7.3

1. Nov 20, 2013
    The game works flawlessly. If you enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate, you will love this game too. The new companions are very interesting and their storylines made me want to keep playing. The graphics are also slightly better and allow for more zooming in or out. There are also more interesting items and different class kits to spice things up. Definitely would recommend!
  2. Jan 11, 2015
    Nice upgrade and well worth the price. The addition of improved pathfinding, zoom function, widescreen and some new characters + many hundreds of bugs fixed is very welcome.

While mods already does fix some of these issues it's nice to have it all in one package and not having to read up on what works with which mod, google for updates to mods etc. This is usually some hours of work when you install the game after a few years (i tend to install BG1-2 maye 4-5 years apart). Also mods have a tendency to be abandoned (with bugs and whatnot), Beamdog shows that they are willing to continue to support the game.

The new characters are really great btw, they blend in very well. Neera is wonderful and charming, love her voice!

Don't listen to the haters. These are just a small, but very loud, bunch of people who havent done nothing except for playing BG1-2 and maybe Fallout for the last 15 years, still living at home in their parents basement. A rather miserable crowd for sure. This is their Qu ran, no one is allowed to change it except themselves, and god / Allah forbid someone else is doing money on it - oh the horror!
  3. Feb 8, 2014
    Baldurs gate 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made, but the new content in this game sucks. Some upgrades are even worse than some mods that you can add to BG for free and the Black Pits 2 is pure trash. The only good new parts are Dorn and Hexxat quest lines, but Neeras quest line is really bad and Rassad is mediocre. I hoped that they will include some new non NPC related quests, butBaldurs gate 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made, but the new content in this game sucks. Some upgrades are even worse than some mods that you can add to BG for free and the Black Pits 2 is pure trash. The only good new parts are Dorn and Hexxat quest lines, but Neeras quest line is really bad and Rassad is mediocre. I hoped that they will include some new non NPC related quests, but instead you get **** Black Pits 2. Baldurs Gate 2 is a 10/10 game for sure, but the new content is really mediocre and double price is just overkill. Expand
  4. Apr 4, 2016
    Planescape torment is always high on a lot of rpg lists, but i remember playing the original BGII Shadows of Amn and was blown away by the sheer amount of gameplay this had. So many areas to visit, tons of quest, characters and npcs to interact with. The areas with all the background noises and npcs really come to life, giving the whole world an immersive feeling. After playing for weeks iPlanescape torment is always high on a lot of rpg lists, but i remember playing the original BGII Shadows of Amn and was blown away by the sheer amount of gameplay this had. So many areas to visit, tons of quest, characters and npcs to interact with. The areas with all the background noises and npcs really come to life, giving the whole world an immersive feeling. After playing for weeks i kept thinking surely this game cant have more? it did. I honestly spent weeks playing it, loved it and playing the enhanced editions has brought back all those memories. Im still finding little subquests and dialogue choices that i never made before that send you on more subquests. It is no doubt one of the best rpgs out there, and beamdog have done a great job enhancing this. Expand
  5. Jan 1, 2014
    A solid expansion with some bug fixing, graphics and extra content. I especially liked the extra new npc and their stories(which fit well in the game)
  6. Jan 5, 2014
    Maybe the best game of all times.This game is much better than the first baldur's gate and with the new improvements its even better than its own self from the past.They have done a good job at Beamdog to give us the chance to play again this ultra epic game.I bought it for 15 euro at steam.Practically a steal.This game will give me a very enjoyable 2014.Thank you Beamdog!
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    BG2 is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. And with this recent release, the game is still just as great.

When I was young, I bought it expecting something like Diablo...but BG2 is much bigger, and much deeper...the game is huge. Funny thing was I had no idea how the hell the AD&D rule set worked when I bought the game. I didn't even know what numeric values like "2D6+1" meant

Funny thing was I had no idea how the hell the AD&D rule set worked when I bought the game. I didn't even know what numeric values like "2D6+1" meant because I had never played D&D and never made the connection to "2 six-sided dice plus 1 damage" til much later. The whole game was a learning experience, but ultimately when you do get some understanding of how it works the D&D rule set makes the game all the more enjoyable because of the sheer number of cool spells and items and character customization options that the D&D rule set allows.

This game was way ahead of it's time, too. The voice acting and writing are great, and the alignment system makes interacting with other characters interesting and adds replay value. Each party member is interesting, with the own personality, alignments, and side quests to perform. You can even establish a romance with a party member if you treat him/her right.

