8.7

1. Aug 7, 2011
    An excellent game in all aspects! I'm not a huge Batman fan, but this game was so polished that I could see myself getting into the Batman world. As the name suggests, your Batman at the Arkham Asylum, returning the Joker for the umpteenth time, when he breaks free and all hell breaks loose. The inmates are released and you need to work your way through several notable characters beforeAn excellent game in all aspects! I'm not a huge Batman fan, but this game was so polished that I could see myself getting into the Batman world. As the name suggests, your Batman at the Arkham Asylum, returning the Joker for the umpteenth time, when he breaks free and all hell breaks loose. The inmates are released and you need to work your way through several notable characters before facing the Joker and his intricate plot. Some of the popular characters like the Penguin, Catwoman, Twoface, and Mr. Freeze are not in the game at all, but this was a great decision as to separate the game from the not so great movies. The story flows and is interesting and I never felt like I was doing meaningless tasks just to advance the story. Everything was connected. The graphics look great and run smoothly, I never got any stuttering even when entering a new level. Audio was just what you would expect from a Batman game, everything sounded in place. From the whiz of the grapple gun to the swish of the cape. They even got some great voice actors for the cast. Batman is Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill as the Joker, and Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn. These actors were from the animated cartoon series I watched from the early to mid 90's and to recognize and hear their voices just as they sounded almost 20 years ago really took me back. Those are the ones that stand out, but all of the voice acting was done well. The gameplay focuses on mostly taking down inmates but there is also a search and explore aspect. When attacking you chain together combo hits as well as countering incoming attacks. You also have several scenarios where you will have to use stealth to incapacitate thugs with guns. You can sneak up from behind and do a silent takedown as well as hang from a statue and do an inverted takedown. The combo system works well and as you gain experience you gain the abilities of an instant takedown or picking up a prisoner and using him as a projectile after connecting 5 combo hits. The controls are a bit of an issue here. When throwing a enemy you have to use the wasd controls to direct him instead of the mouse. So even if you have a shot lined up you have to direct it and it just gets confusing when your in the heat of battle. I wound up not using the throw for most of the game because of this. For the takedown you press shift and right click but you have a pretty short window of opportunity to do so and the right click is also bound as an aiming mechanism for your gadgets. So I when trying to do a takedown or contering a punch, sometimes I would be aiming my batarang for a second and then getting hit messing up my combos. These problems might be solved by using a controller but I don't have the Xbox360 controller listed in the control config and I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up one with a PS2 controller with an adapter. The explore and collect part of the game is initiated by The Riddler who has hidden question mark trophies and puzzles across the island. The puzzles come in the form of riddles that you take "pictures" of using the detective mode to have a high tech look at your surroundings Collecting these will unlock character bios and detailed character trophies that you can look at from the main menu. There are also Arkham plaques that tell more of the history of the island and how it came to be an institution. All in all, this was a fantastic game and I highly recommend it. Even at full price you get your monies worth which is not something I felt like I have gotten in a long time. Expand
  2. JC
    Jan 5, 2010
    Waaaaay too many 10s on this list for my liking. A 10 is a perfect game that hits all the buttons and while Batman: Arkham Asylum is a really great game it does have its drawbacks. The combat is fluid and smooth, as well as the movement, grapple and gliding. The Graphics are great, the combos are excellently scripted and executed and the boss battles are unique. The game has tons of Waaaaay too many 10s on this list for my liking. A 10 is a perfect game that hits all the buttons and while Batman: Arkham Asylum is a really great game it does have its drawbacks. The combat is fluid and smooth, as well as the movement, grapple and gliding. The Graphics are great, the combos are excellently scripted and executed and the boss battles are unique. The game has tons of minigamers to enjoy, including riddler challenges and extra fight content as well as other stuff. Now for my small criticisms and why the game doesnt deserve a 10. One, the use of the detective skill is somewhat demeaning. They arent mysteries, more like follow this here, take picture, move on, Batman thinks through the rest. My 2nd qualm is the xray type vision you get. This is the single most exploitative and useful piece of equipment in the game. I love it and I hate it. It makes those beautiful takedowns too easy and I am always aware of everyone else's presence in a room. This really diminishes from the feectiveness of the challenge. Most people would say "Wlel just dont use it", but its there. I dont agree with the assessment on the voice acting as the cold comments made by Batman and the great liners made by Joker and Harley were amusing. As well, I must defend this game from the idea of no-multiplayer. What doyou want, Joker fighting Batman in 1v1? Team plays? A multiplayer for this game would have been no more then a cheesy gimmick. My only other qualm was that the storyline was somewhat short. However, this isnt the fallback of the game, its more the experience of the gamer. People new to games or whom like to take this time could easily rack up 6-12 hours of gameplay while the traditional and experienced gamer could probably navigate the game in one sitting of 4-5 hours. However, thats only a minor drawback but it would have been fun to see more content. I hope that the sequel will be of as good quality. Expand
  3. HenrikH
    Sep 26, 2009
    Arkham Asylum is a decent game, but so clearly a console port that its scores are overrated on PC. The porting is most obvious in the boss fights, when Mr. B. just doesn't do what you want him to do, standing/walking etc. when he is supposed to jump away.
  4. CraigS
    Dec 23, 2009
    while the single player only is the only disappointment. This is an epic game and one of he best if not the best super hero game.
  5. Vix
    Nov 7, 2009
    Simply the most fun I've had in a long time. Played it through three times now (well first time I didn't finish but that's thanks to the silly games for windows live losing my profile). My only gripe - would have been nice to grapple while in mid-air for a more fluid Batman experience! Still - worth every cent!
  6. Apr 16, 2011
    Batman Arkham Asylum opens with several minutes of a glorious cut scene. It can't be skipped. And I've seen it three times and still not been bored. In fact, this reminds me of what makes this game so good; you never have to see the same scene more than three times in a row. As an action adventure, it is so well balanced, I never died more than three times in a scene.Batman Arkham Asylum opens with several minutes of a glorious cut scene. It can't be skipped. And I've seen it three times and still not been bored. In fact, this reminds me of what makes this game so good; you never have to see the same scene more than three times in a row. As an action adventure, it is so well balanced, I never died more than three times in a scene.

