Mario Kart 64 Nintendo 64

8.7

1. SilentMoose
    Apr 10, 2006
    this game has its ups, but nothing that the snes version didn't have. The "catch up" assistance given to players in the back is ridiculous. One player could hang back in second packing up red shells, lightenings, stars, and various items to take out first place as they are about to pass the finish causing a undeserving last place. Its not a game that tests your racing skills, for this game has its ups, but nothing that the snes version didn't have. The "catch up" assistance given to players in the back is ridiculous. One player could hang back in second packing up red shells, lightenings, stars, and various items to take out first place as they are about to pass the finish causing a undeserving last place. Its not a game that tests your racing skills, for sure, but how long you can hang in back with items to finish off the person in the lead. Expand
  2. DanielP.
    Jun 20, 2006
    Simply the best game ever invented. 4-player races, each race done once, all night.
  3. SeanB.
    Jan 1, 2004
    I had to say 10 but if it went higher i would say 10,000,000,000!!!!!
  4. AceMistry
    Feb 20, 2005
    Learn to powerslide its amazing. Powersliding is where you have red smoke coming from the car and let go and you get a power boost. It brings a whole new dimension to the game!!!!
  5. MichaelW.
    Jun 29, 2003
    It's the best.
  6. YanniT.
    Jan 11, 2004
    This game is good but after you beat it its pointless.
  7. JusticeC.
    Apr 10, 2004
    This game can get on your nerves after you are done.You race in these crowded places,it's so bad.
  8. PYL.
    Apr 15, 2004
    This game has a great learning curve that you can develop at first learning how to do the Mini Turbos whith that all new joystick. Then learning different techniques that help you improve.
  9. RobertA.
    Jul 15, 2004
    Oh mario kart is fun. multiplayer mode had me and my friends playing for hours. great game.
  10. MarkH.
    May 19, 2005
    Best racing game ever made never gets boring.
  11. DejanN.
    Feb 18, 2006
    I used to play it the whole day with my friends.. the game is a great fun... not a lashy graphics or anything but a great fun... like the games of our youth.. they were pure fun and we weren't worrying about how good graphic it has nor a good sound or anything... Perfect Ten.
  12. BryanD.
    Mar 3, 2007
    I like this game but its a little messed up when, It doesn't matter how good you are, some people just get in front of you. You could have beat it 100 times and then out of now where you loose?!
  13. RobertC.
    Feb 22, 2004
    July 27, 1997...my older brother gets one of these new Nintendo 64s. With it were two games that would start more than 4 years worth of gaming nirvana. The first game I put in to play was Mario Kart 64. I had some memory of the original Mario Kart, which I throughly enjoyed. Once I'm able to get on my way to a time-trial, I'm shocked for one by the graphics, and the fact I July 27, 1997...my older brother gets one of these new Nintendo 64s. With it were two games that would start more than 4 years worth of gaming nirvana. The first game I put in to play was Mario Kart 64. I had some memory of the original Mario Kart, which I throughly enjoyed. Once I'm able to get on my way to a time-trial, I'm shocked for one by the graphics, and the fact I couldn't move my kart! Appears I have to use one of these confounded joysticks...and I never looked back. Saddest thing though is when I look at this Mario Kart compared to Duble Dash, I'm thinking: "Holy...those graphics look like crap!". Expand
  14. MatthiasB.
    Feb 13, 2005
    Berlin Mario Kart Driver !!! call 0173/46135...
  15. MarvinM.
    Nov 26, 2006
    Best game ever. Simple, addictive, amazing 4 player battle. First game of its kind. Time trials.... they can be intense competition once you learn the E break.
  16. KramerC.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Purelly awsome, packed with fun, adventure, ocassional obastacles, racing, battle, anthing else? No, thats all there is really, nothing special. A letdwon.
  17. MikeM.
    Apr 27, 2007
    This game isn't perfect. But damnit, what is? I love this game, and if I had to play it to save my life, well damn, I'm pretty sure I'd be safe. The sheer fact that it's a retarded game makes it great. The characters are wacky, so people love them. The realism in this game is in the negatives, and people love it. This game's cons are nothing mroe than hidden pros. This game isn't perfect. But damnit, what is? I love this game, and if I had to play it to save my life, well damn, I'm pretty sure I'd be safe. The sheer fact that it's a retarded game makes it great. The characters are wacky, so people love them. The realism in this game is in the negatives, and people love it. This game's cons are nothing mroe than hidden pros. All all around greatness, and just because SNES might have had a better Mario Kart, doesn't mean this one's horrible. Expand
  18. AxewhipeS.
    Jan 15, 2008
    One of the best games when it came out & still is the N64 had that long lasting appeal that made you want to go back to those games, This game is great fun for all, 1 player has the tracks & time trials & multiplayer allows you to battle & race. An Amazing game, Kramer C obviously doesn't know who, what, or where he is & has amnesia & thought he was playing LAIR.
