8.9

1. Nov 20, 2014
    Age of Mythology is a classic game, but I always remember it with some sadness. For it was the last of the golden age of RTS (real-time strategy) games. This is the capstone to that Era. Because it was released as the fervor for RTS was dying out, it never got the respect that it deserved. With colorful characters, great music, and fun effects such as a Minotaur knocking a soldierAge of Mythology is a classic game, but I always remember it with some sadness. For it was the last of the golden age of RTS (real-time strategy) games. This is the capstone to that Era. Because it was released as the fervor for RTS was dying out, it never got the respect that it deserved. With colorful characters, great music, and fun effects such as a Minotaur knocking a soldier through the air, the game had charm, action, strategy. An exceptionally well-made game. Expand
  2. Oct 1, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece it almost never gets old and its extremely fun every time i play it(i wish there was a age of mythology 2 that would be awesome)
  3. Sep 22, 2014
    This was my one of my very few childhood gems. The campaign is well thought out and is a good guide to the games fundamentals. However what sold me was editor mode, the re-playability was endless it was literally my very own sandbox. I created kingdoms, villages, re-enacted battles could pretty much do anything!

10/10 Worth the money and your time!
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    An undisputed RTS classic, "Age of Mythology" was truly epic back in 2002. Nowadays, it's still one of the best RTS games ever, better even than many today's choices.
  5. May 11, 2014
    Let me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time.

This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken

This reboot, however, is simply pitiful.

Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken since clearly no one bothered to test the game after they made their changes. Some missions on the campaign simply cannot be beaten without using cheats now because of broken units.

As for the changes themselves, the water does look pretty. But I probably wouldn't have even noticed changed it i hadn't already known. There is absolutely NO NEW CONTENT added, it is just a rehash. I would hope they would at least do something to the horrible path finding and unit commands but apparently they could not be bothered to do that much work.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
    10/10 for the original game
    1/10 for getting people to pay twice for the exact same thing
  6. May 8, 2014
    It's my favourite game, I played the campaign a lot of times and i played with my friends in LAN, I think this game has a very good meaning of strategy and fun. I really love this game
  7. May 8, 2014
    What can I really say now (with the Extended Edition) that someone didn't already know from old reviews? I'd say: I'm glad this game came back and now is upgraded a bit on Steam in terms of visuals and integration with Steam and multiplayer. Definitely the same hours of enjoyment seen it's decade old classic.

+ AoE2 HD was an excellent re-addition; if you loved that, you'd love this. +

+ AoE2 HD was an excellent re-addition; if you loved that, you'd love this.
    + If you played AoM a long time ago, this will tickle your nostalgia feels in all the right places

AoM will definitely please veterans and can please RTS enthusiasts. This game was extremely fun online then, I can only imagine it now on Steam!

I wonder now if AoE1 will be put in HD and if AoE3 will be updated (since its already on steam). x)
  8. May 7, 2014
    This is my favorite game. I cannot review it honestly because our history together, but I would sell my soul to the devil to play Age of Mythology for the rest of eternity. From its simple, beautiful aesthetics, to the balance and level of complexity of its multiplayer metagame, everything about Age of Mythology enthralls me. As a fan of the first 2 Age of Empires, I purchased the originalThis is my favorite game. I cannot review it honestly because our history together, but I would sell my soul to the devil to play Age of Mythology for the rest of eternity. From its simple, beautiful aesthetics, to the balance and level of complexity of its multiplayer metagame, everything about Age of Mythology enthralls me. As a fan of the first 2 Age of Empires, I purchased the original AoM game in 2002 on not much more than a whim, but since then I have yet to find any other game that has sucked up as many hours of my life. To this day it remains one of my go-to games even after the collapse of its multiplayer. I highly recommend it to any fan of Age games, or strategy games in general. Expand
  9. May 7, 2014
    This game simply put was the best RTS I have ever played. Above all the game play is exceptional. The graphics are easy on the eyes. The music is so good you won't want to mute it.
  10. Apr 14, 2014
    Единственная стратегия которую я полюбил. Я очень долго мечтал чтобы эта игра вышла в Steam и это свершилось!
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    Best. RTS. Ever.