7. Jul 31, 2011
    One of the best games I've played in a long time. The story is fun, expansive, in-depth, and well crafted. You come in with many encounters from many of DC's most infamous, and unique super villains. The story took me about 12 hours to complete, and I still am having fun beating my scores in challenge mode and finding more secrets. I would defiantly recommend this game to anyone.
  8. Jul 27, 2011
    This game is a classic. It´s a perfect mix of action, stealth, and puzzles. The story is great, graphics are still amazing(speaking july 2011) and gameplay blew me away. Just get this game, you won´t regret it.
  9. Aug 1, 2011
    Il gioco è veramente bello e ben realizzato. Sia il comparto grafico che quello sonoro risultano molto curati. La caratterizzazione dei personaggi è curata fino al più piccolo dettaglio (le battute di joker sono imperdibili).
    Il gioco risulta "massiccio" in ogni sua componente.
    L'unica pecca è che si rischia di passare la maggior parte del
    Il gioco risulta "massiccio" in ogni sua componente.
    L'unica pecca è che si rischia di passare la maggior parte del tempo in modalità "detective" perdendo così buona parte delle bellezze che il motore grafico e gli scenari, interni ed esterni, offrono.
    Da avere nella propria raccolta di giochi.
  10. Sep 15, 2011
    What is the best in this game? It's first game that win fight against movie - i mean ,,The Dark Knight" hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  11. Oct 30, 2013
    Great graphics. Love the sandbox environment and a strong storyline for the backbone as well. Love the different gadgets and are plenty to actually feel like it's a full utility belt. Also the easter eggs are a big enough bonus to make then worth going after. The only real knock is that I find the fighting system a slight bit cumbersome and sluggish. Maybe it's my system. Maybe not. Once IGreat graphics. Love the sandbox environment and a strong storyline for the backbone as well. Love the different gadgets and are plenty to actually feel like it's a full utility belt. Also the easter eggs are a big enough bonus to make then worth going after. The only real knock is that I find the fighting system a slight bit cumbersome and sluggish. Maybe it's my system. Maybe not. Once I try it on my new system I will either bump this score to a 10 or leave it at a 9 if nothing changes. Expand
  12. Jan 14, 2013
    This was as good as a Batman movie. Many say no actor can rival Ledger in the role of the Joker and I agreed with them, but after seeing Joker in Arkham asylum it forced me to reconsider. The characters are captivating and have benefited from 50 or so years of festering in the Batman universe. I am far from being a Batman fan but this is simply a great game in too many ways to ignore.This was as good as a Batman movie. Many say no actor can rival Ledger in the role of the Joker and I agreed with them, but after seeing Joker in Arkham asylum it forced me to reconsider. The characters are captivating and have benefited from 50 or so years of festering in the Batman universe. I am far from being a Batman fan but this is simply a great game in too many ways to ignore. Using the myriad of gadgets is fun as is the combat that is very responsive and allows you to string together combos with many moves. The stealth sequences where you have to take down armed thugs strategically especially impressed me. The game was however quite short (10 hours), there is DRM in the form of Windows Live, and progressing through the game's "puzzles" (i.e. rooms) is too easy. An all around extremely polished game that sets the bar high. Expand
  13. Aug 4, 2012
    Excellent game, brings a lot of innovating aspects for his time in gameplay and many other aspects, interesting idea for a sandbox game and offers a wide range of activities before you can actually san you done it totally.
  14. Aug 5, 2012
    Arkham Asylum is probably the best game I've ever played. I wasn't a Batman fan before I played this, but I am now. It truly makes the player feel like Batman, and brings out everything good about his character. The supervillians, so often portrayed as ridiculous parodies, feel like real people, tragically transformed into horrendous monsters that you must defeat. The gameplay is alsoArkham Asylum is probably the best game I've ever played. I wasn't a Batman fan before I played this, but I am now. It truly makes the player feel like Batman, and brings out everything good about his character. The supervillians, so often portrayed as ridiculous parodies, feel like real people, tragically transformed into horrendous monsters that you must defeat. The gameplay is also amazing, smartly alternating between stealth, brawling, and other paradigms so that the game never gets boring. Fighting feels completely natural and looks beautiful. The game is extremely challenging on the highest difficulty, yet I never felt like I was cheated whenever I died; I only failed when I made a mistake. The game's only two faults are repetitive boss fights and the Windows Live requirement. Besides those two minor gripes, I cannot imagine a better game. Expand
  15. Jul 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life! With action, collectibles and challenge stages, this game is packed to the rim with entertainment! No matter where you were in the story, you were always having fun. Whether you were punching criminals, running from Killer Croc, taking out bad guys silently, defeating Poison Ivy or chasing the Joker, you were never bored in this phenomenon of a game! To put it simply, this game is a masterpiece! You ARE Batman in this game! Expand
  16. Oct 29, 2012
    This is by far one of the greatest batman games ever made, with amazing voice action, controls, combat, graphics, music and story, this game is a must for any batman fan. this game truly makes you feel like the dark knight.
  17. Dec 31, 2012
    As a standalone game, it is truly brilliant, although it does have some noticeable flaws. However, I would recommend Arkham City, its successor, over this because it surpasses it on nearly every level.
    I am hardly the world's greatest Batman fan, so I was cautious at first, but I found the game absolutely stunning. It has a very solid overall feel to it in that it is very polished and the gameplay is tight. It simply never lets itself up at any point. The story is engaging (though I personally preferred Arkham City's), the stealth mechanics are excellent, the missions are designed very well, and the voice acting is top notch (Star Wars fans should take note that Mark Hamill seems to be speaking half the time you're playing). More importantly, though, it makes you feel like Batman. You can take on loads of enemies in a brawl, use a small variety of gadgets to help you through the levels, yet you are not invincible - this means you have to use Batman's traditional stealth in order to take on armed enemies.
    The combat system, though good, can be frustrating at times, because the counter mechanic feels very broken. Thankfully, it is fixed in Arkham City and your problems of failing to counter when clicking the button are all gone. Another problem I found in this game - though many may not care - is that it is very linear. Another combat problem is that taking on enemies from a high point, or from underground, is broken as a result of this being a PC port - I have the game on PS3 as well, and it works fine on that. Again, this is all fixed in Arkham City, so the cool takedowns where you pop up from underground and grab an enemy, or when you hang an enemy from a ledge, are back in the sequel. There are no side missions at all and there is no open world feel, despite you having the ability to wander around the island as you wish. I guess I'm just a fan of non-linear games, so Arkham City's sidequests and exploration are of much appeal to me.
    Ultimately, this is a fantastic game but has a few important flaws. All is solved in the sequel, so if you must choose between the two I'd go for the second one. Regardless, this game is top quality.
  18. Feb 7, 2013
    Just awesome The story is correct, Action, platform, research and all keep the spirit of the comic. Even today, graphisms are totally correct. Fights are incredible. Batman moves are just great. This is a title to get and today for a chip price
  19. Feb 12, 2013
    an excellent game, who does not love to play as a superhero that actually relies on wits and equipments rather than superpowers... well, the graphics are great, and overall presentation is outstanding. from the opening to the end. i have not messed with the 3d vision for this game but thats just another reason to play it some more. even if not a batman fan, it is still an awesome game froman excellent game, who does not love to play as a superhero that actually relies on wits and equipments rather than superpowers... well, the graphics are great, and overall presentation is outstanding. from the opening to the end. i have not messed with the 3d vision for this game but thats just another reason to play it some more. even if not a batman fan, it is still an awesome game from a 3rd person action platforming aspect. the combat system is really fun to play with, and the slow motion '300' inspired deaths are cool. the story is obviously about batman, and his capture of the joker, his arch nemesis. mostly the story revolves around those two, and who has the endurance to fight to the end. overall, great game and ranked any lower than 9 would be an insult. Expand
  20. Apr 26, 2013
    The first of an amazing series of batman games. I can say, a family of piece of art.
    Wonderful, the gameplay is simple and smart. You have to be very strategic to achieve the goals.
  21. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is amazing, there is no reason that you shouldn't get it. Its overall an amazing game that takes you by surprise. With the current Humble Bundle, you get this game for as low as a dollar.
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is really fun but Windows Live is terrible to navigate through and because of a glitch in windows live i could never save the game it would always go the beginning so i had to play all in one insane session. Because of that 5/10 otherwise it would have been 9/10.
  23. Apr 28, 2011
    I was wary in the buying of this game. Checked some youtube clips... looked interesting... One word, wow!

