7.5

1. May 15, 2013
    They added a resolution fix, a couple of textures and a load of achievements, and they completely removed proper LAN support. Way to go!. Another kick in the nuts for AoE fans after AoEO.
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    Age of Empires 2 is a great game, but not a lot has changed.
    To call this "HD Edition" is seemingly confusing, from that you'd imagine that a lot more has changed.
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    5 months later and the game is STILL BROKEN! I STILL get choppy fps (i'm on a gtx 670 by the way),the steam workshop with the game is totally borked most of the time and they never fixed any of the problems that the vanilla version of AOE 2 had. I will NEVER buy another game from hidden path again in my life.
  4. oso
    Jul 18, 2013
    This is just another attempt to squeeze money from a dead series. The title 'HD' is a joke cause its the same scaled up textures also it doesn't offer any new gameplay featuresat all. We quickly stopped playing it because of the serious performance issues it has. By that i mean constant desync and lag problems during multiplayer gaming.
  5. Nov 8, 2013
    This was my favorite RTS until I played starcraft 2.

This game is not worth it in its current state, EVEN 7 MONTHS AFTER RELEASE IT STILL DOES NOT WORK!!

Broken online mode means it's a lag fest, am I playing on a dial-up modem? Game has almost no changes from the original, no resolution options or anything like that or graphics options. Well why would it need graphics options? Well
    f*** me but they managed to botch the port so bad I get 20 FPS online WITH AN ATI 7950 AND A CORE I7 3.5GHZ, CRYSIS 3 RUNS BETTER THAN YOUR GAME, HOW THE HELL.

Last but not least, it's 20 dollars, and 10 dollars for the dlc. Yeah, how about you instead by yourselves starcraft 2 for 10 dollars more mkay? The developers of the DLC should be commended but we paid 20 DOLLARS ALREADY, WHY NOT GIVE THEM SOME OF THAT MONEY AND MAKE THE DLC FREE, MICROSOFT. You know I love you guys under all this awful PR lately but COME ON.

I have never seen, a more botched port of an old game in my life, at least with a lot of ports today it makes sense because they are just larger games, but this, there is no excuse...

This game gets a 2 because of how much they make you pay for a broken game. A game that you can pirate guilt freely and get the FREE MODDED DLC TO WORK WITH YOUR SYSTEM. Also, the new update, CHANGED THE MUSIC AND BROKE MY SAVE FILES. The only thing this game has is that when it is fixed and lets me choose the original freaking music, than it will be a fun game, but guess what, SEVEN MONTHS WE HAVE BEEN WAITING aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the new update added more crashing issues.

Now I came to this games defense when it was coming out, people were going on about how you can get forgotten empires (the now 10 dollar dlc for HD) for free to work on modern systems and an original copy of the game for a small price (free if you pirate, which you probably would because you probably bought the game anyway if you were defending it so who cares?.) I defended the game saying that the online and the HD port is the reason why..... Yeah I feel pretty stupid now.

Also, it isn't out on mac or linux, despite the original being on mac. Which I find hilarious.

So to recap:
    Broken Multiplayer (after the new update to ready for the DLC, it actually adds crashes to everything)
    Changed audio
    Horrid performance
    Lack of options
    Overpriced

Do I sound angry? Yeah I am, because microsoft botched my childhood almost as much as they botched this game.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    The original AOE2 was amazing in that it had very historical campaigns that made me enjoy learning about history. The graphics and gameplay were up to date for the time and it was one of the best games I ever played. I and my eight year old son moved on to AOE3 long ago and have enjoyed playing that together a lot. I thought I'd try to get this AOE2 HD version so that he could learn more about actual history as opposed to the "history lite" in AOE3.

