6.5

1. Apr 29, 2013
    If you are in your mid-twenties, this is the only game you should play this year. Its an inspirational game made by people like us, about us.

I grew up on FF3, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger and Zelda. This game fits into that world, explores it further in many respects, and falls short as well. As you go through the game, you realize these game devs played those games, and they remember what it was like to be a kid. The nostalgia goes beyond the stylization and pixel art. Its as much an homage to the genre as it is to the kids that PLAYED the genre back in early nineties. The game is a gift to its users. For that reason, it gets high marks from me. I have trouble critiquing what I didn't enjoy because it was part of the art. The aforementioned games are TEDIOUS, and Anodyne has annoying spots that require some keyboard jujitsu to jump holes.

The game features the best post completion New Game+ experience that I've come across. I won't give away spoilers, but the rabbit hole goes deep.
  2. Mar 27, 2013
    As far as owl rock sims go.....this game was an epic thrill ride. I barley even used my whole seat because i was on the edge of it the whole damn time!
  3. Mar 27, 2013
    A great little game. Slick controls, a nice atmosphere and some real excellent music. What starts off as merely strange becomes a journey into the bizarre. Can't recommend this gem enough. On sale right now for 30% off which is a great deal, but honestly $10 bucks isn't too much to ask for a game with as much charm as this.
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    Wow, what a great game. Anodyne serves as a fun little Indie game that put me on the edge of my seat for
    hours on end. This game proves you don't need tens of millions of dollars to create a amazing game. If you haven't bought it, seriously, go do it, I mean like now, DO IT for the price of only 10 bucks!)

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Anodyne falls between average and perfection, offering a strange, funny, horrifying few hours of old-school action-adventure. [June 2013, p.91]
  2. May 3, 2013
    Anodyne’s weaknesses would’ve been greatly justified by a solid narrative. Instead, we’re left with a semi-decent dungeon crawler featuring some rather attractive sprite art and great soundtrack.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    Anodyne is a well done Zelda clone with a stunning story. The vintage gaming fan will love it.