Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs PC

5.8

1. Sep 11, 2013
    Just to be clear: if you're looking for a game that will literally scare you enough to stop playing, search elsewhere. This game is drastically different from the first Amnesia, in that it's less about frightening you, and more about storytelling. Which, in my opinion, is actually a positive experience; I was certainly creeped out at certain points in the game, and yes, even a littleJust to be clear: if you're looking for a game that will literally scare you enough to stop playing, search elsewhere. This game is drastically different from the first Amnesia, in that it's less about frightening you, and more about storytelling. Which, in my opinion, is actually a positive experience; I was certainly creeped out at certain points in the game, and yes, even a little scared, but I was never truly terrified of the enemy. Which, also, is not nearly as interesting (or scary) in appearance than the monstrous beings from the Dark Descent. So, in all, this game is more on par with Gone Home and Dear Esther than the original, which focused on pure horror. But for me, this time around it's something I enjoy in a game: great storytelling. 7/10 Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    This feels more like the first amnesia a lot of features are gone that was in dark decent these devs got lazy no more phys but chairs and doors pretty much., but better then nothing still sorta dissapointed game did go down hill.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game.As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game. The plot is heavy and not always easy to accept but if you play the first game you will get an idea why is it this way. Personally I found this game to be one of the best horror games. A fair amount of jumpscares, a fair amount of creepy content and a tension from the beginning and till the end. I must comment the sound, as it is the games bread and butter. I was terrified every time hearing a monster eating something behind the corner. And this narration is a gem of modern gaming.
    If this series will ever continue, I would play every game to come only because these two have taken a place in my heart. I recommend this game to every person that seeks a game, that tells you a story, rather than attacks from the corner to dismember you and makes you walk on human flesh.
    And to all those, who think this game is worse that the first one or even any game available today, play "Dear Esther" to understand the concept, not "Outlast". Amnesia has its scary parts, but it does not kill you every time you encounter an enemy. Good or bad, this is what the game is so don't get fooled by the glory of the first game. You will enjoy if you want to enjoy a story.
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs is not as good as I expected it to be. It has barely any interaction with objects, no potions, good jump scares or a good monster.In my opinion it was quite a downfall for the creators. Personally for me it just seemed like a mod, not a full game made by the same creators as Amnesia's the dark descend's. Again: the monsters were simply ridiculous and the storyAmnesia a machine for pigs is not as good as I expected it to be. It has barely any interaction with objects, no potions, good jump scares or a good monster.In my opinion it was quite a downfall for the creators. Personally for me it just seemed like a mod, not a full game made by the same creators as Amnesia's the dark descend's. Again: the monsters were simply ridiculous and the story didn't connect what so ever, the game cant even be called horror anymore, there wasn't even an inventory! The game was just bad. Expand
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    Do not purchase this game. It was a disappointment. First, you can't interact with anything in the game, want to grab that flower pot? Nope, this chair? NOPE, very little interaction.

Second, their is no more sanity mechanics, the dark does not do anything to you anymore, Lame lame LAME. The lantern you use is infinite in power, it must be nuclear or something The monsters in the

The monsters in the game are not scary, they remind me of a 5 year old's Halloween piglet costume. They also use the same EXACT items and décor as in amnesia dark descent, same chairs, same everything. Its a piss poor excuse of a new game.

Overall I was very disappointed. I'm sad I waited so long fur such a lame game
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in theirAmnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in their position once. Or maybe, it was because after taking a look at Dear Esther, they knew the Chinese room had something more to offer, something different. And that is exactly what they put on the table. Amnesia The dark descent was a game everyone will remember as the game where they their pants and screamed like a little girl." and you can't deny that you probably did too. The story for Dark Descent was interesting, especially near the end of the game. What I love about A machine for pigs is it was completely different than its predecessor. I was worried that I would be playing an amnesia game that was completely similar to the first because the fear factor just wouldn't be there and if it was, it would not be the same. What the Chinese room did was they brought forth what I believe to be the most important parts of the horror genre; the story and atmosphere. Voice acting, soundtrack, environmental design and plot were things that were improved upon by a great amount. If you were to ask me about horror movies I would respond by saying I am tired of the slashing, the blood and basically the GUTS of what make up scary movies today. I want a story that will be able to grasp me and pull me into the madness it creates deep down (with a few pretty darn crazy scares along the way too!) And that is why I enjoy this game so much. You have every part of a disturbing and very successful horror story tied together with plausible monster creations and thrilling scares. Expand
  7. Feb 2, 2014
    A lot of people told me that this game is no Amnesia anymore, and they were right. It's much better! This game fascinates me in so many different ways. Soundtrack, atmosphere and gameplay are just amazing and it had the most powerful story I've ever encountered! Everybody should give it a try and I promise that you'll have the time of your life.
  8. Nov 6, 2014
    Horrible game. Boring story, just walking around, not scary at all. Great graphics, but that is not the important part. I hoped that i was near the end when i played this game, so i runned through everything that is "scary*.

I was very disappointed.
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    If you're willing to accept the fact that not everything is the same as TDD, then this game will suck you right in and won't let go. Otherwise, you might be disappointed.
  10. Sep 10, 2013
    As a person who hasn't played much horror, I didn't know what to expect. The last few horror games I tried many years ago bored me before ever giving me a scare. I would say this game is fun just based on the story and atmosphere it sets it has scared me a few times in the first hour I've played. 1 of the scares got me really good. Now I must try Outlast.
  11. Sep 21, 2013
    I really was waiting more from this game. Really disappointed. Where is the sanity? Where is the oil? The only good point is the main history. The last game was much better.
  12. Sep 10, 2013
    One has to acknowledge that this game was produced by a different studio with only Frictional Games finishing the game off (tweaks, polish etc) so of course there is going to be a lot of differences. Just because it has the same name doesn't mean you have to then expect it to play exactly the same.

I like the new direction myself as I feel it is more realistic (No lantern in the world uses up all its oil in a space of a few minutes) and why should the dark make you go insane exactly (the noises and breathing are enough)? It just makes more sense to get rid of those game fillers and to concentrate more on the journey through this world without having to fumble about searching for some more oil because you are about to run out.

I've played for an hour and if you immerse yourself into this world you can have a lot of fun. Always curious about what is behind the next door, or through a secret passage. I will update as I go, but so far I think it is a solid game that has a lot of good qualities that certainly outweigh the negatives and therefore gets my recommendation! Must be played in the dark with a good pair of headphones!
  13. Sep 10, 2013
    As someone who played Amnesia: TDD, I cannot deny this is a bit of letdown for this series.
    However, atmosphere and sound effects are still strong points of this game. The eerie BGMs always give me the chill, and the dark environment adds up to that.
    Compare it to the predecessor, there are more puzzles instead of gathering them all in a single stage (The Mechanic room of course, I really enjoyed it) but most puzzles are no brainers. Just look around and find something that let the "hand" icon appears, you are good to go.
    Graphics are pretty much like ATDD. Yes it's not very satisfying, but if you are too strict with graphics, can't say you are playing the game for the thrill to the core. You want eye candy? Turn left to Outlast, you are welcome.
    The part that disappoints me the most is that they took away lantern oil and sanity meter. I was amazed by the concept of insanity when I played ATDD, it was brilliant and it played quite an important role, it affected the game play and you had to worry it all the time. Above that, the constant dread that I could not find enough lantern oil and tinderboxes was the part I enjoyed the game most. I had to look into every corner for light sources risking bump into our dear faithful guards of Alexander's. The fear for darkness fights against the fear for monsters, that was the balance I was desperately to maintain and that thrilled me to the deepest. Too bad Amnesia: AMFP set in the time of 1899, lantern oil and tinderboxes' existence is out of logic, but it is a great loss for the game. They took away these features and left hardcore fans almost devastated.
    Put aside all the cons away, AAMFP is still a first person survival horror game. I felt like I was in the story, I was Mandus and had to save my children for god's sake, and I was the one who built that goddamn machine and paying for the consequences. The story was refreshing for me and it might be boring for some. I don't care, the story was much stronger than ATDD, and i have to praise the writer for the good job.
    All in all, people who loved the Amnesia series for its special features might not enjoy this, but if you really love horror game for the way that let fear lingers in your heart, you will love this game.
  14. Sep 10, 2013
    This game isn't even near to amnesia the dark descent...but this is still an great example how to make a horror game. Atmosphere is creepy(of course) and story in this is quite great compared to the dark descent. Only one thing that annoys me is that a machine for pigs is missing a lot of little stuff that made dark descent one of the greatest horror games ever.
  15. LST
    Sep 11, 2013
    I get the feeling that if we were to lose the prefix 'Amnesia' in the title of this game I'd have been reading different reviews altogether. Understandably people were expecting something different (or should I say, 'more of the same') from a franchise that revolutionised the horror genre by landing the player defenceless in a heavily interactive and high-pressure environment.

Here,

Here, there is no oil. No wardrobes to hide in. No boxes to barricade doors...We're a long way away from the hostile darkness of Castle Brennenberg.

Instead we are born into the most grotesque horror story conceived (since Silent Hill 2...) jam-packed with imagery that is sure to linger in your mind... And that's a great achievement. I'd best describe the story as 'A darkly satirical science fiction obsessed with the Uncanny'. Play it. It's a strain of dread I've never before experienced in a horror game. It's what makes A Machine for Pigs unique. And terrifying.

People should acknowledge that 'Amnesia' was trying something different this time. It misses in areas where The Dark Descent scores. It scores where The Dark Descent misses. And it scores high.
  16. Sep 16, 2013
    The game is too short I completed it first time in 3 and 1/2 hours whilst exploring, so I was hardly rushing through. The game is not scary this is due to the removal of the insanity effects and the infinite lantern you now have. The game itself is actually rarely if at all in total darkness so you can see everything coming. There is basically one type of enemy the rest being pastedThe game is too short I completed it first time in 3 and 1/2 hours whilst exploring, so I was hardly rushing through. The game is not scary this is due to the removal of the insanity effects and the infinite lantern you now have. The game itself is actually rarely if at all in total darkness so you can see everything coming. There is basically one type of enemy the rest being pasted from the Dark Descent and they are not scary at all. In fact most of the enemy encounters are scripted and they cannot kill you, making the enemies almost trivial. There is only a few sections were the enemies roam about and you know when they are coming because they always occur in large rooms were the enemies can move about. If you are in a linear corridor you know you are safe. The puzzles are basically non-existent, mainly because you can barely interact with any items which makes the locating of "puzzle" items extremely easy in fact to call them puzzles is an over-exaggeration, they are mostly lift item x and place in slot y.

Basically the gameplay is non-existent. You walk through linear corridors, see an enemy jump out and go boo and that is it. It's basically walk from the start of the game to the end. The pros of this game are the soundtrack, voice acting and the story.

So for a horror game, it is a bit of a joke and it was hugely disappointing for me.
  17. Sep 11, 2013
    I'm one of the few who didn't care for the first Amnesia. I played it all the way through but didn't find it scary, creepy, or fun. I just felt empty at the end. This second Amnesia for me is an improvement. It was creepy and fun. Especially the first two hours. It had a really good story build up and flow. I wish it stayed like that the whole way through, but the second half of theI'm one of the few who didn't care for the first Amnesia. I played it all the way through but didn't find it scary, creepy, or fun. I just felt empty at the end. This second Amnesia for me is an improvement. It was creepy and fun. Especially the first two hours. It had a really good story build up and flow. I wish it stayed like that the whole way through, but the second half of the game really began to get bogged down by endless puzzles that just felt like a nuisance. The game really seemed to drag on near the end. Overall, though, I felt it was a decent horror game and it made me get goosebumps, so it succeeded on the creepy factor. The voice acting was well done and the atmosphere was good. The graphics were also pretty good. I liked how the game was more linear this time around. There is still a good amount of exploring to do. Try it out if you are a horror fan or in the mood for a dark tale. Expand
  18. Sep 14, 2013
    If you liked the first Amnesia and that is also the reason you bought this game. Then you are in for a weird treat. Because "Amnesia: A machine for pigs" is not like "Amnesia: The Dark Descent".

