Antichamber PC

• Publisher: Demruth
  • Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
8.2

1. Oct 14, 2013
    It's definitely the most original first person puzzle game yet, but as to whether it's an enjoyable experience... The Jury is out. Definitely gets points for effort though.
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    A very interesting game, and done with style. Great puzzles, a really fresh concept. I'm still not giving it a 10 because I somewhat got bored with the writings in the black squares. They seem witty at first, but after a while they look like they pretend to be philosophic or deep but in fact are just banalities dragged in to fit the mechanics of the solved puzzle. I hope that if theA very interesting game, and done with style. Great puzzles, a really fresh concept. I'm still not giving it a 10 because I somewhat got bored with the writings in the black squares. They seem witty at first, but after a while they look like they pretend to be philosophic or deep but in fact are just banalities dragged in to fit the mechanics of the solved puzzle. I hope that if the developer decides to make a sequel or an update, he/she would maybe add some kind of story to the game so that the puzzles were connected more meaningfully to each other and didn't look just like a mechanical assembly. But anyway, very talented game design. Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2014
    For those who are looking for a challenging puzzle game that not only taxes the way you think about puzzles but the way you think about puzzle games you'll probably love Antichamber - unless the game manages to troll you really good by causing you to waste hours of your life on a puzzle with a simple solution or a trick answer. Then you'll probably wish you never bought the game. AfterFor those who are looking for a challenging puzzle game that not only taxes the way you think about puzzles but the way you think about puzzle games you'll probably love Antichamber - unless the game manages to troll you really good by causing you to waste hours of your life on a puzzle with a simple solution or a trick answer. Then you'll probably wish you never bought the game. After something similar happened to me, I just didn't have the heart to keep playing. Those who are more persistent and have copious amounts of time might fare better. Expand
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    A game that is surely likely to mess up with your mind. Antichamber can easily boast with its unique art style and rather mind-bending environments. It presents itself as one enormous labyrinth full of various puzzles. However, the puzzles often require you to think outside the box and a lot of the time do not follow standard rules of physics. You could end up in a never-ending corridor,A game that is surely likely to mess up with your mind. Antichamber can easily boast with its unique art style and rather mind-bending environments. It presents itself as one enormous labyrinth full of various puzzles. However, the puzzles often require you to think outside the box and a lot of the time do not follow standard rules of physics. You could end up in a never-ending corridor, or you could turn around and realise a completely different way has opened up than the one you came from. Sometimes you’d end up walking in circles, other times confronted with branching paths.

The style of presentation in Antichamber is definitely commendable, but is it really fun? The mind-bending environments are interesting at first, but the novelty wears off very quickly and instead you start wishing that the game would just stop misleading you all the time. The game has a very non-linear approach to it. A lot of the time if you’re stuck, you can simply return back to the ‘lobby’ area and pick a different path and solve the puzzles along that route. Eventually all routes are meant to be important, or at least that’s what I’ve gathered anyway.

One of the problems about this approach is that as you go on through the labyrinth, you will acquire certain devices that will allow you to pick up and place cubes of different colours in your environment and are meant to be used to solve some of the game’s puzzles. This means that at times you’ll be coming across puzzles that you can’t yet solve until you’ve gotten the right device, which can at times be annoying because there’s no way to tell whether a puzzle in front of you can or cannot be solved at the time. A lot of the game’s ‘rules’ don’t seem to make much logical sense and require a lot of random experimentation. For example, walking over some of the drops will create a path in front of you, or trying to pick up green cubes from the middle of the structure they’re in will cause its ends to disintegrate, leaving you with less cubes to work with.

Throughout the game there is also a number of philosophical quotes scattered about. However, most of those quotes don’t inspire much thought and instead are a collection of common sense mantras that you’re more likely to teach your kids. It’s stuff like ‘sometimes you’ve got to go backwards before you can go forwards’. As you go collecting each quote, they all compile on a huge screen in the lobby area. To what end I am not sure, because I didn’t collect them all, but it seems as though it tries to draw a diagram of a person’s life and some of the time they seem relevant to the puzzle in a nearby room.

