8.6

1. May 2, 2015
    An truly wonderful game, merging a sense of happiness and exploration with a dark, post-apocalyptic feel. First playthrough was quite short, but I know I will be re-visiting it at some point. Amazing game
  2. Apr 16, 2015
    Bastion is the best action rpg since monumental Diablo 2.Amazing story,gorgeous music,beautiful graphic,Bastion has it all.On my opinion a masterpiece from Supergiant Games,true peace of gaming art.
  3. Mar 6, 2015
    SCORE 95/100
    SCORE 95/100
    One of the best games I have ever played on my life, the feeling of finishing this is amazing. The narrator blending in game lore with story, the RPG element is very well developed, graphics and music are a masterpiece. The only flaw that I find in this game is the RPG and depht perception. I feel like the RPG could have been made better in many aspects and some users may find this game hard to have perception of depht, due to the camera angle.
    But still, the story matters a lot in this game, this game is a pure work of art.
  4. Jan 17, 2015
    Bastion is a beautifully-crafted indie platformer, which sets itself apart from the rest with its constant variety and unique gameplay.

You play as The Kid, who wakes up suddenly as the world around him is ending. They call it the “Calamity”, which basically results in the ground around him falling apart. Under the Kid’s feet, blocks of land rise up to settle beneath him, which is the main way for getting around throughout the game. He sets off for the Bastion; a large homely mechanism floating in the sky, which was where everyone was to meet when the world ends.

Lucky it was there!

You initially only find one old man there, Rucks. He slots himself in as the gruff narrator of the tale, speaking in metaphors and eloquence, detailing your actions at every turn, and providing the backstory as you go. The narrator is essentially the centrepiece to the story, which is what most of the praise for this game (mine included) aims at.

As you hop from area to area, you find more unique weapons. You can equip two at a time, which leads to an incredible amount of variety in your attacks (which Rucks comments on each time you leave the armoury). This is where much of the fun is; the gameplay itself. Each area, you can try a different combination of weapons, and not grow bored of it. Especially when you throw in a secret skill slot, which has limited uses, but opens up for even more variety.

The soundtrack is amazing, and sets the tone for each cut scene and level you come across. The world itself looks like an oil-painted artpiece, yet at each point you know what your objective is, and pick out what is harmless scenery, and what is potentially life threatening.

The story itself flows nicely, and even brings about a couple of choices in the final moments. These choices have real emotional weight, and what you choose will depend on the kind of person you are.

As an indie game enthusiast, this is one that must be in your Library.
  5. Dec 27, 2014
    This game is literally a moving watercolor painting. Great narrator, great on the side 'horde modes', fun combat with many different weapons, special attacks, and spirits at your disposal, and probably the best video game music i've heard since ODST. The story is pretty good to boot and all comes together well at the end.

GOTY.
  6. Dec 7, 2014
    Bastion is a 2D RPG game with a few "platformer" elements. You basically start each mission from a "home-place" called "Bastion" (of course) and move across the many lands through a hub. It tells the story of a world in ruin after a cataclysm that scattered the whole civilization - not to mention the fauna populating the world - leaving a very few survivors the task to "re-build" the worldBastion is a 2D RPG game with a few "platformer" elements. You basically start each mission from a "home-place" called "Bastion" (of course) and move across the many lands through a hub. It tells the story of a world in ruin after a cataclysm that scattered the whole civilization - not to mention the fauna populating the world - leaving a very few survivors the task to "re-build" the world itself. I'm not going into any details as I would spoil the story but the hero (The Kid) will meet some characters with whom he may have some kind of interaction; the story is told with a mix of short in-game sequences and a narrator, which is kinda a mentor, guide to The Kid.

The game itself is well crafted, with each shard having its unique environment and enemies; the platforming aspects which I mentioned before are of a minimal impact (and that's a good thing, IMO) and they would have you jumping from a platform to another to reach a new area or to obtain some items. As I've already written the game is 2D and you move your character direct-controlling it (WASD) and using the mouse to attack; a primary and secondary attack and a special move are available, the latter requiring some usables.

The Bastion, as a fortress which it is, indeed, can and must be upgraded to obtain new weapons and modify them; to build new structures which can provide you bonus and malus (soon explained); acquire materials to enhance weapons and gain passives. The RPG elements are quite unique and give you a very good amount of customization. For each new level gained you can choose a new passive to use and aid you through the many encounters. Every time a new weapon is found, an area will become accessible to train with that weapon and get more items/resources/xp. Shortly before I introduced a structure that can give you bonuses.. well, how that works? Its concept, and rather surprisingly, its realization, kicks some asses as it not an arcade feat. where you just become more powerful. Nope. This building let you divine a god (amongst 10) with each one of them giving you a % of +xp and +resources.. but each shrine will eventually kick-in a malus, like stronger enemies, mobs regenerating health.. so it's rather game-changing. I want to point out that each and every passive/shrine/some other elements can be swappable throughout the game just by visiting the bastion.

The are no real dialogs neither cinematics (just a bunch of very short sequences); over the journey the player has given the choice only two times.. which I won't be explaining as they'd be major spoils. Original music, nice sound FXs, very good arts and polished graphic.

Overall:

Graphic: 7
    Art: 9
    Sound: 7
    Music: 8
    Gameplay: 8
    Replay value: 8
    Uniqueness: 9

Partial: 8
  7. Aug 10, 2014
    Bastion is an absolutely beautiful game. I do not really like RPG like Bastion, but I was offered Bastion and I admit that I was quite surprised. Certainly RPG Bastion is a pretty standard, but I think the graphics and story are very well connected and are quite beautiful. The gameplay is good since Bastion is fluid and easy to handle, can not fault the above. So I think Bastion is a goodBastion is an absolutely beautiful game. I do not really like RPG like Bastion, but I was offered Bastion and I admit that I was quite surprised. Certainly RPG Bastion is a pretty standard, but I think the graphics and story are very well connected and are quite beautiful. The gameplay is good since Bastion is fluid and easy to handle, can not fault the above. So I think Bastion is a good RPG, with a twist on its class. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2014
    One of the best indie games out there. Bastion is a rich and beautiful game, with its story expertly narrated by the incredibly entertaining & funny Ruck which proves you don't need a AAA budget with full Voice-over characters to tell a good story and is a steal on the Steam sales for a couple of £/$
  9. Jul 7, 2014
    Let me start off with this, during the Steam Summer Sale of 2013, my friend introduced me to this wonderful game by gifting me it (along with its soundtrack) while it was on an 80% sale. After only playing the game for 1 hour I wanted to pay him and the developers twice the full price of the game each. My friend for introducing me to the game, and the developers for making the game. Now,Let me start off with this, during the Steam Summer Sale of 2013, my friend introduced me to this wonderful game by gifting me it (along with its soundtrack) while it was on an 80% sale. After only playing the game for 1 hour I wanted to pay him and the developers twice the full price of the game each. My friend for introducing me to the game, and the developers for making the game. Now, on to why I love this game.

Okay, I will admit Im not too critical of games... Id give E.T. For the Atari 2600 a 2/10... So, yea.

So, the Visuals. Need I say anything? This is one of the few games that can make a "cartoony" look work. And for me, this is the only game that made the "cartoony" look, well, look amazing!

Story, well, I don't want to spoil too much, so I'll explain the beginning. You're introduced simply as a Kid, and remain without a name through the entire story. You wake up and walk outside. Almost everything is gone, bit as you walk, the world assembles itself ahead of you. The Narrator tells you that this is the result of "The Calamity." I love the idea of making everything vague, and many will ask why. I say because it makes you explore to learn more. Throughout the game you can find Trinkets from before the Calamity and the game will explain to you what they are. And occasionally you will find special Trinkets that will make you fall asleep (for example a huge Smoke Pipe or Books... Or a Beanbag. I love the humor of this) and will send you into a place where you battle waves of enemies. Every time you defeat a wave of enemies, a piece of a character's past (or what a letter of the alphabet stands for in the universe in Bastion, for example "B is for Bastion, the *blah blah blah*) Each place corresponds to a certain main character, minus you. And the Narrator (who you meet after the first level, who is replaced instead by the alphabet). I love how the game doesn't just give the story to you and instead makes you work for it. It makes you feel more inclined to care about what it is telling you while still making you have fun and having a challenge.