But seriously, every time I think of an amazing RTS, I think of this game. The game play is fantastic and it's just an all around fun game.
  12. Apr 10, 2014
    Um um dos jogos maravilhosos do meu passado! A minha avaliação é baseada na versão antiga, que era perfeita! Agora com essa nova versão com gráficos remodelados, imagino que o game vai ser sucesso novamente com a nova geração de jogadores. Algo que me desagradou foi o preço, a Steam deveria colocar esse game bem mais barato, acho que todos nós deveríamos cobrar isso deles!
  13. Apr 5, 2014
    This game has a solid amount of strategy to it. Players can choose from 3 (4 with the expansion) different factions, which each have different units, powers, play styles, and overall ways to achieve victory. Missions could vary slightly more, but the game is focused on building a base, assembling units and forces, and destroying your enemy.
    Overall, an accurate display of an idea, and one
    Overall, an accurate display of an idea, and one of the perfect examples of a solid and well thought out RTS.
  14. Apr 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game this game is my childhood i will buy this :D i love this game soooooo much thanks for bring this game to us :D :D Expand
  15. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 6 out of 10, Value: 9 out of 10
  16. Jan 19, 2014
    This is by far my favorite game of all time. I spent my entire childhood playing this game. Like any other "Age of" game by ensemble studios and microsoft studios, there is leveling up. However, in Age of Mythology, you get god powers from leveling up throughout the ages. there are four ages to level up to, (five if you have the titans expansion) all of which you choose which Minor God youThis is by far my favorite game of all time. I spent my entire childhood playing this game. Like any other "Age of" game by ensemble studios and microsoft studios, there is leveling up. However, in Age of Mythology, you get god powers from leveling up throughout the ages. there are four ages to level up to, (five if you have the titans expansion) all of which you choose which Minor God you wish to worship. Worshiping and minor god provides you with new Myth Units, which you can train from your Temple, and god powers. (In the titans expansion at the 5th age you get a titan gate, which lets you build a structure that releases a titan which is basically one big super-unit, but isnt too over-powering.) Like I said above, I spent literally my whole childhood playing this game, singleplayer against bots, the campaign, both amazing experiences, and before Microsoft shut down the servers for AoM, the online community was great. During the campaign you follow an Atlantean Hero, Arkantos, who at first defends Atlantis from a bandit attack, it doesnt seem like much, but then the bandits steal the trident from the statue of Poseidon. Arkantos takes a few soldiers with him and chases after the bandits and their known leader, Kamos. You find Kamos and fight him, and defeat him, only for him to get away, but even though he gets away you take the trident back. The rest of the campaign goes into detail about Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythology, and follows Arkantos as he sets out on a quest to ensure that the titan Kronos does not escape from his prison in Tartarus, by keeping all the Tartarian gates closed despite the fruitless effort of Kronos' followers. This game has quite a few plot twists, (which are for the better) and it has a very compelling story. I absolutely love this game, and I think many people who like RTS's would enjoy it as well. Expand
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    When I first played this game, I went into it thinking, "Wow, what a fresh new concept!" This thought was brought along because I had never played AoE before. Having played both now, I'm going to hand my vote of favored game to Age Of Mythology, simply for how easy it was to pick up and start right away.

The campaign was interesting, though predictable at times. The mythological

The campaign was interesting, though predictable at times. The mythological integration is iffy though if you're a studier/ fan of Greek myths. Some of the things were a little iffy from that front.

One of the features I enjoyed about the game was the integration of monsters. While they could be the most powerful pieces on the battlefield, they were highly vulnerable to certain units. This helped in balancing it out nicely so that even if you had an army of Minotaurs, you needed to have some archers of something of the sort to ward off any spear men from killing off your "unstoppable horde".

