3.4

1. Feb 17, 2013
    Thus far i've put around 7 hours into this game and like many others i'm very disappointed. I don't think it deserves all of the 1s and zeros it has here but it is definitely not worth the 50 dollars I spent. Imo this is at best a 30 dollar title IF you're a diehard fan of the franchise. The AI is obviously its biggest flaw, some human enemies will literally stand there indefinitely while I stare at them and the xenos don't do a whole lot other than charge directly at you or in the case of the spitters come to a dead stop while spitting long enough for you to kill them without any challenge. The graphics aren't as bad as some people are saying, they are just dated. They would stand out in 2009 probably. On the plus side I think it has some of the best sound effects in recent memory, at least with a 7.1 headset on. I also actually like the story as well as the pacing although I wish they'd have added more areas where you can't fire or rely on your weapons. This game isn't worth $50 and it may be Gearbox's lowest point thus far, but it doesn't deserve a 1 or 0, I think that is just spite and some people default to those scores automatically without thinking about it or in some cases without even playing the game they are reviewing. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Broken AI. It doesnt have the good atmosphere or the suspense.... Really what a let down!! and like the other reviewers said the Graphics are outdated, animation and blood/acid effects are very poor, sounds effects are very nice but what we have here strikes me as overall unfinished, unpolished, rushed, underdone.
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is the worst game i haved ever wasted my time on. The AI is horrible, graphics are far below average and the story is boring. Don't waste your money on this game, if you are a die-hard aliens fan and absolutely MUST have everything with the brand name on it then at least wait until you can get it used for 10$ or something like that.
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    Randy Pitchford LIED the whole 7 years to us and put this game off for his other Crap IP that when he made this contract with sega, didn't exist. He stole money from sega to make Borderlands and then didn't even work on this game! Where is the stand off game modes? All the other game features not in there? Where is the Demo!!! ALL A LIE. Do not buy or play this game. I waited for this game since 2001 and like all things aliens i knew it would suck, and with all the delays from borderlands too Duke we all knew this game would suck. Now this proves Pitchford is a lair. And borderlands is crap. Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    I dont understand why this game gets so much flak. Im not even aliens fan, and having bought the game recently i honetly love it. Capmaign is interesting and its great to visit places from the movie. Weapons feel awesome, squadmates shoot and even sometimes kill, and aliens behave like they should crawlng evrywhere, evading attacks and close distances very quickly. Compared to AVP 2010 its a good game. Much mor dynamic and fast and responsive, great atmosphere too.

It feels to me that most people here give over-inflated negative reviews for some reason, well I decided to do an honest one. So to me the game is 9 and I have barely touched the multiplayer yet.(and its fun!)

1. Graphics 7.5 nice atmospheric and lighting effects
    2. Music 9 totally suitable for aliens game(heroic and tense)
    3. Sound 10 sound effects are just great from pulse rifle hissing
    4. Amosphere 10 very very convincing
    5. Story 7. Good but nothing too special
    6. Voice acting 8 solid
    7. Gamplay 9 fluid and plenty of guns/customisation
    8. AI 8 aliens hav very good ai they are very agile ane bhave like animals should. Humans ai is alright as wll, they even flank you if your not careful.
    9. Multiplayer havnt played long enoght to score. But first feel -about 8.

please take in account that I have bought the game recntly so it is a fully patched version.
  6. Feb 13, 2013
    Please give this game a chance. That being said, I am not blind to the issues that this game has OK! I love the franchise and have been waiting for this game for some time. They need to fix the multiplayer issues even though it's still extremely fun and different. By the way that is what really get's me here people are pissing and moaning because it has not got what makes other shooters great. GREAT! GOOD!. I yearn for the time when people don't want the same rehashed Call of Duty game every single year!!!!!!!!!! This game is different and a refreshing break from the normal shooters. Expand
  7. May 9, 2013
    Aliens colonial marines on PC gets yet another big update and it looks like a legit directx11 game now with hi res graphics better AI shadows, fog,mist and dynamic lighting among other things.
    I am totally amazed how they turned it around, it looks so beautiful now,check it out.
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    It is not just about outdated graphics, Gearbox presented this game as a OFFICIAL sequel to the Cameron's ALIENS movie which influenced most of the Science Fiction games and some movies for a very long time. The game itself feels like a game made in less than a year by someone who does not give a damm about the outcome. And here it is, everyone is annoyed with Gearbox, Randy Pitchford does not like to be called a liar and deletes negative feedback on his Twitter.

This game is a lie, the demo that was presented on E3 looks nowhere like the final product. It is just disapointing.

This game is garbage and it is not worth at all.
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    Biggest pile of crap I've seen in a long time, if i could rate it lower than zero I would. Rubbish campaign, laughable AI, the population online is around 200 people worldwide according to some reports I've seen. Don't bother wasting your money on this. screw Gearbox.
  10. Mar 15, 2013
    SEGA have made a terrible presentation again. Was not that bad nor good. Good dialogue but terrible missions. Being this game on the human scale it would be Alienated, waste of $70
  11. Mar 3, 2013
    As a MASSIVE Aliens fan, I was beyond upset with this game (I literally cried because of how bad this game was). Other than the decent multiplayer, some pretty cool environments, and the awesome sounds and music in the game, they did NOTHING right! The Xenos behave oddly and tend to clip into the environment, the story is bland and boring! Not to mention the unbelievably retarded plot twist! The graphics are just an eye sore, even for me! I rarely complain about graphics but after seeing the demo, the retail version is just awful. The characters are boring and uninteresting. The A.I. of your marine companions is just down right stupid and the coop is just broken! And then we get to the WORST part of the game. You spend 2/3 of the game FIGHTING HUMANS! NOT the aliens, but the humans! Why would you put human enemies in an ALIENS GAME?!?!?! Even worse these parts feel more like a Call of Duty game than an Aliens game. Avoid this game at ALL costs! If you need an Aliens fix, go get AvP 1, 2, or 3. This game isn't worth your time. If it wasn't for the multiplayer, and even then it's broken and very unbalanced, this game would get a 0 from me. I am SO upset. Expand
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    Well, since there are lots of negative reviews already I have to add some positive things that I noticed.
    During presentations I wasn't stunned by the level of graphics, so I didn't expect much. The visual part will not make a gamer happy who has spent time playing Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2. But yet it gave enough detalisation so you could imagine yourself being away on a deserted planet.
    Face animations have no 'life', still I don't think it's a big problem.
    Sound effects is important part for a game in a universe of Aliens. It seems that music and sound is not what is usually discussed in reviews, but when these elements are done badly you can't miss such flaws. Using rifles made me want to skip all shooting sections. It is sound that ruined 'feeling' of a weapon. Too bad, because the design of weapons was not that bad.
    The design of levels is poor, 4 gamers on a level would feel lack of space. Despite the fact that it usually took me around 20-30 minutes to complete a level, everything that you keep in mind after completing one was running, shooting, running, loading.
    There was only one time when I was in a team of 4 players. Thing is that I started playing two weeks after the game's release date. By that time everyone stopped playing the game. Absence of server browser made me watch searching for other players for tenth of minutes before I had to go into singleplayer journey.
    The worst thing that made me angry was the storyline. Idea of connecting characters from original 'Aliens' movie with the ones in the game was horrible and had no logic.
    But I have to say that the competitive multiplayer was good. Maps and different classes is the strongest part of the game. It is far away from the gameplay that we have in 'Left 4 Dead', but it is worth playing.
    I'm sorry for those who bought season's pass in advance for the game that disapoints starting from the menu. Finally I have to say, that expectations for the game were too high and I'm 100% sure that the year's biggest fail has already arrived.
  13. Feb 14, 2013
    What's worse? A bad game or a disappointment? How about both? How about both and using the Aliens franchise? Gearbox does it again-this game elicits the same feelings I had when I played Duke Nukem Forever. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Gearbox software. Far away.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't waste time retreading the same ground everyone else and point out one simple fact, it's made by Gearbox.

