9.2

1. Mar 9, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best legend of zelda. for me even better than ocarina of time.

Perfect history, and every mask leave you to a different wolrd, a different link but the same,
    ...hours and hours of perfection.

2. Apr 13, 2017
    Majora's Mask....The greatest game ive ever played personally.

Backstory/Story. After the success of Ocarina of Time, Eiji Aonuma, was allowed to create a game within a year before working on the next Zelda game which would be WInd Waker. Under this time constraint, he created The Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask. The game follows events of Young Link after the end of Ocarina Of Time.
    Majora's Mask....The greatest game ive ever played personally.

Backstory/Story.
    After the success of Ocarina of Time, Eiji Aonuma, was allowed to create a game within a year before working on the next Zelda game which would be WInd Waker. Under this time constraint, he created The Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask. The game follows events of Young Link after the end of Ocarina Of Time. After successfully saving the world, Navi parted ways with Link for unknown reasons. This sets up the reason for his departure from Hyrule some months after warning Zelda about Ganondorf. Searching for his friend, Link finds himself in the lost woods where he gets robbed by skull kid. He follows skull kid to a point where he can confront him but skull kid turns him into a deku scrub. Leaving his follower Tatl, she joins you after apologizing. Continuing to follow skull kid, Link meets the Happy Mask Salesman who tells him the mask skull kid has on is one that contains great evil and he needs link to take back the mask. At some later point you confront skull kid once again but its not looking so good as he is about to drop the moon on the world. Skull Kids follower Tael, mentions that there are 4 people across the map and asks Link to bring them here as skull kid hits him. Link hits skull kid and causes him to drop the ocarina. Using the ocarina, he goes back into time 3 days before. Notcing everything back to the same they go back to Happy Mask Salesman where he teaches the song of healing. Link is then turned back to normal where he sets out on his journey to visit the 4 areas Tael mentioned and prevent the moon from crashing.

Gameplay.
    In terms of fighting and items, its pretty much ocarina of time.
    There is a 3 day cycle where if all 3 days end, the game ends as you failed to save it. The thing is, you arent supposed to do everything in one 3 day cycle. Each area should take about 2 days to complete if you are just doing the important story part. You just reset the days after every dungeon by playing the song of time. Everything can pretty much be done at your own pace as long as you dont fail to reset the clock. What i mean by this is you can spend 3 days doing side quest, finding bottles, finding mask, or beating a dungeon.

Abilities.
    Link gets a ton of equipment and even gets more than 2 swords unlike Ocarina of time.
    The juicy part is the mask. There is 4 main mask (one gotten at the end) and 20 other mask. The 4 main mask give link new fighting styles, abilities, and helps progress in story. The other masks all have there purposes too for side quest.

Music:
    The soundtrack for this game is pretty awesome. Even borrows some music from ocarina of time.

Characters.
    The characters in majoras mask are familiar faces from ocarina of time with a twist. They usually have some lore to go behind them to differentiate them from their parallel ocarina counterpart. They also have their own original characters such as Kafei which also has good lore. The characters are pretty enjoyable.

Summary:
    Majora's Mask is truly a masterpiece. From its tone that doesnt try to hard to be dark to its variety of play styles, this game takes what Ocarina Of Time did and does it better while applying its own flare to it. 10/10.
  3. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In many ways this game is a definite improvement upon Ocarina of Time, because, though it is much shorter, there is a much greater reason to actually go around and explore, while in Ocarina of Time it was more like a luxury. The story is much darker and can even be disturbing. The maniacal, and somewhat sadistic villain in this one leaves your character in a world doomed to be destroyed by a grotesque moon, and throughout the game you have to find a way to prevent that moon from dropping - which you have three days to do. Time travel is, like in Ocarina of Time, heavily incorporated and from the beginning you know you can't accomplish what you can in 3 days, so you rely on your Ocarina in this more than you do in the previous game. Another improvement is that the new fairy, Tatl, is far less annoying and has more personality than Navi ever had. The game, like OOT, has its own lore, and though it can be related to OOT, it is also extremely different because it takes place in another universe or dimension (or whatever you want to call it). You can discover more about the world though the side-quests and exploration - by talking to others. In this game, many of the characters, unlike in OOT, will say different things to you after you've talked to them multiple times. The only way to really hear what they say again is to go back in time and start the 3 day cycle again, otherwise, unless it's really important info, they won't repeat it. You can affect just everyone's future in this, and that's probably one of the most well-thought out parts of this game. During the Kafei Quest, you can end up with so many outcomes, it's ridiculous - most of which are very sad, and only one is happy, but still is followed by inevitable sadness. Also this game is very surreal through its visuals and its levels, and also the fact that you can loop things over and over again adds to this effect. The levels are also constructed amazingly, and, as a player, it is hard to lose interest, and the puzzles are also improved upon from OOT. This game is perfect in its own way, and therefore is definitely worth at least trying. Expand
  4. EdwardH.
    Nov 5, 2001
    This game is the best Nintendo 64 game I have ever played!
  5. JesseR
    Jan 18, 2010
    After Ocarina of Time was released, no one thought that any Zelda title could possibly live up to it. Its direct sequel Majora
  6. KBD
    Jan 10, 2006
    a perfect balance of everything that makes a game great - though not everyone will appreciate it.
  7. Mar 11, 2011
    When I beat the first game, I had no idea that there was a sequel! I only found it out when my friend on the bus ride to school told me about Majora's Mask. I said stuff like, "WHAT? There's a sequel?! WHAT? The masks can actually change your form?! WHAT? There's only four temple's and not ten?! That's AWESOME!!! Boy, was my friend right. Being a kid, I liked the fact that there was onlyWhen I beat the first game, I had no idea that there was a sequel! I only found it out when my friend on the bus ride to school told me about Majora's Mask. I said stuff like, "WHAT? There's a sequel?! WHAT? The masks can actually change your form?! WHAT? There's only four temple's and not ten?! That's AWESOME!!! Boy, was my friend right. Being a kid, I liked the fact that there was only four and not ten dungeons because I thought that I could beat it easily. I was wrong. There may be only four of them but they were hard! I could get through them, but they were hard! But when I discovered the song of soaring, I was fine for a while. It was nice of the developers to offer me a challenge. Because back then, YouTube didn't exist so I couldn't look at a walk-through and cheat the right way. I had to figure out everything on my own, and all of this on the shoulders of a nine-year old was a little sadistic. But I eventually did get through the entire game 100%! This game, I'm glad to say is a great sequel to a great game series. I only have one complaint, looking back now, I don't like how it was so short! Beat this guy, beat this guy, beat this guy, beat this guy, and now to the final boss. Just too short! But other than that, it's one of my favorite games of my childhood. When I beat Majora's Wrath, I may have had nightmares for a week, but I didn't care, I thought it was one of the greatest accomplishments of my childhood. I highly recommend you at least try it. Expand
  8. May 9, 2011
    I love Majora's Mask...I Love how fantastic a game it was...The music, the scenery...Every single character had a purpose, everyone had a personality.

