6.8

1. Jul 17, 2014
    Alien Rage is a good first person shooter with many gameplay related issues. 6 hours in a single player campaign. I`d compare it to Bulletstorm, which is about two classes better. For 5$, yea it`s worth it. A feeling of cheapness for this game is overwhelming. But yea, this game is decently playable.

Good things first. So we have Unreal Engine here, looks pretty good in 2014 but it is

Good things first.
    So we have Unreal Engine here, looks pretty good in 2014 but it is aging rapidly. Graphics are nice enough, nothing particulary bad. Some levels really look great.
    The music is okay too. Nothing special but fits the scenery, doesn`t irritate.
    Guns feel and shoot like standard fps hardware. There are 7 types of which have their own differences. I like how the ironsights look on them, they sound and look pretty good.

Now the bad things.
    There is no story. You just shoot stuff and blow things up.

The voice acting is standard, but the actual text is very annoying. So all the voice actors do a good job while the guy who wrote the stuff didn`t do good at all.

AI is horrible. Yes, they take cover, they shoot, they seem to have some strategy but after 30seconds you notice what is wrong with them. They are far too accurate even on lowest difficulty setting. They are far too quick. They have unlimited ammo, so you get sprayed with grenades all the time. They do not see walls, so even when you hide, they know exactly where you are and they shoot you through the walls.
    Then all you have to do is crouch hidden, they will come running like sheep one by one. They are really tough too, so the only way you can survive is to score multiple headshots.
    And so with an exception of minigun and boss stages, every single enemy shootout looks the same in Alien Rage. You walk into a room, a flood of monsters appears, rinse and repeat.
    Oh yes, the boss battles. They`re not that bad, just not fun at all.
    While walking through the game I had a feeling that no one tested the gameplay. There are so many cheap player deaths here that you have to stop playing every 2 hours just not to throw your monitor.

There are no powerups, no special skills or facilities. You get three most basic player perks and that`s it.
  2. Apr 13, 2015
    An "old style" FPS , meaning a game that tries to get by with a lack of good story and varying game play. The actual graphics, voice acting and gun play is solid enough and for the price would be worth the experience.

However the down right stupid difficulty makes this a complete chore, avoid unless for a cheap price.
  3. Nov 14, 2015
    It's basically Bulletstorm in a doom setting. Fun gameplay and tight controls but it wears thin and leaves you feeling unsatisfied one it's finished.
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    Alien Rage is a surprisingly fun arcade shooter that will really test your reflexes and skills. It's hampered by more than a few problems, especially at launch, but they are mostly fixed by now. It feels like a good mix of old sensibilities with the new, but even that is hampered by the damn annoying health regeneration or no armor. Now, look, I see why health regen is a go to gameAlien Rage is a surprisingly fun arcade shooter that will really test your reflexes and skills. It's hampered by more than a few problems, especially at launch, but they are mostly fixed by now. It feels like a good mix of old sensibilities with the new, but even that is hampered by the damn annoying health regeneration or no armor. Now, look, I see why health regen is a go to game element, game developers. You want the players to keep on moving without stopping for health items to keep the action going, but even that is rectified by having health items YOU CARRY ON YOU like in FEAR 1 and FEAR 2! Which are games I love.

To confound matters further, it feels insanely silly that Alien Rage kept telling me where to go despite the areas being so straightfoward and linear. I don't HATE linear games, by the way, but here it just seems laughable when there is an objective marker! Go here, press a button, move on, and repeat. That is what the areas are kind of like in this game driven by a not that amazing story, despite the badass space marine action. However, I still cannot deny that I enjoyed this fairly visually stunning game, even when blinded by the excessive visual effects! The addictive scoring system really aids in the fun as well, and we even have perks to power up with.

