5.7

1. Sep 25, 2014
    They took out the inventory and sanity meter, you don't have to worry about oil, and you can hardy interact with ANYTHING.
    They removed everything that made Amnesia, Amnesia. Now it's virtually Dear Esther with Amnesia slapped in the title.
    What do you know, The Chinese Room has made another flop. Working with them was a HUGE mistake and I hope Frictional Games doesn't do it again.
  2. Sep 15, 2014
    Do you want a trully unique horror experience? Then grab this game, because the horror in there is not based on simple jump-scares, but rather on terrifying story! The story presented in this game is a true masterpiece, bautifuly voice-acted with awesome soundtrack. Atmosphere is dark and disturbing. Just play it in night with a candle and you will see :)
  3. Aug 11, 2014
    Why a pigs machine, it's not supposed to be an ordinary puzzle game. It is okay but I'm afraid the developers have already shown everything they have in The Dark Descent.
  4. Jul 20, 2014
    Te first Amesia took the atmosphere of the first Alone in the dark with a modern gameplay, it was a good mix of action and story. This one is really boring, excluding the first part with nice earthquakes effect really scary thanks to the really good sound effects. After that the game become BORING with 4 or 5 monsters in the whole game resembling BEbop from ninja turtles grunting at you. The graphic is really bad also for a 10 year old game, i can accept lowpoly model but not so many lowres textures.
    There is no exploration part, you can walk around only to find few notes or sometimes a mechanic part for a stupid puzzle.
    The only good news is the sounds and musics create most of the scary atmosphere in the game.
    Next time could be better if The CHinese Room doesn't break the balls and makes his own crappy games.
  5. Jul 18, 2014
    Is this a game? Seems most an interactive movie. It takes almost half of the game to encounter an enemy and even thereafter action doesn't grow much. Puzzles are mostly boring and very basic, they won't challenge you. Positive points are the atmosphere and the the way the story is slowly enveiled, slowly letting you in.
  6. Jul 8, 2014
    This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0? Fine. I'll give this game a 10, just to counter your ridiculous belief on how a game "should" be. Expand
  7. Jun 23, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but it was missing a lot of the constant, changing scares that The Dark Descent had. It starts out VERY slow, with some very basic scares that barely tend to scare you. This game excels in creepy atmosphere, however. And the monsters do come around before the middle of the game, at least. Which is good. I thought this game was excellent but certainly wasn't the best that Frictional normally puts out, like Penumbra (which is still my scariest game personally) and The Dark Descent. I'd still recommend a buy. Expand
  8. Jun 22, 2014
    Quite a let down in comparison to The Dark Descent. The story is at least more interesting but thats about it. They removed a lot of the mechanics that made Amensia good. Its like if Nintendo took away the powerups from Mario, and you just ran through the whole level with powerups but just avoid the enemies. Thats pretty much Machine for Pigs, all the insanity and resource management is gone.

I'd avoid this game.
  9. May 18, 2014
    Many have waited long for the next installment of the "Amnesia" indie horror series. And then fans received "A Machine for Pigs". The game was an incredible disappointment. All elements that were loved in "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" were removed such as: the health and sanity meters, the long, challenging puzzles, and the terrifying monsters. Now, It feels like every other generic jump-scare game. Everything that made the "Amnesia" series unique has been removed. Hopefully, Frictional Games will think of a way to revive the much-loved series. Expand
  10. Apr 9, 2014
    I only want to say a few things about this: 1) My vocabulary was increased whilst playing this game. Thanks Frictional, I learned a bunch of new words, yay me! 2) And all you need to know, is I have never played a single player game and wanted it to end so badly and for so long - only to have it drag on for hours as I began my sprint to the finish far too soon. Just not even CLOSE to A Dark Descent. Expand
  11. Mar 14, 2014
    This game was very disappointing. I didn't even finish the game because it was so boring. Amnesia the dark descent was a great sucess, but this game was just a whole disappointing.
  12. Feb 16, 2014
    On of the best games I have played, Other reviews are saying that they played the first 30 minutes and quit, to fully get the game you have to play through it, it gets so much scarier. In my eyes you have to fully play a game to review it
  13. Feb 16, 2014
    Pure Disappointment...
    Where are the puzzles where you had to collect things and combine them?
    They really took away all the fun of the game by letting you interact only with a handful of items...
    Amnesia The Dark Descent was all about smashing pots and throwing chairs all over the place to overcome your fear about the truly terrifying monsters and moving every little stone until you
    find the solution to the puzzle!
    It was fun searching for tinder or oil and opening all drawers and cupboards in your way too!
    Machine For Pigs has really fancy graphics, with lots of moments that make you chill through the combination of beautiful scenery and music, but that's all about it...
    Waste of money... As a big fan of Frictional Games' series I am sad cause i expected much more from this game after waiting for a long time! I hope they won't disappoint us on their next try or sequel...
  14. Feb 2, 2014
    A lot of people told me that this game is no Amnesia anymore, and they were right. It's much better! This game fascinates me in so many different ways. Soundtrack, atmosphere and gameplay are just amazing and it had the most powerful story I've ever encountered! Everybody should give it a try and I promise that you'll have the time of your life.
  15. Jan 28, 2014
    Not even scary... A huge disappoitment for me. This game has lots of bugs and one of them was that in one part of the game when the watermonster was chasing me. It wasn't in water but was still able to chase me. Then the pigs just look stupid and walk like idiots. only scary thing about this game was the noises that pigs made. The thing i hated most was the place where i had to find 3 strange bottle things and put them in to strange machine... But i was able to put only one of them and i was stuck because i was supposed to not find all of those bottle things. YEAH that wasn't the thing you were supposed to do. After you have placed one of them in to that machine there suddently just appears path somewhere. How was i supposed to know that? Expand
  16. Jan 22, 2014
    Es un juego muy absorbente que te mantiene en constante tensión y enganchado a la trama. Sus puntos fuertes son, sobretodo los sobresaltos, la ambientación (bestial) y la trama (bastante mejor que la primera entrega). Sus puntos débiles serían: no es de terror (al menos no da la sensación total que yo buscaba), que no estuviera doblado en español (sepa o no ingles, me gusta enterarme bien de la trama con mi lenguaje materno) y por último que a pesar de ser corto en algunos tramos el juego se vuelve absurdo en el sentido de que no sabes a veces porque estas haciendo esto y aquello. En conclusión, Amnesia 2 es un gran juego de tensión y sobresaltos, pero que no llega a satisfacer lo suficiente, igualmente lo recomiendo mas que el primer amnesia. Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2014
    What a sorry excuse for a sequel. First off, this game completely removed all of the gameplay features we saw in the first entry such as puzzles, inventory, sanity meter, health meter, lantern oil etc. The enemies are not a threat at all, they are easy to avoid, cause little damage when encountered, and even if you die you just revive instantly right where you left off essentially leaving this game with no challenge what-so-ever. The game is painfully short, you can beat it start to finish in a 3 hour sitting.

Now that we've established this game is devoid of any threat, challenge or gameplay, is the story at least worth it? Nope. The plot is convoluted, poorly paced, and told through a series of badly written notes that utilize a borderline incomprehensible and pretentious dialogue. While Amnesia neatly closed the book of it's story, A Machine for Pigs will leave you scratching your head with more questions than answers and feeling like you just read a series of snobby poetry excerpts rather than a cohesive story.

I feel ripped off and angry that I supported such a weak effort, I barely ever write reviews but feel I need to warn people of making the same mistake. Avoid like the plague. Replay the first one, or play Outlast if you're looking for a horror fix.
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    short game,stupid few puzzles,only about 8 monsters that you gonna see,no sanity,no tinderboxes,no INVENTROY,only one place in the game that scared me and the game is not f**kin SCARY.
    and i can not call it Amnesia either.
    all i have to do now is continue playing the awesome first amnesia and hope for the game to come back to its roots.
  19. Jan 6, 2014
    I had read mixed reviews on this game, so took the chance being that I enjoyed their last two games. You win some, you lose some; this was a loss. From practically the first moment of the game when I heard the horrible British accents with the ghostly echo effect, I suspected the game was going to be crap. At first I couldn't believe it: could it be THIS bad? So, I wonder about this tediously boring house with nothing but doors and more doors and still more doors, leading nearly nowhere to practically nothing. Finally made it out of the house...it will get good now, right? Nope. More of the same. Eventually I just gave up, realizing that if there actually was anything good to happen later on in the game, I was longer was willing to put in more bleh time to get there. The game had a couple of good things going: the atmospheric sounds were good, and there was a decent plot going with the mysterious caller, as well as a somewhat interesting log you read as you went along. All in all, a very poor showing; the next time they make a game like this with so many negative reviews, I will pay much closer attention to them. Expand
  20. Jan 1, 2014
    Fantastic game, with very powerful and memorable moments. The critique that the gameplay is not very challenging is fair, you should really approach this game as an interactive movie and take the time to soak in all the little details and get immersed. If you want to sink in a man's personal purgatory you won't be disappointed.

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed
    and too simple, that is a fair critique too. There are reveals, but not really any big twists. The beauty of the story is the elaboration and exploration of what you initially suspect, and by the time you see you already know.

I can't recommend it enough, really. It is a brilliant work.
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    Without going into long detail, i'll just say a few things. This game barely feels like an Amnesia game. I was disappointed with the enemies, of which there is a hilariously low number of encounters with. The game is short. I beat it in 4 hours.

However, the story, gameplay (besides enemies), and environments were very good. I would recommend this at a discounted price. It was
    definitely not worth $16.

To conclude, don't expect the true sequel to Amnesia: TDD. Instead, think of it as an experiment with questionable results.
  22. Dec 29, 2013
    This biggest mistake was putting "Amnesia" in the title. Though it did begin as just a custom story for Amnesia: The Dark Decent, it does not uphold to the standard The Dark Decent put in place. I feel I put unfair expectations on A Machine for Pigs simply because of "Amnesia". With that it mind, it does have it's own charm.

