Aliens: Colonial Marines PC

3.5

1. Mar 24, 2013
    Waste of money. DO NOT BUY. Has the story of a fan-fiction, repetitive boring gameplay, annoying bugs, worst A.I ever, and the multiplayer is pretty bad. Entertained me a bit, but not before that experience being ruined by a crappy bug or just getting bored.
  2. Sep 7, 2013
    To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up.To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up. Overall it's a bland game in which you shoot weapons that doesn't really feel like weapons, at enemies that merely keep scrambling and charging at you with little AI to speak of.

The gameplay and graphics are both one generation behind. You won't want to play Aliens colonial marines when you could have spent about the same amount of money on other top-of-the-line shooters like Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3.
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    I really don't know why everyone is **** about this game. This game is pretty decent, sure it's just another COD clone but it's not a **** one. I didn't play the other aliens so I am not an angry fanboy. the shooting works alright and the graphics are not bad but the story is boring as hell. This game is not good and not bad, its not special.
  4. May 6, 2014
    The biggest gaming let-down of this century. Fans waited seven years.. for this? I have lost faith in Gearbox as a company with the way they handled this release. There is no excuse for the patchwork story, buggy menus, and lack of dedicated multiplayer servers. Everything in this game feels low rent, as if it was an after-thought and that the game needed to be pushed out fromThe biggest gaming let-down of this century. Fans waited seven years.. for this? I have lost faith in Gearbox as a company with the way they handled this release. There is no excuse for the patchwork story, buggy menus, and lack of dedicated multiplayer servers. Everything in this game feels low rent, as if it was an after-thought and that the game needed to be pushed out from development hell. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  5. Jul 3, 2014
    i love the alien franchise, i always have, even since i was far too young to watch the movies. but this...........
    to be honest i wish i had never tarnished my memories with this game. to start it was virtually unplayable, in fact it just was unplayable. then i did a few recommended tweaks and it went up to the level of highly irritating.
    the brief time i have spent trying to persevere
    the brief time i have spent trying to persevere was seriously disappointing. either it would lag so bad that you die in seconds or the alien just stands there waiting for a bullet.
    then just to top it off, when you just want to close it and forget it ever happened it bugs out and constantly restarts itself until you have to turn off the computer. there is apparently a fix for this but i dont want to know. i paid £6.99 for it and its uninstalled never to be messed with again.
    maybe if it was a couple of tweaks and it was fine i could have enjoyed it. however i spent 6 hours trying to make this game playable. one of those was just trying to get the thing to shut down and stay shut down!
    frankly, i expected more in this day and age. considering AVP2 before this i was expecting something halfway decent, this is not it though. the standard of games these days is pretty good, and to fight for a corner of the market is tough. i think this was just a way to exploit alien fans and their curiosity.
    there is just nothing i can recommend about it. i regret buying it, i regret installing it, i regret trying to make it work and i regret not stopping to find out about it before i paid for it.
    save your money, buy a couple of beers and watch the movies. it would be a much better use of your time and money.
  6. Nov 2, 2014
    Biggest let down of this decade, Alien Colonial Marines was promised to be a gritty shooter with survival horror elements but all it amounts to is another Call of Duty clone with awful AI. The Alien AI awful and is completely different to the game play shown before launch, with aliens spazing across the walls and charging toward the player and missing by miles. The story is lack luster andBiggest let down of this decade, Alien Colonial Marines was promised to be a gritty shooter with survival horror elements but all it amounts to is another Call of Duty clone with awful AI. The Alien AI awful and is completely different to the game play shown before launch, with aliens spazing across the walls and charging toward the player and missing by miles. The story is lack luster and was not used to the best effect. The gun play is fun but you end up fighting generic Waylon Yuntani merc's with no character. In the end the game amounts to lack luster game play, plot and AI. Warning do not pick this game up! Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2015
    Decent. But not great. I can see why people are really upset with this game. It seems like a real waste of money for people who pre ordered it and got it day one. However, I don't think this is a bad game. It's a rushed and buggy game, but no I don't believe it's "bad". It's kinda like a fun little arcade shooter you can laugh at with your buddy's on a Saturday night after downing a coupleDecent. But not great. I can see why people are really upset with this game. It seems like a real waste of money for people who pre ordered it and got it day one. However, I don't think this is a bad game. It's a rushed and buggy game, but no I don't believe it's "bad". It's kinda like a fun little arcade shooter you can laugh at with your buddy's on a Saturday night after downing a couple of beers. I'll be honest I had a hell of a lot of fun playing this split screen with a couple of my friends one weekend. Gunplay is meh. Can be a little off at times. But one thing that stands out as horrendously bad is the power loader fight sequence and the constant screen tearing is absolutely god awful on the console version. I feel bad for people who got this for 60$ but I got it for 15$ and I think my money was well spent. If your a hard core aliens fan or just someone who wants to screw around with a cheap shooter that has fun multiplayer modes, get this. However I must say the dialogue and character models look and sound like poo poo. But damn the soundtrack is awesome. Not bad def recommend it. Expand
