Alice: Madness Returns PC

8.4

1. Jun 15, 2011
    If there's one thing I expected with the second game, it was not to be disappointed.
    And it delivered.
    It delivered oh so well. Where do I even begin? This new iteration of Alice appears to be bigger and better in every way. There is a plethora of collectibles, bonus objectives, the so-called "memories", etc., but none of them are boring or tedious to get.There is a huge variety of
    And it delivered.
    It delivered oh so well.
    Where do I even begin?

This new iteration of Alice appears to be bigger and better in every way.
    There is a plethora of collectibles, bonus objectives, the so-called "memories", etc., but none of them are boring or tedious to get.There is a huge variety of clothing for Alice as well.
    The intro cinematic is macabre, moody, dark, pulls you in the moment it starts and sets the mood perfectly.

The music..Let's just say that while I was disappointed at first that Chris Vrenna is only doing one track for the new game, the new composer nails it perfectly and does a fantastic job. Most of the pieces are outstanding in their own, like the main theme, some of the battle music.They do a flawless job of enhancing the atmosphere without being intrusive.
    They're errie yet beautiful.They juggle your mood from sadness to hope.The style of music itself is somewhat different from the original game, but the QUALITY is in no way worse.

The controls are fluid and require little getting used to, they just seem natural and aren't that hard to master.The camera is great, rotation is very helpful and the ability to go intro first person is a great touch.Alice's movements are great, her motion capture is very well done, her facial expressions are great.

Mostly every NPc you encounter actually has something to say - not random gibberish, mind you.And Alice often responds.

Which brings us to the next major strong point of the game - the vocie acting and dialogue.
    I'd lie through my teeth if I said I didn't expect both to be top-notch, but I was still very, very pleased with what they did.
    The dialogue is witty, doesn't feel forced, lines are often cryptic and metaphoric, they perfectly fit with the dark tone the game sets by shrouding a lot of what is said in mystery. The vocie acting..It's just perfect, I can't say much about that.There are fcew NPCs that aren't on par, but the ones who stand out the most are Alice and Dr. Bumby (for me, at least.)

The game has a great variety of characters, all unique, all interesting, all with their separate personalities and you're often left wondering what are their real intentions.

Combat has been flawless so far. I loved how McGee and his team preserved the core original style, but brought much innovation into the sequel's.Weapons are over-the-top, extremely fun to use and original.
    What I love even more is that fighting requires tactic - you can't win by just sitting and spamming one attack in one place. The game knows the player wants a challenge and rightfully delivers.
    Every weapon, naturally, has its own tactics, much like in the original game.

The graphics, while not being exactly groundbreaking (but who said they have to be?) are quite something - Alice herself, the locations, enemies all look gorgeous and there is extreme attention to detail in a lot of departments. Of course, there are the occasional blurry textures absolutely every game has, but that is is no way adetriment to the enjoyment of how good the twisted, yet beautiful Wonderland and its inhabitants look.Alice in particular is quite detailed, her hair flows around very naturally while jumping/running and her movements are believable and more or less realistic. The game utilizes the Unreal engine and does a very good job at using its potential.

The gameplay is everything I expected and much, much more.
    A platforming game in a gorgeous setting with detailed environments and interesting puzzles that seem to find the perfect balance - as in, they're not that hard to figure out, but the game won't spoonfeed you what to do, either. And I love that. And finally, the storyline.
    It's just fantastic.Deep, immersive, gritty, macabre, enchanting, depressing.
    It's flawlessly paced, flawlessly told and perfectly presented.
    Helping Alice overcome her sorrow, guilt and escape from the depths of her madness is something you truly take to heart if you let the world of the game suck you in (which it has no trouble doing.)
    In the spirit of keeping this spoiler-free, let's just say that the game offers everything the original did and much more, and does an even better job at doing it.

Overall, this game is more or less a shining gem that every fan of platforming adventure, mingled with tactical combat needs to try out.
    It's beautiful, dark, thrilling, and a stunning journey to the depths of insanity.
    Perfect score for being a perfect game.
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    Fantastic visuals, twisted plot, fun game play. If you liked the original American McGee's Alice, you'll love Madness Returns.