With the removal of the inventory menu and a few other
    mechanics, AMFP focuses very much more on story than it's predecessor. Where it failed to scare me, it's interesting story and world had me absorbed throughout the entire game. Enough to where I played it all nonstop in one sitting. It is short and, as far as I know, lacks the custom story option on the main menu that DD had, but I feel that it's setting and story excuses that. I would recommend this game to someone who was too scared to play the first Amnesia game, but still wants to try. And to those who were Dark Decent fans, please approach this game with an open mind you would have with a stand alone game or custom story. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surely different from Amnesia: TDD, mainly because it wasn't created in collaboration as the first one had been. In this series, the game takes on a different focus, where the story is more important than the actual puzzle. Its not as interactive taking out many of the key component seen in The Dark Decent. However, without these components the player is more focused on the story rather than trying to find more oil, and I assume that is what the creators of the game was going for. This game differs being that its more of a Edgar Allen Poe kind of fear, which is far more profound rather than skin chilling scary. I can't say the main story line of Machine for Pigs was as scary, but I did enjoy the poetic beauty of the game and the environment. The game definitely leaves you thinking, although the puzzles aren't as challenging, the connection for the character and player are more synchronized. I would definitely like to see another Amnesia, but with more of a combination between Dark Decent and Machine for Pigs. Expand
  24. Dec 15, 2013
    All the main elements of the game had been taken away, such as sanity meter, darkness, scarcity of oil and tinderboxes. Pigs in the game were clumsy and were more than easy to avoid. After a one year of hype and excitement the game was a huge disappointment for many of my friends (only 1½ to 2 hours of gameplay). Good things about the game was that the puzzles were easy and obvious so complete so that the player couldn't get stuck easily, voice acting was good and the graphics were better than the previous game. Expand
  25. Dec 5, 2013
    Play the first amnesia and hell even the penumbra games were better than this. 2-4 hours is unacceptable for the "game play" provided.

The game wasn't scary, the AI is stupid. I ended up running past most of the AI because they are virtually harmless and it became a game of cat and mouse. The puzzles were mind numbingly easy to the point where you see fuses right beside the empty fuse
    box.

Don't waste your money, hell even get outlast which was wayyyy bettter compared to this.
  26. Nov 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

First off players need to set their expectations. This is more of a physiological thriller and dark mystery with tons of symbolism and history rolled up into it. It's not going to give you the sense of terror and helplessness that the Dark Descent gave you, but it's still a fantastic game, and extremely well thought out. The
    atmosphere and soundtrack are stunning, and the dreadful, melancholy sense of "wtf are these people doing?" prevails throughout the game.

Yes the monsters are easy and so are the puzzles, but the story here was so good I personally appreciated that as I did not want to waste time and wanted to advance the story line. Speaking of which it has a few twists and turns along the way which was a welcome surprise.

I think the problem alot of the negative reviews are having is they had a different expectation of the game, as if it were to be the Dark Descent part 2. This game reminds me alot of when the movie Sixth Sense came out, then was followed up by another brilliant movie Unbreakable. Two completely different movies but some fans wanted to see another Sixth Sense. Vanilla and chocolate, both great flavors and we can enjoy both.

Finally if you were a fan of Dear Esther, you will absolutely love this game. What I liked about this and Dear Esther were the emotional responses they drew, and the physiological metaphors embedded throughout the story.

Not sure how many caught it but that subliminal pig head that barely flashed on the screen for a second, as you went into one of the lifts, was freakin awesome.

I hope that Frictional continues with the Amnesia franchise, as these games have to be some of the most well-written ever. A Machine for Pigs is a solid contribution to the series.
  27. Nov 29, 2013
    I was so excited to play a sequel to Amnesia: TDD However, within the first thirty minutes of the game I realized it was complete crap. The overuse of jumpscares and the overall boring atmosphere quickly bored me. The game is so tedious, no inventory system no anything really. All it was was a walking game with a million spooky sounds. The game was so uninteresting that an hour in I got so bored that I uninstalled the game and hope I can erase it from my memory. It was a complete waste of my time. I don't see how the developers could be proud of this. I think I'll go back to the original Amnesia and play all the fun custom stories.

Bottom line, I would not recommend this to anyone even if the game was completely free. Its one of those games that shouldn't exist.
  28. Nov 28, 2013
    Different, yes, but still a damn fine game. Easily more disturbing than the first game, and the gameplay operates well. And holy f*ck, the manpigs...

It's easy to become immersed in this game, and I admit I don't mind the lack of oil, tinderboxes and sanity being gone. Overall, it is excellent. I love it.
  29. Nov 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As several other reviewers have already discussed, this game is not its predecessor and should not be viewed along the same lines. First a comparison and a redundant spoiler warning.

ADD was a "gamer's game;" it had an inventory, puzzles requiring metagame logic and the sanity/stealth feature which required the use of darkness as a strategic tool with benefits and risks associated with it. Frictional made the decisions to implement these game features based upon ADD's spiritual predecessors, the Penumbra games.

In producing AAMP, Frictional and TheChineseRoom made several conscious decisions to reduce the degree to which you could interact with the environment. The purpose of these changes was to to streamline the gameplay experience and to reduce breaches in immersion. In this regard, as other reviews have also rightly pointed out, the game should be compared more to something along the lines of Dear Esther, or TCR's less well known work, Korsakovia. While I was personally disappointed in the change of pace, having enjoyed ADD's strategic use of darkness and the level of ingenuity we saw develop in the protagonist through his usage of inventory items in creative ways, I am not reviewing AAMP as if it had tried and failed to be ADD.

I will say that the graphics were attractive and eerie; as always, Jessica Curry's score and soundscape were absolutely brilliant. Dan Pinchbeck's writing, however, was cliche and stale, although still head and shoulders above most of the writing to which we are subjected by out beloved gaming industry.

The reason I'm giving this game a 3/10 is quite simple: the game is extremely inconsistent. In attempts to frighten, it throws the threat of monsters, social anarchy, your own insanity, the death of your family and even the supernatural at you, yet even an hour+ into the game (two to three if you are fully immersed and cautious), nothing has happened to you. More particularly, nothing could have happened to you. The number of times in the game in which you could actually encounter a monster rather than an audio or visual jump scare are extremely slim. All of the actual monster encounters are extremely predictable (the game actually develops the habit of clearly warning you when enemies are present). Once the player realizes this (which does not take long), the immersion is gone and the game becomes an exercise in tedium.

Furthermore, despite the emphasis on plot and immersion versus "actual" interactive gameplay, the plot is predictable and ham-handedly portrayed and the game ends in two events which could only really be considered boss fights. Without going into details, they are prescripted survival events in which you have to directly dodge enemies without being able to hide and maneuver around them to accomplished objectives. This necessity of direct intervention completely flies in the face of the entire image which the game is attempting to uphold.

Finally, I cannot help but consider the poorly-handled release of this game. It came out a year late and ultimately did not live up to a year of anticipation.

Though I remain an avid supporter of both Frictional and TheChineseRoom, they dropped the ball on this one. I look forward to future productions from both of them and hope that they can learn from the mistakes made in the production of this game.
  30. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall this game had a pretty good atmosphere, but there were aspects that I felt it was missing that I enjoyed from the first Amnesia. There is no sanity meter, and there is no inventory. This means that there is no way to light up various areas other than the use of your lamp. It also means that there is no need to explore, as there is no running out of important tools, and there is very little that you have to look for. The Dark Descent definitely hit the nail on the head in terms of scare and suspense, and I think that MFP came up a little bit lacking, as there is none of the "How many tinderboxes do I have? Will I be able to make it through this area in the dark, while my sanity slowly goes down?". The game still has its moments, but there are fewer enemies on the map, and once you come to this realization, the game becomes less frightening. The ending of the games gives players something to think about as it has some insight into how our world may actually be, but I'll let you play it to find that out.

Overall a good experience, but it was lacking some of the aspects that made Amnesia: The Dark Descent so good.
  31. Nov 16, 2013
    Despite that this sequel denies some mechanics of the predecessor, it shows a scary atmosphere with an interesting story. It's not a "perfect sequel", but will satisfy you. VIRTUALINN.IT
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where you can freely explore every room and every corner without much hinderance or fear. It is a departure from The Dark Descent, but it works.

The horror in A Dark Descent came from the monster that was chasing you, always hurrying you along. It was very action driven. In A Machine For Pigs, the horror is much more passive. It's in the setting, the atmosphere and the story the game tells, much more than it is in the game's mechanics. And that is where The Chinese Room fits in so well. They are masters at crafting a setting that will utterly disturb you. The visuals are superb, the design of the machine is morbid, the writing in the notes and voice-overs of a quality that surpasses that of The Dark Descent... And the audio is nothing short of amazing, with a haunting soundtrack and ambient sounds that make the setting really come to life.

The game is quite short. You can finish it in 4 to 5 hours. It starts a bit slow, the beginning has a few jump-scares and a setting that is reminiscent of A Dark Descent. But once you leave the starting area and get to explore said machine from the title, the game really comes into its own. I felt The Dark Descent overstayed its welcome a bit, the latter part of the game became more tedious and it ended on a low note. Not so with A Machine For Pigs. It gets increasingly more intense as you progress and continues to build up to a final, horrifying climax.

