. The graphics aren't top-notch, and there are some exploits used widely by "hardcore players" but otherwise, it's great.
  7. Nov 28, 2014
    After Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 64, gamers waited for a sequel to appear on the GameCube. Although Smash 64 was fun, Super Smash Bros. Melee dramatically improved on an already great game. The game play was faster paced now. The sound quality and controls were improved, there was more music, stages were plenty, the graphics were a lot more eye appealing (Though I still like theAfter Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 64, gamers waited for a sequel to appear on the GameCube. Although Smash 64 was fun, Super Smash Bros. Melee dramatically improved on an already great game. The game play was faster paced now. The sound quality and controls were improved, there was more music, stages were plenty, the graphics were a lot more eye appealing (Though I still like the N64's look), and more Nintendo universes were involved than before. Overall, there was just more content in it and it was fantastic.

The single player was more fleshed out. Melee introduced such things as adventure mode, all - star, events and more. Single player is enjoyable but mutliplayer is were Smash Bros really shines. New modes such as giant melee, and stamina melee felt unique and plays differently from each other. Unlike other fighting games, Smash Bros can be played as a party game or competitive. If you just what a fun time with your friends, you can turn on items and use all the different modes to kill or be killed in the most havoc ways. If you want to play it competitively, there are advance techniques like wave-dashing and L - canceling to improve your game.

Super Smash Bros. Melee has very few problems with it. They are not that big of a deal but you will notice. The majority of the stages are very fun but there are 3 or 4 that are not really that fun like icicle mountain. The game has a couple of characters that are basically the same, (Clones) like Captain Falcon and Ganondorf.

Even with the few problems, Super Smash Bros. Melee is an excellent game. It brings in everything that creates Nintendo and puts it into one game. Anyone can easily play it and have a good time. The problems are so small that i would round the game closer to a 10 than a 9. If you have never played it, I highly recommend that you try it out at least. Who knows, you may have a new game series you enjoy.
  8. Nov 27, 2014
    Now this game really had a big impact in my in my childhood. This game has astonishing game-play it is hard to explain. This is also a very good game for people starting to get into the fighting genre. Definitely a must try for people new to video games!
  9. Nov 24, 2014
    This is the best game evaaaaa!!!! The gameplay is fantastic, graphics are awesome and it is the most competitive fighting game ever. Buy this now you piece of flth.
  10. Nov 23, 2014
    This is by far the greatest game Nintendo have ever made and my favourite video game of all time. I played for game for countless hours and never got bored of it. I have played Brawl, it is very good as well but it's a little bit disappointing compared to it's predecessor. No other video game will top a game for many years to come, not even FIFA or Call of Duty will be able to do that.
  11. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is not better than brawl i put alteast 100+ hours into it just last YEAR sience i got the game 350+ hours the game is simply perfect the only thing the game lacks is custom stages and characters
  12. Oct 21, 2014
    SSBM is a truly great game with fun and interesting gameplay, great characters and simple but amazing level design. It also has a great competitive scene. If you like fighting games, give this a try.
    I give this game Frankfurt / 10
  13. Oct 16, 2014
    I don´t what makes people think that Melee and Project M are a thousand times better.I think these people are so competitive in those games, that, when they went play Brawl, it seems horrible.IT´s NOT!!!
  14. Oct 4, 2014
    Aaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has everAaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has ever made, which really says a lot with things like the original Super Mario Bros. and Ocarina of Time. Expand
  15. Sep 29, 2014
    Better than brawl played competitively to this day. Amazing roster great stages fun event matches great engine. Please play Brawl then this you can never go back to Super **** Bros Brawl.
  16. Sep 17, 2014
    A classic game that is arguably one of the Gamecube's best. The game came out over ten years ago, and it's aged beautifully, sporting fast-paced combat that is fun to pick up but difficult to master. This makes it great to play on both casual and competitive levels. It definitely has the smoothest gameplay of any release in the series. There is also a lot of content to unlock, andA classic game that is arguably one of the Gamecube's best. The game came out over ten years ago, and it's aged beautifully, sporting fast-paced combat that is fun to pick up but difficult to master. This makes it great to play on both casual and competitive levels. It definitely has the smoothest gameplay of any release in the series. There is also a lot of content to unlock, and distractions to indulge oneself which count towards the many hours of enjoyment to be found here. Expand
  17. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is extremely good. There are lots of Nintendo characters you can choose from to beat up using other Nintendo characters. Some of the music is really good and the intro is beautiful. There are a few flaws. The AI kind of sucks in this game. Also there were a couple a characters that were nearly identical to other characters. Some of them didn't even have games outside of Japan.This game is extremely good. There are lots of Nintendo characters you can choose from to beat up using other Nintendo characters. Some of the music is really good and the intro is beautiful. There are a few flaws. The AI kind of sucks in this game. Also there were a couple a characters that were nearly identical to other characters. Some of them didn't even have games outside of Japan. But that is just minor complaints and won't ruin much from your experience. If I were you, try to get this game ASAP. Expand
  18. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is just fun as heck. A truly amazing game that stands the test of time. It's over TEN years old and it's still phenomenal and I still have a blast playing it.