You came to know those 3 days back to front, look, there's Kafei come to deliver that letter to Anju...She'll never understand. A world of depressed people, and your goal is to give them joy....Some of the saddest and happiest moments of

A world of depressed people, and your goal is to give them joy....Some of the saddest and happiest moments of videogaming are in this game.

It's so....dark, amazingly so for a Nintendo game of 2000.... So many characters, some literally suicidally desperate and lonely. The simplest things, making their day, making their life...I know it's a game....but They felt like real people, I pitied them.

And it hides away, behind the shadows of Ocarina of time, Wind Waker and Twilight princess.

The Easter eggs, secrets, puzzles, mysteries, lore, character depth....It's like a dozen books crammed into a game....Yet...Nothing is forced or rushed or ignored, the attention to detail....no corners were cut.

I listen to the music every now and then, The Song of healing....It serves it's role so perfectly....

If you fail...It's not game over, there's no simply sad melody and a "Do you want to continue?" You die. Everyone dies. Everything is destroyed...and you get to watch....you watch as the game shows you why you must not fail again, why you must rewind time and start over.

But it wasn't all dark....There were moments that made me smile, that make me happy to this day. There were stupidly amusing parts, Shoving the dignified princess into a bottle, then dumping her on her father's lap and demanding a reward....

When people tell me games aren't getting worse, and that I'm too nostalgic....sometimes I believe them....Then I play Majora's Mask again......Maybe games aren't getting worse, but I don't think they will ever be that good ever again....

I'm half asleep, but I just wanted to help make the worlds most underrated game in history slightly more widely acknowledged. I consider it to be the greatest game ever made...

Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure. These feelings have vanished from our hearts.~ Igos du Ikana

Or, if that quote's too sissy and stupid for you;

