9.1

1. Nov 8, 2013
    Well this game is different yes, the story is great, the game play too. I was about to give it a 9, but I had to give it a 10 because this is one of many few games I have played more than 2 times. I can;t say the same for it's Wii sequel, which I actually wanted to end so i could play something else.
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You must buy this game!

Tales of Symphonia was one of the first RPG's I ever played and got me hooked on the genre. The characters are well developed and interesting. The cel shaded graphics are brilliant and the gameplay is some of the best for an action RPG. I have played several other Tales games and I always find myself comparing them to this one, and they never quite get there.

The story is classic JRPG but it is very interesting as it has heavy religion based dialect (at the beginning anyway) which doesn't bore you thanks to the way the story is told. They get the mix of serious main arc and plot twists with funny conversations and running gags such as Colette always falling over and Raine slapping Llyod and Genis upside the head!

My only issues with the game are the camera only follows player 1 in battle. I am doing a co op run with a friend and he keeps getting lost off screen. The other thing is no free roam ability in battle like Vesperia and Abyss. Small details that shouldn't stop anyone playing this game.
  3. Dec 9, 2013
    einfach nur Scheiße,
    einfallsloser japan Quatsch
    den kein Mensch braucht solche Spiele gehören auf den Index,
    da sowas unsere Kinder wirklich versaut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Feb 27, 2013
    Symphonia was my first experience with a tales of game. The story is nothing special but the battle system ist just awesome and fun to play. I also like the graphic style though nowadays there are games with much better cel shading graphic out there. The soundtrack does have really good battle themes. Real good one and the gamecube hasnt that much rpgs anyway.
  5. Dec 7, 2013
    Game: Tales of Symphonia
    Genre: RPG-Action
    Developer: Namco System: Nintendo Gamecube (GCN) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: 9/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Only Tales game on Gamecube +Decent story and characters +Well made
    Game: Tales of Symphonia
    Genre: RPG-Action
    Developer: Namco
    System: Nintendo Gamecube (GCN)
    Total Score: 88/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 9/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Only Tales game on Gamecube
    +Decent story and characters
    +Well made visual design
    +Voice acting well made
    +Musical score is amazing
    +Lengthy story and great replay value

Cons
    -Gameplay a bit rough and generic
    -Mechanics seem a bit slower than other Tales games
  6. Oct 27, 2012
    This is by far the best JRPG i have ever played. It has awesome characters, great story, fantastic combat system and is just overall a fantastic game experience. It also has very high replayabillity rate, being one of the only games ever, that i've wanted to play again as soon as i was done with it. The only thing that could be better about this game is if it was longer, not because it'sThis is by far the best JRPG i have ever played. It has awesome characters, great story, fantastic combat system and is just overall a fantastic game experience. It also has very high replayabillity rate, being one of the only games ever, that i've wanted to play again as soon as i was done with it. The only thing that could be better about this game is if it was longer, not because it's too short, but simply because you just want more of this amazing game. Expand
  7. Aug 10, 2013
    To put it simply, this is the FF VI/VII; the Lunar The Silver Star; the Suikoden II; the Chrono Trigger, the Xenoblade Chronicles of its own series. To put it simply, this is the best Tales Of experience there will probably ever be, and luck for everyone there's an HD remake around the corner.
  8. Jun 11, 2013
    This is my all time favorite game. The story is fantastic, the plot twists are intense. I think the best part of the game is the characters, you end up caring for them and you want them to explore their world and experience everything. If you love RPGs you'll love this game!
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    Possibly one of my favorite games of all time, Tales of Symphonia manages to excel at everything it tries to do, from the highly detailed and plot twist filled story, to the nearly perfected combat system. The story should take you around 20~40 hours on your first play through, and it is so rich with detail, you'll want to play through multiple play throughs. In Symphonia, they bring backPossibly one of my favorite games of all time, Tales of Symphonia manages to excel at everything it tries to do, from the highly detailed and plot twist filled story, to the nearly perfected combat system. The story should take you around 20~40 hours on your first play through, and it is so rich with detail, you'll want to play through multiple play throughs. In Symphonia, they bring back the Artes system reworked as Techs, and it works really well. You won't learn new Techs by only leveling up, as some skills can only be learned by using a certain skill a set amount of times, not to mention the S Type and T Type systems, branching out your skills so you'll have to do multiple playthroughs to truly get all of the Techs possible. Then, we have the EX-Skills, which are bonuses added to your character depending on the EX Gems they have equipped. Note that these gems can also change your type, making these gems invaluable. The battle system is beautiful, and the game is actually challenging! You actually need to think which party members will do the best against which bosses. You will need to think of strategies to apply to the AI so you can counter bosses with enormous effect! Speaking of AI, you aren't forced to play with them, so long as you have friends, as the game is 4-player co-op! And even if you don't have any friends to play the game with, the AI isn't bad in the slightest (aside from a few suicidal moments they have in combat) meaning that even without friends, you won't be screwed! The soundtrack, composed by the wonderful Motoi Sakuraba, is beautiful. In battle, the music always gets me pumped to fight more enemies, and in the sadder moments, it really sets the tone. Character development is great in Symphonia, as all characters have an in-game findable back story, and the plot twists really make you get to thinking as to who you can truly trust, and who is really your friend. Lastly, the puzzles. They're really clever, and they really make you think as to what the solution is. Some puzzles take about five minutes, while others may take you up to an hour to fully complete. They're really intuitive, and I love them! (Even if I get stuck on them sometimes.) All in all, this is a 10/10 game, and I completely recommend the game to any J-RPG lover, or just RPG lovers in general! Expand
  10. Oct 29, 2013
    This game tackles issues most games try to avoid and does it "Tales" style. "Friendship" is once again a big deal...again, but it is merely a peeve and does not hider the game's appeal. The game play is a strength and the story is even stronger, look no further if you want a champ, this game delivers from intro to outro.
  11. May 3, 2015
    It'd be great if it weren't for its target audience being young kids.

