Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn PC

9.2

1. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    Favourite RPG, especially with all the mods out there nowadays. The only thing I don't like about is that even though you get to choose the alignment for your PC, you're forced to play the good guy all the time since it's more rewarding and also it makes more sense storyline wise. So it's kind of hard to really build up a personality for your characters, which Favourite RPG, especially with all the mods out there nowadays. The only thing I don't like about is that even though you get to choose the alignment for your PC, you're forced to play the good guy all the time since it's more rewarding and also it makes more sense storyline wise. So it's kind of hard to really build up a personality for your characters, which distracts from the overall enjoyable game. Expand
  2. AndyC.
    Aug 9, 2006
    The best game I have ever played. It turned me into a drooling BioWare fanboy.
  3. LukeT.
    Dec 30, 2001
    The problem with tabletop RPGs is all the dice rolling. The problem with Computer RPGs is that they aren't as flexible as a human GM, and so story paths are relatively inflexible. BG2 Has so much divergence, that problem has now been addressed. Problems-- unstable in the Mac version, though I guess mac owners should be happy to see it at all :) Astonishingly complex, and very The problem with tabletop RPGs is all the dice rolling. The problem with Computer RPGs is that they aren't as flexible as a human GM, and so story paths are relatively inflexible. BG2 Has so much divergence, that problem has now been addressed. Problems-- unstable in the Mac version, though I guess mac owners should be happy to see it at all :) Astonishingly complex, and very immersive... Extremely good overall, I'd like to see Fallout 3 done in the Infinity Engine :) Expand
  4. TC
    Apr 8, 2002
    There's a learning curve in there, although you can just pick up and play. Once you get to grips with spellcasting, and understand combat effects better - then you're completely hooked. The game is brilliant. I can't give it 10, because nothing is ever perfect. But this is close, real close.
  5. JoshA.
    Mar 18, 2003
    From the epic storyline to the superb graphics and environments to the flawless and never-gets-old battle system, this game is one of the greatest role-playing games ever made. It will make you want to take up D&D just to be a part of the world of Faerun!
  6. OK
    Apr 20, 2003
    Quite simply, the greatest game I've ever played.
  7. TimothyW.
    May 27, 2004
    When i got the game shortly after its release, I swear i heard a choir of angels. This is easily one of the best CRPGs ever made. Not the best, but it comes darn close.
  8. KarlG.
    Jun 15, 2008
    The best RPG ever, and quite possibly the greatest game ever made. Rather than a 'game' it's an experience that will suck you in and change your perception of gaming forever. I guarantee it will become the standard you judge other games by.
  9. MichalK
    Oct 14, 2009
    Even now, after nine years, there is no hardcore RPG game that will be better, or only equal to this little diamond... Best RPG ever.... And even one of the best games ever made...
  10. dd
    Feb 10, 2009
    Every now and then i feel the urge to replay the whole baldur's gate story. every now and then i feel how much work and how much time that game needed to be build. every now and then i feel the masses of detail and art within this game. every now and then i feel ... minsc should STFU! but still i like him. reminds me of giving him that sword with verbal diarrhoea.
  11. ChrisL.
    Jun 10, 2002
    This game is by far the best I have ever played. There is so much you can do in it that you can literally play it for hours and hours. The best!
  12. GunhanK.
    Aug 1, 2002
    Quite possibly the most immersive and fun RPG I have ever played to date. Well-balanced, entertaining, challenging enough, looks good, has nice music... What more can one ask for?
  13. ChristopherH.
    Oct 1, 2003
    It's great!
  14. EmanuelS.
    Aug 15, 2004
    This game has only two very small problems with it: 1. The portraits suck 2. You get some warning messages far to much. Besides that it is everything you need from a game! It is AWESOME!!!!
  15. MinscB.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Maybe the best RPG I've ever played. This is coming from a guy having never heard of the series then poped it in and then played it. Of course by doing that I was saying good bye to a good 2 months of my life.
  16. AndrewB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    This game has and still is the best game i have played.
  17. NikosP.
    Feb 17, 2006
    The RPG that elevated an astounding title (Baldur's Gate) to the level of perfection is undoubtedly one of the most significant computer games of all time. No true RPG fan can call himself that without having played this game.
