7.3

1. May 18, 2012
    There are undeniably some flaws, but Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II isn't a game I regret purchasing. Having read a few less-than-flattering reviews beforehand though, it's a game I almost avoided, despite my excitement leading up to the release; I took a risk and downloaded the game anyway despite those poor reviews and I'm glad that I did. Some of the tunes are in fact pretty catchy,There are undeniably some flaws, but Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II isn't a game I regret purchasing. Having read a few less-than-flattering reviews beforehand though, it's a game I almost avoided, despite my excitement leading up to the release; I took a risk and downloaded the game anyway despite those poor reviews and I'm glad that I did. Some of the tunes are in fact pretty catchy, especially that of the Oil Refinery levels, though I have to agree with the general consensus of the boss battle theme being downright awful. Animation is slick and there are a few moments of brilliance sprinkled throughout the adventure. It saddens me that there likely won't be an Episode III due to the mediocre reviews that this game is getting, but I look forward to revisiting Episode II from time to time. MY GRADE: 8/10! Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    I don't understand by any stretch of the imagination how this got lower than episode one. This had MUCH better graphics and level design. The music still sucked but im much more pleased with this rather than episode one. the special stage is also much better. Is it worth $4.99? No but it is something to play on those rainy days.
  3. May 22, 2012
    Honestly people are so unwilling to give Sonic a chance. This game murders Episode 1, and exceeds in every way that Episode 1 did and didn't. Even though Im a fan Im NOT going to lie, of course the game isn't perfect, for example the music is really high pitched and jingly (sounds like a concoction of bells), and on boss fights there is an insanely amount of rings provided which kills allHonestly people are so unwilling to give Sonic a chance. This game murders Episode 1, and exceeds in every way that Episode 1 did and didn't. Even though Im a fan Im NOT going to lie, of course the game isn't perfect, for example the music is really high pitched and jingly (sounds like a concoction of bells), and on boss fights there is an insanely amount of rings provided which kills all the difficulty the boss brings(even though you will appreciate this later when you get all the chaos emeralds hence Super Sonic )!! But the game gives you some nice trade-offs, in return you get superb graphics, great platforming, and lots of speed (not as fast as the Classic Sonic from Generations though)! I love this game because it introduces things I've never seen before in the series. It has some slight downfalls that keep it from being great, but it's a solid sequel this time around that I will play over and over, and in my opinion that's the definition of a good game... ;) Expand
  4. May 18, 2012
    Zero_Dozer 5 Although there was made improvements (Such as graphics and plot), Sonic 4 Episode Two shamefully brings more of the same disappointment brought by his antecessor. Not only with physics this time. About physics, they were fixed in some points, but later it was revealed that there are scripted speed occurring on the game, again getting to ruin your fun. Tails was another brokenZero_Dozer 5 Although there was made improvements (Such as graphics and plot), Sonic 4 Episode Two shamefully brings more of the same disappointment brought by his antecessor. Not only with physics this time. About physics, they were fixed in some points, but later it was revealed that there are scripted speed occurring on the game, again getting to ruin your fun. Tails was another broken promise by SEGA, they didn't bring him back: they brought Tails as a game gimmick, the worst treatment a character on the Sonic series could ever receive. This is summed up with the horrendous music, the same style was brought back from Episode One. So, it turns out that the game has turned to a sad example of DIMPS' abilities and SEGA's incompetence. Expand
  5. Dec 17, 2013
    In my opinion, this is a much more solid game than the first episode. Thankfully, the physics are better and simply running around is more fluid. It's also nice to see the game get the retina display that the first episode did not get.

Overall, the level design of this game is much better than the first episode and also present more of a challenge. Back from Sonic Advance 3 is the concept of tag action. You can use Tails to help you fly to higher locations or do a massive spin dash that is great to use, but will more often than not, lead you to your death. There was one ice level that was based off the the double spin dash though that is particularly frustrating. Whoever thought that level would be great fun was horribly wrong.

Anyway, special stages are made more closely to Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but as things have come a long way graphically, the special stages are wider, which means you don't have to worry about what's around the corner anymore. Woohoo.

Then there's the boss battles. They look great, and they're huge. They play awfully. There was not a single enjoyable boss battle. Often, strategies involve using tag action in obscure ways. Considering how unwieldy the double spin dash is and how vulnerable flying around is, you're going to lose your rings again and again until you die. The timing of things is very minute as well. You often have a very small window of opportunity and the lack of precision with tag action becomes very apparent here.

All in all, much better than the first episode. However, this game is heavily weighed down by imprecise tag action maneuvers combined with awful boss battles.

1. May 28, 2012
    There's no doubt that you'll find a lot of praise for Episode II out there, since it addresses the physics issues with the first episode so well, but games™ can't honestly recommend a game so under-developed on quality controls alone.
  2. May 21, 2012
    The online multiplayer co-op may have been fun, but try as we did for over 20 minutes, we simply couldn't find a game at all.
  3. May 21, 2012
    One of my biggest gripes is that it takes a little too long for Sonic to get up to full sprint from stationary, so you can see that the simplicity of fastfastfastfastfast makes me happy. And without meaning to be rude dear reader, who are you to judge my happiness? I'm off to enjoy some more speed with Sonic and Tails. Interpret that how you will.