Aliens: Colonial Marines PC

3.5

1. Feb 12, 2013
    Ok for a start this game has terrible AI and its very much noticed on Mission 2 the most(1 mission out of 11). The games Graphics are Fine..Omg the amount of people moaning about the damn graphics its sending me crazy.(GFX are about the same as COD on the PC).

I have have played upto Mission 6 and i'm super enjoying it for sure i can not see what the problem is. The multiplayer is truly fun (team Death-match and survivor). Marines play completely fine to me but the Aliens are very clunky BUT after a few hours you do start to get a hang of it (upgrades help alot with speed and power)

What im tryin to say is i cant see what the problem is with this game apart from Bad AI and OK graphics and a 7hour Single player. The reviews have been well to harsh i say. My score 6.8/10
  2. May 19, 2014
    Average as anything but nowhere near as bad as its cracked up to be. I was expecting a broken mess. While it's far from great it's not that. It pales in comparison to Aliens, but that it a nigh perfect film. It is a perfectly competent shooter though. Linear, boggo graphics and some fairly crappy voice acting. It's a bit like Call of Duty in space then.
  3. Nov 11, 2013
    There is a lot of hype against this game and I totally understand it people were promised a lot for their money and it was not delivered. But is A:CM really that bad?

I play games since c64, my favorite genre is FPS. I think I played like 80% of FPS games out there. I am also big fan of Aliens and generally sci-fi stuff. I played the latest, patched version. I have to agree that

I have to agree that game graphics is not as good as other latest AAA games. But I cannot say visuals are bad. A little bit outdated yes. Bad? Not at all. I would say graphic is good enough to have this special atmosphere of Aliens move together with sound it made me jump few times. I dont agree that pre scripted aliens are not scary and behave weird they do what they are supposed to do: they crawl the ceilings and walls and they quickly advance at the player (often by jumping) this is what xenomorphs do.
    On hardened difficulty setting you can get killed easily it is not that easy to kill xeno on the wall.

NPC AI is ok, not as good as in CoD or BF but acceptable they shoot things and can draw enemy attention to themselves. but I wouldnt count on them to do your job in the heat of the battle. another thing is that xenos will attack YOU if your soldiers are already attacked by their comrades. In game you will meet enemy human soldiers as well. They are not too hard to kill and act OK. Nothing special but not bad at all.

I wouldnt spend £30 to buy this game, but I got it on Steam offer for £3. At this price it is really good game and all you Aliens fans will love it
  4. Feb 13, 2013
    Yes, this game is arguably underwhelming from the expectations that everybody had set for it but then, what did you expect? The game has spent 7 years in development accumulating hype from a fan-base in what I call the Duke Nukem Effect. The game spent a good portion of it's development indefinitely postponed, and when it came to fixing it up, there really hadn't been 7 years ofYes, this game is arguably underwhelming from the expectations that everybody had set for it but then, what did you expect? The game has spent 7 years in development accumulating hype from a fan-base in what I call the Duke Nukem Effect. The game spent a good portion of it's development indefinitely postponed, and when it came to fixing it up, there really hadn't been 7 years of development put into it. Maybe two at most.

However, this doesn't mean it's a bad game. Sure, the AI is a little dumb and the graphics are mediocre, but then games with similarly poor graphics never really receive the abuse that this has. Campaign wise, yes, the story is... way off for an Aliens game, but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable if you forget the game's relation to its source material.

There are also loads of little references to the film that are nice for fans, and the atmosphere is quite well done the lighting in this is excellent, as is the fact that you can see your own feet and shadow really adds to the immersion.

A:CM is not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but if they can sort out the AI, it'll at least be respectable. It deserves more than it got, but less than the game should've achieved.
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    Is Aliens: CE a great game? Not even kinda. However, if you were to ask me if it were a bad game...well then the answer is no, not really. In my opinion, the honest truth is that Aliens: CE is just an average game with an Aliens brand, and perhaps that's why it's being trashed. So lets examine the game's faults right away. First and foremost, the graphics are mediocre to downright bad.Is Aliens: CE a great game? Not even kinda. However, if you were to ask me if it were a bad game...well then the answer is no, not really. In my opinion, the honest truth is that Aliens: CE is just an average game with an Aliens brand, and perhaps that's why it's being trashed. So lets examine the game's faults right away. First and foremost, the graphics are mediocre to downright bad. I've run the game on max settings and I'd be a colossal liar if I said it compared to the other 2013 titles. The dated look instantly made me think of Duke Nukem Forever. Up second is the AI, which isn't too bright either. Under the most ideal circumstances, there was one or two times where the Aliens made a maneuver that I didn't expect, but sadly the majority seemed content to just rush you from different angles. Granted, I myself could get past these issues fairly easily, but what really keeps me from loving Aliens: CE is the single-player campaign, which considering its title as a true canonical sequel, should be one of the most important aspects. Instead, single-player quickly becomes a shooting gallery of great set-pieces brought down by average fight sequences. Furthermore, the campaign is just too easy for any terror or tension to really emerge. I myself played on the Hardened difficulty, where the enemy could three-shot-kill-me, as it should be, but the dull AI and never ending discharge of bullets wrecks the atmosphere. That said, the campaign isn't a total miss, there are plenty of homages and tributes to the film, as well as some decent setpieces, but ultimately the atmosphere these things are trying to create just never really happens. Finally, several technical bugs have been reported in the game, though I myself have not run into any of these, it certainly isn't doing the game any favors.

