7.3

1. Oct 20, 2013
    140 is a really enjoyable platforming experience. it is very much rythm based, and i like that a lot. most obstacles are not too hard, except for the last one, which i needed quite some tries for. the visual style is very basic, yet awesome in its own way. the music fits in very well (the gameplay is based on the music, in fact). overall a really nice experience. maybe a little short (took me 60 minutes), but hey it's a really cheap game. so don't complain. ;)

2. Nov 17, 2013
    This game isn't what you call easy, but its still an indie gamer's dream. Its short, its simple, and it puts you in a different world. I disconnected from everything around me, and it felt great. There was no story line or tutorial to get in the way, it was bliss. Play it!
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    Surprisingly good game.. I normally avoid 'retro' games most are not retro and are just poor imitations of past glories.. but pleased I purchased this on impulse. Its simple gfx style don't detract from this platform game. The Music and beats make this game very interesting indeed.
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    If you are a lover of music and platformers, you need to take a look at 140. Most people don't like this game because of how short it is, but it put it this way: If somebody hears a song, and they love it, then naturally they want to hear it again. Once they're tired of the song, they take a break, then later they just might want to hear it yet again. 140 is a game that revolves around sound. It's like a song that you listen to that goes at your pace, and if it gets stuck in you head, then you (naturally) want to hear it again, so you decide to replay a level. If this goes on long enough, the game won't be short at all, it will actually last for as long as you want it too. I really enjoy this game, and the price seems just fine for me. I hope you like it too. Expand
  5. Aug 22, 2014
    140's is a straight up platformer, and it isn't afraid to show that, as jumps you have to do in the game requires pin-point accuracy from start to finish. The game is simple at its core, in that there are no real enemies, except the static floors and the chance of getting crushed, and your own worst enemy is yourself, as the game NEVER feels cheap, and you are always the one to blame for your mistakes.

The game is very well crafted in that everything feels new, even though all that is used are 3 basic shapes: Squares, circles and triangles (which the player, a square, turns into depending on what you are doing, so you always know your current state, a clever design choice I might add), and that the game is very simple, yet very difficult at the same time.

The main goal is to find some flying balls and bring them to a nearby spot on the ground. This "unlocks" a new gameplay mechanic, such as jump blocks and anti-gravity. These always feel satisfying to get to, and even catching the flying ball is a challenge itself.

There are some "bosses", though they are still more of a platforming challenge in most parts, though all of them change up the basic platforming gameplay a lot, from the first being almost a shoot-em-up in that you get a laser that you shoot at the boss, the second being a flying section where you have to avoid static, which I find similar to a boss in Gunstar Heroes, and the final boss where you have to change an arrow so it points in the right direction of a triangle pointing to you, as the others are pointing the other direction, which sounds easy enough, but then at some point, your arrow changes on its own, so you have to time it right, but it changes from moving one space to moving two spaces and it repeats, which is one of the hardest things I have ever done in a game, as it requires an insane amount of concentration on both where you need to put the arrow to shoot triangle, and I found it near impossible to get used to, which might be the point, though it was still enjoyable, and I never wanted to give up.

Gameplay 10/10 - This game has the best platforming in a pure platforming game I have ever played. While I still like a lot of other platformers more than this, those are for different reasons, this game's gameplay is what makes this game what it is. The way it introduces new mechanics rapidly that have never been done before, and it does so with simple graphics, shows how great the gameplay is in this. There are not a lot of bad things I can say about the gameplay, except for the last boss due to how weird it was for me to get used to. It's never too hard, though it certainly isn't easy.

6/10 Graphics - The graphics in this game, well, they are 2D shapes, there isn't really any at all, and that's how it's suppose to be, as your enemy is literally triangles and static. It's minimalistic, though it isn't trying to be pretentious, the game just doesn't need any fancy graphics to do what it's suppose to do. What the graphics do help is that whenever you catch one of the balls, the whole color pallet of the game changes, and even though you are still in the same place, it feels different, just by changing the colors, which is impressive in such a low detail game. I kind of wish it did more with what it had though, but I suppose overdoing it was not suppose to be the point.

