9.3

1. Mar 14, 2011
    Quite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todaysQuite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todays standards) steep learning curve, hard to use interface and unforgiving nature will become one of the best games you've ever played. Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    The first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almostThe first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almost every way. "Minsc and Boo stand ready. Meep-eep-eep" Expand
  3. Feb 17, 2011
    One of the best games every made. Not many RPG's have gotten anywhere near this level. Great characters a good plot and an enormous amount of side quests.
  4. Aug 17, 2011
    10 for story. 10 for replayabilty. 10 for combat. 10 for characters. 10 for graphics at the time of release. 10 for entertainment. 10 for addictiveness. 10 for timelessness. 10 for the modding community. Nothing but nothing is in this game's league and I suspect people will be saying the same thing after another 10 years.
  5. PhilipD.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Oh. I really am annoyed about this. I bought it with intentions of getting sucked into the game like money into a vacuum cleaner but it just didn't work. Time and time again I have come back to this game, spending hours playing it and trying to get into the story. I can see why people like this game so much- once you get past the shell of this game I'm sure there are emotional Oh. I really am annoyed about this. I bought it with intentions of getting sucked into the game like money into a vacuum cleaner but it just didn't work. Time and time again I have come back to this game, spending hours playing it and trying to get into the story. I can see why people like this game so much- once you get past the shell of this game I'm sure there are emotional plot twists, epic fights and pants of +3 healing... but what a shell to crack. I mean, I keep playing this game, sitting down for several hours, failing at enjoying it then going off for a stab at Oblivion or Deus Ex instead. Don't get me wrong- I do try. I spent £20 on this game, after all. I have a horribly powerful urge to play this game every couple of months (much as I do with the Sims) but once it's loaded up, I look at its pixelated graphics and sheer... dullness and give in. I'm going to say LOOK OUT. If you don't mind spending a whole day or so getting into it I'm sure there's a fantastic game underneath. However, if you're anything like me you'd be better off with a game which pays off sooner. A game like Baldurs Gate is missing from my life but at the end of the day, it isn't meant to be. Great music, though. Expand
  6. May 24, 2011
    This is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game drawsThis is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game draws you into. You will get attached to some of the characters, you will go over your spellbook and want to try new combinations of the hundreds of spells with unique effects, and you'll be surprised by huge dungeons that lay behind secret doors in the sewers that most players will probably miss. This game has not been rivaled before or since, and nobody can call themselves an RPG fan without playing and loving this masterpiece. It will always have a special place in my heart. If you haven't played it, DO IT! Play it like an RPG and enjoy it, because these days, games don't come close. Collapse
  7. Jul 31, 2011
    Simply beyond words as everything in this game was well-made. Every choice you make has a repercussion and the story never fails to tell. There are so many things to do in this game that it may overwhelm you when you first start but that is how adventures should feel right?
  8. Mar 15, 2012
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world. If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world.

If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as much money as possible.
  9. Apr 10, 2011
    In short: the best game ever made. I played this when it was released and was amazed of all the detail, soul and love put into it.If you haven't played this then do it! It still feels as freshed as it was when it was released. I'm so sad BioWare has gone a totally different way and started making games such as Dragon Age II. I will quote another review:
    Often imitated, never duplicated: BGII.
  10. Mar 21, 2012
    A rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how goodA rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how good the whole thing is. The individual parts are perfect and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Just play it. As a mage. Then try a kensai. Then a swashbuckler. Then a cleric. Then a blade. Then a fighter/thief........This is the last word in RPGing. By a mile. Expand
  11. Mar 14, 2011
    This is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatasticThis is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatastic creatures, villains and monsters you face feels epic and massively rewarding and so do the many conversations you have and puzzles you solve. The music and artwork are fantastic. The graphics are dated by todays standards of course but I would still reccommend playing this to anyone with any interest in role playing games. 10/10 - the game to which future RPGs should aspire to be as good as. Expand
  12. Mar 25, 2011
    the best RPG ever created yet. Fantastic Story, Fantastic Gameplay, and by far the best thing that happened to RPG gaming yet! In fact the only reason why this game could be disliked is that it is so good that to some people it is incomprehensible.
  13. Mar 1, 2012
    I mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highlyI mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highly regarded stories since. This game is a gem. A true gem. When it comes to this game vs planescape torment - however. Things get tricky. As a game - BGII is the winner. As a creation - Planescape torment holds all the ambition. Both tell grand stories. They just have different strengths. Expand
  14. Apr 4, 2011
    The best game made ever. Dated at this point, it has the most poignant story and character interaction of any game. Dragon Age pales in comparison to this epic. The Icewind dale series is a close 2nd in this genre
  15. Oct 16, 2011
    The most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The firstThe most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The first western RPG I've played, and it's still the best. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc, are all crap compared to Baldur's Gate 2. Expand
  16. Oct 17, 2011
    If only they would make 1 game like this per year, I would be a happy panda! It is so deep and epic that you can't really tell it, you have to show it to the others. I played if first when it was fresh new, and now more then 10 years later I still play it sometimes, and I guess it is going to be the same after another 10 years. It just became a part of my life, and that tells more than anything.
  17. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is perfection and shows just how RPG should be done - complex, with wonderful story and characters. None of present games of the genre can even compare to the old ones made by Interplay!
  18. Nov 3, 2011
    I still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game hasI still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game has excellent pacing and provides enough challenge. Game experience will be different with different party members, as all playable NPCs come with distinctive banter, side quests, and classes/abilities. Also The game packs all the stuff an RPGer would love: endless quests, believable characters, deep customization, various fighting styles, tons of unique treasures, enthralling main storyline, and lots of explorations. Pick any aspect of the game and it would be greater compare to other RPGs out there. If you are an RPG fan who has not played this, buy this game on gog and play it now. Expand
  19. Oct 14, 2011
    An immensely satisfied RPG experience, although it's slow to begin with. Its graphics are outdated today, but the gameplay, character development, and story is still top-notch in comparison to any game out there. I won't go so far as to say it's the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely up there with the best.

