• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.6

1. Sep 16, 2010
    You thought Dead Space was scary? It doesn't even hold a candle to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Believe the hype, this is the stuff nightmares are made of.
  2. Sep 13, 2010
    An unimaginably scary experience with an unimaginably terrifying and philosophically questionable story, hiding/running from monsters is terrifying and puzzles are often intuitive. Sound is brilliant, with just plain amazing ambient noises that make you scared to move on for fear of encountering a monster in the next room, and nightmare fuel music.
  3. Sep 10, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is simply the best survival-horror game which came out in a while. It's a 'must-have' for all horror-survival fans and, of course, PC owners.
  4. Apr 7, 2012
    This game is extremly intense and very gratifyting if you liked Frictinals earlier games (the Penumra series).
    I just love this game so far.

The usage of tension, sounds, disorientation effects which kicks in (like "Eternal Darkness", Gamecube) when the sanity is going through the roof and the feeling of, almost constantly, fleeing from horrific enemies your charachter is too scared to
    look at, which sets an excellent feeling of being helplessly vulnerable.

Trust me, it's worth every penny.
  5. BMF
    Mar 26, 2011
    A very very scary game that relies psychological terror rather then jumpy moments to scare the player also not having weapons to fight back adds to the "If that thing sees me im dead" moments.
  6. Mar 23, 2011
    The lack of weapons makes this game incredibly scary when having to deal with enemies, because all you can do is run or hide. Easily one of the sceariest games I've played, and the puzzles are cool, but I think there's too much of it.
  7. Sep 10, 2010
    I would've liked to spend $60 and had a game with graphics worthy of 2010. It's a scary game, with simple controls and inventory (a plus in my book), but certain things just kept taking me out of the experience. A spider web you can walk through and stays fully intact for example. I hid in a cupboard, and it wasn't dark inside the cupboard, despite there being no light source. I give it 8/10 for the concept though. In terms of fear factor, I put this below Dead Space. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    Horror, adventure, a lot of horror, puzzle solving a a ton of horror more! that's what it is.
    I would say that if you liked any of Penumbra Games, you will love this one too. It takes the best of the previous games and makes something truly remarkable for the price point. It's definitely worth trying.

an advice: play with headphones at night
  9. Dec 17, 2010
    This game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep you on your guard as there are factors like sanity, stay in the light and you will stay sane, stay in the darkness however and your sanity will start to decrease or witnessing unnatural events will as well. The game has great graphics and spectacular sound and atmosphere, this is a must play! Expand
  10. Oct 2, 2010
    Penumbra is one of my favorite horror games, but this is even better. This game really shows how a psychological horror is supposed to be made! It's really worth buying, especially because it's so cheap.
  11. Sep 9, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a must have for survival horror and more specifically fans of the Looking Glass Technologies style of gameplay.

Amnesia is a wonder of minimal gameplay mechanics. The pacing of the game is much more fluid than similar titles within the genre - Thief, System Shock, Bioshock, Penumbra, etc. Puzzles for the most part are logical and most of the time come natural.
    This is what sets the game apart from the packs. Using an inventory system taken from classic adventure gaming - combining objects, yet the puzzles that utilize the inventory objects are never nonsensical in the way many other adventure games use the mechanic. Since the levels are heavy in atmosphere the level design is fairly simplistic which only benefits to keep the player engaged and helps to move the puzzle solving along.

The sound design is top notch. The sound designer took field recordings were really well recorded; feels very real, atmospheric, foreboding. Amnesia is just as much an aural experience as a visual experience, sometimes the sound is so intense with the gameplay that I've taken off my headphones just to continue. It can be that intense. The story is actually very well written and sinister. Though, largely the environments are seemingly empty they are alarmingly alive with past atrocities.The 'find-documents-along-the-way' game mechanic has been done so many times in this genre. But, never has it been done so well. The story is very well written and will capture your attention unlike in other games that deploy this element. They are somewhat reminiscent in tone with the Thief series and it definitely helps that some are very well voice-acted.

The visual insanity mechanic is wonderful. I don't want to spoil it but it is visually much like tripping on LSD. Which is swirling textures, disorientation... it's pretty neat.

The physics mechanics, the atmosphere, the story, the pacing, the presentation. It's immaculate. It's very polished and much more fluid than Frictional's previous endeavors and that is saying a lot. This game is simply a must buy for those into Looking Glass type games, horror, or innovative games in general.
  12. Sep 8, 2010
    this game is great , very similar to penumbra but is much scary , it should be more games like this. I give it a nine because storyline could be better
  13. JFF
    Sep 8, 2010
    One of the best indie games of the year. The puzzles are clever, the sounds is magnificent and the atmosphere... wow boy, the atmosphere. You can play this game at 12:00 PM in a sunny Sunday and still the game will scare The hell out of you. A must buy for horror fans.
  14. Sep 9, 2010
    Just finished one (of three?) endings tonight. The way the game presents itself - atmosphere, pacing, even the ambient sounds all add to a tension-filled session of gameplay. This is a *must have* for anyone that's a fan of Atmospheric horrors, such as Penumbra and Silent Hill. The story was just as enjoyable for me, revealing why the player-character, Daniel, willingly took a tonic that gave him amnesia. The climax of that story made my jaw drop into my lap for the first time since BioShock's twist. Expand
  15. Sep 9, 2010
    Tense beyond anything you've ever experienced in the gaming world. Manages to top the Penumbra series by a mile...and that's saying something. Great graphics, eerie ambient sounds and a deep psychological story. Don't miss this one!
  16. Sep 9, 2010
    The complete vulnerability evokes the most intense emotions while also adding adrenaline to your fright fed furnace like no other game currently available today.
  17. Sep 10, 2010
    Best horror game since the Penumbra series themselves. Do i need to say more? Well put it this way, within about an hour of playing i was TERRIFIED of playing any further and i was enjoy ever second of playing it at the same time. Just simply amazing experience.
  18. Sep 10, 2010
    This is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling of terror for me. Seriously, this game blows the Penumbra (up until now my favorite horror games) completely out of the water. Ten times over. Bottom line: if you loved the Penumbra series, get it. If you did not play them, get it. The 15-ish euro price tag is just stealing the game, because i would have still bought it if it where 40 euros. Frictional Games, you truly outdid yourselves. Already can't wait for a new game from you. I love you Frictional Games!! Expand
  19. Apr 26, 2011
    'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' will more than likely haunt me for the rest of my days. And I mean that in a good way. And a bad one. But a good bad one. Oh stuff it, let me explain. Being lost in a big, crumbling, spooky castle is one thing, but being in one full of inter-dimensional shamblers that you can't really see and have absolutely no way to defend yourself from plus a library-full of Lovecraftian-inspired back-story? Pretty much screwed there mate. The sense of dread and fear that overpowers you as you edge down a darkened, winding corridor,the last of your lamplight oil burning away is tangible. It sits there in the room with you and grows until you're left scrabbling in the dark looking for tinderboxes, which you know when you light them are going to reveal a something thundering towards you. And then it goes 'a-bloogy-woogy-woo'. And you shriek and hide. The game makes use of a sanity meter that drops when you see spooky stuff/beasties or sit in the darkness too long, and some people have chosen to mock the fact that the main character has the mental resilience of a 5-year-old. However I feel that this simple, infantile fear of the dark, being as prevalent in the game play as it is, has actually made ME fear the dark more as a consequence. And if a horror game can bring back our fears from childhood (with the added threat of cosmic monstrosities), then I do declare that game done good. Expand
  20. Sep 15, 2010
    I thought Penumbra was scary, but this is best horror game so far. Playing at night in dark quite room can get you a heart attack! I love the atmosphere, story, puzzles and the physics in this game.
  21. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best games I have ever played. The atmosphere is gorgeous. The game play is very straight but in its simplicity it's perfect. Add freaky monsters, entertaining plot and great ambiance and you should have no dilemma about buying this game. It's absolutely outstanding and miles away from other survival horror games. I can ercommend this game to everyone who like to be scaried. Expand
  22. Nov 2, 2010
    A truly remarkable horror experience, you won't find cutting edge graphics or Hollywood voice-acting but what you will find is true fear and tension that even sometimes you would want to quit just because you're too scared to carry on.
  23. Sep 17, 2010
    The "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary moments shoved down their throats.

