7.5

1. Nov 26, 2010
    I came at this game with high hopes. I am an avid gamer and RPGs are especially close to my heart. However, I was disappointed with this game for several reasons, all of which fit under the umbrella of failed to live up to expectations. A breakdown:
    1. Ability to customize playable character is minimal at best. Cosmetic options are very limited, and the skill trees are drawing from an
    awfully shallow pool.
    2. The game borrows rather than steals, becoming a reminder of better games rather than developing past greats into something new. The gameplay is *highly* derivative. To say that the game reminds strongly of: Mass Effect, the Hitman series, and the weaker moments of Splinter Cell, hardly seems like criticism; but the versions encountered in Alpha Protocol are watered down and consistently miss the mark. In doing so, they serve not as a presence of ingenious design and engaging gameplay, but as a poor copy that draws attention to its failure to imitate more perfectly. 3. The game does bring to the table a very interesting dialogue system, modeled on the ME radial. On the whole it is reasonably well-written, supports replay, and fits with the tone of the story. 4. That said, because of the cookie-cutter construction of the game, the dialogue comes out of the mouths of puppets who are obviously puppets and at no point flirt with becoming characters. 5. The AI is frequently stupid and occasionally idiotic. 6. Mechanics issues abound. Errors which in another game might be no more than irritations, in a spy game where goals, story tone, skill trees, dialogue structure are all to some extent hung on the notion of the main character being (indeed becoming) a specialist, the utter failure to allow the possibility of precise and deliberate action was, at least for me, a game-breaking flaw and fouled the whole experience.

In all, the hopes and enthusiasm I had for the game were soundly dashed by poor design decisions and what to all appearances seems to be an astonishing lack of post-production quality control.
  2. Dec 7, 2010
    The game starts off rather well. You learn about combat, and the rest of the games mechanics... The stealth and melee is quite enjoyable, but the guns are rather sub-par and the mini-games are just awful. The mini-games aren't fun and they have no place in an action game.

The boss fights, oh how horrible they are. They are tedious at best. You fight some enemy with extra health and they
    deal extra damage. If you went melee then you're probably going to get beaten up in a fist fight with any boss. Then, the boss fights get worse as the game goes on. There's no enjoyment is spending that much time on a fight. The story is very cliche and offers limited choices. The bugs really bring the game down, but the annoyances found in the gameplay will draw your attention instead.

If the game were just about the stealth, melee, and the occasional gun fight then it'd be a real gem... but there's just too much garbage covering up the fun.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    I'm glad I only paid $2 for this on steam. Behind the frustrating control and menu interface bugs, it's a crappy port of a half-decent 3PS with some RPG elements. The cover mechanics could use some work and the AI is just terribad for 2010. The plot and level design are the only saving graces here. The variety of characters and relevant storyline are enough to keep you interested, even intrigued.
  4. Jul 27, 2011
    Do not buy that game! I reinstalled it after month after my first sadness with it at steam to take a look what happened till now.. But really.. Its a huge fail-development and maybe one of the biggest mistakes of obsidian. I never seen much of the story, I never met all the interesting characters and I never decided epic moments cuz one of the mini games in the game ruined all the fun I could have. HACKING is a huge bad portation and the idea to create such an hard mini-game is really sick. AND without a "pad" beyond possibility. My first hack in-game was my very last. I tried it for hours and hours but cuz of the inaccurate mouse-sensitivity I never could log in these randomized keywords. All other mini-games are no match, easy and funny, but hacking is the biggest slur within such public game and a crime against 08-15 gamers. And I wont tell you anything bout aiming, cuz its another joke of the developer. There are no patches to disable Hacking or better aiming since game came out. Do not waste your money like me. The one game I wished I never had bought is Alpha protocol. Buy something better. ;) Expand
  5. Sep 24, 2011
    It might have been a good game, but not anymore. SEGA seems to have taken the activation servers offline. There is no change of replaying this game I bought at release. It just won't activate anymore.
    The patch SEGA released to remove the activation also does not work, since it prevents the game from even starting.

Maybe the Steam version is working better, but I'm not going to buy a
    game twice. This is SEGA and DRM at their worst. Stay away from this game. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2011
    I am not what you would call an FPS fan but I kept reading about how this is really an RPG game with shooter elements and that it is vastly underrated. I now think those people are loony. I don't know how good the RPG elements are in this game or anything about replayability because frankly the game is so bad that I never got beyond about 20 minutes in. What's wrong with the game has been stated in other reviews: bad engine, clunky controls, obvious console port. I got the game when it was for $2 on a Steam sale and thankfully so because if I had paid more I would have been livid. When you read other reviews about how good the story and dialog are in this game be aware you are reading reviews from people who can ignore all the **** to find the diamond. I couldn't do it. Expand
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    I'll be concentrating on the user interface and the performance. The graphics and story are OK, i'm not picky. Okay. I have a decent system, 4 gigs ram, geforce 560ti, core 2 duo e8200, maybe a little light on the CPU but its ok. I tried all the video options on and also tried the game with them all off. As with most consolitis games, the video options are a bit limitied.

I see that
    this game suffers from consolitis and lacks polish. The loading times are too long, even for something as simple as loading a checkpoint then dying then reloading the last checkpoint. Loading time is also too long for such simple stuff as opening the map or opening one of the menus such as weapons or gadgets. When loading a save or loading a new level at least there's a spinning AP logo on the screen but otherwise, the game looks like its frozen. Then there are lots of pauses. Example, you are running forwards then make a 90 degree turn to your left to a stair or ramp, after turning a few degrees there is a split second pause then you find yourself turned 270 degrees so you have the stairs behind you and you're face into the wall or sometimes its 180 degrees and you're going back the way you came. The scrolling is horrible in menus. The mouse wheel works but if you have say 2 windows like in the email window, scrolling the mouse wheel only scrolls the list of emails on the left while the message on the right window cannot be controlled by the mouse wheel. You can always click on the scroll up and down buttons but they are soo small. Plus there are pauses scrolling to an email or a weapon that's on the next page of a list

The menus like the PDA and the weapon menus don't recognize the ESC. So for example in the map to go back to the game you have to mouse click on the "back" button then press TAB. you can only jump from say the weapon to the skill menu only by mouse clicking on a small arrow. You can't use the keyboard shortcut keys. And for exiting those menus going back to the game you can't press ESC, you gotta press the key assigned to it

Very Very poor interface design. A shame since the RPG system, the story and the combat is OK
  8. Dec 23, 2012
    One of the worst games I've ever played. It pretty much sums up how it would turn out if I suddenly decided to make a Mass Effect clone. And the engine, ugh.... don't even get me started... let's just say it's Unreal Engine 2 (yes, that's two, you read that correctly) and it shows. *ucking everywhere, the graphics, physics, animation, particle effects, audio... This game has been made by a bunch of morons with an Orangutan as the lead programmer. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    Mind-numbing conversation system, HORRIBLE controls that were obviously a failed port and a maddeningly difficult hacking system (which you'll have to engage in often) all make this game more of a bother than it's worth.
  10. Jul 7, 2014
    The game is riddled with mini-games. One of them, hacking computers, is actually impossible if you play with a mouse and keyboard.
    Thousands of complaints on the internet haven't been enough to change this mini-game which was created for consoles.

Don't buy this game if you haven't a controller. You've been warned.

1. From the beginning of the game, till the ending, I was relatively pleased with how important and impactful the decisions I made were.
  2. Mediocre gameplay hides an enjoyable RPG with moments of genius. But it could have been so much more. [Aug 2010, p.56]
  3. That exhilarating core deserves more than the pretty rancid crust that tops it. [Aug 2010, p.76]