Overall the game’s setting is way too abstract for my liking. I couldn’t get much satisfaction from solving the game’s puzzles, because every time I solved a tricky puzzle, the game would either take me back to where I’ve been already, or bring me to one of the puzzles that I cannot yet solve. The sense of progression is not felt and there is little to no incentive to keep going through the remainder of the labyrinth. After several hours in I got tired of coming back to the same puzzles over and over again, so I ended up giving up on the game. I think Antichamber is the kind of game that you either get it or you don’t. It stands out with its unique art style and unorthodox way of puzzle solving, but it’s hardly rewarding for the player and I couldn’t get much fun out of it.
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    Antichamber is an interesting game. It tries really hard to be different which might really please some people. It certainly feels different from other first person puzzle games which might be a reason to pick this game up if you are getting bored of other games in the same genre. I am not entirely in love with everything about this game though. First of all i should mention that i gotAntichamber is an interesting game. It tries really hard to be different which might really please some people. It certainly feels different from other first person puzzle games which might be a reason to pick this game up if you are getting bored of other games in the same genre. I am not entirely in love with everything about this game though. First of all i should mention that i got really badly dizzy and nauseated when playing this game. I have never experienced this before despite gaming for quite a long time and this might be a total deal breaker for people more sensitive than i am. It did certainly affect my time with this game negatively. Puzzle-wise it is quite varied. The game do have some really interesting puzzles that feels smart and fresh, But it also have some quite odd puzzles that just is not all that fun to solve. I am also not a big fan of the non-linear progression system in the game. In theory its sound cool to be able to solve different puzzles at different places at your own pace. However since some puzzles are unsolvable without the proper tools gained trough solving a different puzzle you might find yourself trying to solve a unsolvable puzzle which is not all that fun. Antichamber is not a bad game but its not a game that will appeal to all kinds of players. It certainly didn't appeal to me and being kind of clever from time to time doesn't excuse the fact that the general gameplay wasn't all that enjoyable for me. Expand
  6. Feb 5, 2013
    Fun fun fun. What else could you want? Some people are complaining about it being too difficult, too nerdy, boring, whatever they are saying, but don't pay any attention to them. The puzzles are interesting, they feel good to solve, and if I didn't know any better I would say that this game is making me smarter. The music facilitates a kind of creepiness that I really enjoyed, plus youFun fun fun. What else could you want? Some people are complaining about it being too difficult, too nerdy, boring, whatever they are saying, but don't pay any attention to them. The puzzles are interesting, they feel good to solve, and if I didn't know any better I would say that this game is making me smarter. The music facilitates a kind of creepiness that I really enjoyed, plus you never shake that feeling that you never know what might pop up next at any moment around any corner, or just right behind you. I really enjoyed every second of it and hope that like Portal it gets expanded into a full fledged big budget game, because the creative minds behind this game really deserve a bigger audience. Expand
  7. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + Conceptually amazing
    + Interesting and innovative puzzle designs
    + One of a kind
    - Somewhat inconsistent in execution
    - A little rough around the edges
  8. Nov 30, 2013
    Nothing you've ever played before. This game will make other parts of your brain work. First steps teach you new ways of thinking, building new patterns of game-play, purposefully counter-intuitive to the way classic games are played. Then difficulty progresses and you'll be pleasantly surprised to approach Antichamber with ways you'd never have thought doing in a game. At some point, youNothing you've ever played before. This game will make other parts of your brain work. First steps teach you new ways of thinking, building new patterns of game-play, purposefully counter-intuitive to the way classic games are played. Then difficulty progresses and you'll be pleasantly surprised to approach Antichamber with ways you'd never have thought doing in a game. At some point, you get addicted and don't stop playing, even though you don't even know what you're trying to achieve and why! Very clever and bold from the devs to have come up with such innovative game that competes with nowadays gaming standards. Expand
  9. Feb 24, 2014
    New world to explore, with new laws. Physics and possibilities. That's beyond bizarre or unique. What on earth? You should see that. My head is spinning.
  10. Nov 9, 2015
    Confusing and tricky, but more of a traditional puzzle game than you might think at first. Much of the fun of Antichamber comes from figuring out the strange logic that governs things, and using it to make sense out of situations that wouldn't make sense in any other game. It rewards exploration and experimenting more than it does logically deducing the answer on the spot, and fairly oftenConfusing and tricky, but more of a traditional puzzle game than you might think at first. Much of the fun of Antichamber comes from figuring out the strange logic that governs things, and using it to make sense out of situations that wouldn't make sense in any other game. It rewards exploration and experimenting more than it does logically deducing the answer on the spot, and fairly often the solution to something can come about by accident while you try everything you can imagine.