  18. SamuelP.
    Dec 21, 2007
    BG2 takes away your breath, your time, your conceptions of a good RPG, and last but not least, your life. Its 2008 and I still play this game once or twice a year, and its completely new everytime...the magic just never dies. The graphics are pure ART, the soundtrack could come from a Peter Jackson movie, the gameplay is perfectly adjusted, the challenge is up to you, but it is always a BG2 takes away your breath, your time, your conceptions of a good RPG, and last but not least, your life. Its 2008 and I still play this game once or twice a year, and its completely new everytime...the magic just never dies. The graphics are pure ART, the soundtrack could come from a Peter Jackson movie, the gameplay is perfectly adjusted, the challenge is up to you, but it is always a tough battle throught it. Try doing the firts BG, then importing your poweful character in BG2, then, as it wasn't already enough, go throught the Throne Of Bhaal expansion pack for BG2. You'll probably need some protection for your balls, though. Expand
  19. Thullraven
    Jan 28, 2007
    I have been playing RPG's forever. Have all the DND CRPG's. This is the best by far. Even new releases can't compare depth wise, NWN2 comes to mind. Anyone rating this low is doing so just to be different.
  20. A.K.
    Mar 11, 2007
    After seven years after its release, I still play this game compulsively. A compelling plot, a huge, extremely well detailed and varied gameworld, amazing tactical depth, non-linear structure, great freedom of action and a stunning attention for particulars make Baldur's Gate 2 skyrocket to the Olympus of videogames: the best CRPG to this day.
  21. OleH.V.
    Apr 11, 2007
    At this point, there have been no better RPG games released.
  22. Jarno
    Jul 15, 2007
    Quite simple the best RPG I've played in 20+ years of gaming. Immersive storyline, looooong game play, exceptional writing, and a still active community (7 years after the game's release) creating mods and populating the official forums for the game. That must tell you something. Of course BGII can't match up in graphics to modern games, but in pure gamplay, it beats them all.
  23. JamesF.
    Jul 31, 2007
    Just superb, even today in 2007 it still holds it own in the sheer game play stakes, and by far the best RPG I have ever played. Makes you wonder what the games developers of new RPGs have been doing for the last seven years really. If you didn't get this the first time around, go get it! It doesn't cost much and will last you years (as long as you don
  24. PhilipD.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Oh. I really am annoyed about this. I bought it with intentions of getting sucked into the game like money into a vacuum cleaner but it just didn't work. Time and time again I have come back to this game, spending hours playing it and trying to get into the story. I can see why people like this game so much- once you get past the shell of this game I'm sure there are emotional Oh. I really am annoyed about this. I bought it with intentions of getting sucked into the game like money into a vacuum cleaner but it just didn't work. Time and time again I have come back to this game, spending hours playing it and trying to get into the story. I can see why people like this game so much- once you get past the shell of this game I'm sure there are emotional plot twists, epic fights and pants of +3 healing... but what a shell to crack. I mean, I keep playing this game, sitting down for several hours, failing at enjoying it then going off for a stab at Oblivion or Deus Ex instead. Don't get me wrong- I do try. I spent £20 on this game, after all. I have a horribly powerful urge to play this game every couple of months (much as I do with the Sims) but once it's loaded up, I look at its pixelated graphics and sheer... dullness and give in. I'm going to say LOOK OUT. If you don't mind spending a whole day or so getting into it I'm sure there's a fantastic game underneath. However, if you're anything like me you'd be better off with a game which pays off sooner. A game like Baldurs Gate is missing from my life but at the end of the day, it isn't meant to be. Great music, though. Expand
  25. Simon
    Mar 30, 2008
    If you haven't played it, you should. The best in RPG.
  26. TomA.
    Apr 21, 2008
    This Is A Fabulous Role playing game, I love everything about it. And The Humor and story. It was one of my first crpg's and I love it to this day.
