And Yet It Moves PC

6.2

1. Jun 25, 2012
    And Yet It Moves
    Developer/Publisher: Broken Rules
    Release: 4/2/09 Genre: 2D platformer, Puzzle Platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Wiiware DRM free And Yet It Moves was a game I got from a Humble bundle a while ago. It was a game that I that I looked forward to and tried to enjoy but couldn't I had beaten this game once and have played it again and both times I have dislike this
    And Yet It Moves
    Developer/Publisher: Broken Rules
    Release: 4/2/09
    Genre: 2D platformer, Puzzle
    Platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Wiiware
    DRM free

And Yet It Moves was a game I got from a Humble bundle a while ago. It was a game that I that I looked forward to and tried to enjoy but couldn't I had beaten this game once and have played it again and both times I have dislike this game due to it's design. The game was a great idea but the execution of it was bad. I will try to objectively as possible tell you why it's just bad game to avoid.

Game play: The game is played as a 2D platformer with a twist where you can rotate the world. This changes how you navigate the worlds as you take into account of gravity and fall speed. It is a great idea but it isn't done well enough. In the first chapter and the first half of the second chapter, it works good as the game slowly introduces new elements. These levels are not frustrating and are fun. It's after the second half of chapter two is were it goes downhill. Levels become for frustrating where you need to do multiple rotations quickly along with avoiding death traps and bottomless pits. This is due to how gravity and fall speed affects your character. Once your character begins to flail, this means you will go splat after landing and it easy to do it as rotating speeds this up. Now you may think that as long as you take your time and not marathon this game then it should be enjoyable but this is not the case. It requires a lot of precision and there is a noticeable lag. Key presses can be ignored by the game if you rotate too quickly. You can easily notice this in time trial mode were your times can wildly vary from 3-7 seconds on one checkpoint along even when just about the same thing. I one got seven minutes when I felt I did worse getting to the checkpoint then the last one. Unfortunately I can't officially verify it as bad programing but it was frustrating. Later levels spread their check points out quite far where you have to re-due plenty of frustrating sections again. Now if your a completionist like I am and want to complete time trial mode then prepared to be frustrated. The third level speed run demonstrates this and I would hate to play the fourth one and navigate bats through the level. The ending is not worth it as it's just a simple thanks for playing message. I hated this game once I had beaten it.

Graphics:

The graphics are paper cut outlines of real world images. It basically a Paper Mario style except it doesn't blend well. It stands out a lot in not a good way. Only the last chapter looks good with it's trippy look. There are very few animations except for a few and the character's is the best. He looks like a very detailed stop motion animation that is very complete looking. Sound in the game is also lacking with only a few sound effects and one song that sounds like sound effects. It's gives the game a lonely and boring feel.

Conclusion:

This game is bad. The level design is okay in the first half of the game but the later half is frustrating due to the precision required. Add time trial mode and the levels are just plain frustrating to play. That is not fun. It's graphically and audibly dull thought the game. Only the final chapter as some good art design. I can't recommend this game to anyone and would suggest avoiding it.
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    I can see that it's not badly executed, it's just that i find it approximately as enjoyable as being read the phone directory... Not punched in the balls level but it's just not fun for me.
  3. May 15, 2013
    Perhaps the controls are better on the Wii, but they are bulky and infuriating on the PC. The concept, I'll admit, is awesome, but the constant frustration at inaccurate or inconsistent mechanics (bamboo jumps, anyone?) makes it unbearable.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    I can understand why people may like this game, but it really isn't for me… “And Yet It Moves” is a puzzle platformer game which has one goal; get to the end of the level without being horribly dismembered by traps or falling too far too fast! The obscure element involved in the game is the ability to turn the map around whilst your character remains stationed the same way. Trying to beI can understand why people may like this game, but it really isn't for me… “And Yet It Moves” is a puzzle platformer game which has one goal; get to the end of the level without being horribly dismembered by traps or falling too far too fast! The obscure element involved in the game is the ability to turn the map around whilst your character remains stationed the same way. Trying to be objective I can see how those who like the puzzle genre could appreciate it’s challenging nature and even the art style of the game, but as I said the game just doesn't do anything for me; I find it a little to challenging and a little bit of a bore! Expand
  5. Jul 27, 2011
    The graphics are ugly to the point of being slightly unsettling. The controls are slow and awkward. The levels are tedious and frustrating while being boring. It's a gimmicky game that you can play better versions of for free elsewhere... it's like a lame version of Shift ... http://armorgames.com/play/751/shift

Got this as part of a bundle... glad I didn't pay anything for it.
  6. Nov 25, 2010
    Hate to be the voice of reason here, but this game is not good. I am all for indie games, and these days, they are my main source of entertainment. However, And Yet It Moves fails to entertain. It's a poor platformer with stiff controls. Dying repeatedly isn't the infuriating part of the game, oh no. The so called "soundtrack" is. It's a random assortment of poor attempts at beat boxingHate to be the voice of reason here, but this game is not good. I am all for indie games, and these days, they are my main source of entertainment. However, And Yet It Moves fails to entertain. It's a poor platformer with stiff controls. Dying repeatedly isn't the infuriating part of the game, oh no. The so called "soundtrack" is. It's a random assortment of poor attempts at beat boxing and other similar vocal noises. The game play honestly just feels stale. The whole point is to rotate the map, and unfortunately, that's as far from linear as the game gets. Every goal is simply start to finish. As a mainly retro gamer, this isn't a concept that I'm unused to, but when the game makes no attempt to freshen this up, it creates a very boring experience. Rating this game on the same scale to other indie games is just unfortunate. The game's "artstyle" is very poor. I imagine that some people think that it's "interesting" and "cool." But honestly, it isn't. It's a shoddy assortment of random google JPGs. The lead character looks especially bad. Quite honestly, just looking at him makes no sense. Everything in this game seems to be poised to just sell gimmick as a game. From one side of the coin, you could say that game is a platformer with unique elements, distinct artstyle and intriguing soundtrack. On the other side, you see a talentless game making a stale game because he has no artistic talent and musical skills. The ratings this game has been receiving are unfortunate because there are so many better indie games out there that are so overlooked. Expand
  7. Nov 2, 2011
    Game is unplayable without a motion controller. I got frustrated and bored in the first level and never played it again... The graphics could be better too...
  8. Nov 9, 2015
    Wouldn't be worth the time even if it were a free flash game. Based around the decent gimmick of rotating the level to progress, but with ugly visuals, bland audio, and poor level design that doesn't support the core mechanic very well. Feels slippery and hard to control, with death by falling damage annoying to judge. Physics can be easily broken to skip parts of levels. MinimalismWouldn't be worth the time even if it were a free flash game. Based around the decent gimmick of rotating the level to progress, but with ugly visuals, bland audio, and poor level design that doesn't support the core mechanic very well. Feels slippery and hard to control, with death by falling damage annoying to judge. Physics can be easily broken to skip parts of levels. Minimalism doesn't equal quality. Expand

1. AYIM is a novel, fun and incredibly infuriating game that will pass the time, just don’t expect it to turn your world upside-down.
  2. Independent, unfamiliar and unknown: And Yet It Moves is the kind of game you rarely ever get to review – and yet I instantly fell in love with the fresh style, interesting concept and funny gameplay. It may not be a high-budget-production, but it’s certainly worth your while and money!
  3. And Yet It Moves is one of those unique titles that only come around once in a while. The 15 dollar price tag may deter a few but competition modes, achievements and a stunning audio-visual experience make the title well worth the price. If nothing else, you’ll be getting a unique and dizzying adventure through this not-so common puzzle platformer.