9.0

1. Dec 22, 2011
    The fact that I still play it today with friends and still have an awesome time shows how amazing this game is. And yes I got it in 1999 for my birthday. Every area of the game is superb. Lots of campaigns, map editor, easy LAN play. It is much better with the Conquerors expansion of course but is still one of the best games I have ever played.
  2. Nov 25, 2010
    This has to be the most complete game ever made. It's entertainment factor is off the charts, it's educational, it's historically accurate, appropriate for all ages and still perfect for anyone to play. It's old, but who cares, it's great. We can't count the entertainment life of this game in hours, it has to be counted in years. I've been playing this game for over 10 years, on and off through other games but I never get bored. It's also not very demanding and cheap so it's essentially available to anyone. Honestly this is the only game that deserves a perfect note because everything is perfect about it: Single Player, Multiplayer, Map editor, Entertainment factor, Game life, Educational values, Soundtrack and A.I.

Buy it, hell buy 3 copies of it only to encourage its wonderful producers.
  3. Sep 13, 2011
    This has to be the best age of empires. I am able to build walls around half the map,(i have done it),the graphics may be sloppy. but game play is AMAZING!!!!!!
  4. Oct 11, 2010
    One of the best PC games ever! It's fun, historical, and the music is epic! I always play it whenever I have the chance these days to forget about that awful Age of Empires III game.
  5. Dec 22, 2010
    The greatest RTS game ever made, by far. The game play is excellent and it fails to make me bored of it. This is a game that must be played by anyone who enjoys RTS games. Graphics do not mean anything in a game, however for its time the graphics are nice and are fine even for this day and age. If the random map games get boring for some strange reason, there is also a very large amount of campaigns between AoK and the expansion to keep you occupied. Expand
  6. Mar 3, 2011
    This is one of the best games you will ever play. It is fun, addictive and even historically accurate! Its got unique historical civilistations all with their own unique unit and civ bonus the map editor give the potential to wages seiges against castles and make your own fun maps. The graphics ever though they are older don't let the game down in anyway. A very balanced game the city building and civilasation evolotuion is just as important as burning you enemy to the ground. This game is a must buy forget age of empires 3 thats good but this is better! when i say this i a must buy i mean it go on amazon now and buy it! i comand you! Expand
  7. Apr 10, 2011
    Probably the best designed RTS in the history of gaming. Age of Empires was good, Age of Kings is a vast improvement. The campaign in of itself is awesome and perfectly cinematic. But the real beauty is the map editor, which is so simple to use, even a novice can create their own maps. The modding community has created some of the most breathtaking campaign stories I've ever seen in all of gaming, hell, they've made RPGs out of this game's engine. Even a decade later the community is still strong, hundreds of players are online every day for matches. Expand
  8. Oct 28, 2011
    This game is a classic. Even though its one of the older games in the series I still think it is the best. Absolute gem of a game. There have been many games of this type brought out since its release and very few have come close, even with todays superior graphics not much has touched this game in this genre. If you havent played this go and get it now.
  9. Aug 27, 2011
    Probably one of the best RTS games of all time. First it is very stable and had fairly good graphics for its time. Age of empires 2 has plenty of cultures to choose from and the many different options for Armies. It has the 5 Campaigns which are highly historically accurate and Fun. The Great Map editor that comes with it, makes customization easy. Great game.
  10. Sep 15, 2013
    Easily the best RTS game in history. Easy to get the hang of, impossible to completely master. Great gameplay balance, wide variety of gameplay options, lots of strategy involved, excellent campaigns based on real life events (I actually learned some cool stuff while playing this!) great graphics, especially considering the face that this thing is 14 years old, surprisingly good AI, and a very easy to use map editor for creating custom campaigns and scenarios. Combine all this with a devoted fanbase and a huge list of great mods to try out, and AOE II is a perfect game. Expand
  11. Apr 6, 2012
    This is a great game made by Ensamble Studios and Microsoft Company.Graphic was perfect in time when it had been released.I've spent hours and hours playing campaigns and custom scenarios.Good web site for this game is www.aokheaven.com where you can find a tons of mods,custom scenarios and custom campaigns.Game campaigns are made by real history persons and happenings but on mentioned web site you will find some custom campaigns which had been made by etc. Britain so it says that Sir John Fastolf won all of his battles against Joan of Arc but in real history he died in first of his comanding his cavarly and in Age of Empires II : The Age of Kings , in Joan of Arc's campaign that is in 3rd scenario which is very very hard. Expand
  12. Apr 27, 2012
    One of the best of all times! I still want to play even now. Multiplayer experience was unbelievable. It will never be forgotten. %100 well balanced gameplay.
  13. May 18, 2012
    10 years have passed since I lead Japanese nation towards victory against the Vikings and the Persian. I decided to play this game after so many years have passed. It reminds me how this game could make hours of my weekend vanished. Nothing could expressed my admiration to this game. Best RTS game of all time? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
  14. Aug 13, 2012
    An amazing strategic game, that will grow on you. It's just perfect, because it doesn't have a single problem, and It's fun, really fun. Both, single player and multiplayer are amazing. And I had fun in Map Editor, making your own mission is awesome. 100 out of 100.
  15. Aug 21, 2012
    This is definitely the best RTS of all time! Great graphics,excellent gameplay,great balance between the factions and it's historicly correct! Too bad the sequels were crappy...Age of Empires III was good,but Age of Empires Online is very,very bad... What were they thinking?!
