Batman: Arkham Asylum PC

8.7

1. Aug 19, 2017
    The game is good, but it does not reach the masterpiece (as all authoritative publications screamed about it), a primitive combat system and monotony, in general, it came to an end with difficulty. But if you are a fan of Batman, the trilogy of Arkham is obligatory for passage.
  2. Aug 16, 2017
    Batman: Arkham Asylum successfully delivers the justice that the Dark Knight deserves, bringing about one of his most remarkable adventures in gaming.
  3. Aug 12, 2017
    What I loved about this game at the time, and still do, is its mix of the old and the new. In some ways it was quite innovative, with its combat system that was subsequently copied a lot in other games. But in many ways it's very traditional too, especially in terms of it's level design and pacing (which is all masterfully done), and harkens back to game design of the late-90's andWhat I loved about this game at the time, and still do, is its mix of the old and the new. In some ways it was quite innovative, with its combat system that was subsequently copied a lot in other games. But in many ways it's very traditional too, especially in terms of it's level design and pacing (which is all masterfully done), and harkens back to game design of the late-90's and early-00's, taking place in a rigid timeline in one enclosed location over a single night, with clever backtracking (not the padding kind) and each room being important in at least a small way. If I had to list all the things I like about this game, it's excellent level design and pacing would be right at the top. Although I know it’s an unpopular opinion, it's unfortunate that they decided to throw all that out the window in the sequels and follow the open world trend. I didn't enjoy Arkham City even half as much, and as a result I haven't been interested in playing any of the others.

Another unpopular opinion: I normally HATE superhero stories and characters. I find it all really irritating, silly, and overly campy. So, the fact that I enjoy this game so much is really a testament to how well-made it is. I can look past all the things that usually turn me off, and they don’t get in the way of my fun.

The only negative point I can think of is that the movement controls are a little stiff, which is fine for methodical planning, but annoying when something goes wrong and you need to act fast.
  4. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  5. Jul 10, 2017
    Smaller and more intimate than any of its successors, Arkham Asylum thrives on its story, atmosphere and punchy free-flow gameplay. While missing the blatant heroics of Arkham City and Knight (and Origins), Asylum uses its smaller scope to provide a plethora of intricate details that would be lost in a larger game. A video-gaming classic.
    Total size on my hard drive: 8 GB
    You can view
    Total size on my hard drive: 8 GB
    You can view the opening of the game here.

++ No more Games For Windows Live (GFWL). It is gone.

+ Though older now, Arkham Asylum still looks great (Unreal 3). And, being older, it’s fairly easy to crank up the fancy settings.
    + Great voice-acting. Many major characters from Batman: The Animated Series are here, headlined by Hamill and Conroy, and includes Arleen Sorkin’s only appearance in the Batman games as Harley Quinn (Sorkin was replaced by Tara Strong for Arkham City and later installments).
    + Great soundtrack. Not as heroic as Arkham City’s, but darker and more moody.
    + Great atmosphere. Reeks of macabre gloom.
    + A large gallery of rogues in spite of being the smallest Arkham game (Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane, Joker, Zsasz and others).
    + The first iteration of the rhythmic Arkham combat is very satisfying, though with fewer gadgets and special moves compared to later games.
    + Packed with trivia and collectibles. Be sure to randomly scan with X-ray vision every now and then; you never know what you might discover. Refreshing to have some that are NOT Riddler-related.

+/- Decent story. Once the Joker takes over, the momentum doesn’t slow until the end of the game. A few things might not make sense if you think about them too much, though.
    +/- Many narrow corridors make some levels feel very restricted.
    +/- Can be confusing to navigate. Sometimes you’re supposed to turn around and backtrack, but nothing tells you to do so.
    +/- Challenge maps are indeed challenging, but there aren’t as many as in later games. Still great for practicing the combat.

