5.7

1. Dec 14, 2013
    It's graphics and gameplay are undoubtedly the finest. Yet, it is a bit of a cash grab as money always seems to get involved. Also, the cars are sometimes too sensitive and gets damaged easily. However, everything else succeeds to make this a good gaming experience.
  2. Jan 30, 2014
    I think this is the best racing game I've payed on the ipad. The graphics are excellent, lots of great cars, it makes you feel like you're really racing. Unfortunately with each upgrade the focus has become more about extracting the absolute maximum amount of cash from players. I've played since the game came out frequently several hours a day. I've spent about $30 buying extra gold toI think this is the best racing game I've payed on the ipad. The graphics are excellent, lots of great cars, it makes you feel like you're really racing. Unfortunately with each upgrade the focus has become more about extracting the absolute maximum amount of cash from players. I've played since the game came out frequently several hours a day. I've spent about $30 buying extra gold to buy cars. It used to be that once you owned all of the cars in a race series, you could compete the series with cars updated with race dollars, earned by playing. Now every new series requires upgrades with gold in order to complete.

I just bought the 66 Shelby cobra. I spent $20 to get the gold to buy it. In order to finish this series I will need at least 120 more gold to upgrade the car before I can even enter the few races. That will cost me another $20 or playing every day for 4 months.

I own 73 of the 79 cars. The last 6 cars cost a total of 3000 gold. That would $300 or playing every day for 1500 days. $300 is ludicrous. That's enough for a home gaming system.

On top of that is their tech support. I spent $10 and bought 65 gold. At the time I actually did it because I liked the game so much and hadn't paid a cent. I thought they actually deserved some money. Then my gold disappeared. I asked their tech support for help in late November 2013. Since then I have receive 3 responses, all asking for information, the same auto request each time. I answered each one with the information requested. I gave them the same info each time, exactly as requested. I've spent about 3 hours of effort trying to get help, It's January 30/14 and they have done nothing.

Without a doubt the worst tech support I have seen since I got my first computer in1990.

A great game but don't expect to complete the game unless you're rich. Don't ever expect help.
  3. May 12, 2014
    The Best racing game avaiable solo far, constantly updated:

Graphics: 7/10 Realism: 8/10 Gameplay: 8/10 Price 9/10 Multiplayer: 2/10 Sound:8/10
  4. Aug 9, 2014
    This is a visually stunning game, with beautiful courses and scenery. I will pass on the question of payment, wait times, unreachable goals, etc., as these have been dealt with elsewhere. My one quibble is with game play, most especially the Melbourne course. This course is a bad joke - it is unrealistic, artificial, and the ONLY way to win races here is to play dodgem cars, and literallyThis is a visually stunning game, with beautiful courses and scenery. I will pass on the question of payment, wait times, unreachable goals, etc., as these have been dealt with elsewhere. My one quibble is with game play, most especially the Melbourne course. This course is a bad joke - it is unrealistic, artificial, and the ONLY way to win races here is to play dodgem cars, and literally push other cars out of the way. This is ridiculous, and completely out of character with the rest of the racing. This course should be eliminated, and the regular Australian GP one used instead. Expand
  5. Mar 1, 2013
    An absolutely gorgeous game (especially on the iPad's Retina Display) marred by only a few shortfalls: the generally unobtrusive, yet ever present, attempts to get the player to spend real money via IAPs; the "if you don't use our currency to speed up delivery, we'll make you wait" trick for upgrades and repairs; and the fact that while your car is easily damaged (and its performance isAn absolutely gorgeous game (especially on the iPad's Retina Display) marred by only a few shortfalls: the generally unobtrusive, yet ever present, attempts to get the player to spend real money via IAPs; the "if you don't use our currency to speed up delivery, we'll make you wait" trick for upgrades and repairs; and the fact that while your car is easily damaged (and its performance is negatively affected), other cars are not at all affected not even superficially by your collisions with them. AI is generally stupid, too: if you try and pass another car on the inside of a corner, they'll haphazardly and senselessly crash into you.