9/10 Music - The music in this game combined with the gameplay is what makes this game so memorable. The music is an electronic, synth, chiptune-ish feel that is minimalistic and atmospheric, it makes you feel an aloneness, as you are platforming through the game. As you continue throughout your platforming journey, you'll notice how the music progresses with you, similar to Sound Shapes, and with the same feel of you accomplishing something whenever you get to a new beat. Along with the music, the level also plays a big role in the music, as various objects makes sounds, which makes the music feel like it's more a part of the world than just the soundtrack. The only thing I am sad about is that the game is so short that there aren't a lot of music in the game.

5/10 Value - It isn't a very long game, will maybe take you about 1-2 hours depending on how good you are, which is sad, though I can see why it isn't longer, as the game feels like it's meant to be played in one setting. You do get to play in mirror mode after the game is done though, so if you enjoy that, you can replay it in another way. Besides that, there is not a whole lot of replayability in this game, no secrets or anything of that sort, at least not to my knowledge. It isn't very expensive, only €5 so it won't hurt your pocket to get this game.

9/10 Overall - The game is amazing. If you like platforming and games where the music matters, but you are not bothered by oldschool graphics, this game is worth a try.
  6. Aug 20, 2014
    140 is a very short platformer game for the PC with a simple but distinctive aesthetic. Story The game has no story. Gameplay The gameplay is mostly fairly simple, but really has two modes; there is the gameplay during the levels, and the gameplay during the “bosses”. The levels are all full of fairly standard platforming elements; moving platforms, “spikes/lava” which takes the form of static, and various other simplistic elements. The game does mix these up somewhat, with blocks which trigger other blocks to appear or disappear, expanding and contracting blocks which hover in place but can crush the player, blocks which temporarily turn themselves into ground which will kill the player if they touch it, and, in one level, brief, periodic periods of anti-gravity, where the player will fall up (but cannot jump off the ceiling).
    The game is quite brief, consisting of only three levels of increasing difficulty, and checkpoints are frequent – a very necessary feature in the third, quite difficult level of the game. The player must periodically retrieve floating orbs and bring them to platforms to transform the level in order to continue on their way through it, and each time the level grows deadlier and more complicated, until they have reached the end of it.
    At the end of every level there is a boss of sorts, though in reality they are merely segments of very different gameplay. The first one is a fairly traditional boss which shoots at the player from above and splits in half every time the player shoots it with a little hovering shooter which fires automatically every few seconds, requiring the player to time their presence underneath the boss to harm them. The second one has the player navigating through an environment which feels like they are racing down a narrowing track as an enemy whose touch means death zooms back and forth past the player. The third and final one has the player trying to defend themselves from enemies, pointing their blaster at them before they attack; as the player only has one shot per group of enemies, they have to make it count. This last one is quite frustrating as it plays heavily with interface screw, first by making it so that the blaster rotates either 90 or 180 degrees before firing (in a predictable pattern), and secondly, by shifting around the entire screen and thus giving the player only a very tiny amount of time to react. This was the most frustrating part of the game, and was a poor design choice as it felt very awkward rather than like a fun puzzle.

Graphics

The game has a very simple aesthetic to it; everything in the game is a geometric shape of some sort, and the player themselves turns from a triangle to a circle to a square depending on their movement and actions. Even the music is very simple, the game being silent at first, then gradually building up a more and more complicated soundtrack which beats in time with movements of objects in the environment.

