5.7

1. Nov 18, 2011
    Im sad to see the 2 poor reviews even one from a critic who should be informed that this is not the final release of minecraft iOS pocket edition. It even says v0.1.2 ALPHA just like normal minecraft this will have updates with new features, they can't simply press a button to transfer from pc to iOS. He mentioned it some time on twitter or his blog.
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    $6.99 at the app store and this is what I get?! Okay, lets go over a few of my favorite things about minecraft pc edition. #1. The infinite worlds. #2. The ton of items you can craft through smelting and mining. Does pe (pocket edition) have that? I think not. The items are what you would expect, the things to make the kids who cant afford $25 minecraft happy. TNT, tools, yadayadayada. The world size is my main point against minecraft because its 100% right. Its tiny!!!!! Its puny! Its not even varied. Its still randomly generated, I will give them that, but in reality, its just a single medium sized grassland biome with about 12 trees and a few light hills, the tallest having a small stone cave. It can vary, but its usually around that. The world is cut off at invisible wall, about 24 seconds of running from the very middle. Mining is where they got somewhere, although not really. Its similar to the pc version so its not THAT bad, but its still missing things like crevices and thing that really make mining fun. The mining combined with the fact its got a few small meh parts got it a 2, but don't buy this app. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    Okay, so maybe this isn't as great as the PC version of Minecraft, but how can anyone expect it to be. It is called Pocket Edition for a reason. It's supposed to be played on the go. They keep adding new content so it keeps getting better and better. Until the devices you play Pocket Edition on get better, the game will have it's limitations. Go out and buy this game now, before it gets to its full potential and the developers raise the price! This is a great game. Expand
  4. Nov 24, 2011
    The pocket edition is where the PC version was 15 months ago developmentally speaking. This is an independent adaptation of an indie game, so think of this as a portable tribute instead of the real deal.
  5. Jul 6, 2013
    A really downgraded port of the PC version.
    The Good
    Runs smoothly
    It's minecraft in your pocket
    The Bad
    So few features
    Updates contain so little
    The Controls are horrible
    Creative mode dosen't contain all the items in the game
    No randomly generated structures
    £4.99/$6.99
  6. Sep 15, 2013
    Taking the famous PC game and moving it to mobile devices seems like a interesting idea, but it end up being to big of a task for the developers. What you get with "Pocket Edition" is a lifeless and barren world that you craft almost whatever you want in, but the amount of fun you have entirely depends on how much you love to build. If you enjoy exploring caves (which aren't in this version) and fighting monsters then you're out of luck. I've never played the PC version, but it always looked like a lot of fun to team up with a friend and try to survive while building your own fortress. Unfortunately none of that transfers over into this port. The game is separated into two modes, survival and create. Create gives you endless supplies and lets your imagination run free without any distractions like monsters getting in your way. The problem with this mode is that the world you're placed in is so barren and lifeless that I couldn't stick around to play for more than a few minutes without giving up thanks to boredom. Survival mode throws you into a scarcely populated world, devoid on any monster filled caves, and tasks you with building shelter to survive the night. There's no real enjoyment to be had in this mode either. Only one monster type is available and poses next to no threat. This mode made me give up as well thanks to boredom. Overall the promise on Minecraft on a mobile device sounds too good to be true, and unfortunately it is. "Pocket Edition" is lifeless, barren, and most disappointingly boring. Collapse
  7. Nov 18, 2011
    The game is an excellent transfer of the incredible indie hit to a portable device, however it's quite clear that the experience couldn't fully be brought over to the iOS platform, and while an fun distraction from work or whatever else, it's a version of minecraft that won't see you building a giant Charizard or functioning toilets with actual flushing, but still worth the asking price, especially to continue supporting Mojang which will soon 'release' the actual 'final build' of the game, with many updates to follow swiftly as it has been doing so. DOWNLOAD IT. Expand
  8. Jan 28, 2012
    Even though there are little bugs, and there is only creative, now I can play Minecraft handheld! Hopefully they will add survival later on. I still give this a ten because this is a good idea; play Minecraft anywhere and everywhere!
  9. Nov 23, 2011
    i know its kinda well boring for now but survival mode is coming and its official by notch. i dont see why its so bad its minecraft on the ipod. just be patient and wait a month more and survival mode will come. and more things