- Backtracking. There is a lot of it. Clear an area, proceed on, get a new gadget, go back and – whoops, there are new thugs in the room, time to clear it again.
    - In what becomes a recurring theme in the Arkham games (except Origins, which was created by a different studio), boss battles are lack-luster. Usually they involve a horde-mode of some kind; others require spamming batarangs and dodging.
    - The final boss fight happens from a locked camera perspective. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

Arkham Asylum is easily the game that will be remembered for redefining Batman in the genre. While later games in the franchise scale great heights of impossible heroism, it’s Arkham Asylum that remains the preferred choice if you just want to “chill with Batman” without the fate of all of Gotham (and perhaps the world) hanging in the balance.
  6. Apr 20, 2017
    This is not only the best batman game but also one of the best games out there.
    -Fantastic graphics.
    -Great voice acting. -Amazing story. -Amazing gameplay. -Great level design. There is no fault in this game what so ever. Its much better than the movies in my opinion. I love Origins, Arkham Asylum and City. What a fantastic Trilogy. Too bad that Arkham Knight was not as good too
    This is not only the best batman game but also one of the best games out there.
    -Fantastic graphics.
    -Great voice acting.
    -Amazing story.
    -Amazing gameplay.
    -Great level design.

There is no fault in this game what so ever. Its much better than the movies in my opinion. I love Origins, Arkham Asylum and City. What a fantastic Trilogy. Too bad that Arkham Knight was not as good too damn much of batmobile gameplay what a stupid way to ruine the last game in the series.
  7. Feb 16, 2017
    This game is a true homage to the Dark Knight. Batman Arkham Asylum is a game that delivers an amazing experience. The gameplay is very easy to access and is quite enjoyable. Rockstady passion for the DC hero can be felt through the graphics, the sound, the environment, and the quest. It is true that the story line takes place in a relatively confined environment (the Arkham Asylum), andThis game is a true homage to the Dark Knight. Batman Arkham Asylum is a game that delivers an amazing experience. The gameplay is very easy to access and is quite enjoyable. Rockstady passion for the DC hero can be felt through the graphics, the sound, the environment, and the quest. It is true that the story line takes place in a relatively confined environment (the Arkham Asylum), and that the boss fights could have been more spectacular, but these small drawbacks don't hinder an other wise exceptional experience. It is aesthetically superb with a great Gothic vibe. (yes even in 2015, the game has graphically aged pretty well). I am looking forward to jump on Batman: Arkham City!

Verdict: A
  8. Oct 10, 2016
    On a whole this game is excellent. It gets you into the story and keeps you there until the game ends. I loved the controls even though I used an Xbox 360 controller on my PC. I would recommend this highly to anyone who wants a good single player action game.
  9. Sep 1, 2016
    I never really liked any super hero,but when I played this game,Batman became my favorite series.I read,watched and played everything about Batman.
    10/10 not any game can take hours of my life
  10. Aug 9, 2016
    This game is a amazing 3rd person combat game playing as Batman! All of the different bosses such as Harley Quinn, The Joker, The scarecrow and Killer croc! But the main part of the game is to get face to face with Joker. (Obviously) You also have a bunch of classic Batman tools! This game is very fun and it is very hard to beat!
  11. Jul 14, 2016
    One of the best first installation of a action adventure series in recent years, adapted from comics no less! The freeflow combat system, originated from the AC series, is already perfected in this first game. You also get some gadgets for personalised fighting styles. Scripted stealth events and investigations are more emphasised in the first game during which you have to use theOne of the best first installation of a action adventure series in recent years, adapted from comics no less! The freeflow combat system, originated from the AC series, is already perfected in this first game. You also get some gadgets for personalised fighting styles. Scripted stealth events and investigations are more emphasised in the first game during which you have to use the Detective Mode for clues, but the Mode is so powerful (you can see through all obstacles, find all the thugs in the room and the clues are highlighted) that I think all players spend most of time in it. It is tuned down in the sequel fortunately. Graphics and controls are very nicely optimised for PC.

This game might not be as polished as its sequel Arkham City, but it is just as fun and as good in a different way. The way I see it, Asylum is made for hardcore Batman fans while City is made for mainstream gamers. You get a bunch of references of the Arkham Asylum comic. It is darker and is designed to make you feel isolated and helpless in a locked down Asylum. City is more about exploration and war on an epic scale (and personal struggles of Bruce Wayne). If you ask me which game is better, I'd just ask you to play them both.
  12. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 9
    Story : 8
    Sound : 9
    Overall : 9
  13. Jul 1, 2016
    This is the first game in a very long time where I actually dreaded the bosses. An excellently atmospheric Assassin's Creed-esque adventure game held back by cookie cutter play-by-the-numbers recycled boss fights and a predictable game structure. Its a real shame that the bosses are so phoned in because its the only thing keeping this game from being excellent. I'd highly recommend pickingThis is the first game in a very long time where I actually dreaded the bosses. An excellently atmospheric Assassin's Creed-esque adventure game held back by cookie cutter play-by-the-numbers recycled boss fights and a predictable game structure. Its a real shame that the bosses are so phoned in because its the only thing keeping this game from being excellent. I'd highly recommend picking this up as long as you don't expect anything from the bosses going into them (I actually yelled at my computer at how lazily they were designed at one point).