I experienced this game a lot more different than The Dark Descent. The things that made The dark descent amazing are removed from this game but instead they put in some other great things but to be fair it was not what everyone was waiting for. AAMFP shows a great storytelling and you are completely immersed in the game. In fact, the game is completely based on its storytelling.

At first I was a little bit afraid of the the game because i didn't know what to expect. But further on in the game. it was more excitement I felt instead of fear. It was weird to experience. I also thought the game was a bit short.

Based on the game play, I was a bit disappointed that was because the game was very easy. The enemy A.I was very easy to outrun and there weren't allot puzzles as far as I can tell. And if they actually were puzzles and that puzzles sucked. They also removed the inventory system in the game not that that was very important in the game but I missed the feeling that you didn't have much oil left and you would be very nervous for it to run out and would look for more. I also missed the sanity meter. I didn't (always) feel like my character was terrified. But because of the storytelling i still felt bonded with the character. Also there were some little things that made games from frictional games original was that you can pick up any object. in this game it is limited to some key objects.

I gave this game an 8 because it still is amazing but on the other hand they really had to work on the game play because of its difficulty and a few other things like the inventory. So for short, the story is amazing. but the game play ruins the game for what i actually could have become
  19. Sep 15, 2013
    I found the original Amnesia to have great ideas but to fall flat on its ass with how gamey the inventory and the meters made it feel. Only every now and then were you able to forget its actually a game.

This time around they concentrated on what made Amnesia great. (If you can honestly say playing around with your inventory was what made it good then... I don't know... Diablo or Path of Exile might be more your cup of tea )

Good:
    - Atmosphere
    - Story
    - The horror element Until...

Bad:
    Once they reveal too much of the pig-men. Once you've seen them a bunch they really lose their effectiveness. This is not a monster design flaw IMO. The same thing happens with all monsters once you get a good long look at them. It is a pacing story telling flaw. This is were almost all horror games & movies for that matter fall flat on their arse.
  20. Sep 15, 2013
    After playing AMFP, I was surprised with the negative reviews of the game. Having just finished Outlast which was certainly very scary, AMFP had something else that was more powerful to me: dread.

The jumpy scares were greatly reduced to only a few instances in the game, but the effect was that you never knew what was going to happen. With Outlast, and Amensia: The Dark Descent, I become almost desensitized to the scares because they were so frequent.

In a lot of ways I felt the game was actually very similar to The Dark Descent. They simplified the torch and lantern system without sacrificing the fear element, and in many situations you couldn't slip into the darkness to see everything around you like The Dark Descent. Beyond that though many of the elements and puzzles were similar.

I felt unsettled and uncomfortable the whole time while playing AMFP, which was great. Coupled with the creepy late 1800's atmosphere of scientific discovery, and this was a game I greatly enjoyed. Play time for me was about 12 hours, similar to The Dark Descent.
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    This game definitely knows how to build tension. Music, lighting, atmosphere everything works together perfectly. Due lack of free time i played this hour yesterday and hour just now, and both times it left me with disturbed mind and sick aftertaste.
  22. Sep 11, 2013
    Pretty good and slow paced psychological horror with excellent sound & atmosphere, the mechanics are totally different compared to previous Amnesia titles as this is a mainly story & atmosphere driven horror adventure, if you enjoy atmosphere, great sound and good & intelligently written stories dive in, for shock & gore scare fests there are other titles that do better.
  23. Sep 12, 2013
    Amnesia A machine for pigs is a whole new experience compare to its previous version. it is not always fair to criticize a game in according to what the overall product used to be. Amnesia AMFP does take out somethings and does bring some new things in in comparison to its previous title but reviewing a game is not always about comparing, it is about its current state in the market as wellAmnesia A machine for pigs is a whole new experience compare to its previous version. it is not always fair to criticize a game in according to what the overall product used to be. Amnesia AMFP does take out somethings and does bring some new things in in comparison to its previous title but reviewing a game is not always about comparing, it is about its current state in the market as well and how developers have crafted the game.
    In terms of story I should say AMFP has nothing less than the the dark descent. The story is wonderfully written, undoubtedly it is not cliche like outlast, as you progress into the world of the game in search for your lost daughters you will come across record pieces which will tell you what has happened before the game starts and as well beautifully story presents itself through the game instead of taking place into the boring cut scenes and it tells its story visually as well which is an interesting and praising point for an indie title. I will not spoil the story further but i should say the concept of the story and its metaphor and references are quiet interesting if you have the enough knowledge.
    Amnesia has never been entirely based upon sudden fears, its about the tension in the environment and atmosphere. Remember how we used to be scared all the time while we were playing Silent hill 1,2,3 which did not have any particular sudden fears? Amensia AMFP delivers the same mechanism through its awesome sound effects, very well done soundtracks and the creepy crafted environment which takes place in London. I think choosing the setting as London has good preferences built into it in order to present the story. The gamed does terrifies you, it is divided through the different sections throughout the 6-8 hour of game play and each section delivers a different kind of fear in them. Although I should mention some of the mechanisms have been dated in terms of predictability specially for those who have played the previous title. But still I do like how the game forces people to imagine the monsters rather than facing and killing them.
    Gameplay takes in varied environments through out the game and it does have interesting stuff to be seen and to be faced with. Puzzle parts are fairly remained same but I like how it is more advanced and scripted (technically and story) in comparison to other titles like Outlast. Some of the elements of previous game are removed which does not make much difference, only the sanity meter has affected the gameplay much. I imagine how it could be with sanity meter of course could make the gameplay and the action much more engaging and exciting.
    Finally in terms of graphics, the game has fairly remained same, but as the matter of fact the art direction is much better than it used to be. I like the concept art works built into game and I really enjoyed how much detail is crafted in the game world in various sections. It has made the areas much more believable and real to me.
    In the end, i Do understand some of the fans (Even myself) might find the changes in this game to be weird or not interesting but overall I really enjoyed the game because in the current market we do not see many horror games with a non cliche story and a heavy atmosphere.
    I am pretty sure the developers will take the feedback into the next game and will combine what has been presented in both titles in terms of gameplay mechanism and other stuff so as considering it is an indie title, i should say overall it is a very awesome product
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    Slooooooooooow motion... Too much of it is used, wearing out my middle finger, but I have to continue, holding down w forever to walk down the corridors of this boring waste of money... Piggies... So scary... Not.
  25. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is still a good story but they dilluted everything that make the first my best horror game. It is only exploration you dont need oil or matches, and you dont get crazy, well i give it a 7 because it is a good exploration and the dreed atmasphere and story and soundtrack is good. They should'nt call it amnesia Expand
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    Well, I've just completed the game and I have to say some of these negative comments are a little extreme. People giving it anything under 5/10 are just butt hurt because It's not a carbon copy of The Dark Descent. Which I completely understand since it was such a special game although I'm trying to write a fair review about a game.

If you can forget about it's predecessor and just

If you can forget about it's predecessor and just enjoy the story and the emotions that come with the story, It's a good game. Had The Dark Descent never been made, I'm sure this game would have much higher ratings but of course we are going to compare, and so we should. It is after all an indirect sequel to The Dark Descent and bears the name Amnesia.

Unfortunately this is where A Machine for Pigs really let me down. Everything that earned TDD such a special place in my heart has been removed;

Challenging puzzles
    -In TDD some of the puzzles were challenging and required you to read the notes to look for clues, I still got stuck on a couple of them and had to look at a walkthrough.

-In AMFP, Well all I can say is, above every puzzle there should just be a big sign saying "MOVE THIS YOU DUMB F**K!"

The sanity meter
    -In TDD it really added something different, it served as a constant reminder of what a horrific situation you find yourself in, you look at the monsters and the sheer fear almost makes you lose consciousness. and I miss my pounding headache!

In AMFP the whole thing has gone.

The inventory,
    -In TDD it added to the puzzles and made you feel like you were getting somewhere, combining items just felt great, like Daniel had achieved something and was making progress. I was so happy to see I had 20x tinderboxes and a bunch of oil and laudanum in my inventory, I felt like I was ready for the darkest, scariest room I could imagine.

In AMFP again, It's all gone.

The optional lighting management.
    - In TDD lighting was a big game play factor, should I light this candle? maybe I should save my tinderboxes I don't know what's coming up next, I better not use my lantern, I'm desperately low on oil, I hate this dark place but I have no choice! :'(

-In AMFP once again, there is little choice of lighting, there are a few electric lights on desks you can turn on and off which have no impact on the game play. Other than that you have your lantern which I guess is battery powered, but it has infinite life.

Monsters that were truly horrifying.
    - In TDD well, no explanation needed, some of the scariest looking killers I had ever seen in a video game.
    -In AMFP they weren't very intimidating, I mean to look at. To be absolutely honest I had a little chuckle when the first one appeared and I watched It's animation.

Some of you might not like that I compared A Machine for Pigs with The Dark Descent, but I did. The reason I did is because A Machine for Pigs is riding on the back of the success of The Dark Descent so comparisons should absolutely be expected. Not that I wanted or expected another TDD, but the things I mentioned above are what I feel played a vital role in TDD's success. It's not a bad game though like some people are saying. I did enjoy the atmospheric maps, the story and above all the sound design. The sound design and music were absolutely awesome.

I don't regret buying or playing the game, I felt I got my moneys worth out of it and I think I can certainly see where they were trying to go with this and I hope Frictional Games and The Chinese Room continue to make new games.
  27. Sep 12, 2013
    The sequel of the original Dark Descent is definitely not scary. You won't be afraid of opening a door and you'll never be forced to run away trying to hide. The gameplay is far from the mix of exploration and puzzle-solving of the prequel, leaving the player following a scripted and linear path. On the other side, The Chinese Room has created one of the best plot ever seen in the lastThe sequel of the original Dark Descent is definitely not scary. You won't be afraid of opening a door and you'll never be forced to run away trying to hide. The gameplay is far from the mix of exploration and puzzle-solving of the prequel, leaving the player following a scripted and linear path. On the other side, The Chinese Room has created one of the best plot ever seen in the last years, together with marvellous and "breathing" environments. The narration of "A Machine For Pigs" is, by itself, a good reason for buying this game Expand
  28. Sep 14, 2013
    Set in a slightly steampunk-esque 1899 London, A Machine for Pigs pits the player as Oswald Mandus, a meat factory owner and inventor of reputable skill, as he wakes up suffering from memory loss and trying to find his missing children as he travels down into the depths of an enormous machine. Like the first Amnesia the player must avoid grotesque abominations as they travel through a darkSet in a slightly steampunk-esque 1899 London, A Machine for Pigs pits the player as Oswald Mandus, a meat factory owner and inventor of reputable skill, as he wakes up suffering from memory loss and trying to find his missing children as he travels down into the depths of an enormous machine. Like the first Amnesia the player must avoid grotesque abominations as they travel through a dark chilling environment and occasionally must solve a puzzle, usually fairly simple like putting an object somewhere.