Amnesia isn't like that. Amnesia focuses on three things: atmosphere, survival, and, above all else, horror. Before players start the game, a warning is given that the game should not be played to win. It should be played to allow one's self to be absorbed into the world of Amnesia. Those that follow this advice will be in for the ride of their life. From the very beginning of the game, Amnesia's immersive and completely unsettling world will have you questioning if that sound is something moving, or if you're just going insane. You'll be afraid to go around the next corner, lest something horrifying is there. But you won't be able to stop.

With the recent release of the same development tool kit that the creators used to make the game, players can make their own stories. With a bit of creativity and just a bit of that sadistic love of horror, we'll be seeing good things come from Amnesia for a time to come.
  24. Sep 17, 2010
    This game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepy is the realism of the game, although some things are designed unrealistically on purpose, it just makes you feel like you're going crazy. I must admit I was scared many times, and the subtle revealing of the plot as you advance gives you more understanding of the situation, yet makes you feel even more scared. It doesn't require much puzzle-solving, but its goal is to scare me stiff, and frictional games did an excellent job of that. Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2011
    Have you ever pissed your pants while playing a gameâ
  26. Sep 30, 2011
    There are times in this game where you will be very scared, but never a time when you will want to stop playing. Amnesia is the scariest game ever made, but also one of the best. The water stage will haunt your memories.
  27. Sep 27, 2010
    Where Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a truly terrifying game due to the atmosphere created on your computer screen. I personally can't play it for more than five minutes without having to stop and tell myself "It's only a game"- definitely the horror element doing its job. Expand
  28. Sep 28, 2010
    A beautifully crafted game that makes great use of sound to create a tense, horrifying atmosphere. As others have suggested, if you'd played any of the penumbra series, you will certainly enjoy this game. My biggest recommendation for players is to do what the game says, turn your lights off and use a really good pair of headphones; be aware however... you may have nightmares.
  29. Oct 24, 2010
    Amnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so you truly feel fear for not knowing what's around the corner or hiding in the dark. And, the puzzles themselves are at the same time challening but with solutions reached by the use of reason and exploring.

Graphics are quite good considering the minimum requirements that the game asks. I have seen a review from one critics that he struggled on making this game playable. I don't really know what game he was playing, but this one didn't require from me even a minor tweak to get good fps or to fix any bugs. It simply sets the recommended settings depending on what graphics card that you are using.

The story is quite good and makes your moral compass struggle between what's right and what's wrong. This game is also about collecting clues to regain a sense of what happened and why you don't remember anything.

So, to sume it all up, it's a must buy and it really has an excellent value considering the $19.99 price tag on steam. Hell, if I would have known that it was this good, I would have payed $49.99. It truly is better than most titles that reach the $49.99 price tag.
  30. Sep 27, 2011
    First off I'd like to address the naysayers. A game is not all about showing off the latest graphics technology (Crysis), or pumping out yet another addition to an already successful money-making franchise (CoD). It's also about engrossing you in the story and, more importantly, the atmosphere. If you weren't pulled into the atmosphere, then I guess this isn't your kind of game or you were only playing to win (something the game actually tells you NOT to do), and I suggest you find another game you like and just stick with that.... Now onto the review....... Have you ever been scared? Had a nightmare where you are taking a test you haven't studied for, or spending the day in your underwear? Played Dead Space or Doom 3 and jumped when the scary guy hopped out of the vent screaming at you while being illuminated by your flashlight? Those are some scary scenarios aren't they? But have you ever been alone, in a series of near pitch black stone corridors, hearing voices and screams resonate faintly through the halls, with nothing but a half-empty weak oil lamp to keep you company, knowing that something is indeed "out there" ready to brutally murder you within seconds of noticing you, and realized that the only way to escape this nightmare is to continue the dark hallway that you now fear so much?... Take a minute to absorb that one... That is Amnesia: The Dark Descent for you. Very few mainstream video game titles have ever built such an engrossing atmosphere before, save for Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and a few others. From beginning to end you are but one mortal man, in a large almost derelict castle, with no memory, an order to kill a man, a warning that a "shadow" is hunting you, and no possible means to defend yourself... Proceed down the halls and through the darkness, steel yourself, and pray that the creature you just briefly glimpsed out of the corner of your eye hasn't seen you... No game has ever been this terrifying before (at least for anyone who has engaged in the atmosphere of any other game completely). The feeling of tension, as you slowly inch around a corner that may or may not be hiding a monster, is truly palpable. Even more so is the feeling of sheer bloody terror as you find yourself fleeing as fast as your mortal legs can take you while fear and panic wash over your nerves, make you sweat, and jerk your muscles involuntarily. You find a supposedly safe spot in the darkness, but your fear of the darkness and the unknown slowly takes its toll on your sanity. The voices become more frequent, the scratching becomes louder, you can't see straight anymore, your vision is blurred, and your movements are sluggish, almost as though your body and/or mind are fighting your attempts to proceed onward. The creature is still there, but where? And when will he strike?... Presentation: As stated before in the review and in oh so many others like it, atmosphere is the focus of Amnesia. Nothing says terror like being alone, in tight, dark corridors, hearing voices, having no weapons at your disposal, and never knowing if that disfigured shape walking across the misty hallway is really there or a trick being played on your mind. Graphics: Again people, graphics don't make a game, though they do certainly help. Amnesia is nothing groundbreaking. It rehashes Frictional's HPL engine from their Penumbra series with some minor graphical improvements. But it's not about the realism of the graphics, but the supernatural darkness that it creates. Audio: The voice acting is adequate but the sounds are far better than most AAA titles. Nothing helps add to the already creepy atmosphere like hearing a flashback take place as though you, the player, are standing there yourself, listening to the articulations of footsteps on dirty stone and hollow wood with high quality sounds of papers being shuffled or doors being opened. Gameplay: The gameplay is pretty primitive. Walk, run, open/close door, take item from inventory and use on puzzle, etc. But as with the atmosphere the lack of combat and weaponry helps drive the feeling of terror that you are meant to feel. The game gives you such simple gameplay elements so that you aren't distracted with "where is the reload key?" You will be focused with staying alive above all else. Replayablity: There is apparently more than just one ending, and you can't save the same game in multiple files. Meaning you can't witness one ending and then just reload to that defining moment where your choice affects the outcome. You will have to play again to get the other endings... All in all, Amnesia is a very well made game, considering the main design team is comprised of only two people. Its atmosphere is almost unmatched. If you manage to let yourself get sucked in, you will start to physically feel terror as you run, breathing heavily, from that dark monster in the hallway, and suddenly feel your whole body get tingly. That is real fear. Expand
  31. Oct 15, 2010
    This game itself has to be the best game I've ever played in a long time, including the scariest game for me too! The atmosphere, story and artistic environments all add up and present a game with a deep, spooky atmosphere, a complex yet interesting story, and the most cleverly designed environments in a game. Frictional Games have managed to impress many and scare the hell out of people yet again. Good luck and a thanks to Frictional Games. Expand
  32. Oct 17, 2010
    I think Amnesia : the dark descent is one of the scariest games ever made. We can see a very few mistakes, but we can understand that because the game was made by an independant developper. I really love Amnesia because all the games that qualify themselves has "horror-survival" are not scary at all, I think about Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil 5 (even if I love these games too), when you see a zombie, you kill him with a shotgun and that's all. In Amnesia, you run and hide, the only answer to the encounter between you and a monster is to escape. The fear is omnipresent, when you hear screaming voices, when you open a door, when you go into the darkness of a room without light, your heart is going crazy. This is one of the game I will remember all my life as a game of quality. Expand
  33. Dec 13, 2010
    There are things this game does fantastically. The sound is amazing, the atmosphere is incredible. The monsters are scary as hell. There were a couple times when after a few minutes of hiding from a monster, listening for his footsteps and creeping little by little out into the light, trying to figure out where he was; only to have him appear and charge me: The second or two before he killed me, my skin actually tingled and I involuntarily drew breath. I felt the feeling of actual terror.