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get into it, I just felt rather bored at the beginning. But once the story really starts flowing it draws you in and you can't stop until you finish it.
  20. Mar 31, 2011
    Everything I always recall about BG2 is just: WOW! Definitely the best RPG made so far, and holding this candle up for more then 10 years by now. The story, the graphics, the party just sucks you into the game. Once you see the end screen, you really feel sad for parting with those memorable characters.
  21. Feb 12, 2012
    The best RPG ever, all hands down!! No other RPG even comes close in terms of combat mechanic and game story. Quests are amazingly designed and the game world is just unbelivably great. No other RPG gives you a sense of adventure in a way Baldurs Gate does. It is truly a grand adventure.
  22. May 26, 2012
    This game literally gives me an erection remembering all the great plot twists and amazing dialogue, coupled with perfect combat mechanisms with a very in-depth and well laid out magic scheme.
  23. Oct 1, 2011
    After all these years, still the single most excitingly written story line a game ever had. Credible heroes, credible villains, and quests and even sub-quests with exciting and often surprising tales to tell.
  24. Nov 2, 2011
    The best computer RPG ever! Mainly because of the atmosphere and storyline (NWN's mod-ability made it very close though). Based on AD&D 2nd edition.
  25. Dec 8, 2011
    One of the best RPGs of all time. Deep and entertaining. It's outdated now but if your a true RPG fan play this game. Good community and Mods available as well.
  26. Dec 20, 2011
    A masterpiece from an era where game developers still cared about quality. The main villain remains the greatest voice in gaming history. Excellent story with intelligent game play. One of the few games worthy of an actual 10. Highly recommended.
  27. Jan 2, 2012
    Still one of my favorite RPG's even with all the current offerings that are vastly superior in visuals. BGII brings exceptional storytelling and character development into a detailed and realized fantasy world with a great and engaging storyline. They just don't make games like this anymore.
  28. Feb 7, 2012
    BG2 is in my opinion the best role-playing game ever released and one of the top five games ever made for any platform, including pen and paper.
    Many more current RPGs seem to provide little more than a mass of randomly generated, pointless quests which affect the game world as much as a mosquito affects a jumbo jet. BG2 is one of the few games, along with Fallout 1&2 and Planescape:Torment, that really got this right.
    The plot's depth doesn't masterpiece level of Planescape, but the fun factor, for me at least, surpassed it.
    Note: Dragon Age: Origins is a similar game by the same team, so if you like this, you should try it as well. DA:O doesn't have the strategy or plot quality of BG2, but I think it actually surpasses BG2 in character development.
  29. Apr 20, 2012
    A masterpiece. Even though 12 years have passed since its first release, the game still attracts me like no other. The graphics seems immune to ageing, and the sound (both music and voice acting) are extremely suggestive, creating unique atmosphere. The plot maybe is not as complex as this of 'Planescape: Torment', but it's a decent piece of high fantasy. I sincerely recommend this one.
  30. May 4, 2012
    I loved ES: Skyrim, and i really enjoyed ES: Oblivion, I liked DA: Origins and I've played a multitude of the most popular MMORPG's like WoW, Rift, Swtor and GW. But all of those games still feel meek compared to the epicness of BG2. The first game in the series is amazing, and because it is the first, it's still closer to my heart, but all in all, BG2 is the best RPG i've ever playedI loved ES: Skyrim, and i really enjoyed ES: Oblivion, I liked DA: Origins and I've played a multitude of the most popular MMORPG's like WoW, Rift, Swtor and GW. But all of those games still feel meek compared to the epicness of BG2. The first game in the series is amazing, and because it is the first, it's still closer to my heart, but all in all, BG2 is the best RPG i've ever played through more than once (i've cleared it more than 4 times with different builds and choices in the romances and main quests) and still the only one i feel like i want to play more, experience more in, and find out even more about the characters in.
    The game can be hard and unforgiving, especially for a player of new-age RPG's, and that is part of it's charm. I still think the graphics are good and the gameplay never felt repetitive since i went through with different characters and party set-up each time.
    All in all, best RPG ever in my opinion, can't wait to see how the updated version will be.
  31. Jun 16, 2012
    Best RPG game ever. No need for too much explain. Epic story, epic combat as well as epic gears. The world is huge, there are so many places waiting you to explore. And there are so many quests, some of them are as long as a independent story, some of them are short but interesting. You can enjoy all kinds of RPG elements in this game, char building, story, squad members, combats puzzlesBest RPG game ever. No need for too much explain. Epic story, epic combat as well as epic gears. The world is huge, there are so many places waiting you to explore. And there are so many quests, some of them are as long as a independent story, some of them are short but interesting. You can enjoy all kinds of RPG elements in this game, char building, story, squad members, combats puzzles etc. People who can finish this game can understand how great it is. Expand
  32. Oct 12, 2012
    I love this game. I worship it. If ever there was a religion about BGII, I would be a fanatic! But beware, there is a huge huge flaw within.. It raised the standards so much for me back in early 00's, that I haven't been able to really play any other crpg after that. Maybe the first installment of Dragon Age had something of BG feeling, but every other crpg looks so shallow.