Well I fire it up and my son says, "That looks terrible". The graphics really are not good. The interface stinks, just like the original AOE2. I was reminded of all the annoying micromanaging things that you had to do in AOE2 like create mining camps. The bottom line is that AOE2 HD seems just as dated as AOE2 does today. Will Microsoft please wise up and either create AOE4 or sell the rights to the franchise so someone else can? The fact that people are buying this polished turd is testament to how much latent demand is out there for this franchise.
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    I love, love, LOVED AoE2 and have owned it almost since it's release all those years ago. I like the fact that they brought out the defib to bring it back to life, but they really didn't do anything with it besides tack on a 20$ price tag. Everything the developers did with this release was already done with the Forgotten Empires mod, for free(Assuming you owned the original game). I can't in good faith give this game the 7+ rating I sincerely want to give it.

What really irks me is that it's been completely stripped of LAN. AoE2 was /THE/ game to lan party it up. Anyone that played it when it was still fresh knows what I'm talking about. This reeks of sacrificing the game to hit piracy. Something pretty much everyone condemns EA and their ilk for. It's not even successful, the game is still piratable and pirates can still play with eachother.

I really hope the developers at Hidden Path have more in store for us than what's been presented so far. Perhaps the Steam Workshop will kick the game into overdrive? It's always been an amazing game and still is an amazing game, it's just disappointing how they had so many opportunities to fix some of the problems with AoE2 but didn't capitalize on any of them, and instead just implemented the exact same changes already done in Forgotten Empires(Unit cap increase, higher resolution support, etc etc)
  8. Apr 10, 2013
    First of all, it's not HD, it's literally the same. The game itself has a lot of issues and many are complaining about it at Steam forum already. Multiplay is heavily bugged, just unplayable and the dev team has not said a word about it since. Don't buy this game.
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    Probably the worst HD edition ever. Don't waste your money on this. Obtain the original game with the patch.

The main menu displaces objects. The music is near the worst. The videos are not new nor better. The textures are not real HD.

Congratulations Microsoft.
  10. Apr 9, 2013
    I really can't understand why people love that series. I have never play a Age of Empires game. Because it has nothing special... I think these people haven't played Stronghold:Crusader. People just like it, because another people love it.
  11. gia
    Apr 10, 2013
    I can give aoe2 tc a 100, but aoe2 hd gets a 0. Too lazy. Nothing that was added works at all. They even took away from things that worked.
    New art is bad (water is ok), other users already have put (much) better texture packs thanks to workshop which shoul dhave been used more.
    Changed the order of display of the resources on the screen, bad decision since it doesn't give any benefit.

