5.8

1. Sep 20, 2013
    Tis game... this game... The story was presented wonderfully but the problems out weigh many of the great story moments and gameplay "improvements" It was just lacking the pure fear that you felt playing the dark descent, it lost the survival aspect. I felt safer and less scared in this game than any other "survival horror" game i have ever played. The game is still worth playing however...
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    I want to start off by saying that I did enjoy this game. It had a great story line with heavy immersion and great atmosphere that one rarely finds in other horror titles. The game was good, but it felt rather bare compared to The Dark Descent. Inventory, tinderboxes, and oil are completely removed from the game, along with the health and insanity meters. This was quite a disappointment, but I eventually got over it because the game's primary focus was immersion and atmosphere. But what really lowered the score for me was the fact that there are no custom stories! What in the world were they thinking?? Without custom stories, this game offers absolutely no replayability, which really sucks due to the fact that you can beat the game in just 4 hours. There was a great community of people who modded Amnesia and made many awesome custom stories that really added to The Dark Descent's content, but what happens to that now? Are we just forgetting about one of the best features of Amnesia? That doesn't seem fair to all the dedicated people who made custom stories before and who were probably looking forward to doing it now in A Machine for Pigs. I hope they might put a patch out or something to add this back into the game, because otherwise I don't see any point in keeping in my Steam library anymore. As I said before, it is a good game, but it's hard for me to decide whether it was even worth the purchase due to all these awesome features that were just stripped out of the game, as well as the fact that it was only 4 hours long. Maybe they will patch it, maybe not. We will just have to wait and see how they deal with this issue. Expand
  3. Sep 21, 2013
    I LOVED the first Amnesia. I completely dislike the second. It's a pale imitation with none of the cool features we all liked in the first iteration. No lantern running out of oil. No real use of light and shadow at all. No spiral into madness. No terror of the unknown...
  4. Sep 19, 2013
    As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game. The plot is heavy and not always easy to accept but if you play the first game you will get an idea why is it this way. Personally I found this game to be one of the best horror games. A fair amount of jumpscares, a fair amount of creepy content and a tension from the beginning and till the end. I must comment the sound, as it is the games bread and butter. I was terrified every time hearing a monster eating something behind the corner. And this narration is a gem of modern gaming.
    If this series will ever continue, I would play every game to come only because these two have taken a place in my heart. I recommend this game to every person that seeks a game, that tells you a story, rather than attacks from the corner to dismember you and makes you walk on human flesh.
    And to all those, who think this game is worse that the first one or even any game available today, play "Dear Esther" to understand the concept, not "Outlast". Amnesia has its scary parts, but it does not kill you every time you encounter an enemy. Good or bad, this is what the game is so don't get fooled by the glory of the first game. You will enjoy if you want to enjoy a story.
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    Sadly this game is not Amnesia anymore.
    While having more detailed and complete storyline than original title and truly great story development (here we can thank chineeseroom, I guess), the game lacks one crucial point. Fear.

Getting rid of all UI is a good solution, but hey, the game is scary for only 1/3 of the time. You can walk in the dark freely as though it's you, who is the
    monster. Meeting monsters doesn't drive you mad and you can actually get hit by one and run away from it. Should I also point to the fact that pigs have great smell sense and will definitely smell you hiding behind crates?

After reading interview with Amnesia creator I was waiting for more "fear development", and in some parts it was very good indeed. Low frequency sounds, flickering lights, strange growls. But the second half of the game is just "run and click some buttons", so I guess they were just in a hurry to release the game. Of course I have read all the notes and documents in game, but I still have this bitter feeling of being fooled by the title.

Anyway, the story has made me think a lot and I still think it is a good game. But good like Dear Esther, not Amnesia.
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    While it is not a *horribly* bad game is was definitely an overwhelming disappointment for me.

The game-play was okay, the graphics were astounding and the scenery very beautifully made and it definitely created the dark and horrific atmosphere Amnesia had, but I could not find it in myself to care about the story or the main character at all. Which for me, is one of the greatest sins
    a game can ever commit.

Unlike the first amnesia game were you truly wanted to learn what had happened, who the main character was and how to stop the coming evil and thus searched frantically for clues about those In this game, I had to force myself to read the notes and listen to the records after a while, it just got too boring and much too confusing. I am sure that if this had been a book where they could explain everything a little better, I would have loved it, but somehow the game took such an overdramatic, religiously fanatic approach that most of the time I just rolled my eyes at the recordings. If you are playing the main character in a game, you want to *like* him. In Amnesia you felt sorry for the MC even if he was a douche, but this MC is just a jerk, and even if there are a few redeeming hints thrown in here and there, I still found myself disliking him.

I really wanted to love this game because it was an “Amnesia”, but there are just so many things about it that annoys me The sanity meter is gone for one, and the main characters health regenerates rather quickly, which made the pig monsters that much less scary: I could always outrun them so why care if I took a hit? Also, the whole "pig" theme seems rather forced after a while: Yes, humans are pigs, understood, please stop using it in every-single-monologue.

The game gets boringly linear after a while. You are doing the same thing over and over and over again for ages just in slightly varying ways. The first time I had to turn a wheel and pull a lever to fix something was fine, but doing it 20+ times?

Maybe I am being too harsh on the game, but that is only because I keep comparing it to the first Amnesia, and I fully admit that! But if you choose to create a game as a sequel to Amnesia instead of a game of it´s own genre and style in order to sell more copies, and then strip it of so many of the things that made the previous game so popular, people will be rather disappointing: It is like creating a Mass Effect game without the dialogue wheel Same game yes, but the games “soul” is gone.

If they released this as a game of it´s own, I think I would have liked it better, but only a bit because for me, creating an unlikeable main character, boringly linear tasks, and face-palm worthy over-dramatic monologue gives you a nice place in the back of my closet where you shall stay forevermore never to be played again.

All in all an okay game, but very over the top dramatic, not really scary and in the end, not what I wanted the next Amnesia game to be like. Sorry.
  7. Sep 21, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs is not as good as I expected it to be. It has barely any interaction with objects, no potions, good jump scares or a good monster.In my opinion it was quite a downfall for the creators. Personally for me it just seemed like a mod, not a full game made by the same creators as Amnesia's the dark descend's. Again: the monsters were simply ridiculous and the story didn't connect what so ever, the game cant even be called horror anymore, there wasn't even an inventory! The game was just bad. Expand
  8. Sep 23, 2013
    This game in no way feels like a Frictional title, probably because it was developed by "The Chinese Room". Which created Dear Esther for the full steam release around last year. But all aside this game is not a survival horror, which in many ways disappointed me when I played it. Instead it is a rehash of Amnesia the Dark Descent but dumbed down to a point where survival is not a challenge in the game. The only good thing that came out of Amnesia A Machine for Pigs was the story. Well yes there are some parts that seemed mildly stupid, but in all it was a somewhat deep and disturbing tale. This game almost ruined The Chinese Room and Frictional Game's reputation in my mind. But its not the worst that could happen. Expand
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Should you buy this game? If you're new to the Amnesia franchise or horror games in general, yes, totally. If you're already huge fan of Amnesia: the Dark Descent and you have high hopes and expectations for the sequel, maybe not.

Had I known nothing about the previous games in the series, I would have reviewed it as a 9/10. It would have stood better on its own than being presented as
    a sequel. I was disappointed when my expectations set by The Dark Descent were not met. I'm like a kid at Christmas who got a parrot instead of a puppy. Mom and dad, this is cool, but I wanted someone to play fetch with!

In the Dark Descent, I was crippled by fear, afraid open the door to the next room, but I was so terribly curious what would be revealed next. I found this quality of tension and mystery lacking in a Machine for Pigs (MFP). What is rewarding about MFP is the deeper philosophical question it raises. "How does society treat those who we view as second-class citizens? How do I treat them?"

Secondly, it might seem minor, but I was highly disappointed that I couldn't tear books off shelves in MFP. You can only interact with items that are important to progressing to the next area. This breaks the immersion. I found that I actually missed the complex puzzles and hunt for hidden items.

Lastly, the absolute terror of the monsters is gone. This is due to familiarity. You could never get a clear look at the horror chasing you through Dark Descent, or figure out where and when it would show up next. The monsters in MFP quickly become familiar, predictable, easily avoided. There's no hiding; you just avoid their path. The horror is not in them sneaking up on you, but what they represent.

So, you're buying it anyway? Try to approach this game with an open mind, and you'll enjoy it.
  10. Sep 25, 2013
    Amnesia Machine For Pigs will move you. Don't expect a re-harsh of Dark Descent. This might as well be its own game. Very compelling, beautifully crafted, and scary as hell. Buy this one if you are truly ready to move to the next level of story telling and game play. A must to experience....Here piggy piggy...
  11. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-end computers, removing the physics attributes for a lot of unimportant in game scenery. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  12. Sep 30, 2013
    Amnesia 2 is like taking good parts out of your computer, and replacing it with parts, that can't produce the same effects, or just barely can do those, that the previous parts done greatly.

