7.3

1. Feb 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Revelations" improved "Assassin's" world in many ways. But yet I have some mixed feelings about it.
    On one side, there is a polished gameplay (comparing to assassins released earlier) and a solid story, on the other side some additions to the story (I mean animus) and DLC content didn't work as much as I had hoped, some episodes in story were either boring or poorly directed (death of Lucy).
    Anyway, the game is a good ending to the story of Ezio, maybe not as epic as many had hoped, but good anyway.
  2. May 3, 2013
    TL;DR version: This game had no reason to exist. Stealth assassin stuff is cool as usual, but there's not enough of it. Way too much completionist Zynga-style crap. Boring setting, characters and story.

Full version: I realize this would've been more relevant like a year+ ago, but I waited to play it and got it for $5 on Steam instead. Which is about all it's worth. When it came out, I think a lot of AC fans kinda wondered if there was any reason to do another game with Ezio. Well, the answer is no. No, there wasn't. But since I've played all the others, I figured I'd play this one before I eventually get III.

The actual stealth assassin gameplay is still badass, and it always has been. However, it's becoming a minor portion of what you actually do in the game. Instead, you get a lot more Zynga-esque "do this crap 15 times, wait 10 minutes, then you can do it another 15 times, etc."

Of course, AC has always had a bunch of random squares all over the map for you to chase down and do mini-quests. Revelations just has an overwhelming amount of it. The economy/city management stuff adds nothing to the game, and would fit in better as a stand-alone title on Facebook known as AssassinVille.

You have to run around and "renovate" like 100 different stores and buildings around the massive city. Why? So you earn more money every 20 minutes. And where does 90% of that money go? Into "renovating" more crap. Basically, they tweaked the game economy to gobble up your cash a lot faster than it did in Brotherhood.

And since you're old Master Assassin now, you have deal with training assassins and running guilds around the world. You can start getting underlings pretty early in this game, so instead of having to kill those pesky guards yourself, you can just have hit R1 to have NPCs drop out of the sky and kill them for you.

The assassin training stuff wouldn't be so bad if they just limited it to the city. It actually includes some of the better actual stealth-kill missions of the game. But instead, they expanded the "Take Over the World" text-based mini-game, which again plays like something made by Zynga, except with less graphics. They made it where you assign your assassins to a bunch of other cities, so you're constantly having to go out and train new ones.

So you got your 100 stores and buildings to renovate. You got your couple dozen assassins to train, your 10 cities to take over, your 100 world missions to do. There's some quests involving thieves, and mercenaries, and Romani. There's a 100 animus data fragments to find.* And 10 pages from some guy's journal. And a bunch of random treasure chests, etc etc.

Wait, wasn't there a real game about killing Templars and stuff in here somewhere? Oh yeah, that. Well, the story and the setting in this game kinda suck. There are really no interesting characters to care about. Ezio barely manages to keep your attention as the lead. There's some boring chick that he falls in love with. One random sidekick. Some boring villains with uninteresting backstories and motivations. Just in general, Constantinople and Ottoman royalty are boring as hell compared to climbing around Venetian waterways and Roman ruins, hanging out with Leonardo Da Vinci, Popes, and other charismatic Italians.

Sure they added bombs and a crossbow, but there's really not enough challenge to the game for you to actually need to try very hard to utilize your weapons. The bombs are an occasional gimmick, and the crossbow offers no distinct advantage of ranged gun and knife options.

If you're playing through the AC series, just watch the ending on YouTube or something.