If there is

If there is any rpg lover left who hasn't played it, buy it, download the 2 most famous MODS (Shadows Over Soubar, and The Darkest Day), add them (they expand the game with tales from R.A.Salvatore's books, Drizzt D'Urden etc and double the size of it) and prepare to lose a couple of months of your life...
  33. Sep 16, 2013
    The only question one might have about Baldur's Gate II is whether it is the best RPG of all time, or whether that honor should go to Baldur's Gate I. Baldur's Gate II probably edges the first. BGII marks a high point in video game history, and modern games just don't have the same pizazz.
  34. Jun 14, 2012
    This review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day theThis review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day the beautiful hand-drawn backdrops and masterful voice acting are in a league of their own, the combat is a D&D player's dream and the storytelling only ever rivaled once (not surprisingly by another Bioware title, Planescape: Torment). There is literally nothing even slightly below perfect that can be said about BG2. You can pick it up right now at http://www.gog.com, it's fully supported and priced at one tenth of it's real value. This is the pinnacle of Bioware's creativity. Its not A classic, rather THE classic. Expand
  35. Jan 31, 2012
    I don't consider this to be the best game overall. It doesn't have the best graphics, quite good but not tremendus audio and I haven't followed the plot quite carefully. Nevertheless, it's the ONLY game so far that I've finished... three times in a row! And it's a RPG!

Yes, it's been a while ago and yes - there weren't so many games around but still. The level of depth that this game offers was unprecedented at that time. I could play a game over and over again taking different decisions, different companions and have a lot of fun doing it. The amount of possibilities seemed endless and I haven't spend half a year playing a single player game since.
  36. Oct 24, 2011
    If you have never played this game then you have done something wrong. Get this game, and get it yesterday. By todays standards it is not a beautiful game by any stretch, but I still enjoy the aesthetics and the hand-crafted feel to the 2D graphics (oh and the spell animations are gorgeous beyond belief if you ask me, it FEELS like your casting spells, not just waving your arms about likeIf you have never played this game then you have done something wrong. Get this game, and get it yesterday. By todays standards it is not a beautiful game by any stretch, but I still enjoy the aesthetics and the hand-crafted feel to the 2D graphics (oh and the spell animations are gorgeous beyond belief if you ask me, it FEELS like your casting spells, not just waving your arms about like a maniac), the soundscape of this game is amazing. For once a game that deserves the appelation of "best game, ever", I cannot even begin to try and describe how good this game is, except for tell you to get it. Everything about it is perfect in my mind. I want to give this 20/10, but I can't :( Expand
  37. Jan 9, 2012
    Awesome plot - lots of twists -, challenging puzzles, epic fights, very smart AI, highly customizable, in-depth NPC's, timed events, nice encounters with neutral and hostile, non linear history - everything you do has its consequences, to the point you can screw up even with the main quest w/o knowing. Best RPG of all time.
  38. Sep 27, 2012
    After all those years, I still remember the good moments from this game! It was a masterpiece of storytelling, and the engine was a great improvement over BG1. With captivating plot, interesting characters and overall feeling of epicness, this still is a masterpiece. Maybe it didn't age so well, but at its time it was on top of the RPG world and deserves its glory.
  39. Oct 10, 2013
    Simply the best game I have ever played, second to none. I can't possibly fault this game in any way, it is a masterpiece and will be hard to ever remove from its rightful place at the top of the plinth of PC rpgs.

All hail the magnificence of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
  40. Jul 15, 2012
    One of the greatest RPG's of all time, pure and simple. If you enjoy a well written story as opposed to flash Graphics then you still cant do much better than this game. Its characters are interesting and full of depth. If there was one thing baldurs gate lacked, it was depth of the characters. But by the end of playing, you feel very atatched to each and every one of them. Its gameOne of the greatest RPG's of all time, pure and simple. If you enjoy a well written story as opposed to flash Graphics then you still cant do much better than this game. Its characters are interesting and full of depth. If there was one thing baldurs gate lacked, it was depth of the characters. But by the end of playing, you feel very atatched to each and every one of them. Its game balance to perfection. Right from the off, you are pitched in to a fast paced and well driven story that ensares and encases you in its world. Its sheer brilliance from start to finish! Expand
  41. Apr 11, 2013
    Baldurs Gate: Perfection. In every way imaginable; i would never consider writing a review for a game, but the love and admiration towards the finest game of my generation deserves one. This game truly, has everything.

You really cannot find a negative, for what is now almost fifteen years later STILL considered the finest RPG to ever exist. The story, the characters, all become reality to you. An endless adventure with characters you feel afterwards had been life long friends, prepare to spend weeks sleepless, planning your next adventure.. Going on quest after quest trying to find the perfect six to complete the dreaded quests only you could conquer.

Play it properly, complete it. Side quests after side quest, explore every where there is to explore. Hundreds of hours gameplay, which never seems to bore.

Best RPG of all time? Obviously.

Greatest game of all time? Quite possibly..
  42. Apr 25, 2013
    This is the best RPG ever made, period. The quests, variety of play, romances, memorable characters and their interactions, strongholds, the ending epilogues depending on the choices you made during the course of the game and much more. The list of good points just goes on and on. Also, with certain mods, the game is even better. Not repetitive, lots of replay value. I have nothingThis is the best RPG ever made, period. The quests, variety of play, romances, memorable characters and their interactions, strongholds, the ending epilogues depending on the choices you made during the course of the game and much more. The list of good points just goes on and on. Also, with certain mods, the game is even better. Not repetitive, lots of replay value. I have nothing negative to say about this classic masterpiece. A must for any RPG fan. 10/10. Expand
  43. Sep 13, 2013
    There will never be a single player RPG this exceptional again.

It's absolutely perfect, and it pains me that the greatest RPG I will ever play in my life is behind me. Its strategic, the story is fantastic, the characters are marvelous, the game systems are stupendous, the quests are unbelievable, and I wish the Bioware that made this game still existed instead of the Bioware that
    There will never be a single player RPG this exceptional again.

Its strategic, the story is fantastic, the characters are marvelous, the game systems are stupendous, the quests are unbelievable, and I wish the Bioware that made this game still existed instead of the Bioware that makes passive entertainment.