But what many Amnesia fans might be disappointed to see is that The Chinese Room has taken their beloved monster-terror-meaty franchise and fried it up in a new, more literary fashion. Inventory, resource management, health status, and sanity status have all been removed, as well as a lot of environment interactivity, stripping the game to a pure essence. What many might overlook in their descent to the fetid bowels of this insidious machine, however, is the stunningly written horror story within. It deals with lofty subjects in spades, ranging from love and contempt, to idealism and defeatism, and more. Much of the story though is told vaguely through recalled dialogue and journal excerpts and must be pieced together by the player, which may simply not happen when one is busy focusing too much on the scare and monsters.

Or lack thereof.

One the biggest blows to the game, and indeed what seems to be garnering it many unjustly low reviews, are the often seen yet rarely thrown-at-you monsters. The Dark Descent was well known for its ruthless baddies that chase and stalk you through dark corridors and rooms, but this oft beloved scare tactic simply isn't there in A Machine for Pigs. There are a few moments where the player is required to avoid patrolling pigmen, but often it proves quick and surprisingly easy. Granted, although any actual danger in the game is relatively low the terror and tension are still there if you slow down and allow yourself to be immersed in the game's superb modeling, texturing, lighting, and audio work. Moody dread might be better to describe the game's atmosphere, rather than hostilely suffocating.

Nevertheless, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Scariness and danger threats are not metrics to which the horror genre is held to. I for one am glad that this game was kept from the slippery slopes of stealth-horror and gather-while-chased that seems to be dominating horror games these days, especially if such mechanics might lead to a frustratingly difficult journey that could very well distract from what was being told.

Sadly some might not consider literary horror compelling enough to carry gameplay, and indeed resource management and brutal monster chases seem to be what's delivering the desired scariness level currently. Those who are interested in a deep, compelling horror story delivered with a dark, moody atmosphere are in for a real treat, but those looking for threatening monster chases and jump scares will be sorely disappointed. Since many Amnesia fans will likely be expecting the latter, this game might sadly be destined as mere pearls before swine.

8/10 Masterful horror storytelling with impressively crafted atmosphere. Actual game mechanics and enemy usage could have been better to keep up with its highly praised predecessor. A little short for it's cost and production time, but it still delivers while avoiding repetition.
  29. Sep 11, 2013
    I hardly understand the bad critics on that game. I personally loved the game, one of the best 20$ I spend on a game.

I think you will love the game if you like the genre. That new episode is not as scary as dark descend or the outcast, but he have much and much better story telling, it target Cleary an adult audience. Finally to give you a good example about what kind of bad review

Finally to give you a good example about what kind of bad review the game received..
    "Very short, you have to read to understand the story, invisible archenemy, stupid monsters..."

I really like the part "you have to read to understand the story". OK so if you don't want to read, this game is not for you. You probably better suited playing COD
  30. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a masterpiece. A masterpiece of storytelling, a masterpiece of atmosphere, and a masterpiece of thematic depth and cohesion.

What it is not, though, is a masterpiece of game design, simply because it's not a "game." No mechanical skill or special mental acuity are required to succeed. There are no choices to be made that affect the story or its conclusion. This is very much a spiritual successor to Dear Esther (it was designed by the same studio), with only superficial similarities to Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

At its core, The Dark Descent was an old school adventure game, something which I actually didn't like about it. It was incredibly atmospheric, scary, and downright disturbing, but to me the puzzles served as a frequently annoying distraction from exploring the grim and compelling world laid before me.

A Machine for Pigs almost entirely forgoes these game elements and transitions completely to the interactive fiction genre. And what a work of interactive fiction it is. Dear Esther was an extraordinarily well-crafted and moving experience, but AMfP improves on it in every way. The writing is masterful, weaving together themes of guilt, original sin, the duality of man, religion, and socio-political philosophy. The visuals are superb and nearly flawless, although I did find myself frustrated by the lack of reflecting mirrors and more naturalistic fog effects. Minor complaints to be sure, but ever so slightly immersion-breaking nonetheless.

I must also shower composer Jessica Curry with the highest praise. Her work in Dear Esther was breathtaking and here we find her again practicing at the pinnacle of her art. Music is absolutely integral to the success of AMfP. Not only does Curry manage to underscore the emotional significance of each section perfectly, but every cue is also a brilliantly original composition in its own right. Search out Mors Praematura online to hear exactly what I'm talking about. At the risk of sounding overly effusive I'd have to say that this is soundtrack of the year (or decade!) material.

In closing, I think Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a spectacular creative achievement and deserves to be experienced by almost everyone. Yes, it is unusual and is most definitely not a game, nor is it anything like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. As long as you are aware of these facts going in and are able to re-calibrate your expectations early on I guarantee that you're in for a deep, thought-provoking and one of a kind experience.
  31. Sep 11, 2013
    i can easily say, that this is one of the best experiences in gaming, i was sneaking around inside a factory, and i thought the beast was far away, until i see it walking towards me, i desperatly try to hide but when i turn around i see it has caught my scent. at this moment i am running away, and im hearing loud pig-squeels behind me, and just as im about to give up, i notice a smalli can easily say, that this is one of the best experiences in gaming, i was sneaking around inside a factory, and i thought the beast was far away, until i see it walking towards me, i desperatly try to hide but when i turn around i see it has caught my scent. at this moment i am running away, and im hearing loud pig-squeels behind me, and just as im about to give up, i notice a small hatch which i can jump through. and i did, and just as i started breathing again, i can see that the pig-monster has already followed me down, so i start to run! as i panic and run through darkness i cant even see if its a dead end im heading towards, or if another monster decided to chase me aswell, then i see a dor so i open the door, and i see the monster running towards me, i can barely move from the fear im experiencing but i managed to slam the door in its face, quickly barricading the door with whatever i can find, after a while, i hear the squeals sounds further and further away, and i then realized that im safe... FOR NOW. i´d easily give this game a 10/10, for the atmospherical environments and the rewarding feeling when you have managed to survive an encounter, if you haven´t played this game alredy, then play it now! PROS: great scary atmosphere, thrilling environment, dark, immersive and deep storyline and a great ton of fun experience. CONS: minor bugs, simplified game mechanics, and as i´ve noticed they seem to have removed the insanity system which im really dissappointed about. SUMMARY: the cons are so easy to look around when you notice what a great experience frictional/chinese has made for you, one of the best horror games i have ever played (i did play the original amnesia). Expand
  32. Sno
    Sep 10, 2013
    Although several things have been changed from the original amnesia, this title is certainly deserving of the amnesia trademark. I was scared just as much, if not more, in this game than the original, which the original failed to do for me on my second playthrough. Frictional made a fantastic decision allowing thechineseroom to develop this game.
  33. Sep 10, 2013
    A nice game! Haven't finish it off but the game is cool! I dont know why people are saying, it's bad blabla, idk, maybe it will be bad later? 9-10 I like it!
  34. Sep 10, 2013
    I think Amnesia A Machine For Pigs is very good sequel for the Amnesia The Dark Descent, but it isn't as great as Dark Descent. A Machine For Pigs is still really scary but not as scary as Dark Descent, why? Because they did remove loads of things from it. There's no sanity(almost at all) and the lantern has infinite oil which makes it less scarier. Another thing missing is inventory soI think Amnesia A Machine For Pigs is very good sequel for the Amnesia The Dark Descent, but it isn't as great as Dark Descent. A Machine For Pigs is still really scary but not as scary as Dark Descent, why? Because they did remove loads of things from it. There's no sanity(almost at all) and the lantern has infinite oil which makes it less scarier. Another thing missing is inventory so you cant pick up anything to your inventory, if you need to take something you need to carry it around which is good, I think it makes the game bit scarier. The story telling is pretty good and maybe better than in Dark Descent, but I'm missing that when character reads you everything in his diary pages. Expand
  35. Sep 11, 2013
    I really don't understan why people are downrating this game, it's very well done, it takes the in depth environment of dear esther and the scares of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and makes a brilliant game
  36. Sep 12, 2013
    And finally, here she is, the spiritual successor to the mighty Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the horror survival that over half of its own fans did not even complete. So, along comes A Machine For Pigs, and what mighty big boots it has to fill. Honestly, how does one go about topping the game that may have single handedly saved the survival horror genre, as well as boosted independentAnd finally, here she is, the spiritual successor to the mighty Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the horror survival that over half of its own fans did not even complete. So, along comes A Machine For Pigs, and what mighty big boots it has to fill. Honestly, how does one go about topping the game that may have single handedly saved the survival horror genre, as well as boosted independent gaming, saved Frictional Games from going under, got many of us to download the PC revolution that is Steam, all while quite possibly being the scariest game of all time? Well I suppose one way to go about this is too simple just not top it, which almost seems to be what A Machine For Pigs has intentionally done here. I am sorry folks who were squealing to get their hooves into this one, but this successor admits defeat from its predecessor from the word "go". But is it bad? Is it worth the bacon? Could it still send us screaming "wee wee wee" all the way home, and under our beds? Well The Dark Descent raised the bar so high, that anything capable of biting at its heels is still going to be pretty terrifying, and that is where "Pigs" shines. Yes, it is a great survival horror experience, and should be played, and can be enjoyed by anyone who is open minded enough to accept it for what it is. In many ways, this game feels like it should have been the first Amnesia, and Dark Descent should have been its bigger sequel. "Pigs" feels almost like a really big piece of DLC more than a sequel, as it is far shorter, has had no graphic enhancements, features the exact same mechanics, and is far less interactive. It is simplified to the point of disappointment, and no longer will you scrounge in the dark for answers to puzzles, and what few "puzzles" there are, are solved mere feet away from the solution with no thought. No longer do you need to open drawers or explore, unless you are hunting documents to look further into the back story, and no longer do you need to search for tinderboxes as light does nothing for you this time around. In fact light is more harmful in this one as it attracts enemies. You are given a lantern this time that does not feed off of oil, which is a huge departure from Dark Descents signature terror. You are free to run and skip about with that lantern on all the night long if you wish, but not without a price. My disappointment of this feature became a gleeful burden in the games latter half when I realized the dang thing was going to get me killed, and much of my journey became lurking in the dark, as I barely even saw my lantern in the final chapters. The biggest departure and most shocking decision in the entire game, is as follows, there is no sanity meter. Developers The Chinese Room under publishing of Frictional Games has done away with the original Amnesia's sanity meter, which was the games identity in many ways. It was what separated the scares in other games from itself, and having complete both games, I am still not sure if this was a good decision or not. Luckily this did not take away from my fear when I found myself face to face with the creatures that were more pleased to see me dead than alive. Though, without insanity bringing me down, escape was not difficult. In fact it was easy. Little did I know at the time, but getting away was not hard, and never did I need to block doors, or climb into a chifferobe, for usually ducking behind something, or even standing in a dark corner often worked. I hate to say it, but I did not die one single time in my playthrough, something I cannot say about the original. My only other gripe with this journey is the overuse of journal entrees, none which are narrated. It is not that I mind reading, but you will be constantly pulled out of the terror to read the thoughts of our protagonist Mandus, and I do mean constantly. So, why give an oink about this game? Because it is a damn good time, and is damn frightening, peppered with intriguing story telling to boot. Sure the light is eternal, but brings forth the enemy, sure the sanity meter is gone, but the "machine" aspect of the game is startling to the audio enough and will pierce the ear drum probably twice as much as the original sanity meter. The story is enough to pull you through, but it fumbles in its third act and becomes bloated, but overall gets the job done, at least as much as expected. "Pigs" is worth playing, if you are a horror junkie, it is a must. It was never intended to out due Dark Descent, so take it for what it is, be open minded, and enjoy the talent behind it. It is dark, mean, scary, and what the gaming community needs more of, and if not for the original's standards there would be nothing disappointing. If Dark Descent was a great horror novel, then A Machine For Pigs is a great camp fire story, not as grand nor bold, but fun and worth its weight in memories. So, If you wanted more punishment after your dark descent into insanity, hop aboard this machine, its a damn good swine, mhm, time. Expand
  37. Sep 11, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I couldn't help myself from playing this game. At first glance I had been a little worried about the changes The Chinese Room had to include, but I had expected it. After finishing the game I can certainly say its a very different experience compared to The Dark Descent. Although there are some things I had missed from The Dark Descent, ABeing a huge fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I couldn't help myself from playing this game. At first glance I had been a little worried about the changes The Chinese Room had to include, but I had expected it. After finishing the game I can certainly say its a very different experience compared to The Dark Descent. Although there are some things I had missed from The Dark Descent, A Machine for Pigs had some things new to throw on the table that weren't quite there in the first game.