I stuck this one out to the end, well, the end of the story that is- and, what a ride! You ARE Batman! The one think that grabbed me, was the actual atmosphere. It brought the feeling of the newer Batman movies closer and sucked me RIGHT in! Punch, combo, boom, get the baddies

The one think that grabbed me, was the actual atmosphere. It brought the feeling of the newer Batman movies closer and sucked me RIGHT in! Punch, combo, boom, get the baddies from above, glide down THWACK!
    Upgrades are available for better armor, etc.. They didn't really feel like they had much of an effect, but some the weapons that are weened into your inventory as the game progresses kick ass ;>

Graphic-wise, this game really shines. I'm not too sure how it looks on a non-nvidia card (the game uses the .. uhm Nvidia graphics ... physics thing to enhance smoke and adds tile effects), but even without the extra physics- it plays VERY well.

As BenW mentioned in his review, "Definitely the best Batman game out there". The others that Ive played outside this one are pretty cack. (not tried the Sun Tzu one tho!)

+ Graphics
    + Plays very well
    + Batman

- Fights get a little repetitive as the story draws to an end
  24. BenW
    Nov 15, 2009
    Definitely the best Batman game out there. I was lured by the high scores this game achieved in the reviews as I normally avoid syndicated games like the plague. However this game is good, the graphics and atmospherics as exciting and very DC comics. The animations are excellent and the backdrop enguaging. The game play however is good, but inflexible and linear. Once youve played the Definitely the best Batman game out there. I was lured by the high scores this game achieved in the reviews as I normally avoid syndicated games like the plague. However this game is good, the graphics and atmospherics as exciting and very DC comics. The animations are excellent and the backdrop enguaging. The game play however is good, but inflexible and linear. Once youve played the game for a few hours, you get the idea. The setup with its central area and riddler clues to pick up is a bit like Tony Hawks skating for Batman fans. Its good, but its not Half-life 2. Expand
  25. NathenS.
    Oct 12, 2009
    This game doesn't come close to being "over rated" by any means at all. The high scores are well deserved and you can't go wrong with as far as i'm concerned the original batman's animated voice actors. And not to be a critic of a critic but I found the controls to be very simple from the start and the scarecrow area of the game may have been found tedious by some but This game doesn't come close to being "over rated" by any means at all. The high scores are well deserved and you can't go wrong with as far as i'm concerned the original batman's animated voice actors. And not to be a critic of a critic but I found the controls to be very simple from the start and the scarecrow area of the game may have been found tedious by some but I thought it gave it a classic feel in overcoming an old foe of batman. Also remarks about the AI in terms of the enemy not being able to see batman when hes right in front of them at times, but really? It's the Dark Knight and when combined with I don't know darkness he shouldnt be to easy to spot. Another possibility to such a minor complaint could possibly be to an easy gameplay setting, the AI will tend to look like an idiot in such cases. Expand
  26. Oct 27, 2010
    This is a fantastic game. I liked every single moment what i`ve spent playing this game!
  27. ColbyA.
    Jan 6, 2010
    I have a hard time rating this game, because I find it utterly boring - like most console games. But, in all honestly, it's good for what it is. Graphics are good, it's true to Batman as a character (i.e. he doesn't kill anyone, just KO's them), and it has a bunch of fun gadgets to use. My complaints with the game, however, are that it focuses to much on boring, I have a hard time rating this game, because I find it utterly boring - like most console games. But, in all honestly, it's good for what it is. Graphics are good, it's true to Batman as a character (i.e. he doesn't kill anyone, just KO's them), and it has a bunch of fun gadgets to use. My complaints with the game, however, are that it focuses to much on boring, repetative collection side-quests (that are often ridiculously difficult to solve), some of the boss fights are unfair and unbalanced (and often tricks aren't explained until you miraculously figure them out after dying 20 times), and regular combat is reptative and you are forced into VERY unbalanced fights with no weapons other than your fists against 5 or more enemies. There are a number of choke points I ran into where I simply couldn't get past 5 to 8 enemies that all attacked me at once because mastering the fighting system is a challenge for all but the most veteran of players with all but the fastest reflexes. Difficulty curve was, simply, a little to challenging. I also really, really, really hate completing a section and being forced to revisit it for an old gadget that was impossible to access the first time through, or simply to try and track down a boss for a third time. Revisiting old sections is really boring, and you have to do it ALOT with this game. Expand
  28. JeffA
    Nov 27, 2009
    Great looking, but I got bored with it. Totally linear, repetetive - buttom mashing dumb but cool looking combat. Overrated. Very consoley!
  29. Aug 12, 2010
    As a batman fan i have to say i felt like batman while i was playing this game. It' so obvious that this game has created with batman love. Graphics are extraordinary and voices are brilliant. And game is long enough "of course it's always not enough if you like this game" and you want to play it again. Combat system is different from the arcade games we are used to. It' so fun to kick 8As a batman fan i have to say i felt like batman while i was playing this game. It' so obvious that this game has created with batman love. Graphics are extraordinary and voices are brilliant. And game is long enough "of course it's always not enough if you like this game" and you want to play it again. Combat system is different from the arcade games we are used to. It' so fun to kick 8 henchmen's ass at the same time. Beating them in the hard mode without getting a single hit satisfies the player. And this game has given the needed worth to the gadgets. Predator rooms may be boring at the beginning but after some time it complicates and it becomes interesting and fun to play. Riddles expands the games playing time of course and they can become really challenging. Atmosphere of the game can lessen in the middle of the game but the game is interesting enough and something takes your interest somewhere else for sure. And the only downside of the game that i can find are cut-scenes. This game offers you to become batman himself. I can easily say this is the best hero game ever. Expand
  30. Aug 18, 2011
    On a whole this game is excellent. It gets you into the story and keeps you there until the game ends. I loved the controls even though I used an Xbox 360 controller on my PC. I would recommend this highly to anyone who wants a good single player action game.

My only real complaint is that someones I would get lost, and would have no idea where I needed to go. A couple times it did become frustrating. However, I still loved the story.
  31. Sep 5, 2011
    Batman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with itBatman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with it is the same problem I have with most comic book 'franchises' in that as it is a franchise there never seems to be an end, we know that batman is never going to die (if he did they will just bring him back to life), he will never totally defeat his enemies either, they will always come back again and again which does water down the story's significance. Recommened. Expand
  32. Dec 27, 2012
    What an awesome game! The story is fantastic, the gameplay is really good and you really can feel yourself entering the world of Batman. The villains are really well developed and the combat is very fun. The Riddle quests are really challenging too, and is a good thing to go out of the primary campaign objectives. Besides that is a huge evolution in the games of super-heroes in general.
  33. Sep 29, 2010
    Wow, now this is what a super hero game is supposed to be like (I'm talking to you Spiderman)! The game is likely the best game of the year and if you have not tried it, you really cannot go wrong - just trust me on this!!!
  34. Jan 6, 2011
    What can I say? This game brings back nostalgia. The voice acting is perfect, graphics are nice, gamplay is nicely deisgned. I have played this game 4 times because its that good. The only flaw that people would say is Games For Windows Live, as always. A problem that needs to not excist anymore.
  35. Mar 11, 2011
    It's just amazing. I bought it because of a temporary price drop on Steam and it's the best gaming suprise I've ever had. PC is the definitive platform and the gameplay is smooth and satisfying. You'll replay it at least twice. What started as a $10 whim is now on my all time best list and I've pre-ordered Arkham City.
  36. Jul 21, 2013
    I would like to clarify a few things for potential buyers (only reason you're reading this). This is a campaign/story type game with mild puzzle type elements. If you have played darksiders then you are in the right ballpark. I knew this was a campaign/story type game and I bought it anyway determined to play even though I am a sandbox kind of guy.

