8.3

1. ShawnH.
    Nov 21, 2005
    Beautiful artwork, bright colorful levels and strange quirky music make this a great game. There is a good variety of weapons that I have not seen in other games. For example, one weapon you can use are jumping jacks that continuallly bounce and strike your enemy rapidly. My favorite is the jack in the box, which can be used as a grenade or as a stationary/rotating flamethrower. As far as Beautiful artwork, bright colorful levels and strange quirky music make this a great game. There is a good variety of weapons that I have not seen in other games. For example, one weapon you can use are jumping jacks that continuallly bounce and strike your enemy rapidly. My favorite is the jack in the box, which can be used as a grenade or as a stationary/rotating flamethrower. As far as Chrissie's comment that you need a walkthrough, maybe she should stick with solitaire. This is a straight forward run and gun, with some interesting level design and effects. Some of the boss characters required quite a bit of playtime to figure out their weakness, but once I did, they were relatively easy to beat. My biggest gripe is the lame ending. It was a big letdown to invest all this time and be rewarded with a grainy, CG video with no explanation and no cinematic flair. Its as if the programmers were rushing to get the game out the door and threw the ending together in 30 minutes. Otherwise, a very fun gaming experience. Expand
  2. TG
    May 11, 2005
    Still looks fresh today. atmospheric levels and great weapons.
  3. May 11, 2012
    First off I played this on the Xbox 360. It was included as a freebie when you bought the sequel. Anyways I never gave this game a chance in the last 10 years- I always saw the cover and American McGee and thought, "meh", (I didnt know American McGee was a real person let alone a man.

Anyways, after the wait Im glad I played it. Its an excellent platformer thats a ton of fun to play. Interesting, dark story and characters, cool weapons and cool bosses round the list. Only issues I had are with the camera now and again but not a big deal. Im now a huge fan of the series and started playing the sequel and looking for merchandise.
  4. Jul 5, 2011
    I wish i still had a handle on this game anyway i have played it many times back in the day and i have to say the atmosphere in this game is psychedelically intense like a bad acid trip. Fun gameplay my only complaint is the story left out some important characters from what i remember the walrus and the carpenter, all in all i wish i still had this game on my shelf.
  5. AlexandriaH.
    Jul 23, 2001
    This game is one of the best games I have ever played. It is wonderful, it puts a perfect morbid twist on the original story, also it somewhat stays true to the book, I really liked that about it.
  6. AliakseiK.
    Jan 9, 2003
    AMAZING!!!!
  7. GameR.
    Apr 7, 2002
    Great characters! Graphics that rock! The game is adictive and chalanging but would be greatly improved if Alice had to explore the land more to discover whice direction to go. Always having your player on the correct path gets tedious.
  8. TrystenM.
    Jun 25, 2002
    Diabolically good voice acting, transmogrified toys as weapons, graphics that will temporarily seperate you from the real world. Music, made with the assitance of Chris Vrenna, good choice. Outstanding game, except for a few mishaps, like the card guards occasionaly running off a cliff without falling or the relooping of about one or two sound effects in the game. Nothing drastic, I think Diabolically good voice acting, transmogrified toys as weapons, graphics that will temporarily seperate you from the real world. Music, made with the assitance of Chris Vrenna, good choice. Outstanding game, except for a few mishaps, like the card guards occasionaly running off a cliff without falling or the relooping of about one or two sound effects in the game. Nothing drastic, I think maybe someone slipped crack into the designer's hash pipe at those times. Oh, and if you need to cheat to beat this game, just a little reminder that sunshine acid can greatly impede your ability to play. Lovely fun this game is. Expand
  9. DawidvanS.
    Jul 27, 2004
    The best game ever made. People who have a problem with this game go see a shrink it's the best game ever made even four years after release. Half Life sucked not Alice
  10. A'akieraM.
    Sep 25, 2004
    Alice is beautiful the girl I mean. The game couldve been more great if they were alot more levels. Her weapons are awesome. I love throwing the dice and killing the demons! :)
  11. WilliamH.
    Aug 24, 2008
    A great game with true replayability. What few gliches there are do not interfere with the game play, and the graphics are tremendous. I am particularly fond of the Duchess although beating her is not easy.
  12. AtlasShrugged
    Feb 22, 2009
    Some truly beautiful level design, an immersive atmosphere and a classic source make this a masterpiece too few have experienced. Though not without its flaws, its brilliance is overpowering.
  13. ChrissieM.
    Nov 5, 2001
    The game has a wonderful story and graphics...but it is almost impossible to get through it without cheating.
  14. grandym.
    Dec 17, 2007
    I sort of think that reveiwers are afraid to give this a good score, because to be honest, its a freakin great game. Even if you dont really like horrer things
  15. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "While you'll undoubtedly enjoy the imaginative artwork, you might end up disappointed with just how straightforward the underlying game really is."