  8. May 8, 2016
    After all the years of waiting we finally get an Aliens game that looks potentially awesome. The games storyline is even supposed to pick up where the Aliens movie left off, which is a really nice area to fill in some details. After Ripley leaves the planet in Aliens we never really get to see what happens so it will be really cool to finally find out, right? If the game had not been soAfter all the years of waiting we finally get an Aliens game that looks potentially awesome. The games storyline is even supposed to pick up where the Aliens movie left off, which is a really nice area to fill in some details. After Ripley leaves the planet in Aliens we never really get to see what happens so it will be really cool to finally find out, right? If the game had not been so half-assed then I would say yes, however it was definitely a half-assed attempt at an Aliens game.
    Well I guess we will just dive into the gameplay and figure out what we enjoyed out of it. After playing through the game I have to say I did actually enjoy the environments quite a bit. From the opening scenes to the end of the game they definitely hit the overall atmosphere and feel of LV-426 perfectly. I actually really enjoyed being able to “set foot” on the planet and explore a piece of iconic history with a character. Now if everything else had been as good then it would have been a perfect experience. When looking at things like the AI you can really tell it was rushed though and never got the time it deserved. While playing through the story-line the AI companions just seemed like puppets on a stick reacting to things around them. There were countless times during firefights when my companions would be downed because they would attack aliens far away from them instead of the ones wailing on them point blank. In small fights this isn’t so much of an issue because the player can contend with them, but in larger battles it was a serious pain in the ass. The Alien AI was also absolutely terrible from what I witnessed. Even after all the patching that was done by Gearbox after release the Aliens still just traveled from point A to point B, then attacked. There wasn’t really any variation to the attacks, no tactics, nothing surprising. It really depressed me because the movies showed us such a cunning enemy, and the game delivers an obvious robot following a preset path. It wouldn’t be so bad if this was 1995 but we have seen better AI in games in the last 10 years.
    Now with the gameplay pretty botched you would think they used this time on the story-line to give us a great experience. Oh man how I wish that was the case. In all the time playing the game I just felt the story was scattered, if not almost completely absent. We know that we are another team responding to the issues plaguing the first team, but they don’t really give you a purpose beyond that. You don’t care about the characters you’re with or really get a lot of info on why you are doing what you are, other than the simple go here and do this command. The lack of attachment to the characters really irritated me because that is a basic element in any storytelling. When you are attached to those around you it makes protecting them much more important, and in the event that something happens to them it has a profound effect on the player. Yet all that was completely absent here.
    Since there is not a lot more you can say about the story of the game we will go ahead and move on to the graphics. The visuals in the game are also part of a fairly heated debate since the demo footage seemed to be better looking than the actual released version. Now since release Gearbox did add a massive 4 plus gigabyte patch that made the visuals in the game better but it’s still hard for gamers not to feel cheated in the beginning. The bad thing is that even after the massive patch Aliens: CM still looks rather dated for a game that has released in the last 5 years. Now I am usually not one to rag on graphics but when you don’t have a storyline to make up for it then it’s difficult not to be hard on a game. Something else that really bothered me is the amount of frame lag I got while playing the game on PC. I could understand having this if I was playing the game on a low end PC but that’s just not the case. I am not sure if this happened on consoles as well but I would be interested to see if it did. It’s just disappointing to see a game with this much potential being kicked to the curb in the graphics department.
    I can say that the one place I did see real quality was in the sound effects. I know that they were most likely ripped directly from the movie, but all the sounds had a great presence in the game. It’s always nice to be hit with nostalgia when playing a game based of something so beloved. With the sound effects being as good as they were you would not expect the dialog to be as jacked up as it was. There were a few times that the character’s mouths and dialog didn’t match. It seriously took me back to the days of old school Godzilla movies.
    All in all, this game is worth playing as a rental or in the discount rack but as for buying it at full price, just don’t. Gearbox was given the keys to a Lamborghini with this IP and they somehow modified it into a rusted down Pinto. The concept and potential was so great, and yet in the end the finished product just didn't deliver.
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    Ok for a start this game has terrible AI and its very much noticed on Mission 2 the most(1 mission out of 11). The games Graphics are Fine..Omg the amount of people moaning about the damn graphics its sending me crazy.(GFX are about the same as COD on the PC).