Okay then, the Gameplay. Many criticize this game for being a "generic action hack-and-slash game" when it in no way at all is. There is so much variety in each weapon, your default weapon being a Hammer that can deal massive damage, and the last weapon in the game being a mobile cannon that shoots large, slow moving projectiles that can deal a HUGE amount of damage. You also can upgrade items with items that correspond with each weapon, and it grants you a tree of upgrades for each weapon. For example, the cannon (The Doom Cannon) can be upgraded to have Exploding Shots, Shoot Faster, Homing Shots, and more! Along with this, each weapon can be "charged" and released at just the right moment to deal a lot more damage, shoot multiple projectiles, and more! And along with THAT is a system of special abilities. Some, such as... Uh... I forget its name, but it lets you throw a Canister that spawns in a Turret from Portal, doesn't require a specific weapon. And others, such as... Uh... I forget the ability names, sorry! But it lets you shoot a Barrage of Shots from the Doom Cannon in rapid succession, and since it shoots from the Doom Cannon, requires one of the two (yea, you can choose what weapons you can have and have two at a time) weapons you have with you to be the Doom Cannon. Also, each weapon (and the shield) has a trial course with it and let you get new things for the weapon. (For example, top prize being a new ability, and another prize being an item to upgrade it with.) Also, there are Brews you can bring with you to grant you special abilities, for example... The... Man I'm horrible with remembering these names... The... (Made up name, not ability) Heart Brandy that grants you the ability to carry 2 more than the original 3 health potions, allowing for a total of 5, and also the potions are instantly used if you would die from an attack. Finally, there is the idol system. What it does is, when you activate and idol, the game is harder, but you get more experience. For example... One idol could double the damage enemies deal but grant you 50% more experience (well, not that much). There is a grand total of 10 idols. Anyone who thinks the game is too easy, try doing the challenge levels I talked about in the last section with all 10 idols on.

Finally, the music. Absolutely stunning, must I say more? Well, I will anyway. The music is so fitting for any point in the game. You're in an intense boss fight? This game has the music for it. You are at the credits and are tearing up? This game has the perfect music for that. My favorite three tracks would be #3: Build that Wall (Zia's Theme) #2: Mother, I'm Here (Zulf's Theme), and #1: Setting Sail, Coming Home (Credits Music). Heck, I would pay the full price of the game for just those three songs from the soundtrack. The Narrator is not annoying in any way and is the cherry on top to this game.
  10. Jul 7, 2014
    General Overview: A short but very captivating game with addictive game play, unique setting and wonderful story telling. The game is deceptively simple yet captivating with a great balance of narration and action, very well paced and simply a joy to play and strong reasons to experience the game again.

TL;DNR: 9: Great original concept and wonderful execution and although short is

TL;DNR: 9: Great original concept and wonderful execution and although short is rewarding and addictive to play with substantial replay value to experience the "other" side of the story. My only complaint is the length of the story but is also great as an arcade style game in the side area proving grounds.

Technology/engine: 7: Very simple, clean and functional. The unfolding of the environment keeps it light weight but also provides and element of exploration value despite linear story telling.

AI: 8: a bit repetitive but challenging with frequent pace changes of actions and many new situations and variety of enemies to encounter.

Graphics: 9: Simple, attractive and unique art style that is endearing and captivating and creates a unique immersion into the unique setting.

Sound: 9: Very unique sound and good distance to source recognition that creates ambiance without being overwhelming and only plays into the soundtrack.

Soundtrack: 10: Excellent music selection that is very fitting for the title.

Voice acting: 10: The narration is fantastic and the simple device of a single talented story teller really works well here.

Crafting: N/A - more customization than crafting.

Customization: 10: You can customize the weapons to your preferred play style and it really makes a difference.

Game play systems: 10: Great action game play with lots of movement and simple controls that keep it fun and fast paced. Its hard to describe how such a simple combination of mechanics can make a game so fun and addictive.

Controls: 8: Very simple and streamlined with full reprogramming.

Story: 10: The story is what really shined for me. The narrative is well paced, well delivered and enhances what you do throughout the game with a satisfying but difficult choice at the end.

Multiplayer: N/A
  11. Jul 3, 2014
    Pros: Fantastic music and graphics. An interesting narrator that comments on your actions / decisions.

Cons: It's a fairly short game.

It's a fun title you'll beat in a few hours and probably never come back to, but the music and narrator make it a memorable experience, and i think back to Bastion as one of my best experiences in gaming.
  12. Jun 25, 2014
    Brought me that same awesome feeling Kingdom Hearts did back when it came to PlayStation 2. The atmosphere in Bastion is just wonderful. I really liked the colorful graphic design and responsive combat along with the storyline. I've always enjoyed hack and slash games and Bastion truly delivers. Only rant I have about it is the length. You don't often see games like this and I just didn'tBrought me that same awesome feeling Kingdom Hearts did back when it came to PlayStation 2. The atmosphere in Bastion is just wonderful. I really liked the colorful graphic design and responsive combat along with the storyline. I've always enjoyed hack and slash games and Bastion truly delivers. Only rant I have about it is the length. You don't often see games like this and I just didn't want it to end so soon! I'm currently on my 4th playthrough on new game plus but it doesn't really bring anything to the table. Nevertheless it has become one of those games I play through at least once a year. Couldn't recommend more! Expand
  13. Jun 4, 2014
    One of the best games I've ever played, definitely in my top 5, maybe even on my top 3. Really great story, as well as a wonder ful artwork and amazing music, even though the combat system was quite simple, I don't think it made the experience worse or even of less value
  14. Jun 3, 2014
    Simplemente, uno de los juegos más interesante de los que he jugado, Bastion te entrega una historia intensa sobre el apocalipsis que destruyó el mundo, gráficas para ser un juego Indie, muy buenas, sonidos y música, excelentes, ambientación por la que vas buscando las distintas runas, en general muy buenas, es un juego en los que la historia te deja atrapado y no puedes salir, no soy unSimplemente, uno de los juegos más interesante de los que he jugado, Bastion te entrega una historia intensa sobre el apocalipsis que destruyó el mundo, gráficas para ser un juego Indie, muy buenas, sonidos y música, excelentes, ambientación por la que vas buscando las distintas runas, en general muy buenas, es un juego en los que la historia te deja atrapado y no puedes salir, no soy un fan de los juegos Indie, solo un jugador casual de ellos, este juego me impresiono para ser un juego Indie, si se podría, le pondría 9.5/10 Expand
  15. May 28, 2014
    This game is very stylish and cool and has a lot of fun elements to it that anyone should be able to enjoy. The only negative thing I can think of is that the "new-game plus" feature just doesn't really do it for me in terms of adding replayability. But for a game that can be had on Steam right now for less than $3, this title is well worth the money, even if you only get one play-through.
  16. May 20, 2014
    A good game, with a great story and art style, the only thing is that the gameplay is lacking a bit, although i also have a dislike to the hack n slash type of games
  17. May 7, 2014
    Probably the best game i've ever played. The graphics are beautiful,the gameplay is smooth and filled with action. But the 3 things that made me a fonof the game,are the narration,the music,and the story. First,the narration is so AWESOME,you will hope that God has the same voice as Rucks. The music gives such a good atmosphere,it fits for every situation,and I couldn't find one not thatProbably the best game i've ever played. The graphics are beautiful,the gameplay is smooth and filled with action. But the 3 things that made me a fonof the game,are the narration,the music,and the story. First,the narration is so AWESOME,you will hope that God has the same voice as Rucks. The music gives such a good atmosphere,it fits for every situation,and I couldn't find one not that sounded bad. And lastly,the story. The only word i could write to express it,is: gorgeous. I have shed a tear or two in the end,and from an indie game,its a big achivement to write a story like this. I can only recommend it for everyone. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2014
    A linear action-adventure game with fun combat, a sweet soundtrack, and cool narration that follows what you do in real time.

