6.9

1. Sep 23, 2014
    the game is a buggy mess that needs to be fixed can't use the patcher if you have the steam version because it requires the cd it self also its just boring and very repetitive i cannot recommend this at all.
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    Hello Metacritic, I had 18 Wheels Of Steel on my old computer,but it messed up so I got a new one.I went to get 18 WOS again so I did but it has been a week and I still cant play it.I payed for it but I cant play it.Did I do something wrong?
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    This is a good game. It can be boring. Hauling cargo across America can be boring but it lives up to it's name. To me, the only thing that keeps it from getting a 9 or 10 is the fact that the difficulty levels are screwed up. Easy is so easy it's not even fun. Medium is a bit more difficult, but still fairly easy. Hard is almost unplayable. You start in a starter truck (good) with aThis is a good game. It can be boring. Hauling cargo across America can be boring but it lives up to it's name. To me, the only thing that keeps it from getting a 9 or 10 is the fact that the difficulty levels are screwed up. Easy is so easy it's not even fun. Medium is a bit more difficult, but still fairly easy. Hard is almost unplayable. You start in a starter truck (good) with a day-cab (no sleeper). This isn't so good seeing how Hotels aren't plentiful. So you wind up dozing and perhaps damaging your truck and/or cargo. All levels should start in a sleeper, but with the basic engine (truck with trailer won't go over 55 unless it's going over a cliff) and maybe some moderate damage to the truck on the Hard level requiring servicing to get the full potential out of it which would require you to deliver some cargo to get the money for the repairs.
    All in all a good game, but it's got a few holes in it.
  4. Apr 15, 2013
    18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul is a game that is some fun for the first 5 hours of play. I liked the open feeling to the game and the career, and the missions themselves aren't that bad either. The problems start after you play for a while and begin noticing some things. You get fined for not stopping along the route, but there are no places to sleep. The distribution of fuel is18 Wheels of Steel: American Long Haul is a game that is some fun for the first 5 hours of play. I liked the open feeling to the game and the career, and the missions themselves aren't that bad either. The problems start after you play for a while and begin noticing some things. You get fined for not stopping along the route, but there are no places to sleep. The distribution of fuel is scarce, and after you hire a new driver, you don't have to play the game any more, just watch the cash flow in. This game is fun for a while, but once that wears off, you begin to rethink playing it. Expand
  5. Oct 6, 2012
    Its a good game but graphics are better in haulin and pedal to the metal and if that is it for the series it is only a drivin simulator. the driver never eats and never goes to a hotel
  6. Dec 18, 2011
    This game is very detailed and has good graphics for it's date of making. American long haul has to be one of the best of 18 wheels of steel, I am in state of thought that it is nice to have a game that's not based on a different countries trucking tradition. I would also like to state that the trucks in this game are based on real trucks and that this games has a great selection ofThis game is very detailed and has good graphics for it's date of making. American long haul has to be one of the best of 18 wheels of steel, I am in state of thought that it is nice to have a game that's not based on a different countries trucking tradition. I would also like to state that the trucks in this game are based on real trucks and that this games has a great selection of American brand semi rigs. Thanks Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2011
    This game was horrible. There is no real tutorial to teach yourself what you are doing, and the controls are horrible. Graphics are none all that good either. It wasn't worth the 2.50 or whatever it was on the steam sale.
  8. Jun 17, 2011
    great game! im a huge fan of the 18 wheels of steel series and they really out did themselves with this one by adding mexico and some new cargo. i highly recommend this game if you just like to drive and have fun on the open road. PROS: great graphics, descent geography, and very little glitches, and realistic physics and you run out of gas
    CONS: the AI is extremely stupid and frustrating,
    CONS: the AI is extremely stupid and frustrating, every once in a while there will be a random tree in the middle of the road, handling of the trucks is a little hard if you use a key board, and the crash generator is poor, as in you can get damage but it's not really visible unless you get it high enough then your axles bend and you loose performance. other than those problems it's a great game and i really enjoy playing it.
  9. gilads
    Aug 4, 2009
    at first i would give this game a 9 but after seeing euro truck simulator
    this game seems not that good.
    if you could make the game bigger like include all of canada and all of mexico. also add more types of cargo and most important add missions and feats and unlockable cities like in euro truck sim i need a game with a purpose and a goal to achieve. also make contracts available for
    at first i would give this game a 9 but after seeing euro truck simulator
    this game seems not that good.
    if you could make the game bigger like include all of canada and all of mexico.
    also add more types of cargo
    i need a game with a purpose and a goal to achieve.
    also make contracts available for me as well ant not only to hired drivers.
    contracts assigned to me can be completed only after i transport every kind of cargo the company has to all the company docks in all the cities.
    also give challenges like reach 99999999 on the distance meter or something
    you know
    make it really long and difficult to finish
    give me a challenge
    and maybe whoever manages to actually complete the game will win your next game for free.