Gearbox is and always has been a mediocre game developer. Their big claim to fame is borderlands which is essentially if you put world of warcrafts boring quest system into a wasteland, put it in first person mode, then tout how it has millions of guns but the fact is 1 out
    of 10,000 are actually an upgrade (repainting the same crummy pistol 5,000 times doesn't make 5,000 different guns) and finally start pimping DLC for the game before it even releases and then keep releasing more to nickel and dime your customers to death by turning a 60 dollar turd into a 100 dollar turd. They also made duke nukem forever which as we all know is a giant steaming pile of you know what and is a god awful abortion from start to finish. The best games they actually made were the brothers in arms games which aren't as terrible as those other two games but its still incredibly sterile, generic and uninspired. BIA is your basic mediocre WW2 shooter and nothing else. They have a few other games under their belt but they are all titles no one really cares about and faded into obscurity as soon as they were released. Bottom line is Gearbox is a terrible game maker and this is a terrible game.

Now for a quickie about colonial marines.

The story is nothing short of fan fiction written by someone who cannot write but still posts to their blog and believes themselves to be a great writer. It's kind of like how a young girl will take pictures of furniture sitting in a shadow in black and white and then think they are really deep and brooding for taking such artistic photographs when in fact it's just garbage. They tried to wink at the fans so hard their eyes have fallen out because of it. Everything about it feels very amateur, boring and forced. It feels more like they did a sci-fi channel original aliens movie, or something that went direct to video.

The game is buggy as you can get. I've flown out the side of things and floated high in the air stuck. I've had allies that would stick in walls. Hell I found out in section you were supposed to be stealthy starting out and I just ran past every alien and once I passed them they forgot about me and I finished a level without firing a shot. I see environmental objects get stuck in things and so on.

All the pretty and cool looking screenshots and videos I've been seeing for over a year from now weren't from the same game they released. You can easily find comparison videos showing the game released looks just awful compared to the "in game footage" they showed in the past.

Multiplayer is very sterile and pretty much what you'd expect. It's so boring in fact that multiplayer will be a ghost town in 2 months.

The game play its pretty much call of duty. It's just a mix of "it's the last stand....again" and "quick run through fast as you can" with some boring corridor stalking in between.

I could go into great depth, I could go on and on naming other things I didn't like but you can read other Amazon reviews and see exactly what I've got to say.

So really if you must play this, wait till its 10 dollars. Trust me it won't take very long before it gets there. And next time, don't pay full price for a Gearbox title.
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    After 1,5 hours of playing i can say that this game is sadly not a horror game I was really hopped for a great horror/shooter. They made the shooter part well, but not the horror part. The story is so typical, a ship send out a distress signal, marines roll in much of the squad gets killed in the first few minutes and only you remain to save everyone ass. The graphics are fine, not to shiny not to rusty. The gameplay is just a go from A to B and meanwhile kill Xenos. Expand
  16. Feb 15, 2013
    I would give the game a 4.75 but im rounding up, The game is disappointing, has some decent moments but is muddled down by terrible AI, stiff animations, and odd texture pop ins and lack of detail. not to mention the shooting is not really the best, and there is a lack of tension. This is just a shooting gallery with xenos.
  17. Feb 16, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a bit of a mixed bag, First off the campaign is just horrible and i found myself when playing on Hardened difficulty, i could just run through some of the levels. But some of the fan service throughout the campaign is pretty cool especially for Aliens fans such as myself. Finally the Multiplayer i found was surprisingly good. Being able to run around as xenomorphs is absolute fun. Overall, Aliens: Colonial Marines is an average game and didn't really live up to the hype 6/10 Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2013
    I looked forward to this game for quite a long time. As cliche as it is, I was a huge fan of Aliens since I was a kid, and I've always thought it would be great to have a quality game set in the universe in which you get to assume the role of a Colonial Marine. Anyways, this game really does nothing for the Aliens universe. The story has a lot of flaws. If this weren't hyped a canonical sequel to a movie I held so dear, I probably wouldn't care. I didn't care at all about any of the AvP stories, I just enjoyed the games for their multiplayer game play. But again, this game was advertized and hyped as being some awesome canonical sequel but falls completely flat...

The fact that the USCM and Weyland-Yutani Corporation "go to war" is ridiculous, as the company essentially owns the Marine Corp (as well as everything else in the galaxy) in the first place. I guess they just needed an excuse to have you shooting at other people alongside the aliens. The campaign took me only roughly 6-8 hours to complete on "Hardened" difficulty, and had one of the worst endings I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing in a video game. So much for the epic canonical sequel...

The multiplayer on the other hand, is pretty fun. If you really like the idea of running around shooting Giger aliens and/or hunting marines (without predators of course), then you'll probably enjoy that aspect of the game. Despite its entertainment value, it does need some work as sometimes the aliens feel very clunky despite their speed, strength, and maneuverability. Furthermore, it also seems like an alien can charge directly at you, and manage to kill you somehow despite the fact that you've been spraying it with an automatic weapon for its entire charge. Then again, maybe I just suck at the game ;)

All in all, I'd give the single player a 5/10. It's story, AI, and boss fights are absolute garbage (IN MY OPINION), BUT they do recreate with an intense attention to detail many of the areas from the Aliens films. The operations center is pretty much in the exact same shape the marines from the movie left it in. The floor panel that Hudson was pulled through can be seen exactly where it happened in the movie. The smart gun ammo counters are still reading "00" and "04," the exact amount of ammo remaining in them from the director's cut of the film. The ventilation shaft the survivors escaped through can be found with the vent lying next to the wall. Although I did notice after watching the E3 demo that although in the demo the door that had been sealed and subsequently breached by the aliens was busted open, in the released product the door was still sealed shut, even though aliens had bashed through it in the film. This is an absolutely trivial detail, however, and certainly does not detract from the game in any way. They also recreated the derelict space craft from the first movie nicely, allowing the player to encounter the space jockey (engineer) in its seat with its chest burst open. Finally, I definitely think they did a great job of recreating the sound effects of the weapons from the film. The pulse rifle also had a truly authentic feel as it actually...pulsed...unlike the weapon's portrayal in AvP and previous Aliens titles.

Multiplayer, since AI does not control the aliens, is significantly better. I'd give it a 7/10. It's entertaining, and if you like the Aliens universe it will only add to the fun. Hopefully they add new game types, new maps, and various tweaks without charging for all of it...but that probably won't happen.

I am disappointed overall because I expected more from the title, but I think most reviews are extremely harsh and tend to ignore any and all of the good aspects of the game. That, or they acknowledge them but still give the game a 1/10.
  19. Feb 16, 2013
    Cannot understand horrible reviews all over the place 2-3 h into the campaign and a couple of missions done on coop multiplayer. so far had a good time with the game.
    Biggest issue for me is the alien animation movement. but seriously: this game does well by it*s standards. Atmosphere is decent and gameplay solid. Aliens without cheesy story? not happened once for any of the movies.
    before hating this game take a good look at what happened to the franchise in the last 15 years this game is one of the 2 good things happening out there.

Take a look for yourself and if the 2nd Aliens installment was giving you anything you cannot be completely wrong here.
  20. Mar 14, 2013
    A game that is not that good in overall. I have played at my friend's PS3 and the graphics were even worse that on PC. My deal is, why on earth is the DEMO look even nicer than the original game? Who would pay 49.99 USD for a game that looks like a 2003 one?
    As for the gameplay, it just sucks due to the amount of details not added in the original game from the demo. Weird storyline in
    overall. All thanks to their ridiculous management by handing the game to a infamous company. Expand
  21. Apr 26, 2013
    When I first heard of the bad reviews in Aliens: Colonial Marines, that's when I actually started watching Aliens the movies. I wasn't even born at the time the movies got released and I never had much interest in that, but since I've been a gamer since I was a kid, I wanted to like Colonial Marines. I watched the movies, to get up to date with the story, and I loved it. The atmosphere, the sound, the special effect (by the times standards) were amazing. And that is exactly everything what Colonial Marines missed. There is no atmosphere as the Xenomorphs just come running towards you in stead of lurking in the shadows, the sounddesign is sooo poorly done it barely makes me care about anything that is happening, and the graphics are mediocre at its very best. I decided to give it a 4/10 because this game actually made me watch the movies and made me love them. It could have been an okay 6/10 title if they would have released it as an indie game. Expand
  22. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I made a account just to write the review, This is by far one of the biggest letdowns i have ever experianced, even bigger than the time you find out santa wasnt real. For those that think this is a worthy sequel to the movies are dead wrong, the story is so garbage, and even when you find out about a main character from the Aliens movie about how they got there he says and i quote "Well thats another story" a HUGE slap in the face for fans of the movie. The aliens dont feel like aliens, they run on the walls, jump off and jump right in front of your rifle making easy kills and turning them into cannon fodder, infact i found them to be so stupid i found fighting the mercs more harder, until you reach the spitters, In fact you keep fighting the mercs more than the aliens, WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO FIGHT IN A ALIENS GAME! There are some positives in the game, One particular mission called The Raven i found to be fun and scary. In this mission you have your guns taken away and must escape a Large xeno which you cannot kill in any means until you reach the end, during this you are chased deeper into the sewer where you find what became of hudson and just after that you find tons of husks of zenomorphs only to find out that some are still alive and very dangerous, you must move silently and quietly through the sewer as these zenos are blind but will explode if they find you. The new guns they have added fit right in the game as if they were always there, the sounds are all genuine and locations are movie accurate...however that does not spare it from the horrible AI from both the enemy and your Ally team mates, not to mention the horrible story which should have never left the planning room, i hate to say this but this feels like a bait and switch if you saw the 2011 demo link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xFSYsy0rk 7:50 minutes in is the best example, when you do get to what could be that point in the game it is nowhere near as epic as shown in the demo.