Ultimately I think A Machine For Pigs is better than The Dark Descent. Sure it is less nerve wrecking to play, but the horror is more subtle, refined and much more unsettling. And it will stay with you once you've finished it.
  33. Nov 8, 2013
    I hesitated a little while giving this game a 10. I had eagerly waited for this game for about 1.6 years and I had no experience on what chineseroom was master at. The first part of Amnesia-series, 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent', was frictionalgame's way into the world of Amnesia. Chineseroom's way is more of a storytelling one. It's not gameplay, but the aesthetics they had created. The background story is incredible, but due to the missing feeling the first Amnesia-game was famous of, this game is a bit different. It's not as challenging, scary, disturbing or brutal as the first part. Therefore a rating of 7 should do well, because though it's a good game for my personal experience, it doesn't honor the first part of the Amnesia-series. Expand
  34. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well congrats two frictional and Chinese room for making the biggest disappointment in the world. This game took me 5 hours to beat, i was taking my time reading the notes and listening to the recordings. No replay value at all. And it doesn't look like custom stories are coming out ever. The game looked like it took a lot of work to make. unfortunately it want scary, didn't have an impressive story, no physiological scares, and no replay value. Expand
  35. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never have I been so disappointed in such a finely made game. Yes, you've read correctly. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs from an aesthetic standpoint is well done. The artwork, with the exception of some bland or dodgy areas for certain locations, is wonderfully done. The sound design is excellent, easily one of the best among indie titles. The score, while having bombastic, clumsy instances, fits the depressing tone that Machine for Pigs aims for. The voice work is strong, though some may complain about the obnoxious children. And lets be honest here, what child isn't obnoxious? What's wrong with Machine for Pigs is not the design. No, the problem goes much deeper than that. It seems after hours of touching up decour, writing scripts, designing loading screens, banging metallic things together in a foley studio, they forgot to design an actual GAME around the project. In fact, it seems as if fleshing out the gameplay was the last thing on the developers' priority list. It's akin to devoting several days to wrapping a present. You pick the right wrapping paper, make sure the fold is perfect, put bows, strings, glitter, and whatever fancy crap on it. But when the recipient finally unwraps everything, they're left with a pet rock. The game played like a disappointment because it starts out promising. Amnesia? Check. Nihilistic, depressing story? Check. Journal Entries/Backstory? Check. Motivation? Check. Intriguing mystery? Check. What could go wrong? Well, everything. First off, the game is at its best when you know absolutely nothing. You're wandering around your mansion, strange things are happening, and you have no idea what answers are in store for you. The mansion too is one of the best looking locations in the game, which is kind of unfortunate as some locations are bland by comparison. As you start to get deeper into the machine and story, the answers to the supposed mystery become more and more disappointing. You'll find yourself asking why they chose to make the story flow in such an obvious fashion. It was almost like there was absolutely no twist or curve ball you couldn't guess hours before it was officially stated in the context of the narrative. "Durrr, you mean my kids aren't still alive, trapped in a machine?" "Durrr, you mean I killed the kids myself?" "Durrr, you mean the machine feeds on people?" "Durrr, you mean I was the saboteur all along?" And just when you thought it couldn't get any more obvious, it becomes ridiculous. Moments after discovering that you were the saboteur, undoing what you had intended to do initially, you immediately return to becoming the saboteur again... but for reals this time! Then you... magically teleport from one location to another, and encounter pigmen who happen to have the exact same ability. Not that teleporting pigmen actually inconvenience you in the slightest. Then you... have pretentious hallucinations about your kids, rife with symbolism and obnoxious score. It's like something straight out of a bad arthouse film. At this point in the game, I felt that it was no longer trying to hold my interest or attention. It was like Machine for Pigs thought its core message was so profound and meaningful that it had to jerk itself off a little and bathe in its own perceived afterglow. I was buying none of that and slogged my way to the predictably disappointing ending. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth. Oh, and I didn't even mention the game aspect of this gold encrusted turd. You have a lamp with an endless supply of oil, no health or sanity to manage, no inventory, minimal puzzle solving, and laughable monster interactions. I must have died once my entire playthough and it was entirely inconsequential. I spawned near where I died and the monster was no where in sight. Completely contradictory to the first Amnesia, where any death hindered progress. The monsters are also a disappointment. Not only are they not frightening in the slightest, there are points in the game where you can view them in isolation, allowing the player to see them for prolonged periods of time without danger. I understand that the whole idea of the scene in question was to allow for the player to sympathize with the creatures but that's not something that you do in a game where you're supposed to be afraid of the unknown menace lurking around in the darkness. So, congratulations The Chinese Room: You have managed to create a beautiful, anti-horror, anti-game, psychological horror... experience! If you care at all about the Amnesia series, play this one if it goes on sale just keep the expectations to a minimum if you want to complete it. Otherwise, I suggest you only play Amnesia: The Dark Descent or any of the Penumbra titles. Expand
  36. Nov 3, 2013
    When the first time world saw Amnesia: The Dark Descent, It got the best reviews and the best marketing program there is possible to get. It's a shame that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs just can't handle the hype it got before release. I, myself waited this game 2 years to come and.. yeah! It is what it is. The Graphics are just magnificent, Story and storytelling is just pure awesomeness, but this game isn't scary enough and the atmosphere isn't the best possible. I don't want to spoil anything and I still think the game is worth of buying, so I recommend to experience it still. I think it might be better if you don't have that overhyped mind when you first time start it.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs truly is worth of money but sadly can't handle the hype behind it
  37. Nov 2, 2013
    A technical failure for me. With all the supposed fixes out there nothing helped with my stuttering and freeze's. I pushed through all that to see what this game is like. All of the game-play that made Dark Descent is stripped away. There is no sanity meter, tinderboxes for candles, limited oil for lantern, and no inventory. It is mostly just a linear walk in the park type game. Thank god I got the torrent of this game first. Otherwise, I would have been pissed about the money I spent. Expand
  38. Nov 2, 2013
    Definitely worse than the first Amnesia game. You just run thru endless dark rooms and collect some notes. No gameplay whatsoever. Oh, you can throw chairs around. To the game's credit, there is some artistic style and classic music playing at some places, but this doesn't compensate for the global boredom this game brings. I just wonder why anyone would want to make like this, after seeing such great examples like Fallout or Deus Ex which came 10-15 years before. The person who designed this piece of junk definitely has nothing to do with games and doesn't know the word "gameplay". Gee, this so-called game would be worthless even if it were free. Expand
  39. Nov 1, 2013
    Not what you expected. It lingers very far from the origins of Amnesia, less focused on horror and more focused on detailed story-telling. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes me question why this game was under the Amnesia name all this time. The non-scripted horror interactions are minimal, the overall ability to interact with the world around you is minimal, and there's no sort of inventory or loot system. It's not like the first Amnesia, in many bad ways, but at the same time it feels like it manages to do well enough of a job on its own right as its own game.

It's a good game, but it's not a good Amnesia game. If you expected a true successor to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you won't find it here. If you're looking for a similar, but different experience, then definitely pick this up.
  40. Oct 30, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs (AMfP) shows how badly can games end, if the original studio doesn't work on a sequel as well. Atmosphere and focus on enviorements and personal storyline of the main protagonist (antagonist?) is a great idea, but the lack of interaction, puzzles and any form of gameplay mechanics really turns this game into boring corridor stroller. It has much better enviorments and interesting victorian London locations, but that is all. Fear and horror gets repetitive after while. I would much rather suggest investing in Outlast, but I have faith in the community. It shouldn't be hard to make more atmosferic story with better scenario, than the original made by devs. Expand
  41. Oct 28, 2013
    While not being as great as the original Amnesia, it still keeps you immersed and manages to keep you scared and interested in the story. If you're an Amnesia fan, then this game should be able to keep you entertained, despite the 3-4 hour story
  42. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is better and worst than The Dark Descent.
    The story it's very good but hard to understand,but no accidentally,the creators made the story be spelled in some lately parts,and in the other they concentrate on game play.
    The scare factor is made by the atmosphere and the monsters that appear at some times.
    I personally didn't like that they limited what you can hold,so you can
    tell this game is for no brain-ers,because it simply tells you that you can use that but not that.
    The ending was a bit obscure and mysterious,and i didn't understand everything.
    I don't think someone will waste his time with a custom story,because it's no inventory,no sanity and no oil,the notes are too long and some of them are useless.
    But cool game if you like puzzle adventure with a bit of horror.
  43. Oct 25, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in their position once. Or maybe, it was because after taking a look at Dear Esther, they knew the Chinese room had something more to offer, something different. And that is exactly what they put on the table. Amnesia The dark descent was a game everyone will remember as the game where they their pants and screamed like a little girl." and you can't deny that you probably did too. The story for Dark Descent was interesting, especially near the end of the game. What I love about A machine for pigs is it was completely different than its predecessor. I was worried that I would be playing an amnesia game that was completely similar to the first because the fear factor just wouldn't be there and if it was, it would not be the same. What the Chinese room did was they brought forth what I believe to be the most important parts of the horror genre; the story and atmosphere. Voice acting, soundtrack, environmental design and plot were things that were improved upon by a great amount. If you were to ask me about horror movies I would respond by saying I am tired of the slashing, the blood and basically the GUTS of what make up scary movies today. I want a story that will be able to grasp me and pull me into the madness it creates deep down (with a few pretty darn crazy scares along the way too!) And that is why I enjoy this game so much. You have every part of a disturbing and very successful horror story tied together with plausible monster creations and thrilling scares. Expand
  44. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is disappointing for reasons which a lot of reviews have stated: This is NOT an Amnesia game.

If one were to look at this title from this perspective it makes the game look better: This is essentially a REALLY good community mod for Amnesia: Dark Descent. Which in this case it almost is. There are no major overhauls on the visual end of things.

In terms of gameplay though,
    things have actually been pruned back. There is no interaction with the world, and less linearity to the story (no alternative endings, less notes to pick up). The amount of tension in the atmosphere is significantly reduced, and for me this also reduced the immersion.

The story goes a long way to redeeming this game. It's philosophical, intelligent, and gets you thinking. Unfortunately it's not interesting enough to me to ever consider playing it again.
  45. Oct 21, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has a fantastic story but falls short with it's monster encounters. The game's detail and music go great hand in hand. The scare fact of this game relies on you to listen with headphones in a pitch black room around 1-2 AM. The game only takes a few hours to complete so if you're interested in this game then I'd wait for a steam sale. All in all I still enjoyed playing this game and suggest anyone to try it out. Expand
  46. Oct 20, 2013
    A cerebral and spooky sequel that expands on the franchise’s story and themes, while slightly dialing down the terror. This is a good, and well made horror game, whats with all the criticism. I would recommend, you buy this if you are a horror game fan.
  47. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell another moody and atmospheric story about terror, tremors, and horrors of the factorial industrial period.

Graphics: When it gets dark, pull out your lantern, because otherwise there is nothing much to be seen. When the lantern comes out however, it gets beautifully dark as can be.

Sound: Between the rip roaring of machinery and the screaming and howling of monsters, you'll have your hands full with disseminating and distinguishing between what can hurt you and what can't. It's all terrifying however, and quite unexpected.

Playability: Choosing between using a keyboard or a controller makes this experience easier on more players, but I would definitely prefer the classic layout of the original, and played through with that choice set-up.