A decent game, let it pass.
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    Anyone who played Bulletstorm is gonna notice some similarity with that game. Look of weapon, sound of them when you fire from it. The most similar sound is when you reload. Action is very good, hart pounding, boss fights are easy and not challenging. Simply hide behind cover and unload everything you got in them. Graphics are very good, sound to. Scoring is very good, kill streaks areAnyone who played Bulletstorm is gonna notice some similarity with that game. Look of weapon, sound of them when you fire from it. The most similar sound is when you reload. Action is very good, hart pounding, boss fights are easy and not challenging. Simply hide behind cover and unload everything you got in them. Graphics are very good, sound to. Scoring is very good, kill streaks are fun. There are some bugs that needs to be fixed asap. Overall, this is good game which i like to play, before something better comes out Expand
  6. Sep 26, 2013
    Well I enjoyed it.

A jolly good romp, a disclaimer however rather difficult. I mean the difficulty curve is vertical, even the first basic enemies you encounter can nail you easily if you're not vigilant. It doesn't skimp on its premise; it is hard and that will turn some people off. Looks fantastic for 20$, a few lag issues that come with a UE3 game but other than that, and the
    Well I enjoyed it.

Looks fantastic for 20$, a few lag issues that come with a UE3 game but other than that, and the atrociously, unapologetically cruel boss fights it's responsive, pretty and interesting.

Here's what I say ignore the middle ground score. If it looks like you want it, you probably do!
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    Overall, this game has just been really frustrating to me. I was dying quite a lot especially during the parts when I was trying to take cover to regenerate my health and then like 4 or more enemies would come rushing over to where I was taking cover and killed me. I was having some fun with the few different weapons in the game to shoot at the enemies, though.
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    Once again, the reviews from the "professionals" are out of step with the people who actually play the game. This game is great value for $20-odd. I am about halfway through and enjoying it. It is, after all, a game and that means you play it for fun. I am not looking for a deep meaningful story or believable characters, I just want a bit of fun. Seems like a lot of other users feel the same.
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    Meh, just your average fps game nothing more, there really isn't anything special about this game, you just go around shooting stuff and thats it. There is a story but its lame, I did like the diary's since they let you learn about the world and give you some background info about the aliens and whats going on.
  10. Sep 28, 2013
    I love shooters, especially the one from the 90´s like Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Doom, Half-Life, Goldeneye and I also love Tacticshooters like the first three Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Operation Flashpoint.
    They were all a challenge on hard settings and I like a good challenge, but Alien Rage ist nothing but unfair. The fact that you die every 10 seconds at a boss battle, doesn´t make a game hard. You don´t gain anything from the death, like in Dark Souls where you learn something new about a boss and can change your tactics. But in Alien Rage, you die so fast. I shot the first boss down to half and wanted to change cover, had full energy and I could´nt run 2 meters till I was dead.
    The most annoying thing is, that the talking is also repeated every time you restart a boss battle. Your character always says the same words and I hate something like that. I turned down the voice volume in the menu! Reminds me Prince of Persia The sands of time, were you had to activate a machine and one of the guards screamed at every single move of the machine "Careful! Think about you´re doing!"

The graphics may be good and the controls work perfect, but if you want a challenge play some Doom or Quake on hard Settings. They may be hard, but still fair.
  11. Oct 14, 2017
    Underneath all the unPolished crap, somewhere in there lies a potential for Alien Rage to be a pretty decent all out action shooter, sadly it never comes to be. While playing i even thought maybe the devs should've made a 3rd person shooter instead, it would've worked better i think because their ''hardcore'' FPS making skills are pretty sub par, unbalanced as hell and on purpose punishingUnderneath all the unPolished crap, somewhere in there lies a potential for Alien Rage to be a pretty decent all out action shooter, sadly it never comes to be. While playing i even thought maybe the devs should've made a 3rd person shooter instead, it would've worked better i think because their ''hardcore'' FPS making skills are pretty sub par, unbalanced as hell and on purpose punishing difficulty doesnt equal to hardcore shooter experience, its just bad game making period.

Medium difficulty alone is broken not allowing you to progress a on rails segment making you change it to Easy (in game called Challenging), but when you do that game doesnt allow you change it back anymore which is something i've never seen. Enemies are running around like theyre just drank 1000 litres of energy drinks charging your reticle and sights, enemies can deal you splash damage thru walls and solid objects, enemies splash damage doesnt hurt other enemies while when i misfire explosive i get damage, enemies have stupidly god like accuracy, everytime you pop your head of out cover they hit hard, overall there's just so many many stupidly annoying little things that drive you almost nuts. Atleast the shooting itself is decent, it doesnt have any weight or much feel, but it does the job thankfully. Movement is is really fast paced, but can feel rough, you can get a bit stuck on ground geometry, you cant jump higher than 20 cm off the ground meaning theres not any freedom of horizontal movement cuz you cant jump over even the smallest of objects.

