Pokemon Snap Nintendo 64

7.5

1. DomS.
    Aug 7, 2003
    As addictive as crack. Although, I don't know what crack is like...Don't judge me!
  2. RobertC.
    Mar 12, 2004
    You know...for such a weird and a seemingly boring premise...this is actually a very fun experience. I just can't say how, but this game ruled a good amount of hours in the summer I got it.
  3. Starfire
    Oct 23, 2007
    A fantastic idea, to see the Pokemon interacting with one another and take classy photos of them. I'd have liked to see more levels and more varied interactions- but still it is a fascinating and unique idea, the closest to a safari I've seen in a game yet.
  4. HankH
    Oct 12, 2009
    This is a fun and innovative game, it's a neat concept w/ solid graphics. However it can be beaten in its entirety in about 3 hours. Still while it lasts it is quite fun.
  5. NickB.
    May 20, 2006
    Kinda fun at first, but it gets boring quick. And the secret level sucked, with only one (difficult) pokemon to snap in the entire level. And also, couldn't they have added in more features? For example, you earn money by taking good pictures, which you could then spend to upgrade your vehicle, buy extra bait, or buy a telephoto lens for your camera. It's good at its roots, but Kinda fun at first, but it gets boring quick. And the secret level sucked, with only one (difficult) pokemon to snap in the entire level. And also, couldn't they have added in more features? For example, you earn money by taking good pictures, which you could then spend to upgrade your vehicle, buy extra bait, or buy a telephoto lens for your camera. It's good at its roots, but Nintendo could have put a lot more effort into it. Expand
  6. NickD.
    Nov 26, 2003
    If I could give it a negative number I would. It is the dumbest idea for a game ever. IT IS LAUGHABLE HOW DUMB THIS GAME IS.
  7. RobertA.
    Feb 21, 2004
    Not so dumb. very original but would be better with...hmm...people!!
  8. Elisha
    Jun 14, 2004
    Its pokemon must i say anymore?
  9. Mar 2, 2011
    People who but this game expecting an action packed adventure are setting themselves up to disappointed, and to be blunt they are just plain stupid. The actual game for what it is, is quite enjoyable for the first couple of hours. After that, however, the game becomes dull and repetitive. It simply isn't entertaining enough to recommend.
  10. DonaldB.
    Nov 25, 2007
    Generally, for a pokemon game that isn't an RPG, this is pretty good.
  11. A.F.
    Jan 25, 2008
    As it turns out, taking pictures of pokemon is a much more compelling concept than many would imagine. This isn't REALLY a pokemon game, but it's still addicting and fun. Short but sweet.
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    I played this on the Virtual console on Wii and it is the second Pokémon spin-off I played, after Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs. This is by FAR the more superior of the two. There is just something about taking pictures of Gen 1 Pokémon that is just do fun. There is also alot of replay value, trying to get the best picture of Magikarp, Charizard or a Mew! It also shows me what games wereI played this on the Virtual console on Wii and it is the second Pokémon spin-off I played, after Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs. This is by FAR the more superior of the two. There is just something about taking pictures of Gen 1 Pokémon that is just do fun. There is also alot of replay value, trying to get the best picture of Magikarp, Charizard or a Mew! It also shows me what games were like back in the N64 days, which is really cool! Expand
  13. Apr 29, 2011
    Is it groundbreaking? Hell no! But is it addictive? Hell yes! Pokemon Snap elevates a boring presentation into a challenging, but fun experience for Poke-fans of all ages.
  14. Aug 4, 2011
    It's a good game to rent for an evening. Sure, the pitch seems less then exciting, take a bunch of pictures of poke'mon. But it's really a little more complex then that, since you're ALSO interacting with these poke'mon, to get better pictures, who do all sorts of weird or humorous things. It might not be exciting, but it is amusing.
  15. May 18, 2011
    The simplicity of Pokemon Snap is elevated by its excellent presentation and charm. Pros: Lots of Pokemon to "snap"; surprisingly addictive; the additional feature that let you print snapshots from the game was ingenious. Cons: Too short -- more Pokemon, rewards, and unlockable content would've been nice; no multiplayer mode; lacks a lot of depth and replay value.
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    While it is fun to take picture of Pokemon over and over, there are many limits in this game. There are not a lot of different kinds of Pokemon available to take pictures of and there are few courses. It can be very addicting and there are a lot of unlockable items available to change the usual patterns of the courses.
  17. Mar 21, 2012
    It is only snapping pictures of pokemon, but there is some stuff added to it, like doing the right functions to make a pokemon evolve or get a better shot, or find a hidden pokemon, and unlock new areas, it can be frustrating in that you got to be nearly perfect when you do something, like hitting a pokemon, to hit a switch, to open up a new level, but a part like that is near the end ofIt is only snapping pictures of pokemon, but there is some stuff added to it, like doing the right functions to make a pokemon evolve or get a better shot, or find a hidden pokemon, and unlock new areas, it can be frustrating in that you got to be nearly perfect when you do something, like hitting a pokemon, to hit a switch, to open up a new level, but a part like that is near the end of the level, there is a speed up option thankfully, when you want to get to an area, the game play is very linear, you are on a predetermined course.