At first it seems to be somewhat shallow and only about the action, but towards the end the story becomes pretty deep and thought-provoking, as it touches on themes such as regret, guilt, revenge, reconciliation, and hope.
  19. Apr 5, 2014
    One of the better indie titles. Really enjoyed it sitting back using a gamepad, Ever so slightly reminded me of Battle Toads! Easy to get into, fun to play, I loved the soundtrack and scores, they are what really drew me into this game. When the battles got intense and that music fired up... mmm I love it! Good upgrade paths and choice of weapons. They have passive trinkets too! I loveOne of the better indie titles. Really enjoyed it sitting back using a gamepad, Ever so slightly reminded me of Battle Toads! Easy to get into, fun to play, I loved the soundtrack and scores, they are what really drew me into this game. When the battles got intense and that music fired up... mmm I love it! Good upgrade paths and choice of weapons. They have passive trinkets too! I love passives! Controls were smooth and fluid, I enjoyed the narration even though it was constant it was pulled off really well. Story was slightly confusing until the end. Story-wise it depends on your taste, but I found it to be slightly random-cliche.. but still had just enough depth to keep me interested. I'd recommend this title for the price. Cheers Expand
  20. Mar 20, 2014
    The game has an amazing musical score and Art style. The overall atmosphere of the game is beautiful.

This game comes off as a bit zelda-like for me.

It's got a good challenge to, and interesting story.

Recommend that everyone try it, as it is a unique experience.
  21. Mar 15, 2014
    Not a bad game, but its never really sucked me in. There is just....something missing. For me part if it is it's not really fast paced enough. Also it never really quite feels like your in danger. The sense of urgency is just missing. I can see how others would really like it.
  22. Mar 4, 2014
    This was an amazing game. It had so many qualities to it that makes it truly unique and not to mention that amazing soundtrack. The soundtrack is only a part of the experience, I loved the the way the game was laid out out in a number of levels and trying to rebuild with one level at a time while finding and upgrading new weapons and customizing your own load out to experiment with. AlongThis was an amazing game. It had so many qualities to it that makes it truly unique and not to mention that amazing soundtrack. The soundtrack is only a part of the experience, I loved the the way the game was laid out out in a number of levels and trying to rebuild with one level at a time while finding and upgrading new weapons and customizing your own load out to experiment with. Along with all of that you never are truly alone as you have the soothing voice of the narrator speaking almost every move you make. 10/10 truly an amazing game. Expand
  23. Feb 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed Bastion because it had a gripping story to tell me. I felt like I was playing a book. Emotionally invested is the right word choice.

At times the controls are a bit of a challenge and you may slip off some edges or die as a result, but the game does not really punish you for it BECAUSE it is all about the story. Some of the challenges for weapons get a bit old and I

Some of the challenges for weapons get a bit old and I found myself using the same set of weapons over and over where I would like to see more diversity encouraged (Machete ftw imo). And while it pretends to be flexible in what you do and where you go by bringing up a map, the game is on rails in every sense BECAUSE it is a book/story.

So, I liked the story so I like the game. And it is Fantastically art styled and directed. really really gorgeous. Throw in a (now classic) narrator and you have a really great game.
  24. Jan 28, 2014
    I found this game laying in my Steam library. I had purchased a bundle that included this game but never really looked into. After starting the game I was instantly hooked. The combat is very simple, but there are layers of strategy hiding behind that simplicity. There are many different weapons that allow you to play with many different playstyles. But the fighting isn't even the bestI found this game laying in my Steam library. I had purchased a bundle that included this game but never really looked into. After starting the game I was instantly hooked. The combat is very simple, but there are layers of strategy hiding behind that simplicity. There are many different weapons that allow you to play with many different playstyles. But the fighting isn't even the best part of this game. The story is one of the better stories I have seen in any game. It was a unique story that had an even more unique way of telling it. The narrator just really brought this game from a good game to a perfect game. This game is worth giving a chance to, I did and now it holds a special place in my heart. Expand
  25. Jan 23, 2014
    Thrilling gameplay, cool weapons and upgrades (RPG elements), love the style and narrator. There's a free demo on steam so try it out first. The story is interesting but also confusing and a bit aimless.

Great game, sometimes the controls will throw you because of the diagonal platforms. Relatively short, takes about 9 hours to beat, more if you choose to replay it.
  26. Jan 17, 2014
    Bastion is a truly beautiful game. The art design is one of the greatest in video games. With a wonderful narrator, nice diversity of characters, and original story, Bastion is a lovely experience.
  27. Jwv
    Jan 15, 2014
    Cool levels, and there's good variation in their artwork themes, but they are very linear. I liked the enemies a lot, there are a load of different enemies with unique and funny designs, and cool and varied attacks. A con about the combat is that you have no choice in how to engage an enemy by choosing different paths to different situations, but there is in the weapon choice. There's aCool levels, and there's good variation in their artwork themes, but they are very linear. I liked the enemies a lot, there are a load of different enemies with unique and funny designs, and cool and varied attacks. A con about the combat is that you have no choice in how to engage an enemy by choosing different paths to different situations, but there is in the weapon choice. There's a big amount of weapons, and they are varied, but I feel like they just got stronger the further in the game, so that there's really not much reason to pick a bow over carbine. Lastly, the sound-effects were varied and the voice-acting and the soundtrack was absolutely stunning. The creative story-telling with an omniscient narrator and the sounds and voices truly elevate this game above mediocrity. Expand
  28. Jan 11, 2014
    There is no other option than to give this game a perfect 10.
    It's mix of combat and story is perfect topped off with a fantastic soundtrack that you will want to listen to over and over.
    The graphics are perfect for this isometric game, mixing old school isometric graphics with a bright colorful style makes any screenshot from this game into a work of art. The games story and
    There is no other option than to give this game a perfect 10.

The games story and narration are fantastic. I highly recommend this game if you enjoy semi-retro or indie platformers.
  29. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that this is the best game ever created.
    There are many reasons for this, but ill only mention those that are spoiler free, so anyone who has not played this game need not worry.
    Let me start by saying that this is the best game ever created.
    Lets start with what is possibly the best example of voice acting in video any video game to this date. The narrator, who gives a commentary on your adventure in past tense even though you are playing through this story in the future, is amazing. His voice is godly, emotionless at time but look (or listen) closer and you'll start to learn much more about him. He does a perfect job.
    Now the art style and the way the world forms around you; both are beautiful and interesting. The combat is extremely enjoyable with a wide variety of play styles due to the amazing amount of weapons, skills and liquors available.
    This game has possibly the best moment in storytelling ever, I wont go into detail but let me say this, when given the choice to save another or complete your goal, chose the former.
    Which brings me onto the fact the game blends game play and story perfectly and although the story seems simple at first, look deeper and there is much more.
    Lastly, the music is amazing and actually relates to the game.
    This game is the closest thing to perfection it can be.
  30. Dec 31, 2013
    Amazing graphics combined with interesting storytelling and nice music and gameplay. Although it was a little bit boring for me in the end, it is totally worth playing.
  31. Dec 29, 2013
    Bastion is one of the best games I've ever played. This simple RPG is a must have. The unique game-play, custom layouts, and beautiful soundtrack all intertwine to make Bastion a great gaming experience for anyone.
  32. Dec 29, 2013
    This was by far the most impressive indie game I have ever played, as well as one of my favorite games in general. The game's incredibly beautiful. The narrator is amazing, his implementation into the game really makes this game amazing. Narration in games is usually just some extra spice but Bastion wouldn't be Bastion without it, the narration is what makes this game.
  33. Dec 23, 2013
    Bastion is beautifully made. Beautiful graphics. Epic narrator. The combat system could be improved but other than that, its awesome. It's pretty simple like that.
  34. Dec 10, 2013
    Near perfect. Almost has everything a game needs.

Near perfect. Almost has everything a game needs.

Pros: Wonderful combat system where with all the combinations of weapons and challenge modes will keep you interested and sweating if you want but if you don't, it's really fluent and frustration-free to just experience the story. Beautiful design with both the storytelling and arts fascinating. The ending is awesome. With no strings attached you get to have your choice and be deeply moved/reflect a lot. At least I personally had gained unimagined insights and edifications from it unaccessible elsewhere, seriously.(Don't want to be too specific lest it becomes a spoiler)

Cons: The only shortcomings if I to say is that the game world/story is still not expanded enough, a little of story details seem a bit weird, and the ending is a little bit anticlimactic in terms of gaming (but definitely not in terms of story).