And yet, Aliens: CE isn't a total loss, which is why I'm so reluctant to be complacent with a 4.5 average score. As said before, the environments and game entities have some tender love and care, and are accurate recreations of the sets from the films. At times the game is absolutely brimming with fan service, such as collecting weaponry used by the cast of the Aliens movie, or scouring the game for secrets and achievements named after movie events. All the iconic weaponry handles well enough (minus the half-baked cover system), and some of the action sequences started to make me feel like a bad-ass. Multiplayer, assuming it doesn't die in the next few weeks, was actually quite a satisfying experience and is where the game really shines. A good variety of modes, a solid mix of weapons, and some great tactics that only emerge when humans are at the wheel instead of AI's gives a pleasant glimpse into what the game should have been. In the rounds I played it was enjoyable to see xeno players find ways to lure and trick opponents, while marine players would develop strategies for staying safe and well protected. The multiplayer is also packed with customization options to fine-tune your playstyle with gun accessories, perks, armors, and plenty of cosmetics for both humans and aliens.

After six years in development, its understandably depressing that your patience has been rewarded with rather unremarkable sci-fi horror corridor shooter that sometimes grasps for greatness, and oftentimes falls flat on its face. And yet despite all the flaws, there's just enough gory, acidic goodness in the game to give me hope that an amazing aliens video game is not quite as impossible as it might seem.
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    Is it GOTY material? no.. is it better than Farcry 3? no.. is it a decent satisfying game experience set in the ALIENS universe? yes.

The hate-fest is silly and doesn't reflect reality at all. its a 7/10 game, no less and no more.
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    I don't need to write a review on Aliens: Colonial Marines, as all that needs to be said has been said, but I wanted to rant about an experience I had with the game, and I'm not even done with it yet. I really tried to look past all of the bad reviews and just experience the single player campaign for myself. Honestly I have been actually enjoying the game. I did find a few flaws with it:I don't need to write a review on Aliens: Colonial Marines, as all that needs to be said has been said, but I wanted to rant about an experience I had with the game, and I'm not even done with it yet. I really tried to look past all of the bad reviews and just experience the single player campaign for myself. Honestly I have been actually enjoying the game. I did find a few flaws with it: Like my two AI buddies being able to run right through each other. Aliens can also occupy the exact same space as well. I'm not sure why they didn't allow for colliders on the 3D entities. Also, the music sometimes would work, and other times it wouldn't work. I would have these firefights, that seemed kind of bland, and I would notice that no music was going on. Then I would get killed, and when the scene restarted, there would be music there. That is the equivalent of going through a haunted house, and one of the animatronics breaking down during the ride. I guess my biggest gripe is that the game appeared not to have been tested before release. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2013
    Though Aliens: Colonial Marines is getting a huge amount of bad reviews, it’s not an extremely bad game. Some of you may be thinking the whole point of the game was to kill a bunch of Xenomorphs and defeat the Queen, but it’s a little more than that. It may be lacking graphically, which sadly a lot of games are nowadays, and the story may be short, but it has some great points ofThough Aliens: Colonial Marines is getting a huge amount of bad reviews, it’s not an extremely bad game. Some of you may be thinking the whole point of the game was to kill a bunch of Xenomorphs and defeat the Queen, but it’s a little more than that. It may be lacking graphically, which sadly a lot of games are nowadays, and the story may be short, but it has some great points of nostalgia.

Yes, you have the Xenomorphs and the queen and every other iconic creature from the Alien movies, such as Facehuggers, but Xenomorphs aren’t the only threat in this game. There is also the Weyland Utani, and actually, the Weyland Utani play a huge role in the game, as well as adding some variety to the gameplay so that you’re not just fighting through hordes of Xenos. Easter Eggs, like Hicks’ shotgun, are sprinkled throughout the campaign and add a great deal of nostalgia, which I found to be quite entertaining. Sadly though, the story seems to end abruptly and seems unfinished, and considering the game was delayed that’s horrifyingly surprising.

