Alien Swarm PC

8.2

1. Sep 24, 2010
    Good game, just a little repetitive. Half the time you don't even know what you're doing, and the difficulty curve can get steep. Other than that, a typical Valve game with Alien Bugs. Worth the ranging download from 2Gb to maybe 3Gb.
  2. Jan 3, 2011
    The game is very well designed and I liked it. First off, The game is just plain entertaining and exciting. However, It would be better as a FPS. Still if you have a steam account, the game is free, so you should get it!
  3. Feb 12, 2011
    Alien Swarm is definitely a great example of a game to introduce to new Steam users, which also adds to the positive fact of it being free. But, because of the freeness of the game, I believe Valve didn't really put the polish into this game as they did on their other games - still a work of art, though!
  4. Mar 18, 2011
    L4D for idiots.
    L4D for the Hobo.
    L4D for the special's. ECT ECT. Just like L4D, YOU MUST NEVER SEPERATE FROM THE TEAM. Just like L4D, IT'S SCARY AS **** Just like L4D, AMMO IS SCARCE SO GET YOUR ASS UP AND LOOK FOR SOME BEFORE YOUR TEAM DIES. And it's free, so if you like "Good" Co-Op instead of a 10 year old stealin' all the health kits, and you're saving your pennies for something
    L4D for idiots.
    L4D for the Hobo.
    L4D for the special's.

ECT ECT.

Just like L4D, YOU MUST NEVER SEPERATE FROM THE TEAM.

Just like L4D, IT'S SCARY AS ****

And it's free, so if you like "Good" Co-Op instead of a 10 year old stealin' all the health kits, and you're saving your pennies for something a bit more smart and more valuable to you, go get it!
  5. Jun 16, 2011
    this is a great game but isn't quite there it has amazing potential but needs to be scrubbed up that little bit more. plus a few more guns and equipment would also help. it has no need for a story line but i suppose you would just be running round killing bugs if it didn't have one. but as this game is free download it and then shoot away at the mindless aliens.
  6. Jun 23, 2011
    This game is one of the 1st f2p on Steam, so it's a great plus: really good to play with friends, just need to create an account on steam. The multiplayer mode is as good as all classic steam games, easy to rejoin friends or other servers.
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    "Alien Swarm" is a suprisingly fun 4 player co-op game with tons of stuff to do. You will have a good time upgrading and choosing characters and weapons to use for your battle with alien bugs. Oh and btw...It's Free.
  8. Apr 26, 2012
    It is a short but yet very good game to play with your friends. The only thing that made me wonder is why would you use a level up system to unlock stuff when the only way to gain level is to repeat the only campaign over and over again? The game is pretty solid, the animations are smooth and the gunplay is awesome. The content that can be unlocked is also pretty nice considering thatIt is a short but yet very good game to play with your friends. The only thing that made me wonder is why would you use a level up system to unlock stuff when the only way to gain level is to repeat the only campaign over and over again? The game is pretty solid, the animations are smooth and the gunplay is awesome. The content that can be unlocked is also pretty nice considering that Alien Swarm can be downloaded for free. So you should give it a shot, if it doesn't bug you that there is only one campaign... Expand
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    Alien Swarm is a great game, and I enjoy it. One this I don't like is that most enemies that you will see are the same. That's the only bad thing about this game that i saw.
  10. May 15, 2014
    A really fun game that is truly enjoyable in a multiplayer setting although I do hope they fix the Microphone issue soon that truly is annoying to play with friends and only get static.
  11. Jun 30, 2011
    Basic top view shooter with unlocks and some RPG elements. It's got two pluses: the free price tag and online coop which warrants probably enough to at least try it out. But overall there's no new innovation here. They simply found another way to splice together two old school games, Gauntlet and Xenophobe.
  12. Sep 6, 2011
    For a completely free online multi-player shooter, this is fine. That is all you will get, and you should expect nothing more. The co-operative campaign can be completed in under two hours, and it is seven segments in length. There is a reasonable amount of weapons and equipment, but you will find that very few are worth using at all times. Enemy variety may be a problem for some as thereFor a completely free online multi-player shooter, this is fine. That is all you will get, and you should expect nothing more. The co-operative campaign can be completed in under two hours, and it is seven segments in length. There is a reasonable amount of weapons and equipment, but you will find that very few are worth using at all times. Enemy variety may be a problem for some as there are only ten different enemies in the game. After about six hours of this, you may grow tired, or you may be more interested in raising your level (which is not worth very much at all). In addition to these limitations, you will quickly realize that between zero and three servers with good latency are available at any time. There is fun to be had here, but it does not remain constant. There is simply not enough variation nor depth. Expand
  13. Dec 22, 2011
    It is free so I can't really complain. It's a bit of fun but will wear thin quickly. Even though I don't want to put you off trying it I seriously doubt whether you will play it for more than 10 hours.
  14. May 16, 2014
    This game has a good back story, it is fun, challenging, and exciting for hours and hours. Unfortunately, the sound is awful and there is no single player,
  15. Oct 10, 2010
    It's free. Although this is a remark that will easily justify any of the game's flaws, overall, it's a good game. I enjoyed the amount of teamwork and had a good experience with joining players online. It's really dull as a single player game though. The level design is really nice and the aesthetic certainly gives you a double take as you realize that the game is 100% free. However, beingIt's free. Although this is a remark that will easily justify any of the game's flaws, overall, it's a good game. I enjoyed the amount of teamwork and had a good experience with joining players online. It's really dull as a single player game though. The level design is really nice and the aesthetic certainly gives you a double take as you realize that the game is 100% free. However, being free isn't enough to make me recommend this over all the countless choices of top down shooters. I personally enjoy the Alien Breed games, especially the latest one. Perhaps try there if you want to have a better experience. For the entry fee though, Alien Swarm is certainly a game to try out for yourself no matter what anyone says. The lack of a fee and ability to play this on almost any PC rig for the modern man are definitely good reasons to dive into Valve's offering. Here's hoping for a better product though for their next outing. Valve's free content always seems to lack a certain quality that just fails to live up to the expectations of their full priced offerings. Expand
  16. Oct 13, 2010
    COULD have been so great....