"I would trade all of the PS2 launch titles for one copy of Majora's mask. Period. 100/100" ~ Nintendojo
  9. Oct 15, 2011
    naturally, this being the best zelda game ( but its hit n miss, 3 day cycle...) it gets a 9, as it has the same flaws as oot, but slightly better story, and generally more likeable, and gets a 92%... almost flawless
  10. Aug 1, 2012
    It's neigh impossible to describe my feelings toward this game and I have almost no nostalgia for it. Almost everything is absolutely perfect. A direct improvement of everything in ocarina of time excluding length. The best game of all time. Period.
  11. Jul 31, 2014
    I have played all of the Zelda games, even the newer ones and I have to say that this one is my absolute favorite. Not only is it an excellent sequel to an already excellent game, it's a darker note in the series that sort of gives it a different edge than a normal Zelda game. Not only is the story good but the temples are well thought out although they are few. There are many optionalI have played all of the Zelda games, even the newer ones and I have to say that this one is my absolute favorite. Not only is it an excellent sequel to an already excellent game, it's a darker note in the series that sort of gives it a different edge than a normal Zelda game. Not only is the story good but the temples are well thought out although they are few. There are many optional side quests to allow you to get all the masks and you are most certainly rewarded for all of your hard work at the end and likewise all of the puzzles and mini games and side quests are fun and well worth the time. The game is challenging as all good Zelda games should be but this one has challenges that not only increase difficulty but make the game feel a bit more dark compared to OoT. The graphics and music (as always) and the game has great replay value. Be careful trying to use the guide, I know there are some mistakes in it (I've heard horror stories particularly with the water temple) so I would personally avoid it or at least be careful with your songs. Overall, as I mentioned, this is my favorite Zelda game in the series and I can't say enough good things about it...the only thing that can really be critiqued is the 3 day time reset gets a bit annoying but it IS what allows you to do ALL of the quests. Expand
  12. RossP.
    Nov 15, 2007
    My personal favorite game in the series. At first, I completely abandoned the game because I could not deal with the whole time reset/save thing. After completing OOT, I came back to this game to give it another chance. As I rediscovered the new ways to explore and interact with the land. I was completely enamored. You can't say you have beat the game without completing everything My personal favorite game in the series. At first, I completely abandoned the game because I could not deal with the whole time reset/save thing. After completing OOT, I came back to this game to give it another chance. As I rediscovered the new ways to explore and interact with the land. I was completely enamored. You can't say you have beat the game without completing everything 100%. And that may take a while, because it has the MOST side quests/collectibles out of any Zelda game. And the amazing thing is that the little things never get worn out, tired, or boring. Absolutely NOT a OOT rehash. This is by far the most original Zelda title. It could be considered a whole other series. If you have doubted this game before, try it. I dare you. Expand
  13. ColbyS
    Mar 1, 2009
    How can you not love Majora's Mask. It retains all of the great elements of OoT and made a wildly original and new game. This is truly a great game for hardcore Zelda fans in its more difficult dungeons, three day time limit, and extensive side quests. In my opinion that is how it succeeds OoT, in difficulty and originality.
  14. SamJ.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Words cannot due this game justice. It's simply amazing how Nintendo could take one side question from Ocarina of Time and turn it into a fully fledged game.
  15. Apr 5, 2011
    Often when people play Majora's Mask they can't help but compare it to the nostalgic, Enticing and memorable Ocarina of time it was inevitable to happen just as the past games that tried to up one on the game before them. The hype was high expectations when released as people had high hopes for this game being based off the well know Ocarina of time. The main result for this I believe isOften when people play Majora's Mask they can't help but compare it to the nostalgic, Enticing and memorable Ocarina of time it was inevitable to happen just as the past games that tried to up one on the game before them. The hype was high expectations when released as people had high hopes for this game being based off the well know Ocarina of time. The main result for this I believe is the fact that the game play is so different compared to previous Zelda games. It was new and scary because people didn't understand just how it worked and I admit some puzzles can be rather difficult but not impossible. The game presents a more dark story line compared to the typical Save the princess and the world I find it was rather refreshing not to mention the mask concept changing things up giving you various abilities. However I believe when I say this genuinely with passion for the Zelda series that some games had it's ups and downs some where appealing than others but I think people where to quick to judge this game. Those whom have only played Ocarina of time and tried Majora's mask have yet to try the many other classic games in the series. I admit some Zelda games I wouldn't think of playing a second time such as the Zelda game that allowed you to play as Princess Zelda... but even so it doesn't make it horrid just because it wasn't as smooth as the other games before and after it's time. Although if the story line did not appeal to ones interest I understand we all have various tastes but if one where to merely judge upon its game play after only trying the game for maybe an hour more or less then perhaps they shouldn't be ones to judge if they've never beaten the game to begin with. Also if people judging the graphics.. and random aspects of the game.. For it's time the graphics where good this is an old game you can't compare games like this to games more up to date like the new FPS or Final Fantasy game or whatever you wish to compare it to. As for the random aspects that make people feel un easy a lot of games have these sort of qualities such as psychonauts this game was under appreciated but the story line and game play was wonderful but because it was so different and random compared to most games people where turned off from it. I think if people just gave Majora Mask a chance and played through the game fully then maybe just maybe they'd like it. Expand
  16. Jun 23, 2012
    While Ocarina of time was regarded as revolutionary for molding what would become the action rpg adventure game, Majora´s Mask feels more as an independant story filled with a more mature, depressing and creepy world. It is true that you have to rush against time... but there are plenty of ways around for the players who have the brains to work the game´s mechanics. One has toWhile Ocarina of time was regarded as revolutionary for molding what would become the action rpg adventure game, Majora´s Mask feels more as an independant story filled with a more mature, depressing and creepy world. It is true that you have to rush against time... but there are plenty of ways around for the players who have the brains to work the game´s mechanics. One has to praise Nintendo to give each character in Termina their own story, because for three days, they are fully alive. Expand
  17. Joostdeman
    Feb 14, 2003
    This game really ruuuuuuuuuuuulez. it is really great!!!!!!!!
    Mar 1, 2003
    It's not as bad as some people think it is. I really couldn't get past some of the parts w/out the help of a walkthrough. It really was hard. I think that most of it is allright some parts are kinda boring, but then i started to like it a bit after i got most of the stuff. It's not too bad but it's not all that great. I'm an Ocarina of Time fan, that game was the bomb.
  19. TimeS.
    Apr 8, 2006
    Majora's Mask was and is my favorite game of all time. To me it took nearly everything about OoT, made it better and more complex, and added a ton of ideas that I wonder if they will ever be used in any game ever again. That is all.
  20. DanielA.
    Jun 30, 2006
    This game is every bit as exciting, interesting, fun and brilliant as Ocarina of Time, which, in my opinion, is beyond any doubt the greatest video game ever made.
  21. ThisGameRules
    Aug 3, 2006
    Hard, but amazing.
  22. DonaldB.
    Nov 25, 2007
    A fantastic work of art, so similar to its predecessor, yet so different. Sure, it may not receive the best marks, but this game is worth playing.
  23. HarrisonS.
    Oct 18, 2007
    OMG... the 3 day cycle was incredible, the story and characters more involving, the amazing side quests, the shapeshifting.... so amazing. i'll never forget this game.
  24. LinknCork
    Jun 20, 2007
    Perhaps the greatest game ever made. Even when you think your done with it you aren't. Has anybody ever tried to accomplish everything in one cycle? I know there is a hidden cutscene at the end of this game....hands down the best. Pure genius.
  25. Jole
    Mar 20, 2005
    I seriously cannot see how people can decide between MM and OOT.
  26. Casper
    May 29, 2006
    what can i say it was absolutely flawless
  27. JamesF.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Ha! This game is one of the best games ever released... ever. It even, IMHO, surpasses Ocarina of Time. It doesn't involve Ganon, for once (who, I had to admit got a bit boring), and is a fine game indeed. Those who say that a mask growing unskinned muscles and doing a russian dance across the rainbow arena is bad, think logically. IT'S FUNNY! Such an amazing game, so Ha! This game is one of the best games ever released... ever. It even, IMHO, surpasses Ocarina of Time. It doesn't involve Ganon, for once (who, I had to admit got a bit boring), and is a fine game indeed. Those who say that a mask growing unskinned muscles and doing a russian dance across the rainbow arena is bad, think logically. IT'S FUNNY! Such an amazing game, so underrated. Better than Majora's Mask. period. Expand
  28. Kelly
    Feb 23, 2007
    Concluding that everyone describes this game as a cheap imitation of Ocarina need to be slapped. The game seems to be the only Zelda game which steps away from the cliche Gannon-Zelda ordeal. Not only does it NOT involve those characters, but it brings to life creatures that normally would be considered side-jobs. The temples were unique. The temples felt nothing like the previous Ocarina Concluding that everyone describes this game as a cheap imitation of Ocarina need to be slapped. The game seems to be the only Zelda game which steps away from the cliche Gannon-Zelda ordeal. Not only does it NOT involve those characters, but it brings to life creatures that normally would be considered side-jobs. The temples were unique. The temples felt nothing like the previous Ocarina temples. The bosses were different in appearance and fight. The temples, though there only being four, were extreme time consumers. I could find myself on the verge on the three-day limit still trying to complete Stone Tower. Want to step away from the original plot and experience Zelda in a new, more haunting form? Check out Majora's mask, it will leave you actually feeling sympathy and remorse for the sobbing, pitiful characters as they mourn over their pending doom. Expand
  29. AdamF.
    Mar 26, 2007
    What is amazing about this sad, melancholy storyline is how much you really care about the world and the fate of the characters in it. Oh, the rest of the game is the best Zelda ever offered; dungeons, overworld, items, everything.
  30. MjRAMjRa
    Apr 19, 2010
    Awesome! I love this game more than Orcarina. Not only do you get A LOT of masks to play around with, but you also get to control time with your orcarina. Which by the way needs to make a comeback! Buy it on the Virtual Concole for the Wii. RECOMMENDED
  31. AliciaH.
    Dec 28, 2002
    The graphics were really awesome even though the story line wasnt that good eveything else was!
  32. DougryL.
    Apr 28, 2002
    I would add up all of the hours I spent playing this game. And then I would divide that figure by the number of letters in the name "Link." With the dividend I would order a feast the likes of which no one could remember and I would invite my friends to indulge in fatness.
  33. BradyU.
    Nov 7, 2004
    This Game Rocks Ya, it is a VERY distorted OOT But still my fav game. Any one notice the Path to the southern swamp is the deku tree.
  34. Prognosticator
    Sep 23, 2005
    This is one of those games that you actually have to play to like, but once you do, it's one of the best games you've ever played. I used to think that this game sucked, but once I actually got into it and tried to play it, I loved it. It can't be compared to OoT, because they're essentially two completely different genres, but if you put aside all past prejudice of This is one of those games that you actually have to play to like, but once you do, it's one of the best games you've ever played. I used to think that this game sucked, but once I actually got into it and tried to play it, I loved it. It can't be compared to OoT, because they're essentially two completely different genres, but if you put aside all past prejudice of how terrible this game "will be" and actually *try* to play it, it won't be "too complicated," and will surely be one of your favorites. Expand
  35. AaronG
    Nov 25, 2009
    Majora's Mask is where Zelda stops being simply a game and starts being true art. A magnum opus of the best kind. If you're looking for a Zelda game to get for the Virtual Console, this is the one you're looking for.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    Great game!!! Easily the best zelda game ever. Great story, mechanics, characters, graphics, sound, gameplay, music, price, system, coding and boss battles.
  37. Jun 10, 2012
    You really feel for the characters, and you will do anything you can to save them from the moon that will inevitably (or so they think) crash into the earth and destroy everything that they know and love. Nintendo took a huge gamble with the 3-day-system, a gamble that has without a doubt paid off, it's one of the most innovative things I've seen in a game in well, ever.
  38. May 18, 2012
    Not everyones cup of tea. But my god this game is just so magical and dark and special, I feel like I'm 10 years old again when I play this.