The gameplay is fast paced, with occasional tasks taking a little longer than most, e.g. the dreaded “fetch quests”. AI are horribly programmed, with teammates blowing up explosive barrels every once in a while and setting you back to the last checkpoint, and checkpoints aren’t very abundant. Oh, and enemy AI can shoot through walls, which is super fun! (If you couldn’t tell, that was sarcasm.) Also, I played the game on Normal difficulty and the enemies proved to be semi-difficult at times, so I’d imagine they’re pretty hard on the highest difficulty. The multiplayer is also pretty fun, especially playing as the Xenos, they have some pretty cool abilities. You can also level up and customize your weapons and loadouts in multiplayer which allows for some variety. The multiplayer includes 4 modes: TDM, Extermination, Escape and Survivor which can be played on 9 maps.

“They’re coming outta the goddamn walls.” Hudson

The games models, textures and animations are way behind the times. The cinematics are about 5 years behind and don’t seem to sync up very well, nor do they transition smoothly. While the rest of the game pretty much looks like it should have come out in 2008, oh wait, that’s when they announced the delay the first time… Although, I’d say the lighting is quite nice, and with the brightness turned down it’s a little startling when you’re pounced on by an unexpected Xeno.

Ahh, the sound effects, they’re awesome. The sound of the pulse rifle has got to be one of my favorite sound effects in any game and the Xeno hiss is up there with the Predator click as one of the scariest sounds of all time. The rest of the sounds though weren’t very memorable, there’s nothing really special about them. The dialog was a bit weak especially outside of the cutscenes. But I did find the stories that Audio Logs tell to be interesting, especially the one about Newt’s family.

“They mostly come at night… mostly.” Newt

This game has little to no replay value when it comes to campaign, but multiplayer can be played for a while. With tons of leveling and customizing to do, the multiplayer rivals that of current games, especially the garbage that is MW3.

So, with a seemingly unfinished story, not so cutting-edge graphics by any means, and a laughably easy last mission it doesn’t have much of a chance. But, for a fan of the Alien franchise, this is one of the more authentic games out there. The multiplayer redeems the game itself by offering a Left 4 Dead-like experience, with Marines vs. Xenomorphs. And, the nostalgia was enough to make me buy the game. Overall, it was a fun game, but nothing amazing.

Game over, man!
  9. Feb 23, 2013
    After playing you, the feeling is rare.
    1) The best of the game is the sound. Guns sound like in the movie. I think it's the best atmosphere achieved (not the visuals is lousy, I got better with the sweet nothing).
    2) Graphics cuestinables the time. Safan. 3) AI-sas-tro-za. The worst part of the game. 4) good gameplay and good story (although everything is open to criticism) 5) Final
    After playing you, the feeling is rare.
    2) Graphics cuestinables the time. Safan.
    3) AI-sas-tro-za. The worst part of the game.
    4) good gameplay and good story (although everything is open to criticism)
    5) Final open (and bad?) Which gives the possibility to Gearbox to patch everything bad in this 1st part.
    6) It could have been a great game, but it's like a diamond in the rough. I miss polishing asperities (which people no longer banking). When will they understand? It would have been better to wait 6 months and now be putting a 9
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to this game for quite a while and my initial reaction to single player was massive disappointment. The AI of both enemies and friendlies leaves a lot to be desired. I'd often lose my AI team mates, or they'd get stuck or even more annoying frequently walk in the way. The team mate damage was pitiful but it's a common thing when you play single player shooters, youI'd been looking forward to this game for quite a while and my initial reaction to single player was massive disappointment. The AI of both enemies and friendlies leaves a lot to be desired. I'd often lose my AI team mates, or they'd get stuck or even more annoying frequently walk in the way. The team mate damage was pitiful but it's a common thing when you play single player shooters, you are supposed to be the one doing the killing. The single player levels are repetitive, aim down sights is actually fairly inaccurate and the graphics weren't at the quality they were represented in 'gameplay demos'. The story and characters were also lacking in depth, nothing really drew me into the aliens universe.

All that being said the multiplayer gameplay really shines. I enjoyed all game modes and despite a few problems in the days after release with matchup delays in AU I found it a really enjoyable experience and made the pre-order cost worth the money I paid ($35 AU on GMG).