Pros:
    +Incredible attention to detail in all aspects of the game
    +Non-linear world that feels packed with things to do
    +Very fluid combat that is actually challenging on Hard
    +"Puzzle rooms" that don't involve pushing boxes
    +Balances stealth, combat, and platforming enjoyably
    +Crams in as much Batman lore as possible while keeping enough of it optional
    +Everything with Scarecrow

Cons:
    -Incredibly bad (lazy) bosses
    -Sometimes feels like "Adventures in Crawling in Vents & Kicking Grates: Batman Edition"
  14. Jun 22, 2016
    + Fighting mechanics
    + Long-lasting gameplay duration
    + 2010 is fine for a game in graphics
    + Plenty of side quests

-Easy boss battles (Especially that last boss)
    -Repetitive gameplay
  15. Jun 12, 2016
    this game is a joke for adult players: The gameplay is so simple: press button and something awesome will happen, haha. Somebody wrote the AI is intelligent..haha. So a classic console game: simple and easy... There are some good sides of this game: graphic is great and the performance perfect. Anyway it doesnt help the gameplay.
  16. Jun 10, 2016
    Short review!!! ---Spoiler free---
    Nice gameplay, good graphics (since it's a 2009 game), fail ending:(...But the atmosphere on this game is just amazing. You'll feel like you're indeed in an asylum. And joker has plans for you...

Overall: 8/10
  17. Apr 17, 2016
    Waaaaay too many 10s on this list for my liking. A 10 is a perfect game that hits all the buttons and while Batman: Arkham Asylum is a really great game it does have its drawbacks. The combat is fluid and smooth, as well as the movement, grapple and gliding. The Graphics are great, the combos are excellently scripted and executed and the boss battles are unique. The game has tons ofWaaaaay too many 10s on this list for my liking. A 10 is a perfect game that hits all the buttons and while Batman: Arkham Asylum is a really great game it does have its drawbacks. The combat is fluid and smooth, as well as the movement, grapple and gliding. The Graphics are great, the combos are excellently scripted and executed and the boss battles are unique. The game has tons of minigamers to enjoy, including riddler challenges and extra fight content as well as other stuff. Now for my small criticisms and why the game doesnt deserve a 10. One, the use of the detective skill is somewhat demeaning. They arent mysteries, more like follow this here, take picture, move on, Batman thinks through the rest. My 2nd qualm is the xray type vision you get. This is the single most exploitative and useful piece of equipment in the game. I love it and I hate it. It makes those beautiful takedowns too easy and I am always aware of everyone else's presence in a room. This really diminishes from the feectiveness of the challenge. Most people would say "Wlel just dont use it", but its there. I dont agree with the assessment on the voice acting as the cold comments made by Batman and the great liners made by Joker and Harley were amusing. As well, I must defend this game from the idea of no-multiplayer. What doyou want, Joker fighting Batman in 1v1? Team plays? A multiplayer for this game would have been no more then a cheesy gimmick. My only other qualm was that the storyline was somewhat short. However, this isnt the fallback of the game, its more the experience of the gamer. People new to games or whom like to take this time could easily rack up 6-12 hours of gameplay while the traditional and experienced gamer could probably navigate the game in one sitting of 4-5 hours. However, thats only a minor drawback but it would have been fun to see more content. I hope that the sequel will be of as good quality. Expand
  18. Apr 13, 2016
    El primer Batman Arkham que jugué (no en steam la primera vez) y es el último que juego teniendolos todos en steam.
    Con este juego señores comenzó una gran saga ,donde la mayor cantidad de mecánicas fueron empezadas en este juego.
    Si tuviera que elegir cual de los 4 arkham es mi favorito, no sabría decirlo, pero estaría entre este o el city. La gran gracia que tiene Asylum, es que es el
    La gran gracia que tiene Asylum, es que es el batman más como lo queremos, no tan super op en combates como en las posteriores entregas (ojo que no critico la jugabilidad, me refiero a la sensación de sentirse un Batman) y ese espíritu más como de metroidvania, donde vas adquiriendo mejoras y tienes que volver a las primeras zonas para econtrar nuevas rutas y coleccionables. Sin duda un gran juegazo de la pasada generación, un paradigma, un juego que hay que jugar, sobre todo si te gusta el universo DC. La saga Arkham le debe todo a esta gran piedra angular.
    Me la pasé muy bien juntando todos los colectibles del Riddler, no así con las sgtes entregas que lo encuentro más tedioso, quizás lo intente con el Arkham City. veremos...