The ultra-negative reviews are just hating because hating on EA and Activision is the 'cool' thing to do now on the internet... I guess they think that it increases their street cred, or whatever. Either way, this game is actually pretty good: it's really not that hard to ignore the IAP cash-in attempts (the wait times are usually pretty short), and you can switch to other cars in the meantime, and the graphics and gameplay are by far the best I've seen in an iOS-based racing game.
  6. Feb 28, 2013
    A fun addictive game, that makes you wait for repairs, allowing you to catch up on work, and other games in your back catalogue. You're so thoughtful EA!
  7. Feb 20, 2015
    Real Racing 3... more like Micro-transaction Racing 3!

Well, Real Racing has amazing graphics and pretty good framerate. It features detailed tracks and cars, the realtime reflections are beautiful and the game engine can handle 20+ car grid! The races are exciting and intense. It's really fun. The game features a so called Time Shifted Multiplayer (in other word: scam). It sounds good
    Real Racing 3... more like Micro-transaction Racing 3!

The races are exciting and intense. It's really fun. The game features a so called Time Shifted Multiplayer (in other word: scam). It sounds good that you play against your friends in a Time Shifted Multiplayer, but in real, it's not what it is called. At least it doesn't feel real. No problem, there is real multiplayer too in the game!

There is a huge variety of cars and tracks in the game. But to get car, you need to complete events, make money and you may spend real money for real progress. If you damage your car, you need to wait a lot. If you don't have multiple cars for an event, you really need to wait as you can't participate in that event so you may choose an other event with an other car. The damage system is somewhat OK, damage makes your car slower, ruins your brakes, etc... But why the hell even going to the grass damages your car? Also in some challenges, collisions are not allower. You collide, and you fail the challenge. But in a few cases, collisions were not registered perfectly. So it didn't feel stable.

While the graphics are amazing, the car handling is so generic. It feels good and optimized and made it simpler for mobile devices, but all the cars act the same. Just they have different acceleration, brake points, top speed, etc. And old 1950 Ferrari is as stable as the other modern cars. No difference.

The events are pretty good. Simple races, duel, drag race, reach the top speed, endurance (where you need to overtake cars to gain time, when the time runs out, you will slowly stop), etc...

The sound effects? While the cars sound really well, it's also somewhat generic. There is no so much variety, even if the engines are totally different. But in overall, it's satisfying.

So Real Racing 3 sounds and looks good, also the handling is pretty fun, EA made the game frustrating by making it a pay to win game. Everything needs money. You may enjoy the game without spending real money, but the progress will be really slow. And who just want to casually play, it will be painfully slow to progress. Oh, and guess what! Not only the micro-transactions, but there are in-game ads too!
    I would rather buy the game for $10 or $20 than wait and pay for even the smaller things. It can be really frustrating for some people.

I am not an EA hater, but unfortunately, this is the trend by them. EA made and makes good games still, but I find this kind of business disgusting.

This is a great game made by Firemonkeys Studios, released and ruined by EA. Not so surprisingly.

If you are patient, and have time to play the game a lot and the micro-transactions don't discourage you, than download and play the game, because it's fun. If you can't play that much, you're disgusted by micro-transactions, then stay away from this game. Or at least, give it a try and you'll see.
  8. Dec 20, 2014
    I recommend playing the game with an iPad racing wheel.

Things I like:
    - Beautiful graphics
    - A broad range of cars to try

Things I don't like:
    - A lot of cheaters
    - The fake sound of the Ferrari F1 cars

1. Apr 13, 2013
    A great game with gorgeous looks spoiled by excessive in-app demands. [May 2013, p.86]
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    A fantastic tablet racing game, but one that greatly overestimates its own importance and value with slow progress and expensive in-app purchases. [May 2013, p.81]
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    With the beautiful graphics and large amount of content, Real Racing 3 could be one of the best games the smartphone has ever seen. However the microtransactions and long waiting times take away much of the fun.