Cute yet creepy environments that are beautifully detailed abound in this successor to the original. The controls are well done, but could be slightly better. Summary, if you liked the first one, you'll love this. Classic platforming at it's best.
  3. Jun 22, 2011
    This is one of the best action games I have played so far. It is a mix of such classic games as Conkerâ
  4. Jun 25, 2011
    Never written a review for metacritic but this game is exceptionally good and unusual and has been really poorly treated by most critics. Like the original this is a gold plated quirky cult classic. If you like alice, creepy victoriana, the film labyrinth, macabre wonderlands or just old fashioned platforming gameplay you'll love this. Writing and art were great throughout - the story,Never written a review for metacritic but this game is exceptionally good and unusual and has been really poorly treated by most critics. Like the original this is a gold plated quirky cult classic. If you like alice, creepy victoriana, the film labyrinth, macabre wonderlands or just old fashioned platforming gameplay you'll love this. Writing and art were great throughout - the story, weaves nicely throughout he many wonderlands - broken up by passages in a grisly grey london populated by hogarthian grotesques. It's easy to see why alice prefers to live in her own head. It's big too - i spent 20 hours in there according to steam trying to find all the secrets and memories. Excellent use of cake too, really enjoyed this! Expand
  5. Jul 6, 2011
    I've already rated this twice, first a 7 then a 5. I haven't finished the game, it is long, but I started enjoying myself much more after getting past Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is much better, and the start of 4 looks promising. Quite an enigma of a game this, as many other reviews will testify. The quality dips up and down but on the whole, it's a good and quite psychedelic experience. TheI've already rated this twice, first a 7 then a 5. I haven't finished the game, it is long, but I started enjoying myself much more after getting past Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is much better, and the start of 4 looks promising. Quite an enigma of a game this, as many other reviews will testify. The quality dips up and down but on the whole, it's a good and quite psychedelic experience. The gameplay suffers from repeating the same tasks and puzzles over and over, but when the combat gets going it really is fun - it's a shame that the flow of the game isn't consistent, as there are moments when I ask myself "Gosh, is this really worth it?". The answer, so far, is yes; every time I've been frustrated, exhausted, or just plain bored, there's always been something to make up for it around the corner. Strange game. Expand
  6. Aug 17, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a platforming game for platformer fans.

The bulk of the criticism this game seems to receive is due to how "dated" the gameplay feels, and how similar it is to platformer games of the previous years, but is that really a bad thing? Fans of the first game, and of other platformers to have been released over the past several years (Psychonauts for example) will
    Alice: Madness Returns is a platforming game for platformer fans.

Fans of the first game, and of other platformers to have been released over the past several years (Psychonauts for example) will enjoy the gameplay, as it's relatively the same gameplay we've seen. You traverse through a variety of levels, killing enemies that you come across.

The main selling point of this game is the graphics and art style, which feature a dark, twisted, almost Burten-esque view of the tradition Wonderland from the original source material (not like the CGI movie of his). Each world has a drastically different theme, ranging from steampunk styled castles, to a twisted doll/toybox level.