I have have played upto Mission 6 and i'm super enjoying it for sure i can not see what the problem is. The multiplayer is truly fun (team Death-match and survivor). Marines play completely fine to me but the Aliens are very clunky BUT after a few hours you do start to get a hang of it (upgrades help alot with speed and power)

What im tryin to say is i cant see what the problem is with this game apart from Bad AI and OK graphics and a 7hour Single player. The reviews have been well to harsh i say. My score 6.8/10
  10. Feb 16, 2013
    This is the most disappointing game I've played in a very long time. From big to small it fails on almost every level. The immersion promised in the pre-release video was stripped leaving behind the husk of a generic shooter. The dialog is awful with its forced, rehashed lines from Aliens. The corny try-hard attempt to recreate the attitude of the characters from the movie. A boring (DLCThis is the most disappointing game I've played in a very long time. From big to small it fails on almost every level. The immersion promised in the pre-release video was stripped leaving behind the husk of a generic shooter. The dialog is awful with its forced, rehashed lines from Aliens. The corny try-hard attempt to recreate the attitude of the characters from the movie. A boring (DLC READY! :D) story with a... well... I would've called it a cliffhanger ending but truth be told I simply don't care. The game play offers virtually nothing to offset any of the above. It's functional, usually, but that's where the praise ends. The alien AI feels like it was written by some poor intern that doesn't even like FPS games. It's pretty standard copy/paste game play beyond that. With the gratuitous weapon unlocks and totally linear map design.

The worst offenders by far are the lifeless boring levels. The fact they took the source material of aliens and turned it into this is upsetting, if not flat out depressing. The animations are laughable (power loader anyone?) and the textures would make Ray Charles weep. The lighting? Mods to "help fix" the lightning were out in less than 24 hours. At least Duke Nukem Forever won't be lonely at the bottom of the barrel.
  11. Mar 30, 2013
    came on you just have to love this game its great..... I think I have been lucky so far, as I have had no problems at all, keep up the good work and I cant wait for number 2
  12. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is absolutely terrible. It's a generic stereotype space marines action shooter. The single player is mindless and boring, the AI is terrible, the sound effects are also terrible. The game is not scary and the voice actors just sound depressed. The online mode is not fun, you'll get bored in minutes because there is no depth to the gameplay.
    One of the redeeming factors of the
    One of the redeeming factors of the game however is that it has decent music, but that's it. If you're having trouble sleeping, I definitely recommend this game because there is no way you'll still be awake after 30 minutes. Gearbox over-hyped this game and just ended up deceiving Aliens fans. I highly recommend you look at game footage before you commit to buy this game.
  13. rps
    Feb 20, 2013
    After playing the game 40 hours, and having played video games for many years, I have to conclude the professional reviewers were either being paid to trash this game by another publisher, expectations too high, or just burned out from their job of playing games all the time. From this day forward I will take anything they say with a grain of salt. I would have missed a really fun andAfter playing the game 40 hours, and having played video games for many years, I have to conclude the professional reviewers were either being paid to trash this game by another publisher, expectations too high, or just burned out from their job of playing games all the time. From this day forward I will take anything they say with a grain of salt. I would have missed a really fun and very "Aliens" experience if I listened to them. As for the people who give it zero's etc., the days of pirating new titles is over, get used to it. If your a fan of Aliens, don't miss this game. Expand
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    Immense yourself in the world of Marines vs Aliens. Living in the Alien film genre this is most likely the only thing going for the game. A typical linear first person shooter with not much to offer other than a survival story line. The game features poor AI on both allies and enemies alike, weapons feel mediocre and not much use changing from the pulse rifle. Graphic detail of the game isImmense yourself in the world of Marines vs Aliens. Living in the Alien film genre this is most likely the only thing going for the game. A typical linear first person shooter with not much to offer other than a survival story line. The game features poor AI on both allies and enemies alike, weapons feel mediocre and not much use changing from the pulse rifle. Graphic detail of the game is pretty sub-par for its retail price. Easily finished from start to end in one sit through. For fans of the Alien films, its worth the play-through just to learn more of the lore and see some familiar faces but not for the retail price, wait for this title to hit the bargain bin which i can imagine it will soon be heading to. Expand
  15. Feb 19, 2013
    Though Aliens: Colonial Marines is getting a huge amount of bad reviews, it’s not an extremely bad game. Some of you may be thinking the whole point of the game was to kill a bunch of Xenomorphs and defeat the Queen, but it’s a little more than that. It may be lacking graphically, which sadly a lot of games are nowadays, and the story may be short, but it has some great points ofThough Aliens: Colonial Marines is getting a huge amount of bad reviews, it’s not an extremely bad game. Some of you may be thinking the whole point of the game was to kill a bunch of Xenomorphs and defeat the Queen, but it’s a little more than that. It may be lacking graphically, which sadly a lot of games are nowadays, and the story may be short, but it has some great points of nostalgia.

Yes, you have the Xenomorphs and the queen and every other iconic creature from the Alien movies, such as Facehuggers, but Xenomorphs aren’t the only threat in this game. There is also the Weyland Utani, and actually, the Weyland Utani play a huge role in the game, as well as adding some variety to the gameplay so that you’re not just fighting through hordes of Xenos. Easter Eggs, like Hicks’ shotgun, are sprinkled throughout the campaign and add a great deal of nostalgia, which I found to be quite entertaining. Sadly though, the story seems to end abruptly and seems unfinished, and considering the game was delayed that’s horrifyingly surprising.