  19. Jul 26, 2014
    I only put this down because of the HORRIBLE AI. Its one of the worst in a fighting game ever. Other than that, this was a wonderfully crafted game and deserves to be called the best Super Smash Bros. game ever. If you have a GameCube and don't have Melee, your missing out.
  20. May 26, 2014
    If you don't count Smash Bros. Brawl: Project M: this is the best game in the series. Mostly because of the better combat, less horrible characters (Meaning people are balanced in a good way) & less of a focus on "needing to smash, to kill" like Brawl had.
  21. May 2, 2014
    This game was amazing. It's game-play was excessively fun, and really it is my favorite of the GameCube library. That I'd played. I haven't gotten around to Super Mario Sunshine yet. It's, in a nutshell, a large amount of why GameCube is my favorite Nintendo console.

It's so fun fighting against your friends as Nintendo characters. But I'm definitely going to discuss quality. The

The game-play is the most balanced in it's series, and it definitely was a huge add-on to the original. It did a lot to change the series. It also... Well... Hard to explain... Was perhaps the most fun I've ever had.

My personal rating out of 100: 95/100.
  22. Mar 31, 2014
    this game is "good", it has alot of content, the gameplay is very fun and addictive, theres a good roster, but i think they need to make a one character per franchise rule, theres 4 mario characters, but one kirby character?, the programmers of the game program the kirby games, so what the heck?, also if your like me and your coming from capcom fighters like MvC2, this game is VERY hard tothis game is "good", it has alot of content, the gameplay is very fun and addictive, theres a good roster, but i think they need to make a one character per franchise rule, theres 4 mario characters, but one kirby character?, the programmers of the game program the kirby games, so what the heck?, also if your like me and your coming from capcom fighters like MvC2, this game is VERY hard to get use to, but still fun Expand
  23. Mar 12, 2014
    Add a bunch more characters on one of the best, and of the few, gamecube games that were created. The list of characters is great. I remember getting this as a kid and playing with my brother and friends for hours. The graphics today are not bad and the game play additions and all the added items add to the mix of madness fun that you would expect from a sequel to the great N64 game.
  24. Feb 5, 2014
    The best game on the GameCube hands down. It's better then Metroid Prime, it's better than Resident Evil 4, it is the best game on the GameCube. It is one of my all time favorite games. Everything about this game is great. If you have a GameCube and you don't have this game, you are missing out.
  25. Jan 27, 2014
    This game is so much fun with 4 people. The main down side to this game is the single player, it is not that broad.
    Single player: 7/10
    Multiplayer: 10/10
  26. Jan 26, 2014
    great game!
    fun by yourself on classic mode, adventure, all star, or even the cool special battle thingies, or with a bunch of friends in a tournament. Creative battle royale.