*This rewards you with another mini-game that looks like Portal without a Portal gun and has Desmond rambling about his memories (which happen to contradict what we've learned about his past before) while he meanders around some kind of Animus block world. Yay! Not really.
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    For experienced AC players.Good one.
    But it seems that this one has not been tested sufficiently for some new features not interesting enough,like the hookblade,without which those effects it takes can also be reached through other methods.
    For experienced AC players.Good one.
    Bomb part is a bit of unreasonable and boring for the uneasy aiming and occupation of the secondary weapon key,however there's a too large challenge system and glitches in data records of the bombs(I've contact UBI service executives,without a answers of correcting but suggesting that replaying).Some people may say that using bombs we can quickly deal with a big group of janissaries.But I prefer bare hands melee.
    Assassin recruit system are not improved but more inconvenient,recruits' weapon types are "predictable“,but sometimes not,another glitch,maybe.The UI or maneuver system of Mediterranean arrangement of recruits are not easy to be used or noticed,for many players did not "notice" it and did not know of that there can be more than 12 recruits.
    Tower defense is a game,as a lone one.In the real gameplay,the tower defense comes to disturb the experiance of the players' in the beginning part of the game walkthrough.People are firstly annoyed with it.But after most of the game features experianced and completed,players really want to play more about the tower defense,but was told that:your assassin dens are managed by master assassin recruits,the templars can never get the chance to attack.
    If they really improve the tower defense system,I suggest that adding one option of it in some menu,like the Tyranny of King Washington in Assassin's Creed 3,with a gameplay like Plant vs Zombies.
  4. CBZ
    Dec 6, 2011
    So far im not impressed at all. Someone already said this but i want to confirm it: It feels like a copy paste of AC: Brotherhood. There are no graphical advances, the gameplay is exactly the same. The few improvements such as hookblade and bombs don't make this game feel like a new game but just a DLC. Multiplayer maps are tiny and very annoying. And they changed Desmond and Altair's faceSo far im not impressed at all. Someone already said this but i want to confirm it: It feels like a copy paste of AC: Brotherhood. There are no graphical advances, the gameplay is exactly the same. The few improvements such as hookblade and bombs don't make this game feel like a new game but just a DLC. Multiplayer maps are tiny and very annoying. And they changed Desmond and Altair's face and also Altair's voice which is a big mistake if you are following a saga like this.
    However, its not a bad game, if you liked the previous ones and want to know more about the story, or you are tired of playing in Firenze or Rome buy it. Its just as much fun, I'm just disappointed that they focus on producing one game a year instead of a new well done game less often. there was a huge improvement from the first game to the second, now this one feels like the same game with no effort whatsoever.
  5. Dec 8, 2011
    For me revelations its quite annoying. Ezio moves like he is retarded and also this whole thing about fighting for hide-outs and recruiting new members is taking way too much room. Story line seems ok, but still i didn't had this much fun like with previous parts.
  6. Dec 21, 2011
    i created an account just to express my feelings about this game.... in 4 words "unfinished, unpolished and rushed" ... that's what i feel.. the character model is suppose to be better than before.. but IMO it looks really ugly, the facial expresion look really unbelievable.. desmond face is ugly as **** and ezio looks like a truck just came over his face... i get it he is old... but ii created an account just to express my feelings about this game.... in 4 words "unfinished, unpolished and rushed" ... that's what i feel.. the character model is suppose to be better than before.. but IMO it looks really ugly, the facial expresion look really unbelievable.. desmond face is ugly as **** and ezio looks like a truck just came over his face... i get it he is old... but i really don't dig this new graphics... multiplayer is fun if you're a true fan of the game... else you'll feel really dissapointed ..interface is a joke... i feel more lost than anything... graphics are meh... and still has pc port problems. Ubisoft wtf? this is the game that all the hype was about? this is the game that i was so excited when i first saw the trailer... is good that i have friends to play or i would never expend 50 dollars on this game. Improved so far: Matchmaking and the nat status is a cool added feature, gotta love the new deathmatch mode and customizations are cool. i give it a 6 out of 10 cuz i'm a fan of the series since the first one... so i'm being polite here..... Expand
  7. Dec 4, 2011
    The worst Assassins Creed with Ezio so Far :( . It looks like a copy paste of Broderhood, with new place (Istambul). But most irritating are the new faces of Ezio/Desmond. It realy feels like im playing some different game from different developers. The storry is borring, just series of "go there and complete mission). I just think that Revelations has nothing to do with original ACThe worst Assassins Creed with Ezio so Far :( . It looks like a copy paste of Broderhood, with new place (Istambul). But most irritating are the new faces of Ezio/Desmond. It realy feels like im playing some different game from different developers. The storry is borring, just series of "go there and complete mission). I just think that Revelations has nothing to do with original AC series, this is just product for additional profit for devs. Now im not telling that this game is cra.ap but im definitely dissapointed :( Expand
  8. Feb 13, 2012
    Not nearly as good as AC2 or Brotherhood. It feels like Ubi wanted to take some chances with this iteration, but there wasn't enough commitment. The added features feel tacked-on, and more like an attempt to squeeze more cash out of the franchise. The departure of Patrice Desolets doesn't bode well for the future of this franchise unless they can re-discover what made it so great, andNot nearly as good as AC2 or Brotherhood. It feels like Ubi wanted to take some chances with this iteration, but there wasn't enough commitment. The added features feel tacked-on, and more like an attempt to squeeze more cash out of the franchise. The departure of Patrice Desolets doesn't bode well for the future of this franchise unless they can re-discover what made it so great, and stop trying to drag things out unnecessarily. You've got a good franchise, guys, just don't milk it to death. Wrap the story up, and end on a high note. Expand
  9. Jan 21, 2012
    Disappointing, tsk tsk tsk. We all loved the Italy theme and don't get me wrong Altiar's travels were also lots of fun, but the gamestyle used in AC2 and ACB, do not go well with an Istanbul theme. They tried hard to re-immerse people in a new AC environment but they shouldn't have picked istanbul, not that it is not a great city it is just people want to see AC go in a totally crazyDisappointing, tsk tsk tsk. We all loved the Italy theme and don't get me wrong Altiar's travels were also lots of fun, but the gamestyle used in AC2 and ACB, do not go well with an Istanbul theme. They tried hard to re-immerse people in a new AC environment but they shouldn't have picked istanbul, not that it is not a great city it is just people want to see AC go in a totally crazy direction such as Victorian England or Ninja Japan. Ridiculous? yes, but fun. This game only has a few new features and puts you in the boots of ezio with grey hair, i mean splinter cell i understand but ezio? the parcour stuntman of the renaissance? just no. Expand
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    I'm not impressed. Why? There's copy form Brotherhood, story is not bad, but there's very easy missions sometimes, there's not any difficult thing to do. I don't know why they can't put some innovation. New graphic engine? It's time for it, cause everyone is hating Call of Duty for old engine, but AC have 3 games on same engine, and next episode is going to be too on old engine. Not badI'm not impressed. Why? There's copy form Brotherhood, story is not bad, but there's very easy missions sometimes, there's not any difficult thing to do. I don't know why they can't put some innovation. New graphic engine? It's time for it, cause everyone is hating Call of Duty for old engine, but AC have 3 games on same engine, and next episode is going to be too on old engine. Not bad game, but i want some better action in AC:III cause there's no any innovations, except end of the game. I'm sorry for my bad language. Expand
  11. Feb 1, 2012
    A intriguing but cliche finish to the story. The city of Istanbul is magnificently portrayed. However, some of the dialogues are weak and unrealistic and the limited voices makes all the minor characters sound the same.
    This game's strong point is the overall expanding assassin's creed concept of the animus but the previous games are more interesting .
    There was a lot of potential
    There was a lot of potential unrealised in this game and that is a real pity.
  12. Feb 17, 2012
    This series need to end. I plead gamers, stop spending money on creatively bankrupt franchises like this. I have a huge, ginormous nerd-boner for AC2, but it's the only decent game in the series. Brotherhood was clear and honest with how much time wasting bulls*** you'd be spending you're time with, but I was still shocked when a half hour in to this game, you are expected to 'play' aThis series need to end. I plead gamers, stop spending money on creatively bankrupt franchises like this. I have a huge, ginormous nerd-boner for AC2, but it's the only decent game in the series. Brotherhood was clear and honest with how much time wasting bulls*** you'd be spending you're time with, but I was still shocked when a half hour in to this game, you are expected to 'play' a horrendous tower defense section. Yes, it is only required this one time, but once is too much. PLEASE developers, do not respond to market research pressures! Gamers enjoy focused products, not bloated games like this one. This game feels like an entire back of the box quote- "massive, expansive world", "realtime crowd interaction" and "compelling gameplay" but what you have is a sports franchise game: Yearly updates to a formula, little creative risks taken to narrative and setting and a unsettling feeling of deja vu. The world is literally a copy and paste menagerie of textiles and shader maps. This is a functionally competent product, but so is peanut butter. I want 2-3 years before the next AC, and it should be as significant as AC2. Vote with your dollar, do not annualize an otherwise great series. Expand
  13. Dec 25, 2011
    assassin's creed is as good as ever,but this installment lacks any major inovation a sequel needs.
    the biggest new thing being Bombs,which quite frankly,the game can do without.and feels more like an excuse to scatter material for it everywhere.another new thing is the hookblade which is a cool trinket but isnt enough to warrant a sequel. no what apparently is warranting this sequel is the story..which is in general lackluster except for the missions directly involving the masyaf keys that drive the whole plot to begin with. with all these complaints,you probably wonder why i would still give it this number. well thats because revelations is still a assassin's creed game,it still has the solid free-running and assassinations and it still maintains stealth as getting in the easier kills(not-counting counter moves, that this time around,dont always insta-kills). ow and if your worrying about desmond,dont worry,we still get plenty to see of him..or not, if you prefer that.
  14. Dec 2, 2011
    Revelations is kind reminiscent of the kid who went to college but didn't know what he wanted to major in. The game has you doing alot of stuff from the 3 previous games, but there is no single direction. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as seeing different pieces of different games redone in better quality graphics is nice. The gameplay is pretty well done, the extra little bullet-timeRevelations is kind reminiscent of the kid who went to college but didn't know what he wanted to major in. The game has you doing alot of stuff from the 3 previous games, but there is no single direction. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as seeing different pieces of different games redone in better quality graphics is nice. The gameplay is pretty well done, the extra little bullet-time slowdowns in combat are fun, and the graphics have been increased by UBI to show off their engine. I have to say it feels a bit disjointed from the first two Ezio games story-wise, and the Desmond story is pretty good, but alot of parts are quite odd.