In all, games that touch our hearts are so rare these days. Bastion does it wonderfully, and genuinely, unlike some games which claim to do so but really don't; what's more is it also achieves amazing playability along with the story. Buy it, you won't regret it.
  35. Dec 9, 2013
    I loved this game. Beautiful scenery and levels. The soundtrack is just fantastic and really adds to the feel of the game. The voice-over narration is easily one of the most memorable and best parts of the game. Worth every penny you spend on it.
  36. Nov 29, 2013
    This type of Indie game that i have loved from the moment i started playing it. Bastion has great isometric camera feature that makes the game play interesting to say the least. Many games have tried to incorporate the narrator into the story line, and i know that this is the game that put those two together very well.
    The Narrator feature was a key part of the game, without him the game
    The Narrator feature was a key part of the game, without him the game would lose meaning and the story line would be nowhere near as compelling.
  37. Nov 25, 2013
    Simple, beautiful and entertaining game with a wonderful atmosphere

Simple, beautiful and entertaining game with a wonderful atmosphere

This game caught me completely off guard, I was attracted by the colorful art style, wonderful music and the deep voice of the storyteller and found the game to be so much more. It is a small indie game but it knows what it wants to be and executes it with surgical perfection. It is a story driven action-adventure game that is a bit linear in the beginning but opens up a bit later on in the game.
    You have different weapons that you collect through the game, many are generally useful but also fills a specific function. Your village starts as an empty place but you get access to new buildings that you can place there over the course of the game and they in turn, give you access to upgrades and power-ups that will increase your chances during your adventures.
    While the game mechanics are solid, the thing that captivated me was the story, music and atmosphere. You can see throughout the game that it was built with a clear vision and a lot of love. This was one of my most memorable adventures to date.
  38. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/MultiPlayer (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/MultiPlayer (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

39. Oct 29, 2013
    Bastion is a very interesting and engaging game. One of the biggest mechanics of the game is the graphical style: it is simply superb. Everything around you is hand-painted and the colour dynamics are incredible across the large array of different environments. The way the land forms around you as you move is also fantastic. The game’s narration is also great with a mix of serious andBastion is a very interesting and engaging game. One of the biggest mechanics of the game is the graphical style: it is simply superb. Everything around you is hand-painted and the colour dynamics are incredible across the large array of different environments. The way the land forms around you as you move is also fantastic. The game’s narration is also great with a mix of serious and humorous lines and makes you feel as though you are a character that is part of a novel. While the combat mechanics are admittedly a little basic, it is through the presentation where the game truly shines. Expand
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    One of the more fun games I've played in years. I spent about 20 hours getting through the easy mode (with more than a couple of those hours spent achievement farming). I played primarily with a controller, but the keyboard/mouse combo was intuitive as well. The story-line and story-telling were original and engaging, and I found myself interacting with the environment on more than oneOne of the more fun games I've played in years. I spent about 20 hours getting through the easy mode (with more than a couple of those hours spent achievement farming). I played primarily with a controller, but the keyboard/mouse combo was intuitive as well. The story-line and story-telling were original and engaging, and I found myself interacting with the environment on more than one occasion just to see if there was a narrator witticism attached. If you got the game on sale through Steam, you won't be disappointed with the dollars-per-hour ratio. It won't burn your graphics card up, but the style and animation keep it fresh as you discover new weapons and creatures. For the challenge mongers, there are "gods" to be discovered and enabled; each ratchets up the difficulty (and reward) for the stage. Expand
  41. Oct 25, 2013
    Alright, I have to say that there is a great effort made in the graphics (some may like it) but apart from that point, I cannot find anything to that game. Maybe the narrator is a good idea, but I like when a story is told with nice cut-scenes, taking a break in the game. And that voice is just annoying after a little while. The controls are not very good and I keep falling down theAlright, I have to say that there is a great effort made in the graphics (some may like it) but apart from that point, I cannot find anything to that game. Maybe the narrator is a good idea, but I like when a story is told with nice cut-scenes, taking a break in the game. And that voice is just annoying after a little while. The controls are not very good and I keep falling down the platforms. The gameplay is not interesting: you keep doing the same actions over and over. You just have to switch weapons sometimes. The tentative RPG options are a failure: weapons and augmentations are very limited and anyways you sort of need to get them at some point; so there is little choice to make by yourself. The story is very boring, I had to force myself to finish it. Expand
  42. Oct 18, 2013
    I enjoyed Bastion, the mechanics were solid, there was enough build and challenge to make the game interesting. The story becomes tiringly cryptic by the end, but I really enjoyed the plot navigation. At some points I had trouble remembering all of the terms of the world and it became more interesting just to play through. The level of choice and variety of ways to solve a level reallyI enjoyed Bastion, the mechanics were solid, there was enough build and challenge to make the game interesting. The story becomes tiringly cryptic by the end, but I really enjoyed the plot navigation. At some points I had trouble remembering all of the terms of the world and it became more interesting just to play through. The level of choice and variety of ways to solve a level really bump up the replayability factor, I'm going to enjoy this for a long time. Expand
  43. Oct 5, 2013
    Very interesting game, nice visuals. it is a very addictive game and it has a lot of adventure action to offer, buy it people, just buy it! Very nice job Warner Bros and Interactive Entertainment!
  44. Oct 3, 2013
    Bastion is, hands down, one of the best games I have ever had the fortune of playing. The visuals are incredibly appealing vibrant, fitting colours, detailed artwork. The western-theme nicely by the western music, which is very fitting on the game as a whole. The narrator's voice-overs and explanations for things are flawless and quirky, and make you want to hear more. The gameplay isBastion is, hands down, one of the best games I have ever had the fortune of playing. The visuals are incredibly appealing vibrant, fitting colours, detailed artwork. The western-theme nicely by the western music, which is very fitting on the game as a whole. The narrator's voice-overs and explanations for things are flawless and quirky, and make you want to hear more. The gameplay is great fun the combat, starting simple, becomes increasingly fast-paced and skill-based, especially when all idols are enabled for full difficulty. As you progress through the mysterious-yet-lore-heavy storyline, more weapons are unlocked, allowing you to play using different styles. You can eventually customize a "build" (a weapon loadout and some bonuses, called spirits). And the gameplay doesn't get old many games turn into grinding for levels, but Bastion encourages to play just to play. I am playing through the main storyline for the third time now, having already beaten it once in its regular story and difficulty, and another time in New Game with all idols activated. Replay-ability is very high, and I still have not grown bored of it.

Despite being such a great game, Bastion does suffer from some issues. Occasionally you can get stuck on a floating platform out in the middle of the air, and dropping off only drops you back ONTO the platform, which falls again seconds later. This last only happened to me on my 3rd time through the game, however. Other than this, I ran into very few glitches and am still having fun the story-line never gets old, and the world of Bastion is absorbing. Overall, the game is great-if only there was more story to play through! But for now, I suppose I'll have to settle for replaying this one.
  45. Oct 2, 2013
    El juego en sí, está muy bien. buena narración lo que te mete en la história, gran jugabilidad. Es original y en muchos momentos recuerda a buenos juegos como Zelda o similares. Lo recomiendo 100%.
  46. Sep 30, 2013
    Bastion if like one of those moments in life that you buy a bag of five cookies and find seven on the inside.