The only real fun you can have is with the multiplayer, lots of customisation for both marines and xenos, not to mention grusome executions when playing as zeno. However even this is not worth the ammount of money they are asking. My only wish is that they will somehow be able to drag this out of the toliet and give this the love and attention that was shown in the 2011 demo....
  23. Mar 2, 2013
    I could not put more than 10min into this! I can forgive week graphics, the lame story, dumb UI design ,and really REALLY bad voice actors who seamed like they were sleep talking...; but I can not get past the fact that this is not even close to finished. The AI does not seem to care if I am even playing. I can walk right up to the aliens and they ignore me because they seem to be perfecting the "harlem shake". Get this, you can play with a buddy in co-op on the same screen... BUT you can not play verses with them on the same screen... WTH I am so pissed at this game I am writing this review.... I am so pissed that I want my $2 dollars and 10mins back from renting this garbage! Duke Nukem was better! Expand
  24. Mar 3, 2013
    Although visually 'pretty' the, the game was let down by over-dramatics and odd musical themes. I would be looking elsewhere, probably minecraft for my next gaming fix. Thanks a lot.
  25. Apr 7, 2013
    The game itself is not THAT bad, i would give it 4/10 compared to other current AAA game releases.
    However, the amount of lies and misinformation from Gearbox should be punished so that other companies will learn the lesson from this. Hence the 0/10 rating.
  26. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a much shorter amount of time. True minecraft may be easier to work with when you don't have to worry about many things like graphics, but that's what so sad about it, minecraft doesn't need to be a fancy game to be fun. This game is an abomination and will more than likely leave a scar on the face of gearbox's franchise. If they hope to redeem themselves, then they had better work out a large rework of the game as well as some interesting DLCs for those who pre-purcased or purchased the season pass. Sadly this kind of lazy programming isn't exactly something unexpected as in borderlands 2 it runs rampant as well as the fanboy/girl programmers seemed to be too busy making easter eggs to reference other games and t.v. shows that they failed to do things such as perceive that a melee skill tree isn't too viable in a game based on mainly guns or that perhaps they need another use for eridium besides sdu upgrades, which become quickly maxed out, and raid bosses, which i don't understand the point of using eridium for anyways. Anyhow if gearbox isn't willing to give a full refund for all who purchased the game, especially those who pre-purchased it, then they honestly deserve to go under for their horrendous attention to their (once) loyal customers. Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    So this is Gearbox and its CEO:s Randy Pitchford dreamproject which they hyped so much. Pile of absolute garbage with full pricetag and deceiving advertising, like that demo they showed before release which actually looked decent. Talk about deception and lying. You had six years time to finish this and we get this, mediocre shooter with five hour campaign, aliens you can ran past, and human opposites. Who wants to shoot humans in Aliens game? Shame on you Gearbox! Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    The marriage of a first-person shooter and the Alien franchise should be a perfect fit, especially from Gearbox, a team rooted in the genre. And yet, the pairing eludes a happy ending once again. Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't disappointing because it couldn't live up to lofty expectations, it's disappointing because it turned out to be such an unfettered disaster.
  29. Mar 11, 2013
    Many of you should be ashamed for black balling this game so horribly. I've had many hours of entertaining game play out of it. and half of you never even picked it up and feel you can review it. 47 hours of enjoyment this game has given me. try and get that at your local bar for 50 bucks.
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is not all its cracked up to be. pretty let down by this one. average graphics, tedious storyline, substandard weapons, cheesy in game conversations. shame could have been so much better!
  31. Apr 5, 2013
    The worst game i have played in the last 2 years. The story is complete Bulls**t and doesn't fully acknowledge the films. The graphics are terrible, even on the PC. The multiplayer is broken and very frustrating to play.

Game Play 3
    Story 1
    Multiplayer 2
    Graphics -1
  32. May 4, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is not a great game under any criteria.

The game is set in the same universe and location like the original movies, LV-426, a planet which actually isn't a planet, it's a moon, bigger than average ones.