It was a twisted journey, with a lot of interesting thoughts, but it was like the developers praised they great words in the game. Wanted too much poetry, but drowned in it.
    Overally, it was a
    mediocre storyline, with some lights.
    The puzzles were too simplistic, and unvariable.
    The music and the art of it were wonderful things, but I wanted to see more of the facility.
  13. Sep 30, 2013
    Do not purchase this game. It was a disappointment. First, you can't interact with anything in the game, want to grab that flower pot? Nope, this chair? NOPE, very little interaction.

Second, their is no more sanity mechanics, the dark does not do anything to you anymore, Lame lame LAME. The lantern you use is infinite in power, it must be nuclear or something

The monsters in the
    game are not scary, they remind me of a 5 year old's Halloween piglet costume. They also use the same EXACT items and décor as in amnesia dark descent, same chairs, same everything. Its a piss poor excuse of a new game.

Overall I was very disappointed. I'm sad I waited so long fur such a lame game
  14. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, compared to The Dark Decent, was a major let down. The atmosphere was good, and the aesthetics were nice, however it did not feel like an Amnesia game. The game did very little to frighten me and the 'monsters' did nothing but make me laugh. The AI was horrible as I, on countless occasions, managed to walk up to them and stand there while they did nothing to prevent me from going past them. Another disappointment is the fact it took me only 3 hours to complete it, and that was with getting stuck at points due to misguidance in the game. For £13 that is horrible, I expected the game to last at least a bit longer than that, but alas it did not.
    Overall, it failed to grip me at all like the previous title(s), so I would not recommend buying this game at full price, just wait until it is on sale as it is not worth the money.
  15. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is a HUGE disappointment! The environment is non interactive, the inventory is gone, you don't have to worry about sanity, oil and tinderboxes anymore, no custom stories and the monster is not even scary! The story is pretty strange and some of the textures look like
  16. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is disappointing for reasons which a lot of reviews have stated: This is NOT an Amnesia game.

If one were to look at this title from this perspective it makes the game look better: This is essentially a REALLY good community mod for Amnesia: Dark Descent. Which in this case it almost is. There are no major overhauls on the visual end of things.

In terms of gameplay though,
    things have actually been pruned back. There is no interaction with the world, and less linearity to the story (no alternative endings, less notes to pick up). The amount of tension in the atmosphere is significantly reduced, and for me this also reduced the immersion.

The story goes a long way to redeeming this game. It's philosophical, intelligent, and gets you thinking. Unfortunately it's not interesting enough to me to ever consider playing it again.
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in their position once. Or maybe, it was because after taking a look at Dear Esther, they knew the Chinese room had something more to offer, something different. And that is exactly what they put on the table. Amnesia The dark descent was a game everyone will remember as the game where they their pants and screamed like a little girl." and you can't deny that you probably did too. The story for Dark Descent was interesting, especially near the end of the game. What I love about A machine for pigs is it was completely different than its predecessor. I was worried that I would be playing an amnesia game that was completely similar to the first because the fear factor just wouldn't be there and if it was, it would not be the same. What the Chinese room did was they brought forth what I believe to be the most important parts of the horror genre; the story and atmosphere. Voice acting, soundtrack, environmental design and plot were things that were improved upon by a great amount. If you were to ask me about horror movies I would respond by saying I am tired of the slashing, the blood and basically the GUTS of what make up scary movies today. I want a story that will be able to grasp me and pull me into the madness it creates deep down (with a few pretty darn crazy scares along the way too!) And that is why I enjoy this game so much. You have every part of a disturbing and very successful horror story tied together with plausible monster creations and thrilling scares. Expand
  18. Oct 30, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs (AMfP) shows how badly can games end, if the original studio doesn't work on a sequel as well. Atmosphere and focus on enviorements and personal storyline of the main protagonist (antagonist?) is a great idea, but the lack of interaction, puzzles and any form of gameplay mechanics really turns this game into boring corridor stroller. It has much better enviorments and interesting victorian London locations, but that is all. Fear and horror gets repetitive after while. I would much rather suggest investing in Outlast, but I have faith in the community. It shouldn't be hard to make more atmosferic story with better scenario, than the original made by devs. Expand
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As several other reviewers have already discussed, this game is not its predecessor and should not be viewed along the same lines. First a comparison and a redundant spoiler warning.

ADD was a "gamer's game;" it had an inventory, puzzles requiring metagame logic and the sanity/stealth feature which required the use of darkness as a strategic tool with benefits and risks associated with it. Frictional made the decisions to implement these game features based upon ADD's spiritual predecessors, the Penumbra games.

In producing AAMP, Frictional and TheChineseRoom made several conscious decisions to reduce the degree to which you could interact with the environment. The purpose of these changes was to to streamline the gameplay experience and to reduce breaches in immersion. In this regard, as other reviews have also rightly pointed out, the game should be compared more to something along the lines of Dear Esther, or TCR's less well known work, Korsakovia. While I was personally disappointed in the change of pace, having enjoyed ADD's strategic use of darkness and the level of ingenuity we saw develop in the protagonist through his usage of inventory items in creative ways, I am not reviewing AAMP as if it had tried and failed to be ADD.

I will say that the graphics were attractive and eerie; as always, Jessica Curry's score and soundscape were absolutely brilliant. Dan Pinchbeck's writing, however, was cliche and stale, although still head and shoulders above most of the writing to which we are subjected by out beloved gaming industry.

The reason I'm giving this game a 3/10 is quite simple: the game is extremely inconsistent. In attempts to frighten, it throws the threat of monsters, social anarchy, your own insanity, the death of your family and even the supernatural at you, yet even an hour+ into the game (two to three if you are fully immersed and cautious), nothing has happened to you. More particularly, nothing could have happened to you. The number of times in the game in which you could actually encounter a monster rather than an audio or visual jump scare are extremely slim. All of the actual monster encounters are extremely predictable (the game actually develops the habit of clearly warning you when enemies are present). Once the player realizes this (which does not take long), the immersion is gone and the game becomes an exercise in tedium.

Furthermore, despite the emphasis on plot and immersion versus "actual" interactive gameplay, the plot is predictable and ham-handedly portrayed and the game ends in two events which could only really be considered boss fights. Without going into details, they are prescripted survival events in which you have to directly dodge enemies without being able to hide and maneuver around them to accomplished objectives. This necessity of direct intervention completely flies in the face of the entire image which the game is attempting to uphold.

Finally, I cannot help but consider the poorly-handled release of this game. It came out a year late and ultimately did not live up to a year of anticipation.

Though I remain an avid supporter of both Frictional and TheChineseRoom, they dropped the ball on this one. I look forward to future productions from both of them and hope that they can learn from the mistakes made in the production of this game.
  20. Feb 2, 2014
    A lot of people told me that this game is no Amnesia anymore, and they were right. It's much better! This game fascinates me in so many different ways. Soundtrack, atmosphere and gameplay are just amazing and it had the most powerful story I've ever encountered! Everybody should give it a try and I promise that you'll have the time of your life.
  21. Dec 29, 2013
    This biggest mistake was putting "Amnesia" in the title. Though it did begin as just a custom story for Amnesia: The Dark Decent, it does not uphold to the standard The Dark Decent put in place. I feel I put unfair expectations on A Machine for Pigs simply because of "Amnesia". With that it mind, it does have it's own charm.

With the removal of the inventory menu and a few other
    mechanics, AMFP focuses very much more on story than it's predecessor. Where it failed to scare me, it's interesting story and world had me absorbed throughout the entire game. Enough to where I played it all nonstop in one sitting. It is short and, as far as I know, lacks the custom story option on the main menu that DD had, but I feel that it's setting and story excuses that. I would recommend this game to someone who was too scared to play the first Amnesia game, but still wants to try. And to those who were Dark Decent fans, please approach this game with an open mind you would have with a stand alone game or custom story. Expand
  22. Jan 28, 2014
    Not even scary... A huge disappoitment for me. This game has lots of bugs and one of them was that in one part of the game when the watermonster was chasing me. It wasn't in water but was still able to chase me. Then the pigs just look stupid and walk like idiots. only scary thing about this game was the noises that pigs made. The thing i hated most was the place where i had to find 3 strange bottle things and put them in to strange machine... But i was able to put only one of them and i was stuck because i was supposed to not find all of those bottle things. YEAH that wasn't the thing you were supposed to do. After you have placed one of them in to that machine there suddently just appears path somewhere. How was i supposed to know that? Expand
  23. Feb 16, 2014
    Pure Disappointment...
    Where are the puzzles where you had to collect things and combine them?
    They really took away all the fun of the game by letting you interact only with a handful of items...
    Amnesia The Dark Descent was all about smashing pots and throwing chairs all over the place to overcome your fear about the truly terrifying monsters and moving every little stone until you
    find the solution to the puzzle!
    It was fun searching for tinder or oil and opening all drawers and cupboards in your way too!
    Machine For Pigs has really fancy graphics, with lots of moments that make you chill through the combination of beautiful scenery and music, but that's all about it...
    Waste of money... As a big fan of Frictional Games' series I am sad cause i expected much more from this game after waiting for a long time! I hope they won't disappoint us on their next try or sequel...
  24. Sep 15, 2014
    Do you want a trully unique horror experience? Then grab this game, because the horror in there is not based on simple jump-scares, but rather on terrifying story! The story presented in this game is a true masterpiece, bautifuly voice-acted with awesome soundtrack. Atmosphere is dark and disturbing. Just play it in night with a candle and you will see :)
  25. Oct 18, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic story, beautiful mucis, wonderful story telling, five star voice acting! Now we only need the game.
    As a game, it's short, linear, not challenging at all, nor is it frightening, which is a let down compared to the original. But as an artistic effort, if you accept a game to be the medium of story telling, it is increadible. Don't remember the last time, when I was
    moved, or amazed by... anything in a game, really, but at the ripe old age of 28, this game gave me shivers.
    I can not overlook, that as a game, where you have to do stuff, and resolve puzzles, it is almost a comlete failure. No inventory, no object combinations, nothing to try, find or manipulate. No sanity bar, no health, no timed challenges, no unseen force chasing you in heart-pounding scenes. You just walk around, collect lettes and listen to recordings, trying to make out, what the hell happend. Not much to do - loads to absorb.
    It is more like a piece of art, than a game - too bad, that it comes with a pegi rating. It sould have been made into a film, or some very dark, surreal cartoon.
  26. Nov 2, 2013
    A technical failure for me. With all the supposed fixes out there nothing helped with my stuttering and freeze's. I pushed through all that to see what this game is like. All of the game-play that made Dark Descent is stripped away. There is no sanity meter, tinderboxes for candles, limited oil for lantern, and no inventory. It is mostly just a linear walk in the park type game. Thank god I got the torrent of this game first. Otherwise, I would have been pissed about the money I spent. Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