This indie game does not disappoint; with a unique and absolutely stunning visual and level design, a suitable soundtrack and a narration that slowly unfolds the deep story, Bastion is one great game that takes storytelling to a new stage.
  47. Sep 30, 2013
    A game with great story, atmosphere, and heart. I love the narrator's voice and the way he unfolds the story. The ending(s) of the game is an amazing experience that I would recommend to everyone. It drops just short of 10 because I only give that score to games that I consider very replayable. After experiencing all the different endings to Bastion I don't feel much urge to replay it.
  48. Sep 28, 2013
    Were do i even start with bastion. should i talk about the inspiring graphics. should ii start with the truly amazing soundtrack. do rave about the narration what makes nothing bland what so ever. the originality, the graphics, the every thing. I have never bought a sound track for a game in my life but this was an exception. the story is also great. the game is about putting the brokenWere do i even start with bastion. should i talk about the inspiring graphics. should ii start with the truly amazing soundtrack. do rave about the narration what makes nothing bland what so ever. the originality, the graphics, the every thing. I have never bought a sound track for a game in my life but this was an exception. the story is also great. the game is about putting the broken world back together piece by piece. this is a masterpiece and for only $15 this is a must buy. Expand
  49. Sep 24, 2013
    i really enjoyed this game. These types of games are not typically something I would play, but after forcing myself to play Torchlight (which I enjoyed immensely), I thought I would give Bastion a shot. The graphics and game play were rock solid. It was a great play through, but I don't see myself starting it again for a new campaign. it appears there are minigames to beat your scoresi really enjoyed this game. These types of games are not typically something I would play, but after forcing myself to play Torchlight (which I enjoyed immensely), I thought I would give Bastion a shot. The graphics and game play were rock solid. It was a great play through, but I don't see myself starting it again for a new campaign. it appears there are minigames to beat your scores so there are bits to bring you back to the game, but not enough to grab me. All in all, a superb game, but with the lack of replayability, I gave a score of 8. I wish it could be 8.5 though. Expand
  50. Sep 18, 2013
    Out of all the games that I have ever played, for any platform, Bastion is possibly the best. The game makes wonderful use of the narrator mechanic and tells a wonderful, compelling story. the game is also gorgeous.
  51. Aug 31, 2013
    Great fun. Creative level and character designs with a very distinctive and endearing style. Good variety of enemies, weapons and challenges makes it worth coming back to after the first playthrough.
  52. Aug 28, 2013
    I was very pleasantly surprised by this gem of a game, which I picked up during a Steam sale but would easily say it’s worth full price.

I wasn’t too blown away with the story, but this is not the type where the story makes or breaks the experience. What story there is was okay, and I liked the narration effect. There are lots of weapons to choose from, fun challenges to take on, and power-ups to get.

The soundtrack is also very good, which is another bonus. It may be a bit on the short side, but the asking price is right and they did not skimp in the quality department. If you like these types of games, you will have fun with this one.

I used keyboard & mouse control with no issues, but it does have full controller support, which may work better depending on one’s preference.
  53. Aug 13, 2013
    Fantastic artwork, fabulous narrator and a great soundtrack cover up boring and meager gameplay. Initially it all felt like a nice and new experience, but after a few hours I gave up. Like, apparently, many Steam gamers. If you check the global gameplay stats for this game, you can see that only about 14 percent of all players actually finished the game. For me, that doesn't justify allFantastic artwork, fabulous narrator and a great soundtrack cover up boring and meager gameplay. Initially it all felt like a nice and new experience, but after a few hours I gave up. Like, apparently, many Steam gamers. If you check the global gameplay stats for this game, you can see that only about 14 percent of all players actually finished the game. For me, that doesn't justify all the praise this game is getting. All I find, is that it's a nice and shiny gimmick. And just like all other gimmicks, it's now sitting in my basement of abandoned toys. I think you could just as well save yourself some money, and watch a playthrough on Youtube. Expand
  54. Aug 12, 2013
    At first, graphics, sound, game-play were very enjoying. After some time, it got repetitive and boring. Additionally I didnt understand the storyline much. I did not finish the game.
  55. Aug 9, 2013
    Highly enjoyable game with interesting gameplay, plenty of options and a fantastic setting with great visuals. Well worth your time if you looking for a good action RPG.
  56. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is really awesome! It blows most indie games out o the water with it's creative atmostphere. There is no reading for dialog and no voices as it is all monologued by the first man you meet in the game and it's done beautifully.

The RPG elements revolve around the bar you first build where as you go up in levels you gain slots to put in different potions that give your characters different passive/conditional boosts like 15% damage resistance, +10% max health and many others. Also you are able to upgrade your weapons from the items you pick up, each one giving your weapon a different boost like faster reload time, increased damage and you have to choose between the two, but once it's bought you can alter the upgrades to change for whatever situation you think you'll run into like increasing the spread of a blunterbuss or instead going for improved damage.

