7.6

1. Nov 24, 2013
    Honestly, this game is an unoptimized cop out on ubisofts part. Runs absolutely terribly on pc, and the fact that atl east half the missions are recycled "stealth" get to point a to point b without getting detected. Literally, tailing simulator 2012. The "NAVAL STEALTH" was the last straw, if you are gonna get this game, i suggest pirating it.
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    Game on PC is unplayable, tearing everywhere, even if i can play most games with high detail, this game is barely playable with low settings. While AC3 was a bad porting but was at least playable, this one is really not worth the money. I really don't think PC gamer deserve a poorly optimized game like this.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    I hate it. Its very poorly optimized. Its as buggy as it can get. Then the genre should have been action adventure because there is no stealth in this. Ubisoft has not done justice to a game which had a lot of potential.
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    It takes time to understand how bad this game is, but at around 15 hours of played i can safely say the game wants me to hate it. The checklist of bad things is almost full here, from quick time events to time missions without any possibility of a single mistake that force you to merely memorize the entire path if you want to finish them.

All your wonderful skills as an assassin are

All your wonderful skills as an assassin are useless, because you were 28 meters away from your target therefore you must restart the mission.

Chase missions both on foot and on the ship are just downright terrible and so badly implemented that you will rip your hair off from the rage they induce.

DO NOT buy this game at full price, the best i can say is that this is worth 20 euros when it includes all DLC 6 months down the line.
  5. Nov 21, 2013
    I love this game, but the Pc version has a lot of Framerate issue and Ubisoft said they will not patch it for economic reasons, what a software house. PLEASE DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY ON IT, UBISOFT MUST CRY FOR THIS
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is basically an AC3 somewhat expanded. They changed the settings to pirate and added some visual effects, but thats all. Ubisoft milking the same cow.
    Any reviewer who writes it is a great game, and "it has some minor technical issues (FPS) that will need patching", are lying or part of the hype-troll factory. There aren't minor glitches, there are huge ones... Doesn't matter what the Ubisoft copy/paste promo revs say.

THE FACTS: the controls are the same as in prequels, made for the console, you have 8 buttons to do everything. If the view changes you're not running forward but sideward with the same button, making impossible some difficult moves and finishing 100% (if you care about it). If a reviewer never mentions bad controls, it means they never played the game. Read carefully.

There are no savegames, but checkpoints. So if you scrw it up because of the bad controls, you can start all over again. Is it really that difficult to make a good port to the pc? I don't think so. But Ubi cares about money not about fans or gamers. On the long run this will prove an epic fail.

I give 1 for the score because exactly that much they improved the game from AC3 (some flashy effects and a bigger map). If you are not payed by Ubi, you would never score this game above 3 or 4 (on the PC).
  7. Nov 19, 2013
    The Assassin Creed Franchise has had its up and downs, but ACV is absolutely an up. This game is extremely fun and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the previous games. The ship combat has improved and the graphics are beautiful. This game is probably my favorite in the franchise so far.
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    Best part of the game is the theme/setting, which is done very well. Everything else seems pretty stale. Probably would be worth a 6 or 7 if I were on a console, but this is a PC review, and it runs like ass on PC. Poorly optimized would be a compliment in this case, and Ubisoft even came out and said they didn't give a crap. I was sort of amused by the DLC, where you can pay money toBest part of the game is the theme/setting, which is done very well. Everything else seems pretty stale. Probably would be worth a 6 or 7 if I were on a console, but this is a PC review, and it runs like ass on PC. Poorly optimized would be a compliment in this case, and Ubisoft even came out and said they didn't give a crap. I was sort of amused by the DLC, where you can pay money to reveal the locations of activities and other things. At least it wasn't day 1 DLC to get the rest of the game! Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    AC: Black Flag was announced like a big break through for the series. Unfortunately it fails this in so many ways.
    The single player content is carried out very badly. The multiplayer is totally the same, lacks the sight of the smallest innovations. It was satisfying two games ago... now it feels like Call of Duty...
    The game mechanism are so dumb down, even a monkey could play the

The game mechanism are so dumb down, even a monkey could play the game. A lot of good features from the predecessor games are missing. Specially from the combat... this game was build around it, but still this is the most unpretending part of the game... Everything that was good in AC3's naval combat, devs just trashed all of it.

- There aren't any diffirences between ships... a 3500 tonne man of war will be as fast as Edward's small ship. The legendary ships are some kind of freaking jokes... they accelerate at 80 m/s and they are equipped with jet engines. WTF?
    - Canon reload time is so low... it takes (even for the man of war's 100 canons) only 3 seconds... just spam full boardside volleys, that is the only thing you will do in combat. Frigates and man of war ships have some future tech gatling canons... they can fire up to 5 volleys in quick succession (under ~10 seconds)
    - You can no longer change canon rounds like in AC3.
    - Ship sails no longer takes dmg, chain-shots lost there whole function... oh wait they've got a new one, now they STUN ships like in damn WoW...
    -This game is so arcade... you have the option to repair your ship AND loose all you notority after you board a ship.

Melee combat sucks also... Thee E is your ultimate key used for anything... counter, dodge, parry. HP potions removed entirely.
    Edward regain heatlh automatically.. The fast-travel option added to the game, it has some nice side effects too, it can be used anytime, even in combat. Also recharges your full ammo supply (smokebombs, darts too) Eagle vision now tags enemies like the annoying wallhack in Far Cry 3. Assassinte missions are so arcade, you can run straight to your target, don't worry about being detected, because it's no longer cause desync. (mission fail, not even in story mission)

The world looks big on the map, but its feels empty even towns and also lacks detail. Side activities are so few and even those are so boring, just a tons of ridiculously easy assassination contracts.

This game won't provide any fun for whose played the older games. Black Flag is a huge disapointment. Made for 10 yrs old console-kids. This game probably don't deserve a medicore score.
  10. Nov 21, 2013
    Only reviews of 10 (payed/promo) and 0 (user).
    It has the same problems as the earlier ACs, nothing changed, a bad port to pc. Make a bad game, spend tons of money on advertising, fake reviewers and there you are. I was so hoping after the 2nd part, that they will fix issues, but Ubisoft is only out for money. It's a shame.
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    Yet another poor console port. The controls bad, as in the previous titles, no savegame, as I wrote, console...
    Don't believe the hype and the promo reviews and don't buy it for the pc.
  12. Nov 21, 2013
    Just another Assassin's Creed game. Good on you Ubisoft for "callofdutizing" the series. Do not expect something totally different, you know just jumping around, killing things etc. etc.
  13. Nov 19, 2013
    People are funny (or is that just PC gamers?). Yes, yes, yes it has some minor technical issues (FPS) that will need patching, but these are expected for a game with this much scale. I felt that depressing feeling during the opening cutscene and tutorial island when the game wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. Once I boarded my ship and headed to Havana, things improved and confidencePeople are funny (or is that just PC gamers?). Yes, yes, yes it has some minor technical issues (FPS) that will need patching, but these are expected for a game with this much scale. I felt that depressing feeling during the opening cutscene and tutorial island when the game wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. Once I boarded my ship and headed to Havana, things improved and confidence regained (unlike my hairline). AC:BF is very good. The map is HUGE, the graphics (some frame rate drops) are excellent, the sound passionate, the naval element well implemented, animations are fabulous, cutscenes and voice acting some of the best i've seen and the game is simply fun. Greatly improved from AC3 and with so much to do and collect, it's gonna take a while to see all of it. This is my new favourite AC game. Enjoy. Expand
  14. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is absolutely abysmal. Here we go again with the optional objectives to get 100% sync (I don't think the developer understands what optional means. Optional should be bonus gold or supplies, not sync and at that, they shouldn't be absurd, like touch your toes while being eaten by a shark.

The movement is horrible, if you want to run in a straight line, tough, you are going to bounce off every wall in site.

They recycled models, combat, minigames, objectives, etc. I think the only new thing is boats, which loses is okay, but doesn't make up for the huge disappointment in atrocity that is the rest of the game.