Having a mostly non-linear map that opens up more as you collect new abilities makes it much more fun to progress through than a straight, linear sequence of puzzles and for the most part there is enough direction that the temptation to look at a guide is rarely there. It's an unusual sort of puzzle game that plays smoothly and maintains a certain level of immersion instead of just leaving you wandering in circles in frustration. It can trick you and mess with you, and it is very satisfying to overcome its illusions and quirks.

On the negative side, your results may vary, but I did find it very hard on the eyes with all the glaring white backgrounds. You may want to turn down your brightness and play in a well-lit room.
  11. Feb 2, 2013
    I had no idea what to expect from this game. Bought it just out of boredom. But then I finished in one go. It is very original and fun puzzle game.
    I loved how the difficulty was balanced. Many puzzles just did not have any specific rules. You just have to stumble upon the solution. But... the game slowly taught you all the needed skill. And I did find myself stuck only a few times and only for a short time. The game does not lead you by your hand. But still gives you enough hints (usually in a form of a easier version of a puzzle) so you know what to do or at least try.
  12. Mar 17, 2013
    Antichamber is one of the most interesting games I've ever played. It's confusing, mind-blowing and just simply beautiful. Most people would think that one hour and a half will be enough to complete this game, but the Puzzle Solving in Antichamber gets more and more difficult, and some of the chambers are not as you remember. There is no story, you only have a sort of ray gun to store andAntichamber is one of the most interesting games I've ever played. It's confusing, mind-blowing and just simply beautiful. Most people would think that one hour and a half will be enough to complete this game, but the Puzzle Solving in Antichamber gets more and more difficult, and some of the chambers are not as you remember. There is no story, you only have a sort of ray gun to store and shoot little cubes, and you walk and jump. End of the story. Yet, in every chamber, there are sort of Motivational sentences or morals that help you or hint you the puzzle. The game is really entertaining. Unfortunately, there isn't a sense of accomplishment neither replayability. The game's graphics are beautiful, but sometimes clunky. This is no Portal (It tries to be more a thought-provoking game than an actual puzzle game). Either way it is fun, only that its short duration and unexplained concept is potentially disappointing. I will give it a 7. It's not the best puzzle game ever, though it will give an hour or so of bran-burning fun. Expand
  13. Feb 1, 2013
    After playing Antichamber for:- 1 minute."what the frick is this crock of twaddle!" 2 minutes."I'm feeling disorientated and dizzy. groan." 3 minutes. "Goddam it I'm stuck. How the hell....." 4 minutes "Ahh! thats it I got it,After playing Antichamber for:- 1 minute."what the frick is this crock of twaddle!" 2 minutes."I'm feeling disorientated and dizzy. groan." 3 minutes. "Goddam it I'm stuck. How the hell....." 4 minutes "Ahh! thats it I got it, but wait..what the hell is this... 1 hour. "HEY WORLD I've just been playing this most awesome puzzle game, its like this um..er ok you are in this room right and um its all freaky like you are in some wierd Escher drawing on acid and you gotta sorta navigate through um these corridor kinda things and and..OH MY GOOD LORD YOU GOTTA EXPERIENCE THIS Expand
  14. Aug 2, 2013
    Takiej gry logicznej jeszcze nie było. Twórcy świetnie grają na emocjach i umyśle graczy. Ciekawe, wciągające klimatem zagadki nie pozwalają odejść od komputera. Pomysł na grę naprawdę świetny, lecz nie do końca wykorzystany. Sama otwartość terenu nie jest tutaj dobrze wykorzystana. Pomysł był ciekawy ale wreszcie wyszło średnio.Do tego od połowy gry, ze świetnej, dziwnej gry logicznejTakiej gry logicznej jeszcze nie było. Twórcy świetnie grają na emocjach i umyśle graczy. Ciekawe, wciągające klimatem zagadki nie pozwalają odejść od komputera. Pomysł na grę naprawdę świetny, lecz nie do końca wykorzystany. Sama otwartość terenu nie jest tutaj dobrze wykorzystana. Pomysł był ciekawy ale wreszcie wyszło średnio.Do tego od połowy gry, ze świetnej, dziwnej gry logicznej robi się najzwyklejsza gra logiczna która nie może konkurować z np. Portalem(w przeciwności do pierwszej połowy gry). Jestem jednak pewien że jak najbardziej chciałbym zobaczyć i zagrać w następną, mam nadzieje że bardziej dopracowaną, grę logiczną od tych samych twórców. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2015
    Fiendish puzzles + fortune cookie philosophy = great

