6.1

1. Jun 13, 2014
    the people responsable for this travesty are doubtlessly a bunch of souless hacks fishing for a cashgrabb without having to do any effort whatsoever. they took a good old school game, made it worst and re-released it at an awfully high price. THIS IS A SHAMEFULL DISPLAY
  2. Jun 15, 2014
    I didn't see too much of an improvement over the OLD original game, besides the mild update on the graphics. $30 is almost criminal to charge for this. You would have expected something for that like new maps, races etc.

MEH...
  3. May 11, 2014
    Let me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time. This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken sinceLet me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time. This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken since clearly no one bothered to test the game after they made their changes. Some missions on the campaign simply cannot be beaten without using cheats now because of broken units.

As for the changes themselves, the water does look pretty. But I probably wouldn't have even noticed changed it i hadn't already known. There is absolutely NO NEW CONTENT added, it is just a rehash. I would hope they would at least do something to the horrible path finding and unit commands but apparently they could not be bothered to do that much work.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
    10/10 for the original game
    1/10 for getting people to pay twice for the exact same thing
  4. May 10, 2014
    Pretty sad bottom line for a remake. Adds nothing of value to the original. Having to pay $30 for the addition of community mods that are available for free is a disgrace. 8/10 for the game itself which is a pretty good RTS , 0/10 for the low move from MS studios. Buy the Gold Edition for less than $10 and save yourselves the trouble.
  5. May 15, 2014
    Age of Mythology, one of my favorite games of all time. When I tested it back then, I felt it's uniqueness and as I progressed further into the game, I loved it even more. Then the expansion came in... My god was it good: a new race, with three different titan gods and new minor gods for those, (apart from the unique units and game system of the new race), the ability to raise titansAge of Mythology, one of my favorite games of all time. When I tested it back then, I felt it's uniqueness and as I progressed further into the game, I loved it even more. Then the expansion came in... My god was it good: a new race, with three different titan gods and new minor gods for those, (apart from the unique units and game system of the new race), the ability to raise titans themselves, and a new campaign. I've been playing it until very recently, but unfortunately the multiplayer stopped working for me, and the support I could get couldn't explain the issue, so it was me against the A.I, which was a little boring.

Then I saw this announced and knowing what they initially did with age of empires II hd (which was barely functional on my then recently armed PC) I decided to take a look on the new features and I liked them: there was a little graphical improvement, optimization for the online system through steam, and a night-day cycle. The widescreen support followed by the steam matchmaking system and multiplayer should be enough to justify the remake, right? Well no when the game is 30$! Just like with AoE II HD, Microsoft seemed to be out on the hunt of cash again, so this time I wanted to know and seeing it had been already posted in several sites I downloaded it in order to see the technical issues it bore and if it was really a remake worth of being called a remake. Expecting the worse I booted it and... surprise! it run smooth as silk, had a bunch of new graphical options (FXAA, SSAO, High quality Shadows...), widescreen support, and the minimum changes were appealing (new terrain, and water textures, light rays, redone door textures to match the race they belonged to...) so... It's a nice remake... It runs nice... WHY ON EARTH DO YOU CHARGE IT FOR MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL GAME??! TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM BUYING IT?! AoM cost me 20 bucks when I bought it in the same year of its release, in a stand of my town, with the official box, officially labeled, perfect conditions, perfectly sealed... and the expansion cost me 7.99 bucks! it says it in the cover!! why in the hell do you charge 30 bucks for a game that 12 years ago cost me 27.99, if it was 10 bucks It would be on my possession right now, if it were 15, i would be thinking about it and i'd probably had bought it, but for 30 bucks? hell no!, maybe I'll buy it after it lowers down 10 bucks or less, or maybe I just wont buy it and keep playing the original, because you're starting to seriously piss me off after AoE II HD and "the forgotten empires"
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    What a waste, i just wasted my time and money, this game is not even close to be optimized for a new pc, i have a pc with core i5 4th generation 8 gb ram and intel hd 4000 graphics, and this game is just full of lag, they dont even care about the performance and the graphics are not HD, i just threw $30 dollars
  7. Jan 3, 2015
    Another low budget piece of junk from Ensemble Studio. I have computer science education and have near 20 year experiences playing RTS games and let me tell you why this is a low budget piece of junk. I have played so many RTS games and never have seen a game where the hardest level is unplayable to me. It is obvious the game designers have never played the Titan level because it is simplyAnother low budget piece of junk from Ensemble Studio. I have computer science education and have near 20 year experiences playing RTS games and let me tell you why this is a low budget piece of junk. I have played so many RTS games and never have seen a game where the hardest level is unplayable to me. It is obvious the game designers have never played the Titan level because it is simply not playable. This is due to the low budget nature of this game and the developers have not enough time to test the game's balance. Normally within 5-10 minutes of the game, you are rushed with pre-built(not built within time frame of the game) large group of enemies, which is all but impossible to beat due to the short time frame. What is worse, sometimes this large group of enemy appears within about 5 minutes, in which time you have built less than 10 workers! To make things worse, the AI has infinite resources and every 5 minutes it sends you a large group of enemies, but on your side, you have finite resources which means even if you manage to beat the first few waves, you exhaust your resources within less than 30 minutes but AI has infinite resources, the waves the AI sends you are infinite. The whole thing is ill designed.

Also, the games has appalling routing algorithm and units often get stuck on map. Also controlling the units are very clumsy, for example the "attack move" move which is the bread and butter of the RTS games does not seem to work. It either worked like normal move or gets the units stuck. From these details you can definitely tell this is a low budget rushed product. Age of Empire 3 from the same company is about the same type of low budget junk.
  8. Sep 27, 2014
    Bull **** game
    after 12 yrs the game is super badly upgraded
    water is nice but land is 'lost'!
    Shame aomx is still better than extended edition
    I think i must learn animation and then do something good of this game
  9. Dec 22, 2014
    I was about to buy this until I read the reviews. I have bought loads of games from steam but these makeovers do tend to be very superficial and the games have serious problems as described. I liked the original but unless this game is patched I will keep my money as recommended by some critics here and on steam.
  10. Feb 5, 2015
    A timeless classic, one of the best games ever. But this "remake" is a joke. People have trouble getting multiplayer to work, the game doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly as it should, horrendous optimisation and NO noticeable graphics improvement. Basically a scam. Only buy if you really love the game or haven't played it before, and at very low price.

1. Jul 25, 2014
    Extended Edition is addictive, but owes it to the brilliance of Ensemble (the developers of the original AoM), not SkyBox, who basically put their name under someone else’s work after introducing changes so marginal that you might not even notice them. [07/2014, p.70]
  2. May 27, 2014
    Such derring-do from developers. They grabbed an excellent strategy game, they broke the most important part of it, and they are selling its outcome for a ungodly price. A copybook remake of how to not redo the old games. It's a great disappointment indeed.
  3. May 19, 2014
    Age of Mythology: Extended Edition is an excellent strategy game in its core. The scanty treatment it got for this Extended Edition makes this pretty disappointing. A few additions and graphical updates don't justify the high price tag.