  27. Jan 3, 2014
    One of the best fighting games ever made. Nintendo used this game and picked up the original Super Smash off its feet. There are a lot of ways to kill your opponent, and the intensity is the fun part. There are many ways in the game to interact including a campaign, 4 player Co-op, personal missions, special melee (like super sudden death or super slow mo.), mini-games, and the tournamentOne of the best fighting games ever made. Nintendo used this game and picked up the original Super Smash off its feet. There are a lot of ways to kill your opponent, and the intensity is the fun part. There are many ways in the game to interact including a campaign, 4 player Co-op, personal missions, special melee (like super sudden death or super slow mo.), mini-games, and the tournament mode. These will keep you going for ages, and the fighting (what it mostly is) never gets dull. I always have the joy of going back to unlock new fighters and maps and collect trophies. This is a game for fighters to last throughout the ages! Expand
  28. Nov 22, 2013
    There are only a limited number of games, few and far between, that stand the test of time. To say this title has stood the test of time would be an understatement. SSB is truly a masterpiece, and is often ranked and praised as the greatest game that was released for the Nintendo GameCube. If you could only own one game for this console, it would unquestionably be this title. The fun andThere are only a limited number of games, few and far between, that stand the test of time. To say this title has stood the test of time would be an understatement. SSB is truly a masterpiece, and is often ranked and praised as the greatest game that was released for the Nintendo GameCube. If you could only own one game for this console, it would unquestionably be this title. The fun and enjoyment factor is undeniably endless, which, consequently, results in a reply value so high that not even the human mind can fathom. I will release no spoilers, other than the known fact that there is an accumulated total of 25 playable characters, as well as 29 playable stages, none of which are even remotely similar to the other. As I conclude this review, let it be noted that, even with the dawning of the PS4 and Xbox One, SSB is still universally played to this very day, and will always be in contention for greatest game ever made. 10/10 Expand
  29. Oct 19, 2013
    Super smash bros melee is an incredible game with tons of stuff to do It makes the original look thin Tons of unlockables. Even the single player it's deep and filled with stuff to do But the multiplayer is even more cuztomizable 26 characters and 29 stages I recommend you to buy it now
  30. Sep 20, 2013
    This game is one of the best games ever made and my all time favourite Smash Bros game of all time!!! The game is highly addicting to play in with both single and multiplayer!!! The adventure mode is pretty fun and the mission mode for me was better than Brawl, but lacked in difficulty in mode. Characters are fun to play with once they are unlockable and have a good moveset.
  31. Sep 7, 2013
    Not much to say. You can play this game for years and it won't get old (multiplayer, that is). And there's always a way to improve your skills or learn a new combo your friends didn't expect.
  32. Aug 4, 2013
    Maybe the best game on the GameCube.
    Also, the reason my brother got our family one, when we were kids.

This game along with Mario Kart Double Dash, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, are must haves for the system.

10 out of 10.
  33. Jul 8, 2013
    In my opinion, this is the best fighting game ever made. It came out in 2001 and is STILL being played competitively in tournaments! This was the first game I ever played at a tournament, and still continue to play it to this day. It has the best mechanics, the best atmosphere, and the best replay-ability in the Smash Bros. series. 10/10
  34. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the greatest game sever. It's essentially perfect except after one plays Brawl, the flaws in this game will be noticeable, other than that though, this is a legendary game. SO much fun, and better than the crappy Sony rip off.
  35. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a prime example of doing a sequel right. Take all the elements of the first game, refine them to near perfection while adding lots of new stages, characters, trophies, gameplay modes and extras. Really, there's no flaw with this game. It's just an all around amazing fighting game that you shouldn't miss.
  36. May 16, 2013
    What I consider to be one of, if not THE greatest fighting game to ever grace not just the Gamecube, but the fighting genre as a whole. Super Smash Bros. Melee achieves something that all fighting games wish to achieve: lasting fun. This game has aged without a wrinkle in the past 12 years it's been out. Nintendo couldn't even beat their own lasting appeal of this game with Brawl (which IWhat I consider to be one of, if not THE greatest fighting game to ever grace not just the Gamecube, but the fighting genre as a whole. Super Smash Bros. Melee achieves something that all fighting games wish to achieve: lasting fun. This game has aged without a wrinkle in the past 12 years it's been out. Nintendo couldn't even beat their own lasting appeal of this game with Brawl (which I thought was a bit too slow). From the moment the amazing opening is played, to your very last GAME, this is a classic for the ages. Not only is the gameplay quick, but it's easy to pick up and play, and the intentionally made technical tricks in the game make it the most versatile fighting game to date. Your ability to gain more skill in this game is practically unlimited in this game. You aren't restricted with the movements of your character. You can reduce your recoil when you hit the ground, slide around the floor, and string combos around in the most creative ways if your good enough. The music is fantastic. Really legendary in the video game environment, right down to the announcer's voice when you begin and end a game. The Adventure mode is perhaps the perfect distraction in single player sector, but while memorable, it's more of an imperfection that we soon come to see improved in the next game. Event matches are a blast, and personally I find them a little more fun than Brawl's. It's creative how Nintendo can fit so many neat modes in this game. Their's slow melee, lighting melee, big, tiny, etc. The photo feature in the game is the most useless addition however, as you can't take pictures unless you choose the mode and plan something to happen. This is another feature that's fixed in the next generation. Still this is the most solid fighting game I have ever played and is a blast to play with friends and family alike. Also, I would like Nintendo to bring back the old handicap system. It's much more fun to gang up on someone with naturally more strength than you, instead of just some percentage starter. If you have a Gamecube, PLAY THIS GAME NOW! This is a gleaming emerald in the tropical sun, as far as fighting games go. Do yourself a favor and find some friends to play this tonight. Hopefully the next Smash game will be even better than this. Expand
  37. Apr 1, 2013
    Just for this game, i bought the gamecube back in 2002. Though it was relatively inexpensive, I loved that freakin thing. I still play this every now and then. Mortal Kombat wasn't that evolved at that time and this was my game. And I was 8 when I bought this game.
