• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.7

1. Sep 17, 2010
    The "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary momentsThe "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary moments shoved down their throats.

Amnesia isn't like that. Amnesia focuses on three things: atmosphere, survival, and, above all else, horror. Before players start the game, a warning is given that the game should not be played to win. It should be played to allow one's self to be absorbed into the world of Amnesia. Those that follow this advice will be in for the ride of their life. From the very beginning of the game, Amnesia's immersive and completely unsettling world will have you questioning if that sound is something moving, or if you're just going insane. You'll be afraid to go around the next corner, lest something horrifying is there. But you won't be able to stop.

With the recent release of the same development tool kit that the creators used to make the game, players can make their own stories. With a bit of creativity and just a bit of that sadistic love of horror, we'll be seeing good things come from Amnesia for a time to come.
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    This game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepyThis game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepy is the realism of the game, although some things are designed unrealistically on purpose, it just makes you feel like you're going crazy. I must admit I was scared many times, and the subtle revealing of the plot as you advance gives you more understanding of the situation, yet makes you feel even more scared. It doesn't require much puzzle-solving, but its goal is to scare me stiff, and frictional games did an excellent job of that. Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2010
    This is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling ofThis is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling of terror for me. Seriously, this game blows the Penumbra (up until now my favorite horror games) completely out of the water. Ten times over. Bottom line: if you loved the Penumbra series, get it. If you did not play them, get it. The 15-ish euro price tag is just stealing the game, because i would have still bought it if it where 40 euros. Frictional Games, you truly outdid yourselves. Already can't wait for a new game from you. I love you Frictional Games!! Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2010
    Tense beyond anything you've ever experienced in the gaming world. Manages to top the Penumbra series by a mile...and that's saying something. Great graphics, eerie ambient sounds and a deep psychological story. Don't miss this one!
  5. Sep 27, 2010
    Where Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a trulyWhere Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a truly terrifying game due to the atmosphere created on your computer screen. I personally can't play it for more than five minutes without having to stop and tell myself "It's only a game"- definitely the horror element doing its job. Expand
  6. Sep 16, 2010
    You thought Dead Space was scary? It doesn't even hold a candle to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Believe the hype, this is the stuff nightmares are made of.
  7. Dec 13, 2010
    There are things this game does fantastically. The sound is amazing, the atmosphere is incredible. The monsters are scary as hell. There were a couple times when after a few minutes of hiding from a monster, listening for his footsteps and creeping little by little out into the light, trying to figure out where he was; only to have him appear and charge me: The second or two before heThere are things this game does fantastically. The sound is amazing, the atmosphere is incredible. The monsters are scary as hell. There were a couple times when after a few minutes of hiding from a monster, listening for his footsteps and creeping little by little out into the light, trying to figure out where he was; only to have him appear and charge me: The second or two before he killed me, my skin actually tingled and I involuntarily drew breath. I felt the feeling of actual terror.

The puzzles were another high point. They were intuitive and fun, you needed just enough brainpower to solve them that you feel satisfied afterward without just guessing randomly until you get it. The story, while standard spooky fare was more than adequate and the voice acting was better than most AAA titles. Won't win any oscars, but it wasn't bad enough to take you out of the story, like some games that cost 10X more to make.

The graphics were Average at best, but the lack of visual POW never took you out of the moment. My big issue with the game was the mechanics. You have to constantly manage your light sources, which seems like an afterthought. Since you have no weapons in the game, they can't add challenge by making you manage ammo, so they just use light. Which was distracting because you have a lantern that burns out faster than Gordan Freeman's flashlight (and doesn't recharge) and a bunch of tinder boxes. These appear to be as big as beer cans, but for some reason can only be used to light ONE light source each. And as important to your survival that a single candle is... you can't pick it up and take it with you, even though it is obviously just sitting on a table. It feels like they decided that the game was too easy and needed something to make it more of a challenge.