The puzzles were another high point. They were intuitive and fun, you needed just enough brainpower to solve them that you feel satisfied afterward without just guessing randomly until you get it. The story, while standard spooky fare was more than adequate and the voice acting was better than most AAA titles. Won't win any oscars, but it wasn't bad enough to take you out of the story, like some games that cost 10X more to make.

The graphics were Average at best, but the lack of visual POW never took you out of the moment. My big issue with the game was the mechanics. You have to constantly manage your light sources, which seems like an afterthought. Since you have no weapons in the game, they can't add challenge by making you manage ammo, so they just use light. Which was distracting because you have a lantern that burns out faster than Gordan Freeman's flashlight (and doesn't recharge) and a bunch of tinder boxes. These appear to be as big as beer cans, but for some reason can only be used to light ONE light source each. And as important to your survival that a single candle is... you can't pick it up and take it with you, even though it is obviously just sitting on a table. It feels like they decided that the game was too easy and needed something to make it more of a challenge.

And I get why you can't have weapons, the feeling of sheer horror as some abomination sees me from across a dark cellar is something I have never felt in a video game before... but... there are weapons literally everywhere. In your puzzles, you use huge wrenches, fireplace pokers, metal rods, flammable lamp oil, shovels, BOMBS. but your character never thinks to use one on the roughly man-sized monsters that are wandering all over the place. The last thing that really bothered me about the game is one of the first things you see when you fire it up: Some tip of advice that says something along the lines of "don't play this game to win, instead, let yourself become engrossed in the story" or something to that effect. Just because you're an indie studio, don't ask me to give you the benefit of the doubt. Just make a great game. In closing: This game has some really mind-blowing elements. You can tell the creators really love electronic gaming and bring a level of craftsmanship that a lot of the mega-titles can't touch. The sound is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. But in the end, a lot of the game play mechanic is contrived and serves only to artificially add complexity. To everyone who gave 9s and 10s:Lets hold indie developers to a HIGHER standard, not a lower one. Because they have the passion and innovation to truly create the next great games: not the EA team working on the latest Nazi Shooting FPS ported from XBOX.
  34. May 16, 2011
    Finally a horror game that understands the importance of immersion and atmosphere - or to put it another way, that suspense is much more important (and harder to pull off) than surprise. Too many "horror" games I've seen rely entirely on surprise and boring fights (if you can kill the enemies, then they're not nearly as scary - so in Amnesia, you can't fight back!).
  35. Nov 1, 2010
    A lot about the game-play is said already in the reviews. It's one of a disturbing game ! Frictional guys really invested themselves in making a very original gameplay. I just love the visual effects slightly distorting the first person view.
    But what I'd like to add about this game, and it's an important thing is the intercompatibility between windows, mac and linux. The penumbra games
    were restricted to a specific os from a purchase. So I'm happy they followed 2dboy in doing this way. However there was very annoying bugs in the first version and the linux patch were published much later than the windows one...

Also about the story I'd like to say the end was quite frustrating. Some ends kick you to the credits only with a small comment. It's more like a game over... So I feel like it's a shame and it would have deserved more.
  36. Nov 2, 2010
    They hype around the game's fear-factor is well justified until later in the game when much of the fear is replaced by horror of a different kind....
    I'd also say the use of sound is the best I've come across in all my years as a gamer and only wish my headphones had not broken days before I got the game. Still, played at high volume in the dark had the desired effect.

Graphically very
    strong with well implemented sanity and disorientation effects.

The story is decent, certainly daring (I think the Devs have read the same disturbing book as I: The Roots of Evil). At times though, the lead actor hams it up a bit too much and if I was reaching to find more weaknesses I'd say it was on the whole a bit too linear and the clues often obviate the need to think too much. The ending also left me wanting thought I predict that was deliberate.....

So while nothing is perfect in this world; since this game cost me just £7 and appears to have been created by a team of about 4 people, it scores a solid 10!

An absolute triumph for Indie Development and I look forward to their next offering!
  37. Nov 2, 2010
    This game is by far the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. Add to that excellent physics puzzles and a gripping story, and you've got what should be outselling the latest COD or Halo title by a longshot.
  38. Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing game. Delivered the much loved penumbra-esque atmosphere, yet felt nothing like Penumbra, which is a plus in my book. The atmosphere, the story, the intensity and the gameplay mechanics all suck you in. I only wish it were longer! (and that the end was a bit better...)
  39. Nov 5, 2010
    Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident; depending on the person.

What Amnesia gives you is a first person survival that reminds me of elements from Half-Life puzzles, Doom 3 sudden enemy appearances and events, and enemies that are so twisted and flayed that I would expect that Alma from F.E.A.R. to do.

To recap I intend on setting aside of few nights to stay up all night and experience the terror that Amnesia will have in store for me in the full version of it. It created a hunger for utter terror in me that I'm not sure that I should be ignoring it or concerned about it.
  40. Nov 6, 2010
    I confess that this is not the sort of game I usually go for but I decided to give it a try for several reasons: I'd read numerous reviews singing it's praises; it was a bargain on Steam over the Halloween weekend; it is available on multiple platforms (I am a big fan of supporting developers who support my freedom of choice for OS) and I believe in supporting indie games development. I was pleasantly surprised therefore that Amnesia: The Dark Descent really does live up to the hype (which I suppose I am adding to!). Amnesia exceeded my expectations in almost every regard: the graphics, while not on a par with AAA+ games, were strong (excellent for such a small developer); the audio was truly superb; the levels were well designed; the puzzles were (for the most part) logical and necessary and the story was compelling. All of this combined to great effect to make an incredibly immersive game that simultaneously drew me in while making me want to stop playing and go outside into the sunshine for a while - with clear lines of sight and heavily armed just in case... So why not give the game 10 out of 10? Aside from a couple of occasions in the game where I was unsure what to do next, which in reality probably says more about me that the game, my only criticism would be that ending was weaker than I'd expected. Maybe this is something to do with how well constructed the rest of the game was but the ending felt quite abrupt. After playing Amnesia I am keenly aware that this is what a survival-horror game should be. Other games I have played recently using that label, such as the Left 4 Dead games and Resident Evil series, do not come close. Amnesia introduced me to fear, the need to survive by hiding in the shadows on the edge of sanity, the dread of knowing there was nothing I could do should I be found, before unveiling the horror of the reality in which I found myself and which both fascinated and repulsed me... Somehow I just don't think facing horrors with a shotgun will ever instill that same sense of fear and dread...

Frictional Games is definitely a developer i shall be following in future.