I can't really recommend this game enough. The one thing I would consider before buying it is the game's length and learning curve...which aren't that problematic.
  8. Nov 15, 2013
    I strongly disagree with views this game is over-priced.

I strongly disagree with views this game is over-priced.

Beamdog is doing great work extending the long term viability of these classic titles. The enhanced version of Baldur's Gate was superior to the GOG version (which I also own). This version is a legitimate rebuild and extension of a great game that allows it to seamlessly function on new systems. Thanks for a great rebuild of a great game! If you at all have any love for this game, be sure to support all the honest efforts to extend its playability into the future. People who moan about $26 as 'too much' for a game like this are losing perspective on the true value of work in this industry and perchance need spend less time playing games and more time working in the REAL world. You want the industry to support classic games? Support mods by all means, but also definitely BUY games like this so that the teams doing the work can continue to provide great games for all of us. Buy the GOG version. Mod your original version AND buy this. Then you will truly be in a position to give an honest (and constructive) review. I wonder how many 'fans' ready to score bomb this are sitting on big libraries of torrent-stolen games.

Most irritating thing is that if these butt-hurt moaners really can't afford it, they only have to wait a few months till they can get it for pennies on a Steam sale. How painful that is NOT!

Get some bloody perspective!

Orctowngrot
  9. Nov 16, 2013
    I do agree with the fact that the game being $25 is fairly steep, but giving the game a 0 because of it is complete and utter stupidity. This game is a great game and I have been enjoying every moment of it. It is well worth the $25 I spent on it. If you don't want to get it at full price, I would get it when it goes on sale at least!
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    Great game! I had the original release, which I loved, and am very pleased with this new release also. For myself, the greater clarity, the widescreen resolution and the added content have proven very effective at revitalising this classic game. I thoroughly recommend this game to both old fans and new players alike! A special shout out to one of the new NPCs, Hexxat. A very cool story arc! Enjoy!
  11. Nov 18, 2013
    This is the greatest RPG ever made, everything about it is flawless. I have played this game my whole life and love it! How people give it a 0 because it is overpriced is truly stupid. Also compared to the priceof games today, you get one of the best games ever for 35$ cheaper than the standard 60$ price tag. Get this game and love it as much as I have!
  12. Nov 18, 2013
    This is an incredible game that has been graced with amazing enhancements. I've loved this game for a while now and was so happy to see it was getting an upgrade. I disagree with others that the game is overpriced. Many HD remakes are either similar in price or even more expensive. I have and will play this over and over again because of the quality. The artwork for the black pit area wasThis is an incredible game that has been graced with amazing enhancements. I've loved this game for a while now and was so happy to see it was getting an upgrade. I disagree with others that the game is overpriced. Many HD remakes are either similar in price or even more expensive. I have and will play this over and over again because of the quality. The artwork for the black pit area was amazing! Beamdog is doing amazing with what they have and I will continue to buy games from them Expand
  13. Nov 18, 2013
    This is the best game ever made and people complain about paying 25$. The enhancements are more than enough since 1. You should support the devs for putting the love in this and hopefully if it makes enough money they'll make BGIII, 2. 25$ is pocket change compared to games like CoD:G that offer you 5hrs of SP and looks like it was also made 10 years ago, 3. extra contents that mods do notThis is the best game ever made and people complain about paying 25$. The enhancements are more than enough since 1. You should support the devs for putting the love in this and hopefully if it makes enough money they'll make BGIII, 2. 25$ is pocket change compared to games like CoD:G that offer you 5hrs of SP and looks like it was also made 10 years ago, 3. extra contents that mods do not have and 4. who wants to spent hours on end trying to get the game to actually work with mods?! this takes a few clicks, 10 mins of download and you can play! Expand
  14. Nov 18, 2013
    Once again I can't be more happy that my favorite game has been remastered. A huge improvement over the original and the redesigned multiplayer is a huge plus, and like the first re-release of Baldurs Gate I can't wait for it to be released on the iPad so I can multiplayer across systems. I will continue to play this reminiscing for hours. Thanks beam dog
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    This was my favorite game back when I was a young teenager and now it is becoming my favorite game of today. I would play it for hours and hours back in the day. I can happily say it's still the game I remember with the added benefit of having been modernized! The new UI is amazing, love the new characters/quests, and the quick loot button has made looting much more enjoyable. I can't waitThis was my favorite game back when I was a young teenager and now it is becoming my favorite game of today. I would play it for hours and hours back in the day. I can happily say it's still the game I remember with the added benefit of having been modernized! The new UI is amazing, love the new characters/quests, and the quick loot button has made looting much more enjoyable. I can't wait to really get back into this game so I can experience it all over again. Very excited! Expand
  16. Nov 18, 2013
    I don't get why someone who likes this game would proceed to give it a 0. "It's the greatest RPG ever made, but I give it a 0 herp derp" If you're so in love with the mods, then don't pay the measly $25 for this quality touch up. No one is holding a knife to your throat, and all you're doing is hiijacking other peoples fun...while you're at it, don't play baldur's gate 3 when/if it comesI don't get why someone who likes this game would proceed to give it a 0. "It's the greatest RPG ever made, but I give it a 0 herp derp" If you're so in love with the mods, then don't pay the measly $25 for this quality touch up. No one is holding a knife to your throat, and all you're doing is hiijacking other peoples fun...while you're at it, don't play baldur's gate 3 when/if it comes out off the back of the funds raised by these enhanced editions. Short sighted describes you perfectly.

