8.7

1. Aug 7, 2011
    An excellent game in all aspects! I'm not a huge Batman fan, but this game was so polished that I could see myself getting into the Batman world. As the name suggests, your Batman at the Arkham Asylum, returning the Joker for the umpteenth time, when he breaks free and all hell breaks loose. The inmates are released and you need to work your way through several notable characters beforeAn excellent game in all aspects! I'm not a huge Batman fan, but this game was so polished that I could see myself getting into the Batman world. As the name suggests, your Batman at the Arkham Asylum, returning the Joker for the umpteenth time, when he breaks free and all hell breaks loose. The inmates are released and you need to work your way through several notable characters before facing the Joker and his intricate plot. Some of the popular characters like the Penguin, Catwoman, Twoface, and Mr. Freeze are not in the game at all, but this was a great decision as to separate the game from the not so great movies. The story flows and is interesting and I never felt like I was doing meaningless tasks just to advance the story. Everything was connected. The graphics look great and run smoothly, I never got any stuttering even when entering a new level. Audio was just what you would expect from a Batman game, everything sounded in place. From the whiz of the grapple gun to the swish of the cape. They even got some great voice actors for the cast. Batman is Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill as the Joker, and Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn. These actors were from the animated cartoon series I watched from the early to mid 90's and to recognize and hear their voices just as they sounded almost 20 years ago really took me back. Those are the ones that stand out, but all of the voice acting was done well. The gameplay focuses on mostly taking down inmates but there is also a search and explore aspect. When attacking you chain together combo hits as well as countering incoming attacks. You also have several scenarios where you will have to use stealth to incapacitate thugs with guns. You can sneak up from behind and do a silent takedown as well as hang from a statue and do an inverted takedown. The combo system works well and as you gain experience you gain the abilities of an instant takedown or picking up a prisoner and using him as a projectile after connecting 5 combo hits. The controls are a bit of an issue here. When throwing a enemy you have to use the wasd controls to direct him instead of the mouse. So even if you have a shot lined up you have to direct it and it just gets confusing when your in the heat of battle. I wound up not using the throw for most of the game because of this. For the takedown you press shift and right click but you have a pretty short window of opportunity to do so and the right click is also bound as an aiming mechanism for your gadgets. So I when trying to do a takedown or contering a punch, sometimes I would be aiming my batarang for a second and then getting hit messing up my combos. These problems might be solved by using a controller but I don't have the Xbox360 controller listed in the control config and I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up one with a PS2 controller with an adapter. The explore and collect part of the game is initiated by The Riddler who has hidden question mark trophies and puzzles across the island. The puzzles come in the form of riddles that you take "pictures" of using the detective mode to have a high tech look at your surroundings Collecting these will unlock character bios and detailed character trophies that you can look at from the main menu. There are also Arkham plaques that tell more of the history of the island and how it came to be an institution. All in all, this was a fantastic game and I highly recommend it. Even at full price you get your monies worth which is not something I felt like I have gotten in a long time. Expand
  2. Jan 13, 2012
    I like this game... i do. But when you can't save without windows live, and the patch system i so broken, that the word broken can't be used, i can only give it zero! basically its unplayable without windows live, therefor its completely broken, and can only be given a zero.

Windows live is a bad attempt from microsoft to be a part of the gaming industry, and forcing PC players to become part of their **** broken, buggy, utterly completely pointless gaming gimmick!
    from now on, i might never buy another game with "windows live" on the cover.
    I really do, day for day, get a better understanding for pirates, less problems then actually buying a game!
  3. Apr 28, 2011
    I was wary in the buying of this game. Checked some youtube clips... looked interesting... One word, wow!

I stuck this one out to the end, well, the end of the story that is- and, what a ride! You ARE Batman! The one think that grabbed me, was the actual atmosphere. It brought the feeling of the newer Batman movies closer and sucked me RIGHT in! Punch, combo, boom, get the baddies

The one think that grabbed me, was the actual atmosphere. It brought the feeling of the newer Batman movies closer and sucked me RIGHT in! Punch, combo, boom, get the baddies from above, glide down THWACK!
    Upgrades are available for better armor, etc.. They didn't really feel like they had much of an effect, but some the weapons that are weened into your inventory as the game progresses kick ass ;>

Graphic-wise, this game really shines. I'm not too sure how it looks on a non-nvidia card (the game uses the .. uhm Nvidia graphics ... physics thing to enhance smoke and adds tile effects), but even without the extra physics- it plays VERY well.

As BenW mentioned in his review, "Definitely the best Batman game out there". The others that Ive played outside this one are pretty cack. (not tried the Sun Tzu one tho!)

+ Graphics
    + Plays very well
    + Batman

- Fights get a little repetitive as the story draws to an end
  4. May 9, 2013
    This is a game that I kept hearing great things about for a few years now. I've been meaning to try it. I just recently got around to it, and frankly I am dumbfounded looking at some of the ratings it's gotten. I wanted to like it, I really did but it's been quite some time since a video game has left me so bored, and I don't think I have ever played anything more overrated. (Except maybeThis is a game that I kept hearing great things about for a few years now. I've been meaning to try it. I just recently got around to it, and frankly I am dumbfounded looking at some of the ratings it's gotten. I wanted to like it, I really did but it's been quite some time since a video game has left me so bored, and I don't think I have ever played anything more overrated. (Except maybe the Halo series or Borderlands)

The level design is bland and uninspired. The combat system is oversimplified. The enemy AI is utterly braindead. Many of the early fights you can win even if you close your eyes and just start tapping the strike and counter buttons randomly, and I'm not exaggerating. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

All we have here in Batman Arkham Asylum is painfully linear button-masher that has very little real substance. It's a game that younger, casual console gamers will have a blast with. You get non-stop action with no thought required whatsoever. If that's your thing, go for it.

In all fairness I need to point out that for a 2009 game, most of the visuals are pretty decent. Some of the character models are not that well done, but overall it is not a bad looking game. The voice acting for Batman and Joker are excellent, but most of the other voices aren't anything special.

I'm glad I was able to get my copy of this for free, I would have been pretty upset if I had to spend money on this turd. Like I said, I wanted to like it and I really tried but it's just not a very good game IMHO. I ended up deleting it to save some hard drive space, because I know for sure that I will never be playing this one again.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    This is a fantastic game. I liked every single moment what i`ve spent playing this game!
  6. Sep 29, 2010
    Wow, now this is what a super hero game is supposed to be like (I'm talking to you Spiderman)! The game is likely the best game of the year and if you have not tried it, you really cannot go wrong - just trust me on this!!!
  7. Mar 28, 2013
    GFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience.
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    "Batman: Arkham Asylum" is a better-than-average action game that really is just...solid. The graphics and textures are sweet and cool, but the basic controls are not. Unlike the xbox 360, free flow combat is quite harder due to the idiotic keyboard settings the game has. The story is solid, which is pretty good and fine to me, but the campaign is too linear. After all the setting's"Batman: Arkham Asylum" is a better-than-average action game that really is just...solid. The graphics and textures are sweet and cool, but the basic controls are not. Unlike the xbox 360, free flow combat is quite harder due to the idiotic keyboard settings the game has. The story is solid, which is pretty good and fine to me, but the campaign is too linear. After all the setting's limited to an asylum, right? In conclusion B:AA is a solid game that can either be a masterpiece to Batman fans or mediocre. Expand
  9. Jun 29, 2013
    this game is a joke for adult players: The gameplay is so simple: press button and something awesome will happen, haha. KI is intelligence? So a classic console game: simple and easy... There are some good sides of this game: graphic is great and the performance perfect. Anyway it doesnt help the gameplay.
  10. Aug 12, 2010
    As a batman fan i have to say i felt like batman while i was playing this game. It' so obvious that this game has created with batman love. Graphics are extraordinary and voices are brilliant. And game is long enough "of course it's always not enough if you like this game" and you want to play it again. Combat system is different from the arcade games we are used to. It' so fun to kick 8As a batman fan i have to say i felt like batman while i was playing this game. It' so obvious that this game has created with batman love. Graphics are extraordinary and voices are brilliant. And game is long enough "of course it's always not enough if you like this game" and you want to play it again. Combat system is different from the arcade games we are used to. It' so fun to kick 8 henchmen's ass at the same time. Beating them in the hard mode without getting a single hit satisfies the player. And this game has given the needed worth to the gadgets. Predator rooms may be boring at the beginning but after some time it complicates and it becomes interesting and fun to play. Riddles expands the games playing time of course and they can become really challenging. Atmosphere of the game can lessen in the middle of the game but the game is interesting enough and something takes your interest somewhere else for sure. And the only downside of the game that i can find are cut-scenes. This game offers you to become batman himself. I can easily say this is the best hero game ever. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2011
    What can I say? This game brings back nostalgia. The voice acting is perfect, graphics are nice, gamplay is nicely deisgned. I have played this game 4 times because its that good. The only flaw that people would say is Games For Windows Live, as always. A problem that needs to not excist anymore.
  12. Aug 18, 2011
    On a whole this game is excellent. It gets you into the story and keeps you there until the game ends. I loved the controls even though I used an Xbox 360 controller on my PC. I would recommend this highly to anyone who wants a good single player action game.

