Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time iOS

• Publisher: PopCap
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2013
5.4

1. Oct 19, 2013
    Well, here we are. Plants vs Zombies 2. It's been an agonizing wait, but it's finally here! And our wait of 5+ years has been a disappointing, soulless trek of a game with micro-transactions like Tokyo has neon lights.
    I don't even know if we can call this Plants vs Zombies 2; Plants vs Zombies 1.5 seems like a more fitting title. All the charm and colour of the first game has been sucked out and replaced with a cold, watery substance. It's still fun, but the first game was fun too. Why do I say that? Because this game feels more like a Ctrl C/Ctrl V project than a whole new game. There are some new powerups and plants, and there's a few new settings too but they do little to change the formula.
    Popcap and EA have been going around saying they've done things to 'give the plants some more personality,' but they seem to have failed miserably. It's not bad, per se, it just feels lifeless and cold. I can only recommend this to hardcore PvZ fans, and even then that's stretching it.
  2. Oct 2, 2013
    Over the years, I managed to beat the original PvZ on my PC, then Mac, then iPad. So, clearly I liked the game. It was a fun and addictive game.

The problem with PvZ 2 is it's just not that fun. The grinding nature of the gameplay takes me back to the mid-90s RPGs where you would just fight battle after battle to advance (bear with me on this analogy). It was pretty fun for me, I was 7 and I knew that's what I was getting into with the RPGs and at least it served a purpose to level up my guys and give me new attacks. The grinding in PvZ 2 is annoying because it serves no purpose other than to frustrate you and make you spend money to advance.

Not letting you advance because you don't have enough stars really does hamper the fun. Games are supposed to be fun! Not frustrating exercises in repetition as this game is.

And for those people that say they have had a blast grinding through level after level...I gotta say..it seems to me that you haven't played a lot of really fun games before. And if you're a casual gamer of the post-Wii generation...I'm sorry to say but you really don't know how to enjoy a game properly because chances are you've just been conditioned to play freemium games and think "all games are like this, hence it's fun". They're not all like that and freemium games are rarely fun and they're often little more than tedious cash grabs.
  3. Sep 28, 2013
    After being such a huge fan of the first game, and seeing this one was free, it was a day one purchase for me. And after playing for a couple of hours, I could already see why this game is free. The biggest problem with this game is the the developers got greedy. To unlock most of the game, you need to either grind for keys, which takes hours just to get a few, or pay money for them. YouAfter being such a huge fan of the first game, and seeing this one was free, it was a day one purchase for me. And after playing for a couple of hours, I could already see why this game is free. The biggest problem with this game is the the developers got greedy. To unlock most of the game, you need to either grind for keys, which takes hours just to get a few, or pay money for them. You also pay money for coins, power ups, and getting the full game experience. So unless you want to play the same levels over and over again, you have to pay real money. And also, you have to play the same levels over again, just due to the fact you need stars. The challenges, whilst fun, are repetitive and can get boring. There's also not as much content as it might seem, the game just pads itself out for no reason. The game also doesn't have much creativity as the first, whilst the first all the mini games are unique, the challenges in this game are just the same challenges repeated with more difficulty. The game also really barley innovates. Most of the plants are just the old plants from the first, including the plants you have to pay for. The new plants are alright, welcome additions, but there is not enough new ones to make the game feel unique. The humor is also not as good as the first game, I only laughed once at this game, Dave's new partner is not funny and takes away from the charm of the original game.

The game does have good parts. The game is still fun, if barley changed. The music is great, very catchy just like the first, though most songs are just remix's. The graphics are great, though I prefer the original games art style, it just feels more stylish and cartoony. Also, through the whole game, I used plants from all over the game, whether as in the first game a lot of plants were situational and I rarely used half of the plants.