Overall Amnesia is an experience I would recommend to everyone... except those under the age of 18 or with a weak disposition... :-)
  41. Oct 1, 2011
    One of the best game ever. I enjoy it sooo mutch. The atmosphere is strongest and gameplay si great. This game is an 'must have' for all lovers of horror.
  42. Nov 11, 2010
    Haunting. Harrowing and a bona fide cult hit. Do you remember that scene from the original Resident Evil when you walk into a mansion room and see the first zombie chomping a corpse - and he looks up and goes for you! Or recall the first time you see Pyramid Head in Silent Hill - both classic scary gaming moments. Both put to shame by Amnesia. Yes, it is that good. And yes play it with the light off with spare boxer shorts on hand. Survival horror just got re-invented. Combat takes a back seat, intelligence takes the wheel. - CuRiOuS Expand
  43. Nov 12, 2010
    i cant play for too long before turning it off because its so intense, it sets up an amazing atmosphere, along with great graphics and near perfect game play it really is a great game that no one should miss.
  44. Nov 12, 2010
    A spiritual successor to Frictional Game's impressive Prenumbra franchise, Amnesia: The Dark Descent breathes life into a dieing genre; offering what is probably one of the most terrifying experiences in the gaming industry and easily the best horror game to grace gamers over the last ten years. If you consider yourself a fan of Survival Horror; you owe it yourself to purchase this game.
  45. Nov 23, 2010
    Holy EFF! This game is terrific. Keeping you on the edge of your seat waiting for what is next and yet at the back of your seat scared of what might jump out at you. This game is full of plus but I'll start with the minus. There are time when the effects seem almost past over by the creators and its looks a little cheesy (things just fade away in a type of fuzz). There are time when you can even expect to be have somthing happen whether it be somthing walking up on you or your vision shaking when red puss oozes out of the walls. The pluses is this game a numerous so I'll name a few of my favorites. This game will scare the hell out of you, games like F.E.A.R and the mainstream type horror games have nothing on this, be ready to get tested on your own sanity. I would give graphics in this game a 7/10, there not the top of the line but there not to shabby either. This is without a doubt my favorite horror game of all time to date. I can't wait for what Frictional games has up there sleeve for the next game. Expand
  46. Dec 11, 2010
    One of the best horror games to date, very chilling and intense at some moments, I bet you wouldn't last the entire game without jumping off your chair, just once!
    Fantastic, developers deserve the money!
  47. Nov 19, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a breath of fresh air for survival-horror fans. Anyone who's an avid gamer knows most survival-horror games involve a larger-than-life hero, toting mass arsenals of highly destructive weapons used mainly to plow through waves of demons, zombies, mutants, etc...
    Well, Frictional Games took a different, and highly innovative, approach to surviving a nightmare;
    they made the lead character as weak and fragile as possible, then threw him directly into a story of mystery, violence, shattered memories, and impending doom with only his cunning, and a small lamp at his disposal. This combination of great story, challenging puzzles, dark atmosphere, and realistic characters make Amnesia: The Dark Descent a masterpiece of survival horror and a great addition to any genuine horror fan's gaming library. Expand
  48. Nov 19, 2010
    Sorry for the wall of text, but it's not possible to make it look better.

A crossing, I stop for a second. Which way to go? As I turn around both left and right to see where they lead I stop at the left way. What was that? Did I just see something moving over there, or was it just my imagination? I stand completely still, afraid of moving. After ten seconds I notice I wasn't breathing.
    After twenty seconds I pulled a deep sigh, it probably was nothing. I turn around to remember where I came from and there's someone there. Something there. It's running towards me, and I can't react. I've never been so scared or surprised in my whole life.

Do you remember Penumbra? The survival-horror game from Swedish developer Frictional Games? If you do, you already know the basics of their new game Amnesia: the Dark Descent.

Amnesia starts out as your character, Daniel, walk along a pair of corridors in a castle that seems desolated, mumbling to himself. After not long you find a note that you apparently wrote for yourself, and that's all you know from the beginning, and the more you continue on, the more you get to know about the story. As you carry on you'll see flashbacks, and find notes from your diary, from which you can finally understand what you are doing in that medieval castle, and what you're going to do. All this while trying to stay away from the shadows that are hunting you, to kill you.

Something that Frictional Games gets right, that most other developers of horror games do not, is just that, horror. They understand that we're not mostly afraid of what we know, but what we don't know. Every time you round a corner in Amnesia you'll think that something will happen, every time you open a new door, only because you don't know anything about it. And since you do not know about what horrors await, you will imagine your biggest fear there, not far ahead. It never does, even thought every sound you hear tells you it is. The sound of footsteps, a woman crying for help and mercy, whispers that you do not understand. You can't help but think: does this mean something is coming? Is this just created to make your imagination go wild? Is it in-game, or only in your brain? You can never know for sure, without asking whoever you got over to hold your hand if they had heard it too.

Another thing adding to the horror is the horrible look of enemies, and the fact that you got nothing at all to defend you with. Sure, you can pick up a chair and throw it, but they are mostly faster than you, you can't run away that often. You have to hide, run around a corner and hide behind a pair of barrels. It's your only way to survive, this time there's no rocket-launcher with auto-aim to help you.

Even though all this Amnesia do have some flaws. At certain points in the game you could easily have continued, but you're not allowed to. You can't move those rocks, and you can't use anything to break a locked door, it's very annoying and sometimes even breaks the atmosphere. Sometimes you have no idea what you're doing, and that also annoys me. Sometimes, though, it's none of these thing stopping you from moving forward, you're simply to afraid to continue, sitting in a corner behind a crate, hiding, from whatever your imagination came up with.
    Sometimes I had to quit playing, because I was close to throw up. I won't say much, but there was some rooms that should show how torture and experiments worked at that time, and since torture is my big fear... Well, you can guess what sort of horrible scenes my imagination thought up. Those images are still terrorizing my mind.

This is a first-class survival horror game that will make your mind go crazy. Not in a bad way, since you'll always want to go back and continue the story, but in a good way.
    It's an amazing experience, and even if I hate my mind for coming up with those images I'm also glad it did.
    For 14.99$ this is the best horror game you will ever find, just make sure you have three hands; One for the mouse, one for moving around and one for pressing escape to pause the game, while yelling curses that you just made up. Honestly, that will happen.
  49. Jan 16, 2012
    8.6 + Incredible atmosphere made alive by first rate sound design + Logical, interesting puzzles + Castle Brennenburg is an interesting place to explore + Genuine feeling of loneliness, terror and helplessness - Some AI inconsistencies can make the monsters become annoyances more than threats - Compatibility problems in Windows 7 with some sound cards - Unimpressive ending - Overabundance of lighting resources removes some of the challenge Expand
  50. Apr 26, 2011
    this is definitely one of my favorite games from the beginning of 2011. Its a freaky game, so play it with your lights off and alone. It has pretty fun puzzle gameplay. its easy but that actually works to its advantage because it allows the story to progress with good pacing. the easiness is also good for novice adventure gamers. Thats all you really have to know, scary stuff happens and you will probably cry while enjoying/fearing a game thats like no other game. Expand
  51. Dec 6, 2010
    This is seriously a good choice if you're looking for a horror game on PC. The story is so well written that i think it deserved a chance to be made into a movie. also the atmosphere are good, it sends chill even to the toughest guy you can imagine. good buy i must say. i fully enjoyed playing this game
  52. Feb 16, 2011
    There are a lot of things to love in this game. The atmosphere, the locations, the bone-chilling horror, are all done well; however, the horrendous English voice acting really pulls the player out of the experience - enough so that I feel 8.5 would be the right score. This is a shame, because Amnesia is one of the best "survival horror", or whatever you want to label it, games available. One minor complaint are the flat textures and somewhat sluggish controls. However, I fully realize that this is an independent game, and the budget and resources available are far less than a developer like CAPCOM or Konami has to work with. All things considered, and with the exception of the voice acting, this is probably the scariest, and best-conceived game I have played in this genre since Silent Hill 3 and Fatal Frame 2. I also applaud the creators for taking a considerable risk when they could have easily made another sequel to their prior games. Expand
  53. Nov 25, 2010
    I was never good with horror movies. Turns out, I am not very good with horror games.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a brilliantly engineered experience. The game does a job of scaring you witless, but many of your worries will be of your own creation. Using gloomy graphics and clever ambience, you will see monsters where there are none, and run away from thin air.

The game has an
    intriguing story that draws you in and slowly unravels the mystery of Brennenburg, the eccentric Alexander, the protagonist Daniel and the evil that lurks in the shadows.

Amnesia deserves a place in the Hall of Fame for an experience that will leave you anxious to walk down a dimly lit hallway.
  54. Dec 2, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent has a great merit, this is one of the most original horror games ever made in the last decade. I'm not talking about monster or level design only, but if you like horror, you could love this game because instead of killing your foes with pistols or other weapons, here you can only hide in the dark, because you are an ordinary man, not so brave and strong to face the nightmare which is looking for you.