9.8/10
  19. Apr 4, 2016
    I made the mistake of playing this after Arkham City so my impression is probably slightly biased. In comparison I found this a noticeable step down. The environment especially was no where near as exciting and felt confining. Story was ok and the voice acting spotty but sometimes good. The mechanics of Batman weren't as polished either. Overall, worth playing but I can't possibly seeI made the mistake of playing this after Arkham City so my impression is probably slightly biased. In comparison I found this a noticeable step down. The environment especially was no where near as exciting and felt confining. Story was ok and the voice acting spotty but sometimes good. The mechanics of Batman weren't as polished either. Overall, worth playing but I can't possibly see how you would put this on the same level as Arkham City. Expand
  20. Jan 2, 2016
    Best Superhero game ever. Excellent batman story. Dark atmosphere with excellent combat.

Graphics: 10
    Game play : 9
    Combat: 9
    World Design: 9
    Content: 7
    Immersion: 10
    Story: 10
  21. Dec 20, 2015
    A surprisingly long game with tight mechanics. The combat is not deprived of depth but it is definitely repetitive. The stealth sessions are solid . The platforming and puzzles are shallow but do a descent job of breaking the monotony of combat . The story is serviceable and the visuals are immersive. This is a pretty good game, nothing more. Arkham Asylum is longer than its sequel, andA surprisingly long game with tight mechanics. The combat is not deprived of depth but it is definitely repetitive. The stealth sessions are solid . The platforming and puzzles are shallow but do a descent job of breaking the monotony of combat . The story is serviceable and the visuals are immersive. This is a pretty good game, nothing more. Arkham Asylum is longer than its sequel, and sports superior pacing and narrative. Definitely play it if you enjoy Batman and give it a try if you are curious. That said, if you were not interested in the first place, you haven't missed much. This game is vastly overrated. Expand
  22. Dec 11, 2015
    Very good game, let's go for pros and cons now

PROS: Graphics are good for a old game
    Very good combat, it is recommended you get the critical strike upgrade, combat does take time to master
    Think like a detective

CONS
    There is none!