COULD have been so great....

Beside the fact that this game is free to play, the thing thats most important in the end is: Do you want to play the game. Alien Swarm has such great potential: The Graphic is good, Style pretty cool. It is cooperative, which is always great, but the community and the Multiplayer Platform ruins everything. The Server browser is a bad joke, the connections are quite unstable, and in more than 80 percent of the games i "tried" to play woth strangers there was no teamplay, support or anything that would have made the stay worth my time.

Another thing is the balance: No possibility to revive dead team members, bad. If the Engineer dies you have to restart in most cases. The Infection is totally "overpowered" Without a good Medic , who has to be at a fairly high level to have access to the heal gun, and who has enough "Ammo" ,one team member is surely dead, bad.

This game is free, yes. But thats just a total lame excuse for a bad game. If you have 3 Friends and some spare time, enjoy the game for a few hours, but dont expect too much.
  17. Dec 1, 2010
    This game, really doesn't bring anything new to the industry. I mean, the minute i knew it was being released, I immediately thought "Alien Breed". It is just so graphically similar, and Alien Breed 2: Assault had just released. The missions get repetitive, and the community made maps aren't that good... The only thing that made me play this game for a grand total of an hour was the greatThis game, really doesn't bring anything new to the industry. I mean, the minute i knew it was being released, I immediately thought "Alien Breed". It is just so graphically similar, and Alien Breed 2: Assault had just released. The missions get repetitive, and the community made maps aren't that good... The only thing that made me play this game for a grand total of an hour was the great leveling system, and the curiosity to know what you'd unlock next. But I guess you can't really ask for much more, considering the fact that it's free... Expand
  18. May 25, 2012
    Alien Swarm. Alien swarm started as a mod for unreal tournament 2004, until Valve hired those guys who created the mod and turned it to a full game (just like what Valve almost always does when making games - - most of them start out as mods). While I understand that Valve's games other than Half-Life are all but "fillers", or games for us play with while they make HL3, they really shouldAlien Swarm. Alien swarm started as a mod for unreal tournament 2004, until Valve hired those guys who created the mod and turned it to a full game (just like what Valve almost always does when making games - - most of them start out as mods). While I understand that Valve's games other than Half-Life are all but "fillers", or games for us play with while they make HL3, they really should be adding more support for them (yes, I made a conspiracy). I mean, why would you wait for a game that's really cool while playing a game with a lack of content and repetitive gameplay?
    Uh, yes, you could play Valve's other multiplayer games. They're good too.

Alien Swarm can be quite fun at the start, but after that, that's just it! There's barely any customization (you can change your weapons, new weapons are given when a certain level is reached or when promoted), but after playing each class and level, you're done! That's just it! Do player-created maps help? Not really. There is no big alien variety, which is a HUGE disappointment. The lack of customization is a big downside, too. The playable characters/classes have bland personalities.
    The action intended in this game quite misses its goal. I've almost always felt bored playing this game.
    The theme and atmosphere is quite dull. I've never had the feeling of fear or sadness despite the game being dark and the occasional sight of body piles. (PDA's showing logs or journals of now-dead survivors didn't help either) They could've worked harder on that, it would make this game quite better.
    Why didn't this game get a lower score? Well, for a free game, the content here is fairly sufficient, and will be fun for.. well, not that long.
    Flaws aside, the leveling system is quite easy and fun, and there are quite interesting weapons like the Tesla cannon, the mining laser and others. Overall, this is not the best nor the worst around, and is best fun online and with friends, and the fact that this is a free game, it quite makes up for most of the flaws.

1. Addictive. Fun. Community driven. Free. Where can it go wrong?
  2. Simply put, anyone with a capable PC should download this and try it.
  3. Despite the issues of repetition and somewhat contrary design choices, Alien Swarm is an enjoyable shooter at an absolute steal of a non-price.