  19. Jan 19, 2011
    Loved this game it was amazing to play with friends. Easily spent metric ton of hours playing this at my house and over at friends houses. The only downside? only four players could play at a time!
  20. Jun 15, 2012
    Mario Kart 64 was an absolute fantastic title, don't get me wrong! I merely found that by today's standards, it is on nostalgic stilts and it doesn't quite stand up very well when we have such gems as Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. It still has great tracks, good music, and is still a fun time, but now seems to have gotten dusty. Furthermore, many of the tracks (especiallyMario Kart 64 was an absolute fantastic title, don't get me wrong! I merely found that by today's standards, it is on nostalgic stilts and it doesn't quite stand up very well when we have such gems as Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. It still has great tracks, good music, and is still a fun time, but now seems to have gotten dusty. Furthermore, many of the tracks (especially the good ones) are in current Mario Kart titles. Overall, this Mario Kart 64 is a short, fun little title, but is sadly, overrated when compared to its own evolution. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2016
    The best overall racing game EVER made. Period. I can't help but remember the joy I felt everytime I played this game with family and friends, the level of joy was just over 9000.
  22. Apr 27, 2011
    Mario Kart 64 was mi first game ever. When you play this game today it wil be stil fun. The gameplay is fantastic and the soundtrack is awesome. The only bad thing is that nothing is perfect.
  23. Dec 16, 2010
    Sorry, I make a other review because I forgot to rate the other(damn!).You know...Good game, kinda hard.So that's MK64, racing!GOOD!In this case I will give it 8, because i doesn't suck, but compared to other MK games is not VERY VERY AMAZING!Note:Here MK is Mario Kart, not Mortal Kombat!LOL
  24. Apr 29, 2011
    A classic kart racing game that's essential to anyone's N64, if you still play it. Pros: It's shrouded in charm and originality; a small, but satisfying variety of unforgettable characters and weapons; multi-player mode is an endless amount of fun. Cons: The single-player mode is tiresome after awhile; it's not the best looking Mario game on the N64.
  25. Jul 26, 2011
    Out of all the Mario Kart games , in top of my list comes Mario Kart 64 definitely , the major improvement comes in the gameplay and graphics. Goofy, fun addicting and bizarre.
  26. Jun 7, 2011
    Wow this game is AMAZING! I don't have it on the original N64 console,but who needs it! I got the Virtual Console service by my side!Anyway this is the only racing game I play, no other. And it has my favorite plummer...MARIO! Soooo, in conclusion i love this game and it's a masterpiece to me.
  27. Mar 4, 2013
    In Single player i did not like that now matter how fast or how slow you are, there is still someone near yourself. To it the SP gets boring pretty fast. The MP is fun but there are better fun racing games on the N64
  28. Jan 16, 2012
    This game is **** awesome. **** **** I am in 2012 now and still play this game a lot! **** awesome game, all of my friends love to play it in multi-player when they come over my house for a all night game session!
  29. Nov 7, 2011
    Mario Kart 64 was an amazing racing game for its time. It still has 8 playable characters like the SNES mario kart, but the graphics and gameplay are improved.
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    Game: Mario Kart 64
    Genre: Racing
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo DS (NDS) Total Score: 94/100 Value Score: 9.4/10 • Story: */10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Great gameplay mechanics compared to Super Mario Kart +A decent roster of
    Game: Mario Kart 64
    Genre: Racing
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo DS (NDS)
    Total Score: 94/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Great gameplay mechanics compared to Super Mario Kart
    +A decent roster of characters
    +Great new additions to the item arsenal
    +Stages are well made and a lot longer
    +Stages have more depth to them with multiple pathways
    +Multiplayer modes enhanced

Cons
    -AI racers are overpowered with the thanks to instant recovery time
    -AI can be really aggressive at times more than they should be
    -Character modes look like they were paper cut out models (highly pixilated too)

#2 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1997
#3 Most Shared N64 Game of 1997

1. It's the most beautiful thing that I've ever seen! An incredible game for racing and Mario fans that is the best of both catagories (that's right, better than Mario 64)!
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    And on the eighth day, God created Mario Kart. He saw it, and it was good. [Jan 2004, p.189]
  3. Although it doesn't break any new grounds in originality (like Mario 64), Mario Kart 64 is a great addition to the N64 line-up. The solid graphics, good sound, and addictive gameplay--coupled with features like being able to race yourself (from a former race) in a special ghost mode--make you want to play it forever.