First off players need to set their expectations. This is more of a physiological thriller and dark mystery with tons of symbolism and history rolled up into it. It's not going to give you the sense of terror and helplessness that the Dark Descent gave you, but it's still a fantastic game, and extremely well thought out. The
    atmosphere and soundtrack are stunning, and the dreadful, melancholy sense of "wtf are these people doing?" prevails throughout the game.

Yes the monsters are easy and so are the puzzles, but the story here was so good I personally appreciated that as I did not want to waste time and wanted to advance the story line. Speaking of which it has a few twists and turns along the way which was a welcome surprise.

I think the problem alot of the negative reviews are having is they had a different expectation of the game, as if it were to be the Dark Descent part 2. This game reminds me alot of when the movie Sixth Sense came out, then was followed up by another brilliant movie Unbreakable. Two completely different movies but some fans wanted to see another Sixth Sense. Vanilla and chocolate, both great flavors and we can enjoy both.

Finally if you were a fan of Dear Esther, you will absolutely love this game. What I liked about this and Dear Esther were the emotional responses they drew, and the physiological metaphors embedded throughout the story.

Not sure how many caught it but that subliminal pig head that barely flashed on the screen for a second, as you went into one of the lifts, was freakin awesome.

I hope that Frictional continues with the Amnesia franchise, as these games have to be some of the most well-written ever. A Machine for Pigs is a solid contribution to the series.
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is not what i was expecting. It so predictable and not so scary, even the puzzles are easy and the game helps the player through them. But its not all bad. Its not an "Amnesia" game, its a totally different one but still enjoyable. The atmosphere its better and improved, soundtrack the best i ever heard and the graphics also improved despite some minor insignificant bugs but what i really like is the story which i say Congratulations to The Chinese Room for possibly the best story ever in a video game, even had a few scares. So for all the people who say this game is i strongly advise to play it again and absorb its story and its atmosphere and then we will talk. Expand
  29. Xon
    Sep 16, 2013
    The game is good, but since it is an Amnesia sequel many would feel disappointed because it is almost entirely a different genre of game. But the atmosphere is brilliant, the world painstakingly detailed and the sounds realistic and eery.
  30. Nov 20, 2014
    Utterly disappointing. I was a big fan of the original Amnesia so I was still looking forward to this title despite all the bad reviews surrounding it. It turns out they were all justified. A Machine for Pigs strips out everything that was great about The Dark Descent. The good story, the paranoia, the need to explore, the awesome setting. Everything. You're thrust into a steampunk world that is utterly uninteresting. The most fun I had in the game was in the first two levels where you're in a mansion. The rest levels are nowhere near as interesting as that one. The story is basic and you can basically guess the ending from the very start. There is no paranoia and the oil in your lamp never depletes so there is absolutely no reason to search through the environment. There's no reason to open drawers or search cabinets for items. This results in a straightforward game that took me less than 3 hours to finish. Three hours. Expand
  31. Sep 13, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is really different experience, comparing to the original. However, changing in gameplay, style and storytelling did what they had to now this game is an awesome expansion to the Amnesia universe with mad and horror story, excellent music and perfect design.
  32. HD3
    Oct 4, 2013
    The game play is significantly simplified over the Dark Descent which will put some people off but it's every bit as scary and horrific as the original. The narrative is much stronger and well written and the environments are beautifully detailed. Cast performances are universally fantastic. Would recommend.
  33. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never have I been so disappointed in such a finely made game. Yes, you've read correctly. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs from an aesthetic standpoint is well done. The artwork, with the exception of some bland or dodgy areas for certain locations, is wonderfully done. The sound design is excellent, easily one of the best among indie titles. The score, while having bombastic, clumsy instances, fits the depressing tone that Machine for Pigs aims for. The voice work is strong, though some may complain about the obnoxious children. And lets be honest here, what child isn't obnoxious? What's wrong with Machine for Pigs is not the design. No, the problem goes much deeper than that. It seems after hours of touching up decour, writing scripts, designing loading screens, banging metallic things together in a foley studio, they forgot to design an actual GAME around the project. In fact, it seems as if fleshing out the gameplay was the last thing on the developers' priority list. It's akin to devoting several days to wrapping a present. You pick the right wrapping paper, make sure the fold is perfect, put bows, strings, glitter, and whatever fancy crap on it. But when the recipient finally unwraps everything, they're left with a pet rock. The game played like a disappointment because it starts out promising. Amnesia? Check. Nihilistic, depressing story? Check. Journal Entries/Backstory? Check. Motivation? Check. Intriguing mystery? Check. What could go wrong? Well, everything. First off, the game is at its best when you know absolutely nothing. You're wandering around your mansion, strange things are happening, and you have no idea what answers are in store for you. The mansion too is one of the best looking locations in the game, which is kind of unfortunate as some locations are bland by comparison. As you start to get deeper into the machine and story, the answers to the supposed mystery become more and more disappointing. You'll find yourself asking why they chose to make the story flow in such an obvious fashion. It was almost like there was absolutely no twist or curve ball you couldn't guess hours before it was officially stated in the context of the narrative. "Durrr, you mean my kids aren't still alive, trapped in a machine?" "Durrr, you mean I killed the kids myself?" "Durrr, you mean the machine feeds on people?" "Durrr, you mean I was the saboteur all along?" And just when you thought it couldn't get any more obvious, it becomes ridiculous. Moments after discovering that you were the saboteur, undoing what you had intended to do initially, you immediately return to becoming the saboteur again... but for reals this time! Then you... magically teleport from one location to another, and encounter pigmen who happen to have the exact same ability. Not that teleporting pigmen actually inconvenience you in the slightest. Then you... have pretentious hallucinations about your kids, rife with symbolism and obnoxious score. It's like something straight out of a bad arthouse film. At this point in the game, I felt that it was no longer trying to hold my interest or attention. It was like Machine for Pigs thought its core message was so profound and meaningful that it had to jerk itself off a little and bathe in its own perceived afterglow. I was buying none of that and slogged my way to the predictably disappointing ending. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth. Oh, and I didn't even mention the game aspect of this gold encrusted turd. You have a lamp with an endless supply of oil, no health or sanity to manage, no inventory, minimal puzzle solving, and laughable monster interactions. I must have died once my entire playthough and it was entirely inconsequential. I spawned near where I died and the monster was no where in sight. Completely contradictory to the first Amnesia, where any death hindered progress. The monsters are also a disappointment. Not only are they not frightening in the slightest, there are points in the game where you can view them in isolation, allowing the player to see them for prolonged periods of time without danger. I understand that the whole idea of the scene in question was to allow for the player to sympathize with the creatures but that's not something that you do in a game where you're supposed to be afraid of the unknown menace lurking around in the darkness. So, congratulations The Chinese Room: You have managed to create a beautiful, anti-horror, anti-game, psychological horror... experience! If you care at all about the Amnesia series, play this one if it goes on sale just keep the expectations to a minimum if you want to complete it. Otherwise, I suggest you only play Amnesia: The Dark Descent or any of the Penumbra titles. Expand
  34. Aug 11, 2014
    Why a pigs machine, it's not supposed to be an ordinary puzzle game. It is okay but I'm afraid the developers have already shown everything they have in The Dark Descent.
  35. Sep 25, 2014
    They took out the inventory and sanity meter, you don't have to worry about oil, and you can hardy interact with ANYTHING.
    They removed everything that made Amnesia, Amnesia. Now it's virtually Dear Esther with Amnesia slapped in the title.
    What do you know, The Chinese Room has made another flop. Working with them was a HUGE mistake and I hope Frictional Games doesn't do it again.
  36. Sep 16, 2013
    Not scare. Have no any horror. But storyline completely crazy and has some interesting ideas, many blood and use to show us a essence what rule this unperfect world. In time of sterile censored games with pink blood and unnatural soft and too simple lexicon it very...not bad, yeah. If you love psychedelic atmosphere, your favorite film is "The silence of the lambs" and your think that Hannibal the most charismatic character for ever, i think you like this game. Expand
  37. Sep 29, 2013
    Great horror game. Dark atmosphere. This game is maybe for the lesser-hardcore horror freaks, as i've enjoyed A Machine for Pigs much more than the dark descent. It's maybe because it's not as spooky, but still very, very dark.
  38. Sep 11, 2013
    loved the story pacing and acting, took me a while to get into the game but once i did i couldn't stop playing. if you are getting this just for scary bits then you will probably be disappointed but if you play a game for story and atmosphere you will love it
  39. Apr 9, 2014
    I only want to say a few things about this: 1) My vocabulary was increased whilst playing this game. Thanks Frictional, I learned a bunch of new words, yay me! 2) And all you need to know, is I have never played a single player game and wanted it to end so badly and for so long - only to have it drag on for hours as I began my sprint to the finish far too soon. Just not even CLOSE to A Dark Descent. Expand
  40. Sep 14, 2013
    Not such a disaster that many are complaining BUT it is true that many good old features were replaced with nothing and that the game is pretty linear.
    But still this game is pretty average indie-horror game although not nearly as good as Dark descent.. We also have to remember that this game was not from the original amnesia developers.
  41. Nov 2, 2013
    Definitely worse than the first Amnesia game. You just run thru endless dark rooms and collect some notes. No gameplay whatsoever. Oh, you can throw chairs around. To the game's credit, there is some artistic style and classic music playing at some places, but this doesn't compensate for the global boredom this game brings. I just wonder why anyone would want to make like this, after seeing such great examples like Fallout or Deus Ex which came 10-15 years before. The person who designed this piece of junk definitely has nothing to do with games and doesn't know the word "gameplay". Gee, this so-called game would be worthless even if it were free. Expand
  42. Sep 13, 2013
    Hell to the naysayers, this game is amazing. Its true potential may be hidden by a false face of bland maps, linear and easy puzzles and an absence of scares, but don't let that fool you!