The game does look good though, but that doesn't mean it feels good.
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    A lovingly created masterpiece. Each element seems handmade, the gameplay mixture of assassins creed, Sid Mier's Pirates! a dash of Zelda wind walker, and a pinch of Farcry 3. It is HUGE in scope, a fully realised open world. The companion App on iPad works like a dream. As of now this is my personal game of the year.. It is a true video game classic a must buy and the best thing toA lovingly created masterpiece. Each element seems handmade, the gameplay mixture of assassins creed, Sid Mier's Pirates! a dash of Zelda wind walker, and a pinch of Farcry 3. It is HUGE in scope, a fully realised open world. The companion App on iPad works like a dream. As of now this is my personal game of the year.. It is a true video game classic a must buy and the best thing to happen to the franchise since Assassin's Creed 2. Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    really good that there are in the game so the naval battles, because otherwise contained in AC3 and sameness more so this time worsened. the killer already starts strong and does not even need training to matar.fora the pessima optimization that in certain parts falls to 17 fps.ubisoft shot himself in the foot with this game, that really turning this fighter nickel
  17. Nov 19, 2013
    They up everything, they have trashed the story of the game, the amasing story build in assasins 1 and up at revelations and got worse at assasins 3 now its over IT THATS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHATS HAPPENS WHEN A ENTERPRIZE WINS TONS OF MONEY WITH A SERIES AND THEN TURNS IT TO A NEW THING JUST BECAUSE IS MORE LUCRATIVE
  18. Jun 29, 2014
    I feel kind of weird liking this game when I absolutely loathed AC3, but I'll try and explain why this iteration kept my attention the whole way through.
    STORY/DESIGN: (5/10) - On the one hand, the story is boring, and there's no real climax/payoff at the end, it's just a-bunch-of-stuff-that-happens that seems to rely on player time investment to make us connect emotionally rather than an interesting plot. On the other hand, the main character is somewhat unique in that his major motivation is making money and he aggressively wants to avoid joining either of the warring factions. But the most important part of the story is that, unlike AC3, it is mostly unobtrusive.
    GRAPHICS: (9/10) - this is a gorgeous looking game in almost every respect. There's a good variety of environments, from period cities of varying elevations (to facilitate the freerunning) to deep jungle to tropical islands.
    GAMEPLAY: (7/10) - this is kind of hit-and-miss, depending on what the game asks of you. Each of the 4 gameplay types represents about a quarter of the experience:
    Ship-to-ship combat is good (7/10), kind of like space combat games if you couldn't move up or down, but what makes it interesting is a very developed, shifting 3D ocean that is constantly buffetting your ship and changing the angles. I also like how quickly you go from sailing to aiming a side cannon at individual enemie on a ship, then swing over on a rope and go straight into hand-to-hand combat. One nice touch is that you can sneak-swim onto an enemy ship that's otherwise overpowered for your ship, kill all the soldiers in hand-to-hand, then return to your ship and conquer the now weakened and crippled ship in one shot. What I dislike about ship-to-ship combat is that, other than size and flag color, basically all ships you fight are identical in look and structure. I feel like they could have designed more than one enemy for you. Additionally, it would have been nice to go below decks for combat, instead of just up the masts once in awhile.
    Freerunning (3/10) hasn't really changed from AC3, but the environments are quite a bit better and smoother, particularly in jumping from tree-to-tree. It's very intuitive, but it's still hold-down-a-button and point the analog stick, whereas any true platformer would require individual presses of the jump button. There's also a swimming mechanic for underwater side missions, which is cool, but slow and eventually gets boring.
    Combat (5/10) has a few new enemy types that often require a different button press (i.e. "stun") to defeat certain enemies, plus the ability to throw enemies (off ledges or into other enemies) instead of insta-kill adds another layer. And sometimes you have to press a button to grab a human shield just before you're shot. But it's still way too easy to be fun most of the time.
    Stealth (5/10) is still functional but not improved. It's still based primarily on moving between bits of grass and insta-killing anything that gets near. Your only other options are a berserker dart (makes an enemy attack his friends), hire dancers to distract guards, and a smoke bomb escape; that's fairly paltry compared to any other stealth game.
    DESIGN: (9/10)
    The game starts with you experiencing the major gameplay types (ship-to-ship combat, freerunning, stealth, then combat) all the in the first mission with only a few seconds of cutscenes intruding on that. There are FAR fewer enforced-slow-walk-for-plot-exposition parts than in AC3, though there are still some. Similarly, you spend very little time in the "future" world outside the animus, another great choice, although even this half-hour total was still the worst part of the game. I never even got to the sailing portion of AC3 because I couldn't tolerate the pathetic "platforming" and the fact that they buried the good stuff so late in the game, but AC4 understands that it is a game and puts its best feet forward. There are a bunch of side missions, and you never have to do any of them more than once if you dislike one. And if you just like open-ended missions where you get to a guarded target and assassinate him, there are like 30 of those as "assassin" side missions. So it's a long game (21 hours) but it held my interest long enough for me to beat it. If they could just make you actually press the "jump" button when they wanted you to jump and made the melee combat more challenging/interesting, this game could have been a 9/10 easily.
  19. Mar 10, 2014
    I remember when Assassin's Creed was about story, sneaking, and planning. That time is long passed, and Black Flag is a prime showcase of that. The only reason this game could possibly get good reviews is because of blind fanboys upvoting the game simply because it's a pirate game.This is an action-oriented pirate simulation that has absolutely nothing to do with the Assassin's CreedI remember when Assassin's Creed was about story, sneaking, and planning. That time is long passed, and Black Flag is a prime showcase of that. The only reason this game could possibly get good reviews is because of blind fanboys upvoting the game simply because it's a pirate game.This is an action-oriented pirate simulation that has absolutely nothing to do with the Assassin's Creed franchise. The graphics are good but just about everything else isn't. Sound is terribly synced, especially when performing kills. The controls are slightly improved but still terrible. The optimization is beyond bad. The insane amount of context-sensitive controls and movements are incredibly frustrating, and have been throughout the whole series but Blag Flag just proves that Ubisoft has no intention whatsoever of fixing it. The story is laughable and will not interest you in the slightest and the modern day sequences are worse than ever. The gameplay is super repetitive with linear levels lining the campaign and a repetitive grind awaiting you at sea. This is the last straw for the AC series in my opinion. One of my favorite franchise has been ruined yet again by a a yearly development cycle and a greedy publisher. I'm not longer going to purchase this garbage and I highly suggest all of you do the same. Expand
  20. Dec 24, 2013
    The Assassin's Creed series has had a hard time during the last few years, the first few games with Ezio and Altaïr were a huge success and a really fun, enjoyable experience. But during the last few years the experience has become less enjoyable due to a poor story and bugs and glitches. But this is a great kickstart to a brand new series of amazing and enjoyable new Assassin's CreedThe Assassin's Creed series has had a hard time during the last few years, the first few games with Ezio and Altaïr were a huge success and a really fun, enjoyable experience. But during the last few years the experience has become less enjoyable due to a poor story and bugs and glitches. But this is a great kickstart to a brand new series of amazing and enjoyable new Assassin's Creed games. I recommend Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag to anyone who is a fan of the Assassin's Creed series or pirates. This is also a great game for those who wish to get into the Assassin's Creed series because this is truly a new standard Ubisoft has set for their games. Expand
  21. Dec 22, 2013
    Oh my gosh... assassin´s creed is getting more boring again. First ones were pretty good and AC 3 was the best, but these "pirate thingies" are not so good. Oh yeah... the game also gets easier and more boring, but still... they did a good job.
  22. Dec 29, 2013
    I have had this AC for a few days now, and I am already totally immersed.The game is a HUGE improvement over the last game (which shall not be named) Black Flag takes the naval combat from AC3 and makes it more or less the main aspect. The controls for maneuvering your ship are responsive for the most part, sometimes trying to use your fire barrels may be a hassle. There is so muchI have had this AC for a few days now, and I am already totally immersed.The game is a HUGE improvement over the last game (which shall not be named) Black Flag takes the naval combat from AC3 and makes it more or less the main aspect. The controls for maneuvering your ship are responsive for the most part, sometimes trying to use your fire barrels may be a hassle. There is so much content on the map.Finding buried treasure and collecting songs for your crew are some things to do. Hunting from AC3 has been kept in the game,you can use the animals for crafting or sell them.But hunting gets really repetitive after a while. The new addition of harpooning sea creatures helps add variety but this too gets repetitive.The story is not the worst nor the best, and that keeps my review from getting a 10. Expand
  23. Jan 5, 2014
    Honestly i'm not an assassin's creed fan at all, but this game has really taken my attention..
    I enjoyed the entire story line and the awesome graphic; I have appreciate a lot the crew's songs too (it could sounds stupid, but yep, i enjoyed them sailing the sea).. Maybe to easy
  24. Feb 12, 2015
    This game is horribly unoptimized & barely playable. Ubisoft won't fix it because, "90% of PC gamers are pirates." If you have a PC that's as strong as a tank you can probably play this game. If not, you're SOL. It's barely playable IF you're lucky. FPS problems, constant crashes, freezes, I even had the game run at 0FPS. Yes, 0 FPS. It's a disgrace that Ubisoft has fallen so low that theyThis game is horribly unoptimized & barely playable. Ubisoft won't fix it because, "90% of PC gamers are pirates." If you have a PC that's as strong as a tank you can probably play this game. If not, you're SOL. It's barely playable IF you're lucky. FPS problems, constant crashes, freezes, I even had the game run at 0FPS. Yes, 0 FPS. It's a disgrace that Ubisoft has fallen so low that they would let themselves become so blinded by greed that they just flat out don't give a crap anymore.

The controls are clunky, combat is streamlined to mash X constantly while hitting B every so often to block. You will not be able to run anywhere without climbing up a wall you didn't want to climb. Story is long, drawn out & boring. The tutorial alone is about 3-4 hours & it drags.

The best part of the game is the ship battles, but the game is so terribly optimized that you will have freezes or crashes if there are too many ships on screen. I was in one battle where it was me VS 10 other ships & the game started running at 0 FPS. I thought it crashed, but nope. One frame just froze in place while the game kept running. I was impressed by this as I've never had a game run at 0 FPS ever before.

While this game is called "Assassin's Creed" you will not need to stealth anywhere in the game other than for 'optional' syncs. The stealth mechanics are so drull & simple. It's like they went backwards entirely or they think everyone who plays their Creed games now are idiots (Which they must be if they keep buying this crap). You can be face first inside a guard's anus & they still won't notice you. It's pathetic.