If there's a downside to this game, it would have to be the minigames that occur in almost each level. Just about each level has their own unique minigames which you'll play several times throughout, raning from a sidescrolling arcade type shooter, to a sidecrolling platformer (akin to the old Mario games), and even a marble blast type minigame in which you control a doll's head. At first these games are quirky and interesting, providing a decent break from the main gameplay, but they become redundant and boring after a while.
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    The keyboard+mouse controls are a bit odd at first but you will get used to them after a few combats. The grim/creepy atmosphere is what made the game awesome for me. The graphics are OK, nothing too great but not bad either. The music is also nice. The story isnt so great, and they also rushed the ending in my opinion. I haven't played the first title so I can't compare the two, but its aThe keyboard+mouse controls are a bit odd at first but you will get used to them after a few combats. The grim/creepy atmosphere is what made the game awesome for me. The graphics are OK, nothing too great but not bad either. The music is also nice. The story isnt so great, and they also rushed the ending in my opinion. I haven't played the first title so I can't compare the two, but its a good game. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2011
    I don't know why people hate it, but I like this game. It is a wicked twist on Alice In Wonderland, and it is better than it sounds. There are many collectibles and "memories" you get throughout the game. There are also a lot of things you can do throughout the game. And it has a decent difficulty too. I have no idea why people are complaining about mouse controls, it's pretty normal toI don't know why people hate it, but I like this game. It is a wicked twist on Alice In Wonderland, and it is better than it sounds. There are many collectibles and "memories" you get throughout the game. There are also a lot of things you can do throughout the game. And it has a decent difficulty too. I have no idea why people are complaining about mouse controls, it's pretty normal to me. I have to say, I did not expect this. I expected non-stop blood and gore, but the story is a treat. The graphics are pretty good, and it's compatible with an Xbox gamepad. All I have to say is that it is a bit repetitive, but that's normal for this kind of game. Overall this is an amazing game, and I don't know what all of the hate is about. 9/10 Expand
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    This was quite an enjoyable game. The scenery in the levels is quite well done, the enemies are unique and the dark story line kept me playing. The only issues I had were lag problems when too much was going on at once, even on a powerful computer. Also, the occasional poor camera angle, but for a platformer that issue was few and far between. Very enjoyable.
  10. Jun 11, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. In times of short and easy action games we get incredible hardcore adventure showed in unique graphic style. It was hard to beat previous Alice but they did it. I cannot wait for next episode of psychodelic crazy trip with Alice.
  11. Jul 23, 2013
    Liked the game for its very beautiful graphics, atmosphere.
    Disadvantages are IMO arcade style instead of more classic shooter which was the first game of series, and also improper mouse support for PC
  12. Jun 22, 2011
    The new Alice is... wonderful! I hate platformers but this is the best game I've played since... a long time... VtM Bloodlines perhaps? And it's probably the best non-strategy and non-crpg game I've ever played! The music reminds me of Arcanum, the graphic is beautiful, the art direction is ingenious - black & white victorian city, colorful wonderland which manages to be gritty at the sameThe new Alice is... wonderful! I hate platformers but this is the best game I've played since... a long time... VtM Bloodlines perhaps? And it's probably the best non-strategy and non-crpg game I've ever played! The music reminds me of Arcanum, the graphic is beautiful, the art direction is ingenious - black & white victorian city, colorful wonderland which manages to be gritty at the same time... I'm sick of retarded reviewers giving **** like all CoDs, BFs, Bioware games etc automatically 8-10/10 while underrating true pearls, like Alice Madness Returns or Tension: The Void. Gaming journalism is a big and gritty joke, it only serves as an additional PR campaign for popular companies. Ignore the reviews of imbeciles who fap to newest CoD or Mass Effect because it has blue alien sex and play GOOD games instead, like this one. Expand
  13. Jun 14, 2011
    i love it! the visual effects are amazing with the high physical effects, and the art style is righteous, live on alice! haven't played through it yet but i'm enjoying what i have so far.
  14. Jun 15, 2011