You also get a chance to go to what's known as "Who-knows-where" to fight waves of enemies to grind out xp and "cash".
  57. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is a stunning combination of a beautiful world, fun combat, and a breathtaking and moving story. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys beautiful graphics and art in a game and also to anyone that likes good stories in games.
  58. Jul 29, 2013
    Amazing graphics, presentation and overall style. It's just that the game is too arcade and primitive. Also, the idea of the path appearing under your feet may seem cool at first but is actually quite annoying: you don't see where you can go and where not.
  59. Jul 29, 2013
    Well I picked up Bastion over the steam summer sale. While I paid two dollars I can say with out a tinge of lying, that I would pay well over 30 dollars if not more, to experience a game like Bastion. The way this game puts you in a world suffering from a disaster and tells you to fix it. With the narration, the characters, and stories behind every little item you find. You grow attachedWell I picked up Bastion over the steam summer sale. While I paid two dollars I can say with out a tinge of lying, that I would pay well over 30 dollars if not more, to experience a game like Bastion. The way this game puts you in a world suffering from a disaster and tells you to fix it. With the narration, the characters, and stories behind every little item you find. You grow attached to this world and the people who are left living in it. It causes you to care for the creatures, even the ones that try to kill you... Then it gives you decisions.... Decisions that turn your world in circles... I give this game a ten out of ten, hands down the best single player gaming experience I've had in my life. Thank you Super Giant games, thank you. Expand
  60. Jul 28, 2013
    One of the most engaging games I've ever played. I picked this up after watching the Zero Punctuation review. Bastion quickly became my personal favorite game of all time and still is. The art is wonderful, PC controls handle nicely and the story is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. The narrator is simply great. His tone of voice changes very little through out the game yet he isOne of the most engaging games I've ever played. I picked this up after watching the Zero Punctuation review. Bastion quickly became my personal favorite game of all time and still is. The art is wonderful, PC controls handle nicely and the story is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. The narrator is simply great. His tone of voice changes very little through out the game yet he is still able to convey emotions more effectively than any other narrator. Bastion can really draw you into its world if you allow it too. Playing through I let the game bring me into its world and I had a much better experience because of it. While I WON'T spoil the ending I will say you have to make a choice at the very end. Before making the choice I became immersed in the story and placed myself in the protagonist place. Then I asked myself "what would I do if I where is this situation?" Doing this made the final choice much harder to make and my decision had more meaning to me when I finally made it. It was not an easy choice for me. Some people may have no issues making a decision but I truly did struggle with choices. After making my choice and going through the credits I immediately had to play through the last mission again to see the other ending. There are no good or bad ending or moral choice system, just two very different endings. Bastion is defiantly worth checking out or at the very least giving a chance. If you like the game you'll understand all the praise it gets. If you don't enjoy it, it was only $15 (at the most) instead of $60 for a big triple A game. Expand
  61. AWG
    Jul 27, 2013
    Bastion looks and sounds like a good product but games with "magic" elements and dull combat systems are really not my piece of cake. I found it quite boring.
  62. Jul 27, 2013
    Amazing artwork, interesting and simple gameplay along with beautiful music is a well tested combination. Bastion has all of these. It also features a unique narration/voiceover system that I've never seen before. Can't really find anything wrong with this one.
  63. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is art. You got an interesting story, an incredible storyteller, a beautiful artstyle, cool gameplay, although it is sometimes inaccurate and an awesome soundtrack. It's recommended to play Bastion with an controller. Buy this game and be impressed!
  64. Jul 21, 2013
    Truly an awesome game, from the confusing but complex lore to the surprisingly exception soundtrack for an indie game. Most harp about the combat being boring, but try turning all the shrines on and you'll see how difficult and challenging the game can get.
  65. Jul 20, 2013
    This game had excellent visuals and one of the best narrations ever. It was a shame that it took me 2 hours to finish the story and the game wasn't very challenging. I completed some of the challenges but after the story was done, so was the game. I bought it for 2 euros on steam summer sale so I'm pretty content with what I got for that price. 10+ is a pretty steep price for such a shortThis game had excellent visuals and one of the best narrations ever. It was a shame that it took me 2 hours to finish the story and the game wasn't very challenging. I completed some of the challenges but after the story was done, so was the game. I bought it for 2 euros on steam summer sale so I'm pretty content with what I got for that price. 10+ is a pretty steep price for such a short game though. I would still recommend buying it from summer sale. Expand
  66. Jul 20, 2013
    A great short game with amazing music and artwork. I enjoyed the narrator who tells your story as you play. There are a decent amount of weapons that can all be customized to your individual play style. You also have the ability to adjust the difficulty in a variety of ways which is interesting. It's basically a hack and slash game, but it's really really well done. Enjoy!
  67. Jul 19, 2013
    I've heard nothing but good things about Bastion, so I had to try it for myself. I was skeptical, but the narration, voice acting, art, music and gameplay all came together for a really immersive experience. It was super fun and I have very, very few complaints. One of the best games I've played in a long time.
  68. Jul 15, 2013
    Overall, I found bastion to be a pleasurable experience playing it but there were some key parts of the story and gameplay which I found to be very annoying and results in me only giving this a 7. Some of those things are the narration that was very limited at some important times and way too unnecessary at others. The somersaulting in the game is not very well programmed and I believeOverall, I found bastion to be a pleasurable experience playing it but there were some key parts of the story and gameplay which I found to be very annoying and results in me only giving this a 7. Some of those things are the narration that was very limited at some important times and way too unnecessary at others. The somersaulting in the game is not very well programmed and I believe that it could've been so much better. Overall, it was a great game but I believe that it could've been better with some little changes. Expand
  69. Jul 15, 2013
    Beautiful and fresh, this top-down Action RPG keeps you moving through a beautifully expressed story and wonderful atmosphere. The narrator motivates you and drives you to hear the next bit of the story as it unfolds while you are are playing. Unlike many modern games, this game has an immense amount of replay value with the various 'difficulty' idols you can activate and a new game mode.Beautiful and fresh, this top-down Action RPG keeps you moving through a beautifully expressed story and wonderful atmosphere. The narrator motivates you and drives you to hear the next bit of the story as it unfolds while you are are playing. Unlike many modern games, this game has an immense amount of replay value with the various 'difficulty' idols you can activate and a new game mode. Wonderfully fun, pick Bastion up; you'll be pleased with this one. Expand
  70. Jul 13, 2013
    I loved this game, it didn't have any amazing gameplay mechanics (the gameplay is very solid still), but the mood the whole game set was beautiful. The soundtrack is one of the best I can remember to a game, and there was something special about the narrator. Once I unlocked a couple of weapons, I really started having a blast with the gameplay too. It's around 5-7 hours long for aI loved this game, it didn't have any amazing gameplay mechanics (the gameplay is very solid still), but the mood the whole game set was beautiful. The soundtrack is one of the best I can remember to a game, and there was something special about the narrator. Once I unlocked a couple of weapons, I really started having a blast with the gameplay too. It's around 5-7 hours long for a playthrough, but you can probably run through again with a higher difficulty if you want. Expand
  71. Jun 18, 2013
    Bastoin is a very enjoyable indie game with a big heart. You can really feel that the creators put their emotions into the art, story, soundtrack etc. What really makes the game stand out is the Narrator. Some may find him grating, but I and many others find him to be a very interesting way to give us the narrative of the game. I'll put it this way, could you listen to an audiobook about aBastoin is a very enjoyable indie game with a big heart. You can really feel that the creators put their emotions into the art, story, soundtrack etc. What really makes the game stand out is the Narrator. Some may find him grating, but I and many others find him to be a very interesting way to give us the narrative of the game. I'll put it this way, could you listen to an audiobook about a game while playing a game. If that seems even vaguely interesting you might like it, but if that sounds annoying then maybe you should pass as the narrator is always there.
    The gameplay for me is a bit of a miss, but many people like it. It blends a top down rpg with some hack and slash elements. For me, it got a bit bland as I'm not a particular fan of such games(but the narrator kept me going) but for some it, and the great customization can make the game fun even if they dislike the narrator.
    Again the visuals in the game. Very pretty. That's about all I can say, as that is all I could think.
    The soundtrack is lovely and I think really help the narration flow.
    The story while may seem rather convoluted at first, can be rather intriguing if you listen to the narrator enough, and do all the bonus missions.
    I'm not going to spoil anything, but the ending bit is rather emotional, well, for a game of this caliber at least.
    In the end, I really think that the narrator is the deciding factor in many peoples enjoyment of the game. So if you would like it, then definitely play it. Heck, if the gameplay sounds interesting enough, give it a go if it's on sale.
  72. Jun 16, 2013
    This game started out excellently with a great aesthetic, music, narrator and a certain depth to the combat. All the pieces came together for an amazing experience. This goes on for around ten or more levels then the gameplay peaks and becomes tedious. You fight wave after wave of enemies that you block or dodge or die. This would be fine except that it goes on for ten or more wavesThis game started out excellently with a great aesthetic, music, narrator and a certain depth to the combat. All the pieces came together for an amazing experience. This goes on for around ten or more levels then the gameplay peaks and becomes tedious. You fight wave after wave of enemies that you block or dodge or die. This would be fine except that it goes on for ten or more waves without respite. You fight the same enemies over and over again. The exact same fight, over and over. This highlighted the lack of depth in the combat system which killed the game for me, I didn’t want to play it again and I don’t care what happens to characters or the world the developers created. The whole experience came apart. Bastion was so well polished, right up until it wasn’t, at all. The keyboard/mouse combo was broken, so I played with a controller. 6/10 for half a good game. Expand
  73. May 12, 2013
    Game is simply put the best indie game I have ever played. I thought the art style was amazing and the story was immersive and original. The narration was something new and different and added the perfect touch.
  74. Apr 28, 2013
    With an intriguing and greatly narrated plot, Bastion is a cozy game that emanates creativity. It features a flexible ability assignment system that enables the player to adapt the starring 's skills to his game play style (or to in-game specific situations). One aspect that is worth mention is the difficulty regulation system of the game, that gives the player freedom to choose howWith an intriguing and greatly narrated plot, Bastion is a cozy game that emanates creativity. It features a flexible ability assignment system that enables the player to adapt the starring 's skills to his game play style (or to in-game specific situations). One aspect that is worth mention is the difficulty regulation system of the game, that gives the player freedom to choose how difficult will it be to beat down enemies, in exchange for a greater or lesser reward, of course! Expand
  75. Apr 28, 2013
    Overall a great game. Great graphics, narration, and game play. The story and concept of the game was also interesting. I gave it 9 because it was a little short and thought the character leveling could have been a little more intricate.
  76. Apr 17, 2013
    This game is a perfect example of an abstract concept well-executed. The little details sprinkled throughout the game such as artifacts, and the "Who Knows Where" reflections give so much life to the story that I was immersed. There's nothing complicated about Bastion and that's what makes it elegant. The story is, for the most part, simple and easy to follow, and focuses more on theThis game is a perfect example of an abstract concept well-executed. The little details sprinkled throughout the game such as artifacts, and the "Who Knows Where" reflections give so much life to the story that I was immersed. There's nothing complicated about Bastion and that's what makes it elegant. The story is, for the most part, simple and easy to follow, and focuses more on the emotional aspect. The art and soundtrack work to the games advantage here, and create a wonderful and immersive experience. The best part of Bastion is that everybody will take something different out of it. Some people will revel in the well-tuned hack and smash gameplay (side note: the game does a good job mixing up the combat system throughout the game and making the player feel powerful), some people will feel enchanted by the music and art, and others will be taken aback by the sheer emotional depth to the plot. There are just enough decisions throughout the game to make it interesting, and the quality of the ending is something all game developers should strive to emulate. I had goosebumps, if that's any indicator. Overall a spectacular game that deserves every bit of praise it gets. The primary downsides of it are that it can get a tad repetitive, depending on how often you switch up your weapons, and some players might be annoyed with one of the turns in the plot (I won't spoil anything). These faults are fairly minor though, and I had no problem cruising through this game in a state of total bliss. Very solid 9/10, Expand
  77. Apr 10, 2013
    The game is an absolute joy to play from its combat to its story. The combat sticks to the basics enough to be cohesive but is unique enough to stand on its own with fun little weapons each with an interesting twist. Not once did I see a weapon without a legitimate use and none seems inherently more powerful then each other. The story was interesting with a fantastic plot twist I actuallyThe game is an absolute joy to play from its combat to its story. The combat sticks to the basics enough to be cohesive but is unique enough to stand on its own with fun little weapons each with an interesting twist. Not once did I see a weapon without a legitimate use and none seems inherently more powerful then each other. The story was interesting with a fantastic plot twist I actually have not seen before. Coupled with the occasional vague line that has you thinking about it and wanting to know more makes it more engaging. During the First 'Who Knows Where' event when the narrator says "I hope I remember him" it stuck with me even while playing other games. Any game when I actually PLAY the newgame+ is a win since it clearly left enough of an impact that I would go through it again. Expand
  78. Apr 6, 2013
    Bastion is a fantastic and colorful game that tells a heartwarming story. The game revolves around the narrator, a likable figure that dictates your actions and voices the game's story. He is quite unique, and unlike other narrators in games like "Thomas Was Alone" or "The Stanley Parable". I honestly can't quite explain it, you would have to play the game for yourself to see it.