A Machine for Pigs offers a lot less jump scares and instead, has an incredibly chilling environment. Through reading notes and exploring the machine, players can sink deeper into the atmosphere of the game. In my opinion, I feel that this wasn't as well done in the first game and I am glad The Chinese Room could improve on it.

I read through other reviews and I see people complaining about no inventory system, or no health bar. I believe this argument is folly, considering these things had little to offer in the first game. A person would use their inventory to either use an item or drink a potion, both of which took about 5-10 seconds. As for the health bar, there is no use in having one. Each enemy encounter is spread out and you are guaranteed to go down in about 2 hits.

Even though I felt less moments of terror and fear as The Dark Descent, I felt much more disturbed or uncomfortable. Although Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is much less 'shock and terror' it brings about fantastic writing and design to make the game horrifying in a much different way. This may rub some people the wrong way as they may not have expected these changes, which I understand may be why this game is getting so much flak. A Machine for Pigs is a must play for anyone who can appreciate good design and good horror.
  38. Sep 10, 2013
    Okay, first off. All the bad reviews.....everyone, click the users names. It's their only review, 80% of the time. Outlast fan boys or stupid kids who play cod all day. Second, is it better than the original? Well thats up to you. I personally thought, while it was scary, and had great atmosphere and beautiful textures and designs it wasn't as scary as the original. BUT. it is still asOkay, first off. All the bad reviews.....everyone, click the users names. It's their only review, 80% of the time. Outlast fan boys or stupid kids who play cod all day. Second, is it better than the original? Well thats up to you. I personally thought, while it was scary, and had great atmosphere and beautiful textures and designs it wasn't as scary as the original. BUT. it is still as great horror game. Better than Outlast, Better than Penumbra. It's laughable to see all the bad reviews...and then figure out, that it's probably the same little freak, making new accounts and reviewing the game over and over and over again. Stop it little children. This is a great horror title, and don't let anyone tell you other wise. I recommend you pick up The original first, it's better and the same price. But give this one a try to, great game. Expand
  39. Sep 14, 2013
    The curtain closes and I'm left staring at the credits pondering the splendid story I've just been told both by voice and by pen. The writing through notes scattered about the environment is unbelievably magnificent. The musical score is also noteworthy and like it's predecessor the atmosphere is thick, rich and well maintained throughout.

I'm not going to compare Amnesia: A Machine for

I'm not going to compare Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs with Amnesia: The Dark Descent as is the rage on the Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Steam forums and most likely on any gaming forum that your browser may come upon. Simply put, just because two siblings share the same surname does not mandate that the youngest emulate or follow in the footsteps of the elder Both siblings can be great in their own way. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs deserves to stand on it's own and bask in it's own brilliance and magnificence.
  40. Nov 2, 2013
    A technical failure for me. With all the supposed fixes out there nothing helped with my stuttering and freeze's. I pushed through all that to see what this game is like. All of the game-play that made Dark Descent is stripped away. There is no sanity meter, tinderboxes for candles, limited oil for lantern, and no inventory. It is mostly just a linear walk in the park type game. Thank godA technical failure for me. With all the supposed fixes out there nothing helped with my stuttering and freeze's. I pushed through all that to see what this game is like. All of the game-play that made Dark Descent is stripped away. There is no sanity meter, tinderboxes for candles, limited oil for lantern, and no inventory. It is mostly just a linear walk in the park type game. Thank god I got the torrent of this game first. Otherwise, I would have been pissed about the money I spent. Expand
  41. Nov 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

First off players need to set their expectations. This is more of a physiological thriller and dark mystery with tons of symbolism and history rolled up into it. It's not going to give you the sense of terror and helplessness that the Dark Descent gave you, but it's still a fantastic game, and extremely well thought out. The atmosphere and soundtrack are stunning, and the dreadful, melancholy sense of "wtf are these people doing?" prevails throughout the game.

Yes the monsters are easy and so are the puzzles, but the story here was so good I personally appreciated that as I did not want to waste time and wanted to advance the story line. Speaking of which it has a few twists and turns along the way which was a welcome surprise.

I think the problem alot of the negative reviews are having is they had a different expectation of the game, as if it were to be the Dark Descent part 2. This game reminds me alot of when the movie Sixth Sense came out, then was followed up by another brilliant movie Unbreakable. Two completely different movies but some fans wanted to see another Sixth Sense. Vanilla and chocolate, both great flavors and we can enjoy both.

Finally if you were a fan of Dear Esther, you will absolutely love this game. What I liked about this and Dear Esther were the emotional responses they drew, and the physiological metaphors embedded throughout the story.

Not sure how many caught it but that subliminal pig head that barely flashed on the screen for a second, as you went into one of the lifts, was freakin awesome.

I hope that Frictional continues with the Amnesia franchise, as these games have to be some of the most well-written ever. A Machine for Pigs is a solid contribution to the series.
  42. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is not what i was expecting. It so predictable and not so scary, even the puzzles are easy and the game helps the player through them. But its not all bad. Its not an "Amnesia" game, its a totally different one but still enjoyable. The atmosphere its better and improved, soundtrack the best i ever heard and the graphics also improved despite some minor insignificant bugs but whatThis game is not what i was expecting. It so predictable and not so scary, even the puzzles are easy and the game helps the player through them. But its not all bad. Its not an "Amnesia" game, its a totally different one but still enjoyable. The atmosphere its better and improved, soundtrack the best i ever heard and the graphics also improved despite some minor insignificant bugs but what i really like is the story which i say Congratulations to The Chinese Room for possibly the best story ever in a video game, even had a few scares. So for all the people who say this game is i strongly advise to play it again and absorb its story and its atmosphere and then we will talk. Expand
  43. Xon
    Sep 16, 2013
    The game is good, but since it is an Amnesia sequel many would feel disappointed because it is almost entirely a different genre of game. But the atmosphere is brilliant, the world painstakingly detailed and the sounds realistic and eery.
  44. Sep 13, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is really different experience, comparing to the original. However, changing in gameplay, style and storytelling did what they had to now this game is an awesome expansion to the Amnesia universe with mad and horror story, excellent music and perfect design.
  45. HD3
    Oct 4, 2013
    The game play is significantly simplified over the Dark Descent which will put some people off but it's every bit as scary and horrific as the original. The narrative is much stronger and well written and the environments are beautifully detailed. Cast performances are universally fantastic. Would recommend.
  46. Sep 16, 2013
    Not scare. Have no any horror. But storyline completely crazy and has some interesting ideas, many blood and use to show us a essence what rule this unperfect world. In time of sterile censored games with pink blood and unnatural soft and too simple lexicon it very...not bad, yeah. If you love psychedelic atmosphere, your favorite film is "The silence of the lambs" and your think thatNot scare. Have no any horror. But storyline completely crazy and has some interesting ideas, many blood and use to show us a essence what rule this unperfect world. In time of sterile censored games with pink blood and unnatural soft and too simple lexicon it very...not bad, yeah. If you love psychedelic atmosphere, your favorite film is "The silence of the lambs" and your think that Hannibal the most charismatic character for ever, i think you like this game. Expand
  47. Sep 11, 2013
    loved the story pacing and acting, took me a while to get into the game but once i did i couldn't stop playing. if you are getting this just for scary bits then you will probably be disappointed but if you play a game for story and atmosphere you will love it
  48. Sep 14, 2013
    Not such a disaster that many are complaining BUT it is true that many good old features were replaced with nothing and that the game is pretty linear.
    But still this game is pretty average indie-horror game although not nearly as good as Dark descent.. We also have to remember that this game was not from the original amnesia developers.
  49. Sep 13, 2013
    Hell to the naysayers, this game is amazing. Its true potential may be hidden by a false face of bland maps, linear and easy puzzles and an absence of scares, but don't let that fool you!

When you fully understand the power of the chairs (more specifically stools), you will come to the understanding that this game is a deep social commentary with so much depth and multifaceted intricacy that to even begin to comprehend it could result in your death. The grand ascension of chairs is the life of this game.

So, grab yourself a stool, lie it down and jump on top. Prepare to harness the power of the chair! Speed through halls like a winged hyena and don't stop at the constraints of the map blitz through bars, walls and even the ground! ENTER THE CHAIR REALM and the vicious emptiness that is skybox-glitch! All hail stool! All hail stool!

It's all part of a machine; a machine for chairs.

Tl;dr: this game kicks arse, 10/10 best chair simulator ever.
  50. Oct 20, 2013
    A cerebral and spooky sequel that expands on the franchise’s story and themes, while slightly dialing down the terror. This is a good, and well made horror game, whats with all the criticism. I would recommend, you buy this if you are a horror game fan.
  51. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell another moody and atmospheric story about terror, tremors, and horrors of the factorial industrial period.

Graphics: When it gets dark, pull out your lantern, because otherwise there is nothing much to be seen. When the lantern comes out however, it gets beautifully dark as can be.

Sound: Between the rip roaring of machinery and the screaming and howling of monsters, you'll have your hands full with disseminating and distinguishing between what can hurt you and what can't. It's all terrifying however, and quite unexpected.

Playability: Choosing between using a keyboard or a controller makes this experience easier on more players, but I would definitely prefer the classic layout of the original, and played through with that choice set-up.

Entertainment: A truly scary and thought-provoking experience, as the first was. Not necessarily a step up, but not a giant step down either.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.25
  52. Sep 20, 2013
    I loved Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

it was probably the first commercially succesful "survival-horror" game and it instantly became the benchmark for the genre... it's mechanics were great and very innovative, hiding in closets, a constant search for matches and lamp-oil and above all, keeping an eye on your "sanity metre", which became too high whenever you were in the dark for too
    I loved Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

it's mechanics were great and very innovative, hiding in closets, a constant search for matches and lamp-oil and above all, keeping an eye on your "sanity metre", which became too high whenever you were in the dark for too long all these were simply GREAT! innovative (for the most) and refreshingly different from everything we've had seen to that point.

to make a long story short: "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" is a fantastic game, it's innovative gameplay-mechanics were simply wonderful and the game was full of suspense, thrills, a reasonable amount of jump-scares.
    an almost perfect game, a truely perfect survival-horror game!

so, when I heard about the sequel and saw the trailer to "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs", I was looking forward to it.

all those great gameplay-mechanics I've mentioned above GONE!

"Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" LACKS_EVERYTHING_THAT_MADE_THE_FIRST_GAME_SO_GREAT!

the story is decent, sure, but that is in no way, shape or form enough to make a halway decent game.
    apart from the well-written story, "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" is just boring.
    the athmosphere is quite tense, but the comical "monsters" do not look threatening or scary at all. you can outrun them easily, so there wouldn't even be the need to hide in a closet... unfortunately.

the developers "The Chinese Room" have proven once again (and hopefully for all and ever!) that an interesting story is NOT ENOUGH to make a good game!
    I wanted to like this game, I really did(!), but the lack of gameplay is the scariest thing this piece of game has to offer.

retrospectively, I am really glad I didn't buy or even pre-order this game.
    since "demos" have disappeared, I found a solution I can live with: I PIRATE everything I am interested in! then I play it, I "test" whether I want to buy and own a game or not. and guess what, after I decided whether I like it or not, I BUY or delete the games I pirated before.

and if anybody doesn't believe me, you can have my steam name and take a look at my +200 games steam-library!

I feel really sorry for everybody who spent money on this game... story and a semi-frightening athmosphere are NOT enough to make a game I truely hope "The Chinese Room" realizes this, before they release another game.

as much as Iwanted to like "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs", it simply isn't good enough and the fact that "The Chinese Room" took ALL mechanics that made "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" so great OUT OF the sequel is a shame! A SHAME!

1 point for a decent story, which unfortuantely wasn't immersive enough for me and didn't make me goosebumps once.

A SHAME! (gosh, this game really pissed me off! I LOVED the first one and I came to realize, I HATE "The Chinese Room" hopefully, someone burns the down! another game that doesn't sell, like this one and that "room" will be boarded-up)
  53. Oct 16, 2013
    An incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters areAn incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters are disappointing, but even with how bad they are I can't take points away because the story and the immersion and the thoughts that are provoked by this game far and I mean FAR outweigh any negative impact from the enemies. Anybody that complains about the game not "scaring them" is because they didn't understand it wasn't meant to make you go, "AAAH! Monsters!" it was meant to make you go, "What monster am I? What have I done to these people? What did I do to my family?" You're meant to look inward at the horrors that can be committed by man not the horrors of pig-men trying to kill you. If you're looking for a game that will make you have those terrible thoughts and have to wonder what kind of a monster you are, than this is for you. If you want a puzzle game that relies on basic emotions (fear of character death) to scare you play Dark Descent or Penumbra (it's better than Dark Descent). Expand
  54. Oct 13, 2013
    Kontynuacja najstraszniejszego horroru ostatnich lat wychodzi dobrze, ale tylko pod względem fabuły. Pomimo tego że pierwsza część strasznie wciągała jeżeli chodzi o fabułę. Chęć czytania listów, notatek i dowiadywania się kolejnych rzeczy aby wreszcie zrozumieć o co w tym wszystkim chodzi nadawała grze świetnego klimatu. Tutaj jednak twórcy postawili na fabułę jeszcze bardziej. ZresztąKontynuacja najstraszniejszego horroru ostatnich lat wychodzi dobrze, ale tylko pod względem fabuły. Pomimo tego że pierwsza część strasznie wciągała jeżeli chodzi o fabułę. Chęć czytania listów, notatek i dowiadywania się kolejnych rzeczy aby wreszcie zrozumieć o co w tym wszystkim chodzi nadawała grze świetnego klimatu. Tutaj jednak twórcy postawili na fabułę jeszcze bardziej. Zresztą musieli, oprócz fabuły nic ma tutaj prawie nic ciekawego. Twórcy zrezygnowali z większość pomysłów narzuconych w pierwszej części. Nie ma ekwipunki, nie ma strachu przed ciemnością. Szkoda, te elementy naprawdę narzucały straszny, specyficzny klimat Amensii. Graficznie gra wygląda jak sprzed dekady. Dziwne że twórcy użyli tego samego silnika tylko lekko go ulepszając. Gra do tego jest za krótka, straszy o wiele mniej(pomimo wprowadzonej większej ilości scryptów) do tego jest zbugowana i nie dopracowana. Aczkolwiek, ze względu na fabułę warto zagrać. Moja ocena 7/10 Expand
  55. Oct 4, 2013
    Ok so first lets get all of this out of the way, its definitely not the first game and not as scary. I was rather disappointed when I got my hands on this game. for all the people who are pissed at this game it was made by different developers so of course it would be different. but really I had some fun with the game even though it was way more about puzzles than scares. people saying theOk so first lets get all of this out of the way, its definitely not the first game and not as scary. I was rather disappointed when I got my hands on this game. for all the people who are pissed at this game it was made by different developers so of course it would be different. but really I had some fun with the game even though it was way more about puzzles than scares. people saying the game is boring or its amazing are wrong now this is just my opinion and a honest review the graphics could of been better it basically looked like a texture pack. The game was made by a small group of people who also mad custom stories for the first game and those stories and maps were fun and really scary. but they did this series a injustice so much hype for so little I don't now if this is just me but I finished it in about 3 hours I almost died once through out the entire game. I give it a 5/10 it6 was scary about 5% of the time if you wont to play a descent horror game than pick it up but I you have to choose buy the first one. Expand
  56. Sep 11, 2013
    A great story couldn't help this game from leaving me unimpressed.

A great story couldn't help this game from leaving me unimpressed.

I'll make my review short. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs does many things right, especially in terms of atmosphere and the story it tells is intriguing. However, this is almost where it stops, because, as for the gameplay a lot of the core mechanics from The Dark Descent are gone, such include the Sanity meter, inventory, lamp-oil, tinderboxes and health. Now don't get this wrong, you can still die, but you life regenerates instead of you having to use Laudanum like you should in The Dark Descent.

But to my surprise, halfway into the game I had stopped thinking about this as an issue because the story is very compelling if a little hard to grasp at times. You can definitely feel that this game was idealized by The Chinese Room.

Don't worry though, there will be puzzles, and there will be suspense leading to scares like in The Dark Descent, but unfortunately the latter seems only about half as effective this time around and this is mostly because of the lack of the inventory menu. Most puzzles are ready to be solved as you find them and even though there is more than one main type of enemy that can kill you, the graphical design for any of them just isn't disturbing enough. When you get a good look at the monsters you're not afraid anymore.

The question you have to ask yourself before you consider playing this Amnesia however is whether you liked The Dark Descent because of the scares or the gameplay or whether it was because you liked the story it told.

In my own opinion there isn't much to like in Machine for Pigs if you simply don't care for storytelling in games. It's a very streamlined Amnesia and the experience suffers from it for those who expected this to be a true sequel that was gonna be bigger and badder than the original. But if you do like good storytelling you should definitely play this.

57. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is the follow up to the absolutely incredible and terrifying Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Developed mostly by Thechineseroom as opposed to Frictional, AMFP is ultimately a good game...but ultimately it is a disappointing follow up, as well.

The moral here is that sometimes cutting too much fat just ruins the bacon Thechineseroom, makers of the environmental

The moral here is that sometimes cutting too much fat just ruins the bacon

Thechineseroom, makers of the environmental "game" Dear Esther were granted the opportunity to develope AMFP with Frictional's help. While their forte seems to be creating immaculate environments, unfortunately Thechineseroom's narrative theory also drifted into the most recent Amnesia game as well.

Their approach to narrative seems to be more trying to create a "game based story" rather than a "story based game" and Thechineseroom unfortunately falls a bit flat, failing to acknowledge the one element that makes games a unique medium for storytelling: interactivity.

Why Thechineseroom feels that good narration requires less interactivity with the environment, I do not know. I feel it's somewhat condescending, though; as if they fear the player will get too distracted to pay attention to the story that they wrote. In Dear Esther, the player was restricting to navigation alone, and in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs much of the interactive nature of The Dark Descent has also been scrapped. There is very little to interact with other than absolutely tedious lever puzzles. This lack of 'stuff' makes the world feel a bit empty, and aside from the occasional written note on a table, there's really not a lot of need to explore the well designed environments.

In The Dark Descent, there were also lots of segments with voice acted notes, and fully voiced interludes Daniel would hear when his memory started to come back. In AMFP, there is almost none of this. Rarely you will hear the voice of your children, or Mandus himself or one of his antagonistic cohorts...but aside from Mandus himself, every other character serves to further complete Mandus' story. None of the notes you find are voiced, and even the ones written by his children are written in jarring english like they were all written by the same 20-something Victorian gentleman.

The scares also aren't as potent here. Staring at a pig monster until it goes away isn't as creepy as being forced to look away from the grunt breathing heavily near you in the dark. Still, there are moments that are eerie, disturbing, and tense. Overall, AMFP is still a step above other horror titles out there. It's just a shame it's not as good as it's predecessor.

The bottom line is that AMFP is still pretty decent, regardless of theThechineseroom's apparent need to restrict player interaction with the environment. Though a lot of what was in the original isn't intact, for better or for worse, the game is still disturbing and fun regardless of the awful puzzles and linear thinking that went into some of the design choices here.

I still recommend it, wholeheartedly...yet, at the same time I hope that Thechineseroom does not manage to further piggy-back onto Frictional's most promising franchise.
  58. Sep 11, 2013
    I have not finished the whole game yet but so far it's really good and I'm scared constantly.
    The atmosphere and game-play is awesome, but what is lacking is the moveable objects that were in TDD, it's not a big thing but it's the small things. The inventory system is also a disappointment and items such as tinderboxes, sanity potions etc. I was hoping for more items in this game, and the puzzles where you must put stuff together etc just like in TDD. That is why I'm giving it 7/10.
  59. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent, in my opinion, was the defining game of the entire horror genre. With that said, I and most others expected great things from its sequel, A Machine for Pigs. Unfortunately, A Machine for Pigs didn't quite deliver what I and many other fans of Dark Descent expected.

Let's start with where the game went wrong. Firstly, the inventory system seen in Dark Descent has been removed. Items are still used in a similar fashion, but have to be picked up as objects lying in the ground. This usually means that all the items needed to solve a puzzle must be very close together, as picking up objects lying on the ground and carrying them around long distances doesn't exactly make for great gameplay. The end result is that many of the puzzles are much simpler than those you would see in Dark Descent. The sanity system has also been removed. In Dark Descent, it was easy to get lost in the elaborate dungeons in the game, so the sanity system was really used to pressure players to keep moving and find their way to the end. Machine for pigs instead seem to opt for simpler, easier to navigate dungeons. Personally, I think many of the fans of Dark Descent, including myself, preferred the winding dungeons to the almost guided, linear pattern of Machine for Pigs. Gone also is the ability to mod the game. The final flaw I'd like to point out is that the game was, all in all, quite short. (It only took me about 6 hours to beat)

So, on to the positives of the game. Firstly, the most important one the game is still quite scary. There are still scenes that will startle you, scenes that will bother you, and scenes that will keep you afraid for a bit. The tone seen in Dark Descent is still present. Maybe not quite as refined, but still present. The music for the game is masterfully done, and in my opinion is the highest note of the game. It's some of the most haunting music I've heard in any game so far, and is probably the one thing in the game that actually trumps Dark Descent. The story is still very well built, and overall the game still winds up being a fun, enjoyable game.