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    This game is perfectly-balanced tactical game that i kept playing for almost 13 years.. There's only a few other RTS that simple and fun. Although its graphics are obsolete, units still can be differentiated from one another unlike many of modern strategy games. It's a milestone in RTS World. If it were served in a higher resolution like 19200x1200 i could be still playing it today..
  17. Jan 20, 2013
    This is the first strategy game i've and let me tell you it is also the best. Creating your own army and destroying other cities gives you a great pleasure and becoming stronger and stronger till you dominate the world!
  18. Jul 15, 2013
    Years and years later and this is still the best RTS out there! If you're looking at buying the HD edition do it. Let's just say this game is so good that a community for it exists years and years later, and there was enough outcry that they remade it.
  19. Feb 11, 2014
    More than a decade after it launched, I still enjoy a game of AoE 2. There's just something so incredibly gratifying about it. I wound up purchasing the reissued version on Steam, but truth be told it wasn't all that great of an update. If MGS and Ensemble would have just rebuilt it from the ground up with improved graphics and a rebirthed matchmaking system, I'd be much more likely to play JUST AoE2. This game is truly a classic. Expand
  20. May 11, 2012
    Hours of fun? Yes. Masterpiece? Yes. Age of Empires 2 is a RTS that rocks, in many ways. The game haves a really great strategy, and the graphics are great. It is classic, and extremely fun. A great sequel and a masterpiece. (9.9)
  21. May 20, 2012
    There are things you never forget and this game, at least for me, is one of those. Outstanding graphics, which are pleasure to look at even today, perfect game play, great campaigns and lovable units. I am proud to have Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings and its expansion Conquerors between my TOP3 RTS games together with first Stronghold and Starcraft.
  22. Jun 20, 2012
    The best strategy game of all time. Graphics are telling of 1990's but the RTS element in this game is second to none. Several campaigns, especially with the expansion pack. Delivers one of the best single player experiences I have ever had along with a stellar multiplayer. The ultimate RTS classic and an inspiration to the genre. R.I.P. Ensemble Studios.
  23. Jul 22, 2012
    best rts game eVER!!!!!!!!!. I start play this game 2000 and i still play this game with my friends. i dont are pro in this game but i dont are still full noob =). i play today with Conquerors expansion it better.sorry very bad english
  24. Mar 21, 2013
    Great game. I got this game last year and it is just soo fun. The graphics are nothing special but the gameplay is very good. If you get the conquerors expansion it just gets better. They are making Age of Empires 2 HD for steam so you should get it when it comes out. It will revive the awesome multiplayer
  25. Jul 4, 2013
    first computer game I ever played, at the time my parents computer could barely handle it. picked it up at Wall-Mart for 10 bucks a while back just for some good memories. STILL love this game, the bad graphics and music/sound affects was exactly what I was looking for. think in 10 years I could play it and still be thrilled. not a bad pick up for the money if you want a classic RTS, easy to play and you will be able to dump hours and hours into gameplay. WARNING!! if you have trouble playing with windows 7 look it up on Google or whatever because its a real easy fix. happy gaming Expand
  26. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the best RTS games ever made. Historical campaigns and lots of battles. This game was the first time I was really exposed to history and I am now a history major at college. With the release of Age of Empires II HD Edition definitely worth going back to.
  27. Oct 23, 2013
    An ultimate masterpiece, that totally revolutionized the genre and putted the game in mainstream attention. Not only did it amaze me with it's possibilities of making strategy, but it addicted me with it's great progression of gameplay.
    This game can get complicated when you have full control of your army and your resources progression, but it feels immersive, because you feel like a
    powerful strategist. It never felt in a game so rewarding preparing your army for battle, upgrading your buildings and progression, and, of course, performing the strategy that you planned.
    So, the core gameplay is like this: you choose what people you want, you collect your resources, you progress through ages providing you with new important upgrades for combat and ecomony, you build your army and then when the plan comes together, you attack. To do this, you need precise intelligence skills and great patience.
    Age of Empires II is the best strategy game ever made, that will definitely entertain you. (10.00)
  28. Nov 9, 2013
    What is there to say about this one? Hands down the best game I have ever played. Fantastic atmosphere, great campaign, superb gameplay. Everything just clicked in this game. I was too young when it came out to explore the online part of the game, but the historical single player was something that would be impossible to find in today's RTS games. The nostalgia and happy childhood memories I get every time I think of this game is like nothing else. Expand
  29. Dec 23, 2013
    The best strategy computer game all over. And played since ages after beeing published! But multiplayer connection lacked a lots of time, but maybe you can't compare 1997 with 2014. I am very happy that this game exists and played it maybe more than 300 or 400 hours. Thanks!
  30. Mar 17, 2014
    A classic RTS, they improved from Age of Empires and just made it soo much better. I totally recommend this game to anybody. It's simple yet difficult but always extremely fun.
  31. Mar 24, 2014
    It's just so goood. I enjoy playing this much more than any other RTS game, because it has more heart and soul and charm. Do you need fancy graphics to enjoy chess? Maybe if the pieces were ultra realistic statues that could move like in that Harry Potter movie. The AOE2 gameplay is perfect, love this game.

1. Simply an awesome game - great in historical imagery, solid in sound and game play, and a lot of fun to play. The Age of Kings deserves its title.
  2. It’s not a significant improvement as far as gameplay and graphics, but it does help further the claim of AOE as a solid gaming title and a quality multiplayer game. The originality may be gone, but the idea lives on.
  3. I never got into the original game, yet I find AoE II enchanting. The sheer depth of the technology tree and evolution of the civilisation are always a surprise. I particularly like the intuitive logic that makes battles more tactical.