  27. JohnR
    May 6, 2008
    Along with BG1 and Planescape : Torment the best cRPG of all time. My only criticisms are that : Bioware/Black Isle decided to dispense with the wilderness (i.e. non-essential, connecting) areas that were present in BG1 ; and I reckon BG2 could have done with perhaps five more playable NPCs. But everything else about the game is as good as and quite often better than the original, which Along with BG1 and Planescape : Torment the best cRPG of all time. My only criticisms are that : Bioware/Black Isle decided to dispense with the wilderness (i.e. non-essential, connecting) areas that were present in BG1 ; and I reckon BG2 could have done with perhaps five more playable NPCs. But everything else about the game is as good as and quite often better than the original, which was already easily the best cRPG of all time. The level of imagination, the quality of writing, the inexhaustibly involving tactical combat, the incredibly human characterization, the moments of sublime drama, great humour and of almost religious awe (e.g. when entering the Watcher's Keep area ) - make this ,along with BG1 and P:Torment, to computer games what The Iliad and The Odyssey will forever be to poetry. I will vow always to keep a machine to play these games on and they MUST be kept compatible with all future hardware to come. Expand
  28. Mr.K.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Too bad they don't make games like this anymore. I already signed off Fallout 3.
  29. EdS.
    Aug 23, 2001
    Quite easily the greatest game ever.
    Oct 1, 2002
    THE DWARF! is possibly the coolest looking character (and my favorite). Not only the dwarf but the halfling, and elf. The Half-orc is a nice feature as well as the prestiege classes. I love how they kept the d20 system and I have never beaten the game. I think just making a new character is fun enough that I don't want my characters adventure to end.
  31. Theonewithpants
    Dec 9, 2002
    Argh, i really couldn't get into this game. bad visuals, bad sound, voice acting very bad, side quests suck the fat one, overall overhyped.
  32. PubaH.
    Feb 24, 2002
    Greatest Game ever.
  33. MikeW.
    Mar 26, 2002
    This game rocks, it is just a bit confusing to get used to. I havn't played this game for that long, and I am confused as hell, and I am just starting to get used to it.
  34. AlexG.
    Jun 23, 2002
    A totally new experience! Most games I have played revolved around one simple plot, unlike BG and BG2 which kept me always doing something new.
  35. RobertC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    I've been playing RPGs eversince NES's Zelda, and this is the best game ever. I know that no reviews can be completely objective, but no other game I know is as fun, intricate, beautiful and once again fun as Baldur's Gate 2. Play it!
  36. TimS.
    Mar 20, 2003
    Wow! This is a fantastic rpg! D&D has never been so fun! Throne of Bhaal add-on is just as good!
  37. ChrisB.
    Aug 30, 2003
    Great graphics and very good backround sounds. Note: If you liked this one try the expansion.
  38. FrancoP.
    Sep 10, 2003
    This game is very good, i like it. I don't now english very well, I'm from argentina.
  39. AlexL.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Quite easily the most entertaining RPG I have ever played. This game comes with a boatload of side quests and an entertaining main storyline, and will take a while to beat. There are also some fantastic mods to download.
  40. DaveG.
    Jan 23, 2005
    This game ia great there always something to do.
  41. ChristophB.
    Aug 18, 2005
    The most extraordinary, utterly brilliant game that I have ever, and are ever likely, to play. Timeless.
  42. FelipeP.
    Sep 15, 2005
    One of the best RPGs of all time, incredible storyline and amazing gamplay.. although the graphics are soewhat outdated. Quality in the line of fallout games.
  43. PRF
    Sep 29, 2005
    300 Hrs of questing this is hte best rpg I have encoutered. Pros the amount of quests and the things you can do. Cons It can take an age to get from a to b and combat can be messy.
  44. StuartX.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Absolutely the greatest RPG ever made. Beautiful graphics, excellent story, strategic gameplay, deep character development and a brilliant story. Play it!
  45. BoH.
    Jul 13, 2006
    I still play this game. It is still the best game with the best feeling and addiction level. No other RPG game has com close to matching it. "Hamsters and rangers everywhere - REJOICE!"
  46. J.B.
    Aug 11, 2006
    The greatest D&D RPG ever and possibly the greatest CRPG. Combines action with an incredible storyline, great voice acting (mostly), intriguing character interactions, great sound and music, replayability and perfect gameplay. Even after years of play I still run across things I missed the first time through. Incredible game.
  47. Blob
    Nov 14, 2007
    This is simply the best cRPG ever. And I doubt my opinion will ever change. Stunning graphics, NPC interactions, music, game play, story telling... what could you want more from RPG?
  48. AlexC.
    Nov 2, 2007
    I have played the game at least 20 times since I got it (7 years ago) and yet I still want to play it again... it is a rare gem.
  49. BartlomiejM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Game is too long and it's too complicaed. Too few areas. BG and IWD wrere beter.