A solid 9 from me, detracting 1 point only because as one user pointed out, it is not an original concept, and primarily is a reskinning of AoE. Doesn't make it bad by any means, but one must give credit where credit is due.
  18. Oct 3, 2013
    All about this game is great. The next step in history game play in RTS game. Very dynamic, every faction is balanced and the multi player experiences is huge,. played this game for 10 years and i have yet to see another as good rts as this one
  19. GMD
    Jun 29, 2013
    The Best Strategy Game I ever played. First I played AOM when I was 9 years old And it was AWESOME then and it is AWESOME now. 19 years old one. The only thing I cant understand why them stopped improving game? AOM 2 AOM 3 AOM 78
  20. May 5, 2013
    Being a big fan of mythology, this game is just great, and if you add the titans expansion, well it's the icing on the cake. Maybe it's just me, but I believe this to be the best of the Age games. The graphics are good, the campaigns are very enjoyable and also re-playable, for you can do things different each time, and the random map game-play will keep you entertained for hours on end.Being a big fan of mythology, this game is just great, and if you add the titans expansion, well it's the icing on the cake. Maybe it's just me, but I believe this to be the best of the Age games. The graphics are good, the campaigns are very enjoyable and also re-playable, for you can do things different each time, and the random map game-play will keep you entertained for hours on end. Furthermore, if you have the patience, you can create your own maps and even add night/day cycles to them. I have nothing negative to say about this game. It's one of the best I've ever played. 10/10. Expand
  21. Feb 20, 2013
    The greatest RTS game i have ever played. A great campaign that has incredible replay value, a great multiplayer mode that is fun even with CPU's, and perfect gameplay with little to no flaws. Pick this game up for probably under 15 dollars (Released in 2002) and you will love it.
  22. Jan 21, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Age of series. In fact, i played only couple of them and liked them, but there wasn't something that made me keep coming back. But Age of Mythology took my attention and I love this game even today and can replay whole campaign right after Nox. Game got my attention not by it's realism or story that based on real events, hell no, this game is pure magic that kindaI'm not a big fan of Age of series. In fact, i played only couple of them and liked them, but there wasn't something that made me keep coming back. But Age of Mythology took my attention and I love this game even today and can replay whole campaign right after Nox. Game got my attention not by it's realism or story that based on real events, hell no, this game is pure magic that kinda based on actual story, but with Cyclopses, Colossuses (is that right?) and freaking Gods. All right, first things first, story is really good, it develops slow, but when you will reach Egypt levels plot will surprise you with some cool bad-ass moments and twists. Gameplay is your basic Age of mechanic, but here you also have power of Gods, you can unlock 4 unique abilities and by gaining, you know, God's love, you can create such creatures as Giants, Trolls, Cyclopses and other cool monsters. There's 4 different cultures and each of them are actually different and unique, trust me, because of that replay value is very high. My only complain is that story is REALLY slow and you will be bored of it by the chapter 20. There are bad-ass moments, but also tons of useless and forgettable ones. Other than that, game is just about perfect. Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2012
    Simply one of the best RTS games and one of the best games of all time! It is fantastic! Great graphics, perfect balance and really, really fun gameplay! It has a fun and long singleplayer campain which is rare today and an awesome multiplayer with almost no lags or errors, also the game is 99.99% free of bugs!
  24. Aug 6, 2012
    As as big fan of mythology, I naturally loved this game. It follows the basic Age of Empires gameplay pattern but spices it up by not just having swordsmen and catapults but also minotaurs and sphinxes, as well as a compliment of "god powers" which can do everything from increasing food production for a time to causing massive earthquakes. The story was pretty good for an RTS game, and IAs as big fan of mythology, I naturally loved this game. It follows the basic Age of Empires gameplay pattern but spices it up by not just having swordsmen and catapults but also minotaurs and sphinxes, as well as a compliment of "god powers" which can do everything from increasing food production for a time to causing massive earthquakes. The story was pretty good for an RTS game, and I enjoyed the epic arc spanning multiple civilizations and heroes. I've played through this game several times already, and having been a couple year since the last time, I think I'm due for another play-thru soon! Expand
  25. Jun 25, 2012
    Very simple and easy to understand. It's fun, and the best thing is that it's so varied in terms of the campaign's levels and maps. Greek, Egyptian and Norse each have three gods with different abilities. The gameplay is simple, fun and to add to the compelling story is the beautiful soundtrack. The levels have great variety and complement the story. It's not copy and pasting the sameVery simple and easy to understand. It's fun, and the best thing is that it's so varied in terms of the campaign's levels and maps. Greek, Egyptian and Norse each have three gods with different abilities. The gameplay is simple, fun and to add to the compelling story is the beautiful soundtrack. The levels have great variety and complement the story. It's not copy and pasting the same mission or objective over and over. I don't like the RTS genre but Age of Mythology couldn't be improved in any way or make the genre more appealing if it tried. There is a world creator which allows you to create your own levels and use all items and characters available. The skirmish mode is quick and easy to set up, and very fun to play regardless of your skill level and how you play the game. The campaign is by far the best part of this game though. Not only are the characters done well and the story being long, engaging and a varied adventure, but the level design, gameplay and of course, the excellent and fitting soundtrack come together to deliver one of the greatest gaming experiences- for 2002 anyway. I highly recommend this game even today, since graphics aren't that important in RTS, but Age of Mythology does have good lighting, but poor textures. Expand