The only way to survive is hide or run depending by the situation, and in some case this is extremely useful to the atmosphere of loneliness and on desire to get outside the castle given to you by the light crannies that force you to think outside is all quiet and clear from the enemy.

This is not the only feature that make this game a great title, let's talk about environment interaction, in this game opening doors or furniture is great, because you must use your mouse like your hand, so to open a drawer you have to press click on it, pulling and then release the mouse button. It works perfectly and it's very realistic.

I must remark I usually don't like horror games especially because you have to do weird things on level mechanics to go on, for example in Resident Evil, in a police station you must burn a painting to get a jewel, position it in a fountain (a fountain in a police station??) to open a secret compartment where is located a shotgun... WTF? Does the police-men work like this in Resident Evil universe? I hate senseless enigmas, and fortunately, this game is far away from this.

In facts, level design is absolutely logical and the things you need to do to go on are like repair a machine with some missing spare, to take it you have (logically) to looking for it in a spares depository. And because you have to do logical things this doesn't mean it's easy, moving inside the areas is not so secure.

Great part of the game-play is based on light and dark, your character can hide in the dark from dangerous creatures which can see you if you are moving or if you are near a lights source. But that's not all, seeing supernatural creatures, events and live high tension moments debilitate your mental sanity and stability, because you have a body health indicator and a mental health indicator too. Obiously, the first obiously can go down if you are shoot by a creature or if you do something can hurt yourself.

I don't want to talk about the story to avoid unveal something, but I can say it's great and particulary adapt to the game universe, rich in turnovers but without excess, rich of details but without loose the main story line, so very well orchestrated, in facts, sometimes if you expect something dangerous happens by activating a door nothing happens, and when you think to by safe is right when a creature come near you. I can beg to say there is some conjunction with Roman Polanski's "The Ninth Gate" mood.

A must for people looking for game-play and originality in a game.

Closing comments
    - Great atmosphere and game-play
    - Awesome sounds
    - An horror different from the horror mass
    - It doesn't require a super computer
    - The graphic flawlessly immerse you in Amnesia universe although it's not incredible
  55. Dec 9, 2010
    Unique experience that offers more than meets the eye. BUY this game! There is a demo if your interested, but if you like survival horror, this game has it in spades. It's unlike any survival horror game you have ever played.
  56. Jun 10, 2011
    This game will definitely send chills down your spine. Roughly 9 hours of gameplay that gets kind of repetitious towards the end. Great story up until the anticlimactic ending. Recommend playing at night in an unlit room. Probably worth waiting until it goes into the $5 bucket due to it's lack of replayability.
  57. Jan 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is definitely a good horror game. Instead of putting you up against big monsters while carrying armament that would make Rambo bow in respect, the only defense you have is your legs and the shadow. I loved that. The atmosphere is great, the graphics are decent, the story is ok, though a bit cliche. I'm not completely satisfied though. Considering most reviews and stories about the game I was expecting to be scared beyond belief. I've even played it midnight with all the lights turned off to add to the atmosphere, but even while there were definitely a few gasp and chilling moments and even a loud "oh f*ck" twice, most of the scaring stuff gets a bit predictable and many great scare possibilities/moments were unused, too often I was playing too long before I finally met true danger again, so the scares/sounds lost their effect as I think too many of them ended up being empty. Still, all in all a great game that I'll probably play again, the atmosphere and projected feeling alone makes it worth it, they handled that perfect. Expand
  58. Dec 31, 2010
    9.5 if i could give it. the scenery and atmosphere are close to perfect. the graphics are definitely not up to par with other recent releases, but the games ability to scare you to death nevertheless is impressive. the fear feels different from other games in the sense that it's not a shock factor, where things pop out of nowhere in an annoying heart-attack fashion, but more along the lines of intense paranoia- a fantastic scare. puzzles can sometimes feel arbitrary, and the level design could be a little more imaginative- my gripes take nothing away from the terrifying experience, so do yourself a favor and play it. Expand
  59. Sep 25, 2011
    Warning: Minor Spoilers Ahead

Amnesia is a perfect submersion into a world of terror. It successfully does what few others "horror" games have: It uses all atmospheric properties to intimidate the player. One: It uses effective lighting and visual cues. Lighting can be an issue, as if it's all too dark, the eyes can be strained, but if it's too easy to always view one's surroundings, the
    player will become complacent and feel that they are not being challenged. The scarcely distributed tinderboxes create small illuminations, but never close all darkness, so corners are left unseen, and doorways unknown. The use of sanity (and how it changes when one looses more of it), is very effective, as the protagonist of the game "sees" movement out of intimate objects. Two: Sound. Perhaps the most important aspect of a horror game. Sounds are constantly littering your ears. Even in better-lit areas, one can hear doors opening, the screaming of tortured souls, the steps of someone walking above you, as if following you. All of these aspects, and music that suits all moments (e.g., an increase in atonality when being followed, or hearing sounds that don't exist when your lantern is out), work to engage the player in feeling that the moment is real, and that at any time, they are still being watched, followed, and chased by someone or something.

Three: Enveloping storyline. Don't mind me if I make some allusions to another alleged "horror" title, but the protagonist spouting off commentary at random intervals, as well as ineffective use of mystery can be a real bore. The plot for Amnesia gives you tiny bits and pieces, keeping the player interested in what happens next, as well as wondering what the hell is really going on. It essentially gives you enough to keep you going but not usually enough to figure things out, which is exactly what you want: Fear of what will happen but curiosity not satiated, which urges the player to continue. Overall, if Alan Wake scared you, you can't handle Amnesia. But I assure you it's a title that knows how to elicit fear, so if you want a true thrill on an expertly crafted horror game, go for it.
  60. Jun 26, 2011
    It's not just me, my 3 year old daughter really likes it too! She wants to play it often. It's actually her favorite PC game. She gets so scared when she hears and sees a monster coming, but she likes it! So far nearly everything about Amnesia is great! The story is quite good and certain parts in the game (interactions / pictures on wall / graphics / sounds) are really gory & sick! The environments and sounds are well made and can get really creepy. The interaction is very cool... the ability to gradually swing open doors, slide drawers, lift levers/lids, and rotate cranks/valves by moving your mouse in a relative way is fun feature! I like the interactive puzzles a lot and it fits this game well. IMO Graphics are good, but could have been a little better. Overall, Amnesia is a really creepy and immersive game, yet it's fun in a peculiar way. If you enjoy slower-paced first person horror games with fun puzzles, do NOT pass up Amnesia! A thing about this Amnesia - you won't forget it! Expand
  61. Jan 7, 2011
    Horror games are plentiful on the PC but Amnesia: Dark Descent is the first horror game that's left my pulsed racing, and at times made me feel reluctant to continue for all the right reasons. The pacing is dead on, with breaks in the atmosphere enabling you to gather yourself before you plunge (unwillingly in more than one instance!) into the next area of dark foreboding. This is a genre defining game and any horror enthusiast should buy it, don some decent headphones, turn out the lights and enjoy the scares! Expand
  62. Feb 12, 2011
    One of the most draining, terrifying, screamy-fit-inducing games ever made. Why you would want to play it is beyond me, but that doesn't make it any less of an absolute work of genius.
  63. Mar 18, 2011
    Amnesia starts where the protagonist drinks amnesia mixture that makes him forget. He only leaves one letter to explain that he must kill person called Alexander, there's a shadow following him and that he wants to forget. During the game you find pages of the protagonists diary and find out exactly why he wanted to forget and what are his reasons for wanting to murder Alexander.
    There
    are many games where you see something horrible coming at you. In most of those games you lift your gun and get rid of the abomination. In Amnesia you have no weapons. Your only chance is to block the way of the monster and hide. If you can't hide, you are dead.

Amnesia is a great game until the endings that I thought weren't that well thought out. The game is also rather heavy as the game draws every part of the level even you cannot see them through the walls. Voice acting is an improvement to the Penumbra series by the same developers. However there are parts where the protagonist is having dialogue and only the person he is talking to is heard.