  50. ChadR.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This is and probably will always be the best pg game ever. No other RPG i played since has captured my attention and made me want to keep playing longer. Neverwinter nights is newer and Balgurs Gate 2 totally makes NWN look like a pile of hot dogcrap. My advice to anyone who is trying to get into D&D or RPG's this is the best title you can possibly find. There are always a few on This is and probably will always be the best pg game ever. No other RPG i played since has captured my attention and made me want to keep playing longer. Neverwinter nights is newer and Balgurs Gate 2 totally makes NWN look like a pile of hot dogcrap. My advice to anyone who is trying to get into D&D or RPG's this is the best title you can possibly find. There are always a few on Ebay and if its under 50.00 grab it as fast as you can bcause yu got a deal. Expand
  51. MattD.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Even now, years later, there's nothing else that comes close.
  52. JoeB.
    Oct 24, 2007
    More earth shattering than ground breaking, this game set the standard for storyline and character development. Seven years later, the bastard son of the god of murder still reigns as the deity of great gaming.
  53. JonasM.
    Oct 29, 2007
    The deepest CRPG to date, even 7 years after its release.
  54. GeorgeL.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Amazing... The best RPG in terms of character interaction, gameplay, replayability, and spell repertoire. Only slightly behind the immortals FFVI and Chrono Trigger in terms of story. The voice acting, while not the greatest, still holds its own. The graphics are, as with all games, the only point of Baldur's Gate II that will get worse with age. Anyone who hasn't played this Amazing... The best RPG in terms of character interaction, gameplay, replayability, and spell repertoire. Only slightly behind the immortals FFVI and Chrono Trigger in terms of story. The voice acting, while not the greatest, still holds its own. The graphics are, as with all games, the only point of Baldur's Gate II that will get worse with age. Anyone who hasn't played this and enjoys RPG's... Get it. Now. BGII is the greatest single-player RPG on the PC. Neverwinter Nights 1/2 are wonderful for their easy ability to be modded and their mulitplayer, but as far as single-player goes, NWN and NWN2 both fall short of the compelling story and gameplay of the Baldur's Gate series. Any fans of the NWN 1/2 single-player game who haven't played Baldur's Gate II, go buy it now. Now. Do it. Seriously, do it. Don't fear the outdated graphics... Play this game now. Expand
  55. Jesper
    Oct 7, 2008
    Definitely the best game ever, there is no rpg like it, there is no game like it at all i have ever played after...but i hope there will be.
  56. Nova
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not as good character development as BG but so diverse - have layed through well over 100 times with different character combinations. Downloadable Baldur's Gate TuTu allows BG1 to be played using BG2 game engine so can create amazing characters to play right through, no need to change any weapon proficiencies etc
  57. MareusK.
    Mar 23, 2008
    This is how a game should be made. THE BEST game ever, no doubt! I dont even want to get into the details, just play it and you wont regret it. I promise!
  58. SniperZ.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Not to sound too over the top but Baldur's Gate II : Shadows of Amn may possibly be the greatest RPG ever made, combining excellent graphics, gameplay, narrative, story and a living, breathing environment populated by some of the most weird and wonderful characters you'll ever see in a video game, this game will take you on an amazing adventure and you owe it to yourself to own Not to sound too over the top but Baldur's Gate II : Shadows of Amn may possibly be the greatest RPG ever made, combining excellent graphics, gameplay, narrative, story and a living, breathing environment populated by some of the most weird and wonderful characters you'll ever see in a video game, this game will take you on an amazing adventure and you owe it to yourself to own this game. Put simply; if you don't like this game you either down like RPG's or you are an idiot. Expand
  59. BillDoor
    Apr 11, 2008
    The only reason this game is not a 10? A few bugs that caused me to re-load old saves and re-do some tough spots. The patches MOSTLY cleared things up, but a few broken plot lines and a vanishing item glitch caused much undo frustration. All fixed with a re-load but irritating none the less. In the year 2008, I still play this game often.
  60. OmbarK.
    May 11, 2008
    Along with it's prequel, Baldur's Gate, this has to be the best RPG based on the D&D system ever made. To all RPG fans, if you haven't played this one, you're really missing the best one.
  61. DomC
    Jun 24, 2008
    Great game, if you like D&D then you cannot go wrong. Shame some trolls had to spoil this games reviews, great artwork, characters and voice work even to this day. Games industry needs more 2D games.