Portal 1&2 took 3 hours to beat (combined). Antichamber took 10. Guess which I think is a better value?

I do recommend a controller-adapting software (like XPadder) though. Keyboard isn't very well suited to an exploration/puzzle game.
  16. Jul 10, 2013
    [AntiChamber Steam PC Score 10] Superb a 3D first person puzzler. For the gamer great fun and addictive. For the programmer an inspiration in the creation of different. Computer gaming is again coming to life with refreshing ideas, so simple and straightforward, a force generating euthymia in its player, the development of patience and pride in solving each challenge. Go get it now[AntiChamber Steam PC Score 10] Superb a 3D first person puzzler. For the gamer great fun and addictive. For the programmer an inspiration in the creation of different. Computer gaming is again coming to life with refreshing ideas, so simple and straightforward, a force generating euthymia in its player, the development of patience and pride in solving each challenge. Go get it now and be prepared to be wowed.

Released on Jan 1st, 2013 and played about 5 months later by me [DRM] Steam only and thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title.

[Story]
    You discover solutions to puzzles. There is no cute girl with a nice chest with the protagonist in voice over saying “She has such pretty eyes” while everybody stares at her nipples. There are no battles in the Breastriary in Nippopolis. There is no Cheesing. Just puzzles. However the next version of this game could easily involve scantily clad aliens and power ups.

[Challenges and Mechanics]
    Learn each new skill. Don’t look with your eyes because they lie. Feel the force Luke. Trial and error is likely to make up for brief intense stupidity, and thank dog !
    [Save] The game saves itself like every game should.
    [Keys] cannot be remapped because the game takes place in 24000 BC when dinosaurs ruled the earth. You can stick it up your WSAD !

[Game time] 30 hrs and counting. Go back and finish the stuff you did not get even though you beat the game !

[Audio] I always play with headphones. I thought the audio was great. They could make it even more important in the game play next time. Thank you!

[ToYou]
    My compliments to all of you who pursue and share this obsession to experience this modern digital art. There are many games that will not be playable in 15-20 years because of OS and hardware changes. The time is now to experience these achievements. Think about going to museums and looking at those Van gogh paintings already 150 years old today. Think about watching reruns of old TV programs anytime you want. This will not be possible for most games and digital art dependent on game engines so consume and enjoy now and appreciate the moment.