When you fully understand the power of the chairs (more specifically stools), you will come to the understanding that this game is a deep social commentary with so much depth and multifaceted intricacy
    that to even begin to comprehend it could result in your death. The grand ascension of chairs is the life of this game.

So, grab yourself a stool, lie it down and jump on top. Prepare to harness the power of the chair! Speed through halls like a winged hyena and don't stop at the constraints of the map blitz through bars, walls and even the ground! ENTER THE CHAIR REALM and the vicious emptiness that is skybox-glitch! All hail stool! All hail stool!

It's all part of a machine; a machine for chairs.

Tl;dr: this game kicks arse, 10/10 best chair simulator ever.
  43. Oct 20, 2013
    A cerebral and spooky sequel that expands on the franchise’s story and themes, while slightly dialing down the terror. This is a good, and well made horror game, whats with all the criticism. I would recommend, you buy this if you are a horror game fan.
  44. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell another moody and atmospheric story about terror, tremors, and horrors of the factorial industrial period.

Graphics: When it gets dark, pull out your lantern, because otherwise there is nothing much to be seen. When the lantern comes out however, it gets beautifully dark as can be.

Sound: Between the rip roaring of machinery and the screaming and howling of monsters, you'll have your hands full with disseminating and distinguishing between what can hurt you and what can't. It's all terrifying however, and quite unexpected.

Playability: Choosing between using a keyboard or a controller makes this experience easier on more players, but I would definitely prefer the classic layout of the original, and played through with that choice set-up.

Entertainment: A truly scary and thought-provoking experience, as the first was. Not necessarily a step up, but not a giant step down either.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.25
  45. Sep 20, 2013
    I loved Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

it was probably the first commercially succesful "survival-horror" game and it instantly became the benchmark for the genre...
    it's mechanics were great and very innovative, hiding in closets, a constant search for matches and lamp-oil and above all, keeping an eye on your "sanity metre", which became too high whenever you were in the dark for too
    long all these were simply GREAT! innovative (for the most) and refreshingly different from everything we've had seen to that point.

to make a long story short: "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" is a fantastic game, it's innovative gameplay-mechanics were simply wonderful and the game was full of suspense, thrills, a reasonable amount of jump-scares.
    an almost perfect game, a truely perfect survival-horror game!

so, when I heard about the sequel and saw the trailer to "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs", I was looking forward to it.

all those great gameplay-mechanics I've mentioned above GONE!

"Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" LACKS_EVERYTHING_THAT_MADE_THE_FIRST_GAME_SO_GREAT!

the story is decent, sure, but that is in no way, shape or form enough to make a halway decent game.
    apart from the well-written story, "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" is just boring.
    the athmosphere is quite tense, but the comical "monsters" do not look threatening or scary at all. you can outrun them easily, so there wouldn't even be the need to hide in a closet... unfortunately.

the developers "The Chinese Room" have proven once again (and hopefully for all and ever!) that an interesting story is NOT ENOUGH to make a good game!
    I wanted to like this game, I really did(!), but the lack of gameplay is the scariest thing this piece of game has to offer.

retrospectively, I am really glad I didn't buy or even pre-order this game.
    since "demos" have disappeared, I found a solution I can live with: I PIRATE everything I am interested in! then I play it, I "test" whether I want to buy and own a game or not. and guess what, after I decided whether I like it or not, I BUY or delete the games I pirated before.

and if anybody doesn't believe me, you can have my steam name and take a look at my +200 games steam-library!

I feel really sorry for everybody who spent money on this game... story and a semi-frightening athmosphere are NOT enough to make a game I truely hope "The Chinese Room" realizes this, before they release another game.

as much as Iwanted to like "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs", it simply isn't good enough and the fact that "The Chinese Room" took ALL mechanics that made "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" so great OUT OF the sequel is a shame! A SHAME!

1 point for a decent story, which unfortuantely wasn't immersive enough for me and didn't make me goosebumps once.

A SHAME! (gosh, this game really pissed me off! I LOVED the first one and I came to realize, I HATE "The Chinese Room" hopefully, someone burns the down! another game that doesn't sell, like this one and that "room" will be boarded-up)
  46. Oct 16, 2013
    An incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters are disappointing, but even with how bad they are I can't take points away because the story and the immersion and the thoughts that are provoked by this game far and I mean FAR outweigh any negative impact from the enemies. Anybody that complains about the game not "scaring them" is because they didn't understand it wasn't meant to make you go, "AAAH! Monsters!" it was meant to make you go, "What monster am I? What have I done to these people? What did I do to my family?" You're meant to look inward at the horrors that can be committed by man not the horrors of pig-men trying to kill you. If you're looking for a game that will make you have those terrible thoughts and have to wonder what kind of a monster you are, than this is for you. If you want a puzzle game that relies on basic emotions (fear of character death) to scare you play Dark Descent or Penumbra (it's better than Dark Descent). Expand
  47. Jul 20, 2014
    Te first Amesia took the atmosphere of the first Alone in the dark with a modern gameplay, it was a good mix of action and story. This one is really boring, excluding the first part with nice earthquakes effect really scary thanks to the really good sound effects. After that the game become BORING with 4 or 5 monsters in the whole game resembling BEbop from ninja turtles grunting at you. The graphic is really bad also for a 10 year old game, i can accept lowpoly model but not so many lowres textures.
    There is no exploration part, you can walk around only to find few notes or sometimes a mechanic part for a stupid puzzle.
    The only good news is the sounds and musics create most of the scary atmosphere in the game.
    Next time could be better if The CHinese Room doesn't break the balls and makes his own crappy games.
  48. Nov 3, 2013
    When the first time world saw Amnesia: The Dark Descent, It got the best reviews and the best marketing program there is possible to get. It's a shame that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs just can't handle the hype it got before release. I, myself waited this game 2 years to come and.. yeah! It is what it is. The Graphics are just magnificent, Story and storytelling is just pure awesomeness, but this game isn't scary enough and the atmosphere isn't the best possible. I don't want to spoil anything and I still think the game is worth of buying, so I recommend to experience it still. I think it might be better if you don't have that overhyped mind when you first time start it.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs truly is worth of money but sadly can't handle the hype behind it
  49. Oct 13, 2013
    Kontynuacja najstraszniejszego horroru ostatnich lat wychodzi dobrze, ale tylko pod względem fabuły. Pomimo tego że pierwsza część strasznie wciągała jeżeli chodzi o fabułę. Chęć czytania listów, notatek i dowiadywania się kolejnych rzeczy aby wreszcie zrozumieć o co w tym wszystkim chodzi nadawała grze świetnego klimatu. Tutaj jednak twórcy postawili na fabułę jeszcze bardziej. Zresztą musieli, oprócz fabuły nic ma tutaj prawie nic ciekawego. Twórcy zrezygnowali z większość pomysłów narzuconych w pierwszej części. Nie ma ekwipunki, nie ma strachu przed ciemnością. Szkoda, te elementy naprawdę narzucały straszny, specyficzny klimat Amensii. Graficznie gra wygląda jak sprzed dekady. Dziwne że twórcy użyli tego samego silnika tylko lekko go ulepszając. Gra do tego jest za krótka, straszy o wiele mniej(pomimo wprowadzonej większej ilości scryptów) do tego jest zbugowana i nie dopracowana. Aczkolwiek, ze względu na fabułę warto zagrać. Moja ocena 7/10 Expand
  50. Oct 4, 2013
    Ok so first lets get all of this out of the way, its definitely not the first game and not as scary. I was rather disappointed when I got my hands on this game. for all the people who are pissed at this game it was made by different developers so of course it would be different. but really I had some fun with the game even though it was way more about puzzles than scares. people saying the game is boring or its amazing are wrong now this is just my opinion and a honest review the graphics could of been better it basically looked like a texture pack. The game was made by a small group of people who also mad custom stories for the first game and those stories and maps were fun and really scary. but they did this series a injustice so much hype for so little I don't now if this is just me but I finished it in about 3 hours I almost died once through out the entire game. I give it a 5/10 it6 was scary about 5% of the time if you wont to play a descent horror game than pick it up but I you have to choose buy the first one. Expand
  51. Sep 11, 2013
    A great story couldn't help this game from leaving me unimpressed.