So, to summarize, A Machine for Pigs is not as much a successor to Dark Descent as many fans had hoped, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. To people considering buying it, if you haven't played Dark Descent, I'd highly recommend purchasing it first, as it's honestly just a superior game. However, if Machine of Pigs is on a good Steam Sale, and you're looking for something scary to play, I'd still recommend giving it a go.
  60. Sep 12, 2013
    This game was a little dissapointing.people were expecting a game 10 X scarier than the original but we got a game that was short, it took me a day to beat it.also it wasn't that scary. however it had a AMAZING storyline. the story made me finish. it was creepy at some parts but most parts were not that scary. i wouldn't consider this game a amnesia game. but it was a pretty good game.This game was a little dissapointing.people were expecting a game 10 X scarier than the original but we got a game that was short, it took me a day to beat it.also it wasn't that scary. however it had a AMAZING storyline. the story made me finish. it was creepy at some parts but most parts were not that scary. i wouldn't consider this game a amnesia game. but it was a pretty good game. with great puzzles and a amazing storyline.overall 7/10 Expand
  61. Sep 15, 2013
    I wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I thinkI wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I think after all this backlash, Frictional will be sure to do the next one all on their own. Let's be careful we don't cause them to pack it in altogether... Cheers! Expand
  62. Sep 12, 2013
    Despite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain thatDespite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain that they are easy to escape from, and they run very slow. Yes you have a point but when you put facts together could a 600lbs pig man run as fast as a 200lb adult man? I thought the man pigs were fine and plus I cared about the story more than the scares. Yes without the scared the game wouldn't be what it would have been. To sum it up I think this game deserved more. Expand
  63. Sep 13, 2013
    A machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strangeA machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strange to you. I gave this game a 9 just because the game wasnt scary cause i believe the first game was way scarier) but because is unique, it shows that they put a lot of effort on writing it and this is why i loved it. Not a 10 because i dont believe the name should have contained 'Amnesia' in it... this is a very different game... anyway.. totally recommending this game Expand
  64. Sep 13, 2013
    nao amnesia tiraram tudo que tinha de bom no primeiro game pra fazer esse machine que ficou muito chato,cheio de barulhos chatos ,mas a ambientação ficou muito boa (só isso mesmo)

vou ir jogar o primeiro game pq esse ta
  65. Sep 14, 2013
    Frictional Games while working on their next new IP brought in The Chinese Room a team that made the breathtaking Dear Esther in 2012 to create a sequel to what many consider to be, the scariest game ever. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is set in Victorian London in the year 1899. You play as Oswald Mandus a butcher who has built up a factory complex and built a great machine for pigs, heFrictional Games while working on their next new IP brought in The Chinese Room a team that made the breathtaking Dear Esther in 2012 to create a sequel to what many consider to be, the scariest game ever. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is set in Victorian London in the year 1899. You play as Oswald Mandus a butcher who has built up a factory complex and built a great machine for pigs, he wakes up one night after a fever dream to find that his children have gone missing and he must descent into the heart of the machine to save them. The game focuses heavily on narrative thus loses the massive emphasis on horror and survival that The Dark Descent had, of course with TCR working on the game it was inevitable to become a fresh experience but was that experience a great horror game i came to expect? No it started off really nicely but very slowly worked it's way to the first pigman encounter, after that the game lost it's momentum and i felt myself becoming confused on how i felt on the game. For the first half of the game you feel threatened by the pigs but after you reach the holding pens and observe them playing with blocks and acting like children you feel sorry for them and realise that they're just people, homeless and prostitutes that Mandus had taken into the machine, seeing that kills the mood. It had it's moments where it scared me and made me squeal like a piggy but they were too few and there are literally no hiding places in the form of closets and the like, most of the time it felt like a dull descent into the unknown. The new and improved mechanics makes it easier and more fun to throw items around but don't expect to pick up everything as the game forces you to only pick up items of interest. What the game does do well however is the stunning visuals and the amazing sound design that Jessica Curry has wonderfully composed, i think it was the music and story that kept me going to the end. All in all it wasn't what i expected that's not to say it's bad however it is NOT an Amnesia game if you are a veteran of the first you will be disappointed like I. Expand
  66. Sep 15, 2013
    This was a game I had long waited for, and I am please to say it was not a disappointment. The game brings back true horror with the chilling areas, the atmosphere, and its brain-bending puzzles.

As a fan of the first game, I am slightly disappointed that some features from the last game were removed, mainly the sanity meter, as I found it one of the many elements that adds strategy and horror to the game.

Despite that, this sequel does bring back the gripping storytelling that Frictional Games provides us with, as I found the mysteries exciting and shocking that it made me carry on with the game.

Overall, it isn't the best sequel to the series, but then again, no game is perfect. It has its pros and cons, but I like to see it as a good addition to what may come further in these horrifying games.
  67. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't understand why people are hating on this game so much. Its interesting, but is not the same game as Amnesia: The Dark Decent. They still keep up their reputation of horrifying ambience and it seems they have even improved on that aspect. Don't listen to all those haters it's a great game.
  68. Sep 16, 2013
    Wer nach einem Horrorgame wie The Dark Descent sucht, wird leider enttäuscht. A Machine for Pigs erzählt eine bizarre Geschichte, welche nicht viel Platz für richtigen Horror lässt. Fast scheint es so, als wurde die ganze Energie in die Story gesteckt und der Horror rückte in den Hintergrund. Als Horrorfan erscheint dies bitter, denn auch ich habe mich auf schlaflose Nächte gefreut. DochWer nach einem Horrorgame wie The Dark Descent sucht, wird leider enttäuscht. A Machine for Pigs erzählt eine bizarre Geschichte, welche nicht viel Platz für richtigen Horror lässt. Fast scheint es so, als wurde die ganze Energie in die Story gesteckt und der Horror rückte in den Hintergrund. Als Horrorfan erscheint dies bitter, denn auch ich habe mich auf schlaflose Nächte gefreut. Doch je mehr ich mich mit der Story auseinandersetze, desto bizarrer erscheint sie. Ein richtiger Die Story finde ich wirklich sehr Gelungen.

Was mich stört(e):
    - Die Rätsel sind zu einfach
    - (fast) Keine Verfolgungsjagden
    - Kein Inventar (und kein "Zustand") mehr und darum ist es auch nicht nötig, jeden Raum nach brauchbarem abzusuchen
    - Wenn man ein Schweinchen sieht, dann flackert höchstens die Lampe. Angst scheint man keine zu haben
    - zu wenig horror

Was ich gut fand:
    - Die Story
    - Die Effekte

Alles in allem fand ich das Game nicht schlecht, wer aber Horror sucht, ist bei diesem Spiel falsch. Wer wert auf eine gute Story legt, der sollte sich dieses Spiel unbedingt genauer anschauen.
  69. Sep 23, 2013
    In short, they shifted the premise from "scary jumpscares with a sub-par story" to "eerie environment with a good story", which isn't a bad thing at all. I just wasn't expecting it, as were a lot of fans of the Dark Descent.
  70. Sep 24, 2013
    Welcome to Dear Esther 2!
    I can't do a serious analisis because this isn't amnesia.
    Sound: Good.
    Atmosphere: Good
    Graphics: Good
    Terror: 0%

If terror doesn't exist the game shouldn't be called Amnesia.
  71. Sep 26, 2013
    Amnesia: A machine for pigs developed by The Chinese Room and published by Frictional Games, sets out on the glorious quest to win the crown of horror in this non direct sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Does it surpass the original game? Find out below!

It's hard to talk about the story of this game without giving away mayor spoilers, so here's a short non spoiler summarize. You take the roll of Manuds, a rich man who awakes deliriously from high fever in his bed. Haunted by visions of a powerful and evil machine that has taken your two children as hostages. Manuds has no choice but to walk deeply inside the machine and hopefully return his precious Children to their home. The story is quiet intriguing as you push forward, it got lots of twists and turns that'll make you question your perspective through the entire game. Some twists and turns might also entangle with some other twists leaving a big question mark behind. But for some, a second play through might come in handy to see details unfold in the beginning of the game.

Now to the most important part of all, how does it play? The game still have the same 'push and pull' mechanic from Amnesia(also in Frictional Games earlier series, Penumbra) where you grab a door with the mouse button and then either, push and pull to open it. The same also goes to other object like drawers, levers and valves. This mechanic feel very good and if you are being chased by a monster it's crucial that you know how to close a door behind you in a fast manner to avoid getting eaten.

Speaking of running away it's the only defense you have against the monsters (the few times you encounter them). There are no shotguns to blast the piggies away, just you, your lantern and any crawl space you can find.
    The game removes a lot of things from it's predecessor, things like;

Inventory
    Lantern Oil management
    Picking up random objects (bottles, books etc)
    Mental Health
    Tinderboxes
    Madness when standing in dark places

By removing these things, objectives like solving puzzles are way simpler. When you encounter a zone where a puzzle is, all you have to do is to either, look around for a valve or look for the only object that can be picked up. This is not a good thing. It's too easy and it takes away the immersion the first game had.

They've also took the time to lock almost everything up, many doors, drawers, wardrobes can't be explored at all. When you do find a drawer that can be opened there's only one thing that'll be in that drawer, a note. Yes the only things you pick up in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is notes and puzzle pieces. This sucks, in the original Amnesia you could tear down an entire room, it was great pulling out every book from a drawer -
    or a shelf, maybe there would be something there much more important than a note, oil perhaps? Like I mentioned above the oil management has been removed. You are using an infinite electric lantern that you never have to worry about. This is also a very bad thing. You are not scared when using it, another recent horror game knew that it's important to limit the player 'Safe Object'. Outlast had batteries to it's 'Safe Object' which was a camera. Then you got more things to worry about then just monsters when walking into the darkness.

The monsters in this new Amnesia really lack the true horror that the first game had. It's pigs, with some human modifications, like an arm. Most of the times they will just run past the screen, down on all fours, like a pig. The game always gives away when a pig is approaching too. Like in Silent Hill when your radio came on you knew that monsters where around, in this game your lantern and surrounding lights will start to flicker giving away any potential scare of it. "Why?" you might ask, well it's creepy the first six times it happens but after that it gets repetitive and boring. The very first time you encounter a monster in this game, there's no music and no stinger sound of any kind. It's just a pig, walking around, down on all fours.

Remember the water part in the original Amnesia? Well it returns but with invisible pig ghosts instead! It's not great and I will not go into detail why as it could take me several pages to explain how it doesn't fit in into this game or why it's not scary.
    So all in all the gameplay is about you pushing forward the entire game, turning valves and reading notes.

Now the presentation of this game is where it really shines. The game is filled with very interesting machinery that will make you awe in some spots. Almost every asset in this game is new (sure some assets from the original Amnesia will show up in some spots). The dark descent into the machine is intriguing, almost every section of the machine will be something new to look at, which is really nice. The games soundtrack sound design is also very good.

I wouldn't recommend this game to newcommers of Amnesia. Get the first one and ignore this.
  72. Oct 4, 2013
    I was looking forward to the sequel to Amnesia The Dark Descent, expecting it to be a horror game like the first one. A machine for pigs is, however, much more like Dear Esther than it is like Amnesia. All the mechanics that made Amnesia Amnesia have been removed. No sanity, no inventory, no interesting puzzles... The game is still dark, but there's no reason to fear it because you startI was looking forward to the sequel to Amnesia The Dark Descent, expecting it to be a horror game like the first one. A machine for pigs is, however, much more like Dear Esther than it is like Amnesia. All the mechanics that made Amnesia Amnesia have been removed. No sanity, no inventory, no interesting puzzles... The game is still dark, but there's no reason to fear it because you start with a latern that won't ever run out of fuel.

