• Publisher: Gameloft
  • Release Date: Aug 22, 2013
  • Also On: PC
7.3

1. Sep 29, 2014
    Asphalt 8: a great game that is destroyed by the "Play-to-Win" structure. The good: -Amazing graphics and quality gameplay for a mobile racing game, easily one of the best I have seen to date. -Great car list to choose from (Heck, my car is in this game!). -Good course variety....but not as good as Asphalt 7. The bad: - The game's "Pay-to-Win" structure completely obliterates everything this gorgeous game has to offer.

I am not even going to bother with what I specifically like about this game. The "Play-to-Win" structure is such a huge problem with how this game works and it's programmed on purpose against the players.

In-game purchases such as unlocking faster cars early in the game or buying certain parts for actual money is not new in games, it has been around for a few years, but this game charges you for everything - I feel as if Gameloft will put a charge on my credit card just for booting-up the game...and they probably would if they could.

If you choose not to purchase car packs for $100 (yes...I am not joking that there are car packs for $100) the game will make it impossible to win events until you break down and spend money to bypass them. The AI cheats and is unrealistically hard. Many of the very early events in the career are nearly impossible to finish in the top 3 and is very common to finish dead-last no matter how aggressive you drive - the rubber-band AI will constantly pull far ahead of you with no chance to catch-up. This AI structure makes it nearly impossible to win races to earn any points to upgrade cars or purchase new ones, but instead leads to racing the same races over and over and OVER again until your frustrated and just "buy" your way into winning the game. THIS IS NOT HOW A VIDEO GAME IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED!

I never spent a penny on in-game purchases except for the money to actually buy the game. 6 months into Asphalt 8 and I was still trying to upgrade the first car your given to move onto the next series then found out my car was no longer qualified for the races and needed to purchase a car that (at the rate I'm going) will take me two years to buy or go spend $20 at the in-game store....no thank you!

Asphalt 8 is an amazing game, but is a huge scam to players and Gameloft knows it. The fact they charged this game to players (At launch date) then started tweaking the game's difficulty to buy your way to winning should be an illegal business practice.

Playing a video game is about beating all the events, not buying your way to unlock everything.

Do not buy this game and do not support Gameloft and this method of business. If have to have a solid racing game for your mobile device then get Asphalt 7 - it has a lot of variety in content that you don't need to buy in order to win and the graphics still hold well to this day.

With the same amount of money you need to win/buy cars in Asphalt 8, you could spend that same money on a console/PC game and get all your content and features up front without paying to win.

Also, if anyone else reading this review thinks the pay-to-win model in this game is bad, the video game industry is headed towards that direction and is a complete rip-off to the consumers. This could very well kill the future of video games to many consumers such as myself.

Score: 2

(1 for the cars, 1 for the graphics)

-8 for the "Play-to-Win" structure.
  2. Jan 15, 2014
    why it doesn't work on all phones? ex: i have allview x1 soul 1.5 quad 2 gb ram and video chipset same as S4, android 2.2.1..... and in app store saids it's not supported for mi phone...............................
    i can't understand why.
  3. Dec 14, 2013
    Despite it's improved graphics, the game doesn't feel real and the multiplayer feature is full of errors. Nearly everything in this game is a bad mess.
  4. Sep 8, 2013
    For the first time the game looked awesome but after playing more than 2 hours, you understand that this game made only for making money. You can't buy new cars for new races, because you don't have enough money, so you should play one race for 30 times or.... USE IN APP PURCHASES that's sad

1. Oct 20, 2013
    Like arcadey racers? You'll like this. Not a petrol head? You'll still like this. [Dec 2013, p.76]
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    Fantastic value for money, but not actually a great racer. [Nov 2013, p.79]
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Asphalt 8: Airborne is an intuitive racer with a large variety of race modes and cars to take for a spin. It provides plenty of content for its price at first, but the business model forces grinding or heavy purchases in the late-game.