The gameplay is fast paced, with occasional tasks taking a little longer than most, e.g. the dreaded “fetch quests”. AI are horribly programmed, with teammates blowing up explosive barrels every once in a while and setting you back to the last checkpoint, and checkpoints aren’t very abundant. Oh, and enemy AI can shoot through walls, which is super fun! (If you couldn’t tell, that was sarcasm.) Also, I played the game on Normal difficulty and the enemies proved to be semi-difficult at times, so I’d imagine they’re pretty hard on the highest difficulty. The multiplayer is also pretty fun, especially playing as the Xenos, they have some pretty cool abilities. You can also level up and customize your weapons and loadouts in multiplayer which allows for some variety. The multiplayer includes 4 modes: TDM, Extermination, Escape and Survivor which can be played on 9 maps.

“They’re coming outta the goddamn walls.” Hudson

The games models, textures and animations are way behind the times. The cinematics are about 5 years behind and don’t seem to sync up very well, nor do they transition smoothly. While the rest of the game pretty much looks like it should have come out in 2008, oh wait, that’s when they announced the delay the first time… Although, I’d say the lighting is quite nice, and with the brightness turned down it’s a little startling when you’re pounced on by an unexpected Xeno.

Ahh, the sound effects, they’re awesome. The sound of the pulse rifle has got to be one of my favorite sound effects in any game and the Xeno hiss is up there with the Predator click as one of the scariest sounds of all time. The rest of the sounds though weren’t very memorable, there’s nothing really special about them. The dialog was a bit weak especially outside of the cutscenes. But I did find the stories that Audio Logs tell to be interesting, especially the one about Newt’s family.

“They mostly come at night… mostly.” Newt

This game has little to no replay value when it comes to campaign, but multiplayer can be played for a while. With tons of leveling and customizing to do, the multiplayer rivals that of current games, especially the garbage that is MW3.

So, with a seemingly unfinished story, not so cutting-edge graphics by any means, and a laughably easy last mission it doesn’t have much of a chance. But, for a fan of the Alien franchise, this is one of the more authentic games out there. The multiplayer redeems the game itself by offering a Left 4 Dead-like experience, with Marines vs. Xenomorphs. And, the nostalgia was enough to make me buy the game. Overall, it was a fun game, but nothing amazing.

Game over, man!
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    The game is crap.
    - Kicking in steel doors, diving through the of a marine dropship that an Alien Queen cant even get through
    - Aliens that either rush right at you or stand motionless - Aliens that rush up to you, strike once, then idle - Weyland Yutani mercenaries by the boatload. Seriously, forget the Aliens. This game is about killing people. - Acid Blood doesn't hurt - Unless
    The game is crap.
    - Aliens that either rush right at you or stand motionless
    - Aliens that rush up to you, strike once, then idle
    - Acid Blood doesn't hurt
    - Unless it's specifically chosen as a weapon, in which case it mystically hurts
    - Remember the first sign Alien 4: Resurrection would suck? The alien in a glass cage that lets you see every orifice? This game does it too! WITH EVERY VARIANT, including the ones not yet seen.
    - Xeno variants that couldn't have possibly been bred. What? Why are they spitting acid? How did a facehugger impregnate a rhinoceros?!
    - Graphics suck, unlike the graphics they sold preorders on.
    - Duke Nukem Forever made an Aliens game worse. I mean are you for ****ing real?
    - Fire extinguishers react to your fire. By disappearing.
    - a chestburster farm in a lab... with 0 containment for the chestbursters. What do you do with xeno infested humans? Mercy kill. Nope, not these ones. They're made of iron.
    - Every single ongoing Weyland experiment fails catastrophically as soon as you look at it.
    - Oh a captive queen. How quaint. Oh look, she suddenly figured out how to break free. She's smashing the glass to get at me! Uh oh, she broke through the glass! Phew, she gave up.
    - Aliens for the most part cannot transition surfaces while climbing. No clue why. If you want to get onto the ceiling, you need an app for that. Oh sorry, I meant a 'perk'.
    - controls randomly invert when climbing as an alien. Yes, ALL of them. Because wall movement wasn't hard enough.
    - Xeno pounces have a wonderful 5% chance of failing, leaving your lurker pinning down a marine until either the match ends or another player comes along and either kills you or steals your kill.
    - Claymore mines can be dropped instantly, and while in the midst of another animation. Lurker just pinned you and about to chew off your face? No problem. RETROACTIVE CLAYMORE!
    - You can also sit on your claymores, because strangely they just don't hurt humies.
    - Challenge order. Bizarre. Three challenge types, one of each on offer at any given time. Usually the hardest ones straight at the beginning.
    - There's a mission where PMC's and Weyland techs run from your team despite superior numbers. They escape through doors in the side of the ship. Looking out a window you notice they are doors directly to space.
    - Super weapon backpack. You have access to something like 16 weapons and 4 tacticals and thousands of rounds plus secondary rounds on you at all times. D&D did it first!
    - There are 9 multiplayer maps split between 4 game modes. On many of the maps, you could smell an opponents fart on the opposite end.
    - Mapping orbs! "Look, we can Prometheus, too!" exclaims Randy Prichford with a piggish squeal. "ugh" exclaims you, whose quite sick of the half-assed 'nods' without any obvious love for the material.
    - PRE RENDERED cut scenes! WOW! Why did developers stop doing this? I mean, the gamer was never immersed in the first place so you don't have to worry about that jarring transition, the 12 frames per second of the video is TOTALLY unnoticeable if you pack in enough ACTION!!!, and frankly, We miss running a server-farm for weeks to render this junk.