And I get why you can't have weapons, the feeling of sheer horror as some abomination sees me from across a dark cellar is something I have never felt in a video game before... but... there are weapons literally everywhere. In your puzzles, you use huge wrenches, fireplace pokers, metal rods, flammable lamp oil, shovels, BOMBS. but your character never thinks to use one on the roughly man-sized monsters that are wandering all over the place. The last thing that really bothered me about the game is one of the first things you see when you fire it up: Some tip of advice that says something along the lines of "don't play this game to win, instead, let yourself become engrossed in the story" or something to that effect. Just because you're an indie studio, don't ask me to give you the benefit of the doubt. Just make a great game. In closing: This game has some really mind-blowing elements. You can tell the creators really love electronic gaming and bring a level of craftsmanship that a lot of the mega-titles can't touch. The sound is some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. But in the end, a lot of the game play mechanic is contrived and serves only to artificially add complexity. To everyone who gave 9s and 10s:Lets hold indie developers to a HIGHER standard, not a lower one. Because they have the passion and innovation to truly create the next great games: not the EA team working on the latest Nazi Shooting FPS ported from XBOX.
  8. Sep 9, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a must have for survival horror and more specifically fans of the Looking Glass Technologies style of gameplay.

Amnesia is a wonder of minimal gameplay mechanics. The pacing of the game is much more fluid than similar titles within the genre - Thief, System Shock, Bioshock, Penumbra, etc. Puzzles for the most part are logical and most of the time come natural. This is what sets the game apart from the packs. Using an inventory system taken from classic adventure gaming - combining objects, yet the puzzles that utilize the inventory objects are never nonsensical in the way many other adventure games use the mechanic. Since the levels are heavy in atmosphere the level design is fairly simplistic which only benefits to keep the player engaged and helps to move the puzzle solving along.

The sound design is top notch. The sound designer took field recordings were really well recorded; feels very real, atmospheric, foreboding. Amnesia is just as much an aural experience as a visual experience, sometimes the sound is so intense with the gameplay that I've taken off my headphones just to continue. It can be that intense. The story is actually very well written and sinister. Though, largely the environments are seemingly empty they are alarmingly alive with past atrocities.The 'find-documents-along-the-way' game mechanic has been done so many times in this genre. But, never has it been done so well. The story is very well written and will capture your attention unlike in other games that deploy this element. They are somewhat reminiscent in tone with the Thief series and it definitely helps that some are very well voice-acted.

The visual insanity mechanic is wonderful. I don't want to spoil it but it is visually much like tripping on LSD. Which is swirling textures, disorientation... it's pretty neat.

The physics mechanics, the atmosphere, the story, the pacing, the presentation. It's immaculate. It's very polished and much more fluid than Frictional's previous endeavors and that is saying a lot. This game is simply a must buy for those into Looking Glass type games, horror, or innovative games in general.
  9. JFF
    Sep 8, 2010
    One of the best indie games of the year. The puzzles are clever, the sounds is magnificent and the atmosphere... wow boy, the atmosphere. You can play this game at 12:00 PM in a sunny Sunday and still the game will scare The hell out of you. A must buy for horror fans.
  10. Oct 2, 2010
    Penumbra is one of my favorite horror games, but this is even better. This game really shows how a psychological horror is supposed to be made! It's really worth buying, especially because it's so cheap.
  11. Sep 8, 2010
    this game is great , very similar to penumbra but is much scary , it should be more games like this. I give it a nine because storyline could be better
  12. Nov 1, 2010
    A lot about the game-play is said already in the reviews. It's one of a disturbing game ! Frictional guys really invested themselves in making a very original gameplay. I just love the visual effects slightly distorting the first person view.
    But what I'd like to add about this game, and it's an important thing is the intercompatibility between windows, mac and linux. The penumbra games were restricted to a specific os from a purchase. So I'm happy they followed 2dboy in doing this way. However there was very annoying bugs in the first version and the linux patch were published much later than the windows one...