  62. JonathanN
    Jul 17, 2008
    BG2 has not equal .
  63. AlexM
    Oct 2, 2009
    Simply awful game compare to Neverwinter Nights , TES Morrowind , Diablo , Diablo 2 and other brilliants of RPG gengre.
  64. SS
    Oct 28, 2009
    Quite simply the best classic heroic-fantasy RPG ever made.
  65. SD
    Aug 31, 2009
    They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity. Everything came together in this game in a way that has never been achieved again. Balance was just right, gameplay was fun without being excessively repetitive, plot was interesting, world was expansive, mechanics were sound. But all that does not really get to the essence of what it is: an alternative world They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity. Everything came together in this game in a way that has never been achieved again. Balance was just right, gameplay was fun without being excessively repetitive, plot was interesting, world was expansive, mechanics were sound. But all that does not really get to the essence of what it is: an alternative world experience that is totally immersive. Hardened gamers on forums reported that they literally cried at the end of this, as they would at the end of a great novel or a great movie. This had real characters doing epic things. It's not quite The Lord of the Rings, but in terms of epic scale, feel, emotion, heroism, and all out escapist joy, it's the closest thing PC gaming has ever produced. It may be ten years old now, but it's still peerless. Expand
  66. DrewC.
    Apr 24, 2002
    Quite easily the BEST game in the history of the world! With amazing graphics and great gameplay this is the greatest game ever.
  67. Error303
    Mar 15, 2003
    One of the greatest RPGs for computers (with Fallout 1/2). An absolute classic.
  68. JohnR.
    Jul 22, 2003
    The best computer game I have ever played. Everything about it is perfect. You can't ask for more in a game: the music is beautiful and appropriate, the story is enthralling, the writing is clever and interesting, the gameplay is fantastic ... I would recommend this game to strangers on the street. If you don't have it yet, BUY IT.
  69. TelyS.
    Aug 24, 2005
    Be prepared to walk. And walk and walk and walk. While the voice acting is of fine quality, that doesn't make it any less annoying, especially Minsc...
  70. ArturoV.
    Mar 11, 2006
    This is my second favourite RPG of all time. The story line is great and really pulls you into the game.
  71. BillG.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Fantastic rpg. Highly recommended.
  72. K.E.
    Aug 26, 2006
    How does a game deserve a 10? By being one of the best games I've ever played over the last 25years+ Watch out this could ruin your social life and your girlfriend must be very undrestanding.
  73. SHODAN
    Nov 10, 2007
    Complex villain with believable motivations. NPCs with personality and backstories. Solid and lengthy well-written plot. Subtle, detailed world. Stellar art direction with appropriate and effective graphics. Beautiful score. Totally engaging.
  74. SamP.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Baldur's Gate 2 is undoubtedly the best cRPG of all time. Even after seven years of its release, it's still ahead of its time in terms of content, depth, dialogue, non-linearity and replay value. All in all, it's an epic masterpiece of absolute perfection. If you are into RPG's and have never played this game, get it. It'll be the best deal in your life.
  75. AleksiS.
    Jul 14, 2007
    Simply the best RPG ever.
  76. Lars
    Nov 6, 2008
    Still the best RPG i've ever played. Great story, very good music, interesting characters, romances and party banter, lovingly character portraits, beautiful graphic backdrops. The voice acting is brilliant - Jaheira with a slight touch of arrogance, an innocent Aerie, mad Minsc. It's an epic RPG that offers many, many hours of gameplay, but it's not an empty, dull world Still the best RPG i've ever played. Great story, very good music, interesting characters, romances and party banter, lovingly character portraits, beautiful graphic backdrops. The voice acting is brilliant - Jaheira with a slight touch of arrogance, an innocent Aerie, mad Minsc. It's an epic RPG that offers many, many hours of gameplay, but it's not an empty, dull world like Oblivion. Expand
  77. Kevin
    Apr 21, 2008
    In my opinion, the best RPG ever made. Terrific story, good combat, great NPCs... everything comes together so nicely.
  78. bigcheese
    Aug 21, 2008
    No RPG can ever beat this game. They can only equal it.
  79. BR
    Dec 27, 2009
    Baldur's Gate 2 represents the greatest human achievement in the field of CRPGS. Additionally, it is probably one of the best games of any genre ever made. This game must be rated a 10 due to the fact that it will very likely be studied by scholars years from now.