My only real complaint is that someones I would get lost, and would have no idea where I needed to go. A couple times it did become frustrating. However, I still loved the story.
  13. Nov 6, 2010
    Batman Arkham Asylum, is one of the best super hero, no one of the bestr game erver made. Hand down. Everything is perfect, from the graphic to the gameplay, simply of joyfull moment of video game
  14. Mar 11, 2011
    It's just amazing. I bought it because of a temporary price drop on Steam and it's the best gaming suprise I've ever had. PC is the definitive platform and the gameplay is smooth and satisfying. You'll replay it at least twice. What started as a $10 whim is now on my all time best list and I've pre-ordered Arkham City.
  15. Mar 9, 2013
    This over rated piece of crapp deserves zero only. This game is no way to play without X360 controller, i didn't see so lazy and poor console port before and i don't see any reason to port games from console, if you have to use console controller to play. Optimization is poor as well. There is no balancing, simple thugs kick makes more damage than these ones of Bane. You can't skipThis over rated piece of crapp deserves zero only. This game is no way to play without X360 controller, i didn't see so lazy and poor console port before and i don't see any reason to port games from console, if you have to use console controller to play. Optimization is poor as well. There is no balancing, simple thugs kick makes more damage than these ones of Bane. You can't skip annoying cut scenes and there is no normal save system. I did buy Steam version, but still i had to install over 500MB of software to play Games for Windows Live nVidia Physx SecuRom What a joke. Expand
  16. Sep 5, 2011
    Batman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with itBatman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with it is the same problem I have with most comic book 'franchises' in that as it is a franchise there never seems to be an end, we know that batman is never going to die (if he did they will just bring him back to life), he will never totally defeat his enemies either, they will always come back again and again which does water down the story's significance. Recommened. Expand
  17. May 12, 2012
    Played this game for about 3 hours and was having a blast but then, when I came back the next day to play some more, my save was corrupted... You see, a game has to **** work for it to be fun
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    I would like to clarify a few things for potential buyers (only reason you're reading this). This is a campaign/story type game with mild puzzle type elements. If you have played darksiders then you are in the right ballpark. I knew this was a campaign/story type game and I bought it anyway determined to play even though I am a sandbox kind of guy.