The

The gameplay is fun and even though animation isn't top-notch, you barely notice it. You have the ability to level-up, gaining new weapons and powers there's also plenty of secrets about the world to discover. Bastion's combat is fairly enjoyable and although challenging, it was not frustrating.

Bastion forms around the choices you make. This includes the narration. For instance, during the beginning of the game, (if you destroy enough items) you are told the classic line: "Kid just rages for a while." Some of the other choices are more influential, of course. I was proud and happy about some of my choices, but filled with dismay over others. (And such is life.)

Overall, this is one of the best indie games of all time. It's worth all $15, but if you wait long enough you can pick it up on sale (or in an indie bundle).

Bastion is great for everyone, no matter what you like in a game.
  79. Apr 6, 2013
    good music, fun gameplay. my problem with the narrator is that my mother language is not english so if i want to follow everythink he says i have to focus on the narrator or subtitles, if it would be translated into other language i would enjoy it a lot more.
  80. Apr 2, 2013
    An adorable game with an awesome concept and amazing art style. The real selling point for me however, was the narration of the story and the music. The music in this game is some of the best I have ever heard in a video game, many times I found myself just standing enjoying the track.
  81. Apr 1, 2013
    Bastion is one of the few games I've played in recent years that has actually had a thoughtful and intelligently designed story. The soundtrack is amazing, I loved the art style, and some people don't seem to like the combat system, I don't know why they don't honestly. I personally loved it. Perhaps they've already seen too much of that combat system. But it basically plays like a diabloBastion is one of the few games I've played in recent years that has actually had a thoughtful and intelligently designed story. The soundtrack is amazing, I loved the art style, and some people don't seem to like the combat system, I don't know why they don't honestly. I personally loved it. Perhaps they've already seen too much of that combat system. But it basically plays like a diablo hack and slash with some customization and upgrade options. But really this game isn't about the gameplay, it's about the story. And this game does what it's supposed to do VERY well. Expand
  82. Mar 31, 2013
    this game is the it is very touching, the different ending are fantastic, the art is beautiful. And OMFG, that god damn soundtrack, it is the bomb.
  83. Mar 19, 2013
    The game itself looked interesting and unique at first, but after playing a while I got bored. Never finished the game, there is no point. This game has graphics, great narrator's voice, but overall it is poorly designed.
  84. Mar 16, 2013
    Bastion is definitely a good game. No question about it but it isn't really a GREAT game. When it was released it was descended into the gaming world amid of ticker tape parade of hype. It did not live up to that hype at least not across the board. The gameplay, character development and plot are all good but like I said before none of them are great. The game is not without monotony,Bastion is definitely a good game. No question about it but it isn't really a GREAT game. When it was released it was descended into the gaming world amid of ticker tape parade of hype. It did not live up to that hype at least not across the board. The gameplay, character development and plot are all good but like I said before none of them are great. The game is not without monotony, the enemies aren't (by and large) particularly distinct, the multitude of weapons and attacks add something but that something isn't really that much fun, the plot is sort of vague and unnecessarily dark. The bosses, level designs and 'quests' feel pretty repetitive.

All that said what Bastion does do is bring a really novel and humanizing use of game narration and actual voice to transform its gameplay. The effect wears off after a few hours but having the narrator (who's voice I love) responding to the nuanced gameplay choices you make is truly fun. He will mock you if you are playing poorly or dawdling he will comment on your ingame successes and tell the elements of the story as they unfold around you. The other element of the game that really grabbed me and deserves mention is the manner in which the game world is 'constructed' around you. The levels assemble and disassemble themselves as you play in a way that is interesting and beautiful.

In closing Bastion is an interesting product and definitely worth a play through. It has incredibly innovative elements unfortunately none of those elements are truly central to the gameplay.
  85. Mar 7, 2013
    It is obvious the AAA gamers have started reviewing this game. If you play Bastion expecting it to be some big hit AAA game, then promptly play another game. Bastion is an indie masterpiece. The narrator is an extremely interesting mechanic in a game and provides a greater depth with the story behind Bastion. The story is deep and develops itself perfectly as the player progresses.It is obvious the AAA gamers have started reviewing this game. If you play Bastion expecting it to be some big hit AAA game, then promptly play another game. Bastion is an indie masterpiece. The narrator is an extremely interesting mechanic in a game and provides a greater depth with the story behind Bastion. The story is deep and develops itself perfectly as the player progresses. The combat system is very simple to grasp and play without difficulty. The weapons give a good deal of diversity for any type of player. While combat can get repetitive sometimes, the story telling beautiful scenery make up for it.

In terms of difficulty, the normal game is quite easy without the in game shrines. These shrines resemble skulls in the Halo franchise, making the game more challenging in exchange for more exp. With all 10 shrines active, the difficulty of the game is suitable for the more hardcore gamers. Overall, this game is an incredible buy if it goes on seam sales. Even without a sale, the price is worth the material. For a 5-15 dollar indie game, you get your money's worth. Bastion will keep you busy for a strong 10-20 hours at the least. Again, this game isn't a big AAA game, so don't expect it to conform to the norm.
  86. Mar 5, 2013
    Bastion is an exquisite game in all aspects. Story, art and game play.
    Bastion is an exquisite game in all aspects. Story, art and game play.
    A beautiful and impeccably told tale of loss and hope that will conduct you through pretty much all the emotional spectrum thanks to one of the best written narrations on any media, rendered in an equally formidable palette with one of the most attractive looking cartoon styles you may hope to find in a game at present times.
    Guiding you across the lavish visual landscape is another "character" of similar beauty and importance as are the graphics and your trusty weapons: The music. The music in Bastion is as necessary to the story and the game as is your character or the narrator.
    With the uncomplicated game mechanic and goals of, let's say, a platformer, Bastion (a weapon's RPG) manages to involve you emotionally in ways usually reserved for Adventure Games or large RPGs, thanks to its well crafted cast, presented to the player during the course of the game by well-timed brushstrokes of "sensations" instead of lengthy descriptions. A feat that is even more laudable since we get at best a few one-liners about each of them interspersed along the story.
    The game changes fast and frequently enough to always keep you interested on what is taking place at the moment and curious of what may be about to happen. Interesting weapons, potions and special skills make for a truly unforgettable experience that has "replayability" etched on every lost stone of Caelandia you recover.
    I think I've kissed Bastion's ass enough to make it redundant to say that I fully recommend it.
    d(^_^)b
  87. Feb 25, 2013
    as close to perfect as you will get in this generation. a great story; enough choices with weapons and with the story goes. And the original soundtrack pushes it over the edge.