0/10. Don't buy this unoptimized half-assed port. Go play AC2 instead.
  25. Dec 29, 2013
    Game runs terribly on pc steer well away from this mess absolute rip off not even a moderatly high end pc can run this game at payable speeds its an absolute disgrace that they are selling the game in its current state dont buy
  26. Feb 15, 2014
    In short this game is about pirates (I know, you already knew that)...that is the game that Ubisoft made, and they want to send a message: they want to outsmart YOU. Over at Ubisoft, The CEO thinks he's a pirate, along with the investors and their crew of henchmen, the board of directors, YAAAR! Every year they bring in their pirate booty from the poor fools who pay them for pre-orders.In short this game is about pirates (I know, you already knew that)...that is the game that Ubisoft made, and they want to send a message: they want to outsmart YOU. Over at Ubisoft, The CEO thinks he's a pirate, along with the investors and their crew of henchmen, the board of directors, YAAAR! Every year they bring in their pirate booty from the poor fools who pay them for pre-orders. All they have to do is force the poor crew (the programmers, the artists, the musicians, the historians, and all other people who actually do the work, but is never appreciated for it) to retouch a template from the previous year, then put it out as a new product...YAAAR! Me so Clever Boi. They plunder millions of poor fools and kids every year; AND apparently they've been to every bay in the seven seas, OR so it seems... BUT YET, They have NOT.... they missed one very important bay. One that makes them cringe, and their skinny feet tremble with fear. The one that makes them yell for their momma. The one that makes Electronic Arts seem like little babies crying for a penny. The one that makes the RIAA and the MPAA cower in fear. The one that makes them wonder why their share price tumbled last week. The one, the only.....THE PIRATE BAY...Thanks THE PIRATE BAY, you are a life saver, YAAAR!! Expand
  27. Jan 5, 2014
    It's hard to rate this game, although it's the best game of the franchise in my opinion. First of all, the setting is great (nice open world and places just look beautiful) and I really like the way the story is told. The storyline itself is different compared with the other Assassin's Creed games and this makes this game so special (the story which is placed in the background (in theIt's hard to rate this game, although it's the best game of the franchise in my opinion. First of all, the setting is great (nice open world and places just look beautiful) and I really like the way the story is told. The storyline itself is different compared with the other Assassin's Creed games and this makes this game so special (the story which is placed in the background (in the "reality") follows on the events of the third part, but it's as bad as before and occupies only a small part in the whole game) The gameplay is solid and sometimes it seems to be too easy. And now for the problems: The graphics are great but I just don't get it why Ubisoft isn't able to develop a game, since Assassin's Creed 3, which runs smooth on good hardware GTX 680, Intel Xeon E3 1230v3 (30 FPS and worse on max settings)). I'm able to run Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 on max settings without any issues, but this is a joke. Another joke is the recycling of older games. Almost the whole movement of Edward Kenway is copied from Connor in Assassin's Creed 3. I can believe that they don't have much ideas left, but this is ridiculous. Next thing: Optional objectives. I really like the idea of optional objectives, but sometimes I don't know if the developers even tested them (and don't tell me I'm just a bad gamer).
    At large it's a really good game, but it definitely doesn't deserve 10/10, because it's nothing new, they just changed the setting.
  28. Jul 18, 2014
    The best gameplay is the series, and it captures the atmosphere of its setting brilliantly, but ultimately feels a little bit strange like ACIII before it. Perhaps the locales were too "new" to support one of the big draws of the Ezio series: uncovering mysterious tombs and retrieving artefacts.

The story is okay if not really good, but I'd prefer a story that's a bit humdrum but doesn't make me wince with its many po-faced howlers (looking at you, AC:Revelations and ACIII). AC:Brotherhood took some knocks for its silly villains, but I'll take that camp theatrical scene-chewing over a story that thinks too much of itself any day. AC:R's writer does a much better job this time, supplying a story that carries you along well enough, with many nice little touches in the dialogue and some touches of daft WTF-ery. There's not enough there to make you really invested, and you'll see certain twists a mile away, but as games go it's decent.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    Booring! We saw all that stuff in AC3. In my opinion Ubisoft consider PC gamers as a bunch of silly children, again and again. The graphics just a bit better, than in AC3, but with poor tech support of PC, the lags and freezes appears even on the recently upgraded machines. But what is advice by Ubisoft? "HA-HA. Try again and buy the high-end system!". I'm tired of this ****
    But what do
    But what do you find at the game? Silly screenplay, as usual, 1-dimensional characters, as usual, a lot of extremely stupid mini-games, as usual. But the most annoying things are the missions, i suppose it's the worst game design in the series. After a couple hours it seems that you play replays type 1: shadowing and chase, type 2: annoying naval battles (the fun leaves after 3-4 battle), type 3: the robbery that appears to massacre.

I hoped AC4 to be at least open-world game, but it fails, of course just a dead cities (like an exact copy past from AC3), with number of treasures and other "pirate" stuff...

Music and sound are usual, quite ok, sounds like a lot of money wasted to something similar to "historical" or "original"...Actors are ok, but the dialogues, no doubt, was writen by the children and for the children...

Controls in PC version are still headache since AC1, the alter-ego tries to irritate you at least 1 time per 2 minutes, especially when you're doing "cool parkour stuff"...

It's the same situation again on PC, the series still have failed since AC2, which was a real step forward, so what can i say "use your assassin's abilities" and don't waste your time and money as "a fake pirate" in AC3,5.
  30. Dec 22, 2013
    A good open world pirate game that could have been better, hampered by the same tired, frustrating "mission structure" we see in every AC game. The constant need to do exactly as Ubisoft demands hinders the fun in exploring this visually gorgeous game world, and the frustrating mission types, such as Eavesdropping and Tailing, are far, far too frequent, and over-used. The weather system isA good open world pirate game that could have been better, hampered by the same tired, frustrating "mission structure" we see in every AC game. The constant need to do exactly as Ubisoft demands hinders the fun in exploring this visually gorgeous game world, and the frustrating mission types, such as Eavesdropping and Tailing, are far, far too frequent, and over-used. The weather system is also frustrating, as the developers tend to overuse storms on the open sea in order to make missions feel more "dramatic."

Black Flag is a game that would have been far, far better, had it not needed the Assassin's Creed name attached at all. This is Assassin's Creed ruining what could otherwise have been a great pirate game.
  31. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  32. Dec 2, 2013
    Being a fan of AC2 and brotherhood I'd been rather let down with anything that followed and even with the over-hyped AC3 I got seriously burnt. I then waited...cautiously...for the Black Flag reviews and in general it all seemed to point out that they'd corrected their flaws and gone back a little to their roots. Is it true you ask?

Well yes for some bits and sadly...no for the most

Well yes for some bits and sadly...no for the most part. AC2 had you really involved and it made sure that you had to do a little more than just "point and shoot" so to speak. Black Flag comes along and introduces us to some more intensive ship control and ship battles that really do feel pretty good to take part in initially. Soon though you do feel that this "pirate-battle-ship-thing" is a bit flat and it starts to get quite boring pretty quickly so it's sad that it has such a huge focus in the game because it really stops being fun after the first two hours or so.

Platforming it's just gone I'm sad to say. Every bit of navigation required now is only made more difficult by figuring out which bit of the map it is that you have to navigate around everything in-between that is just pointing and holding down the shift key to get there (and then sometimes you just can't "disconnect" because you've become a sticky monkey to anything that is not at ground level). It's fun right in the beginning but then you soon start to realise that there is actually no challenge to doing any of it.

Combat: Pretty much nothing new here boring and as easy as ever (in fact it felt even easier this time around). Sure, you'll have to dodge a few grenades, counter (feels very much like Batmans counter-moves) and break defenses by using a key press...rather un-rewarding in the end especially when you know that a monkey could pull off the same moves.

Once again I'm left rather disappointed (and I haven't even touched on the "future" bits that feel about as fun to play as just watching a clip of someone else play the game...hell even that would have been more fun!) and after having played through the somewhat long and fairly boring story I just didn't feel anything special about this game (I actually had to force myself to keep playing through it and all the time I kept thinking "maybe I should just re-install and play through AC2 or AC:Brotherhood again instead). With promises of an upgrade system similar to Far Cry 3 (sure, it's mostly true but pretty much damn boring and not very much required) and the usual "hunt" for collectables being slapped in there I eventually stopped because the game just become sooo long in the tooth.

Ah well I guess I should have realised this after revelations that the game has just been effectively dumbed down to a more simplistic experience that what we were introduced to before in the previous titles...maybe I'm just getting old or maybe I'm just trying to expect too much when consoles dominate so heavily. My conclusion: if you loved AC2/Brotherhood and despised AC3/Revelations then give this one a skip. In the end this one looks pretty and plays fairly nicely with my PC hardware yet in the end it just feels overly simplified and too heavily story-focused without really giving too much of a damn about game-play.
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    Runs like absolute ass. Yet another console port, from ubisoft. Tons of boring sailing. Unnecessary bolted-on additions to the story. Pretty much par for course now from ubisoft.
  34. Dec 24, 2013
    Basic of making next game in the series is improving on previous games. But Ubi managed to get it backward. Even if resulting game is still somewhat decent, it's still step backward in almost all areas.

Even flag feature of this game sea combat, got wrose than in AC3. Even if combat system got expanded, it's irrelevant since sea fights are so easy now, and storms no longer cause waves big enough to matter(which was best part of sea combat in AC3, in my opinion). Yes, combat is enjoyable, but less so than it was in previous game. Also, "travel speed" at sea despite being "Animus-side speed to make travel fast" still maes most travels between points few minutes of boring screen staring.

You remember hunting or crafting from AC3? Well, now hunting got reduced to "hunt 2 of each kind of animals, craft one thing per animal, forget about it". Harpooning is new minigame, I'm not so sure if it's good minigame, so in that case it might be good that you only need to do it few times per animal.

Hideout present since AC2 is here too, it's big, but upgrading it is pretty much irrelevant, only serving as money sink. What's more, none of vanity collectibles actually affect any part of the world. You can upgrade your ship, sure, but it's like buying upgrades to yourself. Whole economy system present since AC2 is gone.
    Brotherhood gave us "your people", and here fleet takes this role, but it's bloody SimCity all again, play with "friends" or anything will take ages to do. Because Ubi couln't find good reason for their piracy-detergent of online requirement, they just turned part of game into "social" game.

When you think difficulty hit rock bottom, here comes out another AC game to prove you wrong and define new bottom. In some cases, enemies will even ignore you murdering one of them right in front of them. Killing enemies with gun rarely makes anyone react at all. Only good change in that department is whistling now you have to whistle for a while before guard decides to og investigate, making picking them off one by one less reliable.

Older games used to have optional missions that were one big jumping puzzle. If you strain youself, you might find one or at most two of those in this game. Historical places? Not in this setting. Beuitifull cities? Not in this setting. Huge buildings to climb? Not in this setting. Collectibles? Well, some are hidden. Most of them are at sea and main challenge is to not say "screw it" and not spend hours sailing from point to point to jump ship, swim to island, pick it up from ground, get back to sihp and repeat.