  38. Mar 24, 2013
    SSBM Super Smash Bros. Melee? More like Super Smash Bros. Masterpiece. Also, this is by far the best fighting game i ever played in my life. I don't have a Nintendo Gamecube (yes, it's discontinued), but it will not stop me from playing. I have an emulator, and the game is still epic, as usual.
  39. Mar 9, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is like its predecessor only bigger and better. There is a huge selection of Nintendo Characters and areas and the graphics, for ngc standards, are pretty good.
  40. Feb 2, 2013
    This game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do haveThis game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do have a few gripes with this game, however. The visuals are quite nice, but some of the detailing and scaling in some of the levels is a bit low quality, like how the F-Zero machines in Mute City and Big Blue look exactly like the machines in F-Zero X for the N64. I believe the camera mode was rather poorly done, because the controls are wonky as heck and you really can't access this in the middle of a match (which is what Brawl did and I am thankful for that improvement). I also thought the process of unlocking new characters could be a little tedious, such as having to play in hundreds of VS. matches to get someone like Mr. Game and Watch. Granted, the gameplay is fun so it does render this point pretty moot, but if you're not all that into this game, then you might feel bored by having to do this. Admist these minor problems, the game is still great. It's addicting, accessible, and intense. Great for both the hardcore gamer, but also good for casual gamers who want to try out a fighting game. Those that are scoring this game less than a 5 are simply trolling, or spewing ignorance because this game is too simple in its control scheme. I highly recommend this game for your Gamecube collection, even if you're not really into this sort of game. Expand
  41. Jan 19, 2013
    One of the main reasons to own the Gamecube, Melee combines both casual and hardcore elements in its fighting that will inspire players to come back to it for a good time. Characters from many of Nintendo's franchises collide in this epic to help gamers settle age long disputes: "Who would win in a fight: Peach or Samus?"
  42. Jan 11, 2013
    This game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe aThis game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe a quarter of the characters have this problem. Overall, 9/10 Expand
  43. Dec 30, 2012
    Easily the best game overtime.At some points I like certain games more but this is always going to be one of my favourites.Tenouttaten!Also has Marth and Roy.
  44. Dec 30, 2012
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is more fun, has more characters, and has more intuitive gameplay than its predecessor, increasing the replay value ad infinitum.
  45. May 22, 2012
    Just as good as the first one but with more characters and possibilities. Is very funny and gives you lots of game play hours. There are also new game modes and they're welcome. On the other side, there is no innovation in the game mechanics.
  46. Mar 3, 2012
    this game kept me busy for 8 years until the new one came out i probably put 1000+ hours into this game its so addicting all the characters that you know and love are in it i dont care its 2012 buy this game
  47. Jan 17, 2012
    Beautiful game. One of the ultimate games to play when you had friends over back when you were like 14,13. I remember great memories with it. The epitome of brawlers.
  48. Dec 9, 2011
    Such a fun, fast paced game. Good for just playing with friends, or on a competitive level. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said a million times. If you want a fighter that will keep you learning new things and getting better for years, play this game.
  49. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Possibly the Gamecube's greatest title takes the Nintendo all-stars and pits them together. A very ambitious game that delivers on gameplay, content, and multiplayer.
  50. Nov 7, 2011
    Super Smash Bros. Melee doubles everything that was amazing from the original. Double the characters, double the stages, double the replay value, and double the fun!
  51. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is simply and effortlessly amazing, best 2d game of the 2000's I say! It is simply addictive, I played it when it first came out, and still play it!
  52. Sep 10, 2011
    One of the greatest Nintendo games, and one of the greatest fighting games ever made. Fantastic graphics for a launch title, great amounts of characters and trophies, and great gameplay and control.