Overall the game is ok, but all of the real aliens feel of the game for me came from the multiplayer. At the time of writing there are still a few glitches with character voices which can be mostly overlooked, often the marines call out when they are dead or just use sound bytes that aren't relevant to the activity.
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is not bad i see that is better on the pc because the pc versions do not have problems whit graphic.The gameplay is ok you will get scared sometimes and if you play it on a harder difficulty the game gets harder and better.My biggest issue is the stupid friendly AI it is just stupid it lets the xenos kill you without helping but they still help sometimes.The game does notThis game is not bad i see that is better on the pc because the pc versions do not have problems whit graphic.The gameplay is ok you will get scared sometimes and if you play it on a harder difficulty the game gets harder and better.My biggest issue is the stupid friendly AI it is just stupid it lets the xenos kill you without helping but they still help sometimes.The game does not deserve 1 and 4 it deserves a 7 or a 6.6 out of 10 if you do not like aliens you will not like this game a lot but if you like aliens and you have friends that have time to play co-op whit you than thee game gets better.My final verdict is a 7/10 Expand
  12. Feb 20, 2013
    I love this game, it worth every penny I spent. Seriously people, it's not that bad.

Let's look at the problem people are talking about: Graphic Sucks Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3

Let's look at the problem people are talking about:

Graphic Sucks

Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3 before, it's graphic is way worst than ACM, it's story is uninspired and makes no sense at all, but it scores 7.5 on gamespot, really? If we apply the standard people enforce on ACM, every game needs to have Crysis level graphics and big-shot writer script to be call a decent game. But since it's obviously we don't judge a game by it's graphics, than why does ACM gets so much more hate for this?

AI is stupid, no challenge unless play the hardest difficulty

I finished the game on Soldier difficulty, I don't even know where is this opinion coming from, the AI is fine in my opinion. Yes sometimes your AI teammates get stuck on some places, but it's not like it never happened to other games before, and for me it only happens 1~2 times so it didn't bothers me at all. Enemy Xenomorph are fairly intelligent, I heard people are complaining about “They only charge at you, they don't flank you or anything.” I have to say from my own experience, the xenos can move very fast and surround you very quickly if you don't have a good aim, also they pounce at you from a distance sometimes, makes you have to keep pressing E to survive, I say they are fairly challenging. Don't forget the Xenos outnumbering the player by a huge percentage, if they all play hide and seek and being very smart, marines won't have a chance! You wouldn't have a game here.

Story makes no sense, bad ending.

I partially agree with this, the game could use a better story, the ending is a bit abrupt yes, but understandable.(sort of) But even though, I don't think the story is THAT bad, not bad enough to warrant all the hate it got anyway.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the mindset you got when you play the game. If you got all hyped up by the PR, then you probably going to be very disappointed. But when I play this game I walk into it with one simple mindset

”Kill Xenomorph with Pulse Rifle and Smartgun, visit Sulaco and LV-426, experience the scenes from the movie ”

And I got everything I was paying for, so for me, this game rocks, as for people who expected more than this, unless RIDLEY SCOTT and JAMES CAMERON themselves are working on this project, you are expecting too much from Gearbox.
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    The trouble I find with a game like this is everyone has such high expectations and only seems to like to pick out the bad bits, completely forgetting the rest.
    It's an Aliens game, its going to be limited in what it can do without destroying it's own universe (you may think all the AVP films and games did that, but lets forget those never happened), throw in that any high budget game is nearly always made for the console then ported to the PC and you have another issue, technology limitations. So why expect something that it never will be?

Starting with the good:
    - You got to be a fan of the film, not the franchise, just the film. I mean the sort of fan that will watch it a few times a year and can recite most of the quotes. If you're not then you'll probably just think of it as a generic shooter. Which I am!
    - Sounds and music are great, it really does sound like a pulse rifle and motion tracker, and lets face it you'll pretty much just be using those the whole game.
    - Some nice touches re-creating the Aliens scenery, finding the med bay, the room where Burke let a facehugger loose on Ripley and Newt, and even the trike you see at the beginning of the directors cut.
    - First time around it's great to shoot up a load of Aliens, hordes of them and even the single hunters that hide and wait for you. Can get old fast with the AI Marines with you though.
    - Fun coop on Ultimate Badass mode, provided you haven't played the single player yet. "You go first", "No YOU go first"

The no so impressive side:
    - Buggy AI, seems to get stuck sometimes and teleport in front of you. Not sure what that's about but there has been worse around. Give it a rest.
    - Can't use the motion tracker to find enemies in the next room until you open the door and get attacked. Maybe they're just not moving, it is a 'motion' tracker and not a 'stationary' tracker after all.
    - Fight too many humans, a little was fine but bleh, it's called Aliens so should have lots of them!
    - Checkpoints seem to make things behind you disappear, leaving no reason to watch your six.

Non-Issues, things people whine about because they can:
    - Graphics look a bit flat, but it doesn't struggle. The Sulaco and Hadleys Hope wasnt exactly build with textured wallpaper.
    - Story and Voice acting. It's not the best but it's about as annoying as being forced to cut your toenails once in a while. It's minimal and you just deal with it.
    - Marines get a boost in multiplayer just by playing the campaign making being an alien rather difficult to begin with.