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    well to all of the people who didn't wait for it to become really epic with multiplayer and survival mode and waaaaaaay better controls. i would have to say suck it because the new minecraft is defiantly worth 7.50 dollars
  11. Jun 19, 2012
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt for being porrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttaaàaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbble!!!!!
  12. Feb 14, 2013
    Pocket Edition is a wonderful transfer from the PC. Though it lacks the features the PC has, and the controls are a bit wonky, it's still a great game for on-the-go.
  13. Jul 9, 2013
    Its okay but Minecraft pocket edition needs a lot of updates like nether portals, wolfs, and many other missing stuff. But other than that its a fun game to have when your on the road away from your PC.
  14. Sep 5, 2014
    Seriously why are all these bad reviews, yes i know its not as good as PC but remember u can go to a restaurant and use it easily, u can use it in A LOT of places, u cant randomly bring your laptop to all these places but u can with ipad/iphone and btw its only $8 and its still an excellent game, still fun! They r still improving it and turning it into PC (dont know why they didnt do like PC from the start) but still very good Expand
  15. Nov 20, 2011
    i'll be blunt, this is a poor adaption of the much loved (by me) of mine craft. but lets not forget this is version 0.1.2 if I'm not correct so obviously there will be a few (many - hopefully) updates that will fix the slight flaws with having only creative, only 36 items in inventory and the controls are a bit clunky if not annoying but ONLY because i'm playing on the iPhone 4. the app is universal so i recommend playing it on the IPAD defiantly. The other thing that annoys me a bit is that the world that is generated are always quite small and this is understandable as this game is being played on a phone but with more powerful phones being made every year i hope there is a point where we can reach an unlimited world. i would recommend for the hardcore fans but think before you by as the price is a bit steep for the little amount of content they give. Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2011
    It's essentially the same as the alpha version was on the pc version. They have said they would update this game in the future like they did with the pc version as well. It's a start and it is still amazing to play any form of minecraft on a phone. It is only fair to be patient because Notch isn't like other developers. He could have released this game in a year or two when it was perfect, but chose to release it now and support it with updates. Expand
  17. Dec 15, 2011
    Right now it's more of a solid proof of concept than a real game, but add survival mode, inprove or a least let people customise the controls better, and generally bring it up to the standard of the PC version and it could be a master piece. Also work out some way to support mods and texture packs.
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    This is my second review of "Minecraft: Pocket Edition" because the game has some large updates. The game is progressing to its standards, but definitely cannot match the PC version, nonetheless. The controls aren't as straightforward and easy to use like the PC version, and I doubt that any significant changes will be made to that.
  19. Apr 17, 2013
    Although it is a very basic version of minecraft, they are adding new things and it clearly says Alpha when you get to the main menu. This means there are more things to come and the game is not finished. I still think it is very fun and a good way to pass the time
  20. Jul 13, 2013
    This version is nothing compared to Minecraft. Compared to PC, this version DEFINETLY is not as worth it money wise. The graphics, the difficulty, and just the overall gameplay just want you to scream "I'M BORED!"
  21. Aug 12, 2013
    In November 2011 we were treated to Minecraft: Pocket Edition. A Minecraft game that had almost nothing to relate itself to Minecraft except for the blocky world. Almost two years later. Minecraft has reached version .7.2 Alpha and I'm happy to say that this game definitely feels like Minecraft. There are better controls, monsters to hide from, ores to mine, items to craft, houses to build, and a sky to look at. Still, this doesn't mean that things aren't missing. Caves are nowhere to be found,so resources are harder to gather. Red stone nerds can't make any red stone machines. The list of omissions is still endless. Still, that doesn't mean that MCPE isn't fun and addicting. Expand
  22. Dec 17, 2013
    Offering nothing but a pale imitation to its far, far better PC version, Minecraft: Pocket Edition will craft you to boredom with its finite world of no opportunities.
  23. Feb 1, 2014
    I cannot imagine why on Earth Minecraft has such a low score. This is an excellent little game. Myself and my seven year old daughter love it. I play on the Kindle Fire HD and She plays on My Samsung Galaxy 3. We often do multiplayer and spend a few hours creating amazing imaginary structures.