I recommend getting the game, but only because it is free. It is such a disappointment, but still worth it because of the 0 dollar price tag. Don't actually waste money on it though, it's really not worth it. Also, I would only just complete the main levels, the other levels take way to much grinding to get to. If you haven't played original, get it instead. Actually worth your time and money, unlike the sequel.
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    This game isn't bad, its just, the first one beats it in several ways. There's the better story with the evil doctor, there is a cool boss fight at the end. The night and day, along with the pool areas differences as well as the roof transitions from PART 1 seemed to have a more meaningful and emotional impact than the transitioning between different time periods in PART 2. Something isThis game isn't bad, its just, the first one beats it in several ways. There's the better story with the evil doctor, there is a cool boss fight at the end. The night and day, along with the pool areas differences as well as the roof transitions from PART 1 seemed to have a more meaningful and emotional impact than the transitioning between different time periods in PART 2. Something is lost from part 1 and I can't put my finger on it, but PART 2 is LESS fun, yet still fun because it retains the core element of the game. They should have done more "Yeti" type characters, but that was a tiny improvement in the game. The way they asked you to spend money in the first game made me want to but things more. I beat the game without spending any money, and it wasn't as fun. Cmon EA, find the original creator and put him back to work...you guys can do better than this. Expand
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    This game is good but not excellent and it's rather sad. The point is that the first game offered you good and multifarious campaign as well as different additional puzzles that were really fun.

PvZ 2 seems to be big and interesting game but after playing Egypt level and switching to another world you find the game quite repetitive. Tasks (quests) are similar to each other and also there are so many additional puzzles that after some time you can come to conclusion that first game was better. It doesn't mean that PvZ 2 is bad but you can easily be bored with it after finishing the first half of the second world.
  6. Jul 29, 2013
    The game itself is a lot of fun. If you liked the first you will indefinitely like this one. The reason it should get the 6/10 score is the way that it conducts its business plan. With micro transactions. Even the ability of saying. Games too hard! I wanna finish and paying 30 dollars for the end. Sure. People will buy it. Sure its F2P but buying a single plant for 3 dollars is unheard of.The game itself is a lot of fun. If you liked the first you will indefinitely like this one. The reason it should get the 6/10 score is the way that it conducts its business plan. With micro transactions. Even the ability of saying. Games too hard! I wanna finish and paying 30 dollars for the end. Sure. People will buy it. Sure its F2P but buying a single plant for 3 dollars is unheard of. The first game had a plant garden and a stellar idea to it. This game definitely has the art-style that looks cutesy and a lot of frames then the original. If they would have kept the same business plan I would have rated it 9/10 for being a good game in general. Like the first but with a bunch more new plants. But you have to buy the plants from PVZ 1. Like the Snow Pea, Squash and Torch wood. Shame on you EA. Shame. It has a lot of new stuff including powers. But this is shameful. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2013
    A good game that's ruined by some decisions revolving around micro transactions. First off, if you have an old device without a front facing camera, you can't play the game. Unless you have an iOS device, you can't play the game. The game is what you expect though with improved graphics and improved animations and it's free! As I played through the "Egyptian Campaing" I got a sense of theA good game that's ruined by some decisions revolving around micro transactions. First off, if you have an old device without a front facing camera, you can't play the game. Unless you have an iOS device, you can't play the game. The game is what you expect though with improved graphics and improved animations and it's free! As I played through the "Egyptian Campaing" I got a sense of the the gameplay. You collect keys which allow you to open gates to side-quests allowing you to unlock other plants, special power-ups, and so on.There are 3 campaigns but, upon beating the final level of Egypt, I was blocked from moving forward. Now the grinding begins. You have to beat each level by meeting certain parameters set, ie don’t let the zombies trample the flowers, only use x plants, don’t lose any more than y plants, don’t spend more than z sun, etc. That's good and all but (yes another but) EA has decided to help us out, only if you are willing to pay for “microtransactions” that aren’t so micro. Want to have an extra seed slot, $3.99. Want the Jalapeno, Snow Pea, Imitator and Torchwood.....$14. As one reviewer said, "At every turn there is an attempt to nickel and dime you out of some money in order to play the game". And speaking of keys and levels in the campaigns, half of them are behind locked doors, along with some plants and powerups, and if you want to collect keys to open them, you have to play and replay the levels to randomly find keys, or pay some money for them. The funny thing about all this is that EA has done this to other games and done it right. Take the Sims for example. You get the WHOLE game initially and then you can pay for additional content that UPGRADES the experience. Even the Simpsons Tapped Out, another EA game, is much more reasonable than this. Or they could take a cue from Angry Birds, another game that does this so much better. I think (now on my soapbox) we can all agree that EA does deserve to make money from this game but why not make it available on all devices and why not charge a reasonable price for the whole game like the original (I paid $9.99 to get it on my computer, $2.99 to get the HD Version on my iPad and $1.99 to get it on my iPhone). That's $15 from just me for the first one. To clarify this rant, the gameplay is fun, the graphics and animations ARE an improvement and enjoyable as they add to the experience and gameplay. The gaming experience though is tarnished as they have modeled the gameplay around pushing the microstransactions as you don't get to experience the WHOLE game unless you plan to drop approximately $20 $25. Collapse
  8. Aug 15, 2013
    The game is similar to the previous PvZ but a greatly expanded world. It had become far more grindy to play though. This was likely added to incentivize the in-app purchases. Players are stuck grinding the same levels with additional challenges to gain access to new levels.
  9. Jul 24, 2013
    I have been playing the same since it was released on Australia a couple of weeks ago already, and sad to say it feels a bit flat and repetitive, the first one i just could not stop playing it, but this one start annoying you rubbing your face that you will have to pay for all the plants, then it comes repetitiveness once you complete the original course of any level, seeking for stupidI have been playing the same since it was released on Australia a couple of weeks ago already, and sad to say it feels a bit flat and repetitive, the first one i just could not stop playing it, but this one start annoying you rubbing your face that you will have to pay for all the plants, then it comes repetitiveness once you complete the original course of any level, seeking for stupid keys and stars to try to get more plants or pass to the next level.

