6180 the Moon PC

7.8

1. Mar 1, 2015
    Steam shoves a lot of stuff onto Steam through its Greenlight platform, some good, some bad. One such game is 6180 the moon, a platforming game developed by first-time developer Turtle Cream Studios.

The gameplay of 6180 the moon is as simple as its story. You play as The Moon, who rolls through the various levels of the game in pursuit of the Sun, who has recently disappeared - the Moon has made it its goal to find the Sun and work out what has gone wrong. The mechanic that makes 6180 the moon unique is the fact that the top and bottom of ther level are connected - falling down causes you to reappear at the top, and jumping through the top causes you to rise from below, which makes for some rather interesting gameplay, which slowly develops over the course of the game's five areas with other mechanics, for instance blocks which explode, pushing the Moon upwards or downwards. Some of these mechanics, particularly the connected ceiling and floor and one mechanic where pressing a button causes some blocks to disappear, remind me of the old indie game Karoshi 2.0, which had some similar mechanics.

The game starts off easy and pretty much continues being generally easy throughout, though not so much so as to be boring - There is the slightest hint of challenge to keep you interested as you play through. That said, it is also a very short game, so don't expect to complete ther main game in over an hour; it took me about 45 minutes. But despite its short length, 6180 the moon is still an enjoyable experience with its interesting mechanics and the simple art style and soundtrack, which reminds me in part of some of the old WiiWare games for Nintendo Wii.

Overall, I'd reccommend 6180 the moon. Short but sweet, it's a cute little platformer with a unique little style, ideal for when you feel like a quick one-hour game. It's relatively cheap already on Steam, with a base price of only £2.75, so I can see it going even cheaper amidst the Steam sales, and it's also available for download from the Wii U's eShop.
  2. Oct 13, 2014
    A short but enchanting platformer with mechanics that stay interesting long enough for the 2 hours that it takes to complete this game. The soundtrack adds greatly to the experience. I am glad I played this.

There are no critic reviews yet.