Bottom line, even as a marginal

Bottom line, even as a marginal batman fan (only batman I ever liked was Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel) you are going to get something out of this. The force that is Batman is communicated here but mostly graphically. For those of us who enjoy sandbox the gameplay is incredibly claustrophobic. But in a puzzle-like way which is why it works. At least for the gazillion people who gave it a 10 here. You get strung along in extremely linear fashion with some gratifying puzzle-like play in your attempts to complete level challenges and bosses. I can't really stress how claustrophobic progression is though. The gratification for completing this game is equivalent to reading a book. You want to complete the story rather than experience the awesome gameplay. And I guess thats what divides us gamers, those who want a mild challenge with more story and those who want an insane challenge with no story. So to sum up my review, if you know what type of gamer you are you should definitively know whether you will enjoy this game to the fullest, or not. If you are man enough to admit you are a softcore gamer and would enjoy this go for it. Otherwise steer clear because you will be filled with mostly, contempt.
  19. Dec 27, 2012
    What an awesome game! The story is fantastic, the gameplay is really good and you really can feel yourself entering the world of Batman. The villains are really well developed and the combat is very fun. The Riddle quests are really challenging too, and is a good thing to go out of the primary campaign objectives. Besides that is a huge evolution in the games of super-heroes in general.
  20. Dec 8, 2010
    I just want to say that this is easily the best game that has ever been released that features a superhero. The story is incredible, the voice acting is phenomenal, the atmosphere is dark and beautiful and the combat system is unique and challenging. I have played the game 4 times over and received 100% in all of the different challenges, and still I go back and play it every once in aI just want to say that this is easily the best game that has ever been released that features a superhero. The story is incredible, the voice acting is phenomenal, the atmosphere is dark and beautiful and the combat system is unique and challenging. I have played the game 4 times over and received 100% in all of the different challenges, and still I go back and play it every once in a while to beat my already high scores. If you like Batman, if you like games, if you like adventure, if you like incredibly crafted story, or if you are just looking for a good time, I would highly suggest this game since it is hand down the best in its class. Expand
  21. Sep 7, 2010
    Love it. Truly addicting, and not overated. As in, at all. The only people who would say such a thing are those who just don't like Batman or the game for some reason. I was never really a huge Batman fan, I don't read comics, and thought the movies are really good. Well this game is amazing. Even if you don't like Batman, give it a go. It's tons of fun, and addicting. I love the Joker inLove it. Truly addicting, and not overated. As in, at all. The only people who would say such a thing are those who just don't like Batman or the game for some reason. I was never really a huge Batman fan, I don't read comics, and thought the movies are really good. Well this game is amazing. Even if you don't like Batman, give it a go. It's tons of fun, and addicting. I love the Joker in this as well, while it's no Heath Ledger, he IS played by Mark Hamil from Star Wars, and he does a FANTASTIC job. I use caps there because he really does. There is no excuse, at least get the demo. And also get the PC version, the PhysX are incredible. Dynamic Paper, Dynamic Fog... you can throw your Baterang at hanging banners and piece by piece shred it apart and make pieces fall down. Dynamic Bat Cape, destructible objects etc.... it makes the 360 version look last gen. Conclusion: BUY THIS GAME. 10/10 in my book. Expand
  22. Oct 29, 2010
    Amazing gameplay! Its a must play for any Batman fan! The action is alot of fun and really keeps you going. The flow of the game is perfect! If this game comes on sale you would be insane not to buy it. This has very in depth graphics. The voice acting in it is awesome! The cut scenes are very fun to watch. There are hidden secrets throughout the game that you can get if you so desire. TheAmazing gameplay! Its a must play for any Batman fan! The action is alot of fun and really keeps you going. The flow of the game is perfect! If this game comes on sale you would be insane not to buy it. This has very in depth graphics. The voice acting in it is awesome! The cut scenes are very fun to watch. There are hidden secrets throughout the game that you can get if you so desire. The game has extra things in like like "Challenge mode" were you are challenged with different things to do. This game is a must have if ever loved the comic book character of Batman. It is a 10/10 game! Get it and you wont regret it! Expand
  23. Dec 2, 2010
    This game is **** I can't give it a 10 because of the DRM, but it's still fantastic. Look at those scores, 10's and 9's everywhere, and not just from **** "professional" reviews. I cannot think of a superhero game, ever, that was this good, but this game isn't just good if you compare it to other licensed stuff, this game can stand on it's own, and will certainly go down as a classic.This game is **** I can't give it a 10 because of the DRM, but it's still fantastic. Look at those scores, 10's and 9's everywhere, and not just from **** "professional" reviews. I cannot think of a superhero game, ever, that was this good, but this game isn't just good if you compare it to other licensed stuff, this game can stand on it's own, and will certainly go down as a classic. Bravo Rocksteady, you guys really outdid yourselves.. Expand
  24. Sep 28, 2010
    Im still playing it even after end of the storyline. I just cant stop. Its awesome. Excellent mix of splinter cell and street fighter (or something like this) i thought that will never be working before.
  25. Oct 15, 2010
    The best batman game there is, no other game has made you feel more like batman then this game, the combat is smooth and very entertaining. The graphics are great wish the story was longer but it makes me want the next one even more, the boss battles are pretty sweet. I highly recommend getting this game.
  26. Oct 21, 2010
    I generally dislike beat-em-ups but this game was fantastic to me. Very fun and very gorgeous. The only problems I can name are that some boss fights aren't as climactic as I wish they were as a Batman fan but some definitely stand out beautiful. Not only is the gameplay golden, but the cinematic events are very well-done. I played this on PC because there was a sale on Steam but theI generally dislike beat-em-ups but this game was fantastic to me. Very fun and very gorgeous. The only problems I can name are that some boss fights aren't as climactic as I wish they were as a Batman fan but some definitely stand out beautiful. Not only is the gameplay golden, but the cinematic events are very well-done. I played this on PC because there was a sale on Steam but the graphics aren't quite good enough to justify PC vs console since the controls definitely suit a controller better than a mouse and keyboard. Unless you're getting a deal on the PC version or have a controller, I would recommend this on a PS3 or Xbox 360. Expand
  27. Oct 23, 2010
    I think this is very good game to play. But its price is too much 39.99 for this game becoause itis just fan game and if you dont like Batman, you cant enjoy playing. I love this game too much.
    Have fun.
  28. Mar 13, 2011
    As close to a perfect game as you can get. You had stealth elements, perfect combat and fun puzzles. What more could you want? Combat controls are very elegant and simple to grasp, but it is challenging because it is all about timing. It is not a button masher by any means, you have to see your next move, then with one click or key stroke -- execute, then move onto the next. I thoughAs close to a perfect game as you can get. You had stealth elements, perfect combat and fun puzzles. What more could you want? Combat controls are very elegant and simple to grasp, but it is challenging because it is all about timing. It is not a button masher by any means, you have to see your next move, then with one click or key stroke -- execute, then move onto the next. I though it was brilliant and natural. I wish more games approached melee and hand to hand combat in the manner that rockstar did with this game. Graphics were amazing, voice acting was incredible and the art direction added to the atmosphere. I don't usually give out 10's, but this one earned it. Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2011
    An absolute cracker in every respect. Captures the atmosphere of Batman but also the cartoonish fun and weirdness. The story is good, the quests fun, the action varied. There's lots to do besides the main storyline in looking for side achievements and pickups. Cannot wait for the sequel.
  30. Dec 26, 2010
    This is basically the best thing to happen for a fan of the animated series where all the voice actors were from. The game does a superb job at making you feel like you're batman, where stealth is key but combat is fluid enough to where you don't have to avoid every single fight every time. The upgrade path isn't true rpg style, but you can pick from a variety of paths to go with it.This is basically the best thing to happen for a fan of the animated series where all the voice actors were from. The game does a superb job at making you feel like you're batman, where stealth is key but combat is fluid enough to where you don't have to avoid every single fight every time. The upgrade path isn't true rpg style, but you can pick from a variety of paths to go with it. Its batman so your gadgets all show up, and with the upgrade system you usually can give most of them extra tricks in combat. What else is there to say? Great game and I'm looking forward to what they do with Arkham City. Expand
  31. Dec 28, 2010
    The game is your standard linear licensed hero punch up with a few cool little gimmicks, and some nice graphics...

but its batman, so it WINS THE PRIZE!
  32. Dec 31, 2010
    It's a very good game, exciting atmosphere and nice combat system. If you are a Batman fan and like stealth games, you will enjoy it. Sound and graphics are ok. The weak is the linear gameplay, but its not bad enough to put the game score down.
  33. Jan 31, 2011
    This is the hardest a** Batman I've seen. The controls are quite simple, but the whole presentation is cool. Controls and presentation have a Half Life feel to them while still being completely and uniquely Batman. The Bio's and all of the back info really add to the game as a story. The game is pretty linear, while not totally feeling it, like Half Life's. I haven't gotten far intoThis is the hardest a** Batman I've seen. The controls are quite simple, but the whole presentation is cool. Controls and presentation have a Half Life feel to them while still being completely and uniquely Batman. The Bio's and all of the back info really add to the game as a story. The game is pretty linear, while not totally feeling it, like Half Life's. I haven't gotten far into the game yet, so I'm hoping the combo fighting plays more into it, but we'll see. I got it on Steam and I'm very happy w/ my purchase at $29.99. Expand
  34. Jun 24, 2011
    Batman fan or not, you will enjoy this amazing game if you are a third person fan. The game combines beat'm up style with stealth action like no other game
    lots of riddles to solve, nice action, a good story and nice voice acting will keep you wanting more
  35. Jul 9, 2011
    This game is a case of where the critics loved the game and users loved it too, but are a bit more weird or harsh. People keep calling it "overrated" when really it deserves all the praise it gets.

As a Batman fan since childhood I can tell you this is a true Batman game that puts you into the caped crusaders wings and lets you soar to your hearts content. It has its flaws like any game, but when you look at what it did right and the high quality story, graphics, sounds and gameplay. You can't possibly deny this game is a masterpiece in its own right.
  36. Mar 22, 2011
    This is the most polished and well designed game that I've played in recent memory. Keyboard and mouse controls are amazingly well tuned. Story, voiceover and geek factor are off the charts. My two gripes are no unlockable suits and the menus were taken without any redesign from the console version. The controls and overall quality far overshadow any gripes though.
  37. Mar 29, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a go because I love adventure/action games and this has had great reviews and a GOTY status. I have to say that this is a good game because of the stealth sections and memorable scarecrow sections. The combat flows smoothly and is kept interesting with having a few different guards with varying weapons and ways to deal with them. However, I felt that the bossesI wanted to give this game a go because I love adventure/action games and this has had great reviews and a GOTY status. I have to say that this is a good game because of the stealth sections and memorable scarecrow sections. The combat flows smoothly and is kept interesting with having a few different guards with varying weapons and ways to deal with them. However, I felt that the bosses were poor as most of them just looked down from their ivory tower while you just deal with more guards. Only one of them didn't follow this trend, which is disappointing as I would have liked more variety. At the games current price it is worth a try, but I would have been hesitant to recommend it at full price. Expand
  38. Apr 1, 2011
    Best superhero game ever, there was a lot of gameplay variety, and it was not too difficult. it was fun to try to get all challenges. the graphics were not the best I've ever seen, but it was not very bad to see. I think the bigger monsters / bosses were the best since a long time in game everytime. Now I expect many of the successor of this game.

(Sorry for bad English)
  39. Apr 16, 2011
    Batman Arkham Asylum opens with several minutes of a glorious cut scene. It can't be skipped. And I've seen it three times and still not been bored. In fact, this reminds me of what makes this game so good; you never have to see the same scene more than three times in a row. As an action adventure, it is so well balanced, I never died more than three times in a scene.Batman Arkham Asylum opens with several minutes of a glorious cut scene. It can't be skipped. And I've seen it three times and still not been bored. In fact, this reminds me of what makes this game so good; you never have to see the same scene more than three times in a row. As an action adventure, it is so well balanced, I never died more than three times in a scene.