I'll make my review short. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs does many things right, especially in terms of atmosphere and the story it tells is intriguing. However, this is almost where it stops, because, as for the gameplay a lot of the core mechanics from The Dark Descent are gone, such include the Sanity meter, inventory,
    lamp-oil, tinderboxes and health. Now don't get this wrong, you can still die, but you life regenerates instead of you having to use Laudanum like you should in The Dark Descent.

But to my surprise, halfway into the game I had stopped thinking about this as an issue because the story is very compelling if a little hard to grasp at times. You can definitely feel that this game was idealized by The Chinese Room.

Don't worry though, there will be puzzles, and there will be suspense leading to scares like in The Dark Descent, but unfortunately the latter seems only about half as effective this time around and this is mostly because of the lack of the inventory menu. Most puzzles are ready to be solved as you find them and even though there is more than one main type of enemy that can kill you, the graphical design for any of them just isn't disturbing enough. When you get a good look at the monsters you're not afraid anymore.

The question you have to ask yourself before you consider playing this Amnesia however is whether you liked The Dark Descent because of the scares or the gameplay or whether it was because you liked the story it told.

In my own opinion there isn't much to like in Machine for Pigs if you simply don't care for storytelling in games. It's a very streamlined Amnesia and the experience suffers from it for those who expected this to be a true sequel that was gonna be bigger and badder than the original. But if you do like good storytelling you should definitely play this.

52. Nov 8, 2013
    I hesitated a little while giving this game a 10. I had eagerly waited for this game for about 1.6 years and I had no experience on what chineseroom was master at. The first part of Amnesia-series, 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent', was frictionalgame's way into the world of Amnesia. Chineseroom's way is more of a storytelling one. It's not gameplay, but the aesthetics they had created. The background story is incredible, but due to the missing feeling the first Amnesia-game was famous of, this game is a bit different. It's not as challenging, scary, disturbing or brutal as the first part. Therefore a rating of 7 should do well, because though it's a good game for my personal experience, it doesn't honor the first part of the Amnesia-series. Expand
  53. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is the follow up to the absolutely incredible and terrifying Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Developed mostly by Thechineseroom as opposed to Frictional, AMFP is ultimately a good game...but ultimately it is a disappointing follow up, as well.

The moral here is that sometimes cutting too much fat just ruins the bacon

Thechineseroom, makers of the environmental
    "game" Dear Esther were granted the opportunity to develope AMFP with Frictional's help. While their forte seems to be creating immaculate environments, unfortunately Thechineseroom's narrative theory also drifted into the most recent Amnesia game as well.

Their approach to narrative seems to be more trying to create a "game based story" rather than a "story based game" and Thechineseroom unfortunately falls a bit flat, failing to acknowledge the one element that makes games a unique medium for storytelling: interactivity.

Why Thechineseroom feels that good narration requires less interactivity with the environment, I do not know. I feel it's somewhat condescending, though; as if they fear the player will get too distracted to pay attention to the story that they wrote. In Dear Esther, the player was restricting to navigation alone, and in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs much of the interactive nature of The Dark Descent has also been scrapped. There is very little to interact with other than absolutely tedious lever puzzles. This lack of 'stuff' makes the world feel a bit empty, and aside from the occasional written note on a table, there's really not a lot of need to explore the well designed environments.

In The Dark Descent, there were also lots of segments with voice acted notes, and fully voiced interludes Daniel would hear when his memory started to come back. In AMFP, there is almost none of this. Rarely you will hear the voice of your children, or Mandus himself or one of his antagonistic cohorts...but aside from Mandus himself, every other character serves to further complete Mandus' story. None of the notes you find are voiced, and even the ones written by his children are written in jarring english like they were all written by the same 20-something Victorian gentleman.

The scares also aren't as potent here. Staring at a pig monster until it goes away isn't as creepy as being forced to look away from the grunt breathing heavily near you in the dark. Still, there are moments that are eerie, disturbing, and tense. Overall, AMFP is still a step above other horror titles out there. It's just a shame it's not as good as it's predecessor.

The bottom line is that AMFP is still pretty decent, regardless of theThechineseroom's apparent need to restrict player interaction with the environment. Though a lot of what was in the original isn't intact, for better or for worse, the game is still disturbing and fun regardless of the awful puzzles and linear thinking that went into some of the design choices here.

I still recommend it, wholeheartedly...yet, at the same time I hope that Thechineseroom does not manage to further piggy-back onto Frictional's most promising franchise.
  54. Sep 11, 2013
    I have not finished the whole game yet but so far it's really good and I'm scared constantly.
    The atmosphere and game-play is awesome, but what is lacking is the moveable objects that were in TDD, it's not a big thing but it's the small things. The inventory system is also a disappointment and items such as tinderboxes, sanity potions etc. I was hoping for more items in this game, and the
    puzzles where you must put stuff together etc just like in TDD. That is why I'm giving it 7/10. Expand
  55. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent, in my opinion, was the defining game of the entire horror genre. With that said, I and most others expected great things from its sequel, A Machine for Pigs. Unfortunately, A Machine for Pigs didn't quite deliver what I and many other fans of Dark Descent expected.

Let's start with where the game went wrong. Firstly, the inventory system seen in Dark
    Descent has been removed. Items are still used in a similar fashion, but have to be picked up as objects lying in the ground. This usually means that all the items needed to solve a puzzle must be very close together, as picking up objects lying on the ground and carrying them around long distances doesn't exactly make for great gameplay. The end result is that many of the puzzles are much simpler than those you would see in Dark Descent. The sanity system has also been removed. In Dark Descent, it was easy to get lost in the elaborate dungeons in the game, so the sanity system was really used to pressure players to keep moving and find their way to the end. Machine for pigs instead seem to opt for simpler, easier to navigate dungeons. Personally, I think many of the fans of Dark Descent, including myself, preferred the winding dungeons to the almost guided, linear pattern of Machine for Pigs. Gone also is the ability to mod the game. The final flaw I'd like to point out is that the game was, all in all, quite short. (It only took me about 6 hours to beat)

So, on to the positives of the game. Firstly, the most important one the game is still quite scary. There are still scenes that will startle you, scenes that will bother you, and scenes that will keep you afraid for a bit. The tone seen in Dark Descent is still present. Maybe not quite as refined, but still present. The music for the game is masterfully done, and in my opinion is the highest note of the game. It's some of the most haunting music I've heard in any game so far, and is probably the one thing in the game that actually trumps Dark Descent. The story is still very well built, and overall the game still winds up being a fun, enjoyable game.