39. Sep 24, 2015
    This game lost some story but it's a nice game in the zelda storyline after ocarina of time. But there is a lot of dungeons and things to do like ocarina of time.
  40. Apr 11, 2016
    Easily not comparable to Ocarina of Time, but Majora's Mask will live up to live its own glory of owning a 10 just like Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask will be at least the second best Zelda game in my opinion held by Ocarina of Time (which earned the same score).
  41. JackP.
    Jun 13, 2005
    WAY better than OOT this one was surreal, how can you compete with that.
  42. Legendarylugi
    Oct 6, 2006
    "Poor story line and redone Ocarina dungeons make Majora's Mask nothing but a cheap Ocarina of Time remake!" What are you talking about? The dungeons completely defied the groundwork OoT set up for it. The Water Temple was pure genius in concept (but a bit to hard in practice I will admit).
  43. SamP.
    Nov 5, 2007
    I love timed games. Best in the series :P This game was always my favourite over OOT. Better than the rest. Plus refighting the bosses alone made it rock.
  44. alyc
    Dec 1, 2009
    I love this game! i havent beat it yet but I play it alot. its very challanging and hrd but I cant stop! Zelda games rock!
  45. Aug 27, 2012
    This game is the best Nintendo game I have ever played!.
  46. Mar 22, 2016
    Recently had a chance to play through this one again and although it is not my favorite Zelda by any means, it is a very well designed game. I am a classic Zelda fan so the more vintage Ocarina of Time story and environment is what I prefer, but many play style elements in OOT are improved. I do not like being timed or the childish aspect of many of the masks, but the puzzles and dungeonsRecently had a chance to play through this one again and although it is not my favorite Zelda by any means, it is a very well designed game. I am a classic Zelda fan so the more vintage Ocarina of Time story and environment is what I prefer, but many play style elements in OOT are improved. I do not like being timed or the childish aspect of many of the masks, but the puzzles and dungeons are so well made it overshadows these minor flaws. If you have any heart for Zelda, this is definitely worth trying. alot of die hard fans consider this one to be the best. Expand
  47. Nov 6, 2011
    Majoras Mask, Is a game that tops Ocarinia of Time in so many ways. In it's mechanism (time and masks), in its Game-play, Story and dungeon design. The game is most probably the darkest and grittiest game zelda game. Just because you play as young link doesn't mean its all happy, vibrant, instead there is a gritty feeling, a constant feeling of the inevitable death as you race against theMajoras Mask, Is a game that tops Ocarinia of Time in so many ways. In it's mechanism (time and masks), in its Game-play, Story and dungeon design. The game is most probably the darkest and grittiest game zelda game. Just because you play as young link doesn't mean its all happy, vibrant, instead there is a gritty feeling, a constant feeling of the inevitable death as you race against the evil Looking Moon, to save the world.