40. Jul 31, 2011
    One of the best games I've played in a long time. The story is fun, expansive, in-depth, and well crafted. You come in with many encounters from many of DC's most infamous, and unique super villains. The story took me about 12 hours to complete, and I still am having fun beating my scores in challenge mode and finding more secrets. I would defiantly recommend this game to anyone.
  41. Apr 22, 2011
    Unfortunately this game comes disabled with Windows Live ID, which prevents makes the game unplayable since you can't save your progress. Otherwise the game itself looks like it could be quite fun. If you have any interest in the game, don't buy it before first checking that Windows Live ID works properly on your machine - the games requirements don't point out that this is an essentialUnfortunately this game comes disabled with Windows Live ID, which prevents makes the game unplayable since you can't save your progress. Otherwise the game itself looks like it could be quite fun. If you have any interest in the game, don't buy it before first checking that Windows Live ID works properly on your machine - the games requirements don't point out that this is an essential requirement. Googling for solutions shows that Windows Live is extremely buggy and disables purchased software for many people. Even after days of trying the myriad fixes for where Win Live doesn't install itself properly, and checking all the Microsoft system checks for network, uPnP & port configurations, Win Live still prevents me from accessing this game. Such overzealous copy-protection may gain the developers some kick-backs from MS, but completely alienates paying customers. Expand
  42. Jul 27, 2011
    This game is a classic. It´s a perfect mix of action, stealth, and puzzles. The story is great, graphics are still amazing(speaking july 2011) and gameplay blew me away. Just get this game, you won´t regret it.
  43. Aug 1, 2011
    Il gioco è veramente bello e ben realizzato. Sia il comparto grafico che quello sonoro risultano molto curati. La caratterizzazione dei personaggi è curata fino al più piccolo dettaglio (le battute di joker sono imperdibili).
    Il gioco risulta "massiccio" in ogni sua componente.
    L'unica pecca è che si rischia di passare la maggior parte del
    Il gioco risulta "massiccio" in ogni sua componente.
    L'unica pecca è che si rischia di passare la maggior parte del tempo in modalità "detective" perdendo così buona parte delle bellezze che il motore grafico e gli scenari, interni ed esterni, offrono.
    Da avere nella propria raccolta di giochi.
  44. Sep 15, 2011
    What is the best in this game? It's first game that win fight against movie - i mean ,,The Dark Knight" hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  45. Oct 12, 2011
    Bought this game on the strength of reviews. It's another total console port - you really need a gamepad to play it correctly, and if that's what you want, a button-mashing console port on your PC, you'll probably be quite happy with this.