That's all, now please stop whining.
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    After laying multiplayer some more and get some more control of the alien im adding 3 points to this game review it will even go to an 8 if most problems will be adressed and when there will be new (usefull) content.
    At first it was horrible now its just a game that just lacks love from the developers.
    Alien controlls still are clunky but manageable. Campaign is quite the generic walk
    Alien controlls still are clunky but manageable.
    Campaign is quite the generic walk down a hallway and shoot stuff but gets you special guns.
    AI is just silly voice acting could be good only its to repetetive and should change during the campaign levels.
    Graphics are okay its not bad and it isnt marvelous either.
    server browsing should be added it is one of the things that keeps multiplayer alive.
    Servers should be able to migrate host to counter abrupt game endings and need to search a new game again.
    marine weapons feel alright altough a little overpowered in escape mode (my opinion).
    weird friendly fire system no damage from bullets but explosions do so it should be changed to on or off.

Overall fun to play online, campaign could be fun on hardest dificulty.
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    Pretty solid if you're a fan of the series. It's basically just a fan service game layered over a mediocre cover shooter. But it's not that bad, and it has Steamworks integration, co-op, and some novel multiplayer modes. I wouldn't drop $50 on it, but it's easily worth $20 or so.

Pros: Sound is dead on for rifles, xenos, etc. Voice acting is good. Environment/atmosphere. They really

Pros:
    Sound is dead on for rifles, xenos, etc. Voice acting is good.
    Environment/atmosphere. They really captured the visuals from Aliens 2.
    Steamwork integration party system.
    FoV slider unlike many ports brought to PC.

Cons:
    Limited graphical options, relatively poor quality for a 2013 release.
    Occasional animation bugs.
    Extremely stupid AI (both friendly and hostile)
    Most exciting moments are scripted.
    Very easy even on hardest difficulty. ("Ultimate Badass" is about where normal should have been.)
  16. Feb 14, 2013
    Bottom line I've had a ton of fun with this game, as it has always been a fantasy of mine to be in the boots of a colonial marine out on another bug hunt. I just cannot see how this game is dinged for things such as poor textures, sub par AI, and an unimaginative story. What I mean to say is there needs to be some kind of standard here, you can apply these very same criticisms to MW3 andBottom line I've had a ton of fun with this game, as it has always been a fantasy of mine to be in the boots of a colonial marine out on another bug hunt. I just cannot see how this game is dinged for things such as poor textures, sub par AI, and an unimaginative story. What I mean to say is there needs to be some kind of standard here, you can apply these very same criticisms to MW3 and BO2, yet Colonial Marines is viewed as a blight on the industry. Maybe my standards have softened after ME3, but I've found entertainment and value in this game. Perhaps I just enjoy shooting aliens for a change as opposed to people with different skin colors and implied bad intentions. In conclusion this doesn't reinvent the wheel, more or less just spitting acid on it, making for a bumpy yet very authentic ride.
    Recommended after a steam discount.
  17. Feb 13, 2013
    So this is my first time ever writing a review for something.....ever. I've been a gamer ever since the NES came out. (sheesh..I feel lold). I am also a big movie buff and remember seeing Alien and Aliens when I was younger and it scared me to death! It also was one of the best forms of story telling I have ever seen in horror movies. So, for me as a gamer mixing the too is HUGE! I'veSo this is my first time ever writing a review for something.....ever. I've been a gamer ever since the NES came out. (sheesh..I feel lold). I am also a big movie buff and remember seeing Alien and Aliens when I was younger and it scared me to death! It also was one of the best forms of story telling I have ever seen in horror movies. So, for me as a gamer mixing the too is HUGE! I've played all the major titles like Gears of War, God of War, Mario Bros, etc, etc. So in this review I want to talk to the people I feel this will appeal to. Is the game worth $60....no....it is not...I payed that and it is not. Also a heads up to those of you getting the Collector's Edition...the "statute" is smaller than the game case...so I downgraded...I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Marcus statue I own from Gears of War 3. I did not get the game that was advertised....doesn't match the screen shots...or hype that we were promised....but....we did get pieces of that promised expierence...and that has been enough for me. The graphics are 1st gen 360 (Turok) and there is a lot of screen tearing in single player...but....the sound is amazing....and took me right back to the days of hiding behind the couch in fear of seeing what the aliens were going to do to people. But...back to the game....I've enjoyed this game....ENJOYED!...not like Call of Duty...Battlefield.....Gears of War......but as an Aliens game.....Yes...you do play through the same levels as the movie....and people complain....Are you telling me that you are a fan and have no interest of seeing those same scenes in PLAYABLE FORM!!! Come on! When I was a kid I dreamed of going down those corriders and shooting those aliens with every gun, gernade, and friend I have ever seen in Aliens, and here...you finally get to do it!!! This is a game for Aliens fans looking for more aliens.....not Aliens fans looking for Halo 4, Call of Duty, and Battlefield, but fans who loved the material. Yes the graphics bothered me at first....esp. when I saw there was screen tearing in the start menu...bluh...but I have become engrossed in this franchise and if you want a really "creepy, scary" version of the game the play AVP from 2010...I thought it was more edgy...but if you wanna scream "let's rock" and shootem up with a friend...DO IT!!!! I thought the story was good...not great...but not bad....but it functions! and I think pretty well. The sound....the sound is Great!!!....From the pulse rifle...to the motion tracker...its great! And for the people complaining about having so many weapons....apprently you didn't see the movies...they were LOADED!!! They had all these toys! Yea...you can't carry that many in real life...but at least you can say...oh yea....this is a smart gun moment!...too bad I can only do that on level 2....nope...now you can do it whenever....Now for multiplayer...I hated it....at first....its starting to grow on me.....and yes...the camera and controls suck for the aliens....but once you invest some time into them....it got better....and the marines were always fun to play as....but everyone will find their mode in it.....so....overall this is what I have to say rating this game....