you must get this game.
  23. Nov 29, 2015
    Batman Arkham Asylum is a really excellent game. The story and the game play are also good.
    Be the Batman is awesome. Worth to buy the Game of the year edition.
  24. Nov 24, 2015
    This is the one that star it all. In this game you feel like the Batman. Some said that Arkham City is better for being an open game and I do love that, but there is something special in being in the asylum hunting the Joker. One of the greatest games ever!
  25. Nov 8, 2015
    So, I’m not a batman fan. I’ve seen maybe 2 of the movies and never played any of the games before this. I must say that this was a fantastic introduction to the franchise. Every aspect of the game feels well thought out - the story is excellent, controls are easy to pick up, even the graphics have held up after 5 years. It doesn’t matter if you’re going stealth or full combat, glidingSo, I’m not a batman fan. I’ve seen maybe 2 of the movies and never played any of the games before this. I must say that this was a fantastic introduction to the franchise. Every aspect of the game feels well thought out - the story is excellent, controls are easy to pick up, even the graphics have held up after 5 years. It doesn’t matter if you’re going stealth or full combat, gliding around, throwing batarangs, wandering the grounds or playing the story - everything was just a lot of fun. Plus, if you want a distraction from the main game you can also hunt for collectibles, solve riddler puzzles, or compete in combat challenges. I wish all games could be this polished! Expand
  26. Nov 3, 2015
    Justice. Fists. Batman.
    Justice. Fists. Batman.
    You are the caped crusader who is playing tango with your ultimate nemesis, the Joker. With a good handful of other villains added into the story, all well connected oh how and why. You can find so many hidden gems playing through Arkham Asylum that explore the story of other not so popular villains and characters in the Batman universe. Game is very linear but that is not a bad thing, the story is well thought out and plays out much like a comic book or several comic books. Roughly 10 hours of gameplay if you work on the story and some of the riddles around Arkham, I ended with about 75% completion on the first go through on hard difficulty.
    Only negative thing I would point out is some of the dialogue in non cut scenes between Batman and characters is bland and dull with very little emotion or effort put fourth. Dry.
  27. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Some of the smoothest and most visceral beat'em'up gameplay on offer
    + Fun progression system and variety of mechanics that mostly interplay nicely + Good world design in terms of visuals, decent level design for gameplay ? Scarecrow sequences are interesting but not particularly engaging in terms of gameplay ? Side content and collectibles seem forced and mostly tedious ?
    Tier 2
    + Some of the smoothest and most visceral beat'em'up gameplay on offer
    + Fun progression system and variety of mechanics that mostly interplay nicely
    + Good world design in terms of visuals, decent level design for gameplay
    ? Side content and collectibles seem forced and mostly tedious
    ? World feels hollow and gamey despite trying to establish a dark and compelling experience
    - Disjointed narrative concerned more with hitting the marks of "Batman Plot Points" than with telling an interesting story
  28. Jul 8, 2015
    Good story that i liked while i was playing.I recommend this game to everyone.İf you have a hesitation to buy game, dont believe the hesitation.Buy and enjoy :)
  29. Jun 29, 2015
    - Good: Atmosphere, Pacing
    - Mixed: Story, Gameplay, Setting, Soundtrack
    - Bad: ---

If you are not Batman fan this game is nothing special, slightly above average.
  30. Jun 4, 2015
    The more I play this game, the more I love it. It's really well done, combat mechanism is a blast, graphics are awesome, game-play and controls are top notch and overall, it's extremely well polished. What else can you ask for? One of my favourite games of all time.
  31. May 30, 2015
    The game is a joke. I cant agree more with all the other negative reviews. a 91 seriously? its a cheesy, non-engaging, hand-holding children's game. I never did really trust Metacritic's reviews. Im sure the producers fattened their wallets happily. POS game
  32. Apr 22, 2015
    This is awesome game, one of the best batman games ever
    Great graphics, Great story, Amazing animation and physics, and it was amazing start for the batman Arkham series.
  33. Jan 25, 2015
    Batman Arkham Asylum-a detailed review

Plot summary: Joker has took control of Arkham Asylum,releasing murderers freaks and monsters,he is planning something huge,stop him. Batman Arkham Asylum is a dark,gritty take on the dark knight.The good thing is that it stays true to the comics with many familiar villains and a general batman story.But the plot has many twists and turns with
    Batman Arkham Asylum-a detailed review

Plot summary:

Batman Arkham Asylum is a dark,gritty take on the dark knight.The good thing is that it stays true to the comics with many familiar villains and a general batman story.But the plot has many twists and turns with a variety of challenges along the way.

The game play is one of the best fighting action games I have ever seen.Its simple attack,combo and dodge. Thats what makes it good, its simple yet incredibly satisfying to punch a thug in the face the fly kick him across the room.You can get upgrades to upgrade certain moves you can do.Like combos and an move called an inverted take down where you can take down a thug from above them.

The graphics are great,they have a very dark,dirty tone to them.Which sets the mood for Arkham Asylum.The character designs are brilliant-Batman has a bad ass suit.The joker looks like joker but more realistic and dark than ever.And everything just looks great.

Overall I think Batman Arkham Asylum is a really good game.I thoroughly enjoyed it,I give it a solid 9/10
  34. Jan 14, 2015
    Ok... Este juego me sorprendió... No para bien si me lo preguntan. Simplemente no llego a ver el GOTY que todos dicen... Empecemos.