Ok. I'm out of obvious things. You guys take it from here.
  17. Jun 20, 2013
    This is a painfully average game, the Aliens franchise deserved a whole lot better than this half-assed thing. The graphics are functional, nothing otherworldly, but bear in mind that this is more accurate after the 4GB patch, but an important gotcha, they look nothing, and I mean NOTHING like what they show on the demo footage, it's a ripoff and a trick to get you to buy something thatThis is a painfully average game, the Aliens franchise deserved a whole lot better than this half-assed thing. The graphics are functional, nothing otherworldly, but bear in mind that this is more accurate after the 4GB patch, but an important gotcha, they look nothing, and I mean NOTHING like what they show on the demo footage, it's a ripoff and a trick to get you to buy something that it's not what you're seeing. The storyline is frankly the stupidest and most damaging thing I've seen inflicted on this series, there is a plot hole so freaking huge that the mystery character that appears just says "too long to explain", that's it, that's the explaination for shamelessly raping the movie Aliens.
    There is a pointless cameo of Hadley's Hope, just fan service, which granted, could have been nice, but is so underwhelming that I wish I hadn't played that part, I love the move Aliens so much that playing through that and getting so disappointed was damaging to the soul of a hardcore fan such as me; it's surprising how little damage a thermonuclear explosion caused on the main colony complex.
    The characters are forgettable, honestly I remember more, and had way more fun with the main characters from Aliens vs Predator 2 (great game, btw).
    The action is fast paced, but the enemy AI is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while, these are the most charming, most tame Aliens I've ever seen, they really do their best not to hurt you, adorable! You see hints of good ideas, like sometimes you see them hiding in the shadows, and they fail at leaping at you, or attempting to attack after you shoot them, painfully easy.
    The multiplayer is horrible and boring, I haven't seen an Aliens game with xenomorphs so stiff to move! The marines are far more suited for combat than the aliens.
    Avoid this game if you're an Aliens fan (though if you're one, you'll probably make the same mistake I did and not heed to advice
  18. Feb 12, 2013
    I played for five minutes which would normally not count as enough, though this might be the exception. i would have given this a 6-isch if it was 2006 now, but its 2013 and its been in developement since 2006, when i first saw this game i thought finally someone would make a kickass game, but it runs like and my comp is great. i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy this, MP might be fun butI played for five minutes which would normally not count as enough, though this might be the exception. i would have given this a 6-isch if it was 2006 now, but its 2013 and its been in developement since 2006, when i first saw this game i thought finally someone would make a kickass game, but it runs like and my comp is great. i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy this, MP might be fun but its so worthlessly done it doesnt deserve your time and money! Expand
  19. Feb 25, 2013
    Worst game ever! Bad graphics, very very stupid AI, bugs, glitches... a disaster! I would not recommend buying it! It's a shame they even published it.
  20. Feb 17, 2013
    "No. No. No. No. Gearbox, what are you doing?" Sums this game up nicely.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines (read Aliens: Colonial Morons) is the perfect example of why I don't /ever/ pre-order games. The Good:
    "No. No. No. No. Gearbox, what are you doing?" Sums this game up nicely.
    + I've been told... Badgered by others insisting that the multilayer is passable, It's playable and competitive. So despite my personal feelings that the Multilayer portion of a game that has a singleplayer campaign should ever be a centre-point of a review, I'll let this one slide.
    The Bad:
    - Dreadful attempt at atmosphere. I can tell this game tries so hard to be something it isn't... As an Aliens game, expectation dictates that the atmosphere has to be on par with an expertly directed horror film. With an enemy that surpasses our little human character in almost every attribute- I want to feel hunted and isolated in an almost hopeless situation, fighting for my very survival. Any attempt at the before-mentioned feeling is destroyed the moment one of your companions opens their mouth... and then further trashed when you move through the campaign mowing down hundreds of the Aliens as if they were made from toilet tissue. The AI, frankly, sucks. My Graduate games programming project had better Artificial intelligence than this. You constantly see the human characters getting stuck, taking insane path finding routes. This may just be me however as I have developed an eye for such things.
    - The visuals I am not one to criticise a game based on it's graphical quality. However, I expect a AAA, multi-million Dollar budgeted game to provide a certain degree of graphical quality especially if the marketing material boasts scenes that show off lighting and rendering techniques used by the latest DX11 technologies. But this is a small point... ugly textures and ugly lighting doesn't kill a game but it does not help it ether.
    - The Feel of the gameplay is off. I can't accurately articulate it because it's not really something tangible, but when I play a shooter, I expect the game to provide feedback in a certain way, Aliens: CM, does not provide this feeling.
    To summarize I am disappointed that 7 years of development couldn't produce something better. But, I have a feeling that this suffered from the same problems as Duke Nukem: Forever in that it has been outsourced to so many companies and been messed about with so much over the past 7 years The end result maintains no real identity It's a game that consists of poorly mashed together bits from all kinds of different places and it is a real shame... A perfect example of brilliant marketing on Sega's part to sell a bad game so well though.
  21. Apr 3, 2013
    Biggest pile of crap I've seen in a long time, if i could rate it lower than zero I would. Rubbish campaign, laughable AI, the population online is around 200 people worldwide according to some reports I've seen. Don't bother wasting your money on this. screw Gearbox.
  22. Feb 13, 2013
    I do not know about you, but I liked the game, no need to evaluate the game on the schedule, or when she had to get out there, the plot is different, but of course a sort of a multiplayer, but it's not a problem, the cooperative is great, enjoyed it. Thank you very much for developers
  23. Feb 13, 2013
    After playing A:CM for about 4 hours. I can honestly say that I enjoyed it. I like the game. Its rather fun. Not the best Aliens game, but they have all had flaws. The Graphics are not the best and the AI for both aliens and friendly npc is wonky most of the time. But I enjoyed the atmosphere created by the lighting, sounds. and the levels. I'm playing on "Ultimate Bad-Ass" difficulty so IAfter playing A:CM for about 4 hours. I can honestly say that I enjoyed it. I like the game. Its rather fun. Not the best Aliens game, but they have all had flaws. The Graphics are not the best and the AI for both aliens and friendly npc is wonky most of the time. But I enjoyed the atmosphere created by the lighting, sounds. and the levels. I'm playing on "Ultimate Bad-Ass" difficulty so I have no HUD at all. I jumped into some 4 player coop and had a really good time. Lots of aliens from all directions, one player on the motion tracker calling out locations and distances. Felt like Hudson in the movie. "We got movement, Can't lock in..." Granted its not the game I think we were all hoping for. Nor does it live up to the hype or what Gearbox promised. But it was fun. Not worth $60, more of a $30 budget title I think. Play it in co-op with a bunch of serious adult gamers and you will have fun. Role-play it up and it will be a blast, especially in "Bad-Ass" mode. You will have to use team work and share the ammo and health. Adds more tension to the game. Expand
  24. Feb 13, 2013
    The trouble I find with a game like this is everyone has such high expectations and only seems to like to pick out the bad bits, completely forgetting the rest.
    It's an Aliens game, its going to be limited in what it can do without destroying it's own universe (you may think all the AVP films and games did that, but lets forget those never happened), throw in that any high budget game is nearly always made for the console then ported to the PC and you have another issue, technology limitations. So why expect something that it never will be?