If you're on the fence and you love RPGS, just but it. You will be so glad you did.
  44. A.K.
    Mar 11, 2007
    After seven years after its release, I still play this game compulsively. A compelling plot, a huge, extremely well detailed and varied gameworld, amazing tactical depth, non-linear structure, great freedom of action and a stunning attention for particulars make Baldur's Gate 2 skyrocket to the Olympus of videogames: the best CRPG to this day.
  45. TomA.
    Apr 21, 2008
    This Is A Fabulous Role playing game, I love everything about it. And The Humor and story. It was one of my first crpg's and I love it to this day.
  46. Feb 12, 2012
    No game since has given me the experience of BG II. That might be nostalgia talking, but this game, while definitely dated by today's standards, is one of my all time favorites.
  47. May 27, 2011
    Until the Witcher 2, this was the best RPG I've ever played. Stellar for its time, it is still as good today (though the graphics have aged). Its storyline is awesome as are the NPCs and the quests you will take. It has perhaps the best villain ever in Jon Irenicus. It is challenging, fun and immersive. In fact, it still has an active modding community TEN YEARS after release. ThatUntil the Witcher 2, this was the best RPG I've ever played. Stellar for its time, it is still as good today (though the graphics have aged). Its storyline is awesome as are the NPCs and the quests you will take. It has perhaps the best villain ever in Jon Irenicus. It is challenging, fun and immersive. In fact, it still has an active modding community TEN YEARS after release. That alone should tell you how phenemonal this game is. Expand
  48. Jun 24, 2011
    This is the quintessential story-based RPG! It's a shame it's a sequel, with a storyline focused on the villain of the piece (Irenicus) and rather disconnected from the broader tale of the Bhaalspawn (see its expansion pack to continue that). It's also a shame it still uses the yucky D&D 2E rules, although to Bioware's credit they added deeply tactical options to spellcasters onlyThis is the quintessential story-based RPG! It's a shame it's a sequel, with a storyline focused on the villain of the piece (Irenicus) and rather disconnected from the broader tale of the Bhaalspawn (see its expansion pack to continue that). It's also a shame it still uses the yucky D&D 2E rules, although to Bioware's credit they added deeply tactical options to spellcasters only bettered by Dragon Age. Everything else about it is wonderful: huge, deeper story than the first Baldur's Gate and introduction of romance subplots with NPCs (love them or hate them; hint, go for Viconia). A true classic. Expand
  49. Feb 21, 2012
    One of the great classic games. Excellent writing, superb character development, numerous, varied and enjoyable quests. The world is large and detailed, the characters engaging and memorable. The antagonist is one of the most notorious in gaming and the setting is sufficiently epic for a Greek tragedy. The game is not without it's flaws though. At over a decade old, it's visuals have notOne of the great classic games. Excellent writing, superb character development, numerous, varied and enjoyable quests. The world is large and detailed, the characters engaging and memorable. The antagonist is one of the most notorious in gaming and the setting is sufficiently epic for a Greek tragedy. The game is not without it's flaws though. At over a decade old, it's visuals have not aged well and many mods are required to bring it up to the present day, and even then it's not going to be on the same level as current generation graphics. The game is also the third instalment of a four part series so if you haven't played the previous two games you will be a little lost. The game never penalises you but it is designed for an audience from 1999 when the first two games were still popular. There are also a few balance issues with certain classes, with some being completely useless and others being super-powered. But these problems are quickly drowned away, and the masterpiece tells the story of the god-child with epic brilliance. Oh, and the game is very fun. Expand
  50. Nov 27, 2012
    Well, some people say Nostalgia is the cause of the big score for BGII. That people is wrong. I knew this game 1 and a half year ago and I'm sure this is the best game I have ever played. It has some minor issues, but its design, gameplay, graphics (for the time it was made), and sound are flawless. It even can be played in Windows7 without problems, in 1650 resolution. If you have notWell, some people say Nostalgia is the cause of the big score for BGII. That people is wrong. I knew this game 1 and a half year ago and I'm sure this is the best game I have ever played. It has some minor issues, but its design, gameplay, graphics (for the time it was made), and sound are flawless. It even can be played in Windows7 without problems, in 1650 resolution. If you have not played it before, make it. If you did, do it again. Expand
  51. Jul 29, 2013
    Together with Fallout 2, easily the best role-playing game ever. It fixed anything that was sub-perfect in BG 1. To play it on today's machines, be sure to install the patches and mods from the community (e.g. to make the resolution fit the one of your monitor).
  52. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    The best cRPG ever (along with Planescape Torment). So the question is: Why, oh why, they don't make games like that anymore? What happened to those people who made games like BG2 and Planescape
  53. Aug 22, 2013
    Do you enjoy deep and rich story-lines? Do you like making ridiculously powerful characters? Do you enjoy a plethora of side-quests? Do you enjoy creating 50 different characters whom all interact with the world differently? Do you like berserkers armed with miniature giant space hamsters? If you answered yes to any of the following well...you should already have this game to be honest. IDo you enjoy deep and rich story-lines? Do you like making ridiculously powerful characters? Do you enjoy a plethora of side-quests? Do you enjoy creating 50 different characters whom all interact with the world differently? Do you like berserkers armed with miniature giant space hamsters? If you answered yes to any of the following well...you should already have this game to be honest. I purchased this game 15 years ago and I still play it as if it still has that new game smell to it. I could go in depth as to all the reasons why this game are great but mere words simply do not do this game justice. This is something you simply have to experience to fully appreciate. The only downside to this game is that the path-finding leaves much to be desired and oftentimes your characters get lost walking in a straight-line. Thankfully any member of the Radiant Heart or the Cowled Wizards, the in game law officials, who approach you to ask for a breathalyzer test can be struck down with lightning, or better yet, turned into a squirrel. If you enjoy or even dabble in RPG games This is a must buy, twice if you possibly can. Expand
  54. Sep 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all this is the best computer game ever made.3.000 interesting quests and a lot of very interesting characters, each with his own great story and personality.Very nice monsters and dragons,perfect music and romantic dialogues.Magnificent combat controls, great and terible villains.I cant wait for the new enhanced edition to live the Baldurs Gate 2 experience again. Expand
  55. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is simply amazing. The first time I played it, I was blown away by the depth. So many storylines and sidequests! Amazing voice acting, especially of the main villian Irenicus. The UI is clunky and dated, sure, but this is a game made in 2000. The D&D rules are also a little daunting at first, but I got used to them and started playing with different combinations to see whatThis game is simply amazing. The first time I played it, I was blown away by the depth. So many storylines and sidequests! Amazing voice acting, especially of the main villian Irenicus. The UI is clunky and dated, sure, but this is a game made in 2000. The D&D rules are also a little daunting at first, but I got used to them and started playing with different combinations to see what characters I liked best.

