5.9

1. Feb 28, 2013
    An amazing achievement of graphics and game-play on a mobile device. Sadly, EA got involved, and most of the design decisions have thus revolved around the one big question... "How can we force our users to pay more money". The result is one of the most horrible gaming experiences I have come across, where forced waiting times, forced upgrades and unavoidable vehicle damage (ie just *using* a vehicle gives it damage) attempt to extract as much real money as possible. Its cynical and oh so frustrating to see in what would otherwise be a show-stopping experience. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2013
    So this game is a better looking, better sounding Real Racing 2. The time shifted multiplayer is an awesome idea and works quite well. So why 1 star? Repair costs: higher end cars can cost thousands to repair, and you can't cover the cost if you don't win 1st in a race (and some events have really cheap payouts). To restart a race, you actually have to exit the app, and quit it from the fast app switcher. After performing maintenance, the "race" button is now replaced with a "repair now" button. Same colour and size too, so it's really easy to accidently spend 6 coins because you forgot about the timer. The multiplayer oftens chooses a good set of opponents, but some races are so easy, you end up lapping 2nd place. Other races pitted my stock Audi against all Porshe 911s which it was impossible to climb above 11th place. Expand
  3. Mar 1, 2013
    When i download and start a racing game and the game tells me after few minutes: your done. you cant race anymore. wait or way... i cannot help but feel insulted.

I maybe *could* understand this kind of behavior in facebook games or casuals. But inserting this kind of mechanik to a game that is clearly designed for GAMERS is nothing short of stupid. I would gladly pay 10... what the
    hell... even 20 Euro for this kind of game. Upfront. But this way: I hope you get the bill EA... I hope people realise there is a line crossed... Expand
  4. May 14, 2014
    It's a great game killed by in app purchase and (since Feb 2014) by constant adverts before and after every race. Just so you know for 100% completion you will have to splash money on RR3 considering that the dozen of high end cars cost about £50 each, and you will have to buy the upgrades for each car separately for about another £50. In total we're talking of over a thousand pounds, I think that's a valid reason to be angry against EA. Also there are lots of cheaters in the multiplayer game, it's not rare to see players completing laps in a couple of seconds. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    Tried to delight people with good graphics, but it fails in the basic, and despite it's "free", the game begs to money spent. When the game have a price (coming with the paid features) and do the basic better, it will deserve a "3" as score.
  6. Mar 1, 2013
    Graphically on par with Real Racing 2, maybe a slight edge over the previous release but the new IAP system and the fact that you must wait a specified amount of time for servicing your vehicle is a nail in the coffin for this game. I'll stick to Real Racing 2, a far more enjoyable game. If EA continues to release free-to-play games as they stated they will, Real Racing 2 may be the last of it's kind. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    I've been playing this great game for a long time and now I can tell with no shadow of doubt that the microtransactiom system just screwed the all the game. Great phisics, graphics that are just incredible... You can see that someone spent a lot of time in every detail to make a great game. But, come on! Get 800$ after winning a game with a car worth 500.000$ and that any of it's 20-30 upgrades costs at least 40.000$? Looks like someone is trying hard to make me spend some money. Until now you could say that I'm just afraid to spend some dollars, but even that part is just ridiculous... If you pay 10 dollars, a reasonably amount of money for apps and a price that I would certainly would payed for this game, you can have only 300.000$ of the game money. You can buy only one car and maybe upgrade it. And not even a great car. You gonna need dozens of fully updated cars to get to the half of the game. The 5 millions pack costs 100 dollars... It's just too much for a app. For me it's the only pack that really could make the game more easy. The first ones just don't make real difference.
    I could understand that kind a system (with, obviously, lower prices) on a facebook game or some game for casual players, but in a harcore game like this? They just ruined a big game.
  8. Sep 5, 2013
    Another Game ruined by Eletronic Arts.

"repair now" button. Same colour and size too, so it's really easy to accidently spend 6 coins because you forgot about the timer. Expand
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    These people want you to fork over $200 usd just to get you through the first six series of the game. That means, several hundred races. And you wont see any real racing cars yet, that doesn’t start for another 6 series.

Don’t want to pay? You can bore yourself to death racing like an idiot over an over to raise money to purchase cars and pay for the expensive upgrades. Mind you, any
    race you lose you will have to be waiting for a long time until you get to race again. For example, service time on a Porsche in the “Everyday Heroes” race is 1h and 50 mins.

So, even if you spend $200, it wont get you anywhere. That is 20 times the fair price for mobile game like that and you still end up empty handed and frustrated.

This should serve as a warning to parents, because their children could rack up quite a bill if they have access to their Apple Store password.

Last but not least, the game features the cheesiest soundtrack I have ever heard on a racing game.

My recommendation: If you are a fan of racing simulations, buy yourself a PlayStation 4 with Gran Turismo. For a fraction of the price you will get full access to an REAL racing simulation with an amazing soundtrack, Formula 1 cars, rally cars and it is a delightful experience.

Veredict: Gave Real Racing 3 a 1 star review and uninstalled it from my iPad.
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    The only thing I like about Real Racing 3 is the cars. What I disliked are the use of multiplayer, service, the way to unlock the cars, and the difficulty to win races in 1st place.
  11. Jun 28, 2014
    This game is all about trying to get you to spend money... specifically to buy gold. After some initial money based upgrades to cars that you can win the game they start making it so you can only do upgrades with gold which you cannot accumulate fast enough. You can't fully upgrade cars without using gold which the game does to provide enough opportunity to accumulate. 26 gold to go from 200 -> 201 mph and it takes you 20 races to get 26 gold so they want you to buy gold packs.

The Euro Supercar Duel is a good example. The last race requires a performance rating of 47. My Bentley Countinental Supersports has a PR of 45.3. Engine upgrade level 5 costs 18 gold and takes the car to 45.6, still far away from the required 47. It will take at least 70 gold to get the car to the required 47. So you spend 70 gold which takes forever to do with gameplay and then when you win all the races you'll win about 22 gold. So you will need to spend at least 100 gold to get the car to the minimum level to be eligible to win the level and you'll win 22 gold.

Simply, the game is designed to get you to spend money.
  12. Jul 17, 2014
    The amazing graphics for an mobile device and sounds, not to mention the over 50 real life licensed cars from performance to hyper grades,definitely recommend to play this game on an newer generation iPad, however just as i was expected by a free-to-play game published by EA, this game constantly want you to pay no matter upgrades or cars. This make me and I'm pretty sure other players who want to enjoy the game feel annoyed, not to mention the feeling of driving these cars seems to slow for a racing game.

Final Verdict: play this game only for it's graphics and sound effects, otherwise be prepared to get interrupted by the constant pay-to-win contents.

1. Apr 13, 2013
    A great game with gorgeous looks spoiled by excessive in-app demands. [May 2013, p.86]
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    A fantastic tablet racing game, but one that greatly overestimates its own importance and value with slow progress and expensive in-app purchases. [May 2013, p.81]
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    With the beautiful graphics and large amount of content, Real Racing 3 could be one of the best games the smartphone has ever seen. However the microtransactions and long waiting times take away much of the fun.