The story is set after the events from the original 1986 movie Aliens. In the game you revisit the iconic locations from the original 2 movies, but in a
    different way. The plot is a very simple one, which relatively lacks of originality. You assume the role of a a Colonial Marine called Christopher Winter, and your mission is to check an SOS left by Dwayne Hicks, one of the main characters in the Aliens movie. From here it's obvious what's next, you find that the place is infested and you must later fight to survive. Very simplistic. However, even so, the game's chaotic development leaves his mark. The best citation can be ,,The game sounds like Aliens, looks like Aliens, but unfortunately, it doesn't play like Aliens., IGN. This citation captures exactly how the game is, the level design isn't really horrible, but is not ground-breaking like other games from today's standards. The graphics are as simple as possible, with simple shadows, banal lightning effects and banal textures. Beyond the graphic design, the story also draws criticism, it lacks of consistency and it takes only @5-6 or 9(on harder/hardest difficulty) to be completed, so is quite short. Also the story is very chaotic at some parts, like progressing with no sense during the levels, basically just ,,Shoot the bad guys in this room, then continue playing,, . And also many people(including I at some points) is like a sort of Call of Duty: Weyland Yutani, and I partially agree here, for me is a sort of a Sci-Fi Counter-Strike. Is centered more on shooting humans than aliens, and more on combat than the story itself. Again, the story doesn't make much sense at many parts, especially when you find that Bishop and Hicks have survived, but rather than make light, it makes you even more confusing. It's reveal that Hicks was captured and interrogated but nothing more abut how he's been captured. Same with Bishop, where is nothing revealed about how it survived. In game play and value terms the game is mediocre, is based on one of the best sci-fi horror-thriller movies ever made, but the game is a shame. It captures the alien in banal encounters many times, and the tension suffers. Is also insufficient in value term, we we're promised a far better game in both story and design in the trailers and E3 demos, but the final product is lower in quality and a lot different, and doesn't stand up at the price as well, seriously, it isn't worth 50$, I'd say 15-20$, but not more. I also greatly dislike the patches, because they fix things that we're not supposed to be there. Improved the AI to be more aggressive and responsive, added many effects and some graphically redesigned places? Fixed some circumstances in where the aliens could've used erratic animations? This all are bugs and glitches which must have never been in a game, doesn't matter this or other and improvements that must have never be cut. It wasn't able to run on consoles? Then where we've seen the game running in some game plays? This is just a lie, haven't we all seen Crysis? It has ridiculous requirements, but somehow it looks and runs well on consoles, and also has a good replay value and design. Also the iconic weapons are only used a ridiculous amount of time, only max. 10min. to use the Smart Gun and no more ammo to be found for it? Really? The characters aren't really well developed as well, you can't describe many marine's personality. The development was very chaotic, and why put others work on your dream? TimeGate Studios for single player and Nerve Software for multilayer? Why? You said it was your dream and you love the franchise. The coop as well isn't really awesome included, you can play in the campaign with up to 3 more friends, which I find really cool, despite it doesn't feature additional objectives and locations. In visuals and performance, the console versions were terribly optimized, by having many visual glitches , and unbelievable low resolution textures, cut shaders and several bad effects. This were the bad parts, but there somehow are some good ones. The weapons sound, look and behave exactly like in the movies, the game has a very well made sewer level where you have no guns and you must escape from the explosive aliens. That's aliens! Very exciting and tensioned. The first DLC and the multiplayer are well made, despite the multiplayer doesn't feature a lot of maps, but they offer lot of fun and are having a great value. Excluding the coop flaws, is Drop-In Drop-Out so you don't have to restart a level of some annoying things. So in the end, A:CM has some good stuff inside, but too many problems, however there are 3 more DLCs so who knows, maybe Gearbox is preparing a surprise for us. Expand
  33. May 9, 2013
    I am sure any positive reviews of this game must be fake, it is terrible. I have played it for 90 minutes and every time I try starting it up I am so disappointed that I almost immediately shut it down...
  34. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aliens Colonial Marines picks up where Alien 3 left off. Although this is a game, if you've been waiting for a true sequel to the first 3 Alien films, then this is it. Not only does Bishop make a return appearance, but Hicks as well. The
    cinematic movies after the completion of each stage unravels the continuing story of the Alien Colonial Marines and their run-ins with the weyland yutani Corporation, that does all it can to preserve the Alien species, while the marines
    try to stop them. This time though, not only will they both have to survive the onslaught of the Alien hordes, but they will both be pitted against each other. The story takes place back on planet LV-426, where the aliens have completely
    over-run the now abandoned terraforming colony. Some locations will be familiar to you from the movie Aliens, while others will be completely new. The dev's have done an excellent job of incorporating the atmosphere of the movies into the
    game as if you are really there. Being a big fan of the alien films, I really couldn't find anything in this game to complain about. The auto save feature does make progression difficult if you contiue to die before the next check point,
    but for some reason it didn't bother me that much. There were times in the game where I would recall moments from the movie Aliens where I would have to survive in the same manner as the marines from the movie... setting up sentry bots,
    cutting and welding doors back together etc. All while fighting off swarms of aliens trying to survive and protect my squad. I got that same urgency I got from the films while playing the game. It really hit home.
    If you're a fan of the Alien movies and want to live the next chapter of the Alien franchise then don't miss out on this gem.
  35. Jun 25, 2013
    Another failure after a DNF. Bad graphics, boring gameplay. The game is appalling for its quality, it is strange that the second project after Duke Nukem Forever has such poor quality.
  36. Jul 28, 2013
    Ok let’s start from the beginning, I am aware of the negative reviews this game has, especially regarding graphics, clumsy AI and bad textures. Well everybody has their opinion and here is mine…
    In a few words: the game is awesome, so fun to play, amazing in coop, scary as hell sometimes… should you buy it? Yes! Get it on a sale!
    Now if you want to know more about specific details, then
    then read my full review below:
    •If you are an aliens fan, then you are gonna love this one, it stays true to the original saga, if you are not an alien fan then probably you are not going to like this game very much and you should get another kind of “Alien” FPS like Crysis or Bulletstorm, but if you liked the original movies you are gonna love how this game is full of references and follows what happens in aliens (2) movie and fits very well in the story, I watched the movie again to see a few things and they did a great job with details, for example: when you find the abandoned automatic turret guns they left in the movie you notice there are 10 rounds left in one of them… just like the movie. The details are everywhere! They even used the original actors’ voices like Lance Henriksen doing Bishop’s.
    •The AI I noticed some strange behavior in the aliens sometimes, but it’s not game breaking, actually the aliens are aggressive and agile and they move just like in the movie, so get ready for some scary moments (they will come out from the walls, ceiling and floor, the motion tracker adds extra suspense!) and great battles (including that cargo robot Ripley used in the movie)
    •The graphics/ textures To be honest they are not outstanding, but if you can max them out they will look nice and better than console versions. Now if you are looking for the next crysis or battlefield then look somewhere else.
    If you are ok with games like L4D then you should be fine and also the physx are nice too, you will get a tense atmosphere as if you were in the movie.
    •Coop is super fun and exciting! I love coop FPSs and considering there aren’t many this one is a good option.
    Yeah Borderlands 2 is way superior in everything, but I got my ACM on sale during the summer event on steam so if you can get it on a 75% off sale It’s a great buy!
  37. Aug 24, 2013
    Perhaps this is the best game in the universe Aliens. Battle scene in the style of the film by James Cameron. Beautiful graphics (on a PC), intense gameplay. This old-school shooter in the tradition of Halo and Half-Life. Interesting and clever intelligence of enemies, especially the behavior of the aliens. Hurricane multiplayer with great tactical capabilities, multiple modes of multiplayer game. After the release of all the DLC and patches, the game deserves the highest marks! Highly recommend it! Especially fans of the franchise. Expand
  38. Aug 31, 2013
    Easily one of the most disappointing games of 2013, I am a huge fans of Aliens and I couldn't wait to play this game when it got announced many years ago. When I played this game I was greeted with terrible graphics, boring gameplay, horrible A.I and boring story. I just can't believe that FOX has approved this and made it canon to the film! What a joke.

On the bright side, The
    multi-player was fun while it lasted, Shame really as Gearbox seemed to care more about the online gameplay than the actual campaign.

If you REALLY want to play this... Well you know what to do.
  39. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People have made this game look like an absolute waste of time. well, it wasn´t! I loved it, it felt simply amazing standing in LV-426, the game started off the strangest way, making me fight against wey-yu soldiers since the beginning (certainly wasn´t expecting that) but it soon returned to killing aliens everywhere... it made every different alien class play an important role in the game, the main character was pretty awesome... lighting and sound efects where AWESOME!!... and the script was generally awesome, the only thing I didn´t like about it, was that most of the game you´re rescuing someone, or you´re getting rescued.... it´s okay rescuing people, but having to rescue the same character twice it´s not that cool. anyways, the AI was bad, your teammates are idiots and the aliens are a little predictable, but the atmosphere of the game has a pretty amazing job, so it doesn´t feel repetitive at all. I´d give it an 80, but since everyone is about it, I´ll give it a 100. Expand
  40. Nov 25, 2013
    Well I thought the game was fun, lol it wasn't scary I've never thought games are scary though... but graphically it was good. I did beat it in 8-9 hours though that is way to short I keep reading complaints about AI not helping enough, I play the game by myself and don't rely on AI to play it for me lol so the whining about AI assistance is pointless, and xeno attacks on main character is understandable, since AI is useless lol. ANYWAY its a cool game I'll play it again! Expand
  41. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a last generation game that tries to use basic tools to create an experience worthy of the alien franchise. Game technology has moved on, so it falls short of expectations. However, it makes what I feel to be a very strong attempt at putting the gamer in the position of a marine living the Alien storyline.

In detail, the story is strong, placing the gamer in all the environments
    of the alien story, although no new ones. Close knit corridors, spacecraft and rocky planet surfaces. The enemies you face are varied both in type and species, meaning that combat is mixed up nicely. You also progress with a set of likeable comrades, which prevents the game becoming 'lonely'.

However, as a game coming out close to 'crysis'. It really doesn't match up. The graphics are average and the AI is pretty weak, especially for allies that occasionally get lost.

I enjoyed this game, but it suffers from a poor technological footing and the resulting failure to meet expectations.
  42. Nov 28, 2013
    The people who rated this game have no knowledge of the alien universe this game is really good ,and has great multiplayer an awesome campaign following the aliens moves story line and deserves at least an 80, this is a good game and the people who rated it low don't know what they're talking about. In fact if you bought it for 10 dollars that's like getting black flag for 20. This game deserves better and you can help it get there. Expand
  43. Jan 9, 2014
    I really can`t understand all those bad Ratings. I enjoy the game, like the gameplay and the atmosphere !
    Even the graphics are not the best I have seen, the game looks good.
    The only thing to complain ist the fact, that there is no quicksave.
  44. Jul 15, 2013
    OMFG... was this necessary? I've been waiting for this game like hell, and this...

