6.0

1. May 10, 2014
    Pretty sad bottom line for a remake. Adds nothing of value to the original. Having to pay $30 for the addition of community mods that are available for free is a disgrace. 8/10 for the game itself which is a pretty good RTS , 0/10 for the low move from MS studios. Buy the Gold Edition for less than $10 and save yourselves the trouble.
  2. May 11, 2014
    Let me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time. This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken since clearly no one bothered to test the game after they made their changes. Some missions on the campaign simply cannot be beaten without using cheats now because of broken units.

As for the changes themselves, the water does look pretty. But I probably wouldn't have even noticed changed it i hadn't already known. There is absolutely NO NEW CONTENT added, it is just a rehash. I would hope they would at least do something to the horrible path finding and unit commands but apparently they could not be bothered to do that much work.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
    10/10 for the original game
    1/10 for getting people to pay twice for the exact same thing
  3. May 15, 2014
    Age of Mythology, one of my favorite games of all time. When I tested it back then, I felt it's uniqueness and as I progressed further into the game, I loved it even more. Then the expansion came in... My god was it good: a new race, with three different titan gods and new minor gods for those, (apart from the unique units and game system of the new race), the ability to raise titans themselves, and a new campaign. I've been playing it until very recently, but unfortunately the multiplayer stopped working for me, and the support I could get couldn't explain the issue, so it was me against the A.I, which was a little boring.

Then I saw this announced and knowing what they initially did with age of empires II hd (which was barely functional on my then recently armed PC) I decided to take a look on the new features and I liked them: there was a little graphical improvement, optimization for the online system through steam, and a night-day cycle. The widescreen support followed by the steam matchmaking system and multiplayer should be enough to justify the remake, right? Well no when the game is 30$! Just like with AoE II HD, Microsoft seemed to be out on the hunt of cash again, so this time I wanted to know and seeing it had been already posted in several sites I downloaded it in order to see the technical issues it bore and if it was really a remake worth of being called a remake. Expecting the worse I booted it and... surprise! it run smooth as silk, had a bunch of new graphical options (FXAA, SSAO, High quality Shadows...), widescreen support, and the minimum changes were appealing (new terrain, and water textures, light rays, redone door textures to match the race they belonged to...) so... It's a nice remake... It runs nice... WHY ON EARTH DO YOU CHARGE IT FOR MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL GAME??! TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM BUYING IT?! AoM cost me 20 bucks when I bought it in the same year of its release, in a stand of my town, with the official box, officially labeled, perfect conditions, perfectly sealed... and the expansion cost me 7.99 bucks! it says it in the cover!! why in the hell do you charge 30 bucks for a game that 12 years ago cost me 27.99, if it was 10 bucks It would be on my possession right now, if it were 15, i would be thinking about it and i'd probably had bought it, but for 30 bucks? hell no!, maybe I'll buy it after it lowers down 10 bucks or less, or maybe I just wont buy it and keep playing the original, because you're starting to seriously piss me off after AoE II HD and "the forgotten empires"
  4. Jun 15, 2014
    I didn't see too much of an improvement over the OLD original game, besides the mild update on the graphics. $30 is almost criminal to charge for this. You would have expected something for that like new maps, races etc.

MEH...
  5. Jun 13, 2014
    the people responsable for this travesty are doubtlessly a bunch of souless hacks fishing for a cashgrabb without having to do any effort whatsoever. they took a good old school game, made it worst and re-released it at an awfully high price. THIS IS A SHAMEFULL DISPLAY
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    What a waste, i just wasted my time and money, this game is not even close to be optimized for a new pc, i have a pc with core i5 4th generation 8 gb ram and intel hd 4000 graphics, and this game is just full of lag, they dont even care about the performance and the graphics are not HD, i just threw $30 dollars
  7. Sep 27, 2014
    Bull **** game
    after 12 yrs the game is super badly upgraded
    water is nice but land is 'lost'!
    Shame aomx is still better than extended edition
    I think i must learn animation and then do something good of this game

1. Jul 25, 2014
    Extended Edition is addictive, but owes it to the brilliance of Ensemble (the developers of the original AoM), not SkyBox, who basically put their name under someone else’s work after introducing changes so marginal that you might not even notice them. [07/2014, p.70]
  2. May 27, 2014
    Such derring-do from developers. They grabbed an excellent strategy game, they broke the most important part of it, and they are selling its outcome for a ungodly price. A copybook remake of how to not redo the old games. It's a great disappointment indeed.
  3. May 19, 2014
    Age of Mythology: Extended Edition is an excellent strategy game in its core. The scanty treatment it got for this Extended Edition makes this pretty disappointing. A few additions and graphical updates don't justify the high price tag.