Starting with the good:
    - You got to be a fan of the film, not the franchise, just the film. I mean the sort of fan that will watch it a few times a year and can recite most of the quotes. If you're not then you'll probably just think of it as a generic shooter. Which I am!
    - Sounds and music are great, it really does sound like a pulse rifle and motion tracker, and lets face it you'll pretty much just be using those the whole game.
    - Some nice touches re-creating the Aliens scenery, finding the med bay, the room where Burke let a facehugger loose on Ripley and Newt, and even the trike you see at the beginning of the directors cut.
    - First time around it's great to shoot up a load of Aliens, hordes of them and even the single hunters that hide and wait for you. Can get old fast with the AI Marines with you though.
    - Fun coop on Ultimate Badass mode, provided you haven't played the single player yet. "You go first", "No YOU go first"

The no so impressive side:
    - Buggy AI, seems to get stuck sometimes and teleport in front of you. Not sure what that's about but there has been worse around. Give it a rest.
    - Can't use the motion tracker to find enemies in the next room until you open the door and get attacked. Maybe they're just not moving, it is a 'motion' tracker and not a 'stationary' tracker after all.
    - Fight too many humans, a little was fine but bleh, it's called Aliens so should have lots of them!
    - Checkpoints seem to make things behind you disappear, leaving no reason to watch your six.

Non-Issues, things people whine about because they can:
    - Graphics look a bit flat, but it doesn't struggle. The Sulaco and Hadleys Hope wasnt exactly build with textured wallpaper.
    - Story and Voice acting. It's not the best but it's about as annoying as being forced to cut your toenails once in a while. It's minimal and you just deal with it.
    - Marines get a boost in multiplayer just by playing the campaign making being an alien rather difficult to begin with.