Also about the story I'd like to say the end was quite frustrating. Some ends kick you to the credits only with a small comment. It's more like a game over... So I feel like it's a shame and it would have deserved more.
  13. Oct 13, 2013
    A horror game that is ACTUALLY scary.... I mean REALLY scary... allow yourself to be immersed and then terrified and be stunned that a level that was essentially a platformer became a stress inducing terror.
  14. Jun 3, 2012
    I didn't expect much out of this game as I am not a fan of the horror genre, but I was plesantly surprised by it. The ability to pick up and move a good amount of things in the environment was greatly executed. The slow pacing followed by sudden shrieks or lourd noises kept me on my toes throught the whole game. I just wish some of the puzzles were more well thought out. Some of them wereI didn't expect much out of this game as I am not a fan of the horror genre, but I was plesantly surprised by it. The ability to pick up and move a good amount of things in the environment was greatly executed. The slow pacing followed by sudden shrieks or lourd noises kept me on my toes throught the whole game. I just wish some of the puzzles were more well thought out. Some of them were very difficult while others were quite easy. I wish they had implemented the ablility to stack boxes or other items to reach other areas better. The story was quite interesting at first but it began to lose steam towards the end and i ended up kinda forgetting what was going on when i did reach the end. I also felt that the ending scene was unfulfilling as well, no matter which of the 3 different endings I received. Overall it was an enjoyable experience, those that are fans of the genre should definitely look into it. If you're looking for more action, then stay away. Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2012
    While I feel it doesn't live up to the hype of Penumbra, it is still a great game. It may not be very scary, but it does give you a rush of adrenaline when you need to evade enemies. The puzzles are pretty original and symbolic, and you get a good feel for Daniel's psychosis, even though he never speaks when you are playing as him. The very beginning areas of the game, to me, were prettyWhile I feel it doesn't live up to the hype of Penumbra, it is still a great game. It may not be very scary, but it does give you a rush of adrenaline when you need to evade enemies. The puzzles are pretty original and symbolic, and you get a good feel for Daniel's psychosis, even though he never speaks when you are playing as him. The very beginning areas of the game, to me, were pretty boring. It kept me from playing the game for a few months (I forgot that I owned it for a while), but I eventually began to enjoy it. This game has become the popular "scariest game in the world" on Youtube, and you it's almost impossible to find a Partner who hasn't done a Let's Play of it (while also slapping a video of his face over the gameplay so you can see him pretend to be terrified). I think you'll enjoy it, but please, don't ham it up and pretend this game made you cry for your mommy. So in conclusion, I think this game is worth checking out, but more for the puzzles, and not for the scares.At its core, it is fun, and that's what matters. I recommend the Penumbra games if you want more. And I do mean a whole lot more. Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2010
    I was never good with horror movies. Turns out, I am not very good with horror games.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a brilliantly engineered experience. The game does a job of scaring you witless, but many of your worries will be of your own creation. Using gloomy graphics and clever ambience, you will see monsters where there are none, and run away from thin air. The game has an

The game has an intriguing story that draws you in and slowly unravels the mystery of Brennenburg, the eccentric Alexander, the protagonist Daniel and the evil that lurks in the shadows.

Amnesia deserves a place in the Hall of Fame for an experience that will leave you anxious to walk down a dimly lit hallway.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the Greatest Horror survival game to date. the mouse actions are good, the atmosphere is dark and terrifying, and its only 20$. oh and if you do pick it up, do as the game says: adjust the gamma and contrast , play it in a dark room by yourself, with a good headset. - Nov '10

OH GOD! why does this game effect me this much. maybe I take it too serious. Might not be so bad If I didnt care about not Dying so much. the piano just started playing.and I heard a moan back that way. I dont want to go back, but I have to. AAAAAAH! -Dec '10