On a graphical side, so much more could had been done, if the team had more then a year to make this game, blurry textures, some of which don't quite make sense, and the use of repeated assets from OoT. It makes you think if the out-world design could had also been better with some more time in the oven. Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the out-world design, it rivals this of Oot, but you cant stop thinking that the Giant looming Cactai looking structure in the horizon just looks out of place and weird. This is a game I don't know what to rate, on one hand it surpasses Oot which would make it a perfect 10 but on the other-hand, the lack of polish and strange design design and reused assets clearly shout "this game should had been in the oven a bit more". 9/10
  48. May 24, 2012
    Without a doubt the most masterful game of all time. Every aspect of this game is fabulously perfect and the atmosphere is perfect for an apocalyptic setting. Tons of content and a mass variety of activity. A must play for anyone who claims to be a gamer.
  49. MichaelM
    Apr 14, 2010
    I do love the story line in Majora's Mask; the sinister moon's descent down to the doomed Termina is one of the best Zelda story concepts ever. I also like how it feels like a warped version of OOT, right down to the recycled character sprites with new, more twisted agendas. What I don't like, however, is how the game gives you ZERO indication as to what to do next. I I do love the story line in Majora's Mask; the sinister moon's descent down to the doomed Termina is one of the best Zelda story concepts ever. I also like how it feels like a warped version of OOT, right down to the recycled character sprites with new, more twisted agendas. What I don't like, however, is how the game gives you ZERO indication as to what to do next. I don't care what people say: if you are not using a strategy guide of some sort to play Majora's Mask, you are lying. Period. Expand
  50. Link
    Jul 28, 2001
    Very good, but just a bit short.
  51. MichaelL
    Jan 6, 2009
    The only game I can say is better with real confidence is ocarina of time. I look at OoT and MM as opposite sides of the same coin. Where Ocarina focused on dungeons and bosses, Majora's Mask was strong in side quests and character interaction. Collecting all the masks is brilliant. The only real disappointment to me playing this game right after OoT was going from a game with 10 The only game I can say is better with real confidence is ocarina of time. I look at OoT and MM as opposite sides of the same coin. Where Ocarina focused on dungeons and bosses, Majora's Mask was strong in side quests and character interaction. Collecting all the masks is brilliant. The only real disappointment to me playing this game right after OoT was going from a game with 10 dungeons to one with 5. Yet, the game feels just as long, and with all the side stuff, I feel fairly certain the game has more gameplay. Expand
  52. ZacharyD
    Mar 20, 2009
    This game is was of the best Zelda games. I keep talking to Zelda fans who never played it. Everyone MUST play this game, that is, if you're a true Zelda Fan.
  53. AngeloB
    Mar 30, 2009
    This is an AMAZING game all the little details and sidequests you get your money's worth and on top of that you get an AMAZING game and quest. Truly one of the best Zelda games in the series! It may not come close to OoT but it comes so damn close!
  54. LoganR
    Mar 6, 2009
    Linea K. gave it a4: It was simply to bizzare for my tastes. The bosses were just plain weird. When a giant mask grows limbs of un-skinned muscle and starts doing a russian dance across the rainbow-colored arena, I turn the game off. The sidequests, however were numerous and well done. So you hate it because the bosses are wierd? If you're going to judge a game based on it's Linea K. gave it a4: It was simply to bizzare for my tastes. The bosses were just plain weird. When a giant mask grows limbs of un-skinned muscle and starts doing a russian dance across the rainbow-colored arena, I turn the game off. The sidequests, however were numerous and well done. So you hate it because the bosses are wierd? If you're going to judge a game based on it's normalcy instead of gameplay, you seriously need to grow up! This game is awesome! Expand
  55. JordanG
    Sep 21, 2009
    In my view this game is up their with Ocarina of Time as the greatest game ever. The 3 day concept and use of masks add enough originality to make it feel well unique in the series and the challenge, although frustrating in places, is incredibly engaging.
  56. calebr
    Feb 10, 2010
    Honestly, this is the best zelda ever. some of you may say you hate and that oot was better, well oot was FIRST but not at all better. this took oot (which was an AMAZING GAME) and made it so much better. and all of you guys hating that "you only 3 days to beat the game" you honestly didnt even play for longer than 20 minutes. I mean seriously once you return to human form which should Honestly, this is the best zelda ever. some of you may say you hate and that oot was better, well oot was FIRST but not at all better. this took oot (which was an AMAZING GAME) and made it so much better. and all of you guys hating that "you only 3 days to beat the game" you honestly didnt even play for longer than 20 minutes. I mean seriously once you return to human form which should take no less than 20 minutes if you dont suck at gaming (as most of the childish reviewers her do) you will realize how amazing this game is. oot didnt have sidequests like this. oots plot was no where even close as complex as this was. this game here is the best zelda game of all time (followed by oot, than alttp, than spirit tracks, than ww and then the rest are amazing but the ones i listed are the best). Expand
  57. OliverL
    May 18, 2010
    I think the game is HIGHLY underestimated. First of all, I'm very picky when it comes to game music, all of the Zelda games so far have epic music. Majora's Mask have great side-quests, I mean, It's hard to gather all the masks. The idea of having masks overall is very nice, since you wont only use these old weapons, (The weapons themself are good aswell. But I don't I think the game is HIGHLY underestimated. First of all, I'm very picky when it comes to game music, all of the Zelda games so far have epic music. Majora's Mask have great side-quests, I mean, It's hard to gather all the masks. The idea of having masks overall is very nice, since you wont only use these old weapons, (The weapons themself are good aswell. But I don't want to see them to much repeated) Bosses are fun aswell as temples. I liked this game alot and it is a great contribution to the Zelda series! If you havn't already, go play it. Expand
  58. DanielB.
    Jun 28, 2003
    This game relly kicks ass and so does other N64 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  59. SeanB.
    Jul 15, 2004
    Goldeneye is to Perfect Dark as Ocarina of Time is to Majora's Mask. MM is one of the greatest sequels of all time.
  60. BrianD.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Though the characters may have been reused it is a completely different game.However, it is not a game for the weak or simple minded. It is a second masterpiece no matter what any crying sony fanboy tells you.
  61. WillersS.
    Nov 27, 2005
    better than Ocarina of Time. easily one of the top 3 or so games EVER created. this game controlled my life for a perioid of months when it came out. what i loved about this game so much was its dark and hanuning atmosphere compared to all the other zelda games. the plot is totally different too. the story is incredible and often frightening and it is a one of a kind experience most better than Ocarina of Time. easily one of the top 3 or so games EVER created. this game controlled my life for a perioid of months when it came out. what i loved about this game so much was its dark and hanuning atmosphere compared to all the other zelda games. the plot is totally different too. the story is incredible and often frightening and it is a one of a kind experience most likely never to be repeated again. Expand
  62. ChrisM.
    Mar 24, 2008
    One of the most under-rated games ever. Even though OoT is better, this game is still amazingly fun. Collecting masks = best sidequests ever.
  63. BrandonL
    Apr 13, 2009
    This game was great for many reasons. It has difficulty with its time system, which is something that I, as a hardcore Wii and Xbox 360 gamer, admire. Too many games are too easy, and this game will present you with a challenge. The time system also allows you to develop a personal relationship with characters. You have to make your "appointments" on time; and when you don't, you This game was great for many reasons. It has difficulty with its time system, which is something that I, as a hardcore Wii and Xbox 360 gamer, admire. Too many games are too easy, and this game will present you with a challenge. The time system also allows you to develop a personal relationship with characters. You have to make your "appointments" on time; and when you don't, you feel plain awful about it. Best Zelda game for this reason. Even with dated graphics, the story does enough to immerse you. Expand
  64. RM
    May 15, 2008
    One of the things I found most gripping about this game was it's atmosphere. It was a lot of fun, there was plenty of humour and pleasant activities, but it was also a seriously dark and sad tale, where you got the impression a lot of things/people were in disarray. The idea of going back in time and all the problems start over again. Not to mention some of the peculiar, random, One of the things I found most gripping about this game was it's atmosphere. It was a lot of fun, there was plenty of humour and pleasant activities, but it was also a seriously dark and sad tale, where you got the impression a lot of things/people were in disarray. The idea of going back in time and all the problems start over again. Not to mention some of the peculiar, random, pyschedelic stuff they put in (like the paradise of a moon where you taled to the child before taking on the last boss - who asks "shall we play"). A very strange and eerie game - the last computer game I think I ever really enjoyed. Expand
  65. RobertC.
    Dec 22, 2004
    This games rocks but its not as good as oot!!
  66. FranklynT
    Dec 14, 2009
    One of my all time favorite games. One of the hardest Zelda games (Adventure of Link just isnt fair), and one of my favorite N64 games of all time. I still treasure my gold cartridge edition, and still hate the water temple. A Zelda classic, that I plan on giving my children as one of their earlier video games.
  67. Apr 19, 2011
    As an art form, video games bring something new to the table: game play. As opposed to movies, books or other types of art, you are merely a spectator, however with video games, you get a direct involvement that is incapable in other forms. Perhaps the best example of this involvement is Zelda: Majora's Mask. The game has two different aspects that make it unique from not only otherAs an art form, video games bring something new to the table: game play. As opposed to movies, books or other types of art, you are merely a spectator, however with video games, you get a direct involvement that is incapable in other forms. Perhaps the best example of this involvement is Zelda: Majora's Mask. The game has two different aspects that make it unique from not only other zeldas but other video games. The three day aspect: you continuously play the same three days over and over, as well as the mask aspect: you can don masks that either have specific jobs or transform you into the soul of someone who comes from the world that you inhabit. In the game, you play as not only "Link" the main character, but inhabit a Deku Scrub, a Goron, and a Zora. With the Deku, you enter into an established role in a world that unfamiliar to you. Deku scrubs are obviously second class citizens. You can't go in some buildings, you can't join clubs and you are generally treated like dirt. Its different with the other two. The goron is a hero of his people and when you become him, you take on the cares and problems of his people. With the zora its similar, you need are part of a band and take on some of the problems of the zora people. The involvement in this story is what makes this game so great. Through experiencing the various people's lives in this game you experience what gives the game its amazing personality. You see the ups and downs and are compelled to change the things that are bad.