  53. Jun 28, 2011
    IK this is 2011 and im reviewing a gamecube but why not? So first off graphics are really good for the gamecube time, gameplay is great and action packed especially when playing with a buddy. Story doesnt really make sence but who cares, you can go wrong with all of nintendos best characters in one action packed game.
  54. Jun 11, 2011
    This may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages andThis may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages and items, and the characters themselves, and it has tons of cool unlock-ables like characters, and tons of statues which are completely useless but I must have them all, while I do have my complaints like how hard it is to unlock some characters, annoying plat-forming sections in the adventure mode, and the controls are cluttered which really isn't the games fault, it's the controllers, but an option to customize the controls would have been, but in the end this is a fighting game that will have you entertained for many hours still today whether your new to fighting games or not trying to master everything, this is one of the best games on the GameCube, if your a Nintendo fan and have stuck with them throughout the years and haven't played this game you owe it to yourself to buy this game, this is highly recommended, especially for Nintendo fans. Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2011
    This game is amazing. When I first bought it I played for 16 hours hours straight. I like it because it has all of my favorite nintendo characters in it.
  56. Apr 30, 2011
    Essential to any NGC or fighting game collection. Pros: Excellent multi-player mode; a stunning variety of characters, levels, and action; lots of unlockables. Cons: The single-player mode just isn't as multi-player.
  57. Jan 24, 2011
    Just a terrific party game overall. Classic, Adventure, and All-Star mode offer a lot of depth as do the event matches. I had a terrific time unlocking all of the hidden characters and stages. Once you unlock everything, the fun really starts to kick in with multiplayer.

If you have a few people to play this with, I highly recommend playing it.
  58. Jan 8, 2011
    Super Smash Bros Melee manages to equal the greatness of even games likeMetroid Prime. There are many great new characters all with unique moves, including Mewtwo and Mr Game and Watch, along with other great Nintendo classics. This game boasts that simplicity can be great. The event mode is a welcome addition, added to classic and adventure mode and slo the unlockable all star mode! YouSuper Smash Bros Melee manages to equal the greatness of even games likeMetroid Prime. There are many great new characters all with unique moves, including Mewtwo and Mr Game and Watch, along with other great Nintendo classics. This game boasts that simplicity can be great. The event mode is a welcome addition, added to classic and adventure mode and slo the unlockable all star mode! You never get tired of this game, one of the best games in history! Expand
  59. EduardoU.
    Jan 29, 2010
    One of the best games of it's time, the battle stages could have used some work.
  60. KohakeMars
    Nov 27, 2009
    Very deep game. Great for both compedetativ and chasual play. High paced action that keeps you on your toes and an uique gameplay is what makes this game a masterpiece.
  61. lopezkidkooko
    Jun 9, 2009
    ok everyone i found a new glitch! heres what you do. . be player (roy on vs mode) . get 3 lvl 9 ness's (cpu's) . now go to jungle japes and battle and u will automatically be a cpu
  62. MarkLaib
    Feb 26, 2009
    Melee at its fullest! Now I know this game has its flaws but when it comes to fighting you got to have this game.
  63. AlexC
    Feb 20, 2009
    Where do i begin? the one player mode is long, boring and makes no sense, and to complete that with every character would be boring as hell. Multiplayer is crap unless you have someone to play it with.
  64. brads
    Jan 25, 2009
    Smash Bros is a real fun game. Being nintendo's popular charachters is fun. Still trying to learn all the special moves.
  65. AckTar
    Oct 17, 2008
    This game is a clear improvement over SSB64 and is actually better than its successor, Brawl. It is an intricate fighter that can be played at either a casual or competitive level with great enjoyment. The controls are spot-on, and it can be as deep as you want it. Truly the best GCN game, and it is the one that is still playable almost seven years later.
  66. CommandoDude
    Jul 4, 2008
    Speaking from a game viewpoint, this definately impoved over the First super smash. More characters/maps, better graphics, and interesting quirks. Unfortunately, the complex controller of the Nintentdo Gamecube ruined this game for me, the reason why I rate this a 7. Anyone who doesn't mind the Gamecube controller will like this game, anyone who doesn't, well, don't bother.
  67. JackH.
    May 24, 2008
    Believe it or not, but this was my very first game (I was 7). And, not only was it my first game, but it is my favorite game on the Cube to this day. Possibly the best part of the game is that it never gets old. It is just that addictive. If you gave this game less than a 9, you need to see a doctor.