Dunno who made that review but I certainly enjoyed every bit of the game. The music was awesome, the story just blowed me away, and the so-called "unbalanced" weapons adds to the thrill (i mean taking on your first set of boojums with a knife and a deck of cards and triumphantly defeating them...hell yeah they're pain in the ass and they deserve some "PUNISHMENT"...)

I recommend "REAL" gamers to play this game....(if you're a kid who grew up playing DMC or GOW and sees them as a standard of a great game, i suggest you step back a little from this title...)

If you just played the game just to see some flaws in it...maybe just maybe you've missed a whole lot of what it can offer.(clue: you might or not know about it but i think you can kill every boss in this game the "CHEAP" way--haven't tried the jabberwock yet--but holds true for the D*chess(thanks for a certain guys boss wthrough), Twe*dl* Bros, and even the badass final boss herself.....(i discovered that lol))
  16. Nov 22, 2012
    One of the best presented action games there is, Alice creates a dark and gritty world with beautiful level design and an intense gaming experience. It creates a lot of mood and every level feels different with the story picking up pace and the final confrontation looming on the horizon. Outstanding in its diversity of levels and well executed elements (design of weapons; variation inOne of the best presented action games there is, Alice creates a dark and gritty world with beautiful level design and an intense gaming experience. It creates a lot of mood and every level feels different with the story picking up pace and the final confrontation looming on the horizon. Outstanding in its diversity of levels and well executed elements (design of weapons; variation in enemies according to the respective level), this is a must-have title for actions fans (that also like some elements of horror) as it is really different from most competitors in the genre. Expand
  17. Mar 31, 2013
    Although by today's standards, this games graphics would be considered VERY dated, I remember playing this game as a child. It takes a classic children's story and warps it in such a way, that is both disturbing and interesting. The combat is still simple and easy to use, and there is a large variety in weapons. A feature that is often lacking in many of today's games. If you haven'tAlthough by today's standards, this games graphics would be considered VERY dated, I remember playing this game as a child. It takes a classic children's story and warps it in such a way, that is both disturbing and interesting. The combat is still simple and easy to use, and there is a large variety in weapons. A feature that is often lacking in many of today's games. If you haven't played American McGee's Alice, I highly suggest that you do. It is definitely a memorable and worthwhile game. Expand
  18. Jun 23, 2014
    I've gotten this game as an "add-on" in Alice: Madness Returns, as its original format is rare and expensive. First of all, Madness Returns is a better game than American McGee's Alice. I give Alice a 8/10 rating, for its nice graphics and storyline, but poor and hard gameplay.
  19. Jun 10, 2014
    Una vuelta de tuerca al libro de Alicia en el País de las Maravillas y A través del Espejo. A nivel narrativo muy interesante pero ha envejecido bastante mal, pero una buena referencia para narratología.

1. The action falls short of amazing because certain elements, such as the poor A.I., do not hold up their end of the bargain, but Alice is still a fascinating trip that is well worth the tumble down the rabbit hole.
  2. What really impressed me about Alice's visuals is the imaginativeness of the designers, and the highly thematic environments, which completely differ from one level to another and are brought to life with some crisp and detailed textures.
  3. The levels, the characters - everything about this game is beautiful. The levels are easily the prettiest and most creative I have ever seen, each one designed in its own unique style. You couldn't get a better result if you threw Tim Burton or Clive Barker into the mix.