I have no problem collecting stuff to progress in the game, but how it happens on PvZ2 is just boring, the same level with minor modification rules that dosent make the game more fun, just more annoying.

The finish touch is the lack of all the extra fun stuff on the original game, starting from the fun mini games and extra challenges that were FUN to play, hooo the old days, i really give it a go before posting the review, but i just cant play it anymore.
  10. Sep 27, 2013
    Pretty much the same game as the first, but now with more hassle to load up and start a game. The in app purchases feel out of place and uncalled for, though.
  11. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    Just like any other plants vs zombies game it is too lame to be good.But I have to say this I had fun playing this game but If you look on the other side you will notice that it is a waste of time playing this.
  12. Aug 15, 2013
    The game is has a lot of the original game's features in it but does have some plants that are not included unless paid for, some as much as $4. Despite the fact that there are pay-to-win features in it, it is still a very enjoyable game and most things can be done without the help of real life or in-game currency. Hearty recommendation even though it is a free-mium game.
  13. Aug 21, 2013
    Well, the game itself is pretty good. It's PvZ again, with some new plants and zombies, and the interesting plant food mechanic. Nothing wrong with that. Had they just charged $5 for it, I'd have paid it, played happily, and this score would be an 8 or 9.

Instead we get this weird "free" model where some plants are locked behind absurdly expensive fees. Getting enough keys to open everything up feels kind of grindy at times. But the worst thing is the coins.

The coins are now used to buy power ups instead of unlocking things. The weakest power up is an extra plant food, which is pretty strong to get out of a jam or get a head start with a surge of sun. The other three are completely broken and amount to I Win buttons. So long as you use them sparingly (or not at all), you'll have plenty of coins and never have to spend a dime.

If you start relying on them... well they totally break the game. You can pay to win in the most literal way there is. It's clear that they were added so that they could sell coins to players without the patience to learn how to play the game well enough to beat all the levels. and it weakens the entire game.