Characters? Hmph. Your out-of-Animus character is nobody, he does not speak, has no motivation, could not find any mirror so not sure if he even has actual body. He's just getting used by everyone around him, like a tool. As for in-Animus... Ezio started as a rash youth, and grew. Connor started as kid, and grew a lot. Edward starts as badass without clear motivation or character, and remains as such pretty much whole game.

Story there is no story. There is some pirating "do what we want" story, small Assassin substory, but overall, it's just "do random things and maybe you stumble across something relevant to this or that plot".

It's PC version, ported from console, so optimization is terrible, and graphic settings are lacking. There is no gamma correction, so everything is so freaking bright that you just can't see some things during the day. But, at least they enabled mouse control so you can actually select tings on map with mouse, instead of moving map around to center relevant icon and select it.

Overall, it's not bad game, if it was not part of AC series but standalone pirate game, it could be decent 8 or even 9, depending how "assassiny" elements of game would be substituted. But as part of series, it's worst Creed ever released. So far.
  35. Nov 24, 2013
    Good game hindered by the Poorest PC optimization ive seen in a few years. Top of the line rigs hitting 45 to maybe 60 if your lucky? Nah don't think so. The game is fun and story is good considering this is outside the trilogy
  36. Nov 23, 2013
    Auto saves don't work, unless you want to replay the beginning over and over and over again don't buy. Broken game, should never have been released as is.
  37. Dec 27, 2013
    I bought this game because it was rated highly and I liked the premises of the other Assassin Creed games. This was a mistake. As soon as I started the game, I noticed the graphics were not really that great, although the framerate was also not spectacular. The voice acting was okay, but the talking animations were lacking. When I try to run, the sticky auto-climbing mode makes it nearlyI bought this game because it was rated highly and I liked the premises of the other Assassin Creed games. This was a mistake. As soon as I started the game, I noticed the graphics were not really that great, although the framerate was also not spectacular. The voice acting was okay, but the talking animations were lacking. When I try to run, the sticky auto-climbing mode makes it nearly impossible to stay on the ground. The fighting mechanics also feel slow, virtual, and only require one button pressed rapidly for the most part. It's like if Mirror's Edge's manual freerunning was replaced by a system that does the acrobatics for you; there's no skill involved, and I don't feel like I've done anything significant. Expand
  38. Nov 28, 2013
    Your satisfaction with AC4 will be depending on what you want from the game. In terms of a successor to games like Brotherhood it may seem a little bit subpar since it isn't on that level story-wise. However the protagonist is an enjoyable character and I like the change regarding the Assassin's order-based main characters. Instead of one more installment of basically the same game itYour satisfaction with AC4 will be depending on what you want from the game. In terms of a successor to games like Brotherhood it may seem a little bit subpar since it isn't on that level story-wise. However the protagonist is an enjoyable character and I like the change regarding the Assassin's order-based main characters. Instead of one more installment of basically the same game it takes quite a different approach while still providing links to previous versions.

The mix between the classic rooftop hopping from the early days and the nature parkour we know from AC3 gives the game a nice variety. You'll always have something fun to do and in my experience the most enjoyable thing in AC4 is leaving the main story behind every now and then and just go explore, hunt and sail the open seas. It is extremely nice to pull up next to a huge british ship and blasting it to smithereens. And while I really miss some mechanics from earlier games (like calling assassins to your aid), if you look at it as a pirate game it is completely awesome.
  39. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing new to see here, move along. If you've played any of the other asscreeds, you've played this one too. They really should stop milking this dead cow. Graphics actually seem worse than before.
  40. Nov 30, 2013
    As a veteran of the AC series I am so glad that the mis-step of AC3 has not been repeated. The setting is lush and beautiful to play in and I'm enjoying the gameplay which is in part familiar but with a beefed up emphasis on sailing which I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy but have done. No problems with it running flawlessly for me on an AMD card in hi res for everything looksAs a veteran of the AC series I am so glad that the mis-step of AC3 has not been repeated. The setting is lush and beautiful to play in and I'm enjoying the gameplay which is in part familiar but with a beefed up emphasis on sailing which I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy but have done. No problems with it running flawlessly for me on an AMD card in hi res for everything looks stunning. Halfway through and enjoying it as much as AC2, the best in the series so far. Expand
  41. May 6, 2014
    Pretty pirate-simulator with some fun naval combat. Let down though by the usual repetitive quests, stupid sword-play combat, and lack of a particularly interesting narrative journey or characters. An improvement for sure on the last AC. The best aspect of the game is traversing the picturesque waters in changing weather conditions on a boat full of pirates singing a song. Not much tensionPretty pirate-simulator with some fun naval combat. Let down though by the usual repetitive quests, stupid sword-play combat, and lack of a particularly interesting narrative journey or characters. An improvement for sure on the last AC. The best aspect of the game is traversing the picturesque waters in changing weather conditions on a boat full of pirates singing a song. Not much tension or drama, plenty of grind. Expand
  42. Jan 13, 2014
    It was an awesome start but a very underwhelming build up at the end, After two patches the game finally looked as good as the next gen games on my PC with the GTX 660 ti but it has frame rate issues in the jungle but outside in the sails it runs okay. I liked Edward more then any of the past assassins creed character but Ubisoft should of just made a stand alone pirate game with the mainIt was an awesome start but a very underwhelming build up at the end, After two patches the game finally looked as good as the next gen games on my PC with the GTX 660 ti but it has frame rate issues in the jungle but outside in the sails it runs okay. I liked Edward more then any of the past assassins creed character but Ubisoft should of just made a stand alone pirate game with the main character then making it as an Assassins creed game. I personally had fun in this game but if you dont care about the story too much, its a blast but I do hate getting out of the Animus part. I just hope they just make a good Pirate game and just forget about the Assassins Creed series altogether. Expand
  43. Dec 30, 2013
    An exceptional addition to the AC franchise. Visually stunning with smooth, familiar game mechanics and a decent enough story, Black Flag provides an open world that allows you to do what you want, when you want. Follow the storyline, or don't there's plenty to do and see. Those who miss the big city and big climbing aspects of AC and AC II, etc. may still be left wanting, but AC IVAn exceptional addition to the AC franchise. Visually stunning with smooth, familiar game mechanics and a decent enough story, Black Flag provides an open world that allows you to do what you want, when you want. Follow the storyline, or don't there's plenty to do and see. Those who miss the big city and big climbing aspects of AC and AC II, etc. may still be left wanting, but AC IV brings a different dynamic to the table and does it well. The singular disappointment (for me) is the deep sea dives. What should have been a chance to explore shipwrecks in a gorgeously rendered environment ends up a clunky and confusing race from scores of sharks and eels which give you no time to enjoy the hard work that went into these moments. Expand
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    While I don't like some aspects of this game, it's one of most fun games I ever played.

Graphics are great, the towns look very nice, the landscape of both missions and islands is amazing, the sea looks nice enough and the waves behave very smoothly. The character movement is very good, definitely an improvement, you can connect most of the movement you want to make, rarely you will

The character movement is very good, definitely an improvement, you can connect most of the movement you want to make, rarely you will start to jump and grab places you didn't meant too.
    The missions are mostly well made and fun, and while some might say they are too easy, I think they are just fine because I like to go through the story, I hate bottlenecks of repetitive tries due to chance or difficulty, for the sake of being hard. Sea combat is fun. Boarding ships is fun if you roleplay them, don't go immediately to the goals and you will be immersed into nice visuals and combat.

But this game has a lot of downsizes. Very easy naval combat, too easy, specially when attacking naval fortress's, the repercussions of pirating are basically none. Land combat is also extremely easy, its all about knowing what type of enemies you are facing and hit the according button, but, its fun, very fun, still way too easy. The map size is extremely small (caribbean islands packed into a 20km per 20km give or take) and the view ranges of enemy ships is ridiculous low, we are talking about having an enemy ship 50 meters away from you and they can't see you!! This game design choice obliterates the immersion of being at sea, the feeling of being alone, of spotting enemies on the horizon, storms are well made but they come and go in a minute, rogue waves and water tornados are just too easy to avoid. Due to the map being so filled with islands and ships, immersion is completely crushed.