This game is VERY different from Brotherhood. So far, I am mildly enjoying it; I am a long time fan of the AC series, from AC1 to Brotherhood. I've even watched the movies. But its just missing that spark you had in ACII and Brotherhood. Thats why this is a 7.
  15. Dec 29, 2011
    Not a bad effort but something is lacking - or it may be that I have outgrown the series myself. The addition of bombmaking is somewhat tedious and boring and does not add any value for me. The story itself is good as are the graphics (PC) Not really for newcomers to the series but one for enthusiasts to bring it all together. In summary, more of the usual with a few additions that for meNot a bad effort but something is lacking - or it may be that I have outgrown the series myself. The addition of bombmaking is somewhat tedious and boring and does not add any value for me. The story itself is good as are the graphics (PC) Not really for newcomers to the series but one for enthusiasts to bring it all together. In summary, more of the usual with a few additions that for me don't work and these are in place of some things introduced in Brotherhood that were actually a bit better so for me a 7. Expand
  16. Nov 29, 2011
    oh god, desmond, what have they done with your face?! as keoki said whole desmond part of the game was ruined cause of his new face. other than that, its good old assassins creed with couple fixes of the old bugs and a few new ones.
  17. Mar 9, 2012
    The game itself doesnt have many changes compared to brotherhood. I was pretty impressed with brotherhood but in our technologically advanced society there are constant improvements in graphics an cpu power. In a sequal i expect impovements. ( otherwise we would still playing tetris and pacman) Storytelling still ok but seriously scouting another city to sit on top of 20 towers? I give itThe game itself doesnt have many changes compared to brotherhood. I was pretty impressed with brotherhood but in our technologically advanced society there are constant improvements in graphics an cpu power. In a sequal i expect impovements. ( otherwise we would still playing tetris and pacman) Storytelling still ok but seriously scouting another city to sit on top of 20 towers? I give it a 7 but barely. Expand
  18. Apr 15, 2012
    As Ubisoft piles new weapons, animations, and hordes of enemies onto their once-great-now-tired Florentine hero under the guise of a sequel, I become more and more grateful that the third game will, at least, bring a new beginning.