I don't want to talk much: STAY AWAY. This game is a disaster, both technical and artistic... maybe it's in fact the worst FPS game for about 10 years. I just can't imagine what Gearbox was thinking... this game is unnacceptable.
  45. Feb 14, 2013
    I don't need to write a review on Aliens: Colonial Marines, as all that needs to be said has been said, but I wanted to rant about an experience I had with the game, and I'm not even done with it yet. I really tried to look past all of the bad reviews and just experience the single player campaign for myself. Honestly I have been actually enjoying the game. I did find a few flaws with it: Like my two AI buddies being able to run right through each other. Aliens can also occupy the exact same space as well. I'm not sure why they didn't allow for colliders on the 3D entities. Also, the music sometimes would work, and other times it wouldn't work. I would have these firefights, that seemed kind of bland, and I would notice that no music was going on. Then I would get killed, and when the scene restarted, there would be music there. That is the equivalent of going through a haunted house, and one of the animatronics breaking down during the ride. I guess my biggest gripe is that the game appeared not to have been tested before release. Expand
  46. Nov 6, 2013
    Crapbox strikes again. many rumors surround the infamous development cycle this game went through. Outsourcing most of the work, stealing funds from this project and putting them into their other games, etc. But one thing is certain. Gearbox never cared at all about this game. It's a complete disaster from start to finish. The only redeeming quality about this game is that it takes place in the Aliens universe, which is awesome. Being a big Aliens fan, my review score is a bit higher than it normally would be if I didn't care about the license (probably a 2 or 3/10). Other than that, Aliens is a stale shooter which offers entirely linear gameplay and uninteresting multiplayer. The story is confusing and nonsensical, the characters are completely forgettable and there is no reason to care for any of them. While the voice acting for some of the characters is actually quite good, the lip syncing is terrible. Graphics and effects and other sounds are well below par. The AI is among the worst I've ever seen. The list goes on and on. The only people that should even think about buying this game are fans of the Aliens franchise. Everyone else needs to stay far away. After three disaster games in a row (Duke Nuke, Borderlands 2, and now this), Crapbox has shown they have no ability whatsoever to make a good modern game. Stay away from this crap developer and anything that they happen to spawn. Expand
  47. Feb 15, 2013
    i gave it a six out of ten, basically i enjoyed the game, it wasn't until it was pointed out that the game was nothing like what the demo promised i felt cheated a little, but hoping the devs can do something to keep supporting the franchis with animation,Ai and texture upgrades, and hopefully do what Bioware did with ME3 and release some "extended version" DLC cutscenes to better explain the storyline. I hope gearbox, and Randy don't abandon this franchise, it CAN BE MADE RIGHT you can start by releasing a HD texture pack and a lighting overhaul Expand
  48. Nov 24, 2013
    The Marines are pretty useless in SP above recruit level and this is 'sorely' evident even with all the updates. This game is still unbalanced and broke when you get to fight with giant alien in a powerloader in such a rinse and repeat battle on soldier level and above. It is the most facepalm part of any game I have encountered in along while, and I have been gaming along time too.

Never forgive Sega/Gearbox for basically a initially very poor effort on release and making the game less crappy overtime. A more perfected A.I, more Aliens and less WU forces and this game could of have been great 'ALIEN' game. Plus having to buy the DLC Stasis Interrupted due to a big chunk of the ACM plot missing was a really bad and unfair move by the publishes/developers.
  49. Feb 21, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to this game for quite a while and my initial reaction to single player was massive disappointment. The AI of both enemies and friendlies leaves a lot to be desired. I'd often lose my AI team mates, or they'd get stuck or even more annoying frequently walk in the way. The team mate damage was pitiful but it's a common thing when you play single player shooters, you are supposed to be the one doing the killing. The single player levels are repetitive, aim down sights is actually fairly inaccurate and the graphics weren't at the quality they were represented in 'gameplay demos'. The story and characters were also lacking in depth, nothing really drew me into the aliens universe.

All that being said the multiplayer gameplay really shines. I enjoyed all game modes and despite a few problems in the days after release with matchup delays in AU I found it a really enjoyable experience and made the pre-order cost worth the money I paid ($35 AU on GMG).

Overall the game is ok, but all of the real aliens feel of the game for me came from the multiplayer. At the time of writing there are still a few glitches with character voices which can be mostly overlooked, often the marines call out when they are dead or just use sound bytes that aren't relevant to the activity.
  50. Feb 13, 2013
    First off I enjoyed this game to a point, there are however some glaring problems that just should not have made it through to the final product. AI dropping off completely, this happens all the time. A team member will randomly just stand around doing nothing; enemies will walk straight past them as they stare off blankly into space. Aliens will find a spot to zone out and wait for you to shoot them. This can be a problem if you are required to kill everything in some points of the game to progress onwards, it did not happen to me but if it does happen it will be game breaking.

Textures, there are so many bad textures, Gearbox are terrible for this, optimisation is no excuse on a PC version of a game. In 2013 I should not be looking at textures in a game that aren’t even up to par with the original Alien vs. Predator. That is where my complaints end, I didn’t notice any kill streaks or such garbage during my play through, the story had decent pacing and some decent elements and a few good twists to the Alien creature itself that made for some good reference material when thinking back to the movies. There are a few eye roll moments and some small plot holes, that don’t have much of a negative impact on the plot. It is a big fan service, and people who aren’t diehard fans of the franchise will be left feeling a bit ripped off.

The gun play was quite good, the sound assets were brilliant, there could however be a bit more kick to the rifles, all they do is spread. The old pulse rifle needs to have a bit of jump to it and the fact that the grenade launcher by default is the “f” key makes for some frustrating moments as being used to other games that the use key is f will get you killed in a close quarters situation, like trying to open a door. It’s an easy rebinding, but still a pain that it was not really well thought out.
    Overall I give AcM a 6/10, it definitely needs work. Hopefully the modding community will get on top of a texture pack, and Gearbox will patch the godforsaken AI. It’s not going to be for everyone, and I can understand the disappointment in it, saying to go in without expectations for the canonical sequel to one of the best sci-fi movies ever made is stupid, I would say that diehard fans should check it out when at the very least a decent patch comes out. Shame on you Gearbox, you can do so much better.
  51. Jun 23, 2013
    WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? This game is pure trash. Broken AI, horrible graphics, terrible story and most of the time you shoot humans??? I give this 1 and not 0 cause i like aliens, but this game is really bad joke
  52. Feb 20, 2013
    I love this game, it worth every penny I spent. Seriously people, it's not that bad. Let's look at the problem people are talking about: Graphic Sucks Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3 before, it's graphic is way worst than ACM, it's story is uninspired and makes no sense at all, but it scores 7.5 on gamespot, really? If we apply the standard people enforce on ACM, every game needs to have Crysis level graphics and big-shot writer script to be call a decent game. But since it's obviously we don't judge a game by it's graphics, than why does ACM gets so much more hate for this?

AI is stupid, no challenge unless play the hardest difficulty

I finished the game on Soldier difficulty, I don't even know where is this opinion coming from, the AI is fine in my opinion. Yes sometimes your AI teammates get stuck on some places, but it's not like it never happened to other games before, and for me it only happens 1~2 times so it didn't bothers me at all. Enemy Xenomorph are fairly intelligent, I heard people are complaining about “They only charge at you, they don't flank you or anything.” I have to say from my own experience, the xenos can move very fast and surround you very quickly if you don't have a good aim, also they pounce at you from a distance sometimes, makes you have to keep pressing E to survive, I say they are fairly challenging. Don't forget the Xenos outnumbering the player by a huge percentage, if they all play hide and seek and being very smart, marines won't have a chance! You wouldn't have a game here.

Story makes no sense, bad ending.