  80. NathanW
    Jul 16, 2009
    There's a special place in a gamer's heart for his first RPG. What surprises me is how much I adore this game more than the original, which was my first real rpg immersion. Everything was better, deeper, richer, and more exciting. I have never played a more realized and wonderful fantasy world, and never regret the near hundred hours I poured into this game. Is it supremely There's a special place in a gamer's heart for his first RPG. What surprises me is how much I adore this game more than the original, which was my first real rpg immersion. Everything was better, deeper, richer, and more exciting. I have never played a more realized and wonderful fantasy world, and never regret the near hundred hours I poured into this game. Is it supremely complicated and difficult to learn? Of course it is, and all the benefit of those who want to learn and live. Expand
  81. OnurC
    Sep 13, 2009
    Simply the best game I have ever played. An epic adventure which any other game could not offer and I do not think they will do so. I have been playing variety genres of computer games for nearly 20 years and I did not played a game more than once but this. I completed this game four times and after all that I never got tired of it.
  82. WillD.
    Dec 29, 2001
    Quite easily, the worst game ever.
  83. Aug 27, 2010
    The first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almostThe first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almost every way. "Minsc and Boo stand ready. Meep-eep-eep" Expand
  84. Apr 10, 2011
    In short: the best game ever made. I played this when it was released and was amazed of all the detail, soul and love put into it.If you haven't played this then do it! It still feels as freshed as it was when it was released. I'm so sad BioWare has gone a totally different way and started making games such as Dragon Age II. I will quote another review:
    Often imitated, never duplicated: BGII.
  85. Feb 17, 2011
    One of the best games every made. Not many RPG's have gotten anywhere near this level. Great characters a good plot and an enormous amount of side quests.
  86. Nov 19, 2010
    I have never played a game that can recreate my expectations of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign better. The detailed effort that went into the design of the game, as well as BioWare's well-written storyline, help to create a decidedly epic experience. Firing off spells, charging in with tower-shields, the learning curve broadly slopes as you progress through the tutorial and you're metI have never played a game that can recreate my expectations of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign better. The detailed effort that went into the design of the game, as well as BioWare's well-written storyline, help to create a decidedly epic experience. Firing off spells, charging in with tower-shields, the learning curve broadly slopes as you progress through the tutorial and you're met with your first worldly challenges.

The choices that you make, as most Bioware games will teach you, do effect your journey. Though no matter the choice you'll always find yourself with battles to fight and dungeons to delve. In regard to the user interface of the game itself, the seemingly complex can often be learned and utilized to carry out a number of different actions. A broad array of abilities which will help you to react to the diverse, often difficult campaign. If you're creative and *do* manage to master the interface, you'll find that Baldur's Gate II: Shadow's of Amn isn't as difficult as your friends may say.
  87. Dec 26, 2010
    Still the best rpg ever made. The graphics are old enough to where they're not immersion-breaking or sitting in the uncanny valley like Neverwinter Nights, and even with AD&D being pretty bad the game itself still gets there. You're never going to get anything better since Bioware wants to remove isometric view from Dragon Age 2 as it is and it seems like everything else just wants to beStill the best rpg ever made. The graphics are old enough to where they're not immersion-breaking or sitting in the uncanny valley like Neverwinter Nights, and even with AD&D being pretty bad the game itself still gets there. You're never going to get anything better since Bioware wants to remove isometric view from Dragon Age 2 as it is and it seems like everything else just wants to be an mmo these days. Expand
  88. Nov 3, 2011
    I still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game hasI still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game has excellent pacing and provides enough challenge. Game experience will be different with different party members, as all playable NPCs come with distinctive banter, side quests, and classes/abilities. Also The game packs all the stuff an RPGer would love: endless quests, believable characters, deep customization, various fighting styles, tons of unique treasures, enthralling main storyline, and lots of explorations. Pick any aspect of the game and it would be greater compare to other RPGs out there. If you are an RPG fan who has not played this, buy this game on gog and play it now. Expand
  89. Oct 14, 2011
    An immensely satisfied RPG experience, although it's slow to begin with. Its graphics are outdated today, but the gameplay, character development, and story is still top-notch in comparison to any game out there. I won't go so far as to say it's the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely up there with the best.