Let's face it: Assassin's Creed was half-impressive. At first it was the best thing since sliced bread, but eventually, after you notice that every mission is the exact same one as before in a new city, it becomes repetitive. The second game was the gem of the series - a perfect balance of story, setting, music, and combat - both tactical assassination and heated fights. But as the series progressed in Brotherhood, the story became second-rate, and more and more emphasis was put on parkour and large fights. Still, I forgave Brotherhood because, despite its flaws, it still maintained established characters, a beautiful setting, and at least moderately addicting gameplay.

Then, Revelations. Revelations started by taking everything we knew about Ezio away - all of the characters we knew since II, one-dimensional as they were, all of the Italian settings we had come to enjoy, the enduring fight with a corrupt Vatican. In return, we get shallow characters that seem less interested in helping us solve our goals, and more interested in having us as their little assassin call-boy for their own domestic disputes which, frankly, I could care less about.

The gameplay progresses little. You get a couple more tools and weapons - but frankly, I'd prefer a small arsenal that I use a ton than a large inventory of every type of bomb I could ever not want. The free-running remains fun, and the setting is visually fantastic, although the presence of a large body of water cleaving the city in two (which can only be crossed at one or two locations without taking a long, long swim) puts a damper on your building-climbing fun. The combat system plays exactly like Brotherhood, despite the addition of several almost useless weapons. Finally, the notion of being an assassin, of fulfilling tactical missions that involve more than lobbing a cherry bomb to distract guards, and the urgency of combating one or two powerful adversaries is replaced by a game full of mob fights focused around a goal that has little if any urgency behind it.

But let's talk about Desmond/Adam Sandler for a second. Since Desmond is in a tricky situation - separated again from the characters that have been established over the last two games - the only story outside of Ezio's we get comes in the form of first-person (yep) "puzzle" platformers that provide moderately interesting story backed by a hideously boring and nonsensical physical "game". I would have rather just read the narrative on a black screen. But - I'll give them this - the extra Desmond parts are unlocked by your actions as Ezio - by collecting bonus items - which make for a much, much more attractive reward for bonus activity than collecting feathers or investing in shops did.

Then there's the technical side. A sub-par physics/collision system, AI glitches that result in non-hostile enemies in the heat of combat, graphical bugs, and stuttering with the highest-end systems only. It literally reeks of sloppy console porting.

Fortunately, ACIII will bring a new story (technically it won't, but by nature of the series being a frame story, the inside story is the one most people really give a crap about). Then again, by destroying everything that made Ezio who he is (other than the accent, of course), Ubisoft effectively made a new story with Revelations, and did a horrendous job at it.
  19. Mar 21, 2012
    While I would agree with many people who clearly state "this is the worst Assassin's Creed yet" this by no means is cause for alarm thinking this is a bad game. Even if it's a bad Assassin's Creed game it is still a better offering than most games have to give. The graphics are the best looking yet (although some character models look a bit...off). Some parts of this game are justWhile I would agree with many people who clearly state "this is the worst Assassin's Creed yet" this by no means is cause for alarm thinking this is a bad game. Even if it's a bad Assassin's Creed game it is still a better offering than most games have to give. The graphics are the best looking yet (although some character models look a bit...off). Some parts of this game are just stunning to look at. The game-play itself doesn't feel quite as smooth or refined as in previous iterations but it is manageable and hasn't caused me a lot of issue. The story itself is slower paced and less urgent than its predecessors which reflects Ezios growth as both a character and an aging man. Still, it is a small step backwards storytelling wise with what you expect from an Assassin's Creed game, but it is still and enjoyable play-through. I only have a few gripes about this game, one is a gripe I have had since day one of the series, the other two exclusive to Revelations. I hate the interface. It's is slow, unintuitive, and clunky. I never liked it in the first game and can't believe it still exists pretty unchanged throughout the whole series. Second is the "tower defense" mini game. Totally uninteresting, totally unchallenging, and a complete waste of time. Third is the "Desmond's Journey" sequences. Stupid little "side quests" outside the main storyline that you have to unlock piece by piece that slowly reveals Desmond's past before the events of the series delivered in one of the worst game-play scenarios ever though up. I'd have given this game an 8 but the inclusion of the stupid Desmon side quests that are annoying as hell with little payoff and the tower defense mini-game that seems more like a bigwigs insistence on its inclusion because "tower defense games are popular!" instead of a thoughtful design choice it only get a 7. Expand
  20. Feb 17, 2012
    This feels like its having the same issue that the CoD series is having, AC:Revelations is no different then previous games. The Bomb making mechanics is very bad.

The Enviroments are very, very polished and Beautiful, but still feels the same to the last to AC games. The Combat is very good and is an improvement from the other AC games. THe story doesn't keep me interested for long, but

The Combat is very good and is an improvement from the other AC games.
    THe story doesn't keep me interested for long, but playing as Altair again was very fun.