I partially agree with this, the game could use a better story, the ending is a bit abrupt yes, but understandable.(sort of) But even though, I don't think the story is THAT bad, not bad enough to warrant all the hate it got anyway.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the mindset you got when you play the game. If you got all hyped up by the PR, then you probably going to be very disappointed. But when I play this game I walk into it with one simple mindset

”Kill Xenomorph with Pulse Rifle and Smartgun, visit Sulaco and LV-426, experience the scenes from the movie ”

And I got everything I was paying for, so for me, this game rocks, as for people who expected more than this, unless RIDLEY SCOTT and JAMES CAMERON themselves are working on this project, you are expecting too much from Gearbox.
  53. Jun 20, 2013
    This is a painfully average game, the Aliens franchise deserved a whole lot better than this half-assed thing. The graphics are functional, nothing otherworldly, but bear in mind that this is more accurate after the 4GB patch, but an important gotcha, they look nothing, and I mean NOTHING like what they show on the demo footage, it's a ripoff and a trick to get you to buy something that it's not what you're seeing. The storyline is frankly the stupidest and most damaging thing I've seen inflicted on this series, there is a plot hole so freaking huge that the mystery character that appears just says "too long to explain", that's it, that's the explaination for shamelessly raping the movie Aliens.
    There is a pointless cameo of Hadley's Hope, just fan service, which granted, could have been nice, but is so underwhelming that I wish I hadn't played that part, I love the move Aliens so much that playing through that and getting so disappointed was damaging to the soul of a hardcore fan such as me; it's surprising how little damage a thermonuclear explosion caused on the main colony complex.
    The characters are forgettable, honestly I remember more, and had way more fun with the main characters from Aliens vs Predator 2 (great game, btw).
    The action is fast paced, but the enemy AI is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while, these are the most charming, most tame Aliens I've ever seen, they really do their best not to hurt you, adorable! You see hints of good ideas, like sometimes you see them hiding in the shadows, and they fail at leaping at you, or attempting to attack after you shoot them, painfully easy.
    The multiplayer is horrible and boring, I haven't seen an Aliens game with xenomorphs so stiff to move! The marines are far more suited for combat than the aliens.
    Avoid this game if you're an Aliens fan (though if you're one, you'll probably make the same mistake I did and not heed to advice
  54. Feb 14, 2013
    Pros: Graphics are fitting to the gameplay, Story line is well done and fitting in nicely with the movies story lines. Marines don't move at super speeds so its not a twitch shooter. Hardest setting makes it feel like movies. Running out of ammo and bugs coming out of the walls and you'll dead fast if your not watching your step.

Cons: Multiplayer is a little weak due to no AI aliens
    to help swarm the marines...It would be something nice to see if added... Deathmatch and cap the flag modes are dull.... Seen a few bugs with the AI friendly/foes yet I've seen this in games such as Skyrim and so on... With a few patches should be good.. Is this game worth your time Yes if you like Aliens... Far better than the AVP games Expand
  55. Nov 25, 2013
    I can't help but feel sad about Alien fans, who paid the full retail price to play this title. I paid $5 and I feel like that was a waste of money, as I didn't even have the desire to finish it... Library Delete Local Content.... Done. Now I feel better.
  56. Jul 23, 2013
    The sound is great, the graphics are average and the gameplay feels like a bad call of duty, but I still enjoyed this game, it has things to be enjoyed and things that just suck, If you don't care about the bad campaign just go onto multiplayer and have fun, after 6 years this is what we get? it's disappointing at some point, still likeable though.
  57. Apr 21, 2013
    First cancelled in 2001, then in development since 2006 and cancelled twice again and then released in 2013, just 3 years after AVP remake and what did we get? Graphics lamer than AVP 2010, enemies with worst AI since Rogue Warrior, more game bugs than "bugs" in the game, unimpressive plot, dumb dialogs and voice acting, the biggest failure of 2013 an a game that will end up in Top 10 Worst Games/Disappointing Games of the decade 2010-2019. The only things that saved this game from getting a 2/10 from me is the commiseration of guns and aliens in Multiplayer and the search for legendary stuff from the original Aliens movie. Over all if you wanna waste time and if you like to shoot and find out secrets like in Doom and to have a good laugh from the glitches and AI then play Colonial Marines. Expand
  58. Feb 14, 2013
    Si bien el juego se ve antiguo, es un gran juego.. la campaña dura solamente 6 horas, pero tiene mucha rejugabilidad por el sistema de lvl y desbloqueos de armas/mejoras. La IA es absurdamente tonta, pero jugando en coop es donde el juego brilla y se hace realmente divertido.
    las texturas son similares a las que tiene el juego Rage de ID Software, de cerca son horribles, pero mirando
    desde cierta distancia la ambientacion es muy bien lograda.
    El juego podria ser mejor? si
    pero lo compensa con un modo multiplayer que cuando funciona, es realmente divertido.
    mi puntaje es un 7, y si hubiera tenido mejores graficas el puntaje seria mayor.
  59. Feb 14, 2013
    I realize a lot of people are pissed about the long development and the over-hyping from the publishers, but as a serious fan of the films, I found A:CM enjoyable and worthwhile. I pre-paid my $50 and I don't feel like I've been ripped off, especially since I started diving into the multiplayer modes, which I already know I'm going to spend WAY too much time with. Some specifics:

PROS: It's fun! I enjoyed the hell out of the SP campaign, warts and all. Yeah, it's a bit short, but the challenges, some of which are really difficult, and the hidden items (dog tags, legendary weapons, audio logs) give it replay value. I'll probably give it another go on the hardest difficulty. A few of the sections are truly difficult, and I like that there's no quicksave/quickload option it makes the sequences a lot more suspenseful than other shooters where you can save every 5 seconds. Several of the sequences were downright nerve-wracking, such as the alien zombies that respond to sound, and the final battle with the Queen. I've only spent a few hours with the MP modes but I can already tell I'm going to become obsessed with leveling up my profiles. Playing as the xenomorphs is unexpectedly fun and rewarding once you get the hang of it. CONS: SP campaign story is pretty freaking silly. I've seen these movies hundreds of times (literally) and the attempt to connect ALIENS and ALIEN 3 while keeping Hicks alive is beyond ludicrous (his "explanation" of who was in his ejected cryotube on the EEV is a howler for the ages). Having Hicks in this story is totally unnecessary fan service. I love that you run across Hudson's corpse at one point, and I even like the legendary weapons and the dog tags that are spread everywhere (even though they're found in locations that the movie characters could have never been in). They work in references to all the movies even PROMETHEUS, which doesn't make a shred of sense, obviously, but I appreciated the effort. Overall, though, it's the setting you play for and on my PC with everything maxed out the locations looked great. Some tearing here and there, but the aliens are very detailed. The AI is not great, but not the worst I've ever seen either. I DEFINITELY wouldn't describe it as "broken" as so many others had. The cut-scenes are not very good, however. The dialogue/acting is fine (well, okay, the dialogue is often pretty awful) but the facial detail/animation is really bad and looks unfinished. And the scenes appear to be rendered in 720p, or maybe even lower.

In closing, maybe this should have had more polish it before it shipped, but it is nowhere close the trainwreck everyone is complaining about. Taken out of context of the ridiculous hype, it's a solid, fun shooter that any fan of the films is likely to enjoy for many, many hours.
  60. Feb 15, 2013
    It has some glaring issues that could be repaired in future patches. From a single player perspective, the writing is sub-standard although supposed to be canon and there are portions of voice acting where the NPC's sound as if they don't care for the script. Even still, with a multiplayer group, and the highest difficulty settings some fun may still be had by a few gamers. I wouldn't recommend it for someone solely wishing to play single-player mode, as it has no new game or replay value. Expand
  61. Feb 22, 2013
    I was really excited for this game, it was in development for quite a while but the end product wasn't the best outcome. The AI is TERRIBLE espically your teamate AI's they always seem to get in your way. The fact that a lot of the missions involve you fighting other humans was also a HUGE let down. I mean a little bit of human skirmishes would have been alright but the amount of missions that you fight them is ridiculus, The game is pretty fun Co-op wise. P.S The boss battle takes like 2 minutes to beat. Expand
  62. Feb 23, 2013
    Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, however I was surprised how fun this game was, I mean I read the reviews and didn't expect much but I bought it just because I a a huge fan of the movies. I was expecting something not so good but I ended up with a very fun game, especially if you co-op with some buddies. I can honestly say that this game is way underrated, I mean just look at COD black ops 2 which is a horrible game, possibly the worst fps I ever played and it gets what? like 80 metascore? please give me a break, that game deserves nothing over 50 and I would say ACM deserves about 70 from an objective point of view. Expand
  63. May 23, 2013
    I was so disappointed with the games graphics, I was looking forward to this coming out after seeing a preview clip on line, but theirs nothing ,lacks atmosphere and badly designed story line, played for 2 hours that was enough try turning the brightness down- gives it a little atmosphere, better still turn it off completely
  64. May 23, 2013
    First of all: I cannot play it without Gold membership. Second: The gameplay is pure crap Third: it copies Left 4 Dead Fourth: It feels like a mentally retarted cat is controlling the AI Fifth: the story has been eatened, swallowed, thrown up, Eaten again, and got dumped in the toilet. Sixth: I was just lucky I got it for a free rental on GameFly.com. I wouldm't bear spending a single dollar on this.
    and Seventh:
  65. Mar 11, 2013
    Is Sega’s attempt at staying “true” to the Aliens Franchise really worth it? Reviewing Aliens: Colonial Marines

The is Back!! The Aliens franchise has been through numerous sequels and mash ups and with the most recent origin story, Prometheus, the series has only become more forgettable. With Colonial Marines, it is now Sega’s turn to take up the banner of this once glorious
    franchise. Read on to know more about their attempts to make the audience sit back and take notice.