All in all, its a fun game to play, but once you play it the replay value is null, this means that for a open world game something went wrong when they designed it, kinda remembers me of Sleeping Dogs, making an open world that serves no purpose since only the missions have any value.
  45. Dec 30, 2013
    Play as kenway in this 8-bit action adventure. highly acclaimed game which will thrill you for hours. also there are pirates and who doesn't like pirates. This game is great and i recomend it to you if you read this
  46. Jan 14, 2014
    well for me i found this game just pure awesome, but i still had a few problems like
    1. a bug at the ending
    2. the story wasnt as good as the old creeds, like enzio well he is the charecter in the francise, but for me edward
    the naval gameplay was epic and basically the backbone of the game, fighting machanics were set right and the sound track was awesome
    in conclusion must buy
  47. Nov 24, 2013
    I love the AC series and I would love to play the game. But hard lock ups keeps keeping me away. This game is no where near out of alpha stage, in the short minutes I've gotten to play the game has been a pain, it suffers from some really hard screen tearing even with VSYNC or adaptive VSYNC on. 0/10 unplayable.
  48. Dec 2, 2013
    To be honest, I have never played an assassin's creed game before, so if you are a die-hard AC guy, you may disregard my review as I cannot compare it to others in the franchise. I really enjoy first person shooters and I never cared for 3rd person games. However, I have to say that this game really blew me away. The graphics are absolutely top notch and I really enjoy the story. InTo be honest, I have never played an assassin's creed game before, so if you are a die-hard AC guy, you may disregard my review as I cannot compare it to others in the franchise. I really enjoy first person shooters and I never cared for 3rd person games. However, I have to say that this game really blew me away. The graphics are absolutely top notch and I really enjoy the story. In fact, they have put such a great effort into even the most minute details that I am shocked. For example, I speak Spanish as I have lived in Spain and the people in Havana speak with the Spanish dialect as you would expect within the historical context. The sea battles are brilliant and the game is just damn fun to play. I haven't finished it yet, but wow am I enjoying it. It has been a huge surprise and I highly recommend it to everyone, even FPS players. It does contain some similar elements to Far Cry 3, but it is a much better game. I can't tell you the last time, I just enjoyed a game for the scenery; which I often do when sailing in AC4. Expand
  49. Dec 22, 2013
    I could be writing this review while being amazed by the game or while being super mad. First off, the gameplay AC 4 has a very similar gameplay like AC 3. Some things have been changed (like ship combat), but don't expect something new when it comes to ground combat, in which you are left with three options attack, counter other attacks or break enemies' defences. Sometimes it's reallyI could be writing this review while being amazed by the game or while being super mad. First off, the gameplay AC 4 has a very similar gameplay like AC 3. Some things have been changed (like ship combat), but don't expect something new when it comes to ground combat, in which you are left with three options attack, counter other attacks or break enemies' defences. Sometimes it's really not that fun when you have to kill 20 men while boarding an enemy ship, forcing you to start spamming your left mouse button to deliver as many hits as possible. Next thing that this game needs to improve is performance. With a pretty good computer like mine, you can hardly run the game on the best graphics setting with no lags. And when it starts to rain on the sea while you are against three enemy ships lots of smoke effects and all these pieces of wood flying everywhere, god, that is frustrating. Now, to the main point of this game storyline and missions. Story is pretty good at some point, but only like a quarter of it has something to do with Assassins. This game is not a true "Assassin" game. Also, I hate that missions in AC4 are so repetitive. In every second mission you have to tail someone, and that thing annoyed me quite a lot while playing this game. So, AC4 has quite a lot of bad things that Ubisoft should improve in the next sequel (if they ever make one), but it is still a pretty good game with some nice features. But i don't recommend buying it until the prize comes down a bit. Expand
  50. Jan 9, 2014
    ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, Ubisoft has done NOTHING to fix the server problems, you get disconnected literally EVERY MATCH! The characters are just copy and pasted, and uninspiring.... Ubisoft has done nothing to help us PC gamers and could care less about us! DO NOT BUY!!!!
  51. Dec 13, 2013
    This is my Multiplayer review.

This is my Multiplayer review.

The development of the multiplayer with AC has been right in par with its single player, steadily decreasing. I first multiplayer had some issues, and as they resolved them over time they just created new ones. The scores are basically arbitrary, they make sense in theory until some gets 1200 points for poisoning someone in the first 2 seconds of the game, or getting 600 points for someones you literally runs right into them. Essentially AC multiplayer is Brink, a fantastic idea that never really landed
  52. Nov 26, 2013
    Well I'm a long time fan of AC, but have been rather critical of some of the historical settings, which we have been presented.
    Where AC would have gotten a 7 this setting and all the new features has blown me out of the water.

Best pirate game ever love sailing (instead of that irritating horse and discovering loads of secrets.
    Absolutely great graphics and wonderful ideas.
  53. Dec 5, 2013
    What a load of garbage. I swear these games are getting dumber and dumber with each sequel. Boring story, repetitive missions, Edward & co have no personality and you have a large open world with nothing in it. They added underwater sections that are completely ruined by constant shark attacks so you can't really enjoy them. Chests have no purpose anymore since they give so little moneyWhat a load of garbage. I swear these games are getting dumber and dumber with each sequel. Boring story, repetitive missions, Edward & co have no personality and you have a large open world with nothing in it. They added underwater sections that are completely ruined by constant shark attacks so you can't really enjoy them. Chests have no purpose anymore since they give so little money compared to pirating that I have to wonder why are they in the game. No secret crumbling Mayan ruins requiring some nice platforming or something, no puzzles requiring you to think (at least a little), nope nothing at all. Compared to AC Brotherhood which was the best in the series this is crap. Oh and did I mention it is poorly optimized and you will experience FPS drops constantly even on good machine that is above recommended and no it is not fine nor expected what is expected is a finished and polished game with no bugs that require 4-5 patches or more before it works as its supposed to. And I thought it couldn't get any worse after AC3, YOU ARE NOT EVEN AN ASSASSIN ANYMORE IN THESES GAMES *sigh*. Expand
  54. Nov 20, 2013
    Great game! One of the best of the year. I didn't care for past couple of AC games, but with the open world sailing and pirating, it feels like a different game. I love just sailing around, the world is beatifully rendered on PC (AMD 7970).
  55. Nov 21, 2013
    Among all the AC series that had been released, this sequel by far is the best one ever. No doubt Ubisoft seems to have done a very good job in fulfilling customer's request for features in game that was first unveiled in AC3 but was not polished well which was naval warfare. Honestly, when AC3 came out, the naval warfare was one key feature that really attracts me the most but I was a bitAmong all the AC series that had been released, this sequel by far is the best one ever. No doubt Ubisoft seems to have done a very good job in fulfilling customer's request for features in game that was first unveiled in AC3 but was not polished well which was naval warfare. Honestly, when AC3 came out, the naval warfare was one key feature that really attracts me the most but I was a bit disappointed because it only appears as side missions and players don't have much choice to sail to other places and uses it as a mean of transports for exploring. However, AC4 really revamped that whole concept and brought my wish to real. For me, the open sea free-for-exploration with a ship is the best selling point for AC4. Never in my entire life have I seen a game that managed to handle naval warfare very well. It is too awesome. The ability to sail across the sea, stop by islands and explore them seamlessly without any boundaries, engage in epic naval battle and board the ships are the best key features for me. Playing the game somehow kind of reminds me a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean especially during the naval battle. Plus the new engine in the game which allows for spontaneous storms and huge waves to occur really added to the realism and epicness of the game. Seriously I wouldn't mind if the next AC5 continues on the sea exploration concept. In fact, I really hope they would retain naval exploration in the next installment. For anyone that has not played any Assassin's Creed series before, I think this installment is the best way to start with. It's like GTA but in a pirate settings in the caribbeans. Expand
  56. Nov 21, 2013
    I have played them all and this is my favorite one by far! it is bigger in every way (map, history, complexity)
    I would give it a 9 but due to all the scrubs giving low score for no reason...
  57. Nov 28, 2013
    This game is bit rushed. When Assassin's Creed gets pushed out. My thoughts are "Oh awesome new story, historical views, new characters yay!". Waiting for a good game. Assassin's creed: black Flag is not bad game by any standard. It's just not ground breaking and awesome like the old ones. The story line is different and will play out to be nice, but side quests...Really? I liked toThis game is bit rushed. When Assassin's Creed gets pushed out. My thoughts are "Oh awesome new story, historical views, new characters yay!". Waiting for a good game. Assassin's creed: black Flag is not bad game by any standard. It's just not ground breaking and awesome like the old ones. The story line is different and will play out to be nice, but side quests...Really? I liked to collect optional stuff from each zone, yet it netted me nothing (I don't really like that i only get 1% when i complete a zone). Outside story mode this game has nothing to offer in terms of gamplay. Pirating is fun for a while, but since you blunder basically same resources (Women, new ships, slaves, art, gold yarrr???) all over...You are not feeling like a pirate.

Quick fire round to pro´s and con´s.

Pro´s:
    - Setting is not limited to cities only like older releases
    - Pirate setting is done nicely, you are spending time on a vessel
    - Crafting got useful again and ship customization looks awesome
    - Sneaking, fighting got updated amongst other things.

Cons:
    - The "Real life" story is left out for good part of the game
    - You don't really have a clue about the grand schemes, so you are not pursuing a goal.
    - Little to no graphical improvements (Well they don't even need to those, but added them anyway. Game looks awesome!)
    - Characters are uninteresting
    - Optional stuff is optional...And useless. Why collect 15 fragments that will not grant you anything expect 0,5 progress sync story.
    - I´m pretty sure i have seen some character models in AC 1 3 as major storyline...
    - You need to wait a long time until story kicks in. Don't get bored until then.
  58. Nov 25, 2013
    I have been a long-time fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Black Flag does not disappoint. What I look for in a game is how long I can play it until it gets old. I'm over 20 hours in, haven't beaten it, and am still having a blast. The only downside is tailing and eavesdropping missions, and even those include the new style of stealth Ubisoft has incorporated into the game. I love theI have been a long-time fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Black Flag does not disappoint. What I look for in a game is how long I can play it until it gets old. I'm over 20 hours in, haven't beaten it, and am still having a blast. The only downside is tailing and eavesdropping missions, and even those include the new style of stealth Ubisoft has incorporated into the game. I love the stealth system in Dishonored and Farcry 3, and Assassin's Creed IV comes close to the same level of quality. Now for the rest of the game. You will find yourself swinging from ropes and boarding ships with explosions around you, dual swords in hand, slicing up British to your heart's content. The combat has been made noticeably smoother and the same with the naval combat. There is so very little wrong with this game; it amazes me how critics take those small errors and take 20 points off of a game's score. Expand
  59. Nov 26, 2013
    Better story than the rest of the series better graphics and gameplay overall improvement and graphics are realy realy good played 27 hours not finishes story yet but one of best games played this year surprising with the amount of good games this year
  60. Nov 28, 2013
    Same mistakes were made again like AC3. Soulness and Nonsense game story is boring. Ubisoft must understand that, last two games is not AC game. Maybe expansion pack of rookie assasins but, i didnt see any assasins whole two games. they need to get rid of being "callofdutiism". they didnt mess up any game like this, even PoP series.
  61. Nov 30, 2013
    Don't listen to the haters AC IV has nice visuals great game-play (naval battles are very good) great story and a incredible ending. AC IV is a must if you are a gamer.
  62. Dec 31, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is the best part of ALL, 10 out of 10 even with "poor" pfs (i5, GTX690 average: 45fps) I'm sure that after 1st patch game will be optimized in 100%. THE BEST ADVENTURE, PIRATE GAME EVER
  63. Nov 30, 2013
    When i played this game the first 15 minutes my morale almost hit rock bottom as the game gave me the idea it is simply 'just another assassins creed', but after playing 30 minutes i noticed that was far away from the truth.
    Yes, in general this is 'another' Assassins Creed but the pirating stuff in this game is so massive that you sometimes have the feeling the game doesn't feel like a 'true' Assassins Creed game at all. This game is for 80% all about pirating which makes you simply forget all the Assassins stuff. Even the Abstergo intermezzo's are minimal and that says enough...
    The way Ubi set up the massive sea, the beautifull Carribean islands and scenery, the great sea battles, the huge amount of upgades to both Edward and his ship is just very well done, no doubt about it.
    This whole pirating adds loads of new stuff to the game and when looking back at the history of Assassins Creed, that is just what this game needs. Altough i don't like the fact they are overusing some old stuff from previous versions, this whole new pirating system makes me simply forget all of it.
    Another big plus is that this game is well balanced. As i said before, you need upgrades but the amount of resources it takes (money, wood, metal, etc) forces you to battle, hunt, kill, explore, fight and enter ships alot, causing loads of gameplay. I have been playing this game for loads of hours this past 1,5 week. My ship is still not fully upgraded and i'm still at 50% progression.
    I remember i threw away my AC3: Revelations CD as the game was simply rubbish but Black Flag is simply awsome. I love it and Ubi, well done.
  64. Nov 24, 2013
    Great pirate game with stupid Assasins/Templar non-sense. I really dislike the storyline of the Assasins Creed series with it's convoluted non-sensical mystic mumbo-jumbo In this you can mostly ignore those and just sail around pirating you can have tons of fun for hours very early. The rest of the game outside the naval battles is pretty eh. At least the protagonist is aware of howGreat pirate game with stupid Assasins/Templar non-sense. I really dislike the storyline of the Assasins Creed series with it's convoluted non-sensical mystic mumbo-jumbo In this you can mostly ignore those and just sail around pirating you can have tons of fun for hours very early. The rest of the game outside the naval battles is pretty eh. At least the protagonist is aware of how stupid the stuff he sees is and comments on it .