Adding a lot of secrets and ways to activate some interesting tricks, is what give this game a good replay value, yes the concept is pretty strange but it is not as bad as you would think, if you can find this for a decent price (5-10 USD) i'd recommend it.
  18. Jun 24, 2012
    This game is a very basic on rails shooter. However it is a pretty fun and catchy game. Altogether there are 7 levels and 50+ pokemon to take shots of. Throughout the game you unlock a few new items the apple, master ball, poke flute, and accelerator engine which can be used to go back and unlock new pokemon throughout the past levels. The only thing that really disappointed me about thisThis game is a very basic on rails shooter. However it is a pretty fun and catchy game. Altogether there are 7 levels and 50+ pokemon to take shots of. Throughout the game you unlock a few new items the apple, master ball, poke flute, and accelerator engine which can be used to go back and unlock new pokemon throughout the past levels. The only thing that really disappointed me about this game was the final area after having to run back through the previous lvls collecting symbols i was expecting an awesome lvl with multiple pokemon and interesting scenery like all the lvls that had come before it. Instead i was treated to a so-so boss battle against a single pokemon while i drifted through one of the most bland environments in the game. Overall I would still say this is still one of the better N64 and is definitely worth a play through. Expand
  19. Dec 9, 2011
    Easily one of the most unique Pokemon games out there, I did enjoy quite a bit. The only bad thing about it is that it lacks in overall levels and the gameplay isnt interesting. Besides that, It was suprisingly fun to take pictures of pokemon.
  20. May 22, 2012
    This games is unique in its genre. Was very funny and addictive. Problem is, tough, the short campaign. You can only repeat the levels trying to make all te secret photos, but that's everything. This game could be completed in a few hours, which is bad. That's why it deserves a 7.
  21. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pokemon Snap is has a pretty nice idea: You drive along a track, where you can find Pokemon and make a photo of them for you album for example.

+good gameplay
    +a lot of pokemon
    +if you are tricky you can discover new Pokemon
    -SHORT story and tracks
    -In my opinion the tracks are too linear