    Nowadays, gaming companies have been influenced largely by money and greed. There aren't many studios left, that actually put love to their work. But in Alice: Madness Returns, it proves this argument wrong. The effort put into the making of Alice used into a large degree from a small pebble to the stunningly bizarre and hauntingly beautiful world, to the visage of Alice herself, andNowadays, gaming companies have been influenced largely by money and greed. There aren't many studios left, that actually put love to their work. But in Alice: Madness Returns, it proves this argument wrong. The effort put into the making of Alice used into a large degree from a small pebble to the stunningly bizarre and hauntingly beautiful world, to the visage of Alice herself, and everything that surrounds her. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2011
    Pure Art. This game is absolutely fabulous. The characters could use a bit of development in terms of writing, but I was in love with her from the start, and the graphics are unlike anything I've ever seen.
  16. Jun 16, 2011
    One of the best sequels I have ever played. Managing to stay true to the original atmosphere if only a bit more colored, which you will see was not a bad thing, this game delivers like nothing else. Think Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 2 only without any actual content removed just changed. Along with the genius atmosphere which you have to experience for yourself to understand theOne of the best sequels I have ever played. Managing to stay true to the original atmosphere if only a bit more colored, which you will see was not a bad thing, this game delivers like nothing else. Think Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 2 only without any actual content removed just changed. Along with the genius atmosphere which you have to experience for yourself to understand the graphical engine shows almost no signs of ever being Unreal 3 except for the shiny blood smears and occasional texture clipping (like Alice's hair right at the begining). The characters are spectacular even compared to the standard the first game set (or any other game in the batsh*t insane artstyle). The gameplay is loads of fun with actually interesting secrets to find and well collectibles are collectibles theres only so many seashells/teapots one can break before going mad. The was one thing that kind of annoyed me, the mouse seemed to have a much greater sensibility for left-right than up-down. I have to say the critics reviews as of 16/6/2011 surprise me greatly with their rather low scores as this is certainly one of the top games to come this year. Not that I mind this game remaining a bit more obscure just like the first one, I'll treasure it like my one personal wonderland :)
    PS: It comes with a free copy of the first American McGee's Alice. While some might say that is because the game was rushed I hope more games would offer previous titles for free...
  17. Jun 16, 2011
    Perhaps it is because I grew up during the era when platform games were king, but I adored each and every moment of Alice: Madness Returns. The game mechanics while simple are a throw back to the days of Mario 64, with fluid platforming and a host of secret areas and unlockables to find. The environments are stunning, the settings haunting yet serenely beautiful all wrapped up with a trulyPerhaps it is because I grew up during the era when platform games were king, but I adored each and every moment of Alice: Madness Returns. The game mechanics while simple are a throw back to the days of Mario 64, with fluid platforming and a host of secret areas and unlockables to find. The environments are stunning, the settings haunting yet serenely beautiful all wrapped up with a truly emotional plot and music score. A very worthy successor to the original American McGee's Alice. Expand
  18. Jun 17, 2011
    Amazing art and truly an homage to Lewis Carroll classic. The game-play is solid and the diversity of the different chapters delivers an interesting challenge for platforms and actions aficionados. Above everything else that was released this year so far. Similar experience to the Batman Arkham Asylum in a lot of ways, same spirit of dedication to gamers. Hail to Spicy Horse.
  19. Jun 18, 2011
    A worthy sequel to an already established amazing game.
    Manages to be "modern" without falling into design choices which are associated with this era's gaming.
  20. Jun 24, 2011
    1) Art: The amazing art direction is still there. I see a lot of things in Alice: Madness Returns that they probably wanted to do in the original but the technology wasn't really up to it at the time. The attention to detail and the uniqueness of the settings compared to what we often get in most other games these days is pretty amazing. The last few areas in particular are really1) Art: The amazing art direction is still there. I see a lot of things in Alice: Madness Returns that they probably wanted to do in the original but the technology wasn't really up to it at the time. The attention to detail and the uniqueness of the settings compared to what we often get in most other games these days is pretty amazing. The last few areas in particular are really immersive and quite creepy.