That's all, now please stop whining.
  25. Feb 13, 2013
    OK. so I've played the first 3 or 4 missions of Aliens: Colonial Marines and I love it!!! The enemy A.I. can sometimes be a bit thick and I've seen some small glitches that maybe a brand new game should not have. The Aliens in multiplayer are extremely hard to use and will need a lot of practice before I can get more than 2 kills. The marines are awesome and have access to fullOK. so I've played the first 3 or 4 missions of Aliens: Colonial Marines and I love it!!! The enemy A.I. can sometimes be a bit thick and I've seen some small glitches that maybe a brand new game should not have. The Aliens in multiplayer are extremely hard to use and will need a lot of practice before I can get more than 2 kills. The marines are awesome and have access to full customization. The weapons sound like they are straight from the movie and you can play as Hudson, Hicks, Apone and Drake, who all have the original voice talent from the movie. I think it's awesome and anyone who loves the Alien franchise would be able to overlook the odd glitch and the odd dodgy choice of cover by the A.I.. I think it was well worth the money. I am a big fan of Aliens and to be able to explore locations from the movie is awesome. Don't listen to these negative reviews, It's brilliant. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2013
    So this is my first time ever writing a review for something.....ever. I've been a gamer ever since the NES came out. (sheesh..I feel lold). I am also a big movie buff and remember seeing Alien and Aliens when I was younger and it scared me to death! It also was one of the best forms of story telling I have ever seen in horror movies. So, for me as a gamer mixing the too is HUGE! I'veSo this is my first time ever writing a review for something.....ever. I've been a gamer ever since the NES came out. (sheesh..I feel lold). I am also a big movie buff and remember seeing Alien and Aliens when I was younger and it scared me to death! It also was one of the best forms of story telling I have ever seen in horror movies. So, for me as a gamer mixing the too is HUGE! I've played all the major titles like Gears of War, God of War, Mario Bros, etc, etc. So in this review I want to talk to the people I feel this will appeal to. Is the game worth $60....no....it is not...I payed that and it is not. Also a heads up to those of you getting the Collector's Edition...the "statute" is smaller than the game case...so I downgraded...I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Marcus statue I own from Gears of War 3. I did not get the game that was advertised....doesn't match the screen shots...or hype that we were promised....but....we did get pieces of that promised expierence...and that has been enough for me. The graphics are 1st gen 360 (Turok) and there is a lot of screen tearing in single player...but....the sound is amazing....and took me right back to the days of hiding behind the couch in fear of seeing what the aliens were going to do to people. But...back to the game....I've enjoyed this game....ENJOYED!...not like Call of Duty...Battlefield.....Gears of War......but as an Aliens game.....Yes...you do play through the same levels as the movie....and people complain....Are you telling me that you are a fan and have no interest of seeing those same scenes in PLAYABLE FORM!!! Come on! When I was a kid I dreamed of going down those corriders and shooting those aliens with every gun, gernade, and friend I have ever seen in Aliens, and here...you finally get to do it!!! This is a game for Aliens fans looking for more aliens.....not Aliens fans looking for Halo 4, Call of Duty, and Battlefield, but fans who loved the material. Yes the graphics bothered me at first....esp. when I saw there was screen tearing in the start menu...bluh...but I have become engrossed in this franchise and if you want a really "creepy, scary" version of the game the play AVP from 2010...I thought it was more edgy...but if you wanna scream "let's rock" and shootem up with a friend...DO IT!!!! I thought the story was good...not great...but not bad....but it functions! and I think pretty well. The sound....the sound is Great!!!....From the pulse rifle...to the motion tracker...its great! And for the people complaining about having so many weapons....apprently you didn't see the movies...they were LOADED!!! They had all these toys! Yea...you can't carry that many in real life...but at least you can say...oh yea....this is a smart gun moment!...too bad I can only do that on level 2....nope...now you can do it whenever....Now for multiplayer...I hated it....at first....its starting to grow on me.....and yes...the camera and controls suck for the aliens....but once you invest some time into them....it got better....and the marines were always fun to play as....but everyone will find their mode in it.....so....overall this is what I have to say rating this game....