In fact a good game but I think the developers could make more tracks and the world could become more ''open-world'' like mario 64.
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    Fun game for kids. Not so fun for anyone else unless you played it as a kid.
    They should definitely make a remake for WiiU.
    I guess the graphipcs were alrite?
  23. Jun 2, 2014
    Though I'm not much of a Pokemon fan, this game was pretty fun as a child. It was solid entertainment that was both creative and amusing, especially seeing the reactions of the Pokemon as you threw food at them.
  24. Aug 28, 2013
    Original concept, but the gameplay is very lacking overall. Some people find it to be a refreshing change of pace and it could be worth trying out. However, overall the game is rather mediocre.
  25. Aug 30, 2013
    Initially engaging and entertaining, as a video-game should be Pokémon Snap is a junior course in fine-art photography for the Pokémon audience. Pokémon Snap still lacks the completion required to elevate it to above repetitive. As you progress, you're required to re-complete the same half a dozen courses. The fun eventually wares off, and you're left with a mere dozen hours of fun. TheInitially engaging and entertaining, as a video-game should be Pokémon Snap is a junior course in fine-art photography for the Pokémon audience. Pokémon Snap still lacks the completion required to elevate it to above repetitive. As you progress, you're required to re-complete the same half a dozen courses. The fun eventually wares off, and you're left with a mere dozen hours of fun. The only feature left is scrapbooking, which is trivial unless to utilize the now defunct printing station novelty. Perhaps best played in intervals over an extended period, Pokémon Snap could be considered a classic if it weren't so restrictive. Expand
  26. May 12, 2017
    "Pokémon Snap" was one of my bigger childhood games. The idea of playing a game revolving around taking pictures of Pokémon was just so endearing to me as a child and I absolutely loved the game at every chance I got to play it. And as I played through the game again, I found that those childhood memories are still there...even if the game hasn't aged so gracefully.
    "Pokémon Snap" is
    "Pokémon Snap" is charming right from the jump. Riding along in the ZERO-ONE taking pictures of Pikachu on a surfboard and Snorlax scratching his stomach just feels fun for some reason. On top of that, the game is very relaxing and it can be pretty addicting, and there's even some challenge as you move along to later levels. It's a game that keeps you on your toes while still being pretty fun.
    That said, the game has its share of drawbacks: the controls are often clunky, the game is extremely short, the visuals haven't aged wonderfully, and the limited selection of Pokémon to take pictures of is a big disappointment.
    I wanted to go back to "Pokémon Snap" for the first time in ages and say "wow, this game is amazing!" Unfortunately, the game itself is just okay. A decent time-waster that unfortunately had far too much untapped potential. However, even if the game isn't great, I'd love to see where Nintendo goes with a potential remake/sequel, because like I said, there's a lot of untapped potential here that could work on another system. So, while "Pokémon Snap" is merely an "okay" adventure, I would love to see a sequel that could take things up a notch. Until then, "Pokémon Snap" is decent for the $10 it costs on the Virtual Console, but don't set your expectations too high.
    Final rating: 5 out of 10 "Hmm..."
  27. Mar 3, 2015
    An risky move by Gamefreak to branch the Pokemon series off into different genre that paid off. The original concept of Pokemon Snap actually was not going to include Pokemon, but instead be a normal photo taking game. I can't imagine how this game would've been if it would've just been "Snap". The game in general handles very well and smoothly and is very appealing. Being able to takeAn risky move by Gamefreak to branch the Pokemon series off into different genre that paid off. The original concept of Pokemon Snap actually was not going to include Pokemon, but instead be a normal photo taking game. I can't imagine how this game would've been if it would've just been "Snap". The game in general handles very well and smoothly and is very appealing. Being able to take pictures of Pokemon rather than battling them, in my opinion, makes the Pokemon world seem more realistic, making us realize that Pokemon aren't only for objects of battling each other.

The biggest complaint that everyone noticed though is the amount of Pokemon in the game. With there being 150 Pokemon at the time, only 63 of them were included in the game, which is disappointing. How can we "catch 'em all" on camera when less than half of them are in the game? And although the courses in the game are very diverse in different, there are only 7 courses. The low number of courses along with the low number of Pokemon meant the game was a short play, and has low replay value.

Overall, if you still haven't played Pokemon Snap and are looking for cheap games to add to your N64 collection, this game is an easy grab and a must have! Lots of time and memories were put into my game and every time I play it brings them back as well as ever.
  28. Apr 1, 2016
    Short but repayable single player. Great graphics and frame rate. Good music. Camera aiming could use work but is still usable and maybe even groundbreaking for the on rails shooter. Surprisingly the voice acting (for Prof.Oak and a few SFX for Todd) Is good.
  29. Jul 28, 2016
    The game is great but the gameplay is very repetitive and the story is bland. Pokemon Snap is a very great game but still very flawed but still play it it is very fun.
  30. Feb 1, 2017
    Pros:
    - Short game, good for brief bursts of gameplay
    - Loaded with secrets
    - Core gameplay loop is actually rather fun
    - Move character models are charming and expressive

Cons:
    - Not even half the Gen 1 Pokemon
    - Final stage is kind of lame
    - Judging of pictures is inconsistent at best

True Score: 7.5
  31. Apr 5, 2017
    I love the pokemon games, when I mean by that is the fighting or Rpg`s. I personally did not get into the game as everyone else did, it`s just so boring and pictures are the only thing you can do.
  32. Mar 27, 2017
    Short but sweet. You can complete this game in a day easily. But it's a blast for the whole time! I'll never understand why Junichi Masuda is so against making a sequel to this game.

#4 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1999
#2 Most Shared N64 Game of 1999

1. It's not for everyone, but for the patient type (or a raving Pokémon freak) this game could be a refreshing change of pace, and give you a few solid hours of fun.
  2. If your a Pokémaniac then this game is definitely for you. If you aren't that big on the whole Pokémon craze, then this is at least worth a rental. Very original and very fun to play.
  3. Without a doubt, Pokémon Snap is a game of the highest quality and brings a new genre to the N64 … but if you hate the little creatures, we’d recommend that you give it a miss.