My advice? Forget the three power buttons exist, and try to use the extra plant food one as rarely as you can. You'll have a lot of fun with the game if you do that. If you use those buttons frequently, there is no real challenge except paying the bill.
  14. Jan 4, 2014
    As a game on its own terms, it's fine. It's an enjoyable experience and giving it anything lower than an average score would be disingenuous. But as a successor to PvZ, this game is a complete and total failure. Sequels should offer more than their predecessors, but PvZ2 offers far less than the original PvZ did. The Adventure mode only features three types of terrain and isn't evenAs a game on its own terms, it's fine. It's an enjoyable experience and giving it anything lower than an average score would be disingenuous. But as a successor to PvZ, this game is a complete and total failure. Sequels should offer more than their predecessors, but PvZ2 offers far less than the original PvZ did. The Adventure mode only features three types of terrain and isn't even complete yet, there are no achievements, there are no mini-games, there's no "I, Zombie" puzzle game, there are probably less than half as many plants as there were in the first game, and many of the familiar and helpful plants are now eternally trapped behind a paywall. I'm not against free-to-play as a concept, but it has to be implemented correctly. The items you can purchase should always be unlockable within the game, even if doing so is incredibly difficult or tedious. If in-game coins could be used to purchase the plants that are trapped behind the paywall, I'd be far less upset about this, but that is not the case. Yes, I don't need those plants to beat the game, but it's still a part of the game I can't access for arbitrary reasons. I'd much rather have just paid $10 for the game rather than have to pay over $20 to access all of the plants in the game. So now that we know what the game is missing, what did it add to the mix? Well, some of the new plants are rather cool and the plant food boosters are pretty sweet. I was rather fond of the pirate world, though the other two worlds weren't quite as fun. Some of the new zombies proved to be rather challenging and forced me to rethink a lot of my strategies. Survival mode is still around, though you have to recreate your entire defense every round, which is less fun in my opinion, though it is a bit more challenging, I suppose. And... that's about it. It's not a terrible game, but it's so shallow and dull when compared to the original that it hardly deserves to be considered a sequel. Expand
  15. Jan 13, 2014
    Entertaining strategy, free to play, and has a pretty good story line. Just about everything needed for a successful iOS game. This keeps me entertained for hours at a time!
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    I played the first three worlds and I loved it, so much. Addictive, at that time. But, at the moment, as new worlds come out, I am starting to lose interest in the game, maybe because there are not really something changed and I have to wait a lot to play a new world...
  17. Oct 23, 2014
    Plants vs Zombeis 2 is a good game, but is very inferior to the first one. The idea of time travel is great and leads us to excelent levels and zombies. However, there isn't much innovations in gameplay and most of the plants and some zombies come from the previous game. The plant food mechanic is good and the power ups as well, but these are obviously made to be sold by microtransations.Plants vs Zombeis 2 is a good game, but is very inferior to the first one. The idea of time travel is great and leads us to excelent levels and zombies. However, there isn't much innovations in gameplay and most of the plants and some zombies come from the previous game. The plant food mechanic is good and the power ups as well, but these are obviously made to be sold by microtransations.
    But, the worst thing in this game are the MICROTRANSATIONS. They took off plants like Jalapeño and Hypnoshroom that WERE IN THE PREVIOUS GAME and are selling them a part, And many features like the water, fog, roof and night levels weren't used (but they were recently released as a free update, at least).
    So, it's a interesting app and it's free, so, if you liked the previous game - which is excellent -, the gameplays you saw and don't care about the negative points raised here, go there and download it. It worth a try.
  18. May 12, 2015
  19. Jun 8, 2015
    Could you add up the old Plants from plant vs Zombies 1 to The new Plants Vs Zombies 2 and also add more new worlds like from china version of the plant vs zombies 2 they have new zombies and Plants that are new
  20. Jul 23, 2015
    The waves are getting boring and the developers wants you to pay to buy some flower.Musics are not good as plants vs zombies 1 and some of the special zombies are so ridiculous.Unfortunately they ruined the mood of the plants vs zombies.
  21. Aug 19, 2013

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A fantastic sequel, unhindered by its free to play model. Plant this on your device now! [Nov 2013, p.78]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time just works well in every way. The game makes good use of the Free to Play-model, with which you'll only pay for something to make it a bit easier for yourself. The game is just as enjoyable without spending a dime though.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    A big improvement on the first game, albeit one hampered by the free to play model. [Oct 2013, p.77]