Overall the game was very fun, combat was amazing, exploring the enviroments is fun, but overall, the animations and gameplay are an improvement, but just lacks any real innovation.
  21. Apr 7, 2012
    I came the next Assassin's Creed beloved by many. Surprised, however, because again we saw mostly the same, although in good form. There was here a lot of new cool stuff and cool story is here developed. Continues the themes of Ezio and Altair making a series of takes on even greater relish. But the creators of the game very complicated, there have been here too many new things totally tooI came the next Assassin's Creed beloved by many. Surprised, however, because again we saw mostly the same, although in good form. There was here a lot of new cool stuff and cool story is here developed. Continues the themes of Ezio and Altair making a series of takes on even greater relish. But the creators of the game very complicated, there have been here too many new things totally too (although they were too cool) game but for fans of the series is good. My rating - 7.5 / 10 Expand
  22. Dec 4, 2011
    Revelations is a must purchase if you are an AC fan. However, if you have never played AC before do NOT purchase this game as it is not a good reflection on the series. Identical to the last 3 releases: Quality graphics, sound, and story. Changes from the previous 3: Gameplay feels aimless at times, sluggish controls, and an absolutely horrible new tower defense mode - which, BTW, has NORevelations is a must purchase if you are an AC fan. However, if you have never played AC before do NOT purchase this game as it is not a good reflection on the series. Identical to the last 3 releases: Quality graphics, sound, and story. Changes from the previous 3: Gameplay feels aimless at times, sluggish controls, and an absolutely horrible new tower defense mode - which, BTW, has NO PLACE in a 3rd person action/adventure game Expand
  23. Jan 12, 2012
    Not as good as Brotherhood, but still a decent game.

Not as good as Brotherhood, but still a decent game.

I've always thought the assassin's creed franchise has it's strength in story telling. Revelation? not so much. Even though advertised as a game that will let you play as all 3 known assassins; Ezio, Altair, Desmond, it's really based on Ezio, which I love, but it's a letdown. Altair, the one that I personally most expected, was just 5 different 10 minutes missions, and a couple of them was just interactive cinematics. Also his stories do not reveal anything. Just some extra stories after the events of AC 1. Desmond? His story takes place where 'the truth' part used to be and it's just all puzzles and desmond talking. (I haven't even finished his part because I was getting tired collecting all these animus data fractions.) Well, then even Ezio's part isn't even done as good as the other AC games. There is no personal growth, no overthrowing a gigantic evil power. Ezio pretty much stays low and does his secret finding, which never gave up any satisfying revelations (in other words, Altair missions.) Although to be fair, there is one satisfying moment at the end of the game.

Graphics isn't that evolved, but it is better than Brotherhood, much like AC2 was. Quite detailed and clear. Also the art department still lives up to the expectation. The city of Constantinople looks very much like a centre of all cultures that era.

The gameplay makes me feel like Ubi did it's best. The new bombs are pretty cool, although creating them is a pain in the ass even with the awesome simulation thing that let you test each bombs before you actually create it and carry around. The simulation is actually a very nice touch, instead of those boring training stuff that was in AC2 and slightly better than the training sessions from Brotherhood.
    The hook blade was a nice addition too, especially the zip lines. I did miss having 2 hidden blades though just because I think it's cooler.
    The fighting is a little more complex and annoying than the Brotherhood's, which was perfect. Because it's harder with Janissaries, you need to make more use of your assassin recruits and bombs and now it's more than just counter kills and kill streaks but still, not MUCH improvements that I saw between AC1, 2, Brotherhood. Well it does make sense and fit the story as now Ezio is in his 50s and can't just kill off 30 men by himself so I'm not complaining.
    I can certainly see how the studio really tried and did a good job. But It just ain't 'much' better than the other AC games. But really what was there to improve after what they did with AC2 and brotherhood?

I guess it IS about damn time they come up with someone else for the franchise, and leave Ezio alone now. For both the gameplay's and the story's sake. They can certainly do much more with someone from the 18th or something. I'd like to give a huge F sign to the big guys in the UBI and much love to the developers.

With all things above, it is a still assassin's creed series. With all the free running and assassinations, I loved this game and I'd say it's probably the best they could do in such a short time.
  24. Jan 14, 2012
    The game itself is fantastic and historically set as every. The dev team has obviously put a hell amount of work into making the set-pieces all work out and the areas historically accurate. But for an assassins creed fanatic of the last couple of year it left me quite disappointed. It is not much of an upgrade from brotherhood or even AC2 to be frank. The series has gotten itself into aThe game itself is fantastic and historically set as every. The dev team has obviously put a hell amount of work into making the set-pieces all work out and the areas historically accurate. But for an assassins creed fanatic of the last couple of year it left me quite disappointed. It is not much of an upgrade from brotherhood or even AC2 to be frank. The series has gotten itself into a little niche with Ezio and i would rather see it end. I got this game for the storyline, since I very much enjoy the great story that goes across all the games. The series really needs to do something new, it is quite hard as the engine is perfected, though i did notice some animation problems (especially with the new hook-blade gadget).

