6.8

1. Dec 15, 2013
    I was surprised to see some of the negative reviews for this game. It's in the same vein as the previous digital "Magic -2013" games and so on, so it doesn't really do anything new. But as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The main game gives you 10 decks, with an extra 5 upon paying for the expansion for an extra $5. You also get to place two headed giant, meaning 2 vs 2 with a computer AI as your partner, and even though you cannot do this online with your friends, it still enriches the experience. New to 2014 is the Sealed Play option, allowing you to unwrap several digital booster packs and create the best deck with it. It's a nice little addition, but you only get two "decks" to create. I'm assuming the lack of variety with this feature is what really annoyed those that were looking forward to it because of how constricting and limited you are when creating your decks.

All in all, this is not the perfect MtG experience, but it's a fantastic stab at digital MtG on-the-go. I'm never bored with it. Ever. Add the fact that you can purchase three additional deck packs (2 decks per pack for 2.99), you're looking at over 20 decks for just over $20 bucks. Keep in mind that you can play any of these decks like you would the original ten, so you have the variety to keep you hooked and occupied for a very long time.

Like I previously stated... Perfect? No. Pretty close to perfect? Yep. I love this game despite it's minor flaws, but it cannot go unsaid that the digital Magic games have been getting better and better each year. I'll continue to buy them as they are released (generally multi-platform too, so I'm dropping a decent amount of cash to play on my iPad, Steam, Android phone, etc). And I couldn't be happier. MtG on the go is AWESOME!!

1. Jul 16, 2013
    So the prominent new feature in Magic 2014 is the ability to pay Wizards of the Coast extra money each time you play it. What a horribly crass presentation of a wonderful feature. It sits like a stinking hole in the middle of an otherwise presentable game and therefore completely undermines any reason to play this when you could instead be enjoying last year’s planechases.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    Magic 2014 is just about everything that made Magic 2013 such a special game, and while it's not exactly revolutionary in its gameplay, we probably wouldn't want it any other way.
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    At last, a version of Duels of the Planeswalker that offers free deck crafting with its Sealed Deck mode! That's a hell of a progression for the series, even though it's still far from perfect, since the Sealed Deck mode only offers a handful of different cards and the other pre-constructed decks are far from ambitious or originally conceived.