Entertainment: A truly scary and thought-provoking experience, as the first was. Not necessarily a step up, but not a giant step down either.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.25
  48. Oct 19, 2013
    I loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not a bad game, not at all! It's great.) but I do understand why there are a lot of people who disagree on that. It's simply not as scary, there's no more sanity system and you can barely interact with any objects. But only because it's being compared to the first game it ís the sequel so you'll do that automatically, of course the game seems to bad. But in my personal opinion I loved it. Expand
  49. Oct 16, 2013
    An incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters are disappointing, but even with how bad they are I can't take points away because the story and the immersion and the thoughts that are provoked by this game far and I mean FAR outweigh any negative impact from the enemies. Anybody that complains about the game not "scaring them" is because they didn't understand it wasn't meant to make you go, "AAAH! Monsters!" it was meant to make you go, "What monster am I? What have I done to these people? What did I do to my family?" You're meant to look inward at the horrors that can be committed by man not the horrors of pig-men trying to kill you. If you're looking for a game that will make you have those terrible thoughts and have to wonder what kind of a monster you are, than this is for you. If you want a puzzle game that relies on basic emotions (fear of character death) to scare you play Dark Descent or Penumbra (it's better than Dark Descent). Expand
  50. Oct 15, 2013
    Interesting story condiluded by bad writing and an unclear narrative structure. It is too easy to miss important parts of the story. Gameplay has been to simplified and their are next to no monster encounters or scares. Its a boring ride most of the way, and i feel that this story would have been better told as a novel or movie. Anyone who gives this game over a 6 is either a fanboy or just hasnt played the original. Amnesia the dark descent is incredible and more worth your money than this. Sadly disappointed by AMFP. Expand
  51. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is a HUGE disappointment! The environment is non interactive, the inventory is gone, you don't have to worry about sanity, oil and tinderboxes anymore, no custom stories and the monster is not even scary! The story is pretty strange and some of the textures look like
  52. Oct 13, 2013
    Kontynuacja najstraszniejszego horroru ostatnich lat wychodzi dobrze, ale tylko pod względem fabuły. Pomimo tego że pierwsza część strasznie wciągała jeżeli chodzi o fabułę. Chęć czytania listów, notatek i dowiadywania się kolejnych rzeczy aby wreszcie zrozumieć o co w tym wszystkim chodzi nadawała grze świetnego klimatu. Tutaj jednak twórcy postawili na fabułę jeszcze bardziej. Zresztą musieli, oprócz fabuły nic ma tutaj prawie nic ciekawego. Twórcy zrezygnowali z większość pomysłów narzuconych w pierwszej części. Nie ma ekwipunki, nie ma strachu przed ciemnością. Szkoda, te elementy naprawdę narzucały straszny, specyficzny klimat Amensii. Graficznie gra wygląda jak sprzed dekady. Dziwne że twórcy użyli tego samego silnika tylko lekko go ulepszając. Gra do tego jest za krótka, straszy o wiele mniej(pomimo wprowadzonej większej ilości scryptów) do tego jest zbugowana i nie dopracowana. Aczkolwiek, ze względu na fabułę warto zagrać. Moja ocena 7/10 Expand
  53. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a horrible excuse for a horror game, especially for Amnesia. Interacting with objects, inventory, insanity, oil, all removed. You run around with an infinite light source and your monster is a freaking mutant pig. It's like you're literally trying to find ways to scare yourself, but simply cannot. Extremely disappointed. Expand
  54. Oct 10, 2013
    No. The Chinese Room did all wrong for me. The atmosphere was barely tense (noisy machines doesn't create suspense and the lantern allerts when mob's coming).
    The hardest puzzle is something like "go in the other room and bring the thing back" (no inventory...).
    You can't interact with anything that is not part of the super linear path, the doors are all open or closed (no 1 key in all
    game) and even the dressers are all closed! come on!
    The encounters are too few and not so scary as they should be (only the water things are the most).
    The rooms are too big to to sense claustrophobia or panic and there is not so much feeling of being trappedand and survive.
    Only the story can stand for me because it's not completely equal to Dark Descent even if most of time I had to immagine to be horrified than seeing odd and dark things (pigs apart).
    The graphic and phisic is not evolved at all from D.D. as I expected to be.
    Maybe the thing that could save the game is an hypothetical new editor that should improve the old one to create new custom stories, but it's only an hope.
    Bad money spent....
  55. Oct 6, 2013
    Many other reviewers have noted Machine's lack of innovation that ignited the popularity of Dark Descent. While I feel that it was a deviation from those mechanics, there are no new innovations in that area that make up for the lost art of the first game.

This game excels in the area of writing—taking you through the inner-torments of the protagonist through introspective scenes and
    definitive journal entries. The game's puzzles amount to moving levers or items to their appropriate places—that's it. There isn't much of a horror element. I was truthfully scared exactly three times, but I did feel anxious/suspenseful many more times. However, if you start to take-in the game's subtle or not-so-subtle storyline hints and the atmosphere, you may become much more anxious when you start to realize that depth of depravity.

The conflict seems predicable; once you go down far enough, you realize you're transgressing into an existential nightmare—and there will be no way out, which plays along well with the canon. The machinery seems overdone and the pacing becomes very predictable once you load a new zone. If you start to connect the dots, you'll realize how it all will end.

The game is rather short and can be a quick fix for entertainment—it's certainly something to play all the way through at least once. I couldn't fathom any re-playability because of its truly linear storyline. Overall, I give it a 6 out of 10 and mark it as a good bargain buy.
  56. Oct 5, 2013
    I went into this with high expectations. How couldn't I? Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of my favorite games of all time. But, after a year of waiting, the new developer (The Chinese Room) managed to fall short in every way.
    1. They took the main gameplay of the first game (rationing light sources through tinderboxes and lamp oil) and didn't even bother replacing it with new gameplay.
    The main action in this game is walking around.
    2. They managed to butcher the story in favor of the weird pseudo-poetic exposition used in Dear Esther. Contrary to what they seem to think, this doesn't make the plot nuanced and complex, it only makes it harder to identify with the protagonist. Not to mention the fact that the twist ending is as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.
    3. The removal of the inventory would have still ruined the game even if everything else was great. There are now no items to ration (one of the scariest parts of Amnesia: TDD) and every puzzle has been reduced to dragging and dropping. To prevent player confusion, the amount of interactive objects has been limited to puzzle related items. So, if you find something that is movable, it is for a puzzle. This removes any need for exploration and accentuates the games linearity.

All of that being said, it still isn't too bad an experience for a horror fan. It's just a bad sequel. You can decide for yourself if it is scary enough to compensate for that. Just, try to limit your expectations.
  57. Oct 4, 2013
    Ok so first lets get all of this out of the way, its definitely not the first game and not as scary. I was rather disappointed when I got my hands on this game. for all the people who are pissed at this game it was made by different developers so of course it would be different. but really I had some fun with the game even though it was way more about puzzles than scares. people saying the game is boring or its amazing are wrong now this is just my opinion and a honest review the graphics could of been better it basically looked like a texture pack. The game was made by a small group of people who also mad custom stories for the first game and those stories and maps were fun and really scary. but they did this series a injustice so much hype for so little I don't now if this is just me but I finished it in about 3 hours I almost died once through out the entire game. I give it a 5/10 it6 was scary about 5% of the time if you wont to play a descent horror game than pick it up but I you have to choose buy the first one. Expand
  58. Oct 4, 2013
    I was looking forward to the sequel to Amnesia The Dark Descent, expecting it to be a horror game like the first one. A machine for pigs is, however, much more like Dear Esther than it is like Amnesia. All the mechanics that made Amnesia Amnesia have been removed. No sanity, no inventory, no interesting puzzles... The game is still dark, but there's no reason to fear it because you start with a latern that won't ever run out of fuel.

The story is decent enough, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested in playing. Aside from that, the game also had a weird stuttering issue at the launch of the game which really broke the immersion. After reading up on it and seeing that Frictional wasn't going to do anything about it, I just stopped playing altogether.

Frictional promised us a frightening game equal or better than the original, but they lied. If they had been honest about it, and at least tried to solve the game's problems (which fans have already done by this time), I might have been more forgiving. Frictional, however, really didn't keep their promises, and seemed not to care when reports of bugs were given.

Frictional, I hope this is the last I hear from you,

One of the fans you cheated.
  59. HD3
    Oct 4, 2013
    The game play is significantly simplified over the Dark Descent which will put some people off but it's every bit as scary and horrific as the original. The narrative is much stronger and well written and the environments are beautifully detailed. Cast performances are universally fantastic. Would recommend.
  60. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-end computers, removing the physics attributes for a lot of unimportant in game scenery. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  61. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, compared to The Dark Decent, was a major let down. The atmosphere was good, and the aesthetics were nice, however it did not feel like an Amnesia game. The game did very little to frighten me and the 'monsters' did nothing but make me laugh. The AI was horrible as I, on countless occasions, managed to walk up to them and stand there while they did nothing to prevent me from going past them. Another disappointment is the fact it took me only 3 hours to complete it, and that was with getting stuck at points due to misguidance in the game. For £13 that is horrible, I expected the game to last at least a bit longer than that, but alas it did not.
    Overall, it failed to grip me at all like the previous title(s), so I would not recommend buying this game at full price, just wait until it is on sale as it is not worth the money.
  62. Sep 30, 2013
    Do not purchase this game. It was a disappointment. First, you can't interact with anything in the game, want to grab that flower pot? Nope, this chair? NOPE, very little interaction.

Second, their is no more sanity mechanics, the dark does not do anything to you anymore, Lame lame LAME. The lantern you use is infinite in power, it must be nuclear or something

The monsters in the
    game are not scary, they remind me of a 5 year old's Halloween piglet costume. They also use the same EXACT items and décor as in amnesia dark descent, same chairs, same everything. Its a piss poor excuse of a new game.

Overall I was very disappointed. I'm sad I waited so long fur such a lame game
  63. Sep 30, 2013
    Amnesia 2 is like taking good parts out of your computer, and replacing it with parts, that can't produce the same effects, or just barely can do those, that the previous parts done greatly.

It was a twisted journey, with a lot of interesting thoughts, but it was like the developers praised they great words in the game. Wanted too much poetry, but drowned in it.
    Overally, it was a
    mediocre storyline, with some lights.
    The puzzles were too simplistic, and unvariable.
    The music and the art of it were wonderful things, but I wanted to see more of the facility.
  64. Sep 29, 2013
    Approach this not as a game but as a novella, or any other literary form, and you'll be very pleasantly surprised. It's not a better game than the original, but it's a better everything else.