2) Graphics: On max settings, the graphics are actually pretty impressive thanks to the unreal engine. The graphics do not look photo-realistic, but they are not meant to. For the most part, the texture work is quite well done, along with the rest of the art assets. There are a few low resolution textures here or there, but not enough to ruin the experience. One potential annoyance, however, is that the game is by default capped at 30fps. This seems like a strange choice to me, and luckily it can be fixed by editing an .ini file.

3) Physx: Some people don't seem to like physx, but I think these are mostly the people who either don't have a gpu that supports it in hardware, or they haven't bothered to try the game with physx. In this game, the physx adds a lot to the immersion. You get nice volumetric smoke and fog effects, apex destructible objects, cloth and hair physics, dust and other environment particles, fluid simulations, etc. If you haven't seen the game with physx enabled, you are definitely missing out. The subtle physics effects in this game are part of what makes it so beautiful in action.

4) Sound: The sound is quite good and very fitting for the different scenarios. The voice acting is excellent and really gives personality to the characters. The sound effects are well designed and of course everything sounds great in a surround set up. Jason Tai replaces Chris Vrenna this time around for the soundtrack and he doesn't disappoint. The music varies a fair amount, but always has a bit of a dark or sad edge to it.

5) Gameplay: The gameplay is relatively simple as with the original. Alice: Madness Returns does improve on the original in a lot of ways though. Aside from simply having more mechanics, the enemy encounters feel more dire and are more engaging. You do have to use different tactics for each enemy, which wasn't so much the case with the first one. There's more little minigames and puzzles and stuff like that too. Each weapon really feels like it has its place.

6) Story: If you enjoy dark, gothic, Victorian aesthetics, you will like this. It might be said that perhaps because of the nature of the story, the game is more linear than it could otherwise have been, but I don't see this as a real problem. I'm fine with linearity if it's done to support good storytelling, and I think that's what we get here. I will say that I am a bit surprised with just how dark the story turned out to be. They touched on some topics I wouldn't have expected, adding a level of maturity often not seen here.

7) Conclusion: I think that the sequel definitely lives up to the original. Everything about the original is done just as well and often quite a bit better.

As I said, the game is relatively simple, but that's not a bad thing. It's a beautiful game, and more importantly, it's very fun. Just exploring the different environments and seeing the sights is worth the price of admission I think. Some who are looking for more action may disagree and claim that the game is boring, but if you have a bit of patience and an appreciation for unique and inspired art design, I think you will have fun here.

If you're the type of person who likes old-school platformers or the original Alice, I'm pretty sure you'll like this game. The platforming elements are done well, the controls are slick, although I recommend using a pad for this. Trying to do the jumping puzzles with a mouse and keyboard is not as easy.

7) Rating: I don't like giving ratings, but if I had to give this one it'd probably be 9.5/10. One point missing because I feel that there are many other cool ideas that could have been in the game that weren't, but I understand that games have to be published in a given timeframe with a given budget, and I don't feel let down at all by what I've experienced so far. What they did choose to put in the game is great. Indeed, playing this has been one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences I've had this year for sure, and probably longer.

