7.3

1. Sep 27, 2013
    I played AVGN adventures for 5 hours straight and enjoyed myself. It was fun, but my main issue with the game is the price tag. For 15 dollars or cheaper you can get great games such as DuckTales Remastered or Vulgar the Viking, which are polished masterpieces with more effort put into them. AVGN is a fun game, just nothing that will even come close to your favorite NES games. There's aI played AVGN adventures for 5 hours straight and enjoyed myself. It was fun, but my main issue with the game is the price tag. For 15 dollars or cheaper you can get great games such as DuckTales Remastered or Vulgar the Viking, which are polished masterpieces with more effort put into them. AVGN is a fun game, just nothing that will even come close to your favorite NES games. There's a lack of ambition in it, it doesn't even try to achieve greatness in the ways that NES game developers did. When they went out to make a game, they tried to create a whole atmosphere. Maybe AVGNA doesn't take itself seriously enough. I didn't find it's repetitive poop jokes that funny or copy pasting things that were said in the show for the only sake of having references to everything in the show. I love AVGN, the episodes are great and always funny, but the game was not. Expand
  2. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're a fan of AVGN, you'll love all the references and hidden secrets, and thats what this game shines as, a little AVGN extravaganza. As a game itself....it's merely ok. I found myself rather liking the retro graphics and the music was actually rather good. The controls however are iffy at times, and given how precise the game demands you to be, it can sometimes be more frustrating then it's worth. The levels are also hit or miss. All are visually unique from one another, and while about half of them I would say were well done and extremely fun to play, the other half quickly became a chore and sucked all the fun from the game(case in point, whoever designed the BOO! level should have their hands chopped off in public, it is the laziest, most uninspired and boring level layout I have ever seen, the entire thing was the same long annoying gimmick for the entire trek). However it was never aneurysm inducing enough to make me stop playing(though I did have to knock the difficulty down a peg), and upon completing it I found myself smiling, it was a Nerd experience, for worse, and thankfully, for the better aswell. Expand
  3. Oct 6, 2013
    This game has a very hard difficulty, but the controls are great, so if you die, it's on you!
    (or the unfair difficulty...)
    A cheap game (only 15 dollars) and well worth the money, and has a good (but sometimes repetitive) soundtrack. While this game is kinda made for the AVGN audience, you can still pick it up without too much knowledge of the show and it'll still be fun, you just
    (or the unfair difficulty...)
    While this game is kinda made for the AVGN audience, you can still pick it up without too much knowledge of the show and it'll still be fun, you just might not understand all the references.
  4. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[6.0]
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's good, worth a couple dollars no more. I've been watching AVGN for a long time now, and this game is very suiting. But don't pay too much; to won't be worth your investment. Catch this game on sale if you can. This is the short answer. If you want to know more read on.

The good:

The controls are good, though definitely use a controller. A keyboard has felt clumsy for me and the developers definitely had using a playstation or xbox controller in mind.

The story is VERY AVGN. It's a bit of fun and makes it worth playing for a while. If you've watched AVGN a lot, you'll see a lot of references to his videos throughout the game. The humor is funny for a little while, but it gets a bit tiresome.

The music is great. Every stage has different theme and it's some of the best 8-bit music out there. The sound effects make it sound like your zapper or sound waves are really inflicting quite a bit of damage on the enemies you hit. These are great compliments to the game.

The difficulty is quite hard, but once you get used to the controls, you'll be blaming yourself rather than the game for deaths. The first few stages aren't terribly difficult in comparison with the later stages (they'll give you a run for your money though), but the later ones aren't nearly so easy. More on that later.

I haven't had any major gripes with the types of enemies.

The eh:

The stages get very repetitive and by the end, you don't feel like you're really playing a different stage with completely new enemies. Most of the enemies are reskins from other levels. For example, the fireballs, the happy faces, the flying ghosts, the squids are all the same, just different shapes. These are the most common enemies, and you can't even kill them. Furthermore, there aren't enough enemies for the diversity of weapons. So many times have I wanted to slaughter a band of enemies with my light saber but rarely do any come. And the ones that do come are so difficult to hit, it's easier to just avoid them than to risk getting hurt by one.

The extra characters are cool, but they're usually impractical to use. The guitar guy has a better weapon, but he can't aim it and he can't jump as high as the Nerd. It's too bad there aren't quite that many enemies that can be killed. Mike jumps higher than the nerd, but he's a bit clumsier and his weapon isn't nearly as good as either of the others (kind of like Luigi in the recent 3D Marios). The man gets a special second jump, but even with both jumps he still can't jump higher than the Nerd. His weapon sucks, don't use it. There aren't really any points in the game where you realize you HAVE to use another character. It's a shame because this could have been a real good opportunity for a bit of a puzzle design.

Powerups are in the game, but they're too scant to be useful. Plus sometimes they don't even do anything good anyway! The glitch gremlin will stop all enemy movement, but what good does it do if you have standstill ghosts everywhere and there's no way to jump over them all? It's impossible to freeze them at the perfect time.

The later stages are just tedious. Multiple obstacles face you in every direction and the game isn't even fair for most of them. For example, the haunted stage involves moving platforms that you have to keep up with. But if you haven't played that part of the stage before, you're bound to fall off because of the unpredictable motions of the platform. I understand a couple deaths to this, but the coupling of the platforms, enemies, and those wretched death blocks make the game outright frustrating.

In fact, my biggest gripe has got to be the death blocks. The death blocks are everywhere and they don't add to the game experience. If you touch them, you'll die instantaenously; it doesn't matter how many beers you have left. With so many in the game, you will come to realize that there's no reason to avoid the other flying enemies since your main obstacle are those death blocks. The death blocks are strategically placed in stupid locations designed to make you die and start all over again. They just seem like cheap deaths. With so many death blocks around, it's nearly impossible to beat the game on normal difficulty, let alone hard.

The humor feels much much darker than the Nerd is in his videos. Maybe it's the open-mouthed shock-face that James instills in his character every time something goes horribly wrong that the game developers didn't manage to recreate in-game. The nerd starts dissing the game too early and never stops.

Conclusion:

If you're a fan of the Nerd, get this game under one condition: don't buy this game for more than $7! The game gets a couple things perfectly right but then forgets or gets too lazy to change it up. If the developers didn't want to spend the extra time to program new and intuitive enemies, better levels, and more exciting uses of your teammates, you shouldn't pay the extra money to buy this game.

1. Dec 31, 2013
    AVGN Adventures is a great platform, hard to play but funny, designed for the fans of the show and for those who love real challenges in videogames.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    Connoisseurs of "fine humor" and fans of the Angry Nerd need not think twice about spending those 14 Euros. Go get it! It's a surprisingly solid, profanity-filled and feces-fixated chaos of a game. Hard, but fair, you'll find yourself flinging obscenities at the screen on a regular basis.
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures is a solid action/platforming throwback, but it’s held back by the subpar games it lampoons. It plays well and packs a challenge, but the by-the-numbers level design detracts from the fun. I recommend AVGNA for fans of the show and anyone looking for straight-up punishment without much substance.