A slightly snotty warning: If you have no idea who Ambrose Bierce was, or his contemporaries, maybe go buy the new GTA, instead.
  65. Sep 29, 2013
    Great horror game. Dark atmosphere. This game is maybe for the lesser-hardcore horror freaks, as i've enjoyed A Machine for Pigs much more than the dark descent. It's maybe because it's not as spooky, but still very, very dark.
  66. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is practically a Gmod horror map except the puzzles are easier. The main enemy is spooky pig men. I would probably be scared if I was still in my youth. But honestly. This should be a free to play game for what you get, it's practically a poorly made expansion pack. Also the game is 2-3 hours long unless you've got the brain of a chimp. If you're really eager to play the game just pirate it. They don't deserve your money. Expand
  67. Sep 27, 2013
    I like to think of the Amnesia games as an Anthology, each will be quite different (If they make more). A Machine for Pigs is by far very different from the Dark Descent. I rate this game so highly because of the way it plays out. Yes there were some game mechanics that I did not understand. However they're not important. I think most people didn't like this game because it is a different kind of horror. The story is very hard to pick up if you are not careful to detail and if you don't read the notes. This game wants you to try and understand what's going on, it isn't a game for people who want to run through and get a bunch of jump scares (Which is what the general non-horror game loving public thinks modern horror games are all about...Slender is over with people not every game is going to be a Boo! and Run! game!!) I think the graphics were amazing, however I had issues with crashing but fixed it with a little computer knowledge. Apparently Frictional doesn't like Intel graphics cards. I thought it had great atmosphere and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE MUSIC. I thought about giving this game a 9/10 since I enjoyed The Dark Descent a hair more (probably because The Dark Descent was way more disturbing) but this game deserves a higher score so I'm giving it a 10/10 because it really is a good sequel to a series that brings a lot to the table! Expand
  68. Sep 27, 2013
    If i could describe this game with 1 word, it would definetly be failure or disappointment.

I shall start by saying that I was truly looking forward to this game... However with the first 30 minutes, i realised how it took a turn to the worst... They eliminated the survival aspect of the game... they decided that it would be far more interesting to focus on the story (which in my
    opinion is really pretentious) and forget that this is a sequel to an awesome horror game...

Seriously... this game is neither a horror game nor an action/adventure game... its a sh%$ walk through type of game where everything is handed to you on a platter and you just press W and some clicks to see the bad pretentious story unfold... are you FU%$I*# serious???? is this what i waited anxiously to play???

Let me make it clear that Outlast came out 6 days before this game... and i only bought it lol as a warmup to this game... FAIL. because outlast is a clear 8... this game however is barely half of that score...

No scary enemies...
    No jumps...
    3 patrolling enemies.....
    No survival aspect... (no tinder, batteries or anything that forces you to explore)
    no tough puzzles...
    lots of non-interactable objects and doors... (WHY??)
    and... 4 hours long... 4 hours.... thats not even enough for a damn dlc...

i could go on rumbling about how trash this game is. How big of a disappointment it is.. but instead i shall go beg Redbarrel to make Outlast 2 and forget amnesia series exist...
  69. Sep 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cannot understand why most people are underwhelmed by the scare factor in A Machine For Pigs. In all honesty, I found it to be creepier and more fear-inducing than Dark Descent, mainly due to the games inclusion of children and...*shudder*....pigs. In fact, the underlying story was amazingly horrific directly because of the effective use of these elements as its basis. Expand
  70. Sep 26, 2013
    Slooooooooooow motion... Too much of it is used, wearing out my middle finger, but I have to continue, holding down w forever to walk down the corridors of this boring waste of money... Piggies... So scary... Not.
  71. Sep 26, 2013
    Not a bad game, but not nearly as good as Dark Descent was. Too straightforward and not even that scary. There is little to interact with the environment, basically only those imperative items could be picked up, unlike in Dark Descent where you could pick up pretty much everything. All in all, a bit of a let down.
  72. Sep 26, 2013
    This game was one of the biggest disappointments lately. What made the original so memorable is not sustained in this installment, instead there is a game of walking through large, uninteresting areas and doing simple puzzles. The soundtrack for this game was very immerse and matched the style of the game perfectly, but it felt like most of the game was spent in an awkward silence. I have played many games that a silent soundtrack for most of the game works in its favor, but this isn't one of them. This entire game just feels empty. All of the areas have no one else in them except for the occasional enemy that you can simply run past with no challenge, and I found myself asking "Where is everyone?"

This game does do some things right, such as the absolutely dreadful atmosphere, with the added immersion from the soundtrack and the excellent voice acting. It is a game similar to Dear Esther, with about the same amount of immersion, but without the memorable visuals and the interesting and original areas like in Dear Esther.

Anything that might have been hard to program for the developers is left out, such as the inventory system, sanity system, depleting light source, extra items to interact with other than the immediate next thing to do, and other things that would have made the game more interesting. This game is way too short and way too easy, only around 3.5-4 hours with no replay value and no multiplayer, which is unacceptable for a game priced higher than better indie games such as Fez or Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It's extremely lazy, and just a cash-in on the success of the first game.
  73. Sep 26, 2013
    Amnesia: A machine for pigs developed by The Chinese Room and published by Frictional Games, sets out on the glorious quest to win the crown of horror in this non direct sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Does it surpass the original game? Find out below!

It's hard to talk about the story of this game without giving away mayor spoilers, so here's a short non spoiler summarize. You
    take the roll of Manuds, a rich man who awakes deliriously from high fever in his bed. Haunted by visions of a powerful and evil machine that has taken your two children as hostages. Manuds has no choice but to walk deeply inside the machine and hopefully return his precious Children to their home. The story is quiet intriguing as you push forward, it got lots of twists and turns that'll make you question your perspective through the entire game. Some twists and turns might also entangle with some other twists leaving a big question mark behind. But for some, a second play through might come in handy to see details unfold in the beginning of the game.

Now to the most important part of all, how does it play? The game still have the same 'push and pull' mechanic from Amnesia(also in Frictional Games earlier series, Penumbra) where you grab a door with the mouse button and then either, push and pull to open it. The same also goes to other object like drawers, levers and valves. This mechanic feel very good and if you are being chased by a monster it's crucial that you know how to close a door behind you in a fast manner to avoid getting eaten.

Speaking of running away it's the only defense you have against the monsters (the few times you encounter them). There are no shotguns to blast the piggies away, just you, your lantern and any crawl space you can find.
    The game removes a lot of things from it's predecessor, things like;

Inventory
    Lantern Oil management
    Picking up random objects (bottles, books etc)
    Mental Health
    Tinderboxes
    Madness when standing in dark places

By removing these things, objectives like solving puzzles are way simpler. When you encounter a zone where a puzzle is, all you have to do is to either, look around for a valve or look for the only object that can be picked up. This is not a good thing. It's too easy and it takes away the immersion the first game had.

They've also took the time to lock almost everything up, many doors, drawers, wardrobes can't be explored at all. When you do find a drawer that can be opened there's only one thing that'll be in that drawer, a note. Yes the only things you pick up in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is notes and puzzle pieces. This sucks, in the original Amnesia you could tear down an entire room, it was great pulling out every book from a drawer -
    or a shelf, maybe there would be something there much more important than a note, oil perhaps? Like I mentioned above the oil management has been removed. You are using an infinite electric lantern that you never have to worry about. This is also a very bad thing. You are not scared when using it, another recent horror game knew that it's important to limit the player 'Safe Object'. Outlast had batteries to it's 'Safe Object' which was a camera. Then you got more things to worry about then just monsters when walking into the darkness.

The monsters in this new Amnesia really lack the true horror that the first game had. It's pigs, with some human modifications, like an arm. Most of the times they will just run past the screen, down on all fours, like a pig. The game always gives away when a pig is approaching too. Like in Silent Hill when your radio came on you knew that monsters where around, in this game your lantern and surrounding lights will start to flicker giving away any potential scare of it. "Why?" you might ask, well it's creepy the first six times it happens but after that it gets repetitive and boring. The very first time you encounter a monster in this game, there's no music and no stinger sound of any kind. It's just a pig, walking around, down on all fours.

Remember the water part in the original Amnesia? Well it returns but with invisible pig ghosts instead! It's not great and I will not go into detail why as it could take me several pages to explain how it doesn't fit in into this game or why it's not scary.
    So all in all the gameplay is about you pushing forward the entire game, turning valves and reading notes.

Now the presentation of this game is where it really shines. The game is filled with very interesting machinery that will make you awe in some spots. Almost every asset in this game is new (sure some assets from the original Amnesia will show up in some spots). The dark descent into the machine is intriguing, almost every section of the machine will be something new to look at, which is really nice. The games soundtrack sound design is also very good.

I wouldn't recommend this game to newcommers of Amnesia. Get the first one and ignore this.
  74. Sep 25, 2013
    Amnesia Machine For Pigs will move you. Don't expect a re-harsh of Dark Descent. This might as well be its own game. Very compelling, beautifully crafted, and scary as hell. Buy this one if you are truly ready to move to the next level of story telling and game play. A must to experience....Here piggy piggy...
  75. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Technically, this game is fantastic. The music is gorgeous, the graphics are stunning, and the storyline is well-written and extremely disturbing (possibly even better than the original game!)

Sadly, the positives end there. Allow me to explain: the gameplay of the first Amnesia revolved around the lack of light and an ingenious sanity system. You would collect lamp oil to fuel your lantern, but it wouldn't last very long. If you ran out of lamp oil, you would have to light various candles and torches around the environment using tinderboxes. If you failed to stay in the light, your sanity would start to drain. The lower your sanity dropped, the weirder things would become. You would hear creepy noises, the player character would be harder to control, and monsters would be more likely to find you.

In Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, they removed ALL of that.

This is so stupid it's almost impossible to comprehend. The reason we all loved the original Amnesia was BECAUSE of these unique concepts! Releasing an Amnesia sequel without the sanity system is like releasing a Portal sequel without portals! A sequel is supposed to IMPROVE on the original gameplay mechanics, not REMOVE them!