Overall Amnesia is great game for what it is worth.
  64. Aug 23, 2011
    well is there anything more scary than the unknown? well if you have played this game you understand that the very thought of knowing almost nothing in a castle of monsters and traps is very chilling to the marrow of your bones... as you start out very minute sounds and shuffles give you a fright... but this game isn't just amazinf audio effects and seemingly useless doors opening by themselves. this game has scarey things that chase you they may show themselves when your looking through notes to find out why you are in a castle or trying to solve a puzzle. this is a great puzzle game not to mention with some tricky parts and some easy parts... i would like to say that the sound track is amazing, the very music makes you scared and that isn't the half of it. i had been in the morgue drilling a hole in some dead mans head to get and antidote to go down to the sewers which contain poisonous fungi. after this a monster breaks down the door i hide in a room of shallow waterand dead body piles... the monster sounds semm to be eating something i wait a minute it is still making noises... or is it gone and the sound is just a glitch or a leftover effect from the monster i peep out the door... no monster is near the broken down door. to look to my right i have to open the door completely so i do BAM! a monster is about 2 feet in front of me i run back in the room too petrified to close the door behind me i try to hide but its not use he chases me in circles through the shallow water and out the entrace through the broken down door. it attacks me once leaving me injured i limp to the exit and open the door. to my relief a loading screen i am safe. in no good consience can i give a game a ten so nine will do this game will thrill horror junkies and puzzle freaks alike great game! Expand
  65. Feb 7, 2011
    I wish someone had told me it's a PUZZLE GAME. Basically you walk around and solve puzzles while the game throws every haunted house cliche there is plus the kitchen sink at you. If you like atmospheric and mildly scary puzzle games, this is for you.
  66. Feb 4, 2011
    Amnesia has to be one of the best horror and adventure games I've ever played. After enjoying the Penumbra series I was slightly worried about how good Amnesia would be after playing the demo, but luckily the fault was the demo not doing the game justice.

Amnesia relies on you scaring yourself for the most part, true the game contains horrific enemies but what makes the game so
    frightening is you don't encounter them all that often, they appear now and again but you never know if there's one just around the corner. So the player scares themselves psychologically rather than the game relying on jump scares.
    My only criticism with Amnesia is towards the end of the game there are just too many dingy tunnels, earlier in the game you get to explore the Furnished castle and mansion areas that added a lot more variety to the tunnel crawl. Overall however Amnesia is a thrilling Horror game that any adventure or Horror fan would be stupid to miss.
  67. Feb 2, 2011
    AWESOME JUST AWESOME. I loved this game. First game that actually scared me (well penumbra managed in that 2) not like DS2 whit its "boo horror" well ok DS2 isn't even horror game. PPL who wine abt no weapons or u cant grab objects like torches, thing is that it would make the game too easy. Who needs lantern when u could just light a candle and use that. And this is true survival horror game, no weapons and only limited amount of oil and tinderboxes. This is horror at the best keep it up Frictional. The graphics were ok but thats nothing so important when u dont need to see that much, but the sounds and atmosphere... scary as he**. The game play is good, not best but still good. And the cash was spended like x10 times less than most of the games similiar graphs. And besiedes 4 endings (3 normal 1 secret) that make the replay value even better. Monsters are scary, but a bit... how could i say this... stupid. If youre thinking of buying horror game GET THIS or 1 from the penumbra series. I recommend black plague. Expand
  68. Apr 13, 2011
    The atmosphere is so intense, this game will suck you in from beginning to end, not to mention give you nightmares. The graphics are quite nice, but can still run on any computer (almost), but graphics aside, this game is TRUE survival horror! Penumbra fans, must buy this game! Survival horror game fans HAVE to buy this game! You'll be glad you did : P
  69. Feb 2, 2011
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Turn off the lights in your house and play this game. It is the closest any modern game will ever get to a similar feeling. Unique in its ideas and excellence this game is put simply astonishing.
  70. Feb 3, 2011
    This is by far the best horror-survival game I have ever played!
    And after I played it for the first time, I thought the replay value isn't that high.... but after I played it a second time I realized, I was so wrong!
  71. Jun 14, 2011
    Wow, my friend owns this game and we only play it at night to add to the already creepy atmosphere this game delivers so well. I don't even play the game, I just watch, and I must say it plays a lot like a good old fashioned scary movie. The only reason I don't want to play is I know I would get the crap scared out of me if I sat closer to the screen; being a bit farther back I take myself a bit out of the first person aspect. Man it eats at your imagination! Expand
  72. Feb 6, 2011
    This game is absolutely phenomenal!From the start you are inserted in the depths of a chaotic castle that will paralyze you from fear from its shocking mysteries.It is beyond your imagination what awaits you.The sounds , the graphics all make what this game is , an absolute masterpiece.Kudos to Frictional Games.
  73. Feb 11, 2011
    I don't know if i'm qualified to review this game yet: I didn't finish the game. But I plan finish it real soon. I only managed to make about 30 minutes in before chickening out. This game is on a WHOLE NOTHA LEVEL. Quote me on that. If any game is going to beat this in horror, it need to be where the main character only has a box of matches in a graveyard while it's raining.
  74. Feb 19, 2011
    The true Survival Horror, even if it lacks at the technical department its a true masterpiece, it achieves what no game has ever achieved so perfectly, Scaring people, which should be the primary goal of a survival horrors, lastly survival horrors such as Dead Space have focused on the action part and have failed in the scare part as the primary trick they have to scare people are Necromorphs just falling of the ceiling , on Amnesia the whole atmosphere is scary, as your light sources are very limited and you have no weapons aside from the darkness which is a double-edged sword as it can act as cover but will drain your sanity. Expand
  75. Mar 5, 2011
    This game is simply wonderful and beats an other horror game I've played out of the water. This game uses seclusion, sound, and atmosphere to scare the living crap out of you. You run around and solve puzzles that work your logical sense so you can progress through-out the dark, haunting, castle rooms and halls. If you enjoy playing games with your surround sound blasted to max and play at night with your lights off, this game is just for you. just be sure to have a few news-papers underneath you if you don't want to wet your chair. Expand
  76. Feb 28, 2011
    Don't know how to state this: This is a REAL horror game.
    You see; horror games are nowdays mostly seen as a game with bloody monsters and you need to shoot them. A real horror game is mostly imagination, and you should always be on edge.

Amnesia is the perfect horror game; no defence, and i had the feeling i was REALLY going insane.
    A must-have.
  77. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is not as great as everyone says. It's not scary or "immersive". People love to throw that word around, but the thing is, you can "immerse" yourself in ANY game - The question is why did you choose to do it with Amnesia, as opposed to any of the other games in the world? And honestly, I couldn't tell you. You spend a large portion of the game walking around in an open room, nothing to fight, nothing significant to do. When you first encounter an enemy, you can't fight it. Your character is apparently afraid of them, so I guess you have to be too, even though they're not actually scary. And I mean what's the worst thing that can happen? You would die and have to reload the game? That is the worst possible case scenario. It's not like something is going to come out of the screen and torture you if you do badly or something. I know I'm mostly talking about the philosophy behind the game, and not the gameplay itself, but that's because there's really not much to talk about as far as gameplay. You just walk around doing insignificant little things, like finding matches so that you can light torches, so that you don't have to watch the annoying screen effects when your character starts to go crazy because of the darkness. This game simply has no appeal to me. If you aren't into horror related games, don't buy in to the hype. It's just a very generic, typical horror game. Nothing more, nothing less. Expand
  78. Mar 3, 2011
    This games Gameplay got hit by a rock, so did it's music and character's, but it's immersion was instead rewarded with a gold medal ... And then hit by it.
    Amnesia told us : "That a isn't scary because one of the monster's have **** growing out of their knee's or the overarching plot, it's scary because of immersion, and being completley ... Alone ..."
    And hey! For an indie game the
    voice-talent is prety good. Expand
  79. Mar 8, 2011
    Great survival horror game that knows when to go "boo". It has great writing and voice acting to immerse you into the world where you are a puny little man facing big, scary monsters with nothing but a lantern.