You can get it dirt cheap anywhere and it's well worth the money.
  88. Feb 19, 2013
    One of the best games of 2011. Great story, fun gameplay, beautiful 2d graphics, great music. It's so good, you might even want to play the game a 2nd time with the New Game+. At least try out the demo if you haven't!
  89. Feb 18, 2013
    This is the best game i have played in around 6 years or more. I have been looking for a game with that solid RPG feel; this one did it for me. The last ones I remember were a few Zelda games, maybe Pokemon, Earthbound, or Crystalis. Make sure you play it with a controller otherwise the auto target feature can get annoying which would probably explain some of the lower reviews. BetweenThis is the best game i have played in around 6 years or more. I have been looking for a game with that solid RPG feel; this one did it for me. The last ones I remember were a few Zelda games, maybe Pokemon, Earthbound, or Crystalis. Make sure you play it with a controller otherwise the auto target feature can get annoying which would probably explain some of the lower reviews. Between that and the narrator this game gets a 10. This made a place in my top 5 favorite games for sure! Expand
  90. Feb 12, 2013
    Bastion is a great example of what a complete video game should be: great fun factor, gameplay, controls, music, scenery, and diversity in items as well as enemies. The story line is very simple, the game obviously wants you to focus on the gameplay. Now I am probably one of few that did not find much replay value in the game, though it is set up to be replayed many times, so IF you endBastion is a great example of what a complete video game should be: great fun factor, gameplay, controls, music, scenery, and diversity in items as well as enemies. The story line is very simple, the game obviously wants you to focus on the gameplay. Now I am probably one of few that did not find much replay value in the game, though it is set up to be replayed many times, so IF you end up liking this game, then it will deliver its value ten fold. Expand
  91. Feb 5, 2013
    I will keep this as short as possible:

Buy this game. Period. It's an amazing hack'n'slash type of game that will steal your heart in a matter of minutes. I loved playing it from the beginning 'till the end. The narrative is AMAZING. The story line is UNFORGETTABLE. I made a Metacritic account just to write a review for this game. It has a GREAT VARIETY of weapons and secret skills
    I will keep this as short as possible:

Buy this game. Period.

It's an amazing hack'n'slash type of game that will steal your heart in a matter of minutes. I loved playing it from the beginning 'till the end. The narrative is AMAZING. The story line is UNFORGETTABLE. I made a Metacritic account just to write a review for this game. It has a GREAT VARIETY of weapons and secret skills that you can use. Each weapon has 5 upgrades for itself and each upgrade tier has 2 options to choose from so the options are more than enough to keep you entertained. The soundtracks for this game is also absolutely breath taking. I've downloaded them all and like to chill and listen to them sometimes.

The absolute BEST THING about this game is the ending. You will LOVE IT; I guarantee it. I can't express enough how much this game simply blew me away with the ending. I almost broke a tear. It was a great accomplishment to have finished this game and an honor. I got this game for around $5 or so when it was on discount a while ago. I'm absolutely shocked how a game this amazing can cost that much. I would honestly pay a lot more for it.

Buy it. You will not regret.
  92. Feb 3, 2013
    Incredible game, every time I play Indie games like this one, I really hate the big companies. So much fun, and an AMAZING sound truck. YOU MUST PLAY IT
  93. Jan 29, 2013
    There's a lot of people saying they can't understand why it has so many good reviews. The answer is simple, they can't follow a story even if it's spoon-fed to them.
    This game is all about the story, and it's a great one. The gameplay and graphics are great for an indie game, but can't compete against more budgeted games of course. But the story is far ahead of mainstream games, it made me remember Diablo 1 and made me feel like a child again :D
  94. Jan 26, 2013
    I liked the concept, characters, story and audio (soundtrack and voice acting) for Bastion much more than I liked it in other AAA titles. It's a simple game, but well made and carefully tuned. It's immersive and really has a way of creating an atmosphere. I found very little glitches (i think all of them were in the AI pathfinding), and the reason why I'm giving it a 9 is because theI liked the concept, characters, story and audio (soundtrack and voice acting) for Bastion much more than I liked it in other AAA titles. It's a simple game, but well made and carefully tuned. It's immersive and really has a way of creating an atmosphere. I found very little glitches (i think all of them were in the AI pathfinding), and the reason why I'm giving it a 9 is because the character movement and fighting are often annoying Expand
  95. Jan 24, 2013
    Beautiful musically and visually. Interesting combat system that continuously challenges you. Great story all the way through as well as fantastic narration. Still, the best part of the game was the incredible music.
  96. Jan 21, 2013
    With beautiful and eye popping visuals and with a cool narration to go with it, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game. Unlocking some really cool weapons as you go along the levels, being able to hold two at a time and also being able to unleash a special ability. What really made me indulge into the game was it's sheer simplicity, the more you play the more you want to go on. It isWith beautiful and eye popping visuals and with a cool narration to go with it, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game. Unlocking some really cool weapons as you go along the levels, being able to hold two at a time and also being able to unleash a special ability. What really made me indulge into the game was it's sheer simplicity, the more you play the more you want to go on. It is not a very long game but the experience is worth it. Yes, yes, you could say the game is easy, I've heard that numerous times before. But that is only a small problem as you could add shrines to increase the games difficulty.
    All in all, A really great indie game, a must have.
  97. Jan 19, 2013
    I played this game for 3 hours. It's a beautiful game, with a great soundtrack and good voice-overs. But gameplay is shallow at best. Everything you do in the first 15 minutes is everything you'll for the rest of the time. And it ain't much. It's not an RPG at all. It's more like a top-down isometric shooter/hack and slash. There's no reason to get this game with so many more interestingI played this game for 3 hours. It's a beautiful game, with a great soundtrack and good voice-overs. But gameplay is shallow at best. Everything you do in the first 15 minutes is everything you'll for the rest of the time. And it ain't much. It's not an RPG at all. It's more like a top-down isometric shooter/hack and slash. There's no reason to get this game with so many more interesting games out there. Expand
  98. Jan 13, 2013
    This game is the best game I have ever played.
    It's story has deep themes embedded within and the delivery, with its smooth narrator, makes it all the better. It's a story with genuine twists and the game is definitely conscious of your actions and expects you to be in turn.
    This game is the best game I have ever played.
    The game is absolutely beautiful. All the environments are hand painted and this, at least in my opinion, should become more widely used. However, painted pictures means less free movement of terrain and some enemies, who only grow and shrink to show action.
    The soundtrack is both daring and ingenious. A banjo and an electric guitar have never gone so well together.
    The gameplay is absolutely brilliant. even though some may say it is too easy, Bastion allows you to scale its difficulty in certain aspects at one time, making it easy to find a challenge that isn't impossible.

To conclude: this game is for people who enjoy games as a media; a way to tell a story and entertain, not as mindless violence. This is a game to appreciate like art. In my book, this is a masterpiece.

99. Jan 12, 2013
    A very pretty game built on a foundation of simple game-play and campfire-like storytelling. If you're a plot driven player, this is a great game to buy. If you require a little more challenge, the game has built in modifiers that let you customize your difficulty level to your liking. Would have been better if all character animation was hand drawn to match the style of the level design.A very pretty game built on a foundation of simple game-play and campfire-like storytelling. If you're a plot driven player, this is a great game to buy. If you require a little more challenge, the game has built in modifiers that let you customize your difficulty level to your liking. Would have been better if all character animation was hand drawn to match the style of the level design. Looks like 3D animation in a painterly world. Expand
  100. Jan 9, 2013
    This game left me confused. It has nice, lush graphics, some fun enemies and a beautiful world to roam through. The story is somewhat convoluted but very well conveied (although I personally feel the narrative style does get old after a while). The weapon system is an interesting one and has got lots of upgrades. But just when you're fully upgraded, levelled up etc. the game ends. Why? WhyThis game left me confused. It has nice, lush graphics, some fun enemies and a beautiful world to roam through. The story is somewhat convoluted but very well conveied (although I personally feel the narrative style does get old after a while). The weapon system is an interesting one and has got lots of upgrades. But just when you're fully upgraded, levelled up etc. the game ends. Why? Why only 20 small scaled levels, not including the weapon upgrade levels? Sure, you can start all over again and you can keep your stuff and level up even further, but there's no real point to me if it doesn't bring me any new surroundings or storyline as a reward. It's no fun repeating the levels AND hearing the same old story over and over again just with higher difficulty (so I probably should have made thing more challenging to myself BEFORE I knew how short this game was? The map looked big enough for more challenges). This game could have been awesome if it would at least include some sort of level editor so that the users can provide each other with more, different levels. Now it's just a bit unsatisfying to me. I enjoyed my 6 hours of gameplay very much, but it's not enough. Needs more levels. Expand

1. Jan 24, 2012
    It's a highly polished, bug-free bundle of fun and at $15, it's a steal. Kudos to Supergiant Games.
    Visually stunning independent action RPG impresses you with a captivating world but will disappoint you with a dull and boring combat system. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Bastion hides a fun traditional gameplay under gorgeous and innovative visuals, that on the long run could come short in variety.