Graphics- 6
    Sound- 10
    Gameplay- 7
    Replay- 7

One review on here summed it up.....some people are gonna love it....some people are gonna hate it! But only review if you've played it.....I'm pretty sure a lot of the negative reviews are from those who haven't even played the game...but if you have and felt this way....then it wasn't meant for you....its generic....and outdated....but it still captures something for me that I found in the films. Curiosity and the fun that comes from the Alien universe....I play games because they are fun....its how they are supposed to be! And just for the record....these reviews you "fans" put out that people read....are the reason the game industry is failing...when investors see these numbers and comments....they make big decisions based on these....I don't want any developers to go under....cause its less product for us!! They don't play the games....and when they see this....adios developers...publishers...etc....so take that into account before you go trashing a game...especially if its one you haven't played or don't like cause its the "other guy"......if anyone reads this...thanks for your time....hope you have a great one!
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    GOOD
    -Up to 4 player co-op
    -Xeno 3rd person perspective -Interesting multi-player modes -level up system for xenos -Customization of your guns BAD -Graphics are a bit rough -Alien AI is sketchy -More action less atmosphere in single player -Overall Polish -No dedicated servers? -It lets you carry too many weapons -Limited online functions (eg cannot search a game by ping)
    GOOD
    -Up to 4 player co-op
    -Xeno 3rd person perspective
    -Interesting multi-player modes
    -level up system for xenos
    -Customization of your guns
    BAD
    -Graphics are a bit rough
    -Alien AI is sketchy
    -More action less atmosphere in single player
    -Overall Polish
    -No dedicated servers?
    -It lets you carry too many weapons
    -Limited online functions (eg cannot search a game by ping) Matchmaking only
    -No real feeling of terror in single player, multi player can make you fear the aliens though playing as a marine.
    I don't think any parts of it are terrible (pc version) but there are plenty of things which could be improved. Which is why it was panned so bad I think, it being Alien franchise it has a lot to live up to. It being in development for 6 years is a joke really.
    I would describe the game as a pick up and play decent budget game.
  19. Feb 13, 2013
    I'll try to be short and sweet with my review. I'll start by saying that this is a game that will not win any GOTY awards, however it's not nearly the train wreck that some people have made it out to be. Also I've heard alot of complaints on how easy the game is. Set the difficulty at hardened or greater and you should get a good challenge.

Audio 9 Overall the game has great audio,

Audio 9
    Overall the game has great audio, well done and authentic sounds from the movies .

Graphics- 7
    I'd say that the graphics on this game are average to good for this console generation, that being said on PC, it would be nice to really be able to max everything, although the PC graphics are better than the console versions.

Story-4
    Well, they tried, unfortunately trying doesn't guarantee success. With some professional writers and a bit more thought and time they could have made a very compelling story, but they didn't