And that's not all! As well as removing the sanity system and light control, The Chinese Room has also given us a noticeable drop-down in immersion. One of the most important features of a horror game is immersing the player in the game's world, and AMFP fails horribly in this regard. In the first Amnesia, you could pick up almost every single box and move to around. Not in AMFP. In the first Amnesia, you could walk through almost every door and explore almost every room. Not in AMFP. In the first Amnesia, I felt like I was really inside a terrible place where terrible things had happened. Not in AMFP.

This brings me to my final complaint: Amnesia was the scariest horror game of all time, and this game just... isn't scary. You see the full view of the game's monsters in the first hour, which really messes up the pacing (in the first Amnesia, you would get spine-tingling glimpses of the monsters for several hours before you finally met one face-to-face). Because of this, the monsters become somewhat repetitive and difficult to fear. They're also extremely easy to avoid.

This game is a mess. It's a shame to see such fantastic storytelling and voice-acting go to waste, but the rest of the game is too bad to ignore. There's barely any atmosphere, easy to avoid monsters, and some of the most generic gameplay I've ever seen. Where did the heart-pumping fear of the original go??? Although I love the soundtrack and storyline, it's impossible for me to like a game that is trying so blatantly to be Amnesia yet fails so awfully.
  76. Sep 25, 2013
    5/10 Amnesia 2 is just a tame, melancholic walk through, a second a rate sequel( perhaps a let down is expected as it is a sequel?).

+++ Great concept, Excellent art and imagery Sound is good but (prefer it's predecessor's score), Decent level design.
    --- Massive Culling of parts from original no more: sanity, fear of death, need to scout and explore,Items, Interaction with
    environment, linear gameplay and design (so some will need to stock up on drink, another expense...) Not 'THAT' great or original, or at all complex story. No decent puzzles (all puzzles are things you would be able to do in your sleep...) No Fear... Too short! (Finishing it and finding it lasts 5-7 hrs and that you will never play it again... It IS 'a Machine for Pigs'.

I felt compelled to write a review on here as I have just run through and found my self EXTREMELY disappointed with this supposed 'sequel' to the 'Dark Descent'. Yes as noted, this is not the same game, but it has all the same hall marks, most of the same engine despite most objects are not inter-actable, which kills any dream of a good puzzle or any fast paced desk and cupboard choreography of sealing doors as you run from your nemesis; Only a hoping you reach a 'check point' in time. A 'Game for the Industry' I would call it, not the 'Machine for Pigs'... Only a shame it carries the same name...

So the game is linear, and keeps on going with no reward for wander? and no adrenaline pumping chases? So what does it have? I will be the first to admit, all the work has been diverted away from any form of challenge, game wise, to the art side, the story and some kind of On the rails', 'Cinema-interactive experience'. The concept idea is great, the textures and the levels are beautiful, the story... is not as good or any where as compelling as Amnesia 1 and those who think it is because of the skill of the developers, please dont say it is, because it is a wandering video-game-story on its own, which mounts a great deal of weight on the 'story' side of the game and the 'pretties' side which mean both need to make up for the 'not alot happens' side and 'absent risk' and 'absent counter-interaction' side, resulting in linear-boring traipsing around with no need to worry about that *clink* or a door opening with a creepy sound Which was what Amnesia 1 had in spades and probably was the reason why it worked. They must admit then that this game is a joke in-comparison to the original because IT IS NO LONGER A GAME, but some kind of an interactive story; for that I hate it. A Machine for Pigs.

But with all the art... the idea of this 'thing'... and the way the place looks they should be commended. The gameplay is not bad either, the engine still feels nice to use. However, I do believe they could have done better with the story, it is not all that compelling and I didn't feel drawn to know what happened(or perhaps I was bored? Or busy browsing the imagery?), it is not particularly original: I must have it and 'will' myself to do this It gave me a head ache and felt like screaming at the screen, "So... why are you living again? What did you come here to achieve??!..." And there it kind of kills the need for there to be a story, other than this magnificent 'THING' Its just 'A to B'. A Machine for Pigs...

In retrospect, Maybe it is because there is not enough detail and I find the story lacks 'something' (no! not more pretties! Some detail, a part of the story, some plot or perhaps an occurrence of something). Or perhaps more detail to justify the man's love for his

5/ 10 for this as this game is not complete. Personally as we are talking about something that is on sale on a market I think this game is worth £5 max. And I bought it pre-order lured on by the fact that I expected another 'Dark Descent', perhaps extended. This is not Dark Descent to my woe! It should be noted that it is worth 5 hrs play time, after that, other than if your a plank or you want to look deeper at the textures and level design, then the game is made redundant. I did question my self, does it have multiple paths? I am certain it does not... Even then the main mechanics of the game have been culled and it is left as a pig farm after a 'foot and mouth' virus out break.

I do not feel a desire to follow 'The Chinese room' if this what they make... and I am unsure what Frictional plan now... If it was meant to be some stupid story... so be it, I will plead guilty of ignorance and hope I will pay attention the next time, despite the fact Amnesia the Dark Descent was such a good 'game'... In fact I would suggest new players to stick with The Dark Descent and Download from Desura or online the countless number of excellent user made maps (Whitenight Btw is like this rubbish and a walkthrough, Frictional Games rewarded those people for that scenario in a competition(how ironic Amnesia 2 is just like it... What were they thinking!??)).
  77. Sep 24, 2013
    Should you buy this game? If you're new to the Amnesia franchise or horror games in general, yes, totally. If you're already huge fan of Amnesia: the Dark Descent and you have high hopes and expectations for the sequel, maybe not.

Had I known nothing about the previous games in the series, I would have reviewed it as a 9/10. It would have stood better on its own than being presented as
    a sequel. I was disappointed when my expectations set by The Dark Descent were not met. I'm like a kid at Christmas who got a parrot instead of a puppy. Mom and dad, this is cool, but I wanted someone to play fetch with!

In the Dark Descent, I was crippled by fear, afraid open the door to the next room, but I was so terribly curious what would be revealed next. I found this quality of tension and mystery lacking in a Machine for Pigs (MFP). What is rewarding about MFP is the deeper philosophical question it raises. "How does society treat those who we view as second-class citizens? How do I treat them?"

Secondly, it might seem minor, but I was highly disappointed that I couldn't tear books off shelves in MFP. You can only interact with items that are important to progressing to the next area. This breaks the immersion. I found that I actually missed the complex puzzles and hunt for hidden items.

Lastly, the absolute terror of the monsters is gone. This is due to familiarity. You could never get a clear look at the horror chasing you through Dark Descent, or figure out where and when it would show up next. The monsters in MFP quickly become familiar, predictable, easily avoided. There's no hiding; you just avoid their path. The horror is not in them sneaking up on you, but what they represent.

So, you're buying it anyway? Try to approach this game with an open mind, and you'll enjoy it.
  78. Sep 24, 2013
    Welcome to Dear Esther 2!
    I can't do a serious analisis because this isn't amnesia.
    Sound: Good.
    Atmosphere: Good
    Graphics: Good
    Terror: 0%

If terror doesn't exist the game shouldn't be called Amnesia.
  79. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is not what i was expecting. It so predictable and not so scary, even the puzzles are easy and the game helps the player through them. But its not all bad. Its not an "Amnesia" game, its a totally different one but still enjoyable. The atmosphere its better and improved, soundtrack the best i ever heard and the graphics also improved despite some minor insignificant bugs but what i really like is the story which i say Congratulations to The Chinese Room for possibly the best story ever in a video game, even had a few scares. So for all the people who say this game is i strongly advise to play it again and absorb its story and its atmosphere and then we will talk. Expand
  80. Sep 24, 2013
    The beggining of game is really and i was though that this game became a real piece of but then when i started to hear those wonderful soundtracks and interesting storyline, i changed my mind. Bassicilly i would give 7,5 but to rise a bit the score i give 10.
  81. Sep 23, 2013
    I remember monotonous pipes, pigs, mind-numbingly boring puzzles, Bioshock, pigmen, surreal, nasty, visceral writing, blood, the church, a vague ending.
  82. Sep 23, 2013
    In short, they shifted the premise from "scary jumpscares with a sub-par story" to "eerie environment with a good story", which isn't a bad thing at all. I just wasn't expecting it, as were a lot of fans of the Dark Descent.
  83. Sep 23, 2013
    This game in no way feels like a Frictional title, probably because it was developed by "The Chinese Room". Which created Dear Esther for the full steam release around last year. But all aside this game is not a survival horror, which in many ways disappointed me when I played it. Instead it is a rehash of Amnesia the Dark Descent but dumbed down to a point where survival is not a challenge in the game. The only good thing that came out of Amnesia A Machine for Pigs was the story. Well yes there are some parts that seemed mildly stupid, but in all it was a somewhat deep and disturbing tale. This game almost ruined The Chinese Room and Frictional Game's reputation in my mind. But its not the worst that could happen. Expand
  84. Sep 23, 2013
    This game is a disappointment. The developers have forgotten that they were creating a game for their customers; a game is more interactive than this walk-through, which only has a few boring puzzles. Instead, what they have dumped on the customer is their attempt at writing a poorly told short story and expecting you to pay for something they consider 'art'.

This is not art and it's
    not a good story. If a book editor were to review the text, so much of the material would have been deleted because it doesn't add anything to this amateurish effort. Certainly, no editor would have published this as a novel or novella, so the game publishers would have to resort to self-publishing. And the game developers did just that. They have self-published some bad fiction and disregarded good game development.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this story is bad. It can be summed up in a few sentences: "Oh God, I'm so tormented," "Oh God, I'm so tormented," restate background information with different prose, throw in enigmatic monologue and information and have the main character think about the same information, again and again. Most of this story is just static word pictures and it's often told in flashback (zzzzzzzzz). You, the gamer, and Mandus, the main character, never really do anything.

So now, I'm having a bad flashback, recalling the moment when I had purchased and played this boring game. I wail, gnash my teeth and pull my hair. Falling to my knees, I pray this bad game might get better. With tears and hope in my eyes, I look at the monitor but there is no change; Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is still a terrible game and a boring story. Oh God, I'm so tormented!
  85. Sep 21, 2013
    The Amnesia series Prides itself on doing something different and well the developers have managed to a pretty decent job on the latest game.
    Despite the ridiculously stupid monsters (flawed AI) and Childish puzzles, The Atmosphere is fantastic, the story engaging (but ultimately predictable) and the Sound design is absolutely brilliant..
    I'm sure all the hardcore horror fans will be
    disappointed, especially with the first game The Dark Descent being a masterpiece but the psychological horror that this game imparts along with its deeply disturbing and gruesome story line is what makes this game so unique.