Graphics- 6
    Sound- 10
    Gameplay- 7
    Replay- 7

One review on here summed it up.....some people are gonna love it....some people are gonna hate it! But only review if you've played it.....I'm pretty sure a lot of the negative reviews are from those who haven't even played the game...but if you have and felt this way....then it wasn't meant for you....its generic....and outdated....but it still captures something for me that I found in the films. Curiosity and the fun that comes from the Alien universe....I play games because they are fun....its how they are supposed to be! And just for the record....these reviews you "fans" put out that people read....are the reason the game industry is failing...when investors see these numbers and comments....they make big decisions based on these....I don't want any developers to go under....cause its less product for us!! They don't play the games....and when they see this....adios developers...publishers...etc....so take that into account before you go trashing a game...especially if its one you haven't played or don't like cause its the "other guy"......if anyone reads this...thanks for your time....hope you have a great one!
  27. Feb 13, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game and can imagine myself playing it for a few months to come.
    Take this game on its own merit and ignore a few flaws and you're bound to get dragged into the atmosphere of the game.
    But truthfully was any title going to live up to the mighty aliens movie? this could have been the best game ever released but a combination of a long waiting time and being part of one of the most successful movie franchises ever, this game was never going to start any fires no matter who developed it.
  28. Feb 14, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game but unfortunately I can't. Graphics and animation feel dated I swear i have games from 2007 that outshine this. Gameplay is just dull... a below average shooter at best!
    I've played co-op mode with a friend and this was just plain bad. First off the clumsy menu system where you have to select "friends only" to start a game isn't immediately obvious, neither is selecting your loadout.
    We got to the stage where you take 3 steps then have to let your character stand still for 2 minutes, then another 3 steps before standing still again while the Aliens sniff you (move the mouse to look and you're dead) and it was at this stage we realised that we were punishing ourselves for buying the game.
    Money down the drain.
    I did break my cardinal rule of never buying a game based on a movie/tv show... they're always terrible and this one is probably near the top of that tree.
  29. Feb 14, 2013
    Despite all the hate surrounding this game, i believe most of it has been stirred up simply because people had 'extremely' high expectations. The graphics arn't that bad, there easily better than CoD (which gets 9/10 paid reviews). The single player AI however are quite bad although this can be fixed in a simple patch, but the multiplayer is where it shines. Once you've spent about 4hrs+Despite all the hate surrounding this game, i believe most of it has been stirred up simply because people had 'extremely' high expectations. The graphics arn't that bad, there easily better than CoD (which gets 9/10 paid reviews). The single player AI however are quite bad although this can be fixed in a simple patch, but the multiplayer is where it shines. Once you've spent about 4hrs+ and unlocked some cool gear, the alien class is very to to play especially with friends! Don't listen to half the reviews, buy the game if you want something different and arn't phased about some 1st day release problems. Expand
  30. Feb 14, 2013
    I realize a lot of people are pissed about the long development and the over-hyping from the publishers, but as a serious fan of the films, I found A:CM enjoyable and worthwhile. I pre-paid my $50 and I don't feel like I've been ripped off, especially since I started diving into the multiplayer modes, which I already know I'm going to spend WAY too much time with. Some specifics:I realize a lot of people are pissed about the long development and the over-hyping from the publishers, but as a serious fan of the films, I found A:CM enjoyable and worthwhile. I pre-paid my $50 and I don't feel like I've been ripped off, especially since I started diving into the multiplayer modes, which I already know I'm going to spend WAY too much time with. Some specifics:

PROS: It's fun! I enjoyed the hell out of the SP campaign, warts and all. Yeah, it's a bit short, but the challenges, some of which are really difficult, and the hidden items (dog tags, legendary weapons, audio logs) give it replay value. I'll probably give it another go on the hardest difficulty. A few of the sections are truly difficult, and I like that there's no quicksave/quickload option it makes the sequences a lot more suspenseful than other shooters where you can save every 5 seconds. Several of the sequences were downright nerve-wracking, such as the alien zombies that respond to sound, and the final battle with the Queen. I've only spent a few hours with the MP modes but I can already tell I'm going to become obsessed with leveling up my profiles. Playing as the xenomorphs is unexpectedly fun and rewarding once you get the hang of it. CONS: SP campaign story is pretty freaking silly. I've seen these movies hundreds of times (literally) and the attempt to connect ALIENS and ALIEN 3 while keeping Hicks alive is beyond ludicrous (his "explanation" of who was in his ejected cryotube on the EEV is a howler for the ages). Having Hicks in this story is totally unnecessary fan service. I love that you run across Hudson's corpse at one point, and I even like the legendary weapons and the dog tags that are spread everywhere (even though they're found in locations that the movie characters could have never been in). They work in references to all the movies even PROMETHEUS, which doesn't make a shred of sense, obviously, but I appreciated the effort. Overall, though, it's the setting you play for and on my PC with everything maxed out the locations looked great. Some tearing here and there, but the aliens are very detailed. The AI is not great, but not the worst I've ever seen either. I DEFINITELY wouldn't describe it as "broken" as so many others had. The cut-scenes are not very good, however. The dialogue/acting is fine (well, okay, the dialogue is often pretty awful) but the facial detail/animation is really bad and looks unfinished. And the scenes appear to be rendered in 720p, or maybe even lower.

In closing, maybe this should have had more polish it before it shipped, but it is nowhere close the trainwreck everyone is complaining about. Taken out of context of the ridiculous hype, it's a solid, fun shooter that any fan of the films is likely to enjoy for many, many hours.

1. PC Master (Greece)