Replayability-9
    Ok, so the single player campaign isn't the best, and if this were a single player only game, that would warrant a 3 out of 10. But there is also a multiplayer element to this game that I find very entertaining and addictive(although the marines seem a bit more overpowered than the aliens, but it could be because my alien toon is low level. If they continue to develop multiplayer maps and features, then this game could turn out rather well. Let's be honest, no one is buying COD black ops for the single player, and if they did, they would be pretty disappointed. I would compare aliens CM to COD Black ops in that respect. Sure the single player is mediocre at best, but the multiplayer can pick up the slack.
  20. Feb 13, 2013
    In my honest opinion:
    In my honest opinion:
    I so far have only played the single player campaign, and I liked it. I enjoyed the game play, and I found myself immersed in nostalgia. Even though the AI was horribly clunky, Marine NPCs were getting caught on the smallest of objects, they would occasionally disappear and reappear and at times they felt like a waste of space who couldn't aim to save their lives, this is because they're an NPC, in a shooter. They're not there to do the work for you, they're there to provide minimum backup while you show the world what and ultimate badass really is. Even the Alien AI wasn't all that hot, however basic warriors still didn't make a sound. They still used ambush tactics, would come through vents, grates on the ground, etc. They did as they were supposed to. Even though certain mechanics such as; taking cover, moving over cover, squad commands, and a few other small things could have been added, as a whole. The game was not too bad. The storyline was short, however you have to remember that this is a FPS that doesn't have a direct roleplaying interaction. Linear FPS games are meant to be short. You're not supposed to spend days upon days working your way through the story as if you were playing an RPG like Skyrim. Short, precise plot points telling you were to go, what to do. After all you're a God damn Marine. If you found the game play of the main story wasn't scary enough, turn down the brightness and increase the difficulty. Play in the dark. Use headphones instead of speakers. Don't sit in a room with the light on, don't have your brightness up so that you have perfect night vision, make it so that all you can hear are your own footsteps down a hallway with the small 'blip' sounds from your motion tracker.

But you know... Let's just verbally destroy a game a couple of days after its release. You know, on-release bugs make a game and all.
  21. Feb 14, 2013
    Sure, the game isn't breaking new ground, and it would have benefited from a tactical shooter approach rather than a straight FPS, but it's still enjoyable, particularly if you're a fan of the source material. Multiplayer modes are quite fun if played with friends and other fans, and headphones with surround sound make a big difference in atmosphere. It could certainly use some polish,Sure, the game isn't breaking new ground, and it would have benefited from a tactical shooter approach rather than a straight FPS, but it's still enjoyable, particularly if you're a fan of the source material. Multiplayer modes are quite fun if played with friends and other fans, and headphones with surround sound make a big difference in atmosphere. It could certainly use some polish, but unlike many higher-rated games, the story is at least more engaging. Expectations were very high with the game, so it's no wonder it's getting trashed. Setting up friends-only games was a breeze, and we had no trouble with drop-in/drop outs. Our friendly AI were pretty helpful, actually, and the aliens were persistent and varied in their attack vectors, though the Weyland Yutani troops were a little too quick to leave cover in search of a better angle. Other than that....

We've been enjoying it. That's my two cents.
  22. Feb 14, 2013
    Si bien el juego se ve antiguo, es un gran juego.. la campaña dura solamente 6 horas, pero tiene mucha rejugabilidad por el sistema de lvl y desbloqueos de armas/mejoras. La IA es absurdamente tonta, pero jugando en coop es donde el juego brilla y se hace realmente divertido.
    las texturas son similares a las que tiene el juego Rage de ID Software, de cerca son horribles, pero mirando desde cierta distancia la ambientacion es muy bien lograda.
    El juego podria ser mejor? si
    pero lo compensa con un modo multiplayer que cuando funciona, es realmente divertido.
    mi puntaje es un 7, y si hubiera tenido mejores graficas el puntaje seria mayor.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    It has some glaring issues that could be repaired in future patches. From a single player perspective, the writing is sub-standard although supposed to be canon and there are portions of voice acting where the NPC's sound as if they don't care for the script. Even still, with a multiplayer group, and the highest difficulty settings some fun may still be had by a few gamers. I wouldn'tIt has some glaring issues that could be repaired in future patches. From a single player perspective, the writing is sub-standard although supposed to be canon and there are portions of voice acting where the NPC's sound as if they don't care for the script. Even still, with a multiplayer group, and the highest difficulty settings some fun may still be had by a few gamers. I wouldn't recommend it for someone solely wishing to play single-player mode, as it has no new game or replay value. Expand
  24. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, this was a fun game. In fact, I'm going to play it a second time on a harder difficulty because I enjoyed it so much. I do have a few "issues" with the game though... Firstly the default PC controls are poorly assigned... Push "V" for melee combat... seriously!? Melee is meant to be quick and swift, I had to constantly look down at my keyboard to find the "V" key when an alien pounced on me. Also, making "F" key the alternate fire key... seriously!? I feel like the mouse should handle all the weapon controls. Primary fire is left click, secondary fire can be right-click, or middle-click. Not pushing "F" on the keyboard... That's like having to reach down and push a button on your Hip to make your gun launch a grenade. Just doesn't make sense... So anyways, I reassigned it so that left-click was primary-fire, middle-click was alt-fire, right click was melee-attack, "F" was flashlight. The game was much better from that point on.