Ubisoft should just completely drop the Assasins stuff and make game full Naval/Pirate game Cause thats awesome and i fully recommend to buy the game it at a lower price just for that.

Optimization isn't optimal but it runs very well on my PC on basically maxed details with some glitches here and there. Didn't run into anything major yet.
  65. Dec 4, 2013
    Ubisoft took all wrongs from AC3 and made them right.
    AC4 has a much more immersive and intriguing world. The naval combat and exploration are very enjoyable, mission aren't as repetitive and give you MUCH more freedom.
    Edward is also a very interesting character. You see him mature and become a better person. Character development is very good. Overall this game is fun and you will
    Ubisoft took all wrongs from AC3 and made them right.
    Overall this game is fun and you will find yourself spending much more time in it than you probably expected.
  66. Dec 4, 2013
    Best Assassins Creed game yet, its a new idea carried out perfectly for the Assassins Creed title. The exploration is endless and starts almost immediately after you start the game. I highly recommend you buy this game if you love Assassins Creed and limitless exploration and activities.
  67. Dec 5, 2013
    I have nothing to say cause Ubisoft once again made an awesome game. This game just made me remain speechless. I still wonder how many people gave negative rating. It is a must have game and recommended for all the assassin gamers
  68. Dec 30, 2013
    this year, with the release of the next AC game, ubisoft changed the way of its franchise. Assssin's Creed IV Black Flag was one of the best action adventures of this year and in every part, the game was perfect. The graphic had a lot of improvements and it was a way better than the previous title. The beauty of this world is amazing and it takes you to the world and you really feel thethis year, with the release of the next AC game, ubisoft changed the way of its franchise. Assssin's Creed IV Black Flag was one of the best action adventures of this year and in every part, the game was perfect. The graphic had a lot of improvements and it was a way better than the previous title. The beauty of this world is amazing and it takes you to the world and you really feel the world. The seas and every place in this game is beauty. The gameplay has a lot of improvements and it is more expanded and you really enjoy playing the game. New weapons, having a crew and a ship and plundering other ships, upgrading the ship and face stronger enemies, exploring and finding new places and are the beauties of this massive world. The world in Assassin's Creed IV is the biggest in the franchise and there are a lot of other side activities to do in the game. The story is a little far from the origin of the game but it is cool too, being a pirate in the high seas and have adventures in a lot of places...
    at all, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is one of the best games in the franchise and one of the best games of 2013.
  69. Dec 29, 2013
    It is totally missing the epicness of AC2 and AC1, there are no cathedrales or dungeons, instead you can swim in piss with make you feel like a real A$$ pirate and blonde. You would think the world is huge, but there is so much rehashing of content, it is nowhere as big as AC1 and pointless to explore. The characters are rather bland and the killing of Desmond in AC3 made story about theIt is totally missing the epicness of AC2 and AC1, there are no cathedrales or dungeons, instead you can swim in piss with make you feel like a real A$$ pirate and blonde. You would think the world is huge, but there is so much rehashing of content, it is nowhere as big as AC1 and pointless to explore. The characters are rather bland and the killing of Desmond in AC3 made story about the ancestors lose its connection. Whats positive is the sandbox that the developers created. Also they got rid of QTEs, its not as as AC3, but still lacking big storywise. When AC2 was a 10, then I am giving this a 6. Expand
  70. Dec 16, 2013
    This game loses a SINGLE point from me for its lack of PC optimization. As much as I enjoyed the Black Flag experience, I cannot ignore that. Ubisoft definitely needs to shift some focus towards making their games more enjoyable across a broader range of machines.
    Looking beyond the obvious optimization flaws for PC, everything else was phenomenal!
    AC4 carries over all the things that

AC4 carries over all the things that made the past titles a success, but it was the story of this installment that absolutely blew me away!
    However, I can't help but realize that if I did not have a prior knowledge of the Golden Age of Piracy, that I would not have been able to understand, or enjoy, the story as much as I did. For instance, several scenes seem to expect you to know what will happen next to someone considering the tone, even though the game never touches on it itself. I would have never known what happened to Stede Bonnet if it was not for my history class, and it added a lot of impact and drama to an otherwise uneventful moment.
    If you were already familiar with popular figures from the Golden Age of Piracy, like Teach, Rackham, Bonnet, Vane, Black Bart, and Anne Bonny, your going to be blown away by this re-imagining of their stories.

Despite the enormous amount of entertainment I got out of this game, I definitely want to critique a few key points for the sake of future improvement; The Island that you consider home and can invest resources in to improve, Inagua, is just as useless and unrewarding as the Homestead feature from AC3. They need to do more with these places of interest; Spending 90% of the game on the high seas, it was extremely disappointing that the ship Haythem took at the beginning of AC3 was still more detailed than the Jackdaw. You cannot enter the inside of the ship, and the only recognizable and unique person in your crew is Adéwale from the upcoming DLC himself. It would have added much more depth to be able to have familiar faces on the ship to feel more connected to and protective of; And also, Kenway's Fleet. This trade/revenue system was similiar to the old ones, but tedious and boring compared to the trade system and assassins guild from AC3.
    Those were the 3 things I had really wanted more from in Black Flag; A more rewarding and innovative homestead feature; A better detailed crew and ship to sail with; And a less tedious Kenway's Fleet feature.

ALSO: Multiplayer is still amazing to play in this installment. AC Multiplayer is an incredible and unique experience that too many AC players overlook.
  71. Dec 23, 2013
    The last few Assassin's Creed games hasn't been so satisfying, but THIS one goes straight to the top on the list of awesome games! I really enjoyed this game and find myself still playing after completing the main quest, because i want to keep plundering, fighting and improve my ship. The main story line was extremely good. The entire game itself was incredible, everything in the game justThe last few Assassin's Creed games hasn't been so satisfying, but THIS one goes straight to the top on the list of awesome games! I really enjoyed this game and find myself still playing after completing the main quest, because i want to keep plundering, fighting and improve my ship. The main story line was extremely good. The entire game itself was incredible, everything in the game just makes sense, and is so well done. Expand
  72. Dec 28, 2013
    If you enjoyed Sid meiers Pirates as well as the AC series, then this game is a piece of heaven for you.

When I was younger I played Sid meiers pirates and this has all the features of that wonderful title that I spend days off from work to play. Ship upgradeability, a fleet, simple trade, in addition to more management features from previous AC games but this time for ships in your fleet. Its pretty cool I wish there was tutorial however for these menus. I have been finding features by accident.

As they did with Farcry3, ubisoft has created an enormous, atmospheric expanse to sandbox around in while taking bites off the main linear storyline. The ships are wonderfully portrayed, the emerald seas are rolling and unforgiving at times and the ship to ship battles, including boarding and harpooning are well done and intense. I spend most of my time at sea in this game. Knowing the ground based AC game is still always there is really a lot of game for your dollar.