  68. SamE.
    Apr 13, 2008
    SSBM is the best game I ever played, plus I played it ever since I was 3 or 4. I play it every day. I'm only nine and I can beat lv nines. Its a enertaining game too. I wish I got some cheats though. But that dosn't matter. Well thats it, keep up the good work nitendo.
  69. CodyR.
    Feb 28, 2008
    This is a phenomenal game! It's a fast paced fighter with loads of depth. as of 2/28/08 I still find the graphics to be superb (look at big blue!) With an immense roster and greatly detailed stages this game is a must!
  70. Brianyehhhh
    Feb 18, 2008
    People that dont like the game just suck at it and have nobody to play with. Its a great game and has been since its release.
  71. sethf
    Feb 17, 2008
    This is the best damn game in the world and should be on the video game awards even tho it is a very old game but nothing beats this game not even halo 3 and yes a just burent halo 3
  72. MikeG
    Feb 3, 2008
    Overrated crap. No storyline involvement at all. It's hack and slash gameplay is horribly repetitive, and the game relies on this battle system. The gaming world is a horrible place for this game to be rated at even a B level.
  73. JanC.
    Jan 12, 2008
    this is one of the best games... the multiplayer is simply amazing and the single player mode is really awesome... but the best thing is the wide range of posibilities of making tournaments with friends, and including that is one of the most played games in tournaments etc.
  74. William
    Jan 10, 2008
    This is my favourite game of all time. It is quick and easy to pick up and play, but also deep and difficult to master. There's no fancy storyline or cut-scenes. This is 100% gameplay. For beginners it is just a bit of quick and easy fun, but for experts the matches can be intense and very skill-demanding. If it wasn't for the eminent release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, This is my favourite game of all time. It is quick and easy to pick up and play, but also deep and difficult to master. There's no fancy storyline or cut-scenes. This is 100% gameplay. For beginners it is just a bit of quick and easy fun, but for experts the matches can be intense and very skill-demanding. If it wasn't for the eminent release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, I'd say that it's worth buying a Gamecube for this game alone. Expand
  75. JaredC.
    Jan 1, 2008
    The good news is that the gameplay is immense and the variety of characters is phenomenal as each brilliantly designed individual has their own equivalent share of combating principles, which was wonderful to expect. But the bad news ruins it all, although the gameplay was fine, each level seemed so rushed and with all the characters fighting in one woozy rushed place, Melee has nothing The good news is that the gameplay is immense and the variety of characters is phenomenal as each brilliantly designed individual has their own equivalent share of combating principles, which was wonderful to expect. But the bad news ruins it all, although the gameplay was fine, each level seemed so rushed and with all the characters fighting in one woozy rushed place, Melee has nothing to give except chaos. Expand
  76. ChrisC.
    Dec 23, 2007
    This is such a great game. It's so much fun that I still play it 6 years later. But that's just the thing that's holding me back from giving it a 10. I'm still playing it 6 years later. It's just so dated, and everything about that game seems tiresome, probably because I just want the new features in Brawl already. Also looking farther into it, the clone This is such a great game. It's so much fun that I still play it 6 years later. But that's just the thing that's holding me back from giving it a 10. I'm still playing it 6 years later. It's just so dated, and everything about that game seems tiresome, probably because I just want the new features in Brawl already. Also looking farther into it, the clone characters really don't do much, and are just wasted space. Also a majority of the stages, while being fun to play on, are just tiresome. Don't get me wrong, it really is an amazing game. I'm just sick of it, all around. Expand
  77. PeteC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    OMG immense fun! me and my family would get together and play it. The diversity of characters was great. The time to unlock was long but worth it. Massive step up from orginial. Inventive items. Hope Brawl is as awesome as this one.
  78. ChrisM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Best game, ever completely addictive and not at all just a kids game, anyone who says this is a button bashing game shouldnt really leave a comment as they dont know how to play it, takes a lot of skill and definitely underrated.