Another big plus for this game is the dedicated modding community. The game itself is great, but if you want more challenge or more quests, you can install mods available on the internet. That shows how strongly people love this game, they spend so much time creating additional content to share with everyone.

BG2 is so good, I occasionally dust it off and re-install it, just to play it again. Even though I know all the story, and have even memorized where all the item drops are. It's that good, I can't stop coming back for another taste.
  56. Apr 1, 2014
    The most demanding and rewarding experience in my life.Quest,enemys,bosses,skills,combat,story,it's all there.This and diablo took 3 years of my youth,and i don't regret it at all.It was a hell fun ride there.
  57. Jul 3, 2014
    The single greatest PC RPG of all time. I still do a play through every now and again. Fantastic story devoid of cliches so common in current Bioware RPGs. Instead of being a hero destined to save the world, you are a hero destined to become an ultimate big bad. That alone should be enough to give it a try.
  58. Jul 29, 2014
    It is difficult not to give an 11/10 to this game, best RPG ever made, and for me the best game ever made too, no RPG comes even close to it FOURTEEN YEARS after it came out. Dragon Age Origins tried to emulate some of it elements and it partially succeded (DA2 is crap) but only partially. BG2 is still a game I play even today, and since its graphics can be scaled to any resolution with aIt is difficult not to give an 11/10 to this game, best RPG ever made, and for me the best game ever made too, no RPG comes even close to it FOURTEEN YEARS after it came out. Dragon Age Origins tried to emulate some of it elements and it partially succeded (DA2 is crap) but only partially. BG2 is still a game I play even today, and since its graphics can be scaled to any resolution with a small mod it can be played on modern computers without issues, and its 2d graphics still look decent and not distracting. Art style in the game is still unsurpassed by any game to date. Music is fantastic.

As for the game itself it has a wonderful story that gets perfect conclusion in Throne Of Bhaal expansion, probably the best "finish" to a game series ever, so emotional and deep, so rewarding and fulfilling. Combat is brilliant, no game ever reached the intensity of high level combat in BG2 and Throne Of Bhaal, you fight against many types of monsters, many spells are at your disposal, yes it is difficult for those not accustomed to hardcore RPGs or those unfamiliar with AD&D rules but it is well worth the effort. Quests, brilliant party members with their witty banter, memorable NPCs, tons of items of which most are unique, tons of spells, beautiful environments and clever writing make this game epic beyond anything I ever played. I dont think any game will surpass BG2 any time soon, that require a massive effort with brilliant writers but that is not likely to happen. If I was to look for flaws of this game I can find only one, not all lines are voice acted, probably a limitation of disc sizes at the time but it doesnt affect the enjoyment of the game. If only someone remade BG2 and Throne Of Bhaal in 3d graphics, just imagine BG2 with Skyrim graphics, now that would be something I would pay any money to have. Dont get me wrong, BG2 graphics scaled to modern resolutions still looks decent but imagine the immersiveness of 3d graphics, with all the beautiful art of BG2 its 3d version would be a work of art in which you can walk around and just admire the sights.

How brilliant is this game is shown by the fact that most players STILL consider it the best RPG ever, and they still play it FOURTEEN YEARS after it came out. BG2 aged perfectly, it is still a game that any RPG fan must play so if you havent played it yet get it NOW :D I still remember many key conversations in the game and can recite the entire evil godly ending down to the last letter.