  10. TimA
    May 10, 2009
    As mentioned earlier the laws are very vague, either I did not understand how to get in the sleeper or the developers figured that wasn't important, and figured that truck drivers always use a motel on the road. Maybe before these game developers do another game like this maybe they would research a bit more before actually releasing the game. I also concur with another statement the As mentioned earlier the laws are very vague, either I did not understand how to get in the sleeper or the developers figured that wasn't important, and figured that truck drivers always use a motel on the road. Maybe before these game developers do another game like this maybe they would research a bit more before actually releasing the game. I also concur with another statement the handling made me feel like I had a couple to many. Expand
  11. AustinSims
    Mar 15, 2009
    18 wos is the Awsomest game ever to play on pc.
    Me and my cousin play it all the time and have fun playing it.i hope they make a second one.
  12. AlexeyB.
    May 8, 2008
    Well game has liked me, more and more, is less worked, a plot excellent. Confuses a unique minus in game this that that speed of the lorry practically is not felt and it seems that you creep on road.
  13. ELLNDM
    Apr 20, 2008
    The market really needs truck games.The only one i know is 18 wheels across America. The same boring cockpit and stuff. Please develop a much sophisticated game, a little bit hard to finish and much better handling of the truck...10x.
  14. WilliamR.
    Apr 5, 2008
    18wheels of steel American long haul is great! I love the trucks,routes,and the loads. The graphics are outstanding!Long hauling down the road is loads of fun. I like the routes to Mexico, this is a great game!
  15. ThomasS.T
    Mar 24, 2008
    Great game, but as already mentioned, the graphics could have been much better :/ AND the handling of the trucks is somewhat weird, like just like that you loose about 90% of your grip!
  16. JoeC.
    Mar 24, 2008
    I've played the game and enjoyed the realism of imaginable long hours of play. The street mapping and 1st, 2nd, 3rd person views are quite unique! Many long hours of exciting play are well worth its cost.
  17. LukeS.
    Feb 22, 2008
    This game is a joke right? Why would a developer release a game that is exactly like the previous version (haulin). Yes you get a few more places to go ,but the same trucks,trailers,and upgrades as the previous game. The "18 Wheels of Steel " games are not that great to begin with but with very few other choices in the truck driving sim I believe the developers feel they can give us This game is a joke right? Why would a developer release a game that is exactly like the previous version (haulin). Yes you get a few more places to go ,but the same trucks,trailers,and upgrades as the previous game. The "18 Wheels of Steel " games are not that great to begin with but with very few other choices in the truck driving sim I believe the developers feel they can give us crappy games and we will be happy. I believe that when Rig N Roll is released you will see the end of the 18 wheels of steel franchise. What a shame. Expand
  18. ShaneS.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Painfully boring. Lacks many important details such as trucking laws. You repeatedly get fined for driving too many hours yet nothing in the game tells you what is allowable. The detail is poor and missions are long and boring.
  19. BrandonE.
    Feb 13, 2008
    Slightly better than Haulin!
  20. RasmusA.
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is as great as all the other games in the series. You can get your lifes biggest simulated trucker-cruise. The textures is not bad and the features is useable. So, its a game thats worth to buy, but if you already own the Haulin' game, you shouldn't pay for American Long Haul!
  21. BobS.
    Feb 7, 2008
    If you're familiar at all with the 18 wheels of steel series you'll be greatly disappointed with American long haul. Essentially, this is the exact same game as the previous release, Haulin'. The difference? The San Francisco area is slightly different and they've added a few new towns down in Mexico, so the area map is slightly larger. Otherwise, the sound, graphics, If you're familiar at all with the 18 wheels of steel series you'll be greatly disappointed with American long haul. Essentially, this is the exact same game as the previous release, Haulin'. The difference? The San Francisco area is slightly different and they've added a few new towns down in Mexico, so the area map is slightly larger. Otherwise, the sound, graphics, trucks, upgrades, textures, and everything else about the game remains exactly the same as Haulin'. If you own Haulin', don't bother buying this game it's a waste of money. Expand
  22. ThomasS.
    Feb 6, 2008
    Has a great potential - the current release has some issues regarding stability and gameplay - hope it will be smoothed out in future updates -special controller to drivel the playertruck is mandatory.
  23. JackW.
    Feb 4, 2008
    This game really lives up to its pitch...it is about as exiting as long-haul trucking. You get to drive for long distances, pay traffic tickets, and sleep in cheap motels. Wake me up with they release "CPA - Live the Life!"
  24. Oct 6, 2012
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. PC Gamer UK
    I'd like to have seen more impressive rendering of the incredible geography of the continent, but nevertheless: 18 Wheels of Steel, you are weird and brave. We salute you. [Apr 2008, p.79]