I give this game a 9 out of 10 it deserves it. Its addictive and fun.
  73. Jan 13, 2014
    Probably one of if not the best game I played last year. Graphics are phenomenal, really do the Carribean justice, fun combat system, plot is entertaining, cool historical perspective.
  74. Nov 25, 2013
    I took the time to write a review, because I don't want people to get misled by the hype and run out and blow all their money on this game. There is no way this game is a 10. The premise of the game is interesting and the game is ambitions. I enjoy the graphics. However, the controls are absolutely terrible. Its even worse than I remember from brotherhood. Its very difficult to do anythingI took the time to write a review, because I don't want people to get misled by the hype and run out and blow all their money on this game. There is no way this game is a 10. The premise of the game is interesting and the game is ambitions. I enjoy the graphics. However, the controls are absolutely terrible. Its even worse than I remember from brotherhood. Its very difficult to do anything without the game thinking your trying to do something else. I have found the game to be extremely frustrating due to the poor control design. Unfortunately, since the story is not that great the only thing that could save this game is the game play, but you need intuitive controls for that. If this had been the first attempt of a company at a game maybe I could be a bit more forgiving. However, this is another game in a long series of games and apparently the company could not be bothered to fix problems that have existed in their prior games. Bottom line is that it was a game with potential, but poor game design has really taken the fun out of it. Expand
  75. Nov 29, 2013
    I have played all of the games in this franchise, but this game is by far my favorite. AC3 was a little bit of a let down, but this game is fantastic. Ship combat is extremely fun and the graphics are stunning. I have had absolutely no issues with this game whether it is fps or screen tearing, and people that do should probably update their rigs. 10/10 because i found myself playing forI have played all of the games in this franchise, but this game is by far my favorite. AC3 was a little bit of a let down, but this game is fantastic. Ship combat is extremely fun and the graphics are stunning. I have had absolutely no issues with this game whether it is fps or screen tearing, and people that do should probably update their rigs. 10/10 because i found myself playing for five hours straight without a single minute of boredom. Anyone who has been a fan of the previous games, this is a must have. Expand
  76. Nov 30, 2013
    I've been playing the game basically non-stop since I bought it and I love it. I haven't come across any game breaking bugs yet and the game run smooth for me on highest settings (i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 680 4GB RAM). This is how you're supposed to play a pirate game Huge open-world to explore, fight, trade and come up with other mischief. Tough I admit the trade part is pure basic, butI've been playing the game basically non-stop since I bought it and I love it. I haven't come across any game breaking bugs yet and the game run smooth for me on highest settings (i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 680 4GB RAM). This is how you're supposed to play a pirate game Huge open-world to explore, fight, trade and come up with other mischief. Tough I admit the trade part is pure basic, but that's fine! it's a pirate game after all and no trading game ;).

The only reason I'm not given 10/10 is because of the multiplayer mode. It's just some generic arena crap PvP/Co-Op. I was hoping for the same open-world style, where you can play with friends in a co-op fleet (or even PvP, for those that care about this I DON'T). As it is the 10 minutes I spent in multiplayer will be it. I'll just player it Single-Player, which is fine with me.
  77. Mar 19, 2014
    I was actually optimistic that Assassin's creed tried to shake up their tired old formula for a new game. This is not the case. I'm not sure which is more repetitive and irritating, the main quest line or everything else. It's a Ubisoft game, so 99% of the gameplay is just unlocking towers and collecting random items to unlock clothes. The other 1% is just maddeningly repetitive andI was actually optimistic that Assassin's creed tried to shake up their tired old formula for a new game. This is not the case. I'm not sure which is more repetitive and irritating, the main quest line or everything else. It's a Ubisoft game, so 99% of the gameplay is just unlocking towers and collecting random items to unlock clothes. The other 1% is just maddeningly repetitive and frustrating. For a game that seems confident that you can play to your style, I've never had to restart, reload and repeat so many missions because one tiny little detail sent the entire situation out of control, and almost 99% of that was because of the game's ridiculously irritating control system which is equally likely to send you in the wrong direction as the right one.

Not intuitive, not engaging, not very impressive.
  78. Mar 12, 2014
    It is hard to like the game after you lose all your save progress. UPlay killed my save game. After looking online, this problem is very widespread and they have all sorts of suggestions on how to prevent future saved game loses. If they know this is a problem, then they either need to fix it or implement their own suggestions so that people stop losing all of their progress.
  79. Nov 21, 2013
    The best AC game yet. So much better than AC3's campaign. Large beautiful world to explore, variety in the gameplay with land sea and underwater and a seamless transition between these modes, lots to do and find. Missions are less linear gameplay wise and stealth is improved. Multiplayer game lab is an excellent addition.
  80. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, and way better then ACIII. The more I play it the more fun I am having. I am slowly traversing the story because there are so many side things to do. Out on the seas sailing your ship its incredible! This game is Huge! Will keep you all sorts of busy. If you haven't bought it yet, I suggest you do! Maybe wait for a Steam Fall Sale (thanksgiving time?) or SteamThis game is a lot of fun, and way better then ACIII. The more I play it the more fun I am having. I am slowly traversing the story because there are so many side things to do. Out on the seas sailing your ship its incredible! This game is Huge! Will keep you all sorts of busy. If you haven't bought it yet, I suggest you do! Maybe wait for a Steam Fall Sale (thanksgiving time?) or Steam Holiday Sale (typically X-mas time)!!! Expand
  81. Dec 1, 2013
    Another garbage Ubisoft port. Nothing to see here. Awful optimization for PC......................................................................................
  82. Nov 22, 2013
    Runs beautifully. With my GTX770 I'm getting easily over 60 FPS consistently. The world is beautiful traveling by see. The sea battle are great, and the story is the best I've seen yet out of an Assassin's Creed game. That said, it stills Assassin's Creed plus sea battles, you know what your getting here. The upgrades are awesome, with a FarCry 3 style system. I've put about twelve hoursRuns beautifully. With my GTX770 I'm getting easily over 60 FPS consistently. The world is beautiful traveling by see. The sea battle are great, and the story is the best I've seen yet out of an Assassin's Creed game. That said, it stills Assassin's Creed plus sea battles, you know what your getting here. The upgrades are awesome, with a FarCry 3 style system. I've put about twelve hours into the game and are no where near bored with it. I recommend it if you have a good gaming system to run it. I played it on PS3, but framerate was awful. I'm glad I got it on PC. Expand
  83. Nov 24, 2013
    Open world, sea battle, stealth move and in-game puzzles are things I like. Upgrading system is somewhat dry and not so "open world" thing.

I spent whole weekend and now getting slightly bored. It is a great game but definitely not as great as Skyrim.
  84. Nov 26, 2013
    Ahh a new AC game, remember when ubisoft stated they are putting a lot of effort in Assassin Creed 3? As Ubisoft claimed, the scheduler used for the rendering was ‘rewritten from the ground up and in AC4, the engine will use all the cores it needs until it sees that using more cores brings no more gain. Well it appears that ubisoft lied once more. My I5 2500k so call recommended processorAhh a new AC game, remember when ubisoft stated they are putting a lot of effort in Assassin Creed 3? As Ubisoft claimed, the scheduler used for the rendering was ‘rewritten from the ground up and in AC4, the engine will use all the cores it needs until it sees that using more cores brings no more gain. Well it appears that ubisoft lied once more. My I5 2500k so call recommended processor peg at 100% on 1 core and 5-15% on the rest, 2013 game running single core how awesome is that.After all optimizing game on the pc are not ubisoft priority anyway as stated them self. Good thing is naval combat is nothing short of amazing and revolutionary, a major improvement on AC3 which i do like if it isn't crippled by performance issue. Theme and setting are done very well, lush vegetation in stunning detail. They said the game would perform well even on low end machine, an overclocked 560Ti is apparently getting 40 fps on lowest setting and 800x600 resolution with vysyn turn off. Ashame really this could have been the best AC game yet after AC2 if it is actually enjoyable. Expand
  85. Nov 19, 2013
    The games looks beautiful immersive atmosphere and good story but There is one big issue .
    Running on i5 3570k 4,8 2 zotac 670 amp Edition Sli (RUNNING 55-60 FPS not all time They need to fix sli scaling right know
  86. Nov 29, 2013
    As much as PC gamers are neglected in the gaming world, this game is just as good if not better than the others...for PC. If you love the assassins creed series this is a must buy, if you own more than 1 im sure you have them all and know this already. Its really a shame corps don't adhere to PC gamers more than consoles, I guess more people buy consoles since the younger generation are toAs much as PC gamers are neglected in the gaming world, this game is just as good if not better than the others...for PC. If you love the assassins creed series this is a must buy, if you own more than 1 im sure you have them all and know this already. Its really a shame corps don't adhere to PC gamers more than consoles, I guess more people buy consoles since the younger generation are to amateur for PC skill but that shouldn't stop devs from making good pc games. heheh ya I said it, consoles are for amateurs. Any true PC gamer knows what I mean Anyways excellent game for PC, not a garbage port like so many others. Expand
  87. Dec 5, 2013
    My favourite game in 2013. Wonderful graphics, long playtime with a huge open world to explore. Beside the main quest lots of gameplay variations with mini games, hunting and much more.
  88. Dec 20, 2013
    I love game!
    Assassin's Creed IV is NINJA Real Awesome!
    i play Boat Pirates nice! bigger map nice have fun!
    ------------------------------------------
  89. Nov 30, 2013
    Although I wasn't a major fan of AC3, Black Flag is absolutely fantastic! They have focused entirely on gameplay to make it fun and exciting. NO downtime, quick action, mission to mission to sidequest in no time at all. It's the very best bits of all the past AC games made better, and rolled into one. Absolutely one of the best game's i've ever played. Well polished and awesome fun!
  90. Dec 24, 2013
    I had played 2 of the Assassin's Creed games before this and found them...wanting. From annoying control issues to lack of variety, they seemed to fall short of the ambition.

This game, however, is brilliant. Brilliant as in a brilliant work it has faults many of the same that plagued the earlier games; Running to chase someone? Let me start climbing a wall you don't want to. Trying a stealth mission? Allow me to make your character do stuff you don't want him to just so you are discovered. The side plot outside the "dream" is hackneyed and uninspiring.

But.

The main game is the "pirate" game I have been waiting for since excitedly unpacking my ZX81 33 years ago. Sure, the sailing isn't realistic but neither are the land based parts. There are "mini games" that would have constituted a full game 8 years ago from the ship fleet management to the whale/shark hunting.

Naval combat is a joy to play and the missions, varied.

Some missions are too difficult I find the stealth/following simply too hard, but the game has so much else going for it that it doesn't annoy me in the same way as, say, GTA IV did.

So, despite its flaws, I feel it would be churlish to give this game anything less than 10/10.

I bought BF4 shortly before this. The game I keep coming back to is this and I *love* the BF series.

I am enjoying the plot and the acting is, in the main, of a high standard.

I alt tabbed out of the game to write this review so I'm off back now. It does this perfectly too and so far (touch wood) hasn't crashed once.
  91. Jan 23, 2014
    Zero for the utterly inane optimization and incompetence from Ubisoft.