Bottom line, even as a marginal

Bottom line, even as a marginal batman fan (only batman I ever liked was Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel) you are going to get something out of this. The force that is Batman is communicated here but mostly graphically. For those of us who enjoy sandbox the gameplay is incredibly claustrophobic. But in a puzzle-like way which is why it works. At least for the gazillion people who gave it a 10 here. You get strung along in extremely linear fashion with some gratifying puzzle-like play in your attempts to complete level challenges and bosses. I can't really stress how claustrophobic progression is though. The gratification for completing this game is equivalent to reading a book. You want to complete the story rather than experience the awesome gameplay. And I guess thats what divides us gamers, those who want a mild challenge with more story and those who want an insane challenge with no story. So to sum up my review, if you know what type of gamer you are you should definitively know whether you will enjoy this game to the fullest, or not. If you are man enough to admit you are a softcore gamer and would enjoy this go for it. Otherwise steer clear because you will be filled with mostly, contempt.
  37. NateS
    Oct 6, 2009
    Probably one of the best games this year. Rocksteady studios has created an almost perfect super hero game and the spotlight is now shining on them. Everything from Freeflow combat to Silent takedowns makes you feel like you are in the dark knights boots. The replay value in this game is probably one of the best reasons to have this game. Silent Predator, and Freeflow combat challenges Probably one of the best games this year. Rocksteady studios has created an almost perfect super hero game and the spotlight is now shining on them. Everything from Freeflow combat to Silent takedowns makes you feel like you are in the dark knights boots. The replay value in this game is probably one of the best reasons to have this game. Silent Predator, and Freeflow combat challenges makes this game very replayable especially with leaderboards. Also the most recent free download content made it even better with an infinite freeflow combat challenge and an extra silent predator map. The only reason i didn't give this a perfect score is, 1. the A.I. isn't too bright. You could take someone out while you're in their peripheral vision and their partner would completely ignore you. 2. No manual save point. I would like to go back and fight bosses just for fun, but with the auto save feature once you're done a boss you won't see them until you run through the game again. If you are a fan of action, or even espionage games Batman: Arkham Asylum is definitely a must buy! Expand
  38. fuwaneko
    Jan 2, 2010
    Simply the best game in Batman series. And one of the best 2009 games, even better than almighty Modern Warfare 2. The game may be linear but it has very different gameplay at every level, so don't bother with other comments claiming boredom
  39. ScottP
    Jan 8, 2010
    This game is fantastic, with engaging graphics and cinematic combat. While the combat system appears simple at first, and is very accesible, it has a hidden depth. As you learn and gain experience in using it, you will find Batman's combat abilities increase substantially. If you love comic books, martial arts, or first person sneaker games generally, don't miss this one!
  40. Rashaantheamazing
    Mar 16, 2010
    I never played super hero themed games so I picked this one because I know Batman story a bit. I had bad expectations I was just very bored. But the game surprised me. Environment is interactive, boss fights are VERY well made, I loved how could I use the behemoths on my side. It was really-really fun. Voiceacting is good, graphics are extremely good BUT (and this is what is the biggest I never played super hero themed games so I picked this one because I know Batman story a bit. I had bad expectations I was just very bored. But the game surprised me. Environment is interactive, boss fights are VERY well made, I loved how could I use the behemoths on my side. It was really-really fun. Voiceacting is good, graphics are extremely good BUT (and this is what is the biggest pain for me) in the 90% of the game I had to use detective mode so I couldn't enjoy the fantastic visual world. Another thing: Batman is a pussy. :S It was very annoying when 3 armed thugs could shred me to bits if I confront them in the open. I wished I had an AK47 or something like that. OK Batman does not kill anyone but a tranqulizer gun would be very handy. All in all it was a nice game with a fair length. It was also enough, 2 last fights exhausted me completely. Nice game, I recommend it to anyone. Expand
  41. JoshM
    Oct 21, 2009
    After running out of games to play without being bored stiff, I decided to give this a whirl with the demo. I instantly loved it. The freeflow combat was clever and (usually) worked well, the stealth scenes were extremely fun and, even though I'm not a Batman fan, the story was great. Even after the story was finished, as it were, collecting the Riddler's riddles and trophies After running out of games to play without being bored stiff, I decided to give this a whirl with the demo. I instantly loved it. The freeflow combat was clever and (usually) worked well, the stealth scenes were extremely fun and, even though I'm not a Batman fan, the story was great. Even after the story was finished, as it were, collecting the Riddler's riddles and trophies added the fun. But the game had a few flaws in my eyes. The actual story mode including the riddles was very short and while this isn't too unbearable, the challenge modes are. While the stealth was fun, you feel you don't want to do it again because it would be too samey, but challenge mode is just redoing all the major stealth and combat scenes and I found it quite tedious. In summary, gameplay is great, graphics are good, storyline is OK due to its length. But for £30, I'm not sure if it was such a great idea to buy. Expand
  42. Ger
    Dec 8, 2009
    Best comic based / super-hero game this year. Very good story. Good replay vaule. Excellent character designs. Excellent voice acting. Worth buy.
  43. liltinel
    Sep 23, 2009
    Amazing game, I'm usually not a fan of this type of game but i did enjoyed every part of it. great ambiance, stunning animation , interesting scenario. i love how you can scare the crap out of joker's enchmens as you take them out one by one without being noticed , they start panicking and shooting at every little noise they ear and finally they run away from you instead of Amazing game, I'm usually not a fan of this type of game but i did enjoyed every part of it. great ambiance, stunning animation , interesting scenario. i love how you can scare the crap out of joker's enchmens as you take them out one by one without being noticed , they start panicking and shooting at every little noise they ear and finally they run away from you instead of fighting you. really a great game you wont regret your investment. Expand
  44. DarkwoofC
    Sep 24, 2009
    The best Batman game ever, very likely the best superhero game ever... Extremely well balanced gameplay between adventure, action and strategy with well designed camera angles, control schemes and in-game displays. One can actually feel that he's not playing Batman, but IS batman. Combat is top notch, the plot is linear in a scripted sense, but really open in the way one can choose The best Batman game ever, very likely the best superhero game ever... Extremely well balanced gameplay between adventure, action and strategy with well designed camera angles, control schemes and in-game displays. One can actually feel that he's not playing Batman, but IS batman. Combat is top notch, the plot is linear in a scripted sense, but really open in the way one can choose to approach it via multiple paths and playing with different tactics. Inclusion of the multiple foes from the Batman's Rogues Gallery into a single game does great, and does not upset the pacing and balance in the game, especially in contrast with most superhero movies that contains multiple villains. Lots of in-game references to the Batman mythology for the fans. There are even some Easter eggs for the acute observer. The overall experience this game has provided me is unmatched by anything I have played so far. In my opinion, easily the best game of all time. Expand
  45. RyanS
    Sep 29, 2009
    Batman Arkham Asylum is legendary. The combat system is awesome and the use of gadgets which is needed to defeat the asylums toughest crims makes the game even more legendary. But if there is one thing I love about this game is how stealthy Batman can be. You can silently take down people or hang them from a gargoyle allowing them to scream for help. Yes the game is only single player but Batman Arkham Asylum is legendary. The combat system is awesome and the use of gadgets which is needed to defeat the asylums toughest crims makes the game even more legendary. But if there is one thing I love about this game is how stealthy Batman can be. You can silently take down people or hang them from a gargoyle allowing them to scream for help. Yes the game is only single player but its a quality game and a lot of shops are already marking down the price of the game. SO end story if you are interested in Batman its worth buying for sure. P.S. The graphics are awesome but for ATI people out there you cant use the PhyX Engine by Nvidia. I have a Radeon 4870x2 and it KILLED my system! Expand
  46. MarcB
    Jan 13, 2010
    Incredible game. Was fun and satisfying to finish, great visuals, good controls, story is nice and interesting. If you like action games that get you head going on puzzles, this one is for you !
  47. AndyD
    Jan 2, 2010
    Batman AA is definately one of, if not, the best superhero games ever! Story is good, joker is really funny, Charater & level design are excellent! the graphic is AWESOME and runs like a charm even on a 9600 GT (physx off and 4x anti aliasing) If you are a fan of batman, or just a big fan of beat em up style of game, and have the bucks, buying this won't be a regret! Xbox 360 Batman AA is definately one of, if not, the best superhero games ever! Story is good, joker is really funny, Charater & level design are excellent! the graphic is AWESOME and runs like a charm even on a 9600 GT (physx off and 4x anti aliasing) If you are a fan of batman, or just a big fan of beat em up style of game, and have the bucks, buying this won't be a regret! Xbox 360 controller is highly recommended for this game! Expand
  48. pipelinecache
    Apr 4, 2010
    I've never given a 10 rating for a game, but Batman: Arkham Asylum really deserves it. Of all the games I've played in 2009 this one stands above them all, especially on the PC with all the disappointing console ports that has been manufactured lately. The whole game is a piece of art and is very fun to play. Highly recommended.
  49. J.S.
    Oct 11, 2009
    Best game I've played this year. Great storyline, wonderful voice acting, very intriguing, great gameplay. Its a little short on the second playthrough, but even though the game doesn't have multiple endings, its one of those rare single-player games that you wouldn't mind playing through a few times.
  50. RamC
    Oct 11, 2009
    Epic Stuff! Hats off to Eidos for putting in so much effort to closely follow the ambience and feel of batman and implement that in a game..this is a game whr u feel like batman..though it was lil repetitive,it was never boring..even after the game ,i m still spending time to solve riddles and complete challenge mode,thats how good it is!!
  51. ShanghaiedDT
    Nov 13, 2009
    Deserves every ounce of acclaim it receives; this GOTY material in my book. Excellent controls, great pacing, good atmosphere, excellent sounds and voice acting... I can keep going. I honestly can't find anything that I don't like about this game; it is one of the most perfect incarnations of action/adventure I've ever played.
  52. Darkplace
    Oct 1, 2009
    Only played the demo thru Steam, so have limited exposure...however this game is almost brilliant. The one thing and IMHO means I will not be buying this game is the camera controls are terrible. Many times I ended up looking the wrong way and fighting the wall! This is really frustrating I even tried messing around with the settings - something I never normally need to do - to no avail. Only played the demo thru Steam, so have limited exposure...however this game is almost brilliant. The one thing and IMHO means I will not be buying this game is the camera controls are terrible. Many times I ended up looking the wrong way and fighting the wall! This is really frustrating I even tried messing around with the settings - something I never normally need to do - to no avail. I guess if you can handle the camera this would be a 9 however I can't. 7. Expand
  53. PaulM
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fan-dabbey-dabulous. this is great, the first game i have ever played that has a great mix of stealth and combat, both of which work well togther. overall, my game of the year by a mile.
  54. SamuelN
    Dec 30, 2009
    Pure awesome. Best game I've played in a while. Should definietly tried, at least.
  55. JohnS.
    Oct 24, 2009
    An Absolutely Incredible Ride. Every once and a while you come across a really incredible movie, and this is what you get, a really incredible game. Though it is pretty linear, the entertainment is nonstop. Even the mundane tasks such as collecting / solving riddles can be just as fun. Scarecrow implementation was absolutely fighteningly delightful!
  56. KendallJ.
    Oct 24, 2009
    A great gaming experince with full of exciting details, Batman Arkham Asylum has become a true classic. Not only for Batman fans, the game offers one of the best stealth-action experience, and the best fighting system ever made. In-game puzzles are excellent, especially the Riddler's ones! The only bad side is nVidia & PhysX engine. It causes serious slowdowns on ATI systems.
  57. CySAB
    Oct 29, 2009