Last we come to the replayability, that aspect is also unsurpassed, with the option of being male or female, and choosing different races and classes and with lots of party members to choose from, you can replay the game many times, I probably completed BG2 at least 20 times, and there is always more to discover, some small quests can be easily missed. And some quests allow you to take different paths so the replayability is beyond anything available today, Dragon Age Origins with Awakening expansion and other DLCs is the only game that comes close to BG2 and Throne Of Bhaal replayability but it is way easier than BG2 on AD&D rules, even at high levels in BG2 and Throne Of Bhaal you will get squashed if you dont prepare for fights, that is one more quality in BG2, other games make you overpowered in the end so you can simply walk around killing everything with ease and little danger to yourself, in BG2 you are certainly powerful in the end but still without preparation and appropriate tactics you get squashed, that is realistic. Now go and play it, your life as a gamer is not complete if you havent played BG2, trust me it is a life changing experience, warning-it will make you disappointed too because you will quickly realize how mediocre to bad are modern RPGs compared to BG2.
  59. Dec 1, 2014
    Following my disappointment with Inquisition, I installed BG2 on my PC last week and since then, I have been playing in every free minute. It's my third playthrough (after the first in 2000, my second in 2005 and the present one). So, since my last playthrough 9 years have passed and during that time, I have played tons of other RPGs (e.g. Dragonage, ME, Divinity, Drakensang, Witcher -Following my disappointment with Inquisition, I installed BG2 on my PC last week and since then, I have been playing in every free minute. It's my third playthrough (after the first in 2000, my second in 2005 and the present one). So, since my last playthrough 9 years have passed and during that time, I have played tons of other RPGs (e.g. Dragonage, ME, Divinity, Drakensang, Witcher - just to name a few). And what do I realize in this very moment? Well, I expected that after all these "modern RPGs", playing BG2 would be impossible (old graphics, static world, etc.), but JESUS CHRIST, how **** mistaken I have been!
    It's unbelievable, but BG2 is still a gem, even if you compare it to the newest games. In fact, it is a timeless piece of art. I simply love the graphics (the settings are so detailed and beautiful - almost as paintings that are great enough to be put on a wall...).
    Then, the NPCs are simply amazing: Minsc and his hamster - I do not remember a character as cool and funny in any of the following RPGs ("Go for the eyes, Boo"). And Aerie and Jaheira in the same group: when they fight for your attention and love, be prepared for one of the best written and most realistic dialogues in gaming history. Oh an Edwin, the most arrogant sorcerer ever - take him for an evil playthrough, it is SO well done.
    Besides well written NPCs and beatiful graphics, BG2 has an amazing game play and challenging fights. Gosh, the selection of arcane and divine spells is AMAZING - you basically have thousands of ways of shaping your mages and priests in a way you like it. Sorry to say, but Inquisition is a joke compared to what BG2 offered for RPG-lovers...
    Finally, BG2 has a great story. OK, I admit, it's no too original story, but it is still exciting and epic - and more importantly: the dialogues and all the writing is superb. Moreover, you play a huge part in this story and - more, more, more importantly - most of your quests somehow relate to the main story or add interesting side stories. It's really a complete difference to today's RPGs (e.g. Inquisition) where you have to kill 10 bears to complete a quest. In BG2 such quests do not exist - REALLY!!! I also didn't believe it at first, but now that I play it again, I value this old tradition of quest writing - how could game writing degrade so much over the past years??? It's unbelivable that a game from 2000 has set the standards in story- and dialogue-writing that almost all following games fail to meet (there are a few notable exceptions like ME1). Isn't this unbelievable?
    Anyway, I am going back to playing BG2 now :-) Cheers and praise to the old infinity enginge games, guys!
  60. Feb 18, 2015
    To me? GOAT. Michael Jordan. Wayne Gretzky. Greatest of all time. Nothing has come close. I'm not just talking RPGs but gaming in general. And it is a timeless experience that has never really aged.

Every paid game journalist / writer that dares to put Dragon Age on the same level as this should get fired and be banned from the trade simply for lying to you. Hearing that limp menu music, seeing the whiny faces on character creation made me sick.

Baldurs Gate 2 says **** all that noise, **** saving the world for the 1000th time from blighting reapers.
    You are not the usual world saving hero, beloved by all, like you are nowadays all the time. You have an own agenda, an own contextualization and drive. You can be a monster, slaughtering random people at will. Or you can be the classic knight in shining armor. Or you could be one of thousand things in between. All of it makes sense because Black Isle lets you brilliantly pick and pronounce you own motivation. Even after coming back for the 50th time, this to me is still so refreshing compared to the now usual "picked by destiny blablabla, shut up now and do as we say."

You will meet wonderful characters, each with there own state of mind and depth to them.

It is vast, full of charm, full of craziness, self-confidence and most of all: detail. You will wonder what happened to the industry and bioware (EA probably happened) when you right click a found magic weapon for the first time, just to realize it comes with its own 10-15 lines of signature lore and story.

Not sure about the Enhanced Edition. Get it on GOG, get the widescreen fix, the unfinished business mod and spend a bit of time getting to now the critical character figures that are a bit disorientating at first in Dungeons and Dragons V2.

I could either end it here or massively exceed the 5000 character limit.
  61. KarlG.
    Jun 15, 2008
    The best RPG ever, and quite possibly the greatest game ever made. Rather than a 'game' it's an experience that will suck you in and change your perception of gaming forever. I guarantee it will become the standard you judge other games by.
  62. MichalK
    Oct 14, 2009
    Even now, after nine years, there is no hardcore RPG game that will be better, or only equal to this little diamond... Best RPG ever.... And even one of the best games ever made...
  63. dd
    Feb 10, 2009
    Every now and then i feel the urge to replay the whole baldur's gate story. every now and then i feel how much work and how much time that game needed to be build. every now and then i feel the masses of detail and art within this game. every now and then i feel ... minsc should STFU! but still i like him. reminds me of giving him that sword with verbal diarrhoea.
  64. ChristopherH.
    Oct 1, 2003
    It's great!
  65. NikosP.
    Feb 17, 2006
    The RPG that elevated an astounding title (Baldur's Gate) to the level of perfection is undoubtedly one of the most significant computer games of all time. No true RPG fan can call himself that without having played this game.
  66. Thullraven
    Jan 28, 2007
    I have been playing RPG's forever. Have all the DND CRPG's. This is the best by far. Even new releases can't compare depth wise, NWN2 comes to mind. Anyone rating this low is doing so just to be different.
  67. JamesF.
    Jul 31, 2007
    Just superb, even today in 2007 it still holds it own in the sheer game play stakes, and by far the best RPG I have ever played. Makes you wonder what the games developers of new RPGs have been doing for the last seven years really. If you didn't get this the first time around, go get it! It doesn't cost much and will last you years (as long as you don
  68. SD
    Aug 31, 2009
    They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity. Everything came together in this game in a way that has never been achieved again. Balance was just right, gameplay was fun without being excessively repetitive, plot was interesting, world was expansive, mechanics were sound. But all that does not really get to the essence of what it is: an alternative world They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity. Everything came together in this game in a way that has never been achieved again. Balance was just right, gameplay was fun without being excessively repetitive, plot was interesting, world was expansive, mechanics were sound. But all that does not really get to the essence of what it is: an alternative world experience that is totally immersive. Hardened gamers on forums reported that they literally cried at the end of this, as they would at the end of a great novel or a great movie. This had real characters doing epic things. It's not quite The Lord of the Rings, but in terms of epic scale, feel, emotion, heroism, and all out escapist joy, it's the closest thing PC gaming has ever produced. It may be ten years old now, but it's still peerless. Expand
  69. SamP.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Baldur's Gate 2 is undoubtedly the best cRPG of all time. Even after seven years of its release, it's still ahead of its time in terms of content, depth, dialogue, non-linearity and replay value. All in all, it's an epic masterpiece of absolute perfection. If you are into RPG's and have never played this game, get it. It'll be the best deal in your life.
  70. Jan 14, 2015
    King of Kings to RPGs. Fantastic characters, amazing world waiting to be journeyed and explored, very high replay value, stories that push and drive you forward. Only downside and CON is there'll never be another work of art like SoA.
  71. Dec 16, 2011
    Ya, it's well made, deep, fun etc. But I was quite disappointed by the story, it lacks any cohesion and the conclusion is very cheap. But on the other hand, the side quests or stories or whatever are actually much more better than the main quest line itself.
  72. Oct 12, 2012
    My favourite game of all time. If you are an American RPG fan and you havn't played and loved this game then you probably don't exist. BEST GAME EVRAAAR
  73. Dec 11, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. I bought it when it originally came out, loved it then, beat it again last year and still love it. It has very few flaws; the only reason I don't give this a 10 is because of the slow and somewhat overwhelming intro. Fantastic storytelling with an original storyline (no "you are the chosen hero" stuff here), deep & tactical gameplay, and aThis is one of the best games I have ever played. I bought it when it originally came out, loved it then, beat it again last year and still love it. It has very few flaws; the only reason I don't give this a 10 is because of the slow and somewhat overwhelming intro. Fantastic storytelling with an original storyline (no "you are the chosen hero" stuff here), deep & tactical gameplay, and a diverse cast of characters with their own agendas round out a mindblowingly good RPG that has actual roleplaying in it. Expand
  74. Nov 29, 2014
    This game along with the first in the series have a special place close to my heart.