All and all it doesnt do anything particularly well, other budget shooters have had more satisfying gameplay, story is generic but atleast doesnt get in the way too much, performance can be all over the place with dropping frames, theres few bugs and glitches i encountered, meaning its really not that well optimized.
  12. May 25, 2017
    Alien Rage jest trudny... irytująco trudny. Duża część grających odbije się od gry już na samym początku. Szybcy, niewidzialni, super celni wrogowie i mega mocni bossowie często doprowadzą gracza do szału zabijając go po raz enty. Lista wad jest większa: grafika jest tylko ok a mimo dobrego sprzętu potrafi niemiłosiernie "chrupać", powtarzalne wnętrza stacji a'la "każdy kosmiczny shooterAlien Rage jest trudny... irytująco trudny. Duża część grających odbije się od gry już na samym początku. Szybcy, niewidzialni, super celni wrogowie i mega mocni bossowie często doprowadzą gracza do szału zabijając go po raz enty. Lista wad jest większa: grafika jest tylko ok a mimo dobrego sprzętu potrafi niemiłosiernie "chrupać", powtarzalne wnętrza stacji a'la "każdy kosmiczny shooter jaki powstał", skille i punktacja za zabójstwa które wyglądają jakby były doczepione do gry pod sam koniec żeby chociaż trochę grę dodatkowo urozmaicić... Dużo tego, jednak gdy damy produkcji szanse, włożymy trochę więcej zaangażowania niż przy typowym współczesnym "Call of Battlefield 4: Modern Honor" może być miło a nawet czasem przyjemnie. Expand
  13. Jan 23, 2014
    This isn't the game for everyone, less-so for Halo or Gears or War fans. But it's a fantastic strategic-shooter, in the sense that you really have to try different strategies for each area not to die.
    The plot and dialogue are better than both Halo and Bulletstorm, both of which it has some cultural ancestry through. And yes, it is a little derivative of Halo in terms of the weapon system, but then, Halo was derivative of virtually everything.
    I wouldn't advise any difficulty level other than 'Challenging' - you're really not going to enjoy the game otherwise. But played right, this is reminiscent of the difficulty of Serious Sam 1 on 'Hard' mode, trying to desperately think of a way to not die and go back to your savegame.

The visuals, though perplexing and detailed at first, quickly become navigable, and in time you'll come to appreciate how polished this game is, both in textural and structural details.

Sound-wise - pretty good, pretty standard, though some nice touches here and there.
    And I actually found the boss fights pretty satisfying and enervating - a great combination of 'figure out the strategy' and adrenaline-fueled desperation and chasing.

If you never played an old-school FPS, get used to the following tactics -
    1. Cover is not always going to stay upright, or be perfect at blocking explosions and bullets, depending on how wide it is and where you're placed.
    2. Retreat to better tactical location is always an option, and usually necessary.
    3. Fast reflexes and headshots win wars.

Overall a very satisfying experience, and no-way-near worth the ire it's attracted. Again, not everybody's game - but then, why would it be? And what's wrong with another game that's not as simple or puerile as GoW clones?

1. Nov 17, 2013
    In short, Alien Rage just isn't very good. If it had nailed the combat, all its other flaws could perhaps be forgiven—but it didn't, so they can't. It's a terrible thing to say, but in a game stuffed to the gills with Xenomorphs, the most alien thing in the entire package is any sense of enjoyment whatsoever.
  2. games(TM)
    Nov 14, 2013
    It is so mortally by-the-numbers that you'll genuinely believe you've already played the game before. [Issue#141, p.120]
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Competent to the last, Alien Rage Unlimited will tick the boxes for anyone wanting to indulge in warfare, whilst perhaps parting ways from any sort of thought process for an hour or two.