  79. TitaniumD.
    Nov 23, 2007
    This is the best fighting game ever made. Its single player mode is entertaining, its multiplayer mode is endless hours of fun, it has enough stages and characters to make for an excellent game, and overall it has among the highest potential game hour value of any game. It is a ton of fun and anyone, ranging from the casual gamer to the hardcore fighter genre lover will adore this This is the best fighting game ever made. Its single player mode is entertaining, its multiplayer mode is endless hours of fun, it has enough stages and characters to make for an excellent game, and overall it has among the highest potential game hour value of any game. It is a ton of fun and anyone, ranging from the casual gamer to the hardcore fighter genre lover will adore this game's excellent gameplay and difficulty level. This is the best game for the gamecube by far and away, and if you own a gamecube you should possess this game. Expand
  80. MattD.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Amazing game with excellent replay value.
  81. BenF.
    Nov 1, 2007
    The greatest action game with the longest lifespan EVER!! it never gets boring, and takes ages to complete everything there is to do in the game. the amount of match awards is near endless but just one problem. pichu sucks! they should have put in a better pokemon like charmander or something. if they replaced pichu this game would be perfect!
  82. MoeJ.
    Jul 27, 2007
    Such a fun game with a huge selection of Nintendo characters, and much more levels than the first Smash Bros.
  83. Patrick
    Jul 21, 2007
    The greatest fighting game I've ever played.
  84. ChristopherA.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Whenever I'm with my friends and we have nothing to do, Melee is always there. No one argues when I recommend we play it - ever. It has more freedom than any fighter ever made. And who can argue with 25 characters and 29 stages, all from Nintendo's storied past?
  85. JonnyL.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This is a great game with a great variety of characters. I loved it.
  86. AdamF.
    Apr 5, 2007
    This game just DOESN'T GET OLD!!! No matter how much I play it, alone or in a party, no matter what I do, and no matter if I've mastered every character, it STILL won't get boring. SSBB is a solid gold game; Every layer of the gameplay reaches a level of perfection that completely eliminates all possibility of bordom. Everyone must play this one.
  87. AK
    Jan 11, 2007
    This game IS amazing, ISN'T overrated, and DOESN'T look like it's from the NES. I have had the gamecube for 5 years now and SSBM was one of my first games. I still play it to this day. I am porbably only 60% of the way through. It really is easy to learn, hard to master. ie. wavedashing, advanced shielding, etc... It has probably the most replay value out of any other game. This game IS amazing, ISN'T overrated, and DOESN'T look like it's from the NES. I have had the gamecube for 5 years now and SSBM was one of my first games. I still play it to this day. I am porbably only 60% of the way through. It really is easy to learn, hard to master. ie. wavedashing, advanced shielding, etc... It has probably the most replay value out of any other game. the controls are made so that it is very easy to use as a beginner, and to use as a master. Anyone who says this game is bad, probably doesn't have a brain. BTW, the graphics and amount of characters are awesome. Expand
  88. JasonT.
    Aug 23, 2006
    Don't believe anyone who says this game is childish just because it feature nintendo characters. So what if there's no blood, and the characters are not mature-based fighters from tekken or any other series? This is one of the best fighting game series ever. It's one of the best multiplayer fragfests, and even single player is fun with hours worth of unlockable characters, Don't believe anyone who says this game is childish just because it feature nintendo characters. So what if there's no blood, and the characters are not mature-based fighters from tekken or any other series? This is one of the best fighting game series ever. It's one of the best multiplayer fragfests, and even single player is fun with hours worth of unlockable characters, levels, trophies, minigames, gameplay modes and items. what other fighting game can let you grab a bomb-omb to thro at your opponent when he has the upperhand? Like with Mario Kart, Nintendo takes a genre of games (sports, adventure, racing ,fighting) and adds all of the Nintendo innovation to make that genre even more creative. Nintendo doesn't always mean mature, but it almost always means fun, and SSBM proves that with the best selling game cube game ever. Expand
  89. EricS.
    Jul 27, 2006
    Pretty good. Very repetitive but still fun. Best part is owning all your friends at it (with all the creap moves).
  90. AprilB.
    Jul 13, 2006
    This is the best game ever you can piay as kirby and jiggy puff! You have got to buy this game.