Rich in depth, interesting story, power progression, options, forgotten realms lore, great characters, great places to explore, fun combat. The only fault about the game is that there wasn't enough of it, I wish there was more place to explore on the world map. All in all thank you so much to the

All in all thank you so much to the people who made this game you will go down in history as having created the benchmark that all rpgs are based on. Please make something similar again!
  75. Jan 10, 2014
    Best game ever made for the PC. It makes such a difference when important characters have talented voice actors. What I think also makes a difference is that the player character is actually part of the story, not just some mercenary who was "mentioned in the scriptures that were foretold". You know the kind of crap that developers try get away with when they lack creative talent. TheBest game ever made for the PC. It makes such a difference when important characters have talented voice actors. What I think also makes a difference is that the player character is actually part of the story, not just some mercenary who was "mentioned in the scriptures that were foretold". You know the kind of crap that developers try get away with when they lack creative talent. The music is beautiful and enhances the atmosphere of this game. They just get everything "right" basically, very little is out of place. That's kind of why major modifications for this game were always mediocre at best. Expand
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    Quite simply the best CRPG ever made, Bioware at their best. Exceptional gameplay, story, content, art design and voice acting. Long, long campaign filled with interesting characters and side quests. As close to perfect as gaming gets.
  77. Apr 10, 2013
    This is the Citizen Kane of PC gaming. It is even better than Fallout 1 and it is 100x better than any RPG that get out since then. Student will study this game in classic class 75 years from now. Masterpiece.
  78. Jun 2, 2013
    Definitely one of the best rpg's ever created. I received this game as a birthday gift when it first came out. At that time I was still relatively new to rpgs. I didn't really have time for anything but rts' as far as I was concerned. Even before installing this game though I was instantly impressed. I just couldn't put down the manual until I actually installed the game. After that IDefinitely one of the best rpg's ever created. I received this game as a birthday gift when it first came out. At that time I was still relatively new to rpgs. I didn't really have time for anything but rts' as far as I was concerned. Even before installing this game though I was instantly impressed. I just couldn't put down the manual until I actually installed the game. After that I couldn't put down the game. From character creation on I was fully immersed. The voice acting was awesome. First running into Minsc is still one of my favorite character introductions of all time. Everything about this game was awesome. The amount of lore for the items and various books throughout the game was incredible. I'm still of the opinion that NPC's and party interaction have never surpassed this game. The replay value is extremely high with all of the different party variations, classes, and in-game decisions...Throw in incredible amounts of mod options and you will enjoy this game for a very very long time. Expand
  79. Aug 22, 2013
    I am still very fond of this game. It was a time-eater and worth every second of it. The story is amazing. I remember the end, when they tell you about the future of your followers, when I just sat there and knew that this is the point where you know, that all those people in your group were not just some pixels, fighting for you, picking locks or healing you. Sadly, the games have changesI am still very fond of this game. It was a time-eater and worth every second of it. The story is amazing. I remember the end, when they tell you about the future of your followers, when I just sat there and knew that this is the point where you know, that all those people in your group were not just some pixels, fighting for you, picking locks or healing you. Sadly, the games have changes since then. I must admit that I might not want to spend so much time, running around and looking for clues what I'm supposed to do now, but I'll remember this game as the peak of it's generation. You, Baldur's Gate 2, made a 23 year old guy very happy back then. Thank you. Expand
  80. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 7 out of 10, Length: 9 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  81. Jan 13, 2014
    top shelf, next to only a very few

baldurs gate series is one of the few games i never regreted to have payed money for(3 times actually)
    and i would again(depending on the publisher)
    "insert words of highest praise"

82. Aug 22, 2014
    I've been playing both WRPGs and JRPGs for decades. Of all of the RPGs that I have played, Baldur's Gate is without a doubt my favorite RPG of all time.
  83. Oct 12, 2014
    **** you meta critic i jusdt typed a long ass reveiw about how legit this game was and you ****ing peice of **** sit crashed. any ways this game is the only game I have had a personal connection with nuff said.
  84. Oct 22, 2014
    Between this and Deus ex, the year 2000 has got to be the best year for great games. Two different games yet the best of their class.