The game would probably need a source code release to fix completely.
    Did they update for modern systems? Five or four days before release their game only ran out of the box on win7 32bits, all the others had problems, win8 had a white screen if 32bit, black screen if 64, or something like that. They along with win7 64bits had to do some trickery to get their game to launch. Poor XP users couldn't launch at all because the game was not compiled for their system, Hidden Path managed to get the game to run on XP right before the official launch, but XP users couldn't benefit from the early release for pre-purchases that HP had offered.
    Not like that would have mattered much, players that could play complained then and still wait for a patch that will fix the "awful lag issue" where the fps of the game will drop like a brick if the game has any minimal amount of units running around (the sure fix is to play 1v1 with only 100 units), so upping the maximum unit count to 500, or even 1000 isn't of much practical use (also, the AI won't use over 200 units even if the game is set to 500, and according to HP it is expected behavior). There are desynchs too, with no fix. Saving and restoring a game doesn't work.
    Achievements are broken and random.
    Matchmaking is region-locked (some regions are empty), you must have players on your steam friend list or change your steam region settings. Friend or private only lobbies are in fact, public. So ready yourself to start kicking people left and right.
    The ladder system includes ALL game modes in the same ladder. RM, DM, you name it, despite some modes being able to complete games at a much faster rate. The ladder system is not very intuitive at best or broken at worst, win 15 games and get awarded 20, win three games and have a 3/2 record. The stats include any and all games played, so if you load a game with a friend for fooling around or test something, it will count too. The matchmaking is not very good on top so you have to first have people on your region, then get lucky the player doesn't rage quit early, then get lucky the game doesn't desynch, get lucky the player, whom didn't quit, was actually good at the game, meaning 30 minutes in they should have gone past dark age already!
    HP REMOVED the ping display, so you can't tell who is lagging in a game.
    The AI is the dumb AI, and will forfeit the game unless its played on anything but standard mode.
    Trebuchets will unpack one step before reaching their attack range, so they'll unpack and not fire at all.
    Hotkey changes don't load properly, you must, once in the game, load the hotkey menu for the hotkeys to load.
    Save game defaults to F12 but also Take screenshot.
    The mouse is not locked to the game screen so if you happen to move your mouse too much to the side you'll have problems with multiple monitors. HP claims this behavior was chosen by design.
    To change resolution you must change your Windows resolution (no ingame menu).
    Parts of the game load links on your default browser, others on Internet Explorer.
    "Portuguese, Chinese & Russian translation is very wrong"
    If your Steam name is too long the game will crash, you must shorten it.
    On the scenario editor when choosing exit to main menu, it will ask to save or not, if you choose no, it goes back and you are stuck in a loop. You need to save or force quit.
    Does not have version check, players with different patch versions can play a game, only for it to crash of course. Steam allows practically infinite patches.
    When playing "competitively", the game doesn't seem to care about workshop changes.
    A developer has stated the "beta testing" the community has done so far is easily worth 100k$ when hiring private entities.
    The developers are lucky they are getting 70s.
  12. Apr 24, 2013
    The game doesn't work. Multi-player starts, then gets out of sync instantly. To me, this means it's defective. (Yes I have forwarded the ports.) Lame.
  13. May 13, 2013
    Now I don't usually write reviews but i wanted to make it clear to potential buyers of the big issues this release has. The game is great but the lack of support the developers give to the game is shocking. Multiplayer is practically unplayable after 15mins due to lag/stutturing/desync and the support forum is ignored.

I would stay away till they give the game some love if they ever do.
  14. May 18, 2013
    It's a really bad game in comparison with both the original game and modern competitors. It introduced plenty of new bugs and the graphic quality is not improved at all.
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    I love AoE2! This HD version after so many years should have been way better.
    As another user on Steam said:
    Adding "official" 1080p support HD and does not demand a price of 20 euros.

Even people that loves this version of the game and is playing it happily had huge problems to make it run. For example, one of them told me on one of my posts at Steam about how he downloaded the game
    like 5 times over 6 hours while he was troubleshooting it.

To be able to change the resolution you have to change the resolution of the computer. And if you have some problem in your eyes, forget it! the Texture/image of the units is so bad that that or you have your computer on 800x600 or you will get a headache. Is that really an improvement to put the game up to date with newer systems?

The "start" screen where you can select what to do (play, change options, etc) looks worse than the "start" screen of the original game. That such a basic thing hasn't improve tells you what the general state of the game is.
    I actually sent an email to the developers and so far the only thing I got is an email of them telling me they were told to resend all feedback to Microsoft.

The only thing they put up to date with this game was their pockets. This is a franchise that has a huge fan base, they realized that if they tried to revive the game lots of people would buy it out of nostalgia and in hopes of having a gaming better experience than with the original one. And they have used the community as beta testers.
    It is an insult to the consumers and other Studios that make a point of releasing quality games but don't have such big fan base to profit from.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    AOE fans probably own two copes of AOE II: AOE II and Age of Kings. Then we get charged $20 for something that has already been done by the community? This is a joke. Dont waste your money, you can get resolution increases for free without the extra bugs.
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    This is literally the exact same game as age of empires 2. LITERALLY. They didn't change anything except the graphics, which look the same anyway. Don't spend 20 dollars buying a texture pack.
  18. Jul 28, 2013
    I pre-ordered the game, but never able to run it. I following the forums, read the reviews etc. but still no solution for me, and I'm not alone with this problem. This game is simply an unfinished patchwork. This game is ready when the Community is finishing it, until then avoid it, and buy the original.
  19. Aug 7, 2013
    I bought this remake to play it with friends online, but the game starts to lag after about 10 minutes and is unplayable. I thought it would have better graphics, but the only thing that changed is that it has a higher FOV.. and all this for only 20€
  20. Oct 5, 2013
    Do you know why there is a HD edition for the original AOE2? It is because the unofficial mod for the original AOE2, namely the Forgotten Empires, draw great attention upon its release. So, AOE2 still looks like a good CASH COW nowadays, and hence the born of this so-called "HD".