As for people genuinely interested in the gameplay aspects, this game is the same game, just enhanced...funny that. Widescreen, UI freshen up, new NPCs and in game content. It's not breaking any boundaries, it does exactly what the title suggests, it enhances one of the greatest RPG's of all time. One of the founding fathers of the Infinity Engine era of RPG greats. If you're an old fan, get in on it! If you're new and have always wondered what the hype was about, get in on it!
  17. Nov 21, 2013
    Outstanding update to one of the best computer games of all time (and easily my favorite computer RPG).

The game runs very well haven't had any troubles at all after many hours of play. The new content is strong too definitely more polished and interesting than the new content in BG1:EE. There's been many cases where I've held up an old game in my head as wonderful and wished I

There's been many cases where I've held up an old game in my head as wonderful and wished I could replay it, but then when given the chance it doesn't quite live up to those expectations anymore. Definitely not the case with BG2:EE....I'm flat-out loving my return to that game.

As a Mac user, I obviously prefer the Beamdog conversion vs. getting it from GOG.com and having to run it through Parallels. For that reason as well as the new content, I think the $25 price tag is well justified. I honestly don't get why someone would rate the game a 0 because of that. If $25 is too much, don't buy it.

In short, if you loved BGII and have longed to play it again, this is a no-brainer....plus you get interesting new content.

Awesome job, Beamdog.
  18. Nov 20, 2013
    $25 for countless hours of quality entertainment...well worth it, especially considering that this is an enhancement of the best computer RPG ever made, and it plays excellent on a Mac! You can't even take your girlfriend to the movies for $25 these days, a measly 2 hours of entertainment. It takes all freakin' night just to finish 1 dungeon in this masterpiece. If you enjoy fantasy$25 for countless hours of quality entertainment...well worth it, especially considering that this is an enhancement of the best computer RPG ever made, and it plays excellent on a Mac! You can't even take your girlfriend to the movies for $25 these days, a measly 2 hours of entertainment. It takes all freakin' night just to finish 1 dungeon in this masterpiece. If you enjoy fantasy role playing games, this game is required playing! Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2013
    People who worried about the price, are you serious? BGII is the greatest RPG of all times. It's normal to pay few bucks for remastered version that perfectly works with new machines and looks great on HD screens.
    And now you talk about mods for original game... I don't have a time to deal with bunch of buggy mods that do "pretty much the same". I want just download and play.
    Enjoy

Enjoy this masterpiece. It's pitty but nowadays there are no games like BG.

PS. By the way, the steam price is only $15... and Christmas sale is coming
  20. Nov 20, 2013
    Baldur's Gate II was, in my opinion, the single best game of all time. The Enhanced Edition takes that game and makes it even better. Dorn, Neera, Rasaad and Hexxat are excellent NPC's with some very interesting and extensive new content.

The price is fair, the customer support is excellent and this development team has proven themselves worthy of making Baldur's Gate III, should they so choose.
  21. Nov 20, 2013
    The original was already my most favourite and by far most played game of all time but Overhaul completely blew my mind with the enhancements. They added way more new content than I expected with hours over hours of new gameplay, engaging new characters, hilarious new dialogues and simply beautiful new areas.
    Job very well done.
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    Great update to a phenomenal game. Extra characters/quests/items are nicely worked into existing game plot and a worthy addition. While the game is $25, it is worth every penny if it brings us that much closer to BG3.
  23. Nov 21, 2013
    Fantastic game and worth every penny. The UI, game resolution and spell effects have been vastly improved over the original, and the new expansion pack Black Pits 2 is an a thrill to play with many difficult battles.
  24. Nov 21, 2013
    One of the best RPGs of all time got even better through lots of new features and the best is, that it will be even further enhanced and supported in the future, too. There is but one score I can give.. a 10 for the game.. and it's community!
  25. Nov 21, 2013
    The vanilla game was fantastic, but the game engine is dated and very unappealing now.