[Children] Good for 12 years old and up.... be warned that the puzzles can be challenging.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz ASUS Z68 ProGen3 8G RAM Radeon 6870 W7 PRO SP1 Samsung 275T @1920x1200 Logitech G15 Kensington ExpertMouse

[MyFavorites] [Win7] AntiChamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964

[PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry I just enjoy games
  17. Jun 26, 2013
    An amazingly original game. This game is what I imagine would result if GladOS and M.C. Escher had a love child. The puzzle difficulty ranges from easy to nearly impossible to solve without spoilers, but you almost always have a variety of puzzles to choose from. Minimalistic, it doesn't try to forcibly inject a plot into the gameplay. I only have 3 issues:

1) the graphics I don't

1) the graphics I don't mind the minimalism. In fact it was probably the only sensible design. My brain was so busy trying to figure out the space-time defying puzzles that I think any texture interference would have just been a headache. My issue was with the quality of the execution. You can tell that the developers forced the Unreal Engine to do something it was not designed to do out of the box. It's pretty rough around the edges. It doesn't interfere with gameplay, but it reminds you that you're playing an indie title.

2) Instruction Once I figured out how to read the map, I was able to focus my attention on only the unsolved puzzles. In order to understand the map I had to consult the internet. I don't think it would have been unreasonable to put a bit more time into explaining this tool.

3) precision on several occasions I found it difficult to predict how my tools were going to behave. It's very hard to create chains of blocks in the direction you want without looking at a wall dead on.

All-in-all, a joy to play.
  18. Nov 7, 2015
    Somehow more an introspectory trip than a first person puzzle. Puzzles exploit the world rules, which are not the same rules you are used to in your world. Learn step by step, exploit everything, and get to the rewarding end. Definitely worth your time and your money.
  19. Sep 11, 2013
    Antichamber is to games is what elevator Muzak is to music. Seriously, playing the game is like being stuck in a book of collected motivational cliches. As far as I can tell, the whole game is made up of wandering aimlessly down one corridor after another while clicking on signs with stupid motivational messages. What's the point? The game is marketed and reviewed as a puzzler, butAntichamber is to games is what elevator Muzak is to music. Seriously, playing the game is like being stuck in a book of collected motivational cliches. As far as I can tell, the whole game is made up of wandering aimlessly down one corridor after another while clicking on signs with stupid motivational messages. What's the point? The game is marketed and reviewed as a puzzler, but it's really more of an "experience" like Dear Ester and its ilk.

On top of the mediocre to very poor gaming experience, the game options are as rudimentary as possible. It's not possible to adjust the keyboard mapping to something suitable for left-handers, it isn't possible to setup a gamepad, it isn't possible to set the resolution to match my 16:9 Windows Desktop, it isn't possible to adjust the sound levels, and the game is riddled with horrible, horrible aliased and jagged lines with no option to enable anti-aliasing. All these features should be trivial to include, since the game is built on the excellent Unreal engine, but the developer must've felt like creating an options menu or setup program was too much work.