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get into it, I just felt rather bored at the beginning. But once the story really starts flowing it draws you in and you can't stop until you finish it.
  90. Aug 17, 2011
    10 for story. 10 for replayabilty. 10 for combat. 10 for characters. 10 for graphics at the time of release. 10 for entertainment. 10 for addictiveness. 10 for timelessness. 10 for the modding community. Nothing but nothing is in this game's league and I suspect people will be saying the same thing after another 10 years.
  91. Mar 10, 2011
    This is the best RPG, in my opinion. Great plot, excellent characters and very interesting gameplay. Just play it and you'll see for yourself. Unfortunately, right now Bioware is unable make something like it. We can say thanks to EA.
  92. Feb 17, 2012
    After playing this game on and off for over 10 years, I still can't think of a single bad thing about it. I still have yet to play a better game. The style over substance, gimmicks, and lowest common denominator boys should look and study where this game was coming from. They may make something half decent then. Games that you go back to again and again are very few and far between theseAfter playing this game on and off for over 10 years, I still can't think of a single bad thing about it. I still have yet to play a better game. The style over substance, gimmicks, and lowest common denominator boys should look and study where this game was coming from. They may make something half decent then. Games that you go back to again and again are very few and far between these days and most new games are about as durable as tissue paper. This game is till standing and will continue to do so for a while yet. Unbelievably good and the easiest 10 I'll probably ever give. Absolutely unmissable. Expand
  93. Mar 21, 2012
    A rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how goodA rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how good the whole thing is. The individual parts are perfect and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Just play it. As a mage. Then try a kensai. Then a swashbuckler. Then a cleric. Then a blade. Then a fighter/thief........This is the last word in RPGing. By a mile. Expand
  94. Mar 14, 2011
    This is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatasticThis is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatastic creatures, villains and monsters you face feels epic and massively rewarding and so do the many conversations you have and puzzles you solve. The music and artwork are fantastic. The graphics are dated by todays standards of course but I would still reccommend playing this to anyone with any interest in role playing games. 10/10 - the game to which future RPGs should aspire to be as good as. Expand
  95. Mar 14, 2011
    Quite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todaysQuite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todays standards) steep learning curve, hard to use interface and unforgiving nature will become one of the best games you've ever played. Expand
  96. Jun 14, 2012
    This review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day theThis review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day the beautiful hand-drawn backdrops and masterful voice acting are in a league of their own, the combat is a D&D player's dream and the storytelling only ever rivaled once (not surprisingly by another Bioware title, Planescape: Torment). There is literally nothing even slightly below perfect that can be said about BG2. You can pick it up right now at http://www.gog.com, it's fully supported and priced at one tenth of it's real value. This is the pinnacle of Bioware's creativity. Its not A classic, rather THE classic. Expand
  97. Mar 25, 2011
    the best RPG ever created yet. Fantastic Story, Fantastic Gameplay, and by far the best thing that happened to RPG gaming yet! In fact the only reason why this game could be disliked is that it is so good that to some people it is incomprehensible.
  98. Feb 12, 2012
    No game since has given me the experience of BG II. That might be nostalgia talking, but this game, while definitely dated by today's standards, is one of my all time favorites.
  99. Mar 18, 2011
    In gaming, like with movies, it's a rare thing when the sequel is as good as the original. There's a case to be made that this is a better /game/ than the original because of the introduction of romances. But at least for me the story just wasn't as compelling. It's difficult because the original Baldur's Gate changed everything I thought I understood about how RPG's were supposed play;In gaming, like with movies, it's a rare thing when the sequel is as good as the original. There's a case to be made that this is a better /game/ than the original because of the introduction of romances. But at least for me the story just wasn't as compelling. It's difficult because the original Baldur's Gate changed everything I thought I understood about how RPG's were supposed play; it's one of the very few games I can truly say that "blew my mind" when it first came out. This is every bit the worthy successor. I'd certainly say that the two games combined are the best single RPG package one can get, even after all these years. Expand
  100. Mar 1, 2012
    I mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highlyI mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highly regarded stories since. This game is a gem. A true gem. When it comes to this game vs planescape torment - however. Things get tricky. As a game - BGII is the winner. As a creation - Planescape torment holds all the ambition. Both tell grand stories. They just have different strengths. Collapse
  101. Mar 1, 2012

1. Antagonist
    I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
  3. GamePower
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.