Hours upon hours of exciting gameplay, side quests, epic fights bound. The hand drawn background graphics are still beautiful now, especially with the upgraded high res version of the game. I wholly recommend it, it is one of the best out there.

I wholly recommend it, it is one of the best out there. Neverwinter nights doesn't hold a candle to BGII, it is a very poor copy of the BGII greatness.
  85. Oct 31, 2014
    2014 - and the Game is as good as in 2000. Buy it for a little amount of moneys DRM-Free on Good Old Games (GOG). The Resolution is not this what we call retina.... BUT THE GAME IS GREAT!
  86. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    Favourite RPG, especially with all the mods out there nowadays. The only thing I don't like about is that even though you get to choose the alignment for your PC, you're forced to play the good guy all the time since it's more rewarding and also it makes more sense storyline wise. So it's kind of hard to really build up a personality for your characters, which Favourite RPG, especially with all the mods out there nowadays. The only thing I don't like about is that even though you get to choose the alignment for your PC, you're forced to play the good guy all the time since it's more rewarding and also it makes more sense storyline wise. So it's kind of hard to really build up a personality for your characters, which distracts from the overall enjoyable game. Expand
  87. AndyC.
    Aug 9, 2006
    The best game I have ever played. It turned me into a drooling BioWare fanboy.
  88. LukeT.
    Dec 30, 2001
    The problem with tabletop RPGs is all the dice rolling. The problem with Computer RPGs is that they aren't as flexible as a human GM, and so story paths are relatively inflexible. BG2 Has so much divergence, that problem has now been addressed. Problems-- unstable in the Mac version, though I guess mac owners should be happy to see it at all :) Astonishingly complex, and very The problem with tabletop RPGs is all the dice rolling. The problem with Computer RPGs is that they aren't as flexible as a human GM, and so story paths are relatively inflexible. BG2 Has so much divergence, that problem has now been addressed. Problems-- unstable in the Mac version, though I guess mac owners should be happy to see it at all :) Astonishingly complex, and very immersive... Extremely good overall, I'd like to see Fallout 3 done in the Infinity Engine :) Expand
  89. TimothyW.
    May 27, 2004
    When i got the game shortly after its release, I swear i heard a choir of angels. This is easily one of the best CRPGs ever made. Not the best, but it comes darn close.
  90. MinscB.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Maybe the best RPG I've ever played. This is coming from a guy having never heard of the series then poped it in and then played it. Of course by doing that I was saying good bye to a good 2 months of my life.
  91. SamuelP.
    Dec 21, 2007
    BG2 takes away your breath, your time, your conceptions of a good RPG, and last but not least, your life. Its 2008 and I still play this game once or twice a year, and its completely new everytime...the magic just never dies. The graphics are pure ART, the soundtrack could come from a Peter Jackson movie, the gameplay is perfectly adjusted, the challenge is up to you, but it is always a BG2 takes away your breath, your time, your conceptions of a good RPG, and last but not least, your life. Its 2008 and I still play this game once or twice a year, and its completely new everytime...the magic just never dies. The graphics are pure ART, the soundtrack could come from a Peter Jackson movie, the gameplay is perfectly adjusted, the challenge is up to you, but it is always a tough battle throught it. Try doing the firts BG, then importing your poweful character in BG2, then, as it wasn't already enough, go throught the Throne Of Bhaal expansion pack for BG2. You'll probably need some protection for your balls, though. Expand
  92. OleH.V.
    Apr 11, 2007
    At this point, there have been no better RPG games released.
  93. Jarno
    Jul 15, 2007
    Quite simple the best RPG I've played in 20+ years of gaming. Immersive storyline, looooong game play, exceptional writing, and a still active community (7 years after the game's release) creating mods and populating the official forums for the game. That must tell you something. Of course BGII can't match up in graphics to modern games, but in pure gamplay, it beats them all.
  94. JohnR
    May 6, 2008
    Along with BG1 and Planescape : Torment the best cRPG of all time. My only criticisms are that : Bioware/Black Isle decided to dispense with the wilderness (i.e. non-essential, connecting) areas that were present in BG1 ; and I reckon BG2 could have done with perhaps five more playable NPCs. But everything else about the game is as good as and quite often better than the original, which Along with BG1 and Planescape : Torment the best cRPG of all time. My only criticisms are that : Bioware/Black Isle decided to dispense with the wilderness (i.e. non-essential, connecting) areas that were present in BG1 ; and I reckon BG2 could have done with perhaps five more playable NPCs. But everything else about the game is as good as and quite often better than the original, which was already easily the best cRPG of all time. The level of imagination, the quality of writing, the inexhaustibly involving tactical combat, the incredibly human characterization, the moments of sublime drama, great humour and of almost religious awe (e.g. when entering the Watcher's Keep area ) - make this ,along with BG1 and P:Torment, to computer games what The Iliad and The Odyssey will forever be to poetry. I will vow always to keep a machine to play these games on and they MUST be kept compatible with all future hardware to come. Expand
  95. Mr.K.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Too bad they don't make games like this anymore. I already signed off Fallout 3.
  96. DaveG.
    Jan 23, 2005
    This game ia great there always something to do.
  97. ChristophB.
    Aug 18, 2005
    The most extraordinary, utterly brilliant game that I have ever, and are ever likely, to play. Timeless.
  98. FelipeP.
    Sep 15, 2005
    One of the best RPGs of all time, incredible storyline and amazing gamplay.. although the graphics are soewhat outdated. Quality in the line of fallout games.
  99. StuartX.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Absolutely the greatest RPG ever made. Beautiful graphics, excellent story, strategic gameplay, deep character development and a brilliant story. Play it!
  100. Blob
    Nov 14, 2007
    This is simply the best cRPG ever. And I doubt my opinion will ever change. Stunning graphics, NPC interactions, music, game play, story telling... what could you want more from RPG?
  101. May 24, 2011

1. I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.