Finally, I hope they release a demo so that people can experience this cool game and decide for themselves. I think a lot of the reviews from the big gaming sites are misleading (I wonder how many of them played and enjoyed the original?) and probably will turn some people away from the game who would really have enjoyed it. If you look back, the original Alice didn't get such great ratings from many places either, but down the road it was definitely recognized as a gem. I think this will be the same.
  21. Jun 25, 2011
    i loved the original alice back in the day.
    i still have the box sitting amidst a few other cherished games on my book shelf.
    even that original game was more or less your average platformer in mechanics. but it really was a twisted puzzlebox of madness. the atmosphere, the music.. alice's cold intelligent wit, that bastardly tricky and yet wise "mangy cat", the warped revisions of rabbit,
    i loved the original alice back in the day.
    even that original game was more or less your average platformer in mechanics.
    but it really was a twisted puzzlebox of madness.
    the warped revisions of rabbit, the queen of hearts, mad hatter, the insane environments you wound yourself through, with hacksaw like resolve. floating off into lifelike dream/nightmare realms that you swear you've felt or seen before. all reflecting into alice's eyes as she peers into the looking glass ;)
    this sequel is all of that 2 the Nth degree.
    beautiful graphics,
    music, atmosphere, story.
    exactly what i wanted to play. and im so glad that it was created for me 2 play it. lol.
    i beat it. and now im sad. that its over. and find myself hoping for a 3rd.
    or a movie. or something. maybe a graphic novel. XD.
    anyway. yea. someone said something about it being not unlike a much darker zelda or banjo kazooie somewhere.. i actually told a co-worker that. its a little more linear than either of those games. but that doesn't really take away from it in my opinion.

overall, it has that same special something that the original had.
    and if you enjoyed it the first time,
    i imagine you'll enjoy this return to it.
    i certainly did.
  22. Jun 28, 2011
    It's an absolutely beautiful game. It starts off a little slow and "ugly" when compared to later parts of the game (don't let this put you off!) but it soon becomes a blast of a game bringing platforming elements back into the spotlight in gorgeous environments (I almost sound gay!). Not only does it look good but it plays well too with puzzles and sequences I'd have to have to navigateIt's an absolutely beautiful game. It starts off a little slow and "ugly" when compared to later parts of the game (don't let this put you off!) but it soon becomes a blast of a game bringing platforming elements back into the spotlight in gorgeous environments (I almost sound gay!). Not only does it look good but it plays well too with puzzles and sequences I'd have to have to navigate without my mouse. Also the dodging is super cool with the fairly fun combat thrown in to shake things up (although sometimes I feel like I cheated by stanging behind this rock pillar to prevent this huge monster from getting to me...stepping to the side every now and again to pepper him).

It has fantastic length, doesn't make itself too easy (which is probably why only an idiot will ever rate a game as "0" - we're never going to take you seriously with a score like that you silly little 8 year old) and yet it's absolute fun to play! I'll admit that it does tire one out a little (after 4 hour stretches my mind was saying "enough for now - gimme a break") however it's nice to take a break anyway to come back to this masterpiece (for the OCD friends out there you'll love this one...some objects you'll be hunting for are cleverly hidden in some of the most obvious places that we just seem to overlook).

One more thing - there are these little bits in the game where you enter a painting and play a sort of mini-game - in this mini game it's a side scrolling platformer where you need to control alice again - how refreshing! There is a similar sort of game when you head underwater but I'm not going to ruin that!
  23. Jul 2, 2011
    Great game, consisting of a mixture of prince of Persia warrior within and devil may cry. Games of this kind are rare, but on the PC and completely exclusive. Fans of slasher genre and "unusual" action games need to educate.
  24. Jul 3, 2011
    This is the sequel that i've waited SO long for and it delivered with flying colors!
    Darker than ever, Stunning visuals and an Awesome story..
    i'm very satisfied and impressed.
    10years worth the wait :)
  25. Jul 16, 2011
    um jogo lindo de se jogar, bem diferente de tudo que estamos acostumados, ótimo para se ter como um segundo jogo para fugir da mesmice de sempre. Muito bom de se jogar,.
    Parabéns pela coragem dos criadores em acreditar em um jogo tão diferente de todo
  26. Aug 6, 2011
    Definitely needs, at a minimum, a major patch. Some custom keyboard controls vanish on reloads (my forward key was mapped to F and every time I die and restart, I have to remap it (even though it still displays as being mapped to F). The camera and movement controls are horrible when in tight spaces (especially in the tiny, secret rooms one finds when shrunk). Combat is clunky andDefinitely needs, at a minimum, a major patch. Some custom keyboard controls vanish on reloads (my forward key was mapped to F and every time I die and restart, I have to remap it (even though it still displays as being mapped to F). The camera and movement controls are horrible when in tight spaces (especially in the tiny, secret rooms one finds when shrunk). Combat is clunky and inconsistent and I rarely feel like I'm doing more than dodge-attack-attack-attack-attack.

The first game was among my favorites and this had (has!) the potential to get there, but it's so buggy and unfinished that until it gets a major update, it's a coaster, for me. If it weren't for the potential that I see, I'd give it a 1.
  27. Aug 30, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a Action Platformer Adventure game (I would say) which is a sequel of the first Alice game (American McGee's Alice). When I picked up the game I was expecting me a story driven game with an amazing and special art style with some of that 3D platforming I really like from game like Super Mario Galaxy and Jak and Daxter, but I got disappointed.