So, to summarize, A Machine for Pigs is not as much a successor to Dark Descent as many fans had hoped, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. To people considering buying it, if you haven't played Dark Descent, I'd highly recommend purchasing it first, as it's honestly just a superior game. However, if Machine of Pigs is on a good Steam Sale, and you're looking for something scary to play, I'd still recommend giving it a go.
  56. Sep 12, 2013
    This game was a little dissapointing.people were expecting a game 10 X scarier than the original but we got a game that was short, it took me a day to beat it.also it wasn't that scary. however it had a AMAZING storyline. the story made me finish. it was creepy at some parts but most parts were not that scary. i wouldn't consider this game a amnesia game. but it was a pretty good game. with great puzzles and a amazing storyline.overall 7/10 Expand
  57. Sep 15, 2013
    I wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I think after all this backlash, Frictional will be sure to do the next one all on their own. Let's be careful we don't cause them to pack it in altogether... Cheers! Expand
  58. Sep 12, 2013
    Despite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain that they are easy to escape from, and they run very slow. Yes you have a point but when you put facts together could a 600lbs pig man run as fast as a 200lb adult man? I thought the man pigs were fine and plus I cared about the story more than the scares. Yes without the scared the game wouldn't be what it would have been. To sum it up I think this game deserved more. Expand
  59. Sep 13, 2013
    A machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strange to you. I gave this game a 9 just because the game wasnt scary cause i believe the first game was way scarier) but because is unique, it shows that they put a lot of effort on writing it and this is why i loved it. Not a 10 because i dont believe the name should have contained 'Amnesia' in it... this is a very different game... anyway.. totally recommending this game Expand
  60. Sep 13, 2013
    nao amnesia tiraram tudo que tinha de bom no primeiro game pra fazer esse machine que ficou muito chato,cheio de barulhos chatos ,mas a ambientação ficou muito boa (só isso mesmo)

vou ir jogar o primeiro game pq esse ta
  61. Sep 14, 2013
    Frictional Games while working on their next new IP brought in The Chinese Room a team that made the breathtaking Dear Esther in 2012 to create a sequel to what many consider to be, the scariest game ever. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is set in Victorian London in the year 1899. You play as Oswald Mandus a butcher who has built up a factory complex and built a great machine for pigs, he wakes up one night after a fever dream to find that his children have gone missing and he must descent into the heart of the machine to save them. The game focuses heavily on narrative thus loses the massive emphasis on horror and survival that The Dark Descent had, of course with TCR working on the game it was inevitable to become a fresh experience but was that experience a great horror game i came to expect? No it started off really nicely but very slowly worked it's way to the first pigman encounter, after that the game lost it's momentum and i felt myself becoming confused on how i felt on the game. For the first half of the game you feel threatened by the pigs but after you reach the holding pens and observe them playing with blocks and acting like children you feel sorry for them and realise that they're just people, homeless and prostitutes that Mandus had taken into the machine, seeing that kills the mood. It had it's moments where it scared me and made me squeal like a piggy but they were too few and there are literally no hiding places in the form of closets and the like, most of the time it felt like a dull descent into the unknown. The new and improved mechanics makes it easier and more fun to throw items around but don't expect to pick up everything as the game forces you to only pick up items of interest. What the game does do well however is the stunning visuals and the amazing sound design that Jessica Curry has wonderfully composed, i think it was the music and story that kept me going to the end. All in all it wasn't what i expected that's not to say it's bad however it is NOT an Amnesia game if you are a veteran of the first you will be disappointed like I. Expand
  62. Sep 15, 2013
    I found the original Amnesia to have great ideas but to fall flat on its ass with how gamey the inventory and the meters made it feel. Only every now and then were you able to forget its actually a game.

This time around they concentrated on what made Amnesia great. (If you can honestly say playing around with your inventory was what made it good then... I don't know... Diablo or Path
    of Exile might be more your cup of tea )

Good:
    - Atmosphere
    - Story
    - The horror element Until...

Bad:
    Once they reveal too much of the pig-men. Once you've seen them a bunch they really lose their effectiveness. This is not a monster design flaw IMO. The same thing happens with all monsters once you get a good long look at them. It is a pacing story telling flaw. This is were almost all horror games & movies for that matter fall flat on their arse.
  63. Sep 15, 2013
    This was a game I had long waited for, and I am please to say it was not a disappointment. The game brings back true horror with the chilling areas, the atmosphere, and its brain-bending puzzles.

As a fan of the first game, I am slightly disappointed that some features from the last game were removed, mainly the sanity meter, as I found it one of the many elements that adds strategy and
    horror to the game.

Despite that, this sequel does bring back the gripping storytelling that Frictional Games provides us with, as I found the mysteries exciting and shocking that it made me carry on with the game.

Overall, it isn't the best sequel to the series, but then again, no game is perfect. It has its pros and cons, but I like to see it as a good addition to what may come further in these horrifying games.
  64. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't understand why people are hating on this game so much. Its interesting, but is not the same game as Amnesia: The Dark Decent. They still keep up their reputation of horrifying ambience and it seems they have even improved on that aspect. Don't listen to all those haters it's a great game.
  65. Sep 15, 2013
    "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs" is the sequel to" Amnesia: The Dark Descent", but doesn't really feel like that. The graphics and the atmosphere are definetly awesome, but the gameplay is heavily reduced.

The inventory sytem is missing, you don't have to refill the lantern and you can't move as many objects as you could in "The Dark Descent".

The monsters in "A Machine For Pigs" are
    looking scarier than the monsters in "The Dark Descent", but don't really seem to be a real threat to me, mainly because the chasing noise doesn't appear anymore.

The puzzles aren't as challenging as the ones in "The Dark Descent", which isn't exactly a bad thing, because you don't use so much time on finding and combining stuff anymore.

"A Machine For Pigs" is a bit short, but I felt satisfied in the end. The story confused me and I still don't really know what was going on, but I didn't have the feeling I had after games like "Outlast" where the ending was just bad to me.

"A Machine For Pigs" is definetly a good game, but the fact that it is the sequel to one of the scariest games ever created makes it seem a bit bad. If you would take the "Amnesia" out of the name and would just call it "A Machine For Pigs" it would seem way better because one doesn't compare it to "The Dark Descent" anymore.
  66. Sep 16, 2013
    Wer nach einem Horrorgame wie The Dark Descent sucht, wird leider enttäuscht. A Machine for Pigs erzählt eine bizarre Geschichte, welche nicht viel Platz für richtigen Horror lässt. Fast scheint es so, als wurde die ganze Energie in die Story gesteckt und der Horror rückte in den Hintergrund. Als Horrorfan erscheint dies bitter, denn auch ich habe mich auf schlaflose Nächte gefreut. Doch je mehr ich mich mit der Story auseinandersetze, desto bizarrer erscheint sie. Ein richtiger Die Story finde ich wirklich sehr Gelungen.

Was mich stört(e):
    - Die Rätsel sind zu einfach
    - (fast) Keine Verfolgungsjagden
    - Kein Inventar (und kein "Zustand") mehr und darum ist es auch nicht nötig, jeden Raum nach brauchbarem abzusuchen
    - Wenn man ein Schweinchen sieht, dann flackert höchstens die Lampe. Angst scheint man keine zu haben
    - zu wenig horror

Was ich gut fand:
    - Die Story
    - Die Effekte

Alles in allem fand ich das Game nicht schlecht, wer aber Horror sucht, ist bei diesem Spiel falsch. Wer wert auf eine gute Story legt, der sollte sich dieses Spiel unbedingt genauer anschauen.
  67. Sep 23, 2013
    In short, they shifted the premise from "scary jumpscares with a sub-par story" to "eerie environment with a good story", which isn't a bad thing at all. I just wasn't expecting it, as were a lot of fans of the Dark Descent.
  68. Sep 24, 2013
    Welcome to Dear Esther 2!
    I can't do a serious analisis because this isn't amnesia.
    Sound: Good.
    Atmosphere: Good
    Graphics: Good
    Terror: 0%

If terror doesn't exist the game shouldn't be called Amnesia.
  69. Sep 26, 2013
    Amnesia: A machine for pigs developed by The Chinese Room and published by Frictional Games, sets out on the glorious quest to win the crown of horror in this non direct sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Does it surpass the original game? Find out below!

It's hard to talk about the story of this game without giving away mayor spoilers, so here's a short non spoiler summarize. You
    take the roll of Manuds, a rich man who awakes deliriously from high fever in his bed. Haunted by visions of a powerful and evil machine that has taken your two children as hostages. Manuds has no choice but to walk deeply inside the machine and hopefully return his precious Children to their home. The story is quiet intriguing as you push forward, it got lots of twists and turns that'll make you question your perspective through the entire game. Some twists and turns might also entangle with some other twists leaving a big question mark behind. But for some, a second play through might come in handy to see details unfold in the beginning of the game.

Now to the most important part of all, how does it play? The game still have the same 'push and pull' mechanic from Amnesia(also in Frictional Games earlier series, Penumbra) where you grab a door with the mouse button and then either, push and pull to open it. The same also goes to other object like drawers, levers and valves. This mechanic feel very good and if you are being chased by a monster it's crucial that you know how to close a door behind you in a fast manner to avoid getting eaten.

Speaking of running away it's the only defense you have against the monsters (the few times you encounter them). There are no shotguns to blast the piggies away, just you, your lantern and any crawl space you can find.
    The game removes a lot of things from it's predecessor, things like;

Inventory
    Lantern Oil management
    Picking up random objects (bottles, books etc)
    Mental Health
    Tinderboxes
    Madness when standing in dark places

By removing these things, objectives like solving puzzles are way simpler. When you encounter a zone where a puzzle is, all you have to do is to either, look around for a valve or look for the only object that can be picked up. This is not a good thing. It's too easy and it takes away the immersion the first game had.