    This is the best game I've played this year and is by far the best comic based / super-hero game ever made. I've finished playing through the story mode (Normal difficulty), all the riddles and I'm still engaged in the challenge mode. Am I bored? Not even a little bit. Will I play it a second time? Certainly YES (want to try Hard mode) and maybe even a 3rd or 4th. Everyone This is the best game I've played this year and is by far the best comic based / super-hero game ever made. I've finished playing through the story mode (Normal difficulty), all the riddles and I'm still engaged in the challenge mode. Am I bored? Not even a little bit. Will I play it a second time? Certainly YES (want to try Hard mode) and maybe even a 3rd or 4th. Everyone in game industry should learn how to treat a license and a fan-base with the same respect the developers treated this game. No true game player or Batman fan should miss this game. Graphics: Very good graphics, using the Unreal Engine 3 (same from Bioshock and Gears of War). Very detailed environments and excellent character designs. Sound: I loved the sound effects for Batman's gadgets. The music is not the theme from the movies or the animated series, but is very good and atmospheric. Gameplay: Very easy to pick up but somewhat difficult to master. What I liked is how the game constantly forces you to change tactics. (Ex: when you get used to engage enemies silently by jumping over gargoyles in the walls they plant some bombs on them). I never got bored playing it. Replay: You will want to play through it again the very moment you get to the end. Extras: The characters profiles, interviews, trophies, the riddles, puzzles, challenge mode, etc. Very entertaining. The developers really put a lot of effort in making this title. I played the PC version (the game requirements are very reasonable for an average gamer) but I'm sure the PS3 and X360 owners won't be disappointed buying this game. Expand
  58. HansC
    Oct 29, 2009
    This is up there with some of the best games I've ever played. The combat system is the best once you adjust to it and the story line is awesome. Although the combat is a bit of a button masher it has enough complexity to it to make it entertaining, challenging, rewarding. Totally worth every cent; go but it, you won't be disappointed.
  59. KurtC
    Oct 6, 2009
    Now I know how Batman does it... Great game. But when you beat it, it gets all boring... I recommend it for Batman fans. Voice acting was good as always. Kevin Conroy + Mark Hamill = Win.
  60. DanielP
    Sep 22, 2009
    I haven't like Batman ever. But thanks to HALO effect with Nolan movies, I tried this game, and I was knocked down! This game have absolutely best athmosphere since first STALKER, even Dead Space hadn't better. I'm stunned with graphic orgies in quite old Unreal Engine, I'm stunned with dubing, I'm simply huge impressed. Bravo Epic, this is epic game.
  61. RenéS
    Sep 27, 2009
    I was very sceptic when I first heard there was going to be a Batman game. But Rocksteady might be as big Batman fans as we are, and this game is a proof of it. The atmosphere, storytelling, combat-system, stealth elements, gameplay and overall presentation is top notch. Look forward to this masterpiece.
  62. JakeF
    Jan 11, 2010
    From what I've played of this it's certainly one to add to your collection. Stunning combat featuring unique camera angles giving it that all important super hero theme. It portrays an epic storyline and features the greatest Batman villain of all time, the Joker. Not usually my style of game, yet it seems to have that truly great feel to it.
  63. STERNL
    Dec 29, 2009
    Simply fantastic, one of the best game I never play. Batman looks like a game we don't make anymore.
  64. MarkWaddington
    Sep 26, 2009
    For my money even better than the PS3 version and let's face it, these sorts of titles are usually more suited to the consoles - but Batman proves that there's life left in the PC as a worldbeating games format yet! Awesome. I think Jared J was playing a different game!
  65. DennisW.
    Sep 26, 2009
    Jared J is a motherlover, he has too much problems in life. don't listen to him =) it's a very nice game. Fighting against enemys makes a lot of fun, it doesn't get boring at all. Sneaking around makes a lot of fun too, it's not the same like in metal gear solid but it has others great sides . Just enjoy the game and the nice in-game scenes, the great atmosphere, the Jared J is a motherlover, he has too much problems in life. don't listen to him =) it's a very nice game. Fighting against enemys makes a lot of fun, it doesn't get boring at all. Sneaking around makes a lot of fun too, it's not the same like in metal gear solid but it has others great sides . Just enjoy the game and the nice in-game scenes, the great atmosphere, the perfect passed environment and a lot of batman's enemys. Expand
  66. JacobB
    Dec 22, 2009
    Definite 10 for Batman, this game is brilliant, they even fixed the problem of going through the same area three times by changing it dramatically each time. Voice acting although a little unrealistic really reminds me of Batman: Animated series and with the same voice actors is awesome. Graphics, although no Crysis, are brilliant and stylized just like original batman comics. Sound track Definite 10 for Batman, this game is brilliant, they even fixed the problem of going through the same area three times by changing it dramatically each time. Voice acting although a little unrealistic really reminds me of Batman: Animated series and with the same voice actors is awesome. Graphics, although no Crysis, are brilliant and stylized just like original batman comics. Sound track is great, game play is epic, and if your truly a fan of batman it is easily re playable multiple times, challenge mode is great for someone with less time to play. Now that a sequel has been announced i cant wait. Expand
  67. GuilhermeB
    Dec 25, 2009
    BAS is one of the best adventure/action game I ever played. Astonishing voice acting plus a very good story makes a perfect mix with it enhanced graphics (particularly in PC if you have a good machine), excellent control response and awesome sound mixing. Definitely a masterpiece.
  68. Dec 8, 2010
    I just want to say that this is easily the best game that has ever been released that features a superhero. The story is incredible, the voice acting is phenomenal, the atmosphere is dark and beautiful and the combat system is unique and challenging. I have played the game 4 times over and received 100% in all of the different challenges, and still I go back and play it every once in aI just want to say that this is easily the best game that has ever been released that features a superhero. The story is incredible, the voice acting is phenomenal, the atmosphere is dark and beautiful and the combat system is unique and challenging. I have played the game 4 times over and received 100% in all of the different challenges, and still I go back and play it every once in a while to beat my already high scores. If you like Batman, if you like games, if you like adventure, if you like incredibly crafted story, or if you are just looking for a good time, I would highly suggest this game since it is hand down the best in its class. Expand
  69. Sep 7, 2010
    Love it. Truly addicting, and not overated. As in, at all. The only people who would say such a thing are those who just don't like Batman or the game for some reason. I was never really a huge Batman fan, I don't read comics, and thought the movies are really good. Well this game is amazing. Even if you don't like Batman, give it a go. It's tons of fun, and addicting. I love the Joker inLove it. Truly addicting, and not overated. As in, at all. The only people who would say such a thing are those who just don't like Batman or the game for some reason. I was never really a huge Batman fan, I don't read comics, and thought the movies are really good. Well this game is amazing. Even if you don't like Batman, give it a go. It's tons of fun, and addicting. I love the Joker in this as well, while it's no Heath Ledger, he IS played by Mark Hamil from Star Wars, and he does a FANTASTIC job. I use caps there because he really does. There is no excuse, at least get the demo. And also get the PC version, the PhysX are incredible. Dynamic Paper, Dynamic Fog... you can throw your Baterang at hanging banners and piece by piece shred it apart and make pieces fall down. Dynamic Bat Cape, destructible objects etc.... it makes the 360 version look last gen. Conclusion: BUY THIS GAME. 10/10 in my book. Expand
  70. Oct 29, 2010
    Amazing gameplay! Its a must play for any Batman fan! The action is alot of fun and really keeps you going. The flow of the game is perfect! If this game comes on sale you would be insane not to buy it. This has very in depth graphics. The voice acting in it is awesome! The cut scenes are very fun to watch. There are hidden secrets throughout the game that you can get if you so desire. TheAmazing gameplay! Its a must play for any Batman fan! The action is alot of fun and really keeps you going. The flow of the game is perfect! If this game comes on sale you would be insane not to buy it. This has very in depth graphics. The voice acting in it is awesome! The cut scenes are very fun to watch. There are hidden secrets throughout the game that you can get if you so desire. The game has extra things in like like "Challenge mode" were you are challenged with different things to do. This game is a must have if ever loved the comic book character of Batman. It is a 10/10 game! Get it and you wont regret it! Expand
  71. Dec 2, 2010
    This game is **** I can't give it a 10 because of the DRM, but it's still fantastic. Look at those scores, 10's and 9's everywhere, and not just from **** "professional" reviews. I cannot think of a superhero game, ever, that was this good, but this game isn't just good if you compare it to other licensed stuff, this game can stand on it's own, and will certainly go down as a classic.This game is **** I can't give it a 10 because of the DRM, but it's still fantastic. Look at those scores, 10's and 9's everywhere, and not just from **** "professional" reviews. I cannot think of a superhero game, ever, that was this good, but this game isn't just good if you compare it to other licensed stuff, this game can stand on it's own, and will certainly go down as a classic. Bravo Rocksteady, you guys really outdid yourselves.. Expand
  72. Sep 28, 2010
    Im still playing it even after end of the storyline. I just cant stop. Its awesome. Excellent mix of splinter cell and street fighter (or something like this) i thought that will never be working before.
  73. Oct 15, 2010
    The best batman game there is, no other game has made you feel more like batman then this game, the combat is smooth and very entertaining. The graphics are great wish the story was longer but it makes me want the next one even more, the boss battles are pretty sweet. I highly recommend getting this game.
  74. Oct 21, 2010
    I generally dislike beat-em-ups but this game was fantastic to me. Very fun and very gorgeous. The only problems I can name are that some boss fights aren't as climactic as I wish they were as a Batman fan but some definitely stand out beautiful. Not only is the gameplay golden, but the cinematic events are very well-done. I played this on PC because there was a sale on Steam but theI generally dislike beat-em-ups but this game was fantastic to me. Very fun and very gorgeous. The only problems I can name are that some boss fights aren't as climactic as I wish they were as a Batman fan but some definitely stand out beautiful. Not only is the gameplay golden, but the cinematic events are very well-done. I played this on PC because there was a sale on Steam but the graphics aren't quite good enough to justify PC vs console since the controls definitely suit a controller better than a mouse and keyboard. Unless you're getting a deal on the PC version or have a controller, I would recommend this on a PS3 or Xbox 360. Expand
  75. Mar 13, 2011
    As close to a perfect game as you can get. You had stealth elements, perfect combat and fun puzzles. What more could you want? Combat controls are very elegant and simple to grasp, but it is challenging because it is all about timing. It is not a button masher by any means, you have to see your next move, then with one click or key stroke -- execute, then move onto the next. I thoughAs close to a perfect game as you can get. You had stealth elements, perfect combat and fun puzzles. What more could you want? Combat controls are very elegant and simple to grasp, but it is challenging because it is all about timing. It is not a button masher by any means, you have to see your next move, then with one click or key stroke -- execute, then move onto the next. I though it was brilliant and natural. I wish more games approached melee and hand to hand combat in the manner that rockstar did with this game. Graphics were amazing, voice acting was incredible and the art direction added to the atmosphere. I don't usually give out 10's, but this one earned it. Expand
  76. Jun 22, 2011
    An absolute cracker in every respect. Captures the atmosphere of Batman but also the cartoonish fun and weirdness. The story is good, the quests fun, the action varied. There's lots to do besides the main storyline in looking for side achievements and pickups. Cannot wait for the sequel.
  77. Dec 26, 2010
    This is basically the best thing to happen for a fan of the animated series where all the voice actors were from. The game does a superb job at making you feel like you're batman, where stealth is key but combat is fluid enough to where you don't have to avoid every single fight every time. The upgrade path isn't true rpg style, but you can pick from a variety of paths to go with it.This is basically the best thing to happen for a fan of the animated series where all the voice actors were from. The game does a superb job at making you feel like you're batman, where stealth is key but combat is fluid enough to where you don't have to avoid every single fight every time. The upgrade path isn't true rpg style, but you can pick from a variety of paths to go with it. Its batman so your gadgets all show up, and with the upgrade system you usually can give most of them extra tricks in combat. What else is there to say? Great game and I'm looking forward to what they do with Arkham City. Expand
  78. Dec 28, 2010
    The game is your standard linear licensed hero punch up with a few cool little gimmicks, and some nice graphics...