I had to start over, didnt copy my docs saves when I Reloaded my OS. Even though I have been through the some areas before, I still dont know if the creature is gonna pop out or not. and every moan and Squeak makes me flip around, or run to the nearest door and turn the lamp off. Its Great. - Jan '11
  18. Nov 13, 2012
    Because I am not human and therefor lack human emotions, I am unable to become physically "scared". But, this game has more presence in that department than any game I have played. More please!
  19. Jul 7, 2012
    For the price, it's not a bad game. Steam had it on sale for $5 or $10 when I bought it. If you're looking for something original, this game tries some things brazenly. In the end, it becomes repetitive. Thank goodness it's fairly short. I generally take a long time to finish games, as I'm something of a completionist, but this game was done in 12 hours. Games like Deus Ex: HR tookFor the price, it's not a bad game. Steam had it on sale for $5 or $10 when I bought it. If you're looking for something original, this game tries some things brazenly. In the end, it becomes repetitive. Thank goodness it's fairly short. I generally take a long time to finish games, as I'm something of a completionist, but this game was done in 12 hours. Games like Deus Ex: HR took me closer to 50 hours, and games like Skyrim took about 100 hours. -------
    ----
    That said, those are the game's two major flaws: narrow world which makes it short, and a repetitive game play. In the beginning, when the game play hasn't had a chance to wear on you, it's a fine and novel game. You sneak around, you get scared, you run, you plan your escape routes methodically, you wonder what is going on in this hellish world. All wonderful things. And if you're like me, you'll relish the immersion, so you'll put on a pair of headphones, turn up the volume, and turn off the lights. Make sure the kiddies are asleep because you won't want them catching a glimpse of this little horror bit. It'd give them nightmares. But it doesn't do this through cheap thrills and gore - though there's a little of that. Much of it is done through understated mixtures of sound and visuals. ----------
    ----
    Still, eventually you long to be able to use some of the things you find to at least hinder creatures. It feels like I should be able to use some simple lamp oil to set these nasties on fire - especially if I felt like wasting my precious oil, or if I'd been especially careful about saving it, as I was. And eventually you get the hang of the AI, but I can't complain too much about that. For what it's worth, the AI is better than new games like Deus Ex: HR. Probably the worst offending part of the repetitive gameplay is that the game actually gets easier if you reload more than twice. That's sad. Being a completionist, I *enjoy* the challenge of retrying the occasional situation a third or fourth time. That should be rare, since it breaks the immersion, but so does a monster totally disappearing from a zone because I happened to be taking a sip of beer on the first playthrough, and didn't quite get it right on the second playthrough. It detracts from the game's serious attraction: brutal and unforgiving horror survival. That gameplay would also be seriously enhanced with more to do in the game and more to explore other than the single dungeon. There were many times I asked myself, why would I stay in such a deathtrap?? I'd like to at least break a window and climb outside in the snow and discover that I couldn't travel far without the wolves attacking. Perhaps that would lead to some interesting gameplay with me exploring the stables and finding a demolished wagon, or perhaps I'd find that the roads leading to this castle were treacherously steep as poor Jonathan Harker discovers in Bram Stoker. These diversion would make sense, give me a break from the monotony of the castle, and immerse me in the world a little.------
    ---
    All in all, though, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the game for the pennies I paid. The game studio deserved my money, and perhaps we'll see more developed games from them in the future.
  20. Jan 3, 2012
    After I had finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I felt I could wear my victory as a badge of honor and experience against any and all horrors the video games industry could throw at me. For nothing could possibly compare to the masterpiece created by Norden and Frictional Games.

These folks have fear down to a science. Suspense that makes you remind yourself (hopelessly) that it's just a game, scenery that's to die for, music expertly integrated into your nervous system, sounds that quickly match your heart rate, a story I can't believe didn't come out of a novel, and seamless game play between fleeing horrors your friends won't understand and Valve-worthy physics puzzles.

The only hurtle for me was that this game did not immunize me to horror, but had by all means destroyed me. Thank you Frictional Games. Indie delivers again.