What kind of idiots would put dynamic physics for EVERY SINGLE foliage on screen and not even put an option to disable said physics without removing everything. Unbelievable.
  92. Jan 5, 2014
    Game is broken. Will not save majority of progress. It displays the save icon after every in-game milestone but when you attempt to load a save, you find that the last 75% of progress is gone. That means out of every 10 hours, you will lose 7 or 8 hours and will spend another 7 or 8 hours replaying it, and it may not even save that progress either. This is a known issue. It has been aGame is broken. Will not save majority of progress. It displays the save icon after every in-game milestone but when you attempt to load a save, you find that the last 75% of progress is gone. That means out of every 10 hours, you will lose 7 or 8 hours and will spend another 7 or 8 hours replaying it, and it may not even save that progress either. This is a known issue. It has been a known issue since the game was released two months ago. So far I have yet to see an Ubisoft response on the issue, if only to acknowledge the problem, let alone any work towards a fix. Expand
  93. Nov 20, 2013
    This is the best assassin's creed game i ever play. I soo love pirate concept and it's SANDBOX!!! But best thing is naval combat! I recommend evrybody ITS AWSOME!!!
  94. Dec 25, 2013
    I went into this game not expecting much, as in the past Assassin's Creed games were not as satisfying as I'd hoped. On the contrary, this game incorporates much more than just running around a city, climbing walls, and performing assassinations. Unlike it's predecessors, the game is actually very open and allows for the player to explore a vast world unseen in the franchise up to thisI went into this game not expecting much, as in the past Assassin's Creed games were not as satisfying as I'd hoped. On the contrary, this game incorporates much more than just running around a city, climbing walls, and performing assassinations. Unlike it's predecessors, the game is actually very open and allows for the player to explore a vast world unseen in the franchise up to this point. To be honest, I had lost much of my faith in the Assassin's Creed franchise due to it's previous lackluster titles, but AC4's Edward Kenway has restored hope for this series. The story itself draws you in and takes for a ride you would never expect. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to a friend, especially if you ever played and liked "Sid Meier's Pirates! 2". Expand
  95. Dec 11, 2013
    in my opinion the best assassins creed game in the franchise, although the game is bad optimized for pc i could run it on a 50-60 fps on ultra 1680x1050 with my r9 290, the story is well written, the game is dark and heavy, the gameplay is much improved, the characters are good, and the naval combat is better than ever, i loved ac3 and gave it a 10/10 and most of you didnt like my opinionin my opinion the best assassins creed game in the franchise, although the game is bad optimized for pc i could run it on a 50-60 fps on ultra 1680x1050 with my r9 290, the story is well written, the game is dark and heavy, the gameplay is much improved, the characters are good, and the naval combat is better than ever, i loved ac3 and gave it a 10/10 and most of you didnt like my opinion but for me ac3 is now 7/10 compared to this, but i am giving you a warning, this game is very bad optimized and i guess not everyone have a card like r9 290 or gtx 780 so if you have a low end card stay away from this game, i tried the game on my other pc with a low end card and it was very slow and unplayble, but for the end assassins creed iv is the best in the franchise and i reccomend it to everyone that have a decent pc that can run the game on 30 fps on any setting, (if you want to know check your card benchmark on ac iv in youtube)the best in the franchise in my opinion Expand
  96. Dec 3, 2013
    Just Assassin´s creed being Assassin´s creed...
    I thing the Black Flag is best Assassin´s creed ever with best story..
    Thank you Ubisoft.
    Blablablabla
  97. Dec 20, 2013
    This was the one of the first Assassin's Creed games to interest me in a long time, visually the game is great looking and the detail in the world both on land and at sea is superb. I would have liked a variable difficulty setting though, even though I do not play 3rd person fighting games often and lack experience in them the combat is far to easy. Eddy can fight off whole packs of enemyThis was the one of the first Assassin's Creed games to interest me in a long time, visually the game is great looking and the detail in the world both on land and at sea is superb. I would have liked a variable difficulty setting though, even though I do not play 3rd person fighting games often and lack experience in them the combat is far to easy. Eddy can fight off whole packs of enemy soldiers with little difficulty, the same applies to the sea combat. At first taking on the larger ships like Frigates and Man'o'wars is challenging but once you get a firm of the combat and upgrade your ship you can single handily take on several Man'o'wars and their escorts. Only the four non respawning "legendary" ships provide a challenge after that.

I would have liked some crew management options too, having to take care of the Jackdaws crew and their morale is strangely missing. Criticisms aside though the game is a lot of fun with varied missions and some really thematic set pieces like trying to slowly stealthily sail your ship down a narrow and foggy bayou avoiding watchtowers or fighting running battles through Havana and trying to escape back to your ship through a burning town as the Royal Navy bombard the port you are hiding at. There are loads of side activities to do like the naval assassination missions where you do everything from sinking ships to boarding a ship to kill its captain or escorting another ship past its enemies. There are various land assassination side missions too, some are in cities and others you have to sail to a lonely cove or hidden smuggling den.

You can go hunting to collect items for crafting to improve Kenways equipment or make new outfits and hunt on both land at sea, there is a large multi part quest to collect items to unlock a unique piece of armour as well as many other collectibles with unique rewards. The highest end ship upgrades for instance need you to collect the plans and blueprints, you even need to use a diving bell and dive to ship wrecks for some of them. You can capture some of the ships you take and add them to your fleet, your fleet is a strategic mini game where you can send ships on trade or diplomatic missions and take part in turn based fleet battles. The fleet missions also earn you cash, collectibles and upgrade items. There is a huge amount of content in this game as well as the main storyline and I have got nearly 40 hours of gameplay out of it so far, even though I am only 50% or so through the main story so far so good. There are some interesting and iconic characters and the writing and voice acting is good.
  98. Dec 29, 2013
    Being a massive Assassin's Creed fan since day 1 and after the massive failure of a game that was the previous one (Assassin's Creed III), I expected nothing from this game. Surprisingly, it succeeded pretty well and I must say it is one of the better Assassin's Creed games.
    The new locations and setting in general refreshed the game quite a bit. I'm sure anyone who's at least slightly into pirate history will enjoy this game (there are a few characters in the game that did actually exist in real life and were pirates), so I must give a bonus to the devs for, again, educating the players with some history.
    The graphics are amazing, albeit horribly optimized for my system, not to mention the sound design is pretty great as the environment sounds real, to put it bluntly. The shanties are a real fun time in the game they made me just sail and listen for at least a few hours in my total time of gameplay.
    Sadly, the game is still glitchy, which is excusable for such a massive game, with glitchy animations, skipping and missing sounds, not to mention the developers forgot to think about their dynamic weather system in cutscenes.
    The multiplayer is pretty much the same, with a few added things, but still as fun as before (hey, the SP is new, don't complain about MP as it's not the main factor in this game!)
    The only extremely disappointing thing in this game dumbed down mechanics. The AI has been dumed down and now acts very strangely especially in scripted missions so the missions would be easier for the player (distracting someone will only make the tailed person scratch their head and continue on, even if they're suspicious and paranoid) and although the ship fighting has been fleshed out, it has been dumed down as well cannon reload speeds are insane (3 seconds and you can spam your way out of any combat situation as well as no ship sail damage and cannon ammunition type selection), not to mention most ships are the same as the small ones design-wise (speed, weapons, etc, basically dumbed down so the incompetent player could win against a massive man-o-war) and the legendary ship variations make no sense (they can go faster than a jumbo jet, I mean, it's a legendary ship, that gives it a reason to?)
    Overall, I'd say it's a massive improvement over the previous game and definitely worth the price (it's fairly long and will take out at least 30 hours of your playtime and even more if you get addicted to the MP)
  99. Dec 24, 2013
    I tried to not feel disappointed on this one but I was. a lot. In some aspects Black Flag is an utter failure but in others it's amazingly well done and outshine the previous games in the series by far.
    The bad thing: Modern Abstergo plot
    The bad thing: Modern Abstergo plot
    I'm a fan of Assassin's Creed series and I think what they did with the plot is total BS. I'm talking about the modern-day plot not getting into spoilers here, it was absolutely terrible, both the idea and the execution of it. This was the most disappointing part.
    Another bad thing: GLITCHES, ARMY OF THEM
    Every part of the game is filled with minor glitches, patches fix a lot of them but it's super-common for camera to go crazy or the character having problems with scalling a 0,5 meters tall fence, or character falling to the ground in combat for no reason, or weapons clipping and animations desyncing...you get the idea I hope. It's just very rough on the edges.
    Last but not least: Controls
    It's obvious they are meant for consoles and they suck on PC. It's very hard to control character when free running or in combat. No target lock. Weird aiming (at least we finally have it implemented).

Now to the good part: The World
    The world is HUUUGE. There are some reused assets but it's still a pleasure to explore new places and gather those little collectibles that I never cared about before.

Also good: The visuals
    This game is beautiful and there is no denying of it, and it's pretty well optimized aside from some FPS issues, but I was able to almost max it out on GTX 570. Surprisingly good job Ubisoft.

I'm not really going into details because you can google them...I don't care.
    Mixed feelings, best get it on sale.
  100. Dec 18, 2013
    I have not played any of the previous versions of Assassin's Creed, but I have become hooked on Black Flag. The graphics are awesome and the story engaging, the only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because the missions and tasks become somewhat repetitive once you get into the meat of the story. Well worth the buy!

1. Mar 5, 2014
    Ironically enough for a game which centers around the concept of genetic ancestry, however, it continually lets itself down by refusing to break away from its own tired and worn-out heritage,
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    Fans that were bummed out by Assassin’s Creed III will most likely find Black Flag to be a welcoming return to what they love about the series, with a great story, amazingly crafted world and smart additions to the sailing that make it a refreshing part of the Assassin’s Creed formula.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    Makes up for the failings of AC3, delivering a fantastic, engaging open world experience. [Jan 2014, p.78]