The story is decent enough, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested in playing. Aside from that, the game also had a weird stuttering issue at the launch of the game which really broke the immersion. After reading up on it and seeing that Frictional wasn't going to do anything about it, I just stopped playing altogether.

Frictional promised us a frightening game equal or better than the original, but they lied. If they had been honest about it, and at least tried to solve the game's problems (which fans have already done by this time), I might have been more forgiving. Frictional, however, really didn't keep their promises, and seemed not to care when reports of bugs were given.

Frictional, I hope this is the last I hear from you,

One of the fans you cheated.
  73. Oct 19, 2013
    I loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not aI loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not a bad game, not at all! It's great.) but I do understand why there are a lot of people who disagree on that. It's simply not as scary, there's no more sanity system and you can barely interact with any objects. But only because it's being compared to the first game it ís the sequel so you'll do that automatically, of course the game seems to bad. But in my personal opinion I loved it. Expand
  74. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is better and worst than The Dark Descent.
    The story it's very good but hard to understand,but no accidentally,the creators made the story be spelled in some lately parts,and in the other they concentrate on game play.
    The scare factor is made by the atmosphere and the monsters that appear at some times. I personally didn't like that they limited what you can hold,so you can
    This game is better and worst than The Dark Descent.
    I personally didn't like that they limited what you can hold,so you can tell this game is for no brain-ers,because it simply tells you that you can use that but not that.
    The ending was a bit obscure and mysterious,and i didn't understand everything.
    I don't think someone will waste his time with a custom story,because it's no inventory,no sanity and no oil,the notes are too long and some of them are useless.
    But cool game if you like puzzle adventure with a bit of horror.
  75. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well congrats two frictional and Chinese room for making the biggest disappointment in the world. This game took me 5 hours to beat, i was taking my time reading the notes and listening to the recordings. No replay value at all. And it doesn't look like custom stories are coming out ever. The game looked like it took a lot of work to make. unfortunately it want scary, didn't have an impressive story, no physiological scares, and no replay value. Expand
  76. Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where youYes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where you can freely explore every room and every corner without much hinderance or fear. It is a departure from The Dark Descent, but it works.

The horror in A Dark Descent came from the monster that was chasing you, always hurrying you along. It was very action driven. In A Machine For Pigs, the horror is much more passive. It's in the setting, the atmosphere and the story the game tells, much more than it is in the game's mechanics. And that is where The Chinese Room fits in so well. They are masters at crafting a setting that will utterly disturb you. The visuals are superb, the design of the machine is morbid, the writing in the notes and voice-overs of a quality that surpasses that of The Dark Descent... And the audio is nothing short of amazing, with a haunting soundtrack and ambient sounds that make the setting really come to life.

The game is quite short. You can finish it in 4 to 5 hours. It starts a bit slow, the beginning has a few jump-scares and a setting that is reminiscent of A Dark Descent. But once you leave the starting area and get to explore said machine from the title, the game really comes into its own. I felt The Dark Descent overstayed its welcome a bit, the latter part of the game became more tedious and it ended on a low note. Not so with A Machine For Pigs. It gets increasingly more intense as you progress and continues to build up to a final, horrifying climax.

Ultimately I think A Machine For Pigs is better than The Dark Descent. Sure it is less nerve wrecking to play, but the horror is more subtle, refined and much more unsettling. And it will stay with you once you've finished it.
  77. Jan 22, 2014
    Es un juego muy absorbente que te mantiene en constante tensión y enganchado a la trama. Sus puntos fuertes son, sobretodo los sobresaltos, la ambientación (bestial) y la trama (bastante mejor que la primera entrega). Sus puntos débiles serían: no es de terror (al menos no da la sensación total que yo buscaba), que no estuviera doblado en español (sepa o no ingles, me gusta enterarme bienEs un juego muy absorbente que te mantiene en constante tensión y enganchado a la trama. Sus puntos fuertes son, sobretodo los sobresaltos, la ambientación (bestial) y la trama (bastante mejor que la primera entrega). Sus puntos débiles serían: no es de terror (al menos no da la sensación total que yo buscaba), que no estuviera doblado en español (sepa o no ingles, me gusta enterarme bien de la trama con mi lenguaje materno) y por último que a pesar de ser corto en algunos tramos el juego se vuelve absurdo en el sentido de que no sabes a veces porque estas haciendo esto y aquello. En conclusión, Amnesia 2 es un gran juego de tensión y sobresaltos, pero que no llega a satisfacer lo suficiente, igualmente lo recomiendo mas que el primer amnesia. Expand
  78. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surely different from Amnesia: TDD, mainly because it wasn't created in collaboration as the first one had been. In this series, the game takes on a different focus, where the story is more important than the actual puzzle. Its not as interactive taking out many of the key component seen in The Dark Decent. However, without these components the player is more focused on the story rather than trying to find more oil, and I assume that is what the creators of the game was going for. This game differs being that its more of a Edgar Allen Poe kind of fear, which is far more profound rather than skin chilling scary. I can't say the main story line of Machine for Pigs was as scary, but I did enjoy the poetic beauty of the game and the environment. The game definitely leaves you thinking, although the puzzles aren't as challenging, the connection for the character and player are more synchronized. I would definitely like to see another Amnesia, but with more of a combination between Dark Decent and Machine for Pigs. Expand
  79. Jan 1, 2014
    Fantastic game, with very powerful and memorable moments. The critique that the gameplay is not very challenging is fair, you should really approach this game as an interactive movie and take the time to soak in all the little details and get immersed. If you want to sink in a man's personal purgatory you won't be disappointed.

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed and too simple, that is a fair critique too. There are reveals, but not really any big twists. The beauty of the story is the elaboration and exploration of what you initially suspect, and by the time you see you already know.

I can't recommend it enough, really. It is a brilliant work.
  80. Jun 23, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but it was missing a lot of the constant, changing scares that The Dark Descent had. It starts out VERY slow, with some very basic scares that barely tend to scare you. This game excels in creepy atmosphere, however. And the monsters do come around before the middle of the game, at least. Which is good. I thought this game was excellent but certainly wasn't the best thatIt was enjoyable, but it was missing a lot of the constant, changing scares that The Dark Descent had. It starts out VERY slow, with some very basic scares that barely tend to scare you. This game excels in creepy atmosphere, however. And the monsters do come around before the middle of the game, at least. Which is good. I thought this game was excellent but certainly wasn't the best that Frictional normally puts out, like Penumbra (which is still my scariest game personally) and The Dark Descent. I'd still recommend a buy. Expand
  81. Jul 8, 2014
    This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0?This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0? Fine. I'll give this game a 10, just to counter your ridiculous belief on how a game "should" be. Expand
  82. Oct 18, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic story, beautiful mucis, wonderful story telling, five star voice acting! Now we only need the game.
    As a game, it's short, linear, not challenging at all, nor is it frightening, which is a let down compared to the original. But as an artistic effort, if you accept a game to be the medium of story telling, it is increadible. Don't remember the last time, when I was moved, or amazed by... anything in a game, really, but at the ripe old age of 28, this game gave me shivers.
    I can not overlook, that as a game, where you have to do stuff, and resolve puzzles, it is almost a comlete failure. No inventory, no object combinations, nothing to try, find or manipulate. No sanity bar, no health, no timed challenges, no unseen force chasing you in heart-pounding scenes. You just walk around, collect lettes and listen to recordings, trying to make out, what the hell happend. Not much to do - loads to absorb.
    It is more like a piece of art, than a game - too bad, that it comes with a pegi rating. It sould have been made into a film, or some very dark, surreal cartoon.
  83. ave
    Jun 9, 2015
    The sad thing concerning Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, is that your appreciation of the game might be entirely based on your previous experience of Amnesia: The Dark Descent (or lack of)

I expected the second Amnesia to be a "same but different" kind of survival mystery / horror game. And it was not. No real pressure is put on the player in this game (except at the end). No oil or sanity management. No terrifying enemies. It seems that many things has been toned down to lift up the story.

So. Is the story good ? Well, it's decent. It's disturbing at best. There is so much foreshadowing that you can figure out the whole thing (but that's good planting nonetheless). Most of it is told though notes, voice recordings, memory recalls, voice over and telephone... Unfortunately, I did'nt relate to the character and the thin gameplay wasn't helping.

Except the sheer size of the "machine", there is to few intriguing level design. The puzzle are not always related to the plot. All in all, I found myself cruising through the level and reaching the end. Hopefully, the game was short enough to let me enjoy another one.
  84. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never have I been so disappointed in such a finely made game.

Yes, you've read correctly.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs from an aesthetic standpoint is well done. The artwork, with the exception of some bland or dodgy areas for certain locations, is wonderfully done. The sound design is excellent, easily one of the best among indie titles. The score, while having bombastic, clumsy instances, fits the depressing tone that Machine for Pigs aims for. The voice work is strong, though some may complain about the obnoxious children. And lets be honest here, what child isn't obnoxious?

What's wrong with Machine for Pigs is not the design. No, the problem goes much deeper than that.

It seems after hours of touching up decour, writing scripts, designing loading screens, banging metallic things together in a foley studio, they forgot to design an actual GAME around the project. In fact, it seems as if fleshing out the gameplay was the last thing on the developers' priority list. It's akin to devoting several days to wrapping a present. You pick the right wrapping paper, make sure the fold is perfect, put bows, strings, glitter, and whatever fancy crap on it. But when the recipient finally unwraps everything, they're left with a pet rock.

The game played like a disappointment because it starts out promising.

Amnesia? Check.
    Nihilistic, depressing story? Check.
    Journal Entries/Backstory? Check.
    Motivation? Check.
    Intriguing mystery? Check.

What could go wrong? Well, everything.

First off, the game is at its best when you know absolutely nothing. You're wandering around your mansion, strange things are happening, and you have no idea what answers are in store for you. The mansion too is one of the best looking locations in the game, which is kind of unfortunate as some locations are bland by comparison.

As you start to get deeper into the machine and story, the answers to the supposed mystery become more and more disappointing. You'll find yourself asking why they chose to make the story flow in such an obvious fashion. It was almost like there was absolutely no twist or curve ball you couldn't guess hours before it was officially stated in the context of the narrative.

"Durrr, you mean my kids aren't still alive, trapped in a machine?"
    "Durrr, you mean I killed the kids myself?"
    "Durrr, you mean the machine feeds on people?"
    "Durrr, you mean I was the saboteur all along?"

And just when you thought it couldn't get any more obvious, it becomes ridiculous. Moments after discovering that you were the saboteur, undoing what you had intended to do initially, you immediately return to becoming the saboteur again... but for reals this time!

Then you... magically teleport from one location to another, and encounter pigmen who happen to have the exact same ability. Not that teleporting pigmen actually inconvenience you in the slightest.

Then you... have pretentious hallucinations about your kids, rife with symbolism and obnoxious score. It's like something straight out of a bad arthouse film.

At this point in the game, I felt that it was no longer trying to hold my interest or attention. It was like Machine for Pigs thought its core message was so profound and meaningful that it had to jerk itself off a little and bathe in its own perceived afterglow. I was buying none of that and slogged my way to the predictably disappointing ending. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the game aspect of this gold encrusted turd.

You have a lamp with an endless supply of oil, no health or sanity to manage, no inventory, minimal puzzle solving, and laughable monster interactions. I must have died once my entire playthough and it was entirely inconsequential. I spawned near where I died and the monster was no where in sight. Completely contradictory to the first Amnesia, where any death hindered progress.