but its batman, so it WINS THE PRIZE!
  79. Dec 31, 2010
    It's a very good game, exciting atmosphere and nice combat system. If you are a Batman fan and like stealth games, you will enjoy it. Sound and graphics are ok. The weak is the linear gameplay, but its not bad enough to put the game score down.
  80. Jan 31, 2011
    This is the hardest a** Batman I've seen. The controls are quite simple, but the whole presentation is cool. Controls and presentation have a Half Life feel to them while still being completely and uniquely Batman. The Bio's and all of the back info really add to the game as a story. The game is pretty linear, while not totally feeling it, like Half Life's. I haven't gotten far intoThis is the hardest a** Batman I've seen. The controls are quite simple, but the whole presentation is cool. Controls and presentation have a Half Life feel to them while still being completely and uniquely Batman. The Bio's and all of the back info really add to the game as a story. The game is pretty linear, while not totally feeling it, like Half Life's. I haven't gotten far into the game yet, so I'm hoping the combo fighting plays more into it, but we'll see. I got it on Steam and I'm very happy w/ my purchase at $29.99. Expand
  81. Jun 24, 2011
    Batman fan or not, you will enjoy this amazing game if you are a third person fan. The game combines beat'm up style with stealth action like no other game
    lots of riddles to solve, nice action, a good story and nice voice acting will keep you wanting more
  82. Jul 9, 2011
    This game is a case of where the critics loved the game and users loved it too, but are a bit more weird or harsh. People keep calling it "overrated" when really it deserves all the praise it gets.