They've also took the time to lock almost everything up, many doors, drawers, wardrobes can't be explored at all. When you do find a drawer that can be opened there's only one thing that'll be in that drawer, a note. Yes the only things you pick up in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is notes and puzzle pieces. This sucks, in the original Amnesia you could tear down an entire room, it was great pulling out every book from a drawer -
    or a shelf, maybe there would be something there much more important than a note, oil perhaps? Like I mentioned above the oil management has been removed. You are using an infinite electric lantern that you never have to worry about. This is also a very bad thing. You are not scared when using it, another recent horror game knew that it's important to limit the player 'Safe Object'. Outlast had batteries to it's 'Safe Object' which was a camera. Then you got more things to worry about then just monsters when walking into the darkness.

The monsters in this new Amnesia really lack the true horror that the first game had. It's pigs, with some human modifications, like an arm. Most of the times they will just run past the screen, down on all fours, like a pig. The game always gives away when a pig is approaching too. Like in Silent Hill when your radio came on you knew that monsters where around, in this game your lantern and surrounding lights will start to flicker giving away any potential scare of it. "Why?" you might ask, well it's creepy the first six times it happens but after that it gets repetitive and boring. The very first time you encounter a monster in this game, there's no music and no stinger sound of any kind. It's just a pig, walking around, down on all fours.

Remember the water part in the original Amnesia? Well it returns but with invisible pig ghosts instead! It's not great and I will not go into detail why as it could take me several pages to explain how it doesn't fit in into this game or why it's not scary.
    So all in all the gameplay is about you pushing forward the entire game, turning valves and reading notes.

Now the presentation of this game is where it really shines. The game is filled with very interesting machinery that will make you awe in some spots. Almost every asset in this game is new (sure some assets from the original Amnesia will show up in some spots). The dark descent into the machine is intriguing, almost every section of the machine will be something new to look at, which is really nice. The games soundtrack sound design is also very good.

I wouldn't recommend this game to newcommers of Amnesia. Get the first one and ignore this.
  70. Sep 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cannot understand why most people are underwhelmed by the scare factor in A Machine For Pigs. In all honesty, I found it to be creepier and more fear-inducing than Dark Descent, mainly due to the games inclusion of children and...*shudder*....pigs. In fact, the underlying story was amazingly horrific directly because of the effective use of these elements as its basis. Expand
  71. Oct 4, 2013
    I was looking forward to the sequel to Amnesia The Dark Descent, expecting it to be a horror game like the first one. A machine for pigs is, however, much more like Dear Esther than it is like Amnesia. All the mechanics that made Amnesia Amnesia have been removed. No sanity, no inventory, no interesting puzzles... The game is still dark, but there's no reason to fear it because you start with a latern that won't ever run out of fuel.

The story is decent enough, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested in playing. Aside from that, the game also had a weird stuttering issue at the launch of the game which really broke the immersion. After reading up on it and seeing that Frictional wasn't going to do anything about it, I just stopped playing altogether.

Frictional promised us a frightening game equal or better than the original, but they lied. If they had been honest about it, and at least tried to solve the game's problems (which fans have already done by this time), I might have been more forgiving. Frictional, however, really didn't keep their promises, and seemed not to care when reports of bugs were given.

Frictional, I hope this is the last I hear from you,

One of the fans you cheated.
  72. Oct 5, 2013
    I went into this with high expectations. How couldn't I? Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of my favorite games of all time. But, after a year of waiting, the new developer (The Chinese Room) managed to fall short in every way.
    1. They took the main gameplay of the first game (rationing light sources through tinderboxes and lamp oil) and didn't even bother replacing it with new gameplay.
    The main action in this game is walking around.
    2. They managed to butcher the story in favor of the weird pseudo-poetic exposition used in Dear Esther. Contrary to what they seem to think, this doesn't make the plot nuanced and complex, it only makes it harder to identify with the protagonist. Not to mention the fact that the twist ending is as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.
    3. The removal of the inventory would have still ruined the game even if everything else was great. There are now no items to ration (one of the scariest parts of Amnesia: TDD) and every puzzle has been reduced to dragging and dropping. To prevent player confusion, the amount of interactive objects has been limited to puzzle related items. So, if you find something that is movable, it is for a puzzle. This removes any need for exploration and accentuates the games linearity.

All of that being said, it still isn't too bad an experience for a horror fan. It's just a bad sequel. You can decide for yourself if it is scary enough to compensate for that. Just, try to limit your expectations.
  73. Oct 6, 2013
    Many other reviewers have noted Machine's lack of innovation that ignited the popularity of Dark Descent. While I feel that it was a deviation from those mechanics, there are no new innovations in that area that make up for the lost art of the first game.

This game excels in the area of writing—taking you through the inner-torments of the protagonist through introspective scenes and
    definitive journal entries. The game's puzzles amount to moving levers or items to their appropriate places—that's it. There isn't much of a horror element. I was truthfully scared exactly three times, but I did feel anxious/suspenseful many more times. However, if you start to take-in the game's subtle or not-so-subtle storyline hints and the atmosphere, you may become much more anxious when you start to realize that depth of depravity.

The conflict seems predicable; once you go down far enough, you realize you're transgressing into an existential nightmare—and there will be no way out, which plays along well with the canon. The machinery seems overdone and the pacing becomes very predictable once you load a new zone. If you start to connect the dots, you'll realize how it all will end.

The game is rather short and can be a quick fix for entertainment—it's certainly something to play all the way through at least once. I couldn't fathom any re-playability because of its truly linear storyline. Overall, I give it a 6 out of 10 and mark it as a good bargain buy.
  74. Oct 21, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has a fantastic story but falls short with it's monster encounters. The game's detail and music go great hand in hand. The scare fact of this game relies on you to listen with headphones in a pitch black room around 1-2 AM. The game only takes a few hours to complete so if you're interested in this game then I'd wait for a steam sale. All in all I still enjoyed playing this game and suggest anyone to try it out. Expand
  75. Oct 19, 2013
    I loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not a bad game, not at all! It's great.) but I do understand why there are a lot of people who disagree on that. It's simply not as scary, there's no more sanity system and you can barely interact with any objects. But only because it's being compared to the first game it ís the sequel so you'll do that automatically, of course the game seems to bad. But in my personal opinion I loved it. Expand
  76. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is better and worst than The Dark Descent.
    The story it's very good but hard to understand,but no accidentally,the creators made the story be spelled in some lately parts,and in the other they concentrate on game play.
    The scare factor is made by the atmosphere and the monsters that appear at some times.
    I personally didn't like that they limited what you can hold,so you can
    tell this game is for no brain-ers,because it simply tells you that you can use that but not that.
    The ending was a bit obscure and mysterious,and i didn't understand everything.
    I don't think someone will waste his time with a custom story,because it's no inventory,no sanity and no oil,the notes are too long and some of them are useless.
    But cool game if you like puzzle adventure with a bit of horror.
  77. Oct 28, 2013
    While not being as great as the original Amnesia, it still keeps you immersed and manages to keep you scared and interested in the story. If you're an Amnesia fan, then this game should be able to keep you entertained, despite the 3-4 hour story
  78. Nov 1, 2013
    Not what you expected. It lingers very far from the origins of Amnesia, less focused on horror and more focused on detailed story-telling. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes me question why this game was under the Amnesia name all this time. The non-scripted horror interactions are minimal, the overall ability to interact with the world around you is minimal, and there's no sort of inventory or loot system. It's not like the first Amnesia, in many bad ways, but at the same time it feels like it manages to do well enough of a job on its own right as its own game.

It's a good game, but it's not a good Amnesia game. If you expected a true successor to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you won't find it here. If you're looking for a similar, but different experience, then definitely pick this up.
  79. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well congrats two frictional and Chinese room for making the biggest disappointment in the world. This game took me 5 hours to beat, i was taking my time reading the notes and listening to the recordings. No replay value at all. And it doesn't look like custom stories are coming out ever. The game looked like it took a lot of work to make. unfortunately it want scary, didn't have an impressive story, no physiological scares, and no replay value. Expand
  80. Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where you can freely explore every room and every corner without much hinderance or fear. It is a departure from The Dark Descent, but it works.

The horror in A Dark Descent came from the monster that was chasing you, always hurrying you along. It was very action driven. In A Machine For Pigs, the horror is much more passive. It's in the setting, the atmosphere and the story the game tells, much more than it is in the game's mechanics. And that is where The Chinese Room fits in so well. They are masters at crafting a setting that will utterly disturb you. The visuals are superb, the design of the machine is morbid, the writing in the notes and voice-overs of a quality that surpasses that of The Dark Descent... And the audio is nothing short of amazing, with a haunting soundtrack and ambient sounds that make the setting really come to life.

The game is quite short. You can finish it in 4 to 5 hours. It starts a bit slow, the beginning has a few jump-scares and a setting that is reminiscent of A Dark Descent. But once you leave the starting area and get to explore said machine from the title, the game really comes into its own. I felt The Dark Descent overstayed its welcome a bit, the latter part of the game became more tedious and it ended on a low note. Not so with A Machine For Pigs. It gets increasingly more intense as you progress and continues to build up to a final, horrifying climax.