Everyone can somewhat agree that JRPGs tend to be 99% teenager oriented with lots of cheesy drama, poorly made simple character relationships, and since the late 90s, silly emo villains who want to destroy the world because it's just such a bad world to live in. I've lost count of the JRPGs that did this, some of
    It'd be great if it weren't for its target audience being young kids.

I've lost count of the JRPGs that did this, some of them with incredible talent and success(Persona 3 FES), some which end up as a giant pool of silliness(Final Fantasy X).

ToS doesn't aim for the teenage crowd, for once. Or if it does, it's very slightly.

It aims for a younger crowd. Little kids.

Let me be blunt and say that this is a terrible design choice. First off, the entire game is exposing a story that is for all intents and purposes your typical JRPG story but with characters that are even more childish than usual. A simple example: like all JRPGs, you need your hero to have some sort of flirt or love interest in the party. Here, the closest thing we get to a romantic relationship is a shy talk about mundane things on a hotel's balcony.

It's painfully childish at all times. It's a refreshing change to have something else than teenage, but this is even worse; Not in a sense of annoyance or stupidity, but in a sense of constant disinterest. I don't care for the childish relationships of the characters, I don't care for any of the plot devices or emotions expressed. The entirety of the story is fine but it can't pique my interest in any way. With JRPGs I tend to get interested, then get annoyed at the stupid(unless I never got interested in the first place). Here, I just let it roll without ever batting an eye. It's a constant smooth stream of cutesy childish talks, drama that is very lightly touched(whatever truly sad moments happen are grazed over and then ignored because it has to stay upbeat and kid-friendly), and humour that would probably make an 8 year old chuckle, but would make a teenager cringe, and just bore an adult like me.

It's an interesting idea to have a JRPG just for kids. But the sad thing is, it simply doesn't work. I don't know of a single kid under 12 that would go through with the 50 to 70 hours of play time ToS offers. Kids I know just don't have that patience or commitment. And kids over 12 will probably find this cringeworthy or at the very least quite boring.

The shame is that besides the story and characters and very childish tone, and despite a few minor issues with the visuals and plot, the entire game is a masterpiece. Its combat is brillant and extremely fun, it's one of the few RPGs where just grinding is a constant enjoyment, the music ranges from meh to very nice and never devolves into plain boring, the art style is great and cell shading technology makes this game absolutely booming for GameCube standards. It still looks great today, like the original Wind Waker.

It's fun and memorable with lots of interesting elements in the gameplay, upgrade, weapon, healing, and every step opens a new little adventure or sidequest that you just can't say no to, and if the level design and music seldom soar near the heavens, they certainly do a decent job.

It's just the story that is a drag and can't keep any sort of interest with me. Ironically, this might be an excellent game to speedrun, but as RPGs go, this is one of the most boring ones I can think of in terms of story. I played through it many times, and constantly stopped at yet another fortress/dungeon with their meh music, or just because I was so unequivocally disinterested with the story. A shame since it manages to do what almost no RPGs do, be fun to just play and yet have enough depth and complexity to keep you going for dozens of hours.
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    I wish I could write a really articulate review...but I just love Symphonia so much! It's my favorite game ever and I find no flaws with anything in it except for the lack of voice acting in the skits. Best JRPG I've ever played.
  13. Mar 15, 2015
    One of the first games I played with my sister and THE BEST GAME I have ever played.

We were both engrossed in the story and I remember being so excited to come home from school so I could play this game. Even now, I still feel sympathetic for some of the characters. The game is just extremely likeable - the combat is 'real time' ( LOL I don't remember the actual name for it) which I prefer over turn-based combat, and the storyline is just amazing. Maybe I hyped it up because I played it last when I was about 12, but I love it.

1. Arguably the finest example ever made of the truly traditional Japanese RPG. It may be clichéd, and altogether a little too bright and happy for its own good, but Tales of Symphonia is nonetheless epic, enjoyable, and superbly constructed.
  2. It's through the amount of details, distractions and other additions to the more obvious elements that Symphonia builds itself up from what starts as an above-average RPG into one that'll stand as a benchmark in future. [Oct 2004, p.102]
  3. It's another masterpiece by Namco and a more than welcome addition to Namco's ever growing 'Tales of' series.