  91. DannyT.
    Jul 4, 2006
    One of the best fighting games ever made. Don't worry about those people who claim that it's not a real fighting game like their Street Fighter, or DOA, etc. I have mastered all kinds of fighting games over the years, but this game is the definition of "Easy to learn, difficult to master." All of the secret fighting techniques you must learn to become a SSBM elite are beyond One of the best fighting games ever made. Don't worry about those people who claim that it's not a real fighting game like their Street Fighter, or DOA, etc. I have mastered all kinds of fighting games over the years, but this game is the definition of "Easy to learn, difficult to master." All of the secret fighting techniques you must learn to become a SSBM elite are beyond subtle, and only come with months to years of practice. Anyone who claims to be an elite player amoung fighting games, but cannot grasp the depth and skill this game requires is truly fooling themselves. Expand
  92. MichaelF.
    Jun 28, 2006
    This is not a game you get bored from after 6 years. the gameplay is abnormally great especially for a fighting game. i don't know why bad reviews were put, but this is a real and pure definition of great games. the trophy system makes it last and its multiplayer is good, not to mention the fact that you can have your own tournament of up to 64 players and melee mode which is up to 4.This is not a game you get bored from after 6 years. the gameplay is abnormally great especially for a fighting game. i don't know why bad reviews were put, but this is a real and pure definition of great games. the trophy system makes it last and its multiplayer is good, not to mention the fact that you can have your own tournament of up to 64 players and melee mode which is up to 4. you can complete many modes each one holding a special rare trophy in the game. if you aim for all the trophies, this game could last 3-4 years! Expand
  93. Ujpupip
    Jun 11, 2006
    Best game for a Cube, very deep and hard if you plan to learn all the advances techniques: Wavedash, shfflc..etc.. a kis can play it and have fun, an adult can play it and discover all its deep and spend hours training to become the very best, yu need fast fingers and a fast mind to be good (except if you play bowser xD)
  94. MichaelK.
    Jun 2, 2006
    im jus gonna point this out: SSBM is one of the deepest, most creative, and funest game i hav ever played. the single player is extremely good and the multiplayer is legendary. seriously if anyone remembers Goldeneye for the n64's multiplayer, SSBM is better then that. my freinds and i play it non-stop for hours on end and were all 19. if u dont like this game u r definately a im jus gonna point this out: SSBM is one of the deepest, most creative, and funest game i hav ever played. the single player is extremely good and the multiplayer is legendary. seriously if anyone remembers Goldeneye for the n64's multiplayer, SSBM is better then that. my freinds and i play it non-stop for hours on end and were all 19. if u dont like this game u r definately a tekkenhead or a virtua fighter junkie cause u jus luv ur fighter complicated and not very fun. SSBM is a game for anyone young 7 year olds to grandparents. Expand
  95. IanT.
    May 4, 2006
    If you're a child, or get beaten by children on real fighters (DOA, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Killer Instinct) then you will enjoy this button masher fest. If you always destroy your friends in real fighters, then play this one with them, they will actually have a chance.
  96. DerekE.
    Apr 4, 2006
    This game is absolutely incredible. At first it started out as the most fun I'd ever had playing a fighting game.... but, then as you realize just how complex the game play can get when you integrate some of the secret, upper tier moves it becomes something different entirely. Seriously, if you own this game and haven't figured out the wavedashing, short hopping, and L-cancel This game is absolutely incredible. At first it started out as the most fun I'd ever had playing a fighting game.... but, then as you realize just how complex the game play can get when you integrate some of the secret, upper tier moves it becomes something different entirely. Seriously, if you own this game and haven't figured out the wavedashing, short hopping, and L-cancel (etc.) moves... do yourself a favor and google it. It transforms the game and takes it to an incredible level.... it's now possibly my favorite game of all time. I mean, I have had this for years and I still play it with friends at least 3 times a week. Expand
  97. EddieE.
    Mar 11, 2006
    I bought SSBM as the first game on my Gamecube. Although I have bought several other games for my system, I still believe that SSBM is extremely better than any game I have purchased. To this day I still play this game on an almost daily basis.
  98. AgustinO.
    Jan 7, 2006
    This game kept me entertain for yours if you dont get this game then you miss on an opportunity a hours of fun, and if this game sucks so much then how come its been on one of the top game for gamecube for the past couple of years?
  99. JustinB.
    Oct 3, 2005
    There is a reason this game has remained one of the top selling GameCube titles for years, and if you haven't played it, you owe it to yourself to find a way.
  100. Sep 10, 2011

An exotic cocktail of entertainment for Nintendo fans, who will slurp up every last drop, and if you want to talk about longevity, I've had this game on import for about six months and I still haven't finished it.
  2. A Nintendo fanatic's dream, if only for the exhaustive gallery of collectible Nintendorabilia. [Feb 2003, p.96]
  3. Seeing the ducks from "Duck Hunt" or the 2 dimensional Ice-climbers (also featured as playable characters) will have you praising Nintendo for their kindness in bringing back some long forgotten gaming moments.