Read More: http://gamingimho.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/is-segas-attempt-at-staying-true-to-the-aliens-franchise-really-worth-it-reviewing-aliens-colonial-marines/
  66. Dec 28, 2013
    Colonial marines is example of the player saddening infection of heavy preordering of games makes the games less needy to be polished and well finished.
    The more you preorder, the more you get unfinished games ,
    ruined with business.
    "hey guys finish this one fast, so we can sell another one already"
  67. Apr 16, 2013
    First off, I'd like to say that I miss the absence of ironsights in games. Just leveling your crosshair over a monster and pressing the fire button was satisfying, and made you feel like a badass. Nowadays, firing from the hip is a sure way to never hit your target if you use anything other than a shotgun.

That being said, I'd like to add another preface. I LOVE the Alien and Predator
    franchises, and my first true 3D shooter (I don't count Doom as true 3D. It used 2D sprites) was Aliens versus Predator 2. I treasured that game. I played it over and over. When AvP 2010 came out, I almost messed my pants. I loved that one too, but not as much as AvP 2. The one thing those two had in common was the LACK OF IRON SIGHTS. Sci-Fi games that take place in the future shouldn't have iron sights. That mechanic is there to add a sense of realism to the game.

ANYTHING INVOLVING THE ALIENS FRANCHISE IS ANYTHING BUT REALISTIC. So why have ironsights in Colonial Marines? I didn't see anybody using a scope or sights in the movie. They all fired from the hip. So why inject a military shooter mechanic into a sci-fi/horror game? I'll tell you: To cater to the CoD jocks and Battlefield frat boys. I just need to say that this needs to stop. Some of us don't want realism or a cover system in our RPGs (Mass Effect 2 and 3) or iron sights in our sci-fi and horror games (Aliens: CM, Fallout: New Vegas)!

Anyways, that is my main complaint with this game. If there weren't any iron sights, this game would have earned an 8.5 in my books. A lot of people complained about the A.I, and when it comes to squad members, I totally agree. They are dumb as rocks. The Alien A.I wasn't as spotty as some professional game reviewers made them out to be. The lore states that the individual xeno is about as intelligent as an insect. Their tactics and cunning is derived from the Queen, and the further they are from her, the dumber they get. People were expecting that the xeno A.I would try to outsmart them, but the fact of the matter is, Gearbox got their behavior patterns spot on. I went into this game fully expecting the xenos to run blindly into my bullets one after another, in a primitive attempt to make me exhaust all of my ammo so I would be defenseless when the next wave attacked. Guess what? They did. I couldn't be happier.

The human enemies behaved typically enough. Run to cover, lean out, squeeze off a few shots, take cover, throw grenade if I'm in cover, move up closer, flanking, melee when I try to brain them with my rifle. Run of the mill stuff. Like I said: Typical. No different from any other FPS I've played.

Pre-Rendered cutscenes in Alies:CM suffered the same way the ones in Deus Ex: Human Revolution did. They were uglier than the in-game cutscenes and the developers could have made them better by using the game engine instead of the crap rendering they chose to use.

Now for the story and voice acting: The story had more holes than swiss cheese, and the only decent voice actor was Lance Henriksen, the original actor who portrayed Bishop and Bishop Weyland in the Alien and AvP movies. The rest of them sounded like they just got their certificate of completion from the acting class at the learning annex.

Finally, the gameplay. Action packed, sometimes suspenseful, moody as all hell, atmosphere was spot-on. Animations could have used a little more polish, but graphics were very pretty, even on low settings. Glitches weren't very frequent. A few clipping issues here, some A.I pathing problems there, spazzy ragdolls were present (always funny), but nothing game breaking. I didn't experience any crashes, even on launch day (yes, I pre-ordered) before the first patch release.

Weapons felt real, visceral, and powerful. Although there were a plethora of options to choose from, I found myself only using the Pulse Rifle and the Shotgun, only switching out when I ran out of ammo. That brings up a nice feature. Aliens:CM doesn't force you to choose only 2 or 3 weapons. You can switch out to ANY weapon you have unlocked at any time through the use of a quick-access wheel overlay without disrupting the action. I loved this feature the most, because it reminded me of AvP 2, where you could carry all of your weapons at once. Upgrading your weapons is a nice feature, but sadly, you can never upgrade your Pulse Rifle to carry 99 bullets per clip like in the movies and previous games in the Aliens franchise.

I never played multiplayer, but I heard its the only saving grace for this game.

My conclusion: Aliens: Colonial Marines could have been a great game. If there were no iron sights, it would have been a game worthy of Gearbox Software's legendary reputation. Instead, the game soiled it. Gearbox dropped the ball on this one simply because they felt the need to cater to the CoD and Battlefield fanboys. This title is worthy of a $25 dollar pricetag. NOT $60. I would only recommend paying full price if you are a die-hard Aliens fan.
  68. May 3, 2013
    The game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 because I'm a fan of the movies and previous AvP games and as I said it could of been worse (like throwing on walls and slapping wall seriously) Expand
  69. Jun 3, 2013
    Overall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding and the balance is very good too. And the maps are very well designed too. Expand
  70. Nov 7, 2013
    So you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuation however sloppy to "Aliens." The story to "Aliens: Colonial Marines" basically details a war between the United States Colonial Marines and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation's private army of heavily armed hired mercenaries, who are illegally breeding the hideous Xenomorph creatures using captured Marines and innocent space colonists as hosts.

