6.5

1. Dec 30, 2013
    At the beginning I was very sceptic to that game. I thought it would be just another mumbo jumbo about the ecology. But when I started the game it completely drew me in. The story was amazing and led me to the masterful ending.
    Story and ending aren't the only great thing in that game. It also has very climatic music, beautiful drawn locations and difficult riddles.
    I can't not mention
    I can't not mention about awesome characters with their unique and complex personalities and stories. I really liked Fay and Bent.
  2. Feb 27, 2015
    Very strong and broken characters, beautiful setting and melancholic story. One of the best adventures from Daedalic , and I`ve played them all. Check Whispered World also
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    It's a great adventure game, when it comes down to it. I had to reference a walkthrough 3 or 4 times for puzzles that I either didn't feel like spending hours on, or for puzzles that were simply non-intuitive via the interface (like, actions or events that after I had read the answer made me think "gee, I thought of that 30 minutes ago, and it didn't work the way I tried to implementIt's a great adventure game, when it comes down to it. I had to reference a walkthrough 3 or 4 times for puzzles that I either didn't feel like spending hours on, or for puzzles that were simply non-intuitive via the interface (like, actions or events that after I had read the answer made me think "gee, I thought of that 30 minutes ago, and it didn't work the way I tried to implement it...").

The voice acting is mediocre, but I could care less about that. If this game had no voice acting, and consisted of text subtitles only, you would find that the dialogue and conversations are great anyway, and provoke the same human emotions and reactions from you, the player, nonetheless. So, I can't rightfully take any strikes against this game for the voice acting--it's just so superficial.

Bottom line, great story, great comic-art graphics, nice music, and absolutely worth playing!
  4. Dec 15, 2012
    I'm not usually a big fan of adventure games (except maybe for the original Indiana Jones...). However the maturity of the storyline got me to buy it. I do enjoy the cartoony cut scenes delivery as well.

In terms of the story I was really impressed. It's twists and turns and you never really know where it's going. It's got this nice flash-back story thing going as well so you don't get bored in the same place/time too long.

There are a few quirks on the way the cut scenes are delivered. Sometimes you get audio spats in between scenes (probably loading / unloading sounds?) and some minor other bugs. Sometimes the characters have a bit of moon-walking action going on, in the close up scenes. Also some lip syncing is completely off in some cut scenes but that could be my computer... And I'm being picky. It doesn't take you out of the action which is the main thing... The puzzles between scenes can be a big gimmicky at times but I think that's just the nature of any adventure games. I did enjoy the skip button availability for complex puzzles. You get to the point where "ok I see where this is going but I've had enough of this" and you can skip. Cool stuff. I really dig the story, so it always gave me the incentive to see what's next and push through puzzles.

Overall very happy with this title and I'm not finished with it yet. So thumbs up.
  5. Ume
    Nov 21, 2013
    Beautiful hand painted art, good soundtrack and ambiance, and many puzzles (logical for most, a few really hard ones) to enjoy. Daedalic tries to send a socially conscious message while providing good entertainment, and for the most part it is well implemented. The more negative aspect is the technical problems, although still not enough to completely detract players from trying this solidBeautiful hand painted art, good soundtrack and ambiance, and many puzzles (logical for most, a few really hard ones) to enjoy. Daedalic tries to send a socially conscious message while providing good entertainment, and for the most part it is well implemented. The more negative aspect is the technical problems, although still not enough to completely detract players from trying this solid adventure. Expand

1. Jan 6, 2013
    If you are truly desperate for good puzzles and sumptuous art, then you could do worse than play A New Beginning, but I found it impossible to look past the many issues and really enjoy the few things it manages to do right.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    It's a back and forth battle, as it's an enjoyable experience, but one that falls short of the adventure game and technological standards many have come to expect. If there was only a little bit more polish, A New Beginning – Final Cut could have been a unforgettable adventure.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    I am glad to finally see an adventure game that uses its narrative potential to address some important ecological themes and ideas. Even though the conclusion of the sci-fi story seems a little unrewarding, I always had a good time playing the game. Puzzles are generally solid, the hand painted graphics are beautiful and most of the (German) voice acting is well done. A New Beginning may not be perfect, but it's mature, surprising and quite simply fun to play.