The monsters are also a disappointment. Not only are they not frightening in the slightest, there are points in the game where you can view them in isolation, allowing the player to see them for prolonged periods of time without danger. I understand that the whole idea of the scene in question was to allow for the player to sympathize with the creatures but that's not something that you do in a game where you're supposed to be afraid of the unknown menace lurking around in the darkness.

So, congratulations The Chinese Room: You have managed to create a beautiful, anti-horror, anti-game, psychological horror... experience!

If you care at all about the Amnesia series, play this one if it goes on sale just keep the expectations to a minimum if you want to complete it. Otherwise, I suggest you only play Amnesia: The Dark Descent or any of the Penumbra titles.
  85. Sep 29, 2013
    Great horror game. Dark atmosphere. This game is maybe for the lesser-hardcore horror freaks, as i've enjoyed A Machine for Pigs much more than the dark descent. It's maybe because it's not as spooky, but still very, very dark.
  86. Nov 2, 2013
    Definitely worse than the first Amnesia game. You just run thru endless dark rooms and collect some notes. No gameplay whatsoever. Oh, you can throw chairs around. To the game's credit, there is some artistic style and classic music playing at some places, but this doesn't compensate for the global boredom this game brings. I just wonder why anyone would want to make like this, afterDefinitely worse than the first Amnesia game. You just run thru endless dark rooms and collect some notes. No gameplay whatsoever. Oh, you can throw chairs around. To the game's credit, there is some artistic style and classic music playing at some places, but this doesn't compensate for the global boredom this game brings. I just wonder why anyone would want to make like this, after seeing such great examples like Fallout or Deus Ex which came 10-15 years before. The person who designed this piece of junk definitely has nothing to do with games and doesn't know the word "gameplay". Gee, this so-called game would be worthless even if it were free. Expand
  87. Jun 17, 2015
    The strongest aspect of this game is the story, and the atmosphere that creates in the location setting. Voice acting, music and sounds make this a haunting and atmospheric experience.

Only draw backs are the slight tweak to the mechanics from the first, such as no inventory and electric lamp draw from the atmosphere. The length is also quite short ranging from quick at 3 to long at 5.

Still for fans of the first and horror games not just counting on jump scares worth a look.
  88. Nov 3, 2013
    When the first time world saw Amnesia: The Dark Descent, It got the best reviews and the best marketing program there is possible to get. It's a shame that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs just can't handle the hype it got before release. I, myself waited this game 2 years to come and.. yeah! It is what it is. The Graphics are just magnificent, Story and storytelling is just pure awesomeness,When the first time world saw Amnesia: The Dark Descent, It got the best reviews and the best marketing program there is possible to get. It's a shame that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs just can't handle the hype it got before release. I, myself waited this game 2 years to come and.. yeah! It is what it is. The Graphics are just magnificent, Story and storytelling is just pure awesomeness, but this game isn't scary enough and the atmosphere isn't the best possible. I don't want to spoil anything and I still think the game is worth of buying, so I recommend to experience it still. I think it might be better if you don't have that overhyped mind when you first time start it.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs truly is worth of money but sadly can't handle the hype behind it
  89. Nov 8, 2013
    I hesitated a little while giving this game a 10. I had eagerly waited for this game for about 1.6 years and I had no experience on what chineseroom was master at. The first part of Amnesia-series, 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent', was frictionalgame's way into the world of Amnesia. Chineseroom's way is more of a storytelling one. It's not gameplay, but the aesthetics they had created. TheI hesitated a little while giving this game a 10. I had eagerly waited for this game for about 1.6 years and I had no experience on what chineseroom was master at. The first part of Amnesia-series, 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent', was frictionalgame's way into the world of Amnesia. Chineseroom's way is more of a storytelling one. It's not gameplay, but the aesthetics they had created. The background story is incredible, but due to the missing feeling the first Amnesia-game was famous of, this game is a bit different. It's not as challenging, scary, disturbing or brutal as the first part. Therefore a rating of 7 should do well, because though it's a good game for my personal experience, it doesn't honor the first part of the Amnesia-series. Expand
  90. Sep 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cannot understand why most people are underwhelmed by the scare factor in A Machine For Pigs. In all honesty, I found it to be creepier and more fear-inducing than Dark Descent, mainly due to the games inclusion of children and...*shudder*....pigs. In fact, the underlying story was amazingly horrific directly because of the effective use of these elements as its basis. Expand
  91. Oct 5, 2013
    I went into this with high expectations. How couldn't I? Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of my favorite games of all time. But, after a year of waiting, the new developer (The Chinese Room) managed to fall short in every way.
    1. They took the main gameplay of the first game (rationing light sources through tinderboxes and lamp oil) and didn't even bother replacing it with new gameplay. The main action in this game is walking around.
    2. They managed to butcher the story in favor of the weird pseudo-poetic exposition used in Dear Esther. Contrary to what they seem to think, this doesn't make the plot nuanced and complex, it only makes it harder to identify with the protagonist. Not to mention the fact that the twist ending is as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.
    3. The removal of the inventory would have still ruined the game even if everything else was great. There are now no items to ration (one of the scariest parts of Amnesia: TDD) and every puzzle has been reduced to dragging and dropping. To prevent player confusion, the amount of interactive objects has been limited to puzzle related items. So, if you find something that is movable, it is for a puzzle. This removes any need for exploration and accentuates the games linearity.

All of that being said, it still isn't too bad an experience for a horror fan. It's just a bad sequel. You can decide for yourself if it is scary enough to compensate for that. Just, try to limit your expectations.
  92. Oct 6, 2013
    Many other reviewers have noted Machine's lack of innovation that ignited the popularity of Dark Descent. While I feel that it was a deviation from those mechanics, there are no new innovations in that area that make up for the lost art of the first game.

This game excels in the area of writing—taking you through the inner-torments of the protagonist through introspective scenes and definitive journal entries. The game's puzzles amount to moving levers or items to their appropriate places—that's it. There isn't much of a horror element. I was truthfully scared exactly three times, but I did feel anxious/suspenseful many more times. However, if you start to take-in the game's subtle or not-so-subtle storyline hints and the atmosphere, you may become much more anxious when you start to realize that depth of depravity.

The conflict seems predicable; once you go down far enough, you realize you're transgressing into an existential nightmare—and there will be no way out, which plays along well with the canon. The machinery seems overdone and the pacing becomes very predictable once you load a new zone. If you start to connect the dots, you'll realize how it all will end.

The game is rather short and can be a quick fix for entertainment—it's certainly something to play all the way through at least once. I couldn't fathom any re-playability because of its truly linear storyline. Overall, I give it a 6 out of 10 and mark it as a good bargain buy.
  93. Oct 21, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has a fantastic story but falls short with it's monster encounters. The game's detail and music go great hand in hand. The scare fact of this game relies on you to listen with headphones in a pitch black room around 1-2 AM. The game only takes a few hours to complete so if you're interested in this game then I'd wait for a steam sale. All in all I still enjoyedAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs has a fantastic story but falls short with it's monster encounters. The game's detail and music go great hand in hand. The scare fact of this game relies on you to listen with headphones in a pitch black room around 1-2 AM. The game only takes a few hours to complete so if you're interested in this game then I'd wait for a steam sale. All in all I still enjoyed playing this game and suggest anyone to try it out. Expand
  94. Oct 28, 2013
    While not being as great as the original Amnesia, it still keeps you immersed and manages to keep you scared and interested in the story. If you're an Amnesia fan, then this game should be able to keep you entertained, despite the 3-4 hour story
  95. Nov 1, 2013
    Not what you expected. It lingers very far from the origins of Amnesia, less focused on horror and more focused on detailed story-telling. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes me question why this game was under the Amnesia name all this time. The non-scripted horror interactions are minimal, the overall ability to interact with the world around you is minimal, and there's noNot what you expected. It lingers very far from the origins of Amnesia, less focused on horror and more focused on detailed story-telling. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes me question why this game was under the Amnesia name all this time. The non-scripted horror interactions are minimal, the overall ability to interact with the world around you is minimal, and there's no sort of inventory or loot system. It's not like the first Amnesia, in many bad ways, but at the same time it feels like it manages to do well enough of a job on its own right as its own game.

It's a good game, but it's not a good Amnesia game. If you expected a true successor to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you won't find it here. If you're looking for a similar, but different experience, then definitely pick this up.
  96. Nov 16, 2013
    Despite that this sequel denies some mechanics of the predecessor, it shows a scary atmosphere with an interesting story. It's not a "perfect sequel", but will satisfy you. VIRTUALINN.IT
  97. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall this game had a pretty good atmosphere, but there were aspects that I felt it was missing that I enjoyed from the first Amnesia. There is no sanity meter, and there is no inventory. This means that there is no way to light up various areas other than the use of your lamp. It also means that there is no need to explore, as there is no running out of important tools, and there is very little that you have to look for. The Dark Descent definitely hit the nail on the head in terms of scare and suspense, and I think that MFP came up a little bit lacking, as there is none of the "How many tinderboxes do I have? Will I be able to make it through this area in the dark, while my sanity slowly goes down?". The game still has its moments, but there are fewer enemies on the map, and once you come to this realization, the game becomes less frightening. The ending of the games gives players something to think about as it has some insight into how our world may actually be, but I'll let you play it to find that out.

Overall a good experience, but it was lacking some of the aspects that made Amnesia: The Dark Descent so good.
  98. Nov 28, 2013
    Different, yes, but still a damn fine game. Easily more disturbing than the first game, and the gameplay operates well. And holy f*ck, the manpigs...

It's easy to become immersed in this game, and I admit I don't mind the lack of oil, tinderboxes and sanity being gone. Overall, it is excellent. I love it.
  99. Dec 5, 2013
    Play the first amnesia and hell even the penumbra games were better than this. 2-4 hours is unacceptable for the "game play" provided.

The game wasn't scary, the AI is stupid. I ended up running past most of the AI because they are virtually harmless and it became a game of cat and mouse. The puzzles were mind numbingly easy to the point where you see fuses right beside the empty fuse box.

Don't waste your money, hell even get outlast which was wayyyy bettter compared to this.
  100. Dec 15, 2013
    All the main elements of the game had been taken away, such as sanity meter, darkness, scarcity of oil and tinderboxes. Pigs in the game were clumsy and were more than easy to avoid. After a one year of hype and excitement the game was a huge disappointment for many of my friends (only 1½ to 2 hours of gameplay). Good things about the game was that the puzzles were easy and obvious soAll the main elements of the game had been taken away, such as sanity meter, darkness, scarcity of oil and tinderboxes. Pigs in the game were clumsy and were more than easy to avoid. After a one year of hype and excitement the game was a huge disappointment for many of my friends (only 1½ to 2 hours of gameplay). Good things about the game was that the puzzles were easy and obvious so complete so that the player couldn't get stuck easily, voice acting was good and the graphics were better than the previous game. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs is a well made and impressive game with a thorough thematic design and atmosphere. As a horror game it is rather spartan yet brilliant in that it let’s your brain conjure most of its horrors. Unfortunately it comes with a rather numbing effect that makes later parts of the game feel more formulaic and not as scary.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    With problematic pacing and a complete lack of the horror element -that was the highlight of the first game- A Machine for Pigs didn't meet our expectations.
    A perfect clash of Dear Esther and Amnesia, focused on straining your nerves while easing - perhaps a tad too much - on the interaction and gameplay. [Issue#234]