It all sounds exciting, doesn't it? But it does have many issues...
  71. Oct 12, 2013
    I got this from sale as a free gift, and I wondered for a while why, because it's only few months old. It's simple: I got this for free because it's garbage, not worth a recommendation even as a free gift. We've got aliens, marines, pulse rifles and Sulaco. And that's about it because somehow the dev managed to deliver one of the worst shooters of 2013, par to Bioshock Infinite. Gunplay is pathetic, why did they add iron sights to... a pulse rifle and shotguns? What? Why do aliens in this game are slowly moving practice targets and most of the game you will play call of duty in space against random WY mercenaries? Why story progression and delivery is so cheesy and terribly annoying, trying to masturbate in your face with "look at that reference! aren't we awesome and nerdy about Aliens the movie?!". Already dead multiplayer without server browser only matchmaking queue you will never get full. I won't even begin with a ton of scandalic alpha- and betalike bugs. Aliens vs Predator 2010 is a masterpiece compared to Colonial Marines. Expand
  72. Jul 7, 2013
    No comment. Oh, wait. So review has to contain at least 150 characters. Well, then: No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment,...
  73. Jul 21, 2013
    The game as-is is not too bad, worth playing for the fans but I can only recommend if on a cheap deal. AI is terrible and graphics should be better, feels like a game from years before hand.
    Most users give hate due to the gameplay demo shown at E3 but the final product is a huge let down and verging on a con.
    The DLC saves the game if you like multiplayer but you have to buy them but
    you shouldn't have to throw money at a bad game to make it playable.
    The later patches have improved it a lot but not saved it completely.
  74. Aug 13, 2013
    The game sposed to be a alien game... but the game hasn't got almost anything about aliens... They took the alien lisence and make it a call of duty rip off. The game had worked for 3 years on this game and thats what they sucseeded so far? The only part I like was those alien focus part... you don't even need to shoot anything whole game exept at the final boss you can just run the WHOLE LEVEL while you are playing on recuit. and even in exterame mod it doesn't changes a lot... Expand
  75. Jul 22, 2013
    This game seems really unpolished when it comes to mechanics. The aliens are derpy and often turn around and jump over crates when completely unnecessary, but when they get to you they pack an annoyingly powerful punch. if something is fast it should not be strong, two or three hits later and you're nearly dead. the aliens clip through the ground, glitch out so they're behind you, and are far too challenging to be fun. but the aliens aren't the worst part, oh no, its the other marines that are the problem. their AI sucks, they do way to much damage, they can blind-fire, and if you try to take cover, they run up behind you and shoot you from behind. but you wouldn't know they where coming because you cant see over cover. seriously, the only way to shoot enemies is to stand up and expose half your body. but they also find ways to shoot you through cover, if you're behind a covered handrail, they'll shoot at your feet. seriously though, this is one of the only games i couldn't play because of how bad it is. i'm really reluctant to go back to playing this. Collapse
  76. Aug 2, 2013
    Długie powstawanie gier często(nie zawsze!) nie wpływa pozytywnie na ich jakość. Taki przykładem jest właśnie Aliens: Colonial Marines który zapowiadał się ciekawie a po wyjściu na światło dzienne został zniszczony przez recenzentów że musiał szybko wracać pod ziemię. Fatalna grafika, kiepska grywalność, bugi, niedopracowanie gry, głupie AI, nudne pomysły, nie wykorzystany potencjał to jedynie połowa z wad które można wstawić temu wybrykowi. Twórcom udało się chodź odrobinę uratować sytuację robiąc chociaż po części nawet(tylko nawet!) ciekawy klimat, który i tak został strasznie nie wykorzystany. Nawet jak dla fana kosmicznej serii o Obcych to tytuł który powinno się omijać z daleka. Moja ocena 4/10 Expand
  77. Aug 4, 2013
    With the 3.8gb patch to fix the graphics the game is very enjoyable. People who purchased the game should give it another try with the patch. The theme music during intense game play gives you the aliens feel to the game. Too bad Gearbox did a screw job on the people who 1st bought it. I got mine and my brother's copy on sale and it's worth every penny.
  78. Aug 7, 2013
    This game have very bad realization. Gearbox do the swindle and deceive about final quality of this game. All aspects of gameplay are bad. Particularly disappointing is slipshod animation of aliens.
  79. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  80. Apr 13, 2014
    Game is hard as hell but being an aliens fan its the challenge that i love best game so far. cant wait for the new one isolation.i love ripley and if this new one comes out i will definitly be excited its her daughter which i didnt know she had.
  81. Oct 29, 2013
    the only thing that actually was fun was the multyplayer, but even that has annoying bugs(invisible walls, wall climb going to on ledges, etc). Single player is boring as hell, definitely not worth the time specially with the retarded story it has going for it and an ending so poorly done that it makes me cringe. Bugs every where in single as well. What ever happened to this game i don't actually know but it is quite far from what we have been presented in the demos.(beside the graphics and quality, there is no smart AI as promised just a few lumps of single minded charging dummies that get stuck sometimes in invisible walls or different objects in the environment scenes showed in the demo are not found in the game, the pulse rifle shot sound seems to be unfinished, and so on...) This game screams unfinished at every corner. It is an insult to any one out there who actually paid for it. this game and the people who ****ed us over. Expand
  82. Oct 30, 2013
    I got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on the fact that there were human enemies beside aliens. Massive let down for a game that had so much potential. Expand
  83. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is Über crap. Pre-ordered the game. Biggest letdown of the year. graphics are outdated and gameplay is boring. No scares at all.. Don't waste money on this..
  84. Nov 20, 2013
    Things I liked a lot...the weapon improvement system, the concept of the game is awesome, BUT it lacks of a 'strong materia' there isnt challenge in the game is weak, is empty...the stuff is cool, I enjoyed pump alliens with the shotgun, but you can ran like a ramboo, and kill lot of the enemies..thats not cool, even I play on veteran..Dont get me wrong, dev guys got the concept, but it lacks on effort and work in its game. Expand
  85. Jan 15, 2014
    This game...is strange. I suppose that everyone expects high results from the shooter, with crazy things happening. Well I did not. I was scared to death, I was inside the story, I understood what was going on, I liked the approach. I enjoyed the damn game. It has its downsides don't get me wrong, the AI lacks of intelligence and sometimes you feel to be in a frag fest rather than in a survival horror. But I liked it. It's like Duke Nukem, everyone wanted something badass...they gave us something badass and trashy as DUKE NUKEM is, it's just the taste of gamers that have changed. As they did with this title.

Multiplayer IMHO is to dump, just remain on the single player campaign and enjoy it.

This doesn't mean that if they did what they promised the game would have been SO MUCH BETTER.
  86. Jan 4, 2014
    The only worthwhile part of this game is the online multiplayer which I can best describe as flawed but fun, however the issues including the fact that the games are only 5 V 5 at most will bore most people quickly. I have had a lot of fun playing it but I can't really recommend it, I mainly like it because Marines versus Aliens is very different from other games I usually play online such as Halo 4, Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3.
    The single-player campaign is worthless and if you are an Aliens franchise fan and were hoping to see a true sequel to Aliens you will only be disappointed and probably pissed off.
    This game was clearly falsely advertised.
  87. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, Gamebox you **** it up, the AI is **** horrible, the friendly AI will **** kill you, and the Aliens literally stay there dancing, or they run right in front of your **** faces, the story is bull **** and now is **** canon for some god damn reason, in the final boss fight you just press some buttons, and it's **** over, and for most of the game you fight **** humans, well the multiplayer is ok, and some missions do have the Aliens feel, but this still a ****ty game, and now in the words of Hudson “Game Over Man". Expand
  88. Jan 28, 2014
    Today, after all patchs and with 3 friends in coop mod, in hard difficulty, it's a real good game! Ok the first release wasn't finished, but currently this game deserves a better rating...
  89. Feb 11, 2014
    To me this game is average. The graphics sure are awesome, but the gameplay and the entire horor feel were not there. was it fun? yes at some points. but for the most part its call of duty but with aliens.
  90. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fair to middlin' time for a bug hunt. Voice acting was abysmal, and the story had potential that it never reached. Only the Prometheus easter egg really lent any interest. Patches released post-release fixed the game and took it from a complete failure to a crippled mess. Whilst shooting and running from Aliens is a blast, its sad that the toy that came with the game as garnish is better than the game itself (if you pre-ordered the collector's edition). Expand
  91. Apr 16, 2014
    Mind numbingly bad frame rate, PS2 quality graphics, bad writting, horrible AI, lame story, fully linear gameplay, and beyond boring characters. Aliens: Colonial Marines is without a doubt one of the worst games of 2013 and quite possibly one of the worst so far in this decade.
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    Its broken, down right unplayable alone, and it looks like it was made in 2007. My feelings for this game range from anger to sadness. Anger due to the fact that it was a flat out lie and sadness due to its potential as an awesome game turned trainwreck.
  93. Mar 25, 2014
    i'll admit the campaign in this game was really bad, but have you played the multiplayer. i watched a lot of youtube reviews on this game and its all about the campaign, and they barely even mention multiplayer. The mulitiplayer on this game was insane fun, it was where the legit scary survivalness part of you kicked in because you had no idea where the xenos would come from, you had to use your motion tracker. but since this game bombed in reviews, it takes like 30 min. to find a game because nobody plays it anymore Expand
  94. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is terrible. From the broken A.I. to the dozen glitches you'll encounter when you play this game (you probably don't want to), this game should be avoided at all costs.

I chose to review this version of the game over the PS3 version even though I played both versions. I chose this version because the graphics should be improved on PC right? Wrong. The PS3 and PC versions look
    ALMOST identical and that is something not be proud of.

The graphics may not be the most important thing, but the same goes for the gameplay. The gameplay is terrible and like I said, has tons of glitches and a bad A.I. that sometimes blocks your way because it is running in circles.

Obviously this game is unpolished and unfinished. I would give this a 0 on the spot, but this game went through development hell and switched studio after studio. I wouldn't bash Gearbox for taking the credit of this game, as they have released gems before such as Borderlands 1 and 2. SEGA rushed Gearbox to complete the rest of the game after the last studio quit.

I just wish they would have kept the graphics and gameplay that we saw in the demo 2 years ago.
  95. Apr 13, 2014
    I really don't know why everyone is **** about this game. This game is pretty decent, sure it's just another COD clone but it's not a **** one. I didn't play the other aliens so I am not an angry fanboy. the shooting works alright and the graphics are not bad but the story is boring as hell. This game is not good and not bad, its not special.
  96. Jul 22, 2013