Granted, the monster encounters are few, the puzzles are annoyingly stupid and some level designs become repetitive but it does what is sets out to do Manages to keep a perfect balance of psychological horror and story telling (that is if you are patient enough to read and comprehend all the notes).

The fear, the dread that someone is ready to pounce on you( like in TDD )is always there but some of the horror is sucked out as the game warns you of the presence of/ approaching enemies...However its hauntingly beautiful atmosphere along with a brilliant sound design makes up for that in a way.
    The atmosphere (sudden clunking of the machinery,winds,distant screams and many more all in the perfect location (Victorian Era England)) has been portrayed beautifully.. The music score by Jessica Curry is simply incredible and is worth buying alone.

The inclusion of the sanity mechanic and more interactions with the surrounding environment would have made this game much better no doubt It also made sense to have a lantern that does not die out frequently during the age of the Industrial Revolution but making it everlasting was a bad call. There are bugs and glitches but they don't hamper your gaming experience too often. During its course the game reminds you of some of the elements of the dark descent in an interesting way.

All in all,This game should not be played in a hurry nor should it be compared to the incredible level of its predecessor for it delivers a relatively different experience.. It should be played cause it manages to experiment and succeed in many aspects that the horror genre has paid little attention to ,considering The motive has always been to 'scare'....
    A Machine for Pigs is a pretty looking game set in a fascinating era and has been portrayed beautifully. It definitely does not come even close to scaring you like its predecessor but is definitely worth playing once for its unique experience.
    Just wait for Steam to reduce its current price.
  86. Sep 21, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs is not as good as I expected it to be. It has barely any interaction with objects, no potions, good jump scares or a good monster.In my opinion it was quite a downfall for the creators. Personally for me it just seemed like a mod, not a full game made by the same creators as Amnesia's the dark descend's. Again: the monsters were simply ridiculous and the story didn't connect what so ever, the game cant even be called horror anymore, there wasn't even an inventory! The game was just bad. Expand
  87. Sep 21, 2013
    This game took very little effort and time, so little time in fact that I can't imagine paying more than 10$ Let alone 20$. -1 Not nearly scary as the first, not as grim or dark its literally lit everywhere -1 Way short less than 4 hours of game play and I finished it just a moment ago in 2 hours 30 minutes -1 No threats, I died once on purpose, that was all -1 Puzzles not puzzling at all, everything you need is located right next to you and journal tells you how
    -1 Very confusing story and as you progress it gets boring and some of it makes no sense
    -1 Ending, climax of the story was weak, very very weak and predictable
    -1 No inventory, no combining, no oil no limited resources
    +1 Awesome voice acting
    +1 Amazing sound track
    +1 Bacon! Couple of throwbacks to the first game

As a fan of Frictional's Penumbra series and Amnesia the lacking of puzzles and the shortness makes this less of a game an more of a mod on the old engine. You can't interact with 90% of the boxes and items like you could in the first and the paths are all straight forward.
  88. Sep 21, 2013
    I finished the game, the problem is not that it's "different", the game is flawed on nearly all concepts.

The asset re-utilization is awful. The first time you see a painting you think it's a nice touch, but when it's the 40th time you see the same plastered all over the game, it lose its style. Same thing for most objects. Most rooms (level design) are completely implausible in size
    and architecture and don't feel real at all.
    On the other hand, the level of detail is quite good and better than most game (geometry/texturing).

Contrarily to Penumbra series where you had some very clever puzzle to solve, Amnesia: MFP only have a few "move objects from point A to point B" gameplay elements, and it don't get more that than.

There is a SINGLE other moving entity type in the game (appear 4-5 times along the way) and it's a PIG! How can they be serious? You have to run away from a PIG! You can't even fight back. Is that supposed to be scary or funny?

The story in itself is not enough to save the game, the story is kinda simple and a lot of elementary students could come up with a better one. Also, it's probably delivered in the worst way unimaginable. Instead of integrating the storytelling elements into the gameplay (in cut-scenes or when the player have control) they just plastered written "notes" all over and phones with "audio log" type of message. Even worse, as soon as one of these audio log start playing, the player movement lower to about 10% of his speed and the screen becomes blurry to the point you need to wait until it's finished to continue moving.

A lot of bad reviews say it's too linear. There's nothing wrong with a linear game, when linearity actually help to support an story with eventful scripted scenes and nice transitions between rooms. In the case of Amnesia, it's just running into empty long corridors where nothing happen and only 1/10 doors are unlocked along the way.

A lot of bad review say the game is much too short. While it is short (around 5hours), it's not that of a problem.
  89. Sep 21, 2013
    I LOVED the first Amnesia. I completely dislike the second. It's a pale imitation with none of the cool features we all liked in the first iteration. No lantern running out of oil. No real use of light and shadow at all. No spiral into madness. No terror of the unknown...
  90. Sep 21, 2013
    I really was waiting more from this game. Really disappointed. Where is the sanity? Where is the oil? The only good point is the main history. The last game was much better.
  91. Sep 20, 2013
    Part of the problem with most horror game reviews are simply they are rushed through just to get the review finished with. Put on your headphones, isolate yourself from other people, turn off all of the lights, and play A Machine for Pigs. After playing this game in that kind of isolation, as it should be played, (who would want to watch a horror movie or play a horror game in broad daylight anyways?) what I got from this game was a constant feeling of dreadful anxiety.

A Machine for Pigs is different in the sense of mechanics from The Dark Descent, but it terrified me more than the original title. The sequel takes a step further in atmospheric horror, giving you a horrible dread throughout the entire game. This is where it improves from the original. The previous Amnesia had its pockets where you felt like you overcame a situation and had an opportunity to breathe and relax for a bit. In A Machine for Pigs, you are constantly under an awfully frightening Victorian inspired atmosphere. The writing is incredibly dark and twisted, and the level design is superb. Plummeting further into the dreadful machine had me yelling out loud and screaming; the eerie machinery and loud noises is something that will always be a terrifying mechanism to use, which brings me to my next point, the music.

The music and general sound in this game is by far the best out of anything that I have heard out of a horror themed creation period. A large portion of the game I spent yelling for the loud, sudden noises to stop, in which most cases they did not. This is scary as hell, and so is this game's suddenly deathly quietness in some cases, where the sound of pressure is filled inside your head, making it feel like you can't breathe.

In conclusion, anyone who wants something to stay absolutely the same is not going to be happy. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a game that changes from its predecessor and actually works and improves on the original. Sure there there are no tinderboxes, no sanity, and no lantern oil, but it is a more story driven horror title. A Machine for Pigs shows that copying and pasting game mechanics from its previous title is not needed to be an even scarier game.

This game took me just under six hours to beat with myself taking my time and immersing myself completely, which is a good amount of gameplay for a $20 game. Yes, this is a different experience, and in my opinion, a much more frightening one.
  92. Sep 20, 2013
    I loved Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

it was probably the first commercially succesful "survival-horror" game and it instantly became the benchmark for the genre...
    it's mechanics were great and very innovative, hiding in closets, a constant search for matches and lamp-oil and above all, keeping an eye on your "sanity metre", which became too high whenever you were in the dark for too
    long all these were simply GREAT! innovative (for the most) and refreshingly different from everything we've had seen to that point.

to make a long story short: "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" is a fantastic game, it's innovative gameplay-mechanics were simply wonderful and the game was full of suspense, thrills, a reasonable amount of jump-scares.
    an almost perfect game, a truely perfect survival-horror game!

so, when I heard about the sequel and saw the trailer to "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs", I was looking forward to it.

all those great gameplay-mechanics I've mentioned above GONE!

"Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" LACKS_EVERYTHING_THAT_MADE_THE_FIRST_GAME_SO_GREAT!

the story is decent, sure, but that is in no way, shape or form enough to make a halway decent game.
    apart from the well-written story, "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs" is just boring.
    the athmosphere is quite tense, but the comical "monsters" do not look threatening or scary at all. you can outrun them easily, so there wouldn't even be the need to hide in a closet... unfortunately.

the developers "The Chinese Room" have proven once again (and hopefully for all and ever!) that an interesting story is NOT ENOUGH to make a good game!
    I wanted to like this game, I really did(!), but the lack of gameplay is the scariest thing this piece of game has to offer.

retrospectively, I am really glad I didn't buy or even pre-order this game.
    since "demos" have disappeared, I found a solution I can live with: I PIRATE everything I am interested in! then I play it, I "test" whether I want to buy and own a game or not. and guess what, after I decided whether I like it or not, I BUY or delete the games I pirated before.

and if anybody doesn't believe me, you can have my steam name and take a look at my +200 games steam-library!

I feel really sorry for everybody who spent money on this game... story and a semi-frightening athmosphere are NOT enough to make a game I truely hope "The Chinese Room" realizes this, before they release another game.

as much as Iwanted to like "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs", it simply isn't good enough and the fact that "The Chinese Room" took ALL mechanics that made "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" so great OUT OF the sequel is a shame! A SHAME!

1 point for a decent story, which unfortuantely wasn't immersive enough for me and didn't make me goosebumps once.

A SHAME! (gosh, this game really pissed me off! I LOVED the first one and I came to realize, I HATE "The Chinese Room" hopefully, someone burns the down! another game that doesn't sell, like this one and that "room" will be boarded-up)
  93. Sep 20, 2013
    Tis game... this game... The story was presented wonderfully but the problems out weigh many of the great story moments and gameplay "improvements" It was just lacking the pure fear that you felt playing the dark descent, it lost the survival aspect. I felt safer and less scared in this game than any other "survival horror" game i have ever played. The game is still worth playing however...
  94. Sep 20, 2013
    While it is not a *horribly* bad game is was definitely an overwhelming disappointment for me.

The game-play was okay, the graphics were astounding and the scenery very beautifully made and it definitely created the dark and horrific atmosphere Amnesia had, but I could not find it in myself to care about the story or the main character at all. Which for me, is one of the greatest sins
    a game can ever commit.