If you're not looking for console-style play, look elsewhere.
  46. Nov 23, 2011
    It's not a bad game, but there was just something about it that couldn't help keep my attention span on it. The fighting system is pretty good, the graphisc are actually decent and the camera angles and various puzzles are interesting, but there is something lacking in this game that I have had trouble putting my finger on for quite some time. I have never understood how everyone rantsIt's not a bad game, but there was just something about it that couldn't help keep my attention span on it. The fighting system is pretty good, the graphisc are actually decent and the camera angles and various puzzles are interesting, but there is something lacking in this game that I have had trouble putting my finger on for quite some time. I have never understood how everyone rants and raves about this game, other than assuming there are a tonne of batman fans out there. After trying it myself (7.50 on Steam, midweek sale baby!) I definitely got my 7.50 worth but would have never gotten my 60 dollars worth. Here's hoping everyone enjoyed Arkham City and it was a bit more expansive. Expand
  47. Oct 30, 2013
    Great graphics. Love the sandbox environment and a strong storyline for the backbone as well. Love the different gadgets and are plenty to actually feel like it's a full utility belt. Also the easter eggs are a big enough bonus to make then worth going after. The only real knock is that I find the fighting system a slight bit cumbersome and sluggish. Maybe it's my system. Maybe not. Once IGreat graphics. Love the sandbox environment and a strong storyline for the backbone as well. Love the different gadgets and are plenty to actually feel like it's a full utility belt. Also the easter eggs are a big enough bonus to make then worth going after. The only real knock is that I find the fighting system a slight bit cumbersome and sluggish. Maybe it's my system. Maybe not. Once I try it on my new system I will either bump this score to a 10 or leave it at a 9 if nothing changes. Expand
  48. Jan 14, 2013
    This was as good as a Batman movie. Many say no actor can rival Ledger in the role of the Joker and I agreed with them, but after seeing Joker in Arkham asylum it forced me to reconsider. The characters are captivating and have benefited from 50 or so years of festering in the Batman universe. I am far from being a Batman fan but this is simply a great game in too many ways to ignore.This was as good as a Batman movie. Many say no actor can rival Ledger in the role of the Joker and I agreed with them, but after seeing Joker in Arkham asylum it forced me to reconsider. The characters are captivating and have benefited from 50 or so years of festering in the Batman universe. I am far from being a Batman fan but this is simply a great game in too many ways to ignore. Using the myriad of gadgets is fun as is the combat that is very responsive and allows you to string together combos with many moves. The stealth sequences where you have to take down armed thugs strategically especially impressed me. The game was however quite short (10 hours), there is DRM in the form of Windows Live, and progressing through the game's "puzzles" (i.e. rooms) is too easy. An all around extremely polished game that sets the bar high. Expand
  49. Aug 4, 2012
    Excellent game, brings a lot of innovating aspects for his time in gameplay and many other aspects, interesting idea for a sandbox game and offers a wide range of activities before you can actually san you done it totally.
  50. Aug 5, 2012
    Arkham Asylum is probably the best game I've ever played. I wasn't a Batman fan before I played this, but I am now. It truly makes the player feel like Batman, and brings out everything good about his character. The supervillians, so often portrayed as ridiculous parodies, feel like real people, tragically transformed into horrendous monsters that you must defeat. The gameplay is alsoArkham Asylum is probably the best game I've ever played. I wasn't a Batman fan before I played this, but I am now. It truly makes the player feel like Batman, and brings out everything good about his character. The supervillians, so often portrayed as ridiculous parodies, feel like real people, tragically transformed into horrendous monsters that you must defeat. The gameplay is also amazing, smartly alternating between stealth, brawling, and other paradigms so that the game never gets boring. Fighting feels completely natural and looks beautiful. The game is extremely challenging on the highest difficulty, yet I never felt like I was cheated whenever I died; I only failed when I made a mistake. The game's only two faults are repetitive boss fights and the Windows Live requirement. Besides those two minor gripes, I cannot imagine a better game. Expand
  51. Jul 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life! With action, collectibles and challenge stages, this game is packed to the rim with entertainment! No matter where you were in the story, you were always having fun. Whether you were punching criminals, running from Killer Croc, taking out bad guys silently, defeating Poison Ivy or chasing the Joker, you were never bored in this phenomenon of a game! To put it simply, this game is a masterpiece! You ARE Batman in this game! Expand
  52. Oct 29, 2012
    This is by far one of the greatest batman games ever made, with amazing voice action, controls, combat, graphics, music and story, this game is a must for any batman fan. this game truly makes you feel like the dark knight.
  53. Dec 31, 2012
    As a standalone game, it is truly brilliant, although it does have some noticeable flaws. However, I would recommend Arkham City, its successor, over this because it surpasses it on nearly every level.
    I am hardly the world's greatest Batman fan, so I was cautious at first, but I found the game absolutely stunning. It has a very solid overall feel to it in that it is very polished and the gameplay is tight. It simply never lets itself up at any point. The story is engaging (though I personally preferred Arkham City's), the stealth mechanics are excellent, the missions are designed very well, and the voice acting is top notch (Star Wars fans should take note that Mark Hamill seems to be speaking half the time you're playing). More importantly, though, it makes you feel like Batman. You can take on loads of enemies in a brawl, use a small variety of gadgets to help you through the levels, yet you are not invincible - this means you have to use Batman's traditional stealth in order to take on armed enemies.
    The combat system, though good, can be frustrating at times, because the counter mechanic feels very broken. Thankfully, it is fixed in Arkham City and your problems of failing to counter when clicking the button are all gone. Another problem I found in this game - though many may not care - is that it is very linear. Another combat problem is that taking on enemies from a high point, or from underground, is broken as a result of this being a PC port - I have the game on PS3 as well, and it works fine on that. Again, this is all fixed in Arkham City, so the cool takedowns where you pop up from underground and grab an enemy, or when you hang an enemy from a ledge, are back in the sequel. There are no side missions at all and there is no open world feel, despite you having the ability to wander around the island as you wish. I guess I'm just a fan of non-linear games, so Arkham City's sidequests and exploration are of much appeal to me.
    Ultimately, this is a fantastic game but has a few important flaws. All is solved in the sequel, so if you must choose between the two I'd go for the second one. Regardless, this game is top quality.
  54. Feb 7, 2013
    Just awesome The story is correct, Action, platform, research and all keep the spirit of the comic. Even today, graphisms are totally correct. Fights are incredible. Batman moves are just great. This is a title to get and today for a chip price
  55. Feb 12, 2013
    an excellent game, who does not love to play as a superhero that actually relies on wits and equipments rather than superpowers... well, the graphics are great, and overall presentation is outstanding. from the opening to the end. i have not messed with the 3d vision for this game but thats just another reason to play it some more. even if not a batman fan, it is still an awesome game froman excellent game, who does not love to play as a superhero that actually relies on wits and equipments rather than superpowers... well, the graphics are great, and overall presentation is outstanding. from the opening to the end. i have not messed with the 3d vision for this game but thats just another reason to play it some more. even if not a batman fan, it is still an awesome game from a 3rd person action platforming aspect. the combat system is really fun to play with, and the slow motion '300' inspired deaths are cool. the story is obviously about batman, and his capture of the joker, his arch nemesis. mostly the story revolves around those two, and who has the endurance to fight to the end. overall, great game and ranked any lower than 9 would be an insult. Expand
  56. Apr 26, 2013
    The first of an amazing series of batman games. I can say, a family of piece of art.
    Wonderful, the gameplay is simple and smart. You have to be very strategic to achieve the goals.
  57. Jun 5, 2013
    While I've heard and read all the good stories about this game, I have to rate it a 0, the game crashes after one minute, after doing some research I discovered I am by far not alone with this problem.
  58. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is amazing, there is no reason that you shouldn't get it. Its overall an amazing game that takes you by surprise. With the current Humble Bundle, you get this game for as low as a dollar.
  59. Nov 18, 2013
    Batman AA is like every other button smasher I've ever played since the original NES. Kick, punch, roundhouse kick from one badguy to the next. Boring and cookie cutter. What happened to creativity?
  60. Apr 4, 2011
    This is a must have for any Batman fan. It's a fun game with an interesting story and great atmosphere. Fans of the 90s Batman cartoon will even recognize some voices. Only real negative here is GFWL, where it takes 15 minutes of constant logging in and patching (took several times for me) before it's playable. But I don't hold Microsoft's massive failure against the game. Still, hopefullyThis is a must have for any Batman fan. It's a fun game with an interesting story and great atmosphere. Fans of the 90s Batman cartoon will even recognize some voices. Only real negative here is GFWL, where it takes 15 minutes of constant logging in and patching (took several times for me) before it's playable. But I don't hold Microsoft's massive failure against the game. Still, hopefully the next one uses Steamworks. Expand
  61. Dec 26, 2011
    Just gotta say, the Batman games are a huge disappointment. I bought in to the hype, and I should have known better. They're generic buttom mash third person directional combat garbage. I've played this game so many times with different characters and settings it's ridiculous. To be completely honest, the Matrix games were exactly the same thing, but far far better. The Batman games getJust gotta say, the Batman games are a huge disappointment. I bought in to the hype, and I should have known better. They're generic buttom mash third person directional combat garbage. I've played this game so many times with different characters and settings it's ridiculous. To be completely honest, the Matrix games were exactly the same thing, but far far better. The Batman games get 2/10 from me. A complete waste of money, no matter the price. Expand
  62. Mar 7, 2012
    POW! BAM! Batman never looked so good! Cool gadgets, a great variety of bad guys, and a diverse story line keep this game enjoyable throughout. The character models on this game are sick--such intricate detail. Although there aren't too many fighting moves, the game play is still fun plus the gadgets and stealth kills make up for it. Even non Batman fans will have no problem enjoying thisPOW! BAM! Batman never looked so good! Cool gadgets, a great variety of bad guys, and a diverse story line keep this game enjoyable throughout. The character models on this game are sick--such intricate detail. Although there aren't too many fighting moves, the game play is still fun plus the gadgets and stealth kills make up for it. Even non Batman fans will have no problem enjoying this game, however I definitely recommend a gaming controller for the best experience. Good stuff. Expand
  63. Dec 26, 2011
    Pure perfection on every level. This is a must own for any casual gamer. The only knock I can give it is the controls using my xbox 360 wireless which needed to be modified because the direction stick was backwards. Outside of that, it was a great storyline and one of the funnest games I've ever played.
  64. Sep 10, 2012
    This game has only a few unique bosses. The others are the same boss about 5-6 times, just harder each time. Lots of luck needed on any mode but easy. You can't change difficulty mid-game so when your luck runs out, just quit and write a mediocre review on here like I did.
  65. Oct 23, 2011
    This game is just plain old-fashioned fun all the way. I'm not really a fan of Batman or the genre but I enjoyed this from start to finish. The penultimate battle was the most fun I've had in gaming for a long time. The couple of criticisms that I have are that the final battle is disappointing as you don't get to go one on one with the ememy. Also I hate games that flesh out their playingThis game is just plain old-fashioned fun all the way. I'm not really a fan of Batman or the genre but I enjoyed this from start to finish. The penultimate battle was the most fun I've had in gaming for a long time. The couple of criticisms that I have are that the final battle is disappointing as you don't get to go one on one with the ememy. Also I hate games that flesh out their playing time by sending you out to find dozens of hidden objects. This is just laziness on the devs part. But really, they have been anything but lazy on the rest of the game so can be forgiven to a large extent. Gaming is all about enjoyment isn't it? This game delivers it. Definitely worth your time. Expand
  66. Mar 18, 2012
    At first i was skeptical and thought that this will be another average heroes game, how wrong i was. Batman Arkham Asylum is the best example of how heroes game should be done or at the very least how a great game should be done. This is the first time that i felt like being Batman, and i can tell you that this feeling is great, The game has everything done perfectly from theAt first i was skeptical and thought that this will be another average heroes game, how wrong i was. Batman Arkham Asylum is the best example of how heroes game should be done or at the very least how a great game should be done. This is the first time that i felt like being Batman, and i can tell you that this feeling is great, The game has everything done perfectly from the gameplay,graphics,enemies,story,sound and everything else that you can think of, Batman Arkham Asylum was so great that even though i finished the game first time by downloading the game from the Internet i couldn't help myself but buying this game and finishing it the second time. Expand
  67. Jan 15, 2012
    Fantastic game, excellent story, very atmospheric and lovely graphics which look good even on a moderate PC. Thankfully we don't have to hear Batman's beginnings for the millionth time, the game starts with Joker in chains in Arkham Asylum and all hell lets loose from there. The fights are challenging if a little basic but do develop as you unlock more powers, great that you can tackleFantastic game, excellent story, very atmospheric and lovely graphics which look good even on a moderate PC. Thankfully we don't have to hear Batman's beginnings for the millionth time, the game starts with Joker in chains in Arkham Asylum and all hell lets loose from there. The fights are challenging if a little basic but do develop as you unlock more powers, great that you can tackle each area in your own way, you can glide kick in from a gargoyle in the ceiling and let the fists fly or take the baddies out one by one, picking them off silently and laying explosive gel on an in-mate so you can blow his buddy when he comes investigating or silent inverted takedowns... the choice is yours. The game of the year version can be picked up very cheaply now making this even more of a bargain. It's not a long game if you just follow the story through on easy/normal but play on hard and try to complete it 100% with all the collectibles/riddles and you have a much more substantial game, plus there are lots of extras, surviving wave after wave of baddies Left for Dead style for high scores is great fun and not something I'd usually bother with. Even if you choose not to dabble with these the game is worth it for the main story alone plus seeing one of the best incarnations of Joker... and Scarecrow is frightening good. It does use Games for Windows Live which we all know sucks but after the initial setup has worked flawlessly so far so can't complain. Not only one of the best Batman games of all time but a really polished affair that shows how superhero games can be tackled in a mature way, well done Rocksteady Studios. Expand
  68. Oct 20, 2011
    The first time I started this game up and played for a few hours (with some problems mind you), I really didn't like it. I had problems with Games For Windows Live, I had problems with PhysX (I have a GTX 460 and NOW it's not a problem, but was back then), and I didn't really like the combat system. In addition I wasn't exactly into the whole super hero thing, let alone batman thing.
    I
    I started hearing a little bit about Arkham City and it peaked my interest, so I decided to install this one again and see if I would enjoy it, and thereby see if Arkham City would be something for me. This time aorund, with the latest patches, and latest drivers etc, it blew me away. I find the game to be looking really good (and love the use of PhysX), I find the combat fun and engaging, I liked the story. AND OMG THE JOKER IS SO FRICKIN AWESOME! voice-wise it's on par with Heath Ledger's Joker in Batman - The Dark Knight, I liked the story, although time frame seems a bit off, but no matter. The joker is awesome in this game, I really like how **** up insane this guy sounds and acts, its amazing. I also like Harley Quinn, she acts pretty damn well too, although, as others have pointed out, the lip synch could be alot better.

