Threes! iOS

7.3

1. Apr 2, 2014
    For $2, you would hard pressed to find a game as fun and deep at Threes! Unlocking the new characters by gradually getting better and improving your score is a blast. Mobile games don't usually resonate with me, but Threes! is the perfect combination of addictive gameplay that can be had in a 5 minute coffee break.
  2. Dec 21, 2014
    In my opinion, this game is for everyone.

In my opinion, this game is for everyone.

The cute and silly little cards making weird noises and talking to you might look a bit childish, but this game is hardcore. It's one of those games that you think you understand, and then BAM, someone comes in with a better score than yours and you're just trying to become better and better until you realise that you just spent 4 hours straight playing this game.

It's that ''dammit, one more time'' feeling that will get you hooked, but it's that ''oh my god I got a new high score'' feeling that will keep you coming back for more.

It's cheap fun, and it's just pure awesome.
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    A very cool and original concept perfectly executed in a mobile game, that's rare these days. It has a very nice looking art style, nice music and just generally good sound design. I actually feel bad for the developer, because of all the free clones, this is not getting the attention and credit it deserves. The only minor problem I have with the game is that there seems to be an issueA very cool and original concept perfectly executed in a mobile game, that's rare these days. It has a very nice looking art style, nice music and just generally good sound design. I actually feel bad for the developer, because of all the free clones, this is not getting the attention and credit it deserves. The only minor problem I have with the game is that there seems to be an issue with scaling. I have a 720x1280 (Android) screen and the designs on the tiles have jagged edges. Besides that, it's a very cool game. Expand
  4. Mar 21, 2014
    It's clearly worth the money but I'm just not quite as sold as many of the other critics who have lauded this game are. The music and the sound effects are more than half the fun.
  5. Apr 30, 2014
    Fun, simple and highly addictive. The only think I don't like so much about this casual puzzle game is that what comes next feels pretty random sometimes and when you suddenly get 4 blue symbols it's really annoying and it can really mess up a good run. Would have made more sense to have a certain order here. But still... it's a pretty fun way to waste time ;).
  6. Mar 13, 2014
    If you're a "real gamer" (i.e. pretentious knob) with a System Shock or Demons' Souls username who thinks that some games are more "relevant" than others, and that a puzzle game about pushing tiles around to match numbers doesn't qualify as a "proper" game, Threes may not be for you.

If you break out in hives at the sight of cute cards that smile and make silly voices, Threes may not be for you.

If you love simple, easy-to-learn hard-to-master, tremendously elegant, deceptively strategic puzzle games (e.g. Tetris, Lumines, Puyo Pop, Triple Town), and you have a few bucks to spare, Threes is definitely for you. I'd probably recommend it to anyone looking into game design, too.
  7. Feb 13, 2014
    It's simple concept, yet brilliant realization. It's not for everyone, you have to like logic and numbers; if not stay away from this little gem. It looks like casual, and maybe you can have fun playing casual, but the more you advance and the more you have to think about your next move, cause it could free your board from many many tiles, or it could just be your last move.
    Evey game
    Evey game initially last usually for 1 or 2 minutes, but as soon as you will get a grip your games will last longer, and if you are like me you will want more to beat your higher score.
    Oh by the way, keep in mind that candy crush and angry birds don't have anything in common with this...
  8. Feb 13, 2014
    This game seems simple at first. If you play games with the sound down you should have it on during this game. The music and voiced characters of the game add to the charm. If math and logic are not your thing you will not like it.
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    This game appears simple at first glance, but quickly becomes highly addictive as you aim to beat your high score. Managing the board while planning several moves ahead becomes essential. The graphics and sound are perfect for the game and full of character.
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    It's a great and simple game. It's designed extremely well with great gestural control and feedback. The art is pleasing and subtle. The gameplay is extremely easy to understand and difficult to master providing re-playability. Highly recommended.
  11. Feb 19, 2014
    Beautifully designed puzzle game, with simple yet addicting game play. The potential in the game lies in how it requires players to actively apply strategical thinking, and the process of doing so is definitely challenging and rewarding. One should not underestimate the game's quality through the simple appearance. Great choice, if you do enjoy a good puzzle game.
  12. Sep 7, 2014
    Threes hits the right mix of difficulty and satisfaction for casual gaming. After mastering the game mechanic, I found myself zoning out and playing it on mental autopilot.
  13. Dec 13, 2014
    This is such a simple and engaging game. Combining like numbers requires planning and some luck. Seeing which way to slide the tiles to set up a big score and keep the game going is fun to me. My type of game.
  14. Dec 30, 2014
    When I first saw this game I thought it was yet another 2048 ripoff. When I purchased it I found a game with a simple yet fun premise and some of the best music I've heard in an ios game. This game is worth every cent I paid for it.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Apr 9, 2014
    Threes is the sort of game that exists purely to ruin your life, to make you regret ever buying your damn smart phone. [May 2014, p.83]
  2. Mar 28, 2014
    If you love number puzzles, Threes is a must-play.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    Despite some frustrating chaotic elements, Threes! is a dashing, intelligent, and deceptively simple treat. This is your next essential puzzler.