This is definitely another indie game that benefited from rating inflation. It doesn't deserve the 8.2 that it received, so pass on it until it shows up for four dollars or less.
  20. Feb 2, 2013
    The developer sure knows how to break any gamer out of their molding to learn a few things about themselves. This fantastic puzzle game is easily a 10/10 in my book, despite its many graphical glitches here and there. A game should be rated on its mechanics, aesthetics, and game play, all of which compliment each other perfectly. Well done!
  21. May 20, 2013
    It you like abstract logical puzzles, this game will appeal to you. Myself, I found it rather boring and a bit pretentious. Maybe it's just way too abstract, compared, say, to Portal. It probably deserves all the good reviews too. It's just not for everyone.
  22. Feb 3, 2013
    This is by far one of the most um diverse puzzle games I've experienced, it is clearly among my favorites of portal and world of goo. This game displays such diverse conditions its never possible to predict what your in for next, half way through a puzzle you might think you have the hang of it only for the game to introduce an entirely different way of manipulating and navigating yourThis is by far one of the most um diverse puzzle games I've experienced, it is clearly among my favorites of portal and world of goo. This game displays such diverse conditions its never possible to predict what your in for next, half way through a puzzle you might think you have the hang of it only for the game to introduce an entirely different way of manipulating and navigating your environment. And with each new possibility comes more possible outcomes or are they? In a preview totalbiscut talked to the developer of this game, it was kinda funny how he viewed the players, the first part is to break every conceived notion of FPS games and then teach you a concept that would be easy to understand had you not previously broken and reformed your brain. Um so yea its tricky Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2013
    Having loved Portal and other puzzle games, I had expected Antichamber to be more similar. l It is a good game, yes, above average. However, for me, it contained too many parts of either fiddly jumping and messing around with the controls, or try and error due to no clue whatsoever on where to go, what to do, or how to actually solve some of the riddles. With some of the puzzles, I hadHaving loved Portal and other puzzle games, I had expected Antichamber to be more similar. l It is a good game, yes, above average. However, for me, it contained too many parts of either fiddly jumping and messing around with the controls, or try and error due to no clue whatsoever on where to go, what to do, or how to actually solve some of the riddles. With some of the puzzles, I had more problems finding out where or what it actually is than solving it. A bit disappointing. Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    Antichamber is a very good first person puzzle, more "crazy" and elaborate than many other puzzle games. It's a true experience, but its nature makes hard for someone to appreciate it properly. VIRTUALINN.IT
  25. Feb 19, 2013
    The puzzles in this game are mind blowing. The rules keep changing, the rooms keep changing, what does this game define as absolute? This game is like Portal but taking it up a few notches. I like to compare this to the Cube movies. Portal is to Cube 1, you understand what the concept of what's going on and the laws of reality are what we already know. Antichamber is like Cube 2:The puzzles in this game are mind blowing. The rules keep changing, the rooms keep changing, what does this game define as absolute? This game is like Portal but taking it up a few notches. I like to compare this to the Cube movies. Portal is to Cube 1, you understand what the concept of what's going on and the laws of reality are what we already know. Antichamber is like Cube 2: Hypercube, you have to relearn what you consider is "real". It's just amazing what the developer pulled off with this game. Unfortunately, the game has absolutely no story and there are some collectibles that do absolutely nothing as of right now. I feel like $20 is a bit steep for the regular price, it would have been better priced around $15 instead. Expand
  26. Jun 16, 2013
    Senseless, storyless, narrativeless, nonsense. I want my money back. The puzzles are pulled out of a lama's a$$ and follow no rules. Good for those who are deaf, blind, and want to play a video game.
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    Antichamber constantly plays with your mind as it forces you to question what you think you know about the rules and think out of the box about the problems at hand. And as such Antichamber is another gem those who look for new interesting experiences in gaming should not miss. The solutions to the puzzles are often incredibly primitive, it really is the matter of noticing them in theAntichamber constantly plays with your mind as it forces you to question what you think you know about the rules and think out of the box about the problems at hand. And as such Antichamber is another gem those who look for new interesting experiences in gaming should not miss. The solutions to the puzzles are often incredibly primitive, it really is the matter of noticing them in the first place. Only problem I had with the game is the fact that while some mechanisms are hardly/clearly shown at work before you are expected to utilise them (which can be frustrating, but is in line with the rest of the game I guess) there is one that wasn't shown at all afaik and I made my progress through it by accident. Then again, Even accidents can help you progress. Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2013
    Antichamber is a very good puzzle game, which uses the first-person perspective like a lot of shooter games. It is very ground-breaking in the sense that a lot of the game mechanics are completely new. So as far as originality is concerned, Antichamber scores big. Unfortunately, the actually game playing experience does not quite live up to the originality of the design. The puzzles allAntichamber is a very good puzzle game, which uses the first-person perspective like a lot of shooter games. It is very ground-breaking in the sense that a lot of the game mechanics are completely new. So as far as originality is concerned, Antichamber scores big. Unfortunately, the actually game playing experience does not quite live up to the originality of the design. The puzzles all involve progress from one room to another. There is no storyline to speak of other than "inspirational posters" that you encounter at each puzzle. For me the satisfaction of solving the puzzles would have been greater if there was an overall story. Also, it would have been better if some of the puzzles had been of a type where you do more than just figure out how to move from point A to point B. There are a few cases where it is hard to tell if you have really solved the puzzle. If there had been a kind of running score, or a little "happy music" when you solved a puzzle, this would have enhanced the game experience. There is no tutorial at all as to the rules and mechanics of the game, you figure this all out during the game. In some cases this makes the game more fun, since figuring out the game mechanics is part of the puzzle. In other cases, it is just plain frustrating, since there is a lot of trial and error to figure out how the game works. One big problem is the color coding system. There are parts of the game that you will encounter early on that are impossible to solve before you progress in other areas. You can waste a lot of time and become very frustrated before you figure this out. I still think this is a very good game and well worth your money. I would recommend starting with a strategy guide that explains the basics of the game mechanics and the color coding system, and how to use the map in the starting area. Don't spend too much time in any one puzzle, use the esc key to go back to the starting area and choose a new puzzle (color appropriate) before spending too much time on any one puzzle. Expand
  29. Jun 11, 2014
    This game doesn't rely on excellent graphics or innovative story, but instead brings 8 hours of pure fun. You get the best experience, when you jump into the game with no expectations on what the game has to offer. In return, you get rewarded with clever puzzles with satisfying solutions, constant mind-benders and -twisters, and generally an adventure you will never quite forget. TheThis game doesn't rely on excellent graphics or innovative story, but instead brings 8 hours of pure fun. You get the best experience, when you jump into the game with no expectations on what the game has to offer. In return, you get rewarded with clever puzzles with satisfying solutions, constant mind-benders and -twisters, and generally an adventure you will never quite forget. The puzzles are one of the most satisfying in the world, and finding all the secrets can sure be a thing to brag about. I enjoyed every second of it. Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2015
    Antichamber is what happens when puzzle game designers strip away all tradition, get drunk, and decide to see how cruelly they can mess with gamers' heads. Then, when they sober up the next day, there's a hint of remorse as they patch over it with a few words of inspiration on the walls.