It's a shame Amnesia was not made by Russians, because you don't beat this game. It beats you.
  21. Feb 12, 2012
    Finally! A survival horror game - that is a survival horror game! Well done gaming industry as a whole! Was it really that difficult? Anyway, enough of this obnoxiousness. I thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia despite it's clunky controls. Genuinely terrifying with a very well told story that requires player exploration instead of intense cut-scene overkill. The removal of combat that was presentFinally! A survival horror game - that is a survival horror game! Well done gaming industry as a whole! Was it really that difficult? Anyway, enough of this obnoxiousness. I thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia despite it's clunky controls. Genuinely terrifying with a very well told story that requires player exploration instead of intense cut-scene overkill. The removal of combat that was present in the Penumbra series (also made by Frictional) really helps keep the pace and prevents frustrating mouse swinging angst. You survive by running and hiding. The shadows are as much your friends as they are your enemies adding an element of risk to all of your actions. To a certain extent it has the same appeal as a well thought out point-and-click adventure with simplistic gameplay that allows you to get absorbed by the terrifically dark atmosphere instead of having you scrolling through inventory lists and entering attack combos. This game won't be for everyone, and many people will simply be bored by the lack of action and direct story telling. But I don't think this game was ever trying to grab a mainstream audience and all its appeal is rather quite niche. But nonetheless, it is a game that most should at least visit, for it truly is a welcome sleeper indie hit for us horror fans. This game is best played in a dark room with a decent headset. In fact I refuse to play this game during the day! It's also a good idea to have your face pressed up to the screen so you sh*t yourself quicker. True story. Expand
  22. Aug 1, 2012
    One of the best true horror games of all time. This is game is not for the faint of heart, you will be scared **** A must buy for every horror fan.
  23. May 16, 2012
    Have you ever imagined playing a game in which you are afraid to check what is beyond the next corner, behind the next door ? I have, and boy was I with mixed feelings while playing this game. Amnesia: The dark descent is a game in which you do not have your guns with which you can shoot monsters between the eyes, nor blades with which to cut them to shreds for trying to kill you ... nope.Have you ever imagined playing a game in which you are afraid to check what is beyond the next corner, behind the next door ? I have, and boy was I with mixed feelings while playing this game. Amnesia: The dark descent is a game in which you do not have your guns with which you can shoot monsters between the eyes, nor blades with which to cut them to shreds for trying to kill you ... nope. The dark atmosphere, blood spills from paintings, screams that you hear in the begining of the game that echo in your mind until you finally lose the courage to continue on and just Save+Quit is what you will expirience in this game. Darkness is all around, making you lose your sanity and the only thing that could probably help you out is a little candle or a oil lamp - that is what keeps you from losing your mind in the game - light ! I will not spoil the story and start telling what you will see and thus spoiling all the "fun" you will expirience. The only thing I can tell you is this - must buy for all horror fans ! And even if you ARE an extreme horror fan - do NOT get overconfident - this game will crush you if you take it lightly ... think I am joking ? Play it at night on a widescreen monitor with all the lights turned off, doors tightly shut, headphones strapped tightly to your ears and dare finish the game in one go ... I dare you ! The story and game is said to be 4-5 hours ... well it took me 5 times starting the game with 2 hours of game time ... I couldn't afford any more of it, else you can't sleep at all !

For those that are "graphics obsessed" I can say that the game may not be in CryEngine 2, but the atmosphere from the sounds and everything else will make you stop paying attention to how pretty that rocking chair in the room is and make you ask yourself non-stop "Oh my God, what is that behind the corner ?!?!?!?!?!"
  24. Sep 28, 2012
    Anyone who loves horror should definitely try Amnesia. This game is able to enter into the human psyche, so if you follow the advice given before starting (play in the dark with headphones) you will certainly be taken from the atmosphere around Daniel.
  25. Jan 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly terrifying game that is only rivaled by the other series made by this company, Penumbra. Unlike most horror games, this one focuses less on "monsters jumping from the closet" scares and is chock full of psychological and moral horror. Even without the literal monsters, the plot is full of human monsters; torture, human sacrifices, black magic and sorcery make the game reek of evil. The immersive sound design and well-implemented screen & graphical effects feed the fear of being cornered by other worldly monsters and human abominations. Without any weapons to fight back, this is a genuine "survival horror" game that you should pick up and lose sleep over. Expand
  26. Dec 17, 2010
    This game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep youThis game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep you on your guard as there are factors like sanity, stay in the light and you will stay sane, stay in the darkness however and your sanity will start to decrease or witnessing unnatural events will as well. The game has great graphics and spectacular sound and atmosphere, this is a must play! Expand
  27. Oct 24, 2010
    Amnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so youAmnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so you truly feel fear for not knowing what's around the corner or hiding in the dark. And, the puzzles themselves are at the same time challening but with solutions reached by the use of reason and exploring.