Para empezar el juego se divide en 3 secciones que usaras constantemente, el combate, el sigilo, y el modo detective. El combate es extremadamente simple, intenso, fluido y algo relajante. Es un combate para raza de los casuales, de eso no ahí duda. Por lo que aun que seas un niño pequeño podrás entrar a este combate. Sin embargo tiene sus defectos, aveces los enemigos te darán golpes aunque sus golpes ni te rocen. Y las paredes son un problema, si te chocas con una pared en el combate, Batman se alterara y no dará golpes donde tu le indiques. Aun así al final es bueno. Sigue el sigilo, es simple y satisfactorio, solo tienes que caminar a espaldas de los enemigos y listo, también puedes usar gárgolas para ir por el techo, usar los juguetes de Batman para distraer o noquear, etc. Pero tiene un problema, solo funciona con enemigos que tengan armas de fuego, por lo que si entras a una sala con 20 personas sin armas no podrás usarlo, te verán de una forma in-humana, como Superman. El modo detective es detectar 1 prueba en una sala, ya esta, no tiene mas utilidad y casi podría ser un cinemática, pero se agradece que nos den el control en estas zonas. Otro problema es la historia, es extremadamente simple, y desaprovechada. Solo ves algunos de los muchos villanos de Batman, y solo peleas con 2 de ellos. Y las batallas de jefe son terribles, son enemigos grandotes con un patrón de ataque igual uno del otro. ahí unas 5 en todo el juego, y no cuento las del Espanta Pajaros por que es mas un escape que una pelea. Huyes hasta encontrar una luz y listo, siempre. El Cocodrilo Asesino tampoco cuenta por que es igual, escapar. Las que no son escape son simples y aburridas, Hiedra Venenosa y el Joker son las únicas diferentes, y de echo son peores que las de Bane y sus clones... Y hablando de el Joker... Es increíble, el actor de voz hace un trabajo increíble, y tiene muy buenos diálogos, aunque no me convence del todo... Aun así esta muy bien, y el juego esta en español, esta traducido con voces de actores y son muy buenas. Y las mejoras... Son muy útiles, cada una mejora a Batman, en especial las de combate. Yo pensaba que serían malas o cambiarían demasiado el combate que ya estaba, pero cuando entre a los retos del juego me costaba mucho, pero cuando decidí desbloquearlos y sutilmente todas las peleas se volvieron fáciles, las habilidades son útiles, hasta la ultima. El diseño de niveles esta... Mediocre. Algunas zonas de el asilo se sienten reales, y otras no tienen sentido, es muy raro. Pero el asilo esta lleno de coleccionables, todos son interesantes, tienes grabaciones de varios villanos de Batman, múltiples dibujos con historia y datos de varios personajes, este juego tiene calidad y contenido. Pero no me duro mucho... Yo suelo re-jugar un juego hasta obtener todos los logros y apenas me duro unas 40 horas para pasármelo con sus logros, mientras que otros juegos me duran el doble. Un hack and slash me dura mas. Y eso que son lineales a mas no poder. Seguro para ti es entretenimiento de sobra, así que al final... El increíble combate, el sigilo simple y divertido, el contenido extra a montones y varios desafíos que completar... Pero sale la patética historia, los problemas no refinados de el combate y sigilo, los mal aprovechados villanos con sus malas peleas de jefe, y un mapa algo complicado al mostrar objetivo... Al final no veo el GOTY, no lo veo, pero aun así es un buen juego que por 19.99 es entretenimiento de sobra, en especial por descuento como yo lo conseguí. Por su precio de 19.99 le doy un 08/10, es un buen juego que si consigues en promoción te hará feliz.
  35. Dec 14, 2014
    I tried it because of all the hype, but it's a letdown. The game is completely linear so far, so it's like you're just watching a movie and pressing a button at the right time. (Now press F to glide down and hit that guy...) Click over and over for punch, punch, fancy punch... etc. Bleh. Boring.
  36. Dec 5, 2014
    Showing the fact, what games like this one, can be more for people, what were before "their own try" judging them and after "that try", they realised the real truth!..
  37. Sep 20, 2014
    I really don't get the hype about this game, and I'm a huge Batman fan (and a huge gamer). The combat is horrid... it's just a button masher. It's sooooo easy. I feel like the difficulty is catered to 6-7 year olds... or maybe Dark souls just spoiled me?
  38. Sep 4, 2014
    Excellent is not the best word to describe this game. Epic, on the other hand, is. Great in every aspect, this game will give you a true gaming experience and you will love it even more if you are a Batman fan like me. No negative things to point out really. Best Batman game of all time.
  39. Aug 27, 2014
    The batman game fans always want , with stunning graphics, cool plot, and awesome combat system, this is one of this gen best games.You definitely dont want to miss this one.
  40. Aug 17, 2014
    It's a great game, the ambietation is good, the controls work fine and the challenges work well. The only problem is the really short camapign, but it's preatty fun. Ah, and have I mentioned the giant muscular Joker? Like... what the **** EIDOS? Joker is all about brains, not about sheer force and power.
  41. Aug 13, 2014
    It's good in some ways and a pain in the *** in other ways. Some of the major battles require you to work with the WASD keys in a weird action mode and it makes it even more difficult to accomplish anything, which in turn makes it frustrating. And I'm playing on easy just because I want to get it over with! If you find this game for under $20 it might be worth it, but other than that, theIt's good in some ways and a pain in the *** in other ways. Some of the major battles require you to work with the WASD keys in a weird action mode and it makes it even more difficult to accomplish anything, which in turn makes it frustrating. And I'm playing on easy just because I want to get it over with! If you find this game for under $20 it might be worth it, but other than that, the more recent Batman Gotham City is a much better version of the game series. Expand
  42. Jul 28, 2014
    Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Rocksteady System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Has all of the DLCs that were released separately on Vanilla Batman Arkham
    Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Has all of the DLCs that were released separately on Vanilla Batman Arkham Asylum
    +Great innovative gameplay that mixes puzzle and stealth elements well
    +Memorable iconic characters from the Batman Universe
    +A great new original storyline added to the Batman Universe