The next thing I noticed was a somewhat buggy AI... From time to time, I would see enemies running into walls or not moving at all while I shoot them. The "co-op" AI was also somewhat dumb, just standing getting shot in many cases... But I can look past some of it... Being a developer myself, I understand that building a good AI is super difficult.

Lastly, the end Boss battle... SPOILER ALERT... The end boss battle was LAME! You run around, push 5 buttons, and its over... Never using any weapons... Seriously? All these weapons i've been upgrading, and customizing, and I dont get to use any of them for the final battle? Not even a couple times? Nope... You literally run around a room, avoiding the queen, while you push 5 buttons, that eventually eject her from the ship... Pretty lame... You dont even get to use the Power Loader suit. In fact, you only get to use the Power Loader suit ONCE in the entire game... Why go through all the effort to have the Power Loader when you only use it once... and its a crappy battle when you do use it... I feel like they could have done more with the Power Loader and the Final Battle. At least involved using your weapons somehow.
  25. Feb 18, 2013
    Most of these reviews are garbage because 90% have no clue what actually happened. I've played them from day one even after the graphic fixes this game is by far underrated
  26. Mar 11, 2013
    Many of you should be ashamed for black balling this game so horribly. I've had many hours of entertaining game play out of it. and half of you never even picked it up and feel you can review it. 47 hours of enjoyment this game has given me. try and get that at your local bar for 50 bucks.
  27. Mar 13, 2013
    The overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say thisThe overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say this game belongs in the $29 to $39 range.

The unlocks add an interesting twist, and the weapon mods a little flavor, but I would have preferred more story and less CoD.
  28. May 4, 2013
    The pc version is MILES better than the xbox version and the game can be pretty fun at times. so far the only problems I see can be fixed with patches or in the next 3 dlc packs
  29. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  30. Jun 20, 2014
    Playing this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not allPlaying this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not all that bad. It's not a AAA game, but it's far from being a BAD game - matter of fact, Gearbox did a pretty good job given the short time frame they had to fix it up. The controls are solid, the gameplay's relatively entertaining, the only thing that irritated me was a glitch that caused the game to relaunch every time I wanted to quit it. In all honesty, if it weren't for the hype, I reckon reviews for this game would've been mixed to positive. It isn't a bad game. It may not be the best, but it isn't bad by a long shot. If you've never played it, but heard of its infamy, maybe you should give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  31. Feb 12, 2013
    A diamond in the rough is exactly what this game is. I think the development cycle was far too long for it. It came out with too many hands in it's honey pot I think. A few patches and the game will be golden. On the other hand, this game was definitely made for fans of Aliens (the second movie in the franchise.). As fans know, Aliens was the action oriented movie out of the franchise, andA diamond in the rough is exactly what this game is. I think the development cycle was far too long for it. It came out with too many hands in it's honey pot I think. A few patches and the game will be golden. On the other hand, this game was definitely made for fans of Aliens (the second movie in the franchise.). As fans know, Aliens was the action oriented movie out of the franchise, and focused heavily on Hicks and his marines, and a lot less on scare's and horror movie tropes as Alien, Alien 3, and Alien: Resurrection did. As such, in ASM you take the role of a marine in a squad and similar to the film, you shoot your way through dark and dimly lit areas where aliens and other things are creeping around every corner. The graphics are a mixed bag, the Aliens models look fantastic, where as the marines look quite dated. Textures in areas range from muddy to acceptable. Lighting effects are fantastic, and sound effects and music are stellar and way above par and fit with the Aliens theme PERFECTLY. I love the sound of my pulse rifle going off. The plot is dull in the first mission, but picks up quickly and steadily gets better and better as it goes. Multiplayer is truly where it's at with this one, tons of fun to be had through co-op and various player vs player modes which i can see being filled out even more with DLC in the future. As i said though the game is a DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH, and is in need of a few good patches. Some animations in the game, especailly alien ones, seem janky and disorienting, i've seen aliens get stuck in terrain and obstacles, or face the wrong way at times. Other times they crawl across walls and ceilings to drop down on you from behind which is fantastic. All these issues can be easily fixed with a few patches. Though it is frustrating when the game has been in development for over 6 years and still has these issues. Though who knows how much development actually went on in those years? In the end, the game is fun. It's a love-note to fans of the movie and the series in general, and those of you who are big fans will take note of the lovingly re-created areas, sounds, weapons, and characters from those films. It is a must play for franchise fans. If you are expecting a super polished 200 million dollar budget title in the vein of Battlefield 3? You are going to be disappointed. If you enjoyed aliens, or enjoy varied and robust co op and multiplayer (Left 4 dead fans look within!) you will find a lot to enjoy here. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)