There are some misses, some times you die just because something completely silly, like the camera turning the wrong way, or a graphical misshap making the scarecrow see you etc. therefor I cannot give it a 10, but a 9. It has charm, its funny, its witty, and the voice acting is great (the lip synch could be alot better), I like the combat, its flashy, easy to use, hard to master. so a 9/10 from me.
  69. Jun 21, 2011
    Captures Batman to the "B"! Excellent game. Great, fluid game play, making this game what games need to be.... enjoyable! Now If I could only do this with a friend, we'd be talking one of the best games around.
  70. Aug 2, 2012
    I'm not really a Batman fan. But this game is AWESOME :-D
    Controls are very intuitive which makes fighting bad guys really fun.
    The game has great graphics and nice slow motion effects when you off badguys in style.
    A solid 9.
  71. Feb 12, 2012
    I am not a Batman fan, nor a comic book movie/game/magazine one, but this is probably one of the best games I've played in the past years. I cannot complain about windows live and other problems because I played this on my MAC. YES, this game is also available on OSX and it runs like a charm if your system not very old or basic.

I have to say I enjoyed it better than Alice: The Madness

I have to say I enjoyed it better than Alice: The Madness Returns, although I am deeply unsatisfied with both games' maniacally obsessive compulsive collection of thousands of crap scattered around just to keep you from focusing and enjoying the story line.
  72. Jan 10, 2012
    Probably the best (definitely one of the best) video game based on a superhero character and even if you don't like superhero comics, you still get a great metroidvania game.
  73. Oct 22, 2013
    You can tell a game is amazing when someone who doesn't know anything about Batman or have any interest in action-adventure games manages to play it to 100% completion five times and STILL be prepared to play it through again. Honestly, Arkham Asylum is such a gemstone in video games and almost revolutionary for the genre. The collectibles are not a grind yet provide a challenge WITHOUTYou can tell a game is amazing when someone who doesn't know anything about Batman or have any interest in action-adventure games manages to play it to 100% completion five times and STILL be prepared to play it through again. Honestly, Arkham Asylum is such a gemstone in video games and almost revolutionary for the genre. The collectibles are not a grind yet provide a challenge WITHOUT requiring you to look them up. The stealth is tactical yet intuitive and skilful without being overcomplicated or difficult. The level design is often unpredictable and is developed at a perfect pace along with the excellent story and superb characters. The storytelling and voice acting and characters are fully developed WITH gameplay, so it's totally immersive. On top of that, it manages to restrict the player to avoid loss of immersion but gives some options throughout for exploration. These options get gradually bigger as you unlock more gadgets and use XP to get some upgrades such as armour and more gadget and combat functionality. The PC version is by far the best. The graphics are amazing and the use of PhysX makes an incredible difference at some points compared to the Xbox 360 version of the game. Also, I found that the graphics in Arkham Asylum are far better than they are on Arkham City! But let's not ignore the main point. Arkham Asylum's combat system is by far the best in the genre. Not only does it work perfectly with a controller due to the right number of gadgets, it's very good with keyboard and mouse too. Essentially a two button rhythm game but it flows NATURALLY. There are no special moves or complicated timing to learn it's all intuitive yet satisfying and rewards variety and style but doesn't punish you heavily for dropping combos. It truly is "Freeflow". The balance between puzzles, platforming, combat and stealth as well as the story development is absolute perfection in this game. Arkham Asylum is a game every gamer needs to play. Expand
  74. Jul 27, 2014
    Pro:
    Great graphics,
    Great soundtrack
    Great story
    unique combat system
    lots of secrets to find

Cons:
    Repetitive combat
    Weak boss fights
    a little on the short side
  75. Nov 2, 2011
    Great controls, great graphics. The story is a little too linear, but the universe is so immersive and the characters so polished (hello, Joker!), I found it very engaging overall. Fights are very dynamic and controls are so responsive you want to engage everyone.
    Detective mode underdelivers - why bother when you can play the entire game with detective mode ON and detect all hot spots? Give it a time limit, or limited use.
    One of the best action/adventure games I've ever played.
  76. Nov 9, 2011
    I managed to get this game for £3.75 during a Steam sale. Was expecting good, but I got Awesomely amazing, the game-play is fantastically varied, the combat feels perfect, it runs incredibly smoothly, the graphics are great, the storyline is fantastic. Everything in this game feels so... Batman. Everything. Perfect pacing. There are two faults however, the final boss is a bitI managed to get this game for £3.75 during a Steam sale. Was expecting good, but I got Awesomely amazing, the game-play is fantastically varied, the combat feels perfect, it runs incredibly smoothly, the graphics are great, the storyline is fantastic. Everything in this game feels so... Batman. Everything. Perfect pacing. There are two faults however, the final boss is a bit of let down, and it's too short. I highly recommend this game to anyone, really, it is that good. Buy it, it won't let you down. Expand
  77. Oct 16, 2013
    Walks like a bat-duck, talks like a bat-duck. This is a fantastic trip into the bat-universe and unlike a lot of licensed properties, if you took the license away you'd still have a top notch game. Hightly highly recommended.
  78. Dec 30, 2011
    Ok, hate to jump on the Batman bandwagon....but what a game! So atmospheric, so playable, tough but not unfair and the challenges kept me playing, even after I had completed the main story. If you haven't bought this game, do it....now!
  79. Jul 28, 2014
    Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Rocksteady System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Has all of the DLCs that were released separately on Vanilla Batman Arkham
    Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Has all of the DLCs that were released separately on Vanilla Batman Arkham Asylum
    +Great innovative gameplay that mixes puzzle and stealth elements well
    +Memorable iconic characters from the Batman Universe
    +A great new original storyline added to the Batman Universe