Cons
    -Music is great for atmosphere but not memorable
    -Game's main storyline can be beaten in a few hours
    -Some of the visuals - mainly environment designs look outdated to the rest of the game
  43. Jul 27, 2014
    Pro:
    Great graphics,
    Great soundtrack
    Great story
    unique combat system
    lots of secrets to find

Cons:
    Repetitive combat
    Weak boss fights
    a little on the short side
  44. May 22, 2014
    There really is no other score appropriate for this game. I don't hand out many 10's, but this game deserves it. Beautiful textures, smooth gameplay, tight controls, and a good storyline make this a must-buy.
  45. May 15, 2014
    A really amazing game with loads of replay value in it.
    Amazing storyline, Id say great character development but its a Batman game.
    Batman is already well developed and they captured that perfectly.
  46. Apr 17, 2014
    In general a good start for a batman series, but the controls in general feels sometimes like playing with broken fingers.
    The area is small and the quest is let you run always across it :-( .Fighting is funny when you are familiar with controls once. Batman looks dangerous but in fact he is a ****
  47. Apr 15, 2014
    Last Played: March 2014 (with XBOX controller)
    PROS: + Who doesn’t want to be Batman? + Fighting system has its moments, though also has frustrating times. + Feels like a Batman movie/comic.
    CONS: -Way shorter than expected (~15 hours first time playthrough). – D-pad inventory selection clunky at best. –Some frustrating sequences. REVIEW: When a game this highly rated goes on sale for
    Last Played: March 2014 (with XBOX controller)
    REVIEW: When a game this highly rated goes on sale for $5, who can resist? I had very high expectations for this game, and looked forward to “being” Batman. And if we are being honest, that is really the main point in playing a Batman game, so the fact that this one does a really good job making you feel like the “caped crusader” is commendable. Since Batman relies on non-lethal force, this game puts an understandable emphasis on hand-to-hand combat, which is for the most part fluid and rewarding (though button-mashers will probably find it hard). Players also get to sneak up on the baddies and knock them out one at a time-it is pretty gratifying to listen to the others get increasingly panicked as you nab them one by one. Also-the story, while patchy, is at least not outrageously dumb (“Injustice”, anyone?), or at least it isn’t too dumb for characters that normally exist in books with fewer than 1,000 words.
    Unfortunately, I still think this game has been overrated-or maybe it was just judged against other independently developed games, I don’t really know. Firstly, unless you insist on getting all of the collectibles (this game has