Beamdog's done a great job in overhauling the game engine, stabilized it, made it more visually appealing and added a lot of new great content.

Worth every penny of the pricetag.
  26. Nov 21, 2013
    Visually it's not a large improvement outside of the natural benefits that come with higher resolution. it is nice that they added a zoom feature so that you can set the scale to whatever you are happy with at your monitor's resolution. It is easier to install plus saves and loads are much faster. The backgrounds have been re-mastered which adds a little bit of improvement to theVisually it's not a large improvement outside of the natural benefits that come with higher resolution. it is nice that they added a zoom feature so that you can set the scale to whatever you are happy with at your monitor's resolution. It is easier to install plus saves and loads are much faster. The backgrounds have been re-mastered which adds a little bit of improvement to the overall color of the image. The sprites have not been reworked I think one of the reviews I read had that backwards.

Overall it looks a little better but it is nice because it works without any hassle and you don't have to mod the game to get it to support your setup.

They have also added an expansion pack worth of new characters, items, and areas to explore (30+ new areas).

Personally I am really happy to see this game get new content 15 years after it's release. The content is up to the same standards as the original game and some of the characters they have added are more developed then the originals.

Text is easier to read, small bugs that were never fixed are patched up now. Over all it's not a huge improvement but it is a noticeably better experience and the extra content and support with possible future DLC options makes me give this a high score. I won't be going back to the original that is for sure.
  27. Nov 22, 2013
    I played this game back in my college days and had pretty much forgotten about it until I heard the enhanced editions of BGI and II and was thrilled to hear about them being on the ipad, but keeping in mind this is the PC review.

I am having a blast playing this game again. It may be debatable if it is the greatest RPG ever, but it is in my mind. I feel the price is great, when I saw the game was out not once did I think “Wow, I am not paying that much!” I would have liked to see more refined enhancement in a few places, but it’s still a must buy for any RPG lover and a wonderful improvement.

I echo another reviewer that talked about the diehard fans that have been playing to this day with all sorts of mods and are upset by the price If you are that hardcore about the game with mods then skip it, but the cost is cheap for those of us that don’t want to mod the game and the hundreds of hours one could spend playing– and beamdog’s great forums takes input on what changes and patches people would like to see. That makes the game price seem like a real bargain to me!!!!
  28. Nov 24, 2013
    -New, beautifully stylized UI
    -Amazing Dorn quest line
    -Stunningly beautiful new areas -Improvements on the spell effects -Tons of new content Actually, there are lots of pros in this one, especially compared with the first release. This game deserves all the money i've spent on it. Normally i would give it a 9 because of certain small bugs, but after considering the fact that it
    -New, beautifully stylized UI
    -Amazing Dorn quest line
    -Stunningly beautiful new areas
    -Improvements on the spell effects
    -Tons of new content

Normally i would give it a 9 because of certain small bugs, but after considering the fact that it revives one of the best game of all times in a succesfull way, i give it a 10.
  29. Dec 3, 2013
    Just the idea of bringing the Bhaalspawn saga back to life should award these folks a top-notch rating... and being able to play it on any platform (well, almost, but we'll get there) without any effort is alone worth the price!
  30. Dec 9, 2013
    Best RPG ever! no debates, no arguments.. I loved the game when I was in college, I loved the game when I was at the university and it can be argued that my poor grades was in no small part due to my love of this RPG.. I've played good guy, bad guy, ranger, cleric, mage and ofcourse the ever present thief..

Never was I bored, never disappointed.. As to the storyline itself beamdog

Never was I bored, never disappointed..

As to the storyline itself beamdog haven't changed it (thank god).. There are those who argue that the game should be cheaper, but considering the amount of replayability there are in this game it shouldn't be the price that holds u back. Buy it, enjoy it, love it.. But I quote the original game developers "don't forget to eat, we don't want to lose any dedicated players"

1. Feb 14, 2014
    It's a great chance for all the fans out there to relive history of western RPG. Enhanced graphics and interface make this a great remaster of an immortal classic.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    There’s no doubt that Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is a product of its time, but there’s also no doubt that it’s an absolute classic of the RPG genre.
  3. PC Gamer
    Jan 31, 2014
    Doesn't do enough to be the uncontested definitive version, but provides a fresh perspective on an exceptional RPG. [March 2014, p.72]