  26. Jun 7, 2012
    Amazing game for its time. Age of Mythology is easily my favorite RTS game of all time! Its so much fun, many hours have gone by because of this game and I'm happy with that. It passed the test of time and is still just as fun as it was to play 10 years ago. If your a coumpter gamer, or if you have a some what new pc (you should be able to play this game on any recent pc, not just gamingAmazing game for its time. Age of Mythology is easily my favorite RTS game of all time! Its so much fun, many hours have gone by because of this game and I'm happy with that. It passed the test of time and is still just as fun as it was to play 10 years ago. If your a coumpter gamer, or if you have a some what new pc (you should be able to play this game on any recent pc, not just gaming pc's), you should give this game a try, you could probly get it for real low cheap right now. Expand
  27. May 11, 2012
    Age of Mythology is a great strategy game, but I didn't like the idea too much. Now, you are in a mythological era, really? The fact that It isn't a masterpiece is that It doesn't beat AOE series. However, It is fun, and classic. This game is made by Microsoft and Ensemble, they really did a great job. (8.1)
  28. Apr 11, 2012
    This was my favorite game when i was kid and its still one of best games what i have
  29. Apr 5, 2012
    An all around great game. Really fun to play, if you enjoy RTS games you'll enjoy Age of Mythology. The game has everything an RTS should have and much more.
  30. Mar 16, 2012
    AMAZING! in every fooooken way. I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this becauseAMAZING! in every fooooken way. I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good. Expand
  31. Mar 11, 2012
    I could try to fault this game, but I can't. It's really well balanced, and thus playing it is probably the most fun I've ever had from an RTS. And then there's the sound track, which is also perfect.
  32. Oct 28, 2011
    This is a good solid strategy game, not as good as age of kings though. The one thing that ruined this game for me was the bastard priests who converted your units. It was rediculious, how the hell is a priest going to take over five mounted knights, i mean they really would just chop his **** head off. Worth playing. Watch out for the priests.
  33. Oct 13, 2011
    Another Great game by Microsoft. Its a very good RTS, but i felt it wasn't as good as AOE2. I don't Review games by comparing them to other games though, I rate them by how i felt it was and how much I enjoyed playing it. AOM has a great Campaign in it with interesting, unique levels in it that had not be seen by this time it was released. I have some trouble working the Multiplayer StuffAnother Great game by Microsoft. Its a very good RTS, but i felt it wasn't as good as AOE2. I don't Review games by comparing them to other games though, I rate them by how i felt it was and how much I enjoyed playing it. AOM has a great Campaign in it with interesting, unique levels in it that had not be seen by this time it was released. I have some trouble working the Multiplayer Stuff with it ,but other wise its a fantastic game. I would recommend getting it (but get AOE2 First : P ) Expand
  34. Aug 3, 2011
    Its been nearly 9 years since its release but this game never gets old. Compared to its age, graphics are awesome. Balance between civilizations and units is great. I dont think i will get bored from this game ever.
  35. Nov 17, 2010
    favorite game of all time, played the campaign multiple time, and LAN it with friends almost every weekend. the graphics still look amazing. 8 years later still the best looking RTS in my opinion. gameplay is perfectly balanced soundtrack is outstanding there is so much content in the game, it could last me forever. it is so good i have bought it 4 times and 3 times was for myself.
  36. Sep 29, 2010
    You know I was thinking about strategy games and asked which is my favorite of all time, guess what it is, Age of Mythology! It is just a great game with lots of FUN to be had. The coolest part of this game is that I can install it on a laptop and it will work great. If you have never had the opportunity to play this game you truly are missing out on one of the masterpieces of all timeYou know I was thinking about strategy games and asked which is my favorite of all time, guess what it is, Age of Mythology! It is just a great game with lots of FUN to be had. The coolest part of this game is that I can install it on a laptop and it will work great. If you have never had the opportunity to play this game you truly are missing out on one of the masterpieces of all time (in my opinion). Expand
  37. Aug 21, 2012

1. Without a doubt, the gameplay, graphics and sound all add up for a spectacular RTS title that you will be able to play for hours upon hours without getting remotely bored.
  2. "Warcraft III" is very innovative and has production values higher than just about any game ever released on the PC, while Age of Mythology is simply a worthy successor to an excellent series.
  3. The best Age game yet, featuring frightening fantasy units without all the bearded baggage. [PC Gamer UK]