The series drastically needs a new setting, perhaps a modern assassin ( with Desmond as the lead) or at least a new assassin, the game-play is pretty much the same, if you're a fan of the series and have been following it for a while it's definitely worth renting, but i would not buy it at full price. Hopefully it will be assassin's creed 3 next not assassins creed 2.7

*Note* I'll just add in that if you're a newcomer to the series and just want to play revelations (though that may be hard to do story-wise) It is still a remarkable game in itself, just not as part of a series.
  25. Feb 23, 2012
    I have always love the assassin's creed series. i just feel after each one of them the only reason to get the next game is from what shocker what it shows at the end of the game. in this case, Desmand gets powers... what moron came up with that idea. This is still a good game. the games seem to get longer in lengh with each game but im not sure if thats because im getting slightly boredI have always love the assassin's creed series. i just feel after each one of them the only reason to get the next game is from what shocker what it shows at the end of the game. in this case, Desmand gets powers... what moron came up with that idea. This is still a good game. the games seem to get longer in lengh with each game but im not sure if thats because im getting slightly bored and it just feel that it's taking longer or or if it is genuinely longer. If they dont get back on track with a serious story im probably not gunna buy any more AC games and remember it when it was good. Expand
  26. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well what i could say, Ezio is starting to feel the old age on his own, movements are a bit slowed down, you will see it when playing the memory's of Altair, the game is not so long, there's only 1 city, which is very big, but almost empty, the graphic is very nice itself, the endgame will make you feel sad, not gonna spoil it anyway, if you want to conclude the story from previous game i suggest you to get it, the MP mode is also not bad, even if is sort of dead. Expand
  27. Jan 17, 2013
    If AC: Brotherhood felt like "more of the same," then Revelations felt like a second helping of leftovers. While not a bad game per se, it simply had very little improvement over previous titles. Most of the game mechanics are carried over from Brotherhood with little change, such as shop investment, apprentices, weapons. One significant improvement is the introduction of a variety ofIf AC: Brotherhood felt like "more of the same," then Revelations felt like a second helping of leftovers. While not a bad game per se, it simply had very little improvement over previous titles. Most of the game mechanics are carried over from Brotherhood with little change, such as shop investment, apprentices, weapons. One significant improvement is the introduction of a variety of bombs which can be crafted, from frags to smoke bombs to poison gas. While this could be rather fun to 'play' around with, I found that, in combination with the array of other weapons, it often made fights and missions too easy. Now you can clear the way to the target with a crossbow or gun, then toss a bomb and blow up your target and any bodyguards with a single bomb. While this game benefits somewhat from a new setting, Istanbul, I found this city much less fun to play in than Rome. Moreover the new characters were largely uninteresting, and the story was drawn-out and boring. Revelations attempts to finish telling the story of Altair through a series of 'flashback' missions, but these are mostly tedious and boring, and do little to bring real closure. I felt that Revelations raised a lot more questions than it answered--and not in a good way--and from a gameplay perspective was mostly just Brotherhood recycled. I guess that's what you get when rush to release 2 AC games within one year... Expand
  28. Jul 8, 2014
    I skipped this game back then after playing for 3 hours: just finishing Brotherhood, it was kind of boring to go back again and do the usual routine. After 1.5 years, I played AC3 and beyond a few curious things, it didn't feel I need to play AC2R in order to understand what's going on. AC3 was fun, AC4 was more fun, AC3L was still fun, but not as much as AC4. Now that I played those, II skipped this game back then after playing for 3 hours: just finishing Brotherhood, it was kind of boring to go back again and do the usual routine. After 1.5 years, I played AC3 and beyond a few curious things, it didn't feel I need to play AC2R in order to understand what's going on. AC3 was fun, AC4 was more fun, AC3L was still fun, but not as much as AC4. Now that I played those, I wanted to fill in the gap.

I felt the usual syndrome of going back to an early version after playing a more modern version: different controls, very slow menu and minimap (despite the gamer PC), lack of simplifications. The story is interesting, but not as moving as before and after: true to the critics, this was the bottom of the curve. The game time was rather short, 30 hours for 100% sync whereas I spent more than double in each of the sequels. Instant-fail-tail missions, naturally are there, which can become boring and annoying pretty quick, not to mention, after 7 installments.
  29. Apr 26, 2013
    A good game, nice continuation but i prefer the italian environment, and i miss that.

Why dont ubi soft add some splinter cell features? Like squat, strut and other
  30. Jun 18, 2013
    In all honesty just like Brotherhood I felt that this game could have been a downloadable dlc for Assassin's Creed II. The game offered absolutely nothing new and did something most fans didn't appreciate; messed with Altair. The game still offered some interested story point, but made Ezio and Desmond look like a manatee. Not cool!