Unlike the first amnesia game were you truly wanted to learn what had happened, who the main character was and how to stop the coming evil and thus searched frantically for clues about those In this game, I had to force myself to read the notes and listen to the records after a while, it just got too boring and much too confusing. I am sure that if this had been a book where they could explain everything a little better, I would have loved it, but somehow the game took such an overdramatic, religiously fanatic approach that most of the time I just rolled my eyes at the recordings. If you are playing the main character in a game, you want to *like* him. In Amnesia you felt sorry for the MC even if he was a douche, but this MC is just a jerk, and even if there are a few redeeming hints thrown in here and there, I still found myself disliking him.

I really wanted to love this game because it was an “Amnesia”, but there are just so many things about it that annoys me The sanity meter is gone for one, and the main characters health regenerates rather quickly, which made the pig monsters that much less scary: I could always outrun them so why care if I took a hit? Also, the whole "pig" theme seems rather forced after a while: Yes, humans are pigs, understood, please stop using it in every-single-monologue.

The game gets boringly linear after a while. You are doing the same thing over and over and over again for ages just in slightly varying ways. The first time I had to turn a wheel and pull a lever to fix something was fine, but doing it 20+ times?

Maybe I am being too harsh on the game, but that is only because I keep comparing it to the first Amnesia, and I fully admit that! But if you choose to create a game as a sequel to Amnesia instead of a game of it´s own genre and style in order to sell more copies, and then strip it of so many of the things that made the previous game so popular, people will be rather disappointing: It is like creating a Mass Effect game without the dialogue wheel Same game yes, but the games “soul” is gone.

If they released this as a game of it´s own, I think I would have liked it better, but only a bit because for me, creating an unlikeable main character, boringly linear tasks, and face-palm worthy over-dramatic monologue gives you a nice place in the back of my closet where you shall stay forevermore never to be played again.

All in all an okay game, but very over the top dramatic, not really scary and in the end, not what I wanted the next Amnesia game to be like. Sorry.
  95. Sep 19, 2013
    Sadly this game is not Amnesia anymore.
    While having more detailed and complete storyline than original title and truly great story development (here we can thank chineeseroom, I guess), the game lacks one crucial point. Fear.

Getting rid of all UI is a good solution, but hey, the game is scary for only 1/3 of the time. You can walk in the dark freely as though it's you, who is the
    monster. Meeting monsters doesn't drive you mad and you can actually get hit by one and run away from it. Should I also point to the fact that pigs have great smell sense and will definitely smell you hiding behind crates?

After reading interview with Amnesia creator I was waiting for more "fear development", and in some parts it was very good indeed. Low frequency sounds, flickering lights, strange growls. But the second half of the game is just "run and click some buttons", so I guess they were just in a hurry to release the game. Of course I have read all the notes and documents in game, but I still have this bitter feeling of being fooled by the title.

Anyway, the story has made me think a lot and I still think it is a good game. But good like Dear Esther, not Amnesia.
  96. Sep 19, 2013
    It aspires to be an interactive story without an inventory or sanity effects and without the intimidating enemy's of the first the best the game can do to horrify is flicker the lights shake the camera and abuse the audio.

The simple and obvious fact is the amnesia devs sold out and outsourced large portions of the game to the dev team of dear esther, an interactive story can be great,
    but that's not what amnesia was and it's not what was promised.

Please skip this game, don't reward this kind of behavior grab outlast instead it has faults but it stays very true to the genre and brims with the passion and care of it's team.
  97. Sep 19, 2013
    As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game. The plot is heavy and not always easy to accept but if you play the first game you will get an idea why is it this way. Personally I found this game to be one of the best horror games. A fair amount of jumpscares, a fair amount of creepy content and a tension from the beginning and till the end. I must comment the sound, as it is the games bread and butter. I was terrified every time hearing a monster eating something behind the corner. And this narration is a gem of modern gaming.
    If this series will ever continue, I would play every game to come only because these two have taken a place in my heart. I recommend this game to every person that seeks a game, that tells you a story, rather than attacks from the corner to dismember you and makes you walk on human flesh.
    And to all those, who think this game is worse that the first one or even any game available today, play "Dear Esther" to understand the concept, not "Outlast". Amnesia has its scary parts, but it does not kill you every time you encounter an enemy. Good or bad, this is what the game is so don't get fooled by the glory of the first game. You will enjoy if you want to enjoy a story.
  98. Sep 19, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not quite as consistently scary or viscerally disturbing as it's predecessor (Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but it's a more of a poignant story overall this time around in terms of how well it delivers its themes (industry, greed, control, power, technology... and how they affect society, etc.), and also has more than a few cryptic helpings of surreal allegory that will have you asking "What the hell does that REALLY mean?"

However, A Machine for Pigs is a linear game overall and has less interaction than your average console game (when you aren't reading cryptic journal entries, you'll spend the remaining 80% of your in-game time turning valves, walking, occasionally running in terror, and turning your lamp on or off). The well-crafted story is essentially the sole focus of the game, but the accompanying art gives you a solid sense of the late 1800's Victorian setting (set a year before the turn of the century), though it's comparatively less evocative than the Gothic castle setting of the first Amnesia game; the grimy streets of London and its steam-pipe laden industrial underbelly ultimately become a repetetive, indistinct mash-up of dark brown bricks, pipes, mud, sewage, and blackened gore by the game's finale.

Overall, its more of semi-interactive version take on classic horror novels than a game. But a story is a story, and this one is a great one... so, unless you're a stickler for purity and would rather simultaneously play Call of Duty, visit an art gallery, and listen to classical music on and iPod while reading H.P. Lovecraft, A Machine for Pigs is the best (and most efficient) choice for anyone who craves depthy and intelligent narrative and/or horror, but can't go without the illusion of free will that only a video game (or the machine that runs it?) can provide.

7.8/10
  99. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not the game Amnesia fans waited years for.

When Frictional made Dark Descent, they created a highly interactive atmosphere that drew you in until you were too scared to go into the next room and see what horror was waiting for you. Instead of adding to the mechanics of the original, Chinese Room decided to remove practically all the original mechanics (no inventory, no health/sanity, you can't manipulate all objects, no hiding spots). The panic of getting Daniel through the dark to light before he went insane and preserving lamp oil contributed so much to the fear factor. Taking those elements away removed A LOT of quality from the game.
    Many fans say the enemies are not scary, I'm not sure that's entirely true though. The idea of the enemy models was great and the sounds are frightening enough, but they never appear in a moment you clearly have an advantage. The grunts from the first game appeared in some of the worst moments you could imagine and scrambling for a hiding place was unforgettably chaotic. The enemies were presented badly and the feeling of helplessness is completely absent. The biggest question I have is why couldn't they find a way to bring back the grunts??? Get creative next time Chinese Room, I expected to be chased and beat senseless but your pigs were too stupid to catch me (never died once on my first play through). The AI should have improved from Dark Descent, not degraded into mindless creatures that will completely miss you when you're right next to them. Maybe if Mandus was actually afraid of the dark like Daniel they would have noticed me.
    The design looks rather nice and I enjoyed amnesia's art style looking good, but you never wondered what was next. The next room would be some mechanical room that looked basically like the last. You could say the first amnesia did that with the castle looking the same, but the environments changed enough that it was fresh and that dreadful feeling of going deeper was much more prominent. That 'going deeper' theme is repeated in Machine for Pigs but honestly I was just hoping that something would surprise me.
    Another reason the rating isn't that low is the story really is pretty cool. The political satire and dark themes are interesting, but I could actually pay attention to this story because I wasn't scared out of my mind something was about to eat me again (I loved the first game's story on a later playthrough where I actually payed attention). A good story isn't enough to impress me though. This game is supposed to be a sequel and yet I found it to be 100% unrelated to the original. There is not a single reference to the evil we witnessed and feared in Brennenburg Castle. That may have been difficult since it's been moved to a separate era and location, but I hate that the first game is ignored. Chinese Room did tell us that they were putting a lot into the story and that was true. If only they didn't forget to put in the rest of the game. This is where I felt kind of nauseous inside because I realized that Amnesia had fallen victim to being inspired by Dear Esther. I know that game was supposed to be 'artistic', but a complete lack of gameplay made for one the most disappointing wastes of time and money of my life. Thank goodness some of Amnesia is still in this game or fans would have been even more furious.
    One more MAJOR complaint and perhaps the worst. When I played the first Amnesia, it took me 7-8 hours to finally reach Alexander. That game was LONG and I loved every moment of my terror. What happened with all that time for development for this game??? Did they forget to add-in half the game? I feel like at some point I must have bypassed the entire game since I watched the credits roll within the time it would have taken me to watch a movie. The length is the worst factor that Dear Esther rubbed off onto this game. I'm crossing my fingers that they implement what is needed for Custom Stories or this game will NEVER be worth what I payed. It's not that the game is unfinished, it's that it goes by so dang fast that you didn't have a chance to get that scared. If I could only make one change then I would beg for a couple more hours worth of gameplay. It may not be Dark Descent, but I was still having fun.
    As a horror game on its own, this game is decent and has a great story with awesome music and voice acting. I will applaud those achievements and you earned half a rating. However, this game is far too short and feels more like a professional custom story than a full sequel. Had they not put "Amnesia" in the title I think I would be happier because on its own it really is good. Maybe Dear Piggy would be more appropriate. I would still recommend giving the game a play through, but please don't walk out of that first bedroom with expectations so you can enjoy it for what it's worth.
  100. Sep 19, 2013
    A huge disappointment, I should've known that when the Chinese Room got involved they'd strip out the elements that actually make it a game and turn it into another failure like Dear Esther. It barely qualifies as a game and definitely doesn't quality as a good one. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs is a well made and impressive game with a thorough thematic design and atmosphere. As a horror game it is rather spartan yet brilliant in that it let’s your brain conjure most of its horrors. Unfortunately it comes with a rather numbing effect that makes later parts of the game feel more formulaic and not as scary.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    With problematic pacing and a complete lack of the horror element -that was the highlight of the first game- A Machine for Pigs didn't meet our expectations.
    A perfect clash of Dear Esther and Amnesia, focused on straining your nerves while easing - perhaps a tad too much - on the interaction and gameplay. [Issue#234]