As a Batman fan since childhood I can tell you this is a true Batman game that puts you into the caped crusaders wings and lets you soar to your hearts content. It has its flaws like any game, but when you look at what it did right and the high quality story, graphics, sounds and gameplay. You can't possibly deny this game is a masterpiece in its own right.
  83. Mar 22, 2011
    This is the most polished and well designed game that I've played in recent memory. Keyboard and mouse controls are amazingly well tuned. Story, voiceover and geek factor are off the charts. My two gripes are no unlockable suits and the menus were taken without any redesign from the console version. The controls and overall quality far overshadow any gripes though.
  84. Mar 29, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a go because I love adventure/action games and this has had great reviews and a GOTY status. I have to say that this is a good game because of the stealth sections and memorable scarecrow sections. The combat flows smoothly and is kept interesting with having a few different guards with varying weapons and ways to deal with them. However, I felt that the bossesI wanted to give this game a go because I love adventure/action games and this has had great reviews and a GOTY status. I have to say that this is a good game because of the stealth sections and memorable scarecrow sections. The combat flows smoothly and is kept interesting with having a few different guards with varying weapons and ways to deal with them. However, I felt that the bosses were poor as most of them just looked down from their ivory tower while you just deal with more guards. Only one of them didn't follow this trend, which is disappointing as I would have liked more variety. At the games current price it is worth a try, but I would have been hesitant to recommend it at full price. Expand
  85. Apr 1, 2011
    Best superhero game ever, there was a lot of gameplay variety, and it was not too difficult. it was fun to try to get all challenges. the graphics were not the best I've ever seen, but it was not very bad to see. I think the bigger monsters / bosses were the best since a long time in game everytime. Now I expect many of the successor of this game.

(Sorry for bad English)
  86. Apr 17, 2014
    In general a good start for a batman series, but the controls in general feels sometimes like playing with broken fingers.
    The area is small and the quest is let you run always across it :-( .Fighting is funny when you are familiar with controls once. Batman looks dangerous but in fact he is a ****
  87. Jun 29, 2013
    this game is a joke for adult players: The gameplay is so simple: press button and something awesome will happen, haha. KI is intelligence? So a classic console game: simple and easy... There are some good sides of this game: graphic is great and the performance perfect. Anyway it doesnt help the gameplay.
  88. May 9, 2013
    This is a game that I kept hearing great things about for a few years now. I've been meaning to try it. I just recently got around to it, and frankly I am dumbfounded looking at some of the ratings it's gotten. I wanted to like it, I really did but it's been quite some time since a video game has left me so bored, and I don't think I have ever played anything more overrated. (Except maybeThis is a game that I kept hearing great things about for a few years now. I've been meaning to try it. I just recently got around to it, and frankly I am dumbfounded looking at some of the ratings it's gotten. I wanted to like it, I really did but it's been quite some time since a video game has left me so bored, and I don't think I have ever played anything more overrated. (Except maybe the Halo series or Borderlands)

The level design is bland and uninspired. The combat system is oversimplified. The enemy AI is utterly braindead. Many of the early fights you can win even if you close your eyes and just start tapping the strike and counter buttons randomly, and I'm not exaggerating. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

All we have here in Batman Arkham Asylum is painfully linear button-masher that has very little real substance. It's a game that younger, casual console gamers will have a blast with. You get non-stop action with no thought required whatsoever. If that's your thing, go for it.