Minecraft is the perfect sandbox game. There are two game types, Survival and Creative.
    Survival requires you to mine for materials and stay alive by eating food and fighting beasties. Creative gives you an infinite amount of items and materials so you can just build to your hearts content. The worlds are made of square blocks. You can mine into the earth or build upon it. I have had a great time building underwater cities, hollowed out mountain houses, floating islands, underground cave homes and giant castles. The world truly is your oyster.

With the latest update you can build mine carts and use electric switch systems to really experiment. The game is as deep as you want to make it, you can spend months in survival mode building an impenetrable fortress or simply recreate your own home in creative mode.

The graphics are bright and the block worlds and characters are really unique. The controls on a touch screen are perfect and feel very natural while playing. I really don’t have a bad thing to say about this game. At just £4.99 it’s a bargain. Make this top of your mobile/tablet game list!
  24. Mar 25, 2014
    Minecraft is basically a super fun game that takes place in a 3-D block world. You mine, build, craft, and create anything you want. Basically there are two modes, survival and creative. In creative, you have and infinite amount of all resources and blocks and the ability to fly. There are no monsters and lives, and no time (day and night). Say you want to build a roller coaster or a big, fancy mansion? No problem in creative. Survival on the other hand is a little trickier but I like it better personally. There are monsters, lives, day and night, and hunger. You start out with nothing and you need to mine and dig for your resources. You can take your original stuff and craft it into better stuff. Say you have a few blocks of wood. You can then turn that into a crafting table which you can make a sword or a shovel on. It becomes super fun once you get far.

My personal experience with this game is super awesome. I personally like survival better.
    I will tell you, this game i probably best for 7 and up because you do kill little cartoonish monsters. Otherwise, it is a great game, there is no bad language, bad adult stuff such as drinking or drugs, and it definitely inspires kids to be creative and smart. All in all, I love this game and I think everyone should give it a try.
  25. Apr 15, 2014
    I don't understand the low score here on Metacritic for MCPE. Anyone who buy the game shouldn't expect a full blown Minecraft PC game but for smartphones but nowadays it's much better than what it used to be at least. I really like how fast they seem to be adopting right now. Though, it's probably not likely it'll ever reach the same features as the PC version but that doesn't matter because it does a wonderful thing at delivering an amazing game for smartphones. I got it for my iPhone and it's the only game I ever play on the iPhone.

Not only do they have a singleplayer function but also a multiplayer function which have allowed me to at multiple occasions meet up with friends in the game even though we are on different connections to chat and play. External servers (as found here: http://mcpeindex ) is still the most widely used option but there will also be something soon called Minecraft Realms, probably late this year, which will open up for getting servers directly from Minecraft/Mojang AB. It'll be subscription based and apparently work nice for a group of friends who just want to play on some stable online server once in a while.

I expect to still see the normal/current external servers still as soon as Minecraft Realms comes as it won't be covering the plugins part of the game etc.