To be fair, their minimalistic game design it expertly crafted, to bring highly innovative challenges which really make you think. Much is based on perception and pre-conceptions. You may wander down a hallway, stop and turn around, only to find that the way you came has totally changed. You may also look a little closer through a viewing window, step back, and find yourself transported into a different room. This is all completely seamless, which messes with your head that much more.

This game teaches you that trying something new will be rewarding. It almost always knows which way you'll tackle a challenge first, then give you one of many reassuring messages alluding to the task, or life in general. It gives you motivation to try and try again, in different ways.

And you will want to, because finally overcoming a challenge that left you stuck for ages, makes you feel like the smartest man alive! I will admit that I sometimes asked for help from a gamer friend smarter than I, but I implore you to hold out on walkthroughs for as long as possible. It would ruin the rush of completing the harder puzzles.

The lack of story and strange ending might remove you from being enveloped in the experience, but that's not what it's all about. It's about overcoming bizarre and difficult puzzles not like any other game out there.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    If you’re looking for the most extreme, bizarre, intelligent and wacky puzzle game, look no further. [April 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    Apr 5, 2013
    I just finished Antichamber. I feel satisfaction I haven’t experienced after completing any game in many years and for the first time in ages I learned something about myself while playing. It’s hard for me to expect anything more from a game. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.82]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Antichamber is an intriguing little experiment. It is both a humble imitation and an attempt to avoid all the trappings and clichés of the genre. Alas, it fails to excite. Unlike Echochrome and Braid, where we bending realities to our will, in this game its creators simply tease us whenever they feel like it.