Cons
    -Music is great for atmosphere but not memorable
    -Game's main storyline can be beaten in a few hours
    -Some of the visuals - mainly environment designs look outdated to the rest of the game
  80. Jan 29, 2012
    When I first heard about a Batman game, I was not very interested. But, after I saw positive reviews I gave it a try. I was not disappointed. This game is really a good one. graphics, story, voices, atmosphere. Everything is superb. I bought "game of the year" edition, and I did not found a single bug. Only thing I did not like a lot was combat. It is easy to learn, but very hard toWhen I first heard about a Batman game, I was not very interested. But, after I saw positive reviews I gave it a try. I was not disappointed. This game is really a good one. graphics, story, voices, atmosphere. Everything is superb. I bought "game of the year" edition, and I did not found a single bug. Only thing I did not like a lot was combat. It is easy to learn, but very hard to master. Sometimes it was frustrating like hell. Especially when game does not respond instantly. That is why I gave it 9/10. In conclusion, I think this is best comic based game I have played, it really deserves your attention if you like Batman. Expand
  81. Nov 22, 2011
    This game clearly sets a standard for Arkham City to expand upon. The gameplay is near perfect with great controls. The problem is it's too short and whole game feels too restricted. You spend all your time in this one asylum and while it is a very intriguing location, the game just needs more: more locations, more stuff to do and more gadgets. From what I've heard, all these problems willThis game clearly sets a standard for Arkham City to expand upon. The gameplay is near perfect with great controls. The problem is it's too short and whole game feels too restricted. You spend all your time in this one asylum and while it is a very intriguing location, the game just needs more: more locations, more stuff to do and more gadgets. From what I've heard, all these problems will be fixed with Arkham City and will make this game look more like a blueprint for great things to come just like the original Portal. Expand
  82. Nov 6, 2013
    I enjoy this game it's the darker side of Batman. There are not a lot of super hero games out there worth playing so this is going to get a higher rating than perhaps it should. It's an older game and not very open world, but you can explore. You just can't go scaling rocks like you're in Skyrim or taking the wrong path around a tree. There will be none of that. You can't jump at all forI enjoy this game it's the darker side of Batman. There are not a lot of super hero games out there worth playing so this is going to get a higher rating than perhaps it should. It's an older game and not very open world, but you can explore. You just can't go scaling rocks like you're in Skyrim or taking the wrong path around a tree. There will be none of that. You can't jump at all for some odd reason. The camera has issues at times where it won't be where you desire. Still the environment and graphics are well done. You feel as though you are taking part in the comic book. The main characters are perfect and the people you are fighting are no pushovers. My biggest criticism is that I can't save where I'd like so I have to repeat things that were a chore which I felt should have been a save point. For the price you can get this game it's silly to say anything negative at all, but I'll offset that with a 10. Hopefully this pushes others to try to compete in comic book heroes and we get something amazing. Until then this game is king. Expand
  83. Nov 30, 2011
    The game has outstanding voice acting and story. Stunning visuals. and the bonus to play cat woman is extreamly fun. I think cat women could be a game on her own tbh. The game falls short on controls and the fact that you cannot change them. The windows live is beyond anoying. and some riddler puzzles require certain tools to be able to do them. also you cant go back to some of them later.
  84. mez
    Dec 17, 2011
    Very solid. Extremely high production values and lots of fun. The stealth bits in particular are fantastic. I didn't particularly like the hand to hand combat - it looks good, but all you have to do is click the mouse button repeatedly and you win. Not much skill required. I also would have loved to be able to stealth my way through the whole game. Being forced into distinct styles of playVery solid. Extremely high production values and lots of fun. The stealth bits in particular are fantastic. I didn't particularly like the hand to hand combat - it looks good, but all you have to do is click the mouse button repeatedly and you win. Not much skill required. I also would have loved to be able to stealth my way through the whole game. Being forced into distinct styles of play felt quite arbitrary at times - Now You Will Fight A Big Bunch Of Dudes That You Cannot Avoid. Now There Is An Annoying Boss. Now There Is A Short Stealth Section Where Fighting Is Not Allowed. But a great game, albeit one I've got no desire to revisit. And I hate Games For Windows Live as well. Just had to get that in there! Expand
  85. Dec 6, 2011
    This is, without a doubt, the best comic book story driven game I have ever played. I could go on and on about the great parts of this game, but you should just buy it and play it now rather than even finishing my recommendation. Oh, wait... you are still reading? Well, how about all the main voice stars from the Batman Animated Series also do the voices in this game? Mark Hamill as theThis is, without a doubt, the best comic book story driven game I have ever played. I could go on and on about the great parts of this game, but you should just buy it and play it now rather than even finishing my recommendation. Oh, wait... you are still reading? Well, how about all the main voice stars from the Batman Animated Series also do the voices in this game? Mark Hamill as the Joker? Yes, please! This is an adult oriented Batman game and I promise that you won't be disappointed. Expand
  86. Dec 14, 2011
    I feel kind of bad for giving such an average score to a game that so many people seem to relish, but the fact of the matter is that this game really didn't grab me. At all. The beginning did get me interested for a little while, but after my first hour or so I found myself becoming less and less interested. The story isn't all that exciting (just another typicalI feel kind of bad for giving such an average score to a game that so many people seem to relish, but the fact of the matter is that this game really didn't grab me. At all. The beginning did get me interested for a little while, but after my first hour or so I found myself becoming less and less interested. The story isn't all that exciting (just another typical superhero-must-defeat-the-supervillain-who-is-doing-something-evil scenario), and I found the characters impossible to become emotionally attached to. When I'm tasked with saving the world, I would like a game to give me a reason to save it, which usually comes in the form of immersing myself in the world and with my companions. Unfortunately, Arkham Asylum does neither. I will point out one pro; however, and that is the combat system. It's simple, intuitive, and unbelievably smooth (Assassin's Creed could learn a thing or two, here). Combat was an aspect of the game that I never got bored with, despite its repetitive nature. Perhaps the hype surrounding the game simply placed my hopes too high, but I found my interest quickly waning within the first few hours. And then, in those first few hours, the game was over. Two casual sit-downs was all it took to finish Batman. It was a letdown for me, personally. Expand
  87. Dec 30, 2011
    The voice acting is fantastic...especially the joker. The scenery is beautiful. The game looks good. The story is ok, but it could have been longer and more in depth. I really liked the sneaking around concept. I really felt like I was batman. My biggest issue was the lack of different types of enemies. The first boss is Bane, and every other boss in the game is exactly the same as BaneThe voice acting is fantastic...especially the joker. The scenery is beautiful. The game looks good. The story is ok, but it could have been longer and more in depth. I really liked the sneaking around concept. I really felt like I was batman. My biggest issue was the lack of different types of enemies. The first boss is Bane, and every other boss in the game is exactly the same as Bane except for poison Ivy. Scarecrow was creepy but not fun at all. Killer Croc wasnt even a boss....you just ran around in circles. Boss fights for me are what make super hero games great, and this one absolutely sucked. If it had good ones, I would have given it a 9. Even the Joker boss fight was Bane 5.0. Not to mention, there was no variety in the types of enemies you fought. They were all pretty much thugs with different types of weapons. The only cool part of the game was the poison ivy fight. Expand
  88. Jan 1, 2012
    This is not just the "best batman games" or best Super-hero games. it is one best videogames every. The atmosphere and the way it really makes you feel like batman: both the advantages and limitations of the character. And the Joker is the best Villain EVER! it worth it just to hear Mark Hamel's sinister--yet hilarious voice acting! Highly recommended
  89. Jan 10, 2012
    Batman has always been my favorite superhero, and now Arkham Asylum has become my favorite game. Rocksteady did an amazing job with the engine of this game. Everything flows incredibly smoothly. From the combat to the stealth to grappling around all over the place to the detective gadgets, this game just feels amazing. The game is linear, but the world is open enough with plenty to do thatBatman has always been my favorite superhero, and now Arkham Asylum has become my favorite game. Rocksteady did an amazing job with the engine of this game. Everything flows incredibly smoothly. From the combat to the stealth to grappling around all over the place to the detective gadgets, this game just feels amazing. The game is linear, but the world is open enough with plenty to do that this is never a problem. Also, the game lets you decide how you want to play the game. Do you want to be more stealthy and pick off thugs one at a time, do you want to set-up traps and use your gadgets, or do you want to start a huge fist fight and combo the crap out of people? The additional content is all really great too. The Riddler puzzles and hidden trophies give you a challenge to work through and then reward you with nice bonus maps with their own challenges (such as take out 3 thugs with a single charge detonation). I really liked collecting the asylum patient interviews of all the villains as it gave an interesting background for those unfamiliar with some characters. There's just a lot to do, and it's all done very well. It does have some flaws. The story is... well, there as filler. The boss battles are generally poor. No auto-run gets annoying. The writing is less than great. All of these are minor issues though. This game quickly became my favorite game of all time, and I look forward to playing the rest of the trilogy! Expand
  90. Jan 15, 2012
    I'm not usually a big Batman fan, and the combat seemed a little simple at first. But I ended up really liking this game. The graphics are fantastic. The combat ends up being great, complex and challenging. I usually hate stealth games but really liked this one.
  91. Feb 17, 2012
    awesome game!already owned it on 360 but liked it enough to add to my pc library,graphics are great,ran smooth all the way through,story is short but not too bad,hard to stop playing "just one more checkpoint",highly recommended and for the few quid i paid for the goty version in a steam sale you cannot go wrong
  92. Mar 13, 2012
    Good
    - Great atmosphere with great level design, good cut scenes and nice narrative.
    - Good extras
    Bad
    - Few identical boss fights
    - Final boss fight is just bad
    - Console port with console controls
  93. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A long night inside the biggest and dangerous prison of the world, the Arkham Asylum !
    Fight against Joker, Ivy poison and all the rest of villains !
    Beat Dr. Nigma and his questions also !
  94. Apr 25, 2012
    I just finished the game yesterday, and I have to say it's one of the best computer games I've played in my 28 years. The history was really great, and the game still looks really beautiful three years after it's release.