Theres so much more in this game to talk about: the ever present Moon that hangs above head, with a constantly sad look on its face, the beautiful and sad stories that are constantly appearing in the game, the games villain, The Skull Kid, who's only crime was looking for new friends. Its a hard game that is so wonderfully artful and amazing. It will remind you why video games are an art form worth fighting for.
  68. Oct 14, 2013
    Ignore the trolls reviewing here, this game is a solid title, but its shorter than OOT if you do not go into side quests, or aim to 100% the entire game,
    it adds alot to the gameplay with the expanded graphics and RAM capabilities, and the mask system is pretty unique
    the N64 Zeldas seem to be the definative titles in the series (next to Link to the past (SNES))
  69. LeonA.
    Sep 15, 2007
    This Zelda is is decidedly different from the rest of the series, but that is what makes it so great. Instead of some standard epic adventure, Majora's Mask explores the truth of the human mind through a sad, dark, and almost fairy tale-ish storyline. Everything is so strange and mysterious that it will have you pondering it's true meaning for weeks to come. Truley one of the This Zelda is is decidedly different from the rest of the series, but that is what makes it so great. Instead of some standard epic adventure, Majora's Mask explores the truth of the human mind through a sad, dark, and almost fairy tale-ish storyline. Everything is so strange and mysterious that it will have you pondering it's true meaning for weeks to come. Truley one of the deepest and most thought-provoking games made so far, aside from having everything that makes the Zelda series so incredibly awsome. Expand
  70. JohnE.
    Jan 27, 2008
    By any terms, it would be impossible to live up to OoT, but this comes as close as possible, while still giving a fresh game to all of us gamers. The atmosphere is incredibly well-constructed, the music and the gameplay itself are nothing short of captivating.
  71. SteveE.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Great, but not as good as OOT.
  72. TylerD
    Nov 17, 2008
    Quite an amazing game. Earlier votes attempt to compare OoT with MM and to be quite frank, you can't compare the two. They're both totally different genre's of games, and both have their own amazing style that give the Zelda name the amazing reputation it has. They both live up to expectations. For those who still disagree, MM is an amazing game because of it's complex Quite an amazing game. Earlier votes attempt to compare OoT with MM and to be quite frank, you can't compare the two. They're both totally different genre's of games, and both have their own amazing style that give the Zelda name the amazing reputation it has. They both live up to expectations. For those who still disagree, MM is an amazing game because of it's complex storyline, deviation from the norm, deep and complex side-quests, and great game play that holds to the Zelda name. OoT was amazing because of it's creation of a new genre, implementing the true shell of what Zelda games were soon to become, showing off an amazing storyline with complex temples, and a great new feel. They both had their differences. If I was to choose, I would personally pick MM because of it's three day system and it's complexity. It surpassed OoT in that aspect greatly. Great game, and let the argument rest. Expand
  73. Nov 23, 2011
    Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3dsWtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Wtb Majoras Mask 3ds remake. this is the best game ever made. Thats all I have to say. Expand
  74. Jun 6, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is oftentimes overlooked and overshadowed by it's older brother, Ocarina of Time. But in Majora's Mask you'll find something unlike anything else. I could go on about the stellar perfectly balanced and responsive gameplay, the then fantastic graphics, the huge at it's time unheard of open world, the familiar and likeable characters, or even the stellarThe Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is oftentimes overlooked and overshadowed by it's older brother, Ocarina of Time. But in Majora's Mask you'll find something unlike anything else. I could go on about the stellar perfectly balanced and responsive gameplay, the then fantastic graphics, the huge at it's time unheard of open world, the familiar and likeable characters, or even the stellar soundtrack. But what sticks most about Majora's Mask is it's theming. Never has there been a game that seems so bright and happy at the surface, but is so dark at it's core. It's something so subtle that many people never notice it when they play. So subtle that still today there are many wild theories and new discoveries. You can't afford to miss it Expand
  75. Aug 28, 2016
    Okay, wow nintendo, you're making me beat up kids now? And it has to be some kid that wears a mask because he's ugly or something? Nintendo are **** bullies or something. Anyway, this game's **** weird and creepy. I think I turned into a tree or something and I was supposed to fight the moon. Not only are Nintendo bullies, but they also trip on acid or something occasionally, like what theOkay, wow nintendo, you're making me beat up kids now? And it has to be some kid that wears a mask because he's ugly or something? Nintendo are **** bullies or something. Anyway, this game's **** weird and creepy. I think I turned into a tree or something and I was supposed to fight the moon. Not only are Nintendo bullies, but they also trip on acid or something occasionally, like what the **** 2/10 not the moon I was wanting to see, where's the elf girl? Expand
  76. MP83
    Aug 10, 2005
    Rather good game, but worst Zelda game in my humble opinion. I just didn't like all this mask stuff.
  77. LineaK.
    Sep 1, 2007
  78. Apr 4, 2011
    The main idea behind MM seems to be to replace most of the dungeons with other sources of gameplay. If this sounds fine to you, you probably don't actually like the Zelda series. Ever since Zelda 1, every game has been designed around the dungeons, because that's what makes them fun. MM only has a few main dungeons, and they're not very good ones either. There isn't much to do in them, andThe main idea behind MM seems to be to replace most of the dungeons with other sources of gameplay. If this sounds fine to you, you probably don't actually like the Zelda series. Ever since Zelda 1, every game has been designed around the dungeons, because that's what makes them fun. MM only has a few main dungeons, and they're not very good ones either. There isn't much to do in them, and to even go in them, you have to run around doing errands for an hour (just like WoW). Now, I'm not saying Zelda absolutely has to be focused on dungeons. The issue is that 90% of the gameplay is designed to only work with the dungeons.