Decent game. Worth the money.
  80. Mar 10, 2011
    This game made me visit the developers blog page for news on future updates

It scared the bejesus out of me, but thats exactly what I wanted

Some say that it has no replay value, but I played it twice and some parts still gets me even though I know whats going to happen

In terms of uniqueness, No other game is as atmospheric, immersive, and terrifying as this

Would recommend to everyone
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is absolutely horrifying and beautiful. I honestly do not know why I bought this game because I am not a fan of horror games at all. After finally collecting my nerves I played the game and was absolutely traumatized, but I mean that in the best way possible. Between the immersion, horror, story, and puzzles, I was enthralled and on edge yet always wanting and ready for more.

Definitely one of the best games I have ever played.
  82. Mar 22, 2011
    That was the single most terrifying piece of entertainment I have ever laid hands upon. I do not usually get touched by horror movies and alike but in this game I quite simply had to walk away on numerous occasions. The evil lurking in the water and the deep cries from the abandoned prison cellars had me almost literally begging to god for mercy. Scary as it may be, I extremely recommend playing this in the dark, alone, the way it is meant to be played; petrified, stunned, yet at the same time panicking for the escape as the last drop of lamb-oil burns up and you are left in the dark with insects crawling all over your screen and only the bare wall to guide you further ahead. All in all a thrilling experience without any of the bugs you could expect from an indie production like this. One of the games I "enjoyed" the most and definitely worth the 14 dollar pricetag. Expand
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    As I was a Penumbra player who followed and pre-ordered the game months and months before it was out .I loved this game, and was worth all the waiting in the world for it to come out.

The true and ONLY Survival Horror.

MUST: Play at night, with headphones on, and lights off. You're doing yourself a great disservice if you don't.
  84. Mar 22, 2011
    This game is not one of those all "hype" and no "show", it will drain your guts dry as it is one of the scariest horror game there is. You play as Daniel, a Londoner who just experienced a terrible "amnesia" and woke up on the floor of a big mansion, armed with nothing at all but cinder boxes and a lantern to lit the darkness where the fiend of the mansion may hide and stalk your back. Reminded me of how a survival horror game should be, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is really the ultimate interactive horror software that horror mongers should enjoy, with a good and deep story telling keeping you tense on the edge of the seat on most of the playtime. The sanity feature really gives an identity to the game, as no game before this has it. Will you prowl in the dark hiding from the "residents" of the mansion stealthily and go nuts, or lit everything that can be with the risk of being seen but stay sane? Definitely a must buy for the true fans of the amazing genre survival horror that is. Expand
  85. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been a fan of horror movies and books for a while, but never before had I played a horror game in my life until Amnesia. Starting it unsure, I decided to watch a live play before trying it out to prepare myself. Little did that matter, of course, because now I've played the game seven times and I still **** my pants at least once every ten minutes. Through the mazes of hallways and corridors you must dive between each little oasis of light to keep yourself sane. You don't even need to encounter the monsters to have a heart attack; just the gurgle or groan of a nearby creature sends me absolutely bonkers and I tend to squeak in fear. The amazing graphics, the use of physics, the sound effects, and the format all together make this game an terrifyingly real experience. I have only three notes of advice for you: find more oil, don't venture out into the open, and for God sakes, STAY OUT OF THE WATER. Expand
  86. Mar 25, 2011
    Good graphics, nice atmosphere. the riddles are okay and you have a lot horror situations.
    Its an independent game, so dont think you get big graphics or horror splatter elements, but the atmosphere is still cool. Try it!
  87. Mar 26, 2011
    A really great and scary game. The logical stuff we need to solve isn't too hard, which in my opinion is good since players won't be stuck in the game often, not knowing what to do. Although it happened for me once or twice. The atmosphere is fantastic, and knowing that we aren't able to fight monsters, knowing that the only way is to hide makes it even more amazing. The storyline is good too, with few possible endings. This game is must have for horror fans. The only flaw would be that it's too short, or maybe it only seems so beacause I enjoyed it greatly and would want more of it. The music and sounds are really fitting. I'm giving it a solid 8. It's a really great game but as I've mentioned, it seems short and doesn't have anything that would make me want to come back to it after beating it. I also am not able to say what this game is missing, but it just seems that few things could have been done better. But I would still recommend it to everyone, it's worth your money. Summary.

Pros:
    -Fantastic atmoshpere.
    -Game that makes your heart beat faster often.
    -We aren't able to fight monsters, we need to hide from them.
    -Nerve wrecking by how scary it can be, and I think it's a great plus for a survival horror game.

Cons:
    Too short.
  88. Apr 6, 2011
    People think Dead Space and Dead Space 2 being scary needs to play this game, seriously. After playing Amnesia, any other horror game that I've played recently is a walk through the park. Frictional Games tells you that the game itself is not meant to be played to win, and should be played in the dark with headphones / surround sound. Do it at least once. The atmosphere fits, the game does what its supposed to do, scare the **** out of you. Dead Space and Dead Space 2, supposedly scary games are disappointing in the fact that its all obvious, jump scares. There is no true comparison as this game out trumps them in the horror, which if you sell a game as horror, it better be. There's only one room that has that safe room feel and ambiance except for a creepy fixture that only a crazy person would like. The physic system is really really nice, and this is coming from a team of 5 people, note that, 5, versus a big company of over hundreds with tons more funding and still making a better game than them. The graphics are decent, but considering it being an indie game, its really good for their effort. This game play however doesn't suit most people as a lot of people like "wheres my freaking gun" or something. Fans of horror should really buy the game, its $20, or $10 if its on sale. Expand
  89. Feb 11, 2012
    After years of action-horror games, we finally get a proper survival horror game! This is the perfect horror game by me: no weapons, monsters to avoid, creepy scenery, constant darkness, horrific sound. Everything is perfectly set in order to scare the HELL outta you, and horror fans will enjoy....but what's wrong instead? To be honest, one of the fewest issues I had in this game were the mental state, mainly because you can't hide in the darkness for too long or you'll go crazy: in a game where you must hide, hiding is actually hurting you? Annoying, but I guess it's one way to scare you more, but still I found it bothersome. And of course, the light sources: you'll constantly have to carefully use your light sources, or you'll have a hard time in the game later: very bothersome. Maybe one issue is also when you die, the game loses a bit of its touch: yes it's scary, but suddenly you don't feel that much fear anymore: not a proper flaw, more like an annoying thing. Honestly that's mostly it: the biggest flaws could be for those who actually don't like this kind of horror games, meaning that this game is based on slow moments, on being carefull, on actually try to mentally focused and go on; those who just love to defend themselves somehow or who actualy can't stand slow paced games, this game is probably not for you. For the rest, this is how a REAL horror game should be made, and I CAN'T wait for another game like this. Expand
  90. Apr 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is by no means for the weak of heart. As a matter of fact, if you're looking for an exciting, fun game, go buy something else. I see this game as more of a challenge. That being said, it's still superb.
    I'll start with the cons. The graphics are a bit outdated. The physics system is a little confusing, although it isn't used extensively. Oh, and you're likely to wet yourself once or twice along the way. The gameplay isn't incredibly long - that is, once you remove the time you spend crouching in corners crying to yourself. And the pros? This game is, by far, the most terrifying game out there. It blows Dead Space 1/2 each out of the water. If you find yourself crouching in a corner behind a bed for minutes on end, you aren't alone. There are times where you can hardly tell whether you are in a chair in front of a computer or roaming the halls of the castle. Of course, the game doesn't survive solely on thrill. There are some puzzles in it - some of which are annoying, some of which are challenging - and perhaps the most noticeable feature (besides the fetal position inducing terror) is the aspect of preserving resources. Throughout the game, you must stay in light to stay sane. The problem is, your light sources are limited to a lantern with an oil supply, natural light that is hard to find, and tinderboxes which are rare. So you may find yourself sprinting in between previously lit torches and windows. Furthermore, you cannot fight your enemies - you can only run and hide. This changes the modern view of video games, which is mostly centered around the "fight to survive" idea. The storyline isn't anything incredibly intense, but it does hold it's own against other games'. The music is superb - in fact, I would attribute a good chunk of the fear factor of this game completely to the music and sound effects. One final note - you have to let yourself be afraid to truly experience Amnesia's effect. There actually aren't a large amount of enemy encounters in the game (though they are certainly the most terrifying parts). It isn't the quantity of encounters, but that you never know when one may occur. Play it in a dark room, alone, with headphones on. Allow yourself to become the character, and don't let yourself know that it's all pixels. In the end: It's a great challenge and most definitely worth 20 bucks, though it is often on sale for less. However, it's not fun and addicting as we tend to view a "good game" to be, and the weak of heart should beware.
  91. Apr 7, 2011
    Scariest game Ive ever played, 3 of us sat down in the living room with the speakers turned up in front of a 32in lcd. We would scream. There is one level that simply horrified my friend early on, nothing but loud shrieks coming from mid 20s grown men. After a few hours we would have to take a break for a few days to get the urge to scare ourselves to death again. Excellent atmosphere, sounds, good graphics, good puzzles. I got this for 10 bucks, and regularly its 20. THIS IS AMAZING FOR 20 BUCKS and a steal at 10. Buy this now and scare yourself, but be warned, for me I couldn't play the demo more than 15 mins alone. Then my friends made me buy it and we played it together. Our wives must think we are wimps to scream this much at a game. Expand
  92. Apr 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Move over Penumbra; Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the new king of scary now. Take everything you've seen in scary movies and games, like mutated monsters, mysterious noises, and an unseen hunter stalking you at every turn; now imagine facing them all with absolutely no way to defend yourself. That's right. You have NOTHING but your "legs" and your wits to survive.