I highly recommend this app. For 6.99 dollars it's a really neat game I think. Best of luck!
  26. Jun 2, 2012
    I love minecraft on PC, and that is why this version is such a shame. The creative mode is alright, but there is a very minimal assortment of blocks to choose from and the controls, but i wouldn't expect decent controls on a touch screen device anyway. What really angers me is the what Mojang tried to pass as "survival" mode. The current survival mode is pretty unbearable, seeing as most of the core features of survival mode dont even exist. You needto collect your own materials, but since there is no clay in the game yet you always have unlimited bricks. Same for glass, because there are NO FURNACES. No furnaces. Think about that. Think about all the uses for a furnace. Think about how necessary it is. Yea. That's half the game right there. So making torches is harder because you cant smelt charcoal, but even worse is the fact that dark places are unbearably dark. You can barely see anything. How am i supposed to go mining for coal so i can make torches, when the underground is too dark to see ANYTHING in. So by night time, the game is just annoying and not worth trying. I would just stick to creative. Survival is a disaster. Expand
  27. Jun 28, 2012
    Minecraft Pocket Edition, first, It was awful, because It was only in Creative Mode, and, in Creative Mode, you can build whatever you want, but It was completely not challenging, It was without zombies, creepers, skeletons, which I would rate that version 3.0, but now, Majong added Survival Mode, which is more fun. .But, still It doesn't have so much things like in PC Version. There you don't have a hunger bar, there you can kill only zombie and adding animals, for nothing, It's not necessary. It haves more things to do, but still disappointing. Expand
  28. Jan 6, 2013
    The game is ok for IOS however if you want to play minecraft i don't see why u would want to play it on IOS same with the Xbox version its ok but it does not beat the PC version.
  29. Jan 7, 2013
    The good about Minecraft PE is that its better than LITE. But the bad is that it cant make the masterpiece of PC version as there is no Creepers, Skeletons, Spiders, chat, brewing, dropping items, villages, redstone, railways and more. There is serious work needed for PE as this do's not capture the full items of Minecraft and another thing is there is no point for mining diamonds since the only mob are zombies. Expand
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    Update: They pinned down some things that needed to be done. Animals in creative, water, and lava are just a few. The score gets bumped up to 5. I hope the game gets even better.
  31. Jul 23, 2013
    I played this before the real PC version. But one thing: flint and steel is useless. it can only be used with TNT. Creative mode sucks. no crafting, no nether reactor working, NO TNT?!?! Creative is only useful in building. Survival is way better. If you want a better experience, crafting, tnt, flint and steel useful, more stuff, GET THE PC VERSION. It is worth 20 bucks. People say "The graphics are so crappy, the game is so crappy." IGNORE THEM! That is not a big deal. It is still good. Expand
  32. Aug 12, 2013
    minecraft pocket edition is not that good. first of all the worlds are to small and it has nothing compared to the PC/MAC/Linux version. there are practically no blocks and theirs no end or nether world. you can also get minecraft pocket edition for android but its not worth it. they just got BUCKETS in the game. dont buy unless you really want to.and it costs 6.99$
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    To the people who give this BAD FUDGING REVIEWS GO YOURSELF.
    This game, is not finished. It is an awesome game, especially because tablets have such less power then PC's. SUCK IT, PEOPLE WHO GIVE IT BAD REVIEWS.
  34. Oct 4, 2013
    Good game! I played this first then minecraft. Very much updates. Online Multiplayer (in alpha). Pocket version is all time in you ride. Play it love it.

Very Good Updates
    -LAN Multiplayer

Best One
    All Bugs Repaired in 1-2 Days
  35. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Face it, Minecraft PE will never live up to the Mac/PC/Linux edition. One major flaw is that there are no unlimited worlds. Compared to the computer edition the nether is an obsidian cave. No bosses, no Enderdragon. Heck, you can barely fly. I know there is more coming to the iOS edition but for now it's terrible. Expand
  36. Nov 5, 2013
    The best game i have ever played. Pocket Edition is better than Xbox 360. I haven't tried PC yet but this is awesome and this is the best way to play Minecraft in my opinion.
  37. Dec 3, 2013
    The current Minecraft PE is much better now,it contain more feature,block,item and mobs.It run very smooth on my phone even everything is set to highest.There is something I don't really like is update is coming out very slow.Even update is slow but when a new update is come out it contain lot of new feature.

Minecraft PE is much better comparing to previous versions,it is worth to buy
    and it need given 10/10 score. Expand
  38. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is still in early development stage and requires a lot of updates still. The current version of this game is barely Alpha, more like Indev. Just like Minecraft PC, you wander around and break blocks, and build things, but what this game lacks are Redstone contraptions, it has a very narrow selection of building materials, there are no caves, or infinite worlds. Becomes very boring quickly.

I look foward to the 0.8.0 Update though. I will continue to edit this review as the game progresses. A score of 5 is currently what the game is worthy of, as the game becomes better I will continue to raise its score.
  39. May 18, 2014
    It seems to me that many played the early versions of the game, and wrote it off once they realized it didn't have ___, ___, and ___. It doesn't have infinite worlds, or certain materials/items, or some mobs/bosses (Enderdragon, anyone?), or places like the Nether and the "End". However, I think it is the prospect of simply being able to build, explore, and survive that attracts many to the game. It's simplistic nature is what attracts both young and old. To keep from getting bored, I download maps and mods, and play on External multiplayer servers (like Capture the Flag, Survival Games, and DayZ/.