And then, there's the obvious flaws. The fact that they reused everything from OoT, all those masks that barely even change the gameplay, and the fact that Nintendo charges full price for this game. Basically, don't buy this game. If you have to play it, borrow it from someone, and if you're not bored after a few hours, I guess go ahead and buy it.
  79. SallyS.
    Jun 7, 2007
    I hate timed games. The worst game in the series.
  80. DaveD.
    Dec 25, 2002
    I really loved the game, but, i mean, its not really fun. Its just way too, well, complicated. I know you Zelda lovers may yell at me, but, i really couldn't beat it w/o the strategy guide. The end is the only real fun part...
  81. Princess_zeldamarchese
    Aug 18, 2006
    This game is super hard and confusing they give give you 3 days to do every thing lol if you now wat to do it might be fun duh I just got it yesterday. P.S., the moon is ugly its going to give me nightmares.
  82. Lev
    Aug 23, 2009
    At first I thought it would be better than OoT, the new, bit darker setting seemed more interesting than the 'save princess and world', and the use of masks to change form also seemed appealing. But this game feels like I'm doing stupid chores for random people, and there's almost absolutely nothing telling you where to go next. Also, after Hyrule field, Termina field At first I thought it would be better than OoT, the new, bit darker setting seemed more interesting than the 'save princess and world', and the use of masks to change form also seemed appealing. But this game feels like I'm doing stupid chores for random people, and there's almost absolutely nothing telling you where to go next. Also, after Hyrule field, Termina field was VERY boring. I didn't even bother to get to the first dungeon. I'm still giving it a relatively good score, because it does have good gameplay elements and ideas, but overall it feels very rushed. Expand
  83. MikeG
    Dec 29, 2009
    I didn't like it. Collecting fairies when you have only a short time to complete a temple is very annoying, and the game doesn't feel as open or as epic as OoT.
  84. Ryencoke
    May 13, 2005
    This is the worst Zelda game, it's not fun at all.
  85. TaraW.
    Dec 5, 2006
    This game sucked it was so stupid it did have that Zelda feel to it lol it didnt feel Zelda like the story line was stupid to But I LOVEDDDD the OOT best game ever.
  86. TarikT.
    Oct 22, 2001
    The story sucked as well as the gameplay, and believe me I would know, I have been gaming all my life.
  87. Char
    Jul 25, 2002
    It doesn't even deserve the name Legend of Zelda. Poor story line and redone Ocarina dungeons make Majora's Mask nothing but a cheap Ocarina of Time remake!
  88. JKROFL
    Aug 1, 2009
    I was going to give this game a 9.7 but I had to round up to 10. Anyway Kudos to Nintendo for such a great game. It`s weird but definately not a bad weird. A person called Angelo B. said something like It may not come close to Oot but it`s so damn close. I don`t think that makes sense. How can a game be close and not close at the same time? Regardless of that nonsensical comment I think I was going to give this game a 9.7 but I had to round up to 10. Anyway Kudos to Nintendo for such a great game. It`s weird but definately not a bad weird. A person called Angelo B. said something like It may not come close to Oot but it`s so damn close. I don`t think that makes sense. How can a game be close and not close at the same time? Regardless of that nonsensical comment I think it`s a brilliant game. Almost as good as Okami. Expand
  89. Sariachan
    Dec 7, 2003
    One of the best game I ever played, Majora's Mask is hard to finish, complicated to play but, if one gets used to it, M'sM can provide great fun. It's an original and unique game.
  90. DerekT.
    Sep 20, 2003
    This game is Da BOMB people, it rocks, So get it now, its sweet.
  91. Jun 18, 2011
    Majora's Mask is a good game, even a game I'm willing to play again. But it was lacking. As any other Legend of Zelda game it had great dungeons and all the other little things people have learned to love from the Zelda series, but it could never reach the infinite glory many other games of the time could. Even within the Zelda series it becomes forgettable. Now for the more positive:Majora's Mask is a good game, even a game I'm willing to play again. But it was lacking. As any other Legend of Zelda game it had great dungeons and all the other little things people have learned to love from the Zelda series, but it could never reach the infinite glory many other games of the time could. Even within the Zelda series it becomes forgettable. Now for the more positive: Termina is a great place and the game evolves in it's own unique way. Majora's Mask is still a good play and one I would recommend to almost anyone. Collapse
  92. Aug 23, 2012
    I personally did not enjoy this, but it has it's good points. The 3-day cycle was the only thing keeping me going. Masks and constantly taking out the ocarina was a pain in the ass. Did not enjoy the story, but still buy it, it's only my opinion after all.
  93. Sep 17, 2013
    It's Beautiful and Majestic graphics are just as good as Ocarina of Time, but it lacks the charm and warmth of the previous Zelda games and replaces it with a tragic and gloomy story.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask lacks heart and charm. Score: 2/5.
  94. Jun 10, 2017
    Someone said this game is like the acid trip of someone that made Ocarina, and it makes some sense, the game is Bizarre. In truth though, the game is kinda experimental and that has its bad sides and its good sides, some of the experiments it tried backfired and some of them were generally good. Namely the time limit function is an extremely double edged sword and I believe a large part ofSomeone said this game is like the acid trip of someone that made Ocarina, and it makes some sense, the game is Bizarre. In truth though, the game is kinda experimental and that has its bad sides and its good sides, some of the experiments it tried backfired and some of them were generally good. Namely the time limit function is an extremely double edged sword and I believe a large part of players , to not say the majority could do without it, or at least with a purely pause function, not because it's inherently technically bad but because time limits generally produce anxiety to a lot of people (not all) and that can reduce fun. The game however had some good ideas since the complexity it introduced in navigating the time travelling shenanigans were fun to think about. All in all though the game had its bad sides and its good sides and at the end of the day the main things I will remember are the dungeons and the gameplay, and those were around Ocarina's quality, almost more complex and confusing than it (though not necessarily harder) and in general it leaves you with a feeling, ok, worth it but probably not the best game in the world. Expand
  95. Jub
    Mar 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not enjoy this game anywhere near as much as I expected to. Pretty much everything about it is worse than The Ocarina of Time. Don't get me wrong though, it's not a bad game and I am comparing it to the greatest game ever made. I just really don't understand how anyone can say this game is the better of the two.