Very well done, fictional games. You'll be getting my therapy bill soon.
  93. Apr 9, 2011
    From a purely "Video games are art" -perspective this is probably the best thing I've ever seen. I'm not much into horror games since there's usually very little horror in them, however this is truly one of the best gaming experiences that I've ever had. The immersion is like nothing I've encountered before; if played properly late at night with no lights and headphones it will draw you in and you may never fully recover.

This is a game for anyone how wants to try something new in gaming. It stands out as a shining beacon of creativity in a swamp of bland generic games. In this game the only way to defend your self is to run and hide, and it works better then I ever thought possible. Instead of focusing on fun game-play it focuses on just being an experience, which may sound kind of boring but I assure you that this game is anything but boring. And the experience weaves beautifully together with itself; you'll be in a mix of mildly non-threatening environments simply exploring, feeling a little bit uncanny that somethings a bit off, hiding from monsters that you're not quite sure where they are and heart pounding hectic chases. This game knows that the best way to keep you at the edge of your seat is to vary the experience. It's not a consistent climb leading up to a climax, it tries to keep everything being unpredictable, it fails at some points to be honest but never the less it succeeds very well at strongly evoking whatever emotion it's going for, which isn't always fear. And that's what I think makes the developers such great artists.

Naturally the game isn't flawless, nothing is. The AI of the monsters is probably the thing that stands out the most, however considering that this was made by an indie developing studio consisting of five guys I'm willing to let that one slide, especially since that particular flaw feels overshadowed by everything about it that exceeded my expectations about it by a mile, such as sound, ambiance, voice acting, varying level aesthetics and even they're in-house physics engine (not that I tried to break it). However, one thing that kept rubbing me the wrong way was some of the puzzles. Prior to going in to this game I thought that there was two kinds of puzzles, the easy ones that almost feels patronizing at times, and hard ones that can be frustrating to figure out but generally leaves you with a real since of accomplishment and intelligence when you do figure out how to solve it. In this game however some of the puzzles took a really long time to figure out and when I finely did figure it out I mainly felt "That's it?!". It's almost reminiscent to the old point and clicks where the designer exercises his own sense of logic that makes since to no one but himself. It's not that bad here, the puzzles certainly do have logic in them, but they often feel round about and not the most obvious solution.
  94. Apr 26, 2011
    Amnesia is not a game you play to win; it is a game to win to stay alive. The tutorial screen says this is the attitude with which you should approach this game. Itâ
  95. Apr 20, 2011
    This is one hell of a game. There is no game that I have ever played that comes close to this kind of gaming. Games like Doom, Resident Evil and Dead Space are scary, but when you come face to face with a monster that has their jaw hanging down to their chest, and you have nothing, NOTHING, to defend yourself with, a jolt of terror runs through your whole body. It goes beyond scary and frightening, it makes you scared for much longer periods of time, rather than just getting startled and regaining your stature. I found myself many times running for my life, with the growl and footsteps of the monsters following closely behind me. Both of my arms would be shaking because I was so terrified and it would be harder to open and close doors because I couldn't click on them properly, being out of control scared was something I literally have only experienced in nightmares. The graphics are nothing to be bragging about, but by no means are they bad. They provided a good well balanced environment that fit the story and the fear perfectly. The thing that impressed me the most about this game, were the sounds. Very masterly done. I played through this game with a pretty high grade vibrating headset, the sound quality was outstanding. The voice acting, some of the best I've ever heard. I can honestly say that if I had played through this game with no sounds, it wouldn't have come close to the level of fear produced as it did with sounds. Between the terrifying monsters that the characters only hope of surviving was running for his life, and the sounds, this game delivered a 1-2 punch straight into my fear center. I found myself quitting because I was too scared at times. Puzzles are another important factor of this game. Fun and intuitive they kept my brain from getting too relaxed. Difficult at times left me wondering if I would ever get past them, I did have to cheat a little and look up solutions. Overall: A very, VERY fun game. very scary and deep, it has an amazing storyline that doesn't leave you with questions. Expand
  96. Apr 25, 2011
    Puts me so on edge I still haven't managed to finish it. I guess that counts as success?
  97. Jan 23, 2012
    With over 200.000 units sold up to date, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the indie top sellers of 2010. This game made me feel terrified like no other, especially for the atmosphere and the fear to the unknown that i had to stop playing it for a while, just like Penumbra. The feeling that you are totally helpless an unarmed, make this for an intense survival experience. If you love survival horror games + psychological terror like Penumbra, well this game is for you, my friend.
    If there is something i'm sure, Frictional Games knows how to scare the s*** out of us.
    Get this game, it's well worth every cent!!!
  98. Apr 23, 2011
    An experience created only by a few people, but that proves developers don't need a huge team to make an unbelievably horrifying game. Not only is this game incredible, but it takes a different approach to the now existing horror genre and completely goes the other way. It's a fresh experience, with well thought out sequences and horrific creatures. In the end, it creates an extremely tense and insane design. It's so well done, that it is one of the scariest games ever made. It doesn't achieve this by giving fake scares, it scares you psychologically, until you can't play anymore. Expand
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the Greatest Horror survival game to date. the mouse actions are good, the atmosphere is dark and terrifying, and its only 20$. oh and if you do pick it up, do as the game says: adjust the gamma and contrast , play it in a dark room by yourself, with a good headset. - Nov '10

OH GOD! why does this game effect me this much. maybe I take it too serious. Might not be so bad If I
    didnt care about not Dying so much. the piano just started playing.and I heard a moan back that way. I dont want to go back, but I have to. AAAAAAH! -Dec '10

I had to start over, didnt copy my docs saves when I Reloaded my OS. Even though I have been through the some areas before, I still dont know if the creature is gonna pop out or not. and every moan and Squeak makes me flip around, or run to the nearest door and turn the lamp off. Its Great. - Jan '11
  100. Apr 19, 2011
    Scariest game that I have played in a long time. This one will have grown men shaking. Best played late at night in a pitch black room alone. Headphones are a must.

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.