Minecraft is something of a cultural phenomenon-- it has brought on countless imitations, ripoffs, knockoffs, and spin-offs (PixelGun 3D, Survivalcraft, Roblox, Terraria, etc). It has a wide variety of merchandise: clothes, toys, Lego sets, etc. It is rumored to become a movie one day. It is available on multiple platforms. Many YouTubers dedicate countless videos to the game, many have channels just about the game (ExplodingTNT, Orepros, ItsJerryandHarry, SkyDoesMinecraft, etc). Many 10-year-old noobs (for lack of better word) and wannabes make videos as well on the game. It is such a money-making machine! A game must be really good and appealing, or incredibly overhyped (which it might be) to be such and inspiration.

Kind of got off topic there, didn't I?

The game needs more mobs/bosses, more items/blocks, more environments, etc. It would be nice to have infinite worlds as well. Enchanted objects would be a plus. The list of omissions is long. Overall, it's not a perfect port of the PC version-but it'll do for now. Keep in mind it's name--Pocket Edition. It's a mini version. The game can't have everything the PC version has, because the devices many play it on probably couldn't handle it all. I still wish it had updates more often, and that the updates added more. Still needs work, but it bas improved from the beginning.
  40. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is mediocre right now. Barely worth $6.99. The game is underdeveloped and choppy. The crafting is cheap and doesn't contain the excitement as the PC version. As of 0.8.1, this game, while did add lots of new features, still isn't worth the 7 dollars, other than creative. Do not buy until the game is at least to where infinite worlds and better features start to roll in. Basically a downgraded version of indev PC version. Expand
  41. Dec 26, 2013
    Minecraft PE is a great port for iOS. It includes some of the features from the PC version. With every major update, MCPE is becoming more like the PC Minecraft. This game is worth $6.99. You should get this game.
  42. Jan 11, 2014
    This is the rating the original deserved. Not great, but not terrible. People were expecting to get everything from the computer edition in this? No. Of course not. I am not sure it is worth the price, but the PC version is not worth the price, that's for sure. Anyway, I enjoy it about as much as the original. They both have similar problems, but I can give this a bit of leeway because it is a mobile port. Expand
  43. Apr 6, 2014
    Though the pocket edition of the game is portable, It doesn't mean It's good, or entertaining. Night time in the game is very hard to see, as it is to build anything during it. At a later time maybe it will improve, but faith in the game can be long gone when It's on the I-phone and only the I-Phone
  44. Apr 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love minecraft I have it on the PC and the PS3 and I have it on my ipod. The PE is........ not the best best minecraft game. The survival gets really boring, creative is fine but it does not change from day to night.
    So over all I would not prefer this game.
  45. Jul 10, 2014
    Just plain boring. That's it!!!! It's just a lite or a demo version of a game that i don't like in the first place. It is addictive but in a lazy way.
  46. Oct 6, 2014
    This is just a bad port onto the mobile gaming community of a masterpiece of a game. If you like minecraft then get a PC or a console, don't get this broken game.
  47. Oct 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a note to mojang AB To make Minecraft pocket edition iOS better I suggest that you at least put in nether portals and some mods or texture packs. Can you please also put in dispenser buttons or pressure plate and red stone torches please. But overall it's a lot better the the demo version. Expand
  48. Sep 15, 2013

Not really worth the price in its current form, unless you're a die-hard fan of the Creative game mode of Minecraft. And yet it still manages to be a recommendable series, as there's something zen-like about just building to your hearts content.
  2. Jan 12, 2012
    For now it's all craft and no mine. [Feb 2012, p.87]
  3. Dec 12, 2011
    This iOS version, alas, is akin to the original's early iterations. You're only offered the sandbox creation mode, in which you potter about a vast landscape, placing blocks to build stuff. Recreate your own house; make a fairytale castle; spell out 'help, I'm bored' – the choice is yours. And that's basically it.