I'll admit that there are a slack handful of improvements, but only to basic mechanics such as changing your items mid conversation. However, the story, characters, music i.e. everything important is worse, and I don't mean slightly, I mean they really did slap this game together.

*SPOILER [start]*
    If you could disable the time limit in the game altogether, you could probably complete the game at a leisurely pace in 10-15 hours. I recently watched my friend play The Ocarina of Time for the first time and it took him 120 hours. Yes I know that this is the whole point to Majora's Mask but repetitive gameplay is about as boring [for me] as it gets.
    *SPOILER [end]*

Whilst most of the time I do appreciate Nintendo and their innovative visions, this time I did not.
  96. Feb 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Other than wanting attention....I give it a 5 because you can't relax.....its great that there is truly a lot to it......but the masks don't really seem to be as unique or powerful as i had hoped for after an awesome town and music..........Great story and i love how its the same Skull kid from the first or something.....awesome how the skull kid has some prior relationship with the giants.......If i gave it any higher of a score it would only be because im yet to see anything top these two games as far as magical feelings are concerned.....although the giants in real life will always lead you to fight the evil moon.............Giants can see the future sometimes is what im saying....even though they eat so fast.. Expand
  97. Jan 13, 2017
    Not only is this game overrated, it is also one of the worst Zelda games I have played. The groundhog day gimmick is forced down your throat, there is very little story and there are some of the worst dungeons and bosses I've seen in the series. There are only two sidequests worth the effort, despite claims that all of them are brilliant.
    It is a crime that this sorry excuse for a Zelda
    It is a crime that this sorry excuse for a Zelda is ranked above Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Sorry contrarians, this is a video game that did deserve the hate when it came out.
  98. Apr 28, 2017
    This game is so weird... It introduced a decent concept however: transformation masks. I found the deku mask and Woodfall temple to be unbearable, a truly horrible experience. The Snowhead temple was the best in the game (loved the Goron mask, that was the most fun part of the main quest), the Great bay temple despite being tedious at times, was okay overall and the Zora mask was also lotsThis game is so weird... It introduced a decent concept however: transformation masks. I found the deku mask and Woodfall temple to be unbearable, a truly horrible experience. The Snowhead temple was the best in the game (loved the Goron mask, that was the most fun part of the main quest), the Great bay temple despite being tedious at times, was okay overall and the Zora mask was also lots of fun. The stone tower temple is overrated though: it's not even the best dungeon in the game. The main quest of this game is mediocre overall, what makes this game satisfactory is its really fun and long side quest: mask collecting, definitely more fun than the main quest. The story is also excellent, it's dark, melancholic and sometimes depressing. A nice change from the usual Zelda storyline. The soundtrack is also excellent, with the best song being without a doubt the song of healing. The boss fights were mostly disappointing, the only one I liked was Goht (that was awesome), the other boss fights and dungeons are easily forgettable. This game isn't in my top 5 Zelda games, I largely prefer Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, but Majoras's mask is still a good game. Although the game's main quest and dungeons are nothing special, the game's side quest, original story and amazing soundtrack make it a worthwhile experience for most Zelda fans. The Goron transformation mask is also extremely fun to use. Expand
  99. Mar 21, 2017
    This game is pure trash. How can people like this game? The graphics are garbage bad. Its like if a team of amateur did this game. Its way too easy, the story is atrociously bad, all the characters are forgettable. The fan base is way too much up zelda ass.
  100. Nov 15, 2012
    Of all the Zelda games, this one definitely has the best side quests. The main game is not bad, but definitely sub par compared to the more popular releases, but the game definitely has some of the best side quests of all time.
  101. Jun 18, 2011

#1 Most Discussed N64 Game of 2000
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 2000

1. Where Majora rises to the top is its concept – three days to save the world. The execution of the idea is flawless: time means everything and the player always has to be aware. The save system is absolutely perfect, letting players feel comfortable in controlling time but still keeping them on the edge of their seats when things get hairy.
  2. CNET Gamecenter
    Stunning, optimized graphics; immersive, rich sound; refined, complex, and deep gameplay; and a mature, gripping plot make it a game that you won't want to miss.
  3. Da Gameboyz
    Da Graphics: To say nothing short of astonishing is an understatement.