Final Summary

The game is decent overall, but it is very short, and the third “boss” is quite obnoxious as the game experimented with interface screw in the place of interesting gameplay. On the whole the game was not terrible, but given its very short length, with the entire game likely taking no more than an hour to beat, and the frustrating final “boss”, there’s not a whole lot to recommend beyond its aesthetic.
  7. Jun 2, 2014
    140 is a minimalist (and I really mean minimalist!) platformer very much in the same mould as Thomas Was Alone. Each of the 3 stages requires the player to collect small round 'keys' which are used to gradually open up more of the level. What differentiates 140 from other similar titles however is its use of audio with players having to respond to the background music that builds throughout each stage, rather than just visual clues, in order to time movement and jumps correctly and avoid a multitude of obstacles and deadly falls. At the end of each stage the game mixes things up a little with, what could loosely be described as, boss battles that see the player having to avoid or shoot incoming projectiles.

140 is not a long game and, if you ignore the mirror mode, a decent player will likely be able to complete the main game in about an hour. Its retro visual style, sharp controls, and unique use of audio in particularly, do however make for a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Last time I checked it was available for around £5 so it is well worth picking up.
  8. Jul 4, 2014
    140 is a minimalistic and abstract platformer rhythm game. There are no lives, menus, tutorials or hand-holding: it's you and the game. The levels are composed of platforms and blocks with different properties that respond to the "periodic nature" of the music/rhythm, comprising of minimal dubstep with a subtle hint of chiptunes. (At places, it reminded me of Krafwerk). Besides watching, listening to the music/rhythm, feeling it, is essential to figure out how the obstacles work, enabling you progress. This discovery involves some trial and error, but there are frequent seamless checkpoints that almost immediately respawn you when you fail. As you progress along each level the music and rhythm patterns become more complex, making for more complex obstacle sequences, which creates a sense of momentum and exhilaration as you move along. At the end of each of the 3 groups of levels, there is a "boss", which is challenging but spectacular.

The overall design of this game is nothing short of brilliant: the music and visuals/blocks are synergistically woven together; the platforming elements and obstacles nail the sweet spot between recognizability and making you pause a moment to observe and think; the flow and pacing are perfect and the aesthetic, both in visuals and music is the definition of minimal beauty.
    Because "dying" hurts the flow of the music, I felt the game instilling me a desire to play without errors on further playthroughs, and mastering this game and being able to finish it in one go would be a truly special achievement. You could try just that: after finishing the game you unlock a special mode where you can start from the beginning with the levels horizontally reversed and, if you die, you start from the beginning...

140 managed to provide me one of the most immersive and memorable experiences I ever had in gaming. There are only two things keeping me from giving it a perfect score. Firstly, the game is somewhat short (it took me about 1h to complete? in one sitting) and left me wanting more. Secondly, the final "boss" is quite difficult and I suspect will frustrate some people because it involves not only realising the pattern but also using very fast eye-hand reactions.

However, there is something very special about this game, so minimal and yet so complete.
  9. Jan 29, 2014
    Not a bad game. Gameplay takes under 1 hour though. It's easy or hard whether you pay attention to the rhythm or not. This concept could''ve been exploited into a bigger game in my opinion, but I am fairly happy with it as it is.
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    This game is okay. Deferent and stunning design, with a beat that fits the game, but all in all not a very good game thats is to short. You can finish it in about 20-30 minutes.
  11. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is a good experience. It is very short,but very hard.
    The most interesting thing is that the rules are coming and disappear .
    I personally liked this game because you can use the music,and the music it's not for background,because you use it to help you out.
    The hardest thing I've seen in this game is that the orbs are moving and these are really hard to catch,but still,a good game.
  12. Jul 6, 2014
    Innovative little amazing game. The music is amazing, matches every step of the game.
    The experience you get with this game is immersive and very satisfying.
    Try it... Now!

1. Nov 5, 2013
    With its beat, pounding in the head and on the skin, 140 proves once again what the indie scene is about. Jeppe Carlsen creates a wonderful experience and delivers what is more than a game: a love declaration to music and genius.
  2. Oct 23, 2013
    Though the brutal rise in difficulty near the end mars the adventure, it doesn't ruin the overall mood, and the cover charge is more than reasonable for this particular night at the club. Grab a colorful cocktail and head to the dance floor!
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    140 is the scientific definition of a platformer. It is cold, brutal, elegant and beautiful in a mathematic way.