31. Aug 5, 2012
    I had fun playing this game. Direct X 9c is old (released on August 4, 2004). PC's are more powerful than they were 8 years ago. Direct X 11 was released nearly three years ago. This past Wednesday they released Direct X 11.1 (August 1, 2012). Someone that developers listen to need to let them know these better Direct X versions are available.
  32. May 21, 2013
    A step back from Brotherhood. The limited development cycle really took a toll on this game. It feels the same as brotherhood, with some unnecessary minigames added and a less engaging story and environment. There also aren't any cool side missions like the ones with Leonardo in Brotherhood. Slightly disappointed by this game.
  33. May 16, 2014
    Unfortunately, AC Revelations is one of the weaker entries in the franchise. That's not to say it's a bad game, however there is very little new content when compared to past games. Of the few new additions to the game, many of the them often feel pointless or even tedious. Desmond's story gives some interesting insight into the main protagonist, but the whole first-person puzzleUnfortunately, AC Revelations is one of the weaker entries in the franchise. That's not to say it's a bad game, however there is very little new content when compared to past games. Of the few new additions to the game, many of the them often feel pointless or even tedious. Desmond's story gives some interesting insight into the main protagonist, but the whole first-person puzzle platforming levels were frankly, quite boring. The game also has its fair share of bugs. Expand
  34. Mar 12, 2014
    It's rather obvious that the developers aren't so familiar with Islamic history. Revelations doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed. Ordinary story. Bad gameplay and too easy controls. I shouldn't play that game.
  35. Jun 2, 2012
    Franchise milking at its finest, Revelations is a huge sign that the series needs to go forward. Featuring a miserable amount of changes from the previous title, Brotherhood (which on itself featured a miserable amount of changes from AC2), the game also fails to deliver a somewhat catching plot. All the new characters are uninteresting, the "drama" doesn't provoke any emotions except forFranchise milking at its finest, Revelations is a huge sign that the series needs to go forward. Featuring a miserable amount of changes from the previous title, Brotherhood (which on itself featured a miserable amount of changes from AC2), the game also fails to deliver a somewhat catching plot. All the new characters are uninteresting, the "drama" doesn't provoke any emotions except for annoyance ("How can the old experienced master assassin Ezio do such stupid things??") However, despite all the flaws, I spent good 22 hours in the game, guess assassinating people is still satisfying. It is an unnecessary addition to the franchise, but still better than Brotherhood, so if you haven't played that, just skip it and get to Revelations, you won't miss anything and the changes accumulated in these 2 games would actually be refreshing. Expand
  36. Aug 30, 2012
    The engine reaches it's limit. The graphics are....ok. The story is ... too short. But I like, that you have a real emotional bound to your assassins. They are not just a tool to use, they are people with a story. Better than in AC Brotherhood.
  37. Nov 21, 2012
    I'm sorry to the die hard fans of this series about this review but Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't live up to the hype. It is a above average game but not the best in the series. Personally I say Assassin's Creed 2 was the best from the AC series from Ubisoft. It had better visuals and even on console AC 2 was just simply an incredible achievement. While playing AC3 I understand they wanted toI'm sorry to the die hard fans of this series about this review but Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't live up to the hype. It is a above average game but not the best in the series. Personally I say Assassin's Creed 2 was the best from the AC series from Ubisoft. It had better visuals and even on console AC 2 was just simply an incredible achievement. While playing AC3 I understand they wanted to tell this new story but so far I just feel its disjointed. I'm not gonna touch on the story because everyone should know it from previews and reviews from other sources. My focused review is gonna be graphics and gameplay. I own it on pc and with pc with a pretty decent high end rig, this game looks ok with pretty good frames per second with little dropping in frame rate. But I feel at times like I'm playing a ps2 game. Don't know if anyone else gets that feeling. This game is unimpressive in graphics to me. Scope of the game is not that big as far as scale per section and the world feels somewhat linear in ways to go. You want a good open world game that you can be an assassin or play your style go to Skyrim. Skyrim is massive and looks way better. AC3 I was anticipating and was let down but is a decent game to play when I'm extremely bored. The small missions should be treated like mini games like the naval warfare. Everything feels short lived. Right when your having fun it yanks you from the excitement. It will force you to continue the pieces when you want to just explore even when your running around at will. Controls are awkward and it seems like the fighting is also a mini game. Hit counter thin strike then you just watch the fight unfold. This game feels to me like a interactive tech demo. This is the game walk cutscene walk cutscene follow cutscene mini fight walk cutscene. AC2 didn't do this eveything felt right. I felt progression as a player with what I did and it made me care. This game doesn't make me care, most of the beginning parts of the story I've pressed to skip cutscenes because it take 3 hours to get to the exploring. Like I said some will love it but us detail explorers will be left wanting. I give this game a 6 out of 10 because the things I love about it are few and short of time. And the other majority of the game is almost wasteful. I wish developers would ask us consumers, What game would you like to play next? And what type of missions do you like? And above all I haven't notice and interview with a developer that the question is asked, Are there auto generated missions so after I beat the story there is something to keep me occupied after all the main and side content is complete. Credits to Bethesda for that achievement. Cause Skyrim seems like a rpg simulator style game than a COD or arcade short lived game like the games that have been released on the consoles and pcs for the last few years. Expand
  38. Sep 27, 2012
    Story: good
    Music: very good
    Graphics: very good Gameplay: mediocre Story of Revelation follows Ezio's life and shed some light on Desmond's early childhood. I personally would like to see some more story development on Desmond's current mission but there isn't any. Ezio's storyline is very strong. However, I don't see much point in learning Desmond's childhood since it doesn't
    Story: good
    Music: very good
    Graphics: very good
    Gameplay: mediocre

Story of Revelation follows Ezio's life and shed some light on Desmond's early childhood. I personally would like to see some more story development on Desmond's current mission but there isn't any. Ezio's storyline is very strong. However, I don't see much point in learning Desmond's childhood since it doesn't feel connected to the current plot. Maybe it will be tided in somehow in the future series (I hope so)

The gameplay is a bit iffy. We have the usual AC brotherhood elements + hook blade, castle defense, bomb, and capture the node.

