• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Sep 21, 2012
5.1

1. Nov 15, 2012
    Anna really frustrates me to death. On one hand, it is exactly the type of game (or more accurately, experience) I love: Great looking environments, freaky atmosphere, chilling story (though nothing extensive at all, but it makes you think a bit about what happened to the characters and to draw your own conclusion), and AWESOME soundtrack. Anna is much like Dear Esther which I actuallyAnna really frustrates me to death. On one hand, it is exactly the type of game (or more accurately, experience) I love: Great looking environments, freaky atmosphere, chilling story (though nothing extensive at all, but it makes you think a bit about what happened to the characters and to draw your own conclusion), and AWESOME soundtrack. Anna is much like Dear Esther which I actually liked for the same reasons, but Anna is an actual interactive puzzle game. So then on the other hand, the "puzzles" are absolutely frustrating and over-complicated, and most of the stuff you have to do to progress seems simply done to extend the game's playtime (which is more than a few hours without using the help system or cheating with a walk-through online). In the end, Anna is a daring experiment I am glad I experienced but doubt I would visit again. Expand
  2. Sep 27, 2012
    I picked this up on Steam when it was released as it seemed like an interesting concept, however there are a few problems with it that are hard to get over.

Firstly the character walks very slowly, and while early on this isn't a problem it becomes annoying during the later segments that have large areas you need to keep backtracking through. The Graphics are visually fine but nothing

The Graphics are visually fine but nothing exceptional, some low res textures here and there and some models are quite blocky.

Horror wise it isn't too bad, a few paranormal events happen every now and again when you're in an area too long which are quite nice, sort of like what Underhell did during the House segment.

My main issue though is the almost random tasks and the hint system, the game suffers from the typical adventure game problem of having illogical tasks and solutions and the game has a hint system, unfortunately that hint system often doesn't tell you what you need to do on a certain task or is very vague, there is also no way of checking the tasks so I would often be wandering around only to find there was an item I missed picking up.
    There is also problems with using some items on certain areas, you may use the item on the object but you often have to click just in the right area for it to work.

If you like point and click games or art games you might like Anna, and it's probably worth playing if you see it cheap, however it's quite short and gets let down by the vagueness of the tasks.
  3. Nov 22, 2012
    I really like this game. Yes, it is quite short and yes, you may want to wait until it is for sale and not pay the full price. Other than that, it has received a major makeover with a new optional hint-system that helps you out where the solution is too obscure. I find all solutions logical, especially since you have only a few items in your inventory and objects to interact with - so evenI really like this game. Yes, it is quite short and yes, you may want to wait until it is for sale and not pay the full price. Other than that, it has received a major makeover with a new optional hint-system that helps you out where the solution is too obscure. I find all solutions logical, especially since you have only a few items in your inventory and objects to interact with - so even try and error gets you progress easily. Sadly, the developers implemented an obligatory registration via email for the game to be started at all. The game manages to build up a lot of tension and atmosphere with only a few rooms to explore. The soundtrack and triggered events are well implemented into the game-play. The controls are smooth, the graphics beautiful and if you take your time to explore and recap what you have seen and found, you will find the solution on your own. I have only one issue with it and that is that there is a possible ending within 20 minutes of the game. If you do not know that this is a speed run alternative ending, you may get frustrated. Simply waiting a few minutes before unlocking the final step for the quick ending will solve this problem. There are three endings to unlock and I was encouraged enough by the game and the storytelling to find them all. In total, this will still be a quick play-through with about 3 to 4 hours if you take your time. For me, the experience was worth the price but I guess you really have to like this kind of puzzle game. If you are not a fan of both subtle horror and puzzle adventure and if you do not want to spend time just enjoying the ambiance, this game is probably not for you. Expand

1. Oct 11, 2012
    Design and technical implementation issues mar a promising adventure. [Oct 2012, p.83]
  2. Sep 18, 2012
    This Italian indie game doesn't live up to our expectations, but it is in a position to deliver some interesting adventure/ horror moments and can offer some great replay value.
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    Too short and underdeveloped, Anna is an interesting experiment that won't reach a wider audience but shows Dreampainters' potential. [10/2012, p.74]