Original AOE2 with the unofficial mod already achieves what this $20 HD version offers, with the exception
    of only the minor graphic improvement. The unofficial mod is also becoming a official expansion for this HD version, may be another potential cash cow in future.

What a shame, this is only a cash-in product derived from the modding community.
  21. Sep 6, 2013
    The game is excellent and graphics awesome, but it is SUCH a shame there is no Mac version. Come on, the game is on Steam, what is it it cannot be shipped to Mac
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the weaker 'HD upgrades' out there. Certainly not worth the $20 asking price, and reasonable only when at $5 on Steam sale. It's the original game with bare-bones graphical adjustments for new monitors, but no real graphic enhancements to speak of. Basically a lazy product designed to milk money out of nostalgia. The game itself is fine. The enhancements are a joke.

Orctowngrot
  23. Oct 10, 2013
    Uh, I know... there will soon be Donkey Kong HD and Super Mario HD. Should those microsoft guys think about Age of Empires 4 instead of raising the dead?
  24. Oct 25, 2013
    As much as I would love to give a positive rating I can't! I grew up playing this game and have logged several thousand hours over the years. When I saw that it was remade for steam as an HD game I figured that they would have made some other important changes and added more to it. It's simply a repackaged game with the SAME coding as the original. The only positives are that the online matchmaking is simplified and that I can tab alt or play in windowed mode. Other than that this game is a slap in the face to anyone expecting changes. The multi-player engine still lags with that 1999 style (even with cable modem and quad core) and the game still freezes at wait screen before and during game. It also still goes out of sync...If you're a first time player I'd save your money for something else instead of paying for a repackaged game from 1999. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2013
    Can't even set the resolution

If you own a 1280x1024 monitor then this game will not even run at the native resolution and will run at a lower (and much blurrier) resolution than the orignal game did. As such this fails at the first hurdle. There is no support for the game and it's little more than a hacked binary and some with some previously free mods stacked on top.

As others have
    stated, even if you put aside the fact that the game is actually less stable than the original there are no beneficial changes, this is literally a just very lazy cash grab.

The real icing on the cake is that whenever you launch the game it will load a launcher app containing an embedded Internet Explorer window with many invalid links and a script error that you have to cancel before you can actually play the game. Avoid this at all costs.
  26. Jan 6, 2014
    Its exactly the same old Age of Empires, NOTHING new besides the horrible multiplayer with tons of bugs, lag (sometimes about 2 seconds of delay) and connection problems. A lot of people cant play because 10 seconds after the game starts, every player get disconnected because someone is "out of sinc".

Dont buy it, just play the old Age of Empires with hamachi, there are not dedicated
    servers, so its really the same. Expand
  27. Jun 12, 2014
    Just overrated game, there is nothing HD in this game, its purely hoax and a big lie. it only zooms out that you cant even see any units and call it HD

Mixed emotions, overall. On the one hand we have the same graphics, not at all improved. On the other, Steam offers functional multiplayer and workshop support, that breathe life into an old game. [May 2013]
  2. May 13, 2013
    Let me make a list of all the changes introduced in the HD version of Age of Empires II - higher resolution. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.77]
  3. May 5, 2013
    Unfortunately Age of Empires II HD isn't a very impressive update. It disappoints graphically and not much has been done to improve or modernize it. The gameplay is still strong though, and Age of Empires II still shows how balanced and detailed strategy games can be. With the addition of the Steam Workshop there's enough potential here for the game to be given a new look. Too bad this is left up to the players though.