Graphics are quite good considering the minimum requirements that the game asks. I have seen a review from one critics that he struggled on making this game playable. I don't really know what game he was playing, but this one didn't require from me even a minor tweak to get good fps or to fix any bugs. It simply sets the recommended settings depending on what graphics card that you are using.

The story is quite good and makes your moral compass struggle between what's right and what's wrong. This game is also about collecting clues to regain a sense of what happened and why you don't remember anything.

So, to sume it all up, it's a must buy and it really has an excellent value considering the $19.99 price tag on steam. Hell, if I would have known that it was this good, I would have payed $49.99. It truly is better than most titles that reach the $49.99 price tag.
  28. Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing game. Delivered the much loved penumbra-esque atmosphere, yet felt nothing like Penumbra, which is a plus in my book. The atmosphere, the story, the intensity and the gameplay mechanics all suck you in. I only wish it were longer! (and that the end was a bit better...)
  29. Nov 5, 2010
    Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident;Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident; depending on the person.

What Amnesia gives you is a first person survival that reminds me of elements from Half-Life puzzles, Doom 3 sudden enemy appearances and events, and enemies that are so twisted and flayed that I would expect that Alma from F.E.A.R. to do.

To recap I intend on setting aside of few nights to stay up all night and experience the terror that Amnesia will have in store for me in the full version of it. It created a hunger for utter terror in me that I'm not sure that I should be ignoring it or concerned about it.
  30. Nov 6, 2010
    I confess that this is not the sort of game I usually go for but I decided to give it a try for several reasons: I'd read numerous reviews singing it's praises; it was a bargain on Steam over the Halloween weekend; it is available on multiple platforms (I am a big fan of supporting developers who support my freedom of choice for OS) and I believe in supporting indie games development. II confess that this is not the sort of game I usually go for but I decided to give it a try for several reasons: I'd read numerous reviews singing it's praises; it was a bargain on Steam over the Halloween weekend; it is available on multiple platforms (I am a big fan of supporting developers who support my freedom of choice for OS) and I believe in supporting indie games development. I was pleasantly surprised therefore that Amnesia: The Dark Descent really does live up to the hype (which I suppose I am adding to!). Amnesia exceeded my expectations in almost every regard: the graphics, while not on a par with AAA+ games, were strong (excellent for such a small developer); the audio was truly superb; the levels were well designed; the puzzles were (for the most part) logical and necessary and the story was compelling. All of this combined to great effect to make an incredibly immersive game that simultaneously drew me in while making me want to stop playing and go outside into the sunshine for a while - with clear lines of sight and heavily armed just in case... So why not give the game 10 out of 10? Aside from a couple of occasions in the game where I was unsure what to do next, which in reality probably says more about me that the game, my only criticism would be that ending was weaker than I'd expected. Maybe this is something to do with how well constructed the rest of the game was but the ending felt quite abrupt. After playing Amnesia I am keenly aware that this is what a survival-horror game should be. Other games I have played recently using that label, such as the Left 4 Dead games and Resident Evil series, do not come close. Amnesia introduced me to fear, the need to survive by hiding in the shadows on the edge of sanity, the dread of knowing there was nothing I could do should I be found, before unveiling the horror of the reality in which I found myself and which both fascinated and repulsed me... Somehow I just don't think facing horrors with a shotgun will ever instill that same sense of fear and dread...

Frictional Games is definitely a developer i shall be following in future.

Overall Amnesia is an experience I would recommend to everyone... except those under the age of 18 or with a weak disposition... :-)
  31. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. One of the best games I have ever played. The atmosphere is gorgeous. The game play is very straight but in its simplicity it's perfect. Add freaky monsters, entertaining plot and great ambiance and you should have no dilemma about buying this game. It's absolutely outstanding and miles away from other survival horror games. I can ercommend this game to everyone who like to be scaried. Collapse

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.