Ultimately I think A Machine For Pigs is better than The Dark Descent. Sure it is less nerve wrecking to play, but the horror is more subtle, refined and much more unsettling. And it will stay with you once you've finished it.
  81. Nov 16, 2013
    Despite that this sequel denies some mechanics of the predecessor, it shows a scary atmosphere with an interesting story. It's not a "perfect sequel", but will satisfy you. VIRTUALINN.IT
  82. Jan 22, 2014
    Es un juego muy absorbente que te mantiene en constante tensión y enganchado a la trama. Sus puntos fuertes son, sobretodo los sobresaltos, la ambientación (bestial) y la trama (bastante mejor que la primera entrega). Sus puntos débiles serían: no es de terror (al menos no da la sensación total que yo buscaba), que no estuviera doblado en español (sepa o no ingles, me gusta enterarme bien de la trama con mi lenguaje materno) y por último que a pesar de ser corto en algunos tramos el juego se vuelve absurdo en el sentido de que no sabes a veces porque estas haciendo esto y aquello. En conclusión, Amnesia 2 es un gran juego de tensión y sobresaltos, pero que no llega a satisfacer lo suficiente, igualmente lo recomiendo mas que el primer amnesia. Expand
  83. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall this game had a pretty good atmosphere, but there were aspects that I felt it was missing that I enjoyed from the first Amnesia. There is no sanity meter, and there is no inventory. This means that there is no way to light up various areas other than the use of your lamp. It also means that there is no need to explore, as there is no running out of important tools, and there is very little that you have to look for. The Dark Descent definitely hit the nail on the head in terms of scare and suspense, and I think that MFP came up a little bit lacking, as there is none of the "How many tinderboxes do I have? Will I be able to make it through this area in the dark, while my sanity slowly goes down?". The game still has its moments, but there are fewer enemies on the map, and once you come to this realization, the game becomes less frightening. The ending of the games gives players something to think about as it has some insight into how our world may actually be, but I'll let you play it to find that out.

Overall a good experience, but it was lacking some of the aspects that made Amnesia: The Dark Descent so good.
  84. Nov 28, 2013
    Different, yes, but still a damn fine game. Easily more disturbing than the first game, and the gameplay operates well. And holy f*ck, the manpigs...

It's easy to become immersed in this game, and I admit I don't mind the lack of oil, tinderboxes and sanity being gone. Overall, it is excellent. I love it.
  85. Dec 5, 2013
    Play the first amnesia and hell even the penumbra games were better than this. 2-4 hours is unacceptable for the "game play" provided.

The game wasn't scary, the AI is stupid. I ended up running past most of the AI because they are virtually harmless and it became a game of cat and mouse. The puzzles were mind numbingly easy to the point where you see fuses right beside the empty fuse
    box.

Don't waste your money, hell even get outlast which was wayyyy bettter compared to this.
  86. Dec 15, 2013
    All the main elements of the game had been taken away, such as sanity meter, darkness, scarcity of oil and tinderboxes. Pigs in the game were clumsy and were more than easy to avoid. After a one year of hype and excitement the game was a huge disappointment for many of my friends (only 1½ to 2 hours of gameplay). Good things about the game was that the puzzles were easy and obvious so complete so that the player couldn't get stuck easily, voice acting was good and the graphics were better than the previous game. Expand
  87. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surely different from Amnesia: TDD, mainly because it wasn't created in collaboration as the first one had been. In this series, the game takes on a different focus, where the story is more important than the actual puzzle. Its not as interactive taking out many of the key component seen in The Dark Decent. However, without these components the player is more focused on the story rather than trying to find more oil, and I assume that is what the creators of the game was going for. This game differs being that its more of a Edgar Allen Poe kind of fear, which is far more profound rather than skin chilling scary. I can't say the main story line of Machine for Pigs was as scary, but I did enjoy the poetic beauty of the game and the environment. The game definitely leaves you thinking, although the puzzles aren't as challenging, the connection for the character and player are more synchronized. I would definitely like to see another Amnesia, but with more of a combination between Dark Decent and Machine for Pigs. Expand
  88. Dec 30, 2013
    Without going into long detail, i'll just say a few things. This game barely feels like an Amnesia game. I was disappointed with the enemies, of which there is a hilariously low number of encounters with. The game is short. I beat it in 4 hours.

However, the story, gameplay (besides enemies), and environments were very good. I would recommend this at a discounted price. It was
    definitely not worth $16.

To conclude, don't expect the true sequel to Amnesia: TDD. Instead, think of it as an experiment with questionable results.
  89. Jan 6, 2014
    I had read mixed reviews on this game, so took the chance being that I enjoyed their last two games. You win some, you lose some; this was a loss. From practically the first moment of the game when I heard the horrible British accents with the ghostly echo effect, I suspected the game was going to be crap. At first I couldn't believe it: could it be THIS bad? So, I wonder about this tediously boring house with nothing but doors and more doors and still more doors, leading nearly nowhere to practically nothing. Finally made it out of the house...it will get good now, right? Nope. More of the same. Eventually I just gave up, realizing that if there actually was anything good to happen later on in the game, I was longer was willing to put in more bleh time to get there. The game had a couple of good things going: the atmospheric sounds were good, and there was a decent plot going with the mysterious caller, as well as a somewhat interesting log you read as you went along. All in all, a very poor showing; the next time they make a game like this with so many negative reviews, I will pay much closer attention to them. Expand
  90. Jan 1, 2014
    Fantastic game, with very powerful and memorable moments. The critique that the gameplay is not very challenging is fair, you should really approach this game as an interactive movie and take the time to soak in all the little details and get immersed. If you want to sink in a man's personal purgatory you won't be disappointed.

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed
    and too simple, that is a fair critique too. There are reveals, but not really any big twists. The beauty of the story is the elaboration and exploration of what you initially suspect, and by the time you see you already know.

I can't recommend it enough, really. It is a brilliant work.
  91. Jul 18, 2014
    Is this a game? Seems most an interactive movie. It takes almost half of the game to encounter an enemy and even thereafter action doesn't grow much. Puzzles are mostly boring and very basic, they won't challenge you. Positive points are the atmosphere and the the way the story is slowly enveiled, slowly letting you in.
  92. May 18, 2014
    Many have waited long for the next installment of the "Amnesia" indie horror series. And then fans received "A Machine for Pigs". The game was an incredible disappointment. All elements that were loved in "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" were removed such as: the health and sanity meters, the long, challenging puzzles, and the terrifying monsters. Now, It feels like every other generic jump-scare game. Everything that made the "Amnesia" series unique has been removed. Hopefully, Frictional Games will think of a way to revive the much-loved series. Expand
  93. Jun 22, 2014
    Quite a let down in comparison to The Dark Descent. The story is at least more interesting but thats about it. They removed a lot of the mechanics that made Amensia good. Its like if Nintendo took away the powerups from Mario, and you just ran through the whole level with powerups but just avoid the enemies. Thats pretty much Machine for Pigs, all the insanity and resource management is gone.

I'd avoid this game.
  94. Jun 23, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but it was missing a lot of the constant, changing scares that The Dark Descent had. It starts out VERY slow, with some very basic scares that barely tend to scare you. This game excels in creepy atmosphere, however. And the monsters do come around before the middle of the game, at least. Which is good. I thought this game was excellent but certainly wasn't the best that Frictional normally puts out, like Penumbra (which is still my scariest game personally) and The Dark Descent. I'd still recommend a buy. Expand
  95. Jul 8, 2014
    This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0? Fine. I'll give this game a 10, just to counter your ridiculous belief on how a game "should" be. Expand
  96. Nov 3, 2014
    I'd like to preface this by saying I didn't go into playing this game expecting the same gameplay and mechanics as The Dark Descent. I figured it would be more about telling a story than interacting with a creepy environment. Don't get me wrong, the environment in A Machine for Pigs is definitely creepy, and there are puzzles, but I just think where The Dark Descent did well with gameplay, this addition to the series did very well with telling a gruesome story. I do recommend you give it a playthrough. Expand
  97. Nov 3, 2014
    It has no the same horror of the first game, bot it still good, the story is macabre and disturbing, is the story of a guy than deep into a depression, and the enemies are so disturbing
  98. Nov 6, 2014
    Horrible game. Boring story, just walking around, not scary at all. Great graphics, but that is not the important part. I hoped that i was near the end when i played this game, so i runned through everything that is "scary*.

I was very disappointed.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs is a well made and impressive game with a thorough thematic design and atmosphere. As a horror game it is rather spartan yet brilliant in that it let’s your brain conjure most of its horrors. Unfortunately it comes with a rather numbing effect that makes later parts of the game feel more formulaic and not as scary.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    With problematic pacing and a complete lack of the horror element -that was the highlight of the first game- A Machine for Pigs didn't meet our expectations.
    A perfect clash of Dear Esther and Amnesia, focused on straining your nerves while easing - perhaps a tad too much - on the interaction and gameplay. [Issue#234]