8.4

1. May 11, 2012
    First off I played this on the Xbox 360. It was included as a freebie when you bought the sequel. Anyways I never gave this game a chance in the last 10 years- I always saw the cover and American McGee and thought, "meh", (I didnt know American McGee was a real person let alone a man.

Anyways, after the wait Im glad I played it. Its an excellent platformer thats a ton of fun to play.
    Interesting, dark story and characters, cool weapons and cool bosses round the list. Only issues I had are with the camera now and again but not a big deal. Im now a huge fan of the series and started playing the sequel and looking for merchandise. Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2011
    I wish i still had a handle on this game anyway i have played it many times back in the day and i have to say the atmosphere in this game is psychedelically intense like a bad acid trip. Fun gameplay my only complaint is the story left out some important characters from what i remember the walrus and the carpenter, all in all i wish i still had this game on my shelf.
  3. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "While you'll undoubtedly enjoy the imaginative artwork, you might end up disappointed with just how straightforward the underlying game really is."

Dunno who made that review but I certainly enjoyed every bit of the game. The music was awesome, the story just blowed me away, and the so-called "unbalanced" weapons adds to the thrill (i mean taking on your first set of boojums with a knife and a deck of cards and triumphantly defeating them...hell yeah they're pain in the ass and they deserve some "PUNISHMENT"...)

I recommend "REAL" gamers to play this game....(if you're a kid who grew up playing DMC or GOW and sees them as a standard of a great game, i suggest you step back a little from this title...)

If you just played the game just to see some flaws in it...maybe just maybe you've missed a whole lot of what it can offer.(clue: you might or not know about it but i think you can kill every boss in this game the "CHEAP" way--haven't tried the jabberwock yet--but holds true for the D*chess(thanks for a certain guys boss wthrough), Twe*dl* Bros, and even the badass final boss herself.....(i discovered that lol))
  4. Nov 22, 2012
    One of the best presented action games there is, Alice creates a dark and gritty world with beautiful level design and an intense gaming experience. It creates a lot of mood and every level feels different with the story picking up pace and the final confrontation looming on the horizon. Outstanding in its diversity of levels and well executed elements (design of weapons; variation in enemies according to the respective level), this is a must-have title for actions fans (that also like some elements of horror) as it is really different from most competitors in the genre. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    Although by today's standards, this games graphics would be considered VERY dated, I remember playing this game as a child. It takes a classic children's story and warps it in such a way, that is both disturbing and interesting. The combat is still simple and easy to use, and there is a large variety in weapons. A feature that is often lacking in many of today's games. If you haven't played American McGee's Alice, I highly suggest that you do. It is definitely a memorable and worthwhile game. Expand

1. The action falls short of amazing because certain elements, such as the poor A.I., do not hold up their end of the bargain, but Alice is still a fascinating trip that is well worth the tumble down the rabbit hole.
  2. What really impressed me about Alice's visuals is the imaginativeness of the designers, and the highly thematic environments, which completely differ from one level to another and are brought to life with some crisp and detailed textures.
  3. The levels, the characters - everything about this game is beautiful. The levels are easily the prettiest and most creative I have ever seen, each one designed in its own unique style. You couldn't get a better result if you threw Tim Burton or Clive Barker into the mix.