The usual AC elements are fine but hook blade + bomb makes Ezio way too powerful. You are literally an one man army that can take out anyone without being discovered. When there is 0 risk of dying/being discovered then the game feels a bit more diluted.

Castle defense is fun but the only way to play it is when you mess up and jack up your notoriety on purpose. I feel it would be a much better addition if it were combined with node capture mini game.

Node capture is weak and pointless. Capturing and maintaining nodes is a chore and simply not fun. There is simply no depth to it.

All in all, Revelations is a good game worth playing through for veterans and a great game for new comers.
  39. Nov 10, 2012
    i am really confuse here that Assassin's Creed has s*** tons of series that i cant even tell the difference. I did played the very first Assassin's Creed i thought it was pretty good. but then, they had many series that i dont know which ones which. i saw a older man's cover, a yonger man's cover and woman's cover...WTF??!!! am really confused!!!
  40. Jan 25, 2013
    Eh...there was something that truly bothered me about this game. ACB was so bright and had so much more optional crap to do. ACR seemed to drop that on it's ass. This is how I think of the AC series...AC1: A good pilot game...a beta if you so please. AC2: A well executed game that had detail and many optional things to do. ACB: a vast open game with many options and even more refinement.Eh...there was something that truly bothered me about this game. ACB was so bright and had so much more optional crap to do. ACR seemed to drop that on it's ass. This is how I think of the AC series...AC1: A good pilot game...a beta if you so please. AC2: A well executed game that had detail and many optional things to do. ACB: a vast open game with many options and even more refinement. ACR: lacks many previous options and the overal setting is dull and the ambiance noises are repeatitive. AC3: doesn't even deserve to be places with the rest of the AC games. Expand
  41. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is much better than Brotherhood. The Story ist very interesting, mabye not the whole game like Assassin's Creed 2, but to the end ist very exciting. The gamepkay is fluid, graphics are nice. But there are not many new features, mostly like the other Assassin's Creeds. Assassin's Creed Revelations is with Assassin's Creed 2 one of the best parts of this series.
  42. Jun 14, 2014
    a step back from brotherhood. the main drawback is there is nothing really innovative . its the same as brotherhood but in a different location . again lackluster multiplayer. but the plus side being a good story character development and a satisfying end to ezio.
  43. Sep 1, 2013
    There is one reason alone for purchasing Assassin’s Creed Revelations, Ezio.
    There is one reason alone for purchasing Assassin’s Creed Revelations, Ezio.
    In Assassin’s Creed II, Ubisoft created what would become one of the most successful video game characters of this generation. Ezio’s elegance, class, humour and all round entertaining persona carried the Assassin’s Creed franchise away from the monotone days of Altiar, into the success it has enjoyed in recent years. The same can be said for Revelations.
    The greatest asset of this game is Ezio, the performance by Rodger Smith is spot on and the writing has actually improved in relation to his lines making it more sophisticated to create a more believable story around a man looking for answers, that have deluded him over the previous games. In fact the story that actually centres on Ezio himself has never been so good, it’s a shame the plot around Constantinople is significantly weaker, portraying a power struggling in the Ottoman empire that you simple don’t come to care to much about. Over the game the story of Ezio will be neatly and most importantly satisfyingly tied up into a nice ribbon, doing the previous two games justice. However to get to this point you will have to get threw the other story plots including the Ottomans.
    The truth about this game is that you have most likely played it before, the fundamental mechanics, gameplay and style of game has not changed drastically since Assassin’s Creed II’s release in 2009. You will still be sent on quests by colourful characters to assassinate certain targets, find out important information to progress the story line and occasionally a nice curveball may be included such as stealing a street entertainers clothing and instrument. There is nothing wrong with this formula, as we know it works, however three games later it’s starting to wear thin.
    It must be said that Ubisoft has tried to innovate in some areas however even with some success, not enough has been done to actually make this game feel like a sequel rather then an extension pack. The hook blade does in fact create a new stance on combat and exploration, also the introducing of bomb crafting is a nice touch. Beyond this though is nothing but a tedious fort defence game and minor tweaks to the open world map. There is no way Ubisoft could get away with making so little changes again.
    Leaving these quarrels behind, if you have played the previous two titles in this series Revelations is definitely worth getting to complete the tale of one of video games most beloved characters, if you haven’t played any of the Assassin Creed games, I would strongly suggest buying Assassin’s Creed II as you get the same gameplay with a better story for a much lower price.
    In conclusion Revelations was a game needed to put Ezio to rest and it does this well, so it should be commended. Lets just hope that Ubisoft has a something up its sleeve so that it can build upon such a successful franchise.
  44. Jan 14, 2012

Ultimately, Revelations leaves behind a bittersweet taste: it's the end of a saga (or two, depending on how you view things) and integrates fairly well in the timeline of the series, but... it's nothing more than a detour that answers a few questions, not an actual step forward.
  2. Feb 29, 2012
    It's the perfect closure for Ezio's trilogy; however, it does not offer something completely new and if you were getting tired by Brotherhood's mechanisms, Revelations will definitely not change your mind.
    It's Assassin with all you love and hate, plus even more world control and bombs and genre experiments. Only the visuals are getting old while the foes are not getting any smarter. [Christmas 2011]