I had no plans to play Batman: Arkham City, but after this, I can't wait to play the sequel.
  95. Apr 30, 2012
    Brilliant game that had me hooked untill completion. Great graphics and gameplay, heaps of hidden content. The story and atmosphere are spot on and the gadgets are great. I played with keyboard and mouse, occasionally switching to 360 controller for different combat situations (which the game did on the fly - no menu). I'm not much for sneaking around, but this game made it fun and wasn'tBrilliant game that had me hooked untill completion. Great graphics and gameplay, heaps of hidden content. The story and atmosphere are spot on and the gadgets are great. I played with keyboard and mouse, occasionally switching to 360 controller for different combat situations (which the game did on the fly - no menu). I'm not much for sneaking around, but this game made it fun and wasn't overdone. Combat worked very well and Batman seamlessly took on large groups of enemies. Boss battles were challenging and fun. Top game Expand
  96. May 6, 2012
    This game is in the vein of Alice, and Madness Returns, and Psychonauts. Better graphics than any of them with less style (same recycled style of recent Batman movies.) Simplified controls with in game tutorial prompts and solid response. This game would be a solid 9 (10 if you like Batman). I personally have to drop the score as I constantly found myself looking to recoup enjoyment sinceThis game is in the vein of Alice, and Madness Returns, and Psychonauts. Better graphics than any of them with less style (same recycled style of recent Batman movies.) Simplified controls with in game tutorial prompts and solid response. This game would be a solid 9 (10 if you like Batman). I personally have to drop the score as I constantly found myself looking to recoup enjoyment since install required FIVE different non game software packages (Steam, SecuROM, Windows Games, Nvidia Phsyx requiring brand specific card for full features, and XNA, plus DirectX and Game itself), three separate logins, two cd key entries, and SIX firewall exemptions, all for a game that you MUST be connected to save or access content. This game is seriously a needed boost for the dark humor action vain that always recieves attention for it's rarity and it does not disappoint. As a purchase It's hard to recommend if you are not a serious gamer who already has gone through every hoop already and don't love the Bat, since Alice, Riddick and a couple others can do the same.

If this is just adding to your library then it is a wild and flowing ride that certainly delivers entertain dollar.
  97. May 14, 2012
    Playing this game is a huge success, if you ever wanted to act like the Dark Knight and wondered how it's gonna feel. You can do almost everything - you will experience Batman's perfect martial skills, use his arsenal of gadgets, jump through obstacles, cliffs and rails, you will glide over the Arkham island, you have the 'detective mode' as seen in the "The Dark Knight' movie. ByPlaying this game is a huge success, if you ever wanted to act like the Dark Knight and wondered how it's gonna feel. You can do almost everything - you will experience Batman's perfect martial skills, use his arsenal of gadgets, jump through obstacles, cliffs and rails, you will glide over the Arkham island, you have the 'detective mode' as seen in the "The Dark Knight' movie. By progressing the game and picking up various items you also learn a lot about the Batman universe, about its characters, villains, Batman's background and tons of other data. I would think of this game as an encyclopedia of the whole Batman universe, with the addition you can deal with the bad guys yourselves, including Joker, Poison Ivy, Bane and many others. However, what I did not enjoy about the game was the combat system. To be more specific, I do not consider myself a hardcore player and the electric rod and knives guys really drove me insane, mostly during the final battle. I just needed more training I guess. But despite of this, Batman: AA is a huge success in converting the Dark Knight into a very enjoyable and interactive experience. Expand
  98. May 14, 2012
    Batman Arkham Assylum is a GOTY among GOTY.. More like GOTHYC

The combat system is simple but not as much as you think... HAving a perfect combo needs perfect reflexes and skills. The history looks like a mix between the latest movies and the comic books (the music sounds a lot like the actual batman). The interaction Between Joker and batman is priceless. Is so accurate as reading a
    Batman Arkham Assylum is a GOTY among GOTY.. More like GOTHYC

The history looks like a mix between the latest movies and the comic books (the music sounds a lot like the actual batman). The interaction Between Joker and batman is priceless. Is so accurate as reading a comic.

Taking the role of batman is just perfect. This game makes you act and behave like batman. You are a hero, but dark, and you don't only are a warrior, you are a detective.

The history, the ambience ,

The combat system... All of them perfect.

But here comes the Letdowns

Lack of bosses... most of them are clones of the last with better attacks...

The mobs are fine... But there could be more. The only thing this game needed was more enemies... Especially bosses. But other than that, this game deserves a 9
  99. May 19, 2012
    I consider, the best games I have in my hands. A masterpiece. The graphics, music, gameplay is excellent. Compatible with nvidia 3DVision, the game is long, has a history, you can improve the character, has challenges, ... the true gem.

1. The result is so good that we're declaring it an easy 'Best of' contender for 2009.
  2. I can say with confidence and cannot stress enough, Batman: Arkham Asylum is, without a doubt, the best Batman game ever created. It does more than give you the Batman game you want, it gives you a video game that you could play repeatedly, even if it didn't have the caped and cowled Dark Knight in it.
  3. There isn’t a single element of Arkham Asylum that isn’t polished to the utmost degree.