In all fairness I need to point out that for a 2009 game, most of the visuals are pretty decent. Some of the character models are not that well done, but overall it is not a bad looking game. The voice acting for Batman and Joker are excellent, but most of the other voices aren't anything special.

I'm glad I was able to get my copy of this for free, I would have been pretty upset if I had to spend money on this turd. Like I said, I wanted to like it and I really tried but it's just not a very good game IMHO. I ended up deleting it to save some hard drive space, because I know for sure that I will never be playing this one again.
  89. CraneC
    Sep 27, 2009
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty much the same as Batman: The Rise of Sun Tzu, except it adds other types of fights and the whole detective interface. The game has alot of interesting concepts like the whole enemy blood pressure and fear levels, but they don't really affect the gameplay. The whole gliding system is great, as well as the grapple system. The gme isn't fluid enough Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty much the same as Batman: The Rise of Sun Tzu, except it adds other types of fights and the whole detective interface. The game has alot of interesting concepts like the whole enemy blood pressure and fear levels, but they don't really affect the gameplay. The whole gliding system is great, as well as the grapple system. The gme isn't fluid enough in my opinion though, whenever you fight the venom soldiers, you are in an arena type place, and you always kill them the same way, whenever you are fighting armed enemies, you are in a large room with gargoyles on the roof. Whenever you fight unarmed enemies, it becomes more of a button masher than a gadget game. The storyline is total garbage. It uses GFWL, but has no multiplayer, which is just retarded. They tried to use the scarecrow to add a FEAR, type gameplay, but then they just turned the scarecrow levels into a minigame which is really boring. The game could have been aot better if they had thought it through a little more. Expand
  90. brads
    Oct 3, 2009
    I am not a Batman fan; I am playing this game just as is with no baggage attached. Detectective mode requires no detective work. Some weird design decisions drag this game down for me.The story is not egaging enough to hide just how linear the game play is. Graphics are ok with out being anything special. The fight animations are fantastic. I am uninstalling it at 43% as I am finding it tedious.
  91. azbobs
    Jan 3, 2010
    Good graphics and game play is ok. The fight scenes are cool
  92. Oct 23, 2010
    I think this is very good game to play. But its price is too much 39.99 for this game becoause itis just fan game and if you dont like Batman, you cant enjoy playing. I love this game too much.
    Have fun.
  93. Aug 13, 2014
    It's good in some ways and a pain in the *** in other ways. Some of the major battles require you to work with the WASD keys in a weird action mode and it makes it even more difficult to accomplish anything, which in turn makes it frustrating. And I'm playing on easy just because I want to get it over with! If you find this game for under $20 it might be worth it, but other than that, theIt's good in some ways and a pain in the *** in other ways. Some of the major battles require you to work with the WASD keys in a weird action mode and it makes it even more difficult to accomplish anything, which in turn makes it frustrating. And I'm playing on easy just because I want to get it over with! If you find this game for under $20 it might be worth it, but other than that, the more recent Batman Gotham City is a much better version of the game series. Expand
  94. May 30, 2015
    The game is a joke. I cant agree more with all the other negative reviews. a 91 seriously? its a cheesy, non-engaging, hand-holding children's game. I never did really trust Metacritic's reviews. Im sure the producers fattened their wallets happily. POS game
  95. Sep 20, 2014
    I really don't get the hype about this game, and I'm a huge Batman fan (and a huge gamer). The combat is horrid... it's just a button masher. It's sooooo easy. I feel like the difficulty is catered to 6-7 year olds... or maybe Dark souls just spoiled me?
  96. Dec 14, 2014
    I tried it because of all the hype, but it's a letdown. The game is completely linear so far, so it's like you're just watching a movie and pressing a button at the right time. (Now press F to glide down and hit that guy...) Click over and over for punch, punch, fancy punch... etc. Bleh. Boring.
  97. StevenH
    Sep 15, 2009
    This is probably the most overrated game this year. This Batman game takes the implausibility and inaccuracy of the cartoon and does it up in the "adult" visuals of the new Batman movies. In the most contrived story yet, Joker springs many of the major supervillains from Arkham, forcing Batman to pit himself against the Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Bane (whom he hardly landed a This is probably the most overrated game this year. This Batman game takes the implausibility and inaccuracy of the cartoon and does it up in the "adult" visuals of the new Batman movies. In the most contrived story yet, Joker springs many of the major supervillains from Arkham, forcing Batman to pit himself against the Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Bane (whom he hardly landed a successful punch on in the comic), Zsasz, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, and hundreds of muscular armed thugs and men pumped up with super soldier serum all in the same night. Never mind the fact that Bruce Wayne nearly died after putting the same number of petty criminals away over the course of 3 weeks back in 1993 (when his back was broken by Bane, who is more like 6'2" and 250 pounds than the 5'6" 140 pounds the game lists him as). Gameplay consists of Assassin's Creed in a Batman setting with limited God of War upgrades and boss battles. In other words it's like every other beat 'em up/adventure game in the past 5 years. The graphics are okay, not pressing the envelope by any circumstances, since its development was stunted by multi-console development. Lip synching is truly terrible and many of the models look like they stepped out of Doom 3 (2004). Music consists of orchestral hits and people thrumming back and forth on string ensemble constantly. The story is terrible, the gameplay is derivative, the graphics are nothing special, the music is boring, but throughout it all Eidos has managed to put together an actual functional Batman game and let hype and tasteless masses fill in the blanks. There is fun to be had here... For about 12 hours. I got the game this morning and beat it this evening, 75% complete. I could probably spend about 5 or 6 more hours collecting the remaining Riddler trophies and challenges, but micromanagement for "achievements" is not my idea of fun (especially on PC where "gamer point" systems are less visible). Your mileage may vary if you enjoy running around empty landscapes and watching the same animations over and over in an attempt to gain virtual credentials. Overall, the experience was not completely awful, and made today barely more entertaining, but it was nothing groundbreaking, hardly worthy of the hype it's receiving, and I probably won't pick it up again. Expand
  98. AnonymousMC
    Oct 14, 2009
    I must say, this was a brilliant move, fellas. Making a game that immediately crashes thanks to you dumb fuck idea to have "games for cock-sucking windows: live" on it. Then you make a patch that doesn't even work for it....brilliant!! I have learned my lesson to never buy a game with "GFWL" on it again.
  99. Mar 28, 2013
    GFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience.

1. The result is so good that we're declaring it an easy 'Best of' contender for 2009.
  2. I can say with confidence and cannot stress enough, Batman: Arkham Asylum is, without a doubt, the best Batman game ever created. It does more than give you the Batman game you want, it gives you a video game that you could play repeatedly, even if it didn't have the caped and cowled Dark Knight in it.
  3. There isn’t a single element of Arkham Asylum that isn’t polished to the utmost degree.