The story is about

The story is about Alice who is back in action but is still haunted by her past. The scene with her house burning with her family in the first game keeps on haunting her in this game. The story got a little to confusing for me on the first run through so I suggest 2 run through the game to grasp the whole story. Gameplay wise the game is a 3D platformer with Super Mario style platforming sections. In this game Alice have a 4 double jumping ability with a leviate ability after each jump. With this mechanic I feel the game has stretched its platform all over the place so the world feels kinda empty. As for the combat; you get 2 melee weapons and 2 ranged weapons. The Vorpal Blade, a fast style weapon which uses small swipes to take of the enemies for you. The Horse Thing, I giant horse head on a stick Alice uses to deal heavy damage with slow attack speed. The Teapot, basically a grenade launcher, and The Peppergrinder, which is basically a machine gun. The combat runs fluid but may be interrupted from time to time because of the camera not willing to work together with you.

Overall I was quite dissapointed over the game. I expected a story driven game but ended up with a un finished hybrid between story and gameplay. In the long run this game got quite annoying and stretches its parts for far to long and just got obnoxuis. I only recommend this game to the player base who is already decided on buying this game just because of the special idea of a F'ed up Alice world.
  28. Oct 24, 2011
    This game would be a 10, but it has some issues that really need to be patched. Save points are automatic, not controllable, and in terrible places. You can get through an entire section, get nearly through a large combat only to die, and have to replay the entire section. Also the Umbrella control key mapping is broken on the PC. Go online to find instructions on how to fix if youThis game would be a 10, but it has some issues that really need to be patched. Save points are automatic, not controllable, and in terrible places. You can get through an entire section, get nearly through a large combat only to die, and have to replay the entire section. Also the Umbrella control key mapping is broken on the PC. Go online to find instructions on how to fix if you have problems. Plus you can easily miss out finding areas because the game pushes you through and the auto save keeps you from being able to go back. I really want to love this game, but I can't until the major issues are fixed. Expand
  29. Dec 28, 2011
    The game is pretty good, The story is dark and keeps you on edge. The 2D cutscenes are fantastic. And the music is really good. Very good voice acting. I highly recommend this game. 10/10
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    I LOVE this game! I don't agree with most negative reviews. This is old school with a fresh look. PhysX is a nice touch. I really HOPE there will be a 3rd and don't have to wait another 10 years. :) I played and loved the first game also. Very imaginative and smooth gameply. Nice job to the programmers!! 10/10!
  31. Dec 26, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns has been gracing my computer for a few days now and I've got to say that it is a solid game and one that I'm glad to have in my collection. While the game doesn't break any new ground as far as game playing mechanics go, the game does very well with its art, storytelling, and theme. It sticks to the original very well and I'm glad that even after 10 years later weAlice: Madness Returns has been gracing my computer for a few days now and I've got to say that it is a solid game and one that I'm glad to have in my collection. While the game doesn't break any new ground as far as game playing mechanics go, the game does very well with its art, storytelling, and theme. It sticks to the original very well and I'm glad that even after 10 years later we are seeing familiar characters the way we left them so long ago. Its a very fun game if you are looking to be entertained by a twisted take on a story that has been around for so long. I enjoyed it even if it didn't give me something new to mash my buttons. I think Occam's Razor really comes to mind in this game. It makes up for mechanics with a story, art, and characters. Expand
  32. Dec 31, 2011
    Own this game via Steam for PC with a Logitech gamepad. If you're looking at this game, a controller is a must. This game, if you're into a sort of dark, twisted fairy tail atmosphere, is brilliant. Granted, the graphics could be slightly better, but it still looks great. Lots of secrets to discover, but so far hasn't seemed entirely worth the extra effort (haven't finished it yet though,Own this game via Steam for PC with a Logitech gamepad. If you're looking at this game, a controller is a must. This game, if you're into a sort of dark, twisted fairy tail atmosphere, is brilliant. Granted, the graphics could be slightly better, but it still looks great. Lots of secrets to discover, but so far hasn't seemed entirely worth the extra effort (haven't finished it yet though, so I don't know if it unlocks extra bits). It has a nice blend of platforming and action I think, so it doesn't get too repetitive for too long. Only reason I haven't rated it higher are minor issues. Sometimes, the camera just doesn't respond well and leaves you blindsided for a short bit. Also, there's a 'targeting' system that can require a lot of babysitting and quite often, leaves you struggling to attack the foe you want to be attacking. The game kind of makes up for this by not making a big deal out of dying. You don't lose teeth (the game's currency), you're not usually set back far at all, no real life counter or "Game Over" bs. I bought this on sale. I wouldn't have paid the full $30 for it knowing what I know, but if you're looking for a fun hack'n'slash, action game, sprinkled with some puzzles, with a great, dark, artsy atmosphere that only Alice in Wonderland can really offer, then pick it up. Expand
  33. Jan 13, 2012
    Shikaarnaya igruha) Mne ochen ponravilas eta igra... Bezumie na visokom urovne, a v nekotorih mestah tak voobshe zashkalivaet) IGRAT' VSEM!!! Privet vsem russkim kritikam))
  34. Feb 8, 2012
    Absolutely stunning and very beautiful game. If you don't have a very nice computer don't even bother because you won't be able to fully enjoy the beauty of it. A perfect sequel to the first game and didn't dissapoint. Very compelling and unique plot.
  35. Mar 19, 2012
    I originally dismissed this game when it was released, but picked it up recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the detailed environments and loving stylisation. The combat, while not the deepest or most satisfying, is flashy enough to keep me entertained. The story is certainly one of the most involving to be found in modern video games; it is a very competent psychological thriller.I originally dismissed this game when it was released, but picked it up recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the detailed environments and loving stylisation. The combat, while not the deepest or most satisfying, is flashy enough to keep me entertained. The story is certainly one of the most involving to be found in modern video games; it is a very competent psychological thriller. It is certainly not for everybody, however, as it is very dark. Overall, it is a very beautiful game. Quite the hidden gem. Expand
  36. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's talk about what really makes a game "good," and what game reviews should therefore focus on (and typically don't, at least these days). For me, personally (a "hardcore" gamer with over 25 years of experience), it isn't any of the things that nearly all critical reviews seem to focus on: graphics, sound, etc. Sure, they matter. However, graphics and sound (and an invisible wall here and there) don't make the game, and they certainly don't make it "memorable" or worthy of 9.0+ (out of ten) scores. What, then, are the keys? In my opinion, it's simply a series of questions that couldn't be more simple:

a). Did you feel as though you "loved" the game (and/or character(s)), and did this only intensify as the game progressed?
    b). Upon the game's conclusion, did you feel hopelessly compelled to begin another quest (thank God for "new game +"), in spite of the five or more games you might have downloaded after this one and not played yet?
    c). While playing the game, were there numerous moments where you simply sat in front of your screen in awe of what you were witnessing (artistically, etc.)? How big was the smile on your face, or how trance-like was your state (how absorbed were you into the moment)?
    d). How likely are you to emphatically recommend the game to another and tell them how amazing or truly one-of-a-kind it is (regardless of any reason you can vocalize at said time)?

Really, that's all there is to it. Now, if I go back and look at the average game that say, IGN or Gamespot has given a 9.0 or higher within the past generation(or even 2011, specifically), what will I find? Say I compared these scores to the average gamer score...what's the standard deviation of critcally-scored 9.0 titles vs. gamer scores?

What irks me most is that, without looking, I already know the answers and implications of these questions.
  37. May 17, 2012
    I was always a big fan of the Alice universe. I love the Disney movie, the one from 1951, and of course i was excited when i read they made a continuation from American Mcgees Alice. Sadly i couldn't play it back in 2000, had no pc that time, but before AMR was released, i could get a copy of that game and played it. I was amazed what they made of the wonderland, turning it into a livingI was always a big fan of the Alice universe. I love the Disney movie, the one from 1951, and of course i was excited when i read they made a continuation from American Mcgees Alice. Sadly i couldn't play it back in 2000, had no pc that time, but before AMR was released, i could get a copy of that game and played it. I was amazed what they made of the wonderland, turning it into a living nightmare. I liked it, and when i saw the pictures from AMR i was sure it would be a great game. Pre-ordered the game, and then i read a few critics. Some of them where really harsh, was it really a good idea to preorder it? But i thought, give the game a chance. So when the game was finally here, i was like: What the f*** is wrong with you? Did you really played the same game as i did? The game is not perfect, i must admit. The camera is terrible and has a life of its own. I had situation where i had to fight more with the camera than with my enemies. But apart from that the controls where ok. Sadly Alice doesn't grab on ledges like she did in part one. Could have saved me from a few unnecessary falls. Something that has been criticized too was that you cold see loading textures. It did not bother me, don't know why they made a fuss out of it. What personally bothered me was that interesting locations, like Queensland, where simply too short. For me, that was the best part of the game. The location was interesting, eerie and full of details. Shame they where so short.
    Another thing i have to critc are the Mini-games. Sure, they were fun but not really challenging. But enough of the negative, the positive aspects clearly outweigh those little blemishes. AMR has an atmosphere that i really miss at todays games. Take the Vale of tears for example, or the mentioned Queensland. So many details, and boy, what an atmosphere. This is essentially due to excellent dubbing, and of course not to forget the music. The music is not intrusive or overloaded, she just fits perfectly. The dubbing, the game is multilingual, and is definitely worth mentioning. I played first with the German dubbing, and i have to say, the dubbers make a good job. The voices fits to their characters. I played the game with the english dubbing too, but i like the one in my mother language more. This is of course a matter of taste, both are great and worth to listen to. So let me sum up: Positive: Atmospheric and interesting locations. Good dubbers and music. A lot to discover. Very good character and enemy design. Negative: Stubborn camera, especially in combat. Mini-games are no challenge. Interesting locations are too short. The game could be bit longer. Personally the game was worth its money. It's not perfect, but definitely worth to be played. I really hope they make a third part of this game. Would be a shame if they didn't.
  38. Jul 20, 2012
    I made a metacritic account just to tell everyone how amazing I think this game is. The graphics are stunning, the story, voice acting, and music are fantastic, and I personally have not had a single issue with the PC controls. I have to force myself to stop playing and go to bed! If you like puzzle games and actually having to explore the world, then you'll like this!
  39. Aug 10, 2013
    The game is beautiful, and the story and underlying concept of the game are entrancing. There are areas, however, that seem padded out in the worst possible way. And it is a little repetitive. Buy it on sale and love it.
  40. Dec 28, 2013
    Great level design and overall game play. Alice looks good and the physics of the hair is well done. The levels are inspired and never get boring hence there is always something new and unexpected thrown at you, just like a mad dream. Combat is satisfying with lots of combination of weapons at your disposal as the game progresses. Fun and addictive!
  41. Jan 30, 2014
    Alice Madness Returns has a very unique art style from what most would expect at first glance, it is dark and very much bleak. It brings forth an aspect of the human mind that most would not even have seen in their darkest nightmares. The combat system although repetitive at times, was made up for by a well written story that kept us progressing through the plot just so we could see whatAlice Madness Returns has a very unique art style from what most would expect at first glance, it is dark and very much bleak. It brings forth an aspect of the human mind that most would not even have seen in their darkest nightmares. The combat system although repetitive at times, was made up for by a well written story that kept us progressing through the plot just so we could see what Alice would do next. Expand
  42. Feb 2, 2015
    OK... The game has a good atmosphere, idea... but... i really like this game until complete 4%... but after this. I want to punch the creators in the nose. The controls on PC are just horrible and system of checkpoints piss you off. They give you too little marge to error. You are wasting time in useless tries to pass a few steps just for fail in the next step and return to beginning ofOK... The game has a good atmosphere, idea... but... i really like this game until complete 4%... but after this. I want to punch the creators in the nose. The controls on PC are just horrible and system of checkpoints piss you off. They give you too little marge to error. You are wasting time in useless tries to pass a few steps just for fail in the next step and return to beginning of the level and to repeat it again. Frack! I want to enjoy the game, it's supposed the game is for diversion and a pleasure pass-time, not for uncomfortable one. Expand
  43. Dec 15, 2015
    グラフィックは素晴らしい。見た目だけは何からなにまで文句なく素晴らしい。
    この高評価の理由はひとえにグラフィックの素晴らしさ故。
    でもゲームとしては微妙な出来。 アクションと戦闘がそれぞれ乖離しており、しかもどちらも練り込み方が不充分でかなり単調なものになってしまっている。 地形を活かして自分の好きなスタイルで戦い方を形作ることができた前作とは比べ物にならない。 しかもPCでのプレー時にキー操作を受け付けなくなる重大なバグがあり、そのバグ以外でもしばしばキー入力がキャンセルされる現象が発生する。 そのため著しくゲーム世界への没入が妨げられる。 とりわけフォーカスが効かなくなるバグなど重大で基本的なものがリリース後数年経った今でもまったくバグフィックスされていないことに驚きを禁じ得ない。
    グラフィックは素晴らしい。見た目だけは何からなにまで文句なく素晴らしい。

悲惨な出来事が契機になって発生した無意識内容との格闘と魂の救済という主題はどこへ行ってしまったのか。

グラフィック以外は何をとっても中途半端で雑。
    前作をこのグラフィックで出して欲しい。

1. Oct 17, 2011
    All in all, Alice: Madness Returns delivers a good sequel. Not superlative, but not a cheap knockoff. If topsy-turvy architecture, steampunk menaces, and Victorian psychotherapy tickle your geek itch, this is a title well worth playing.
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a living contradiction, an unholy union of incredible visual flair and ho-hum gameplay.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 8, 2011
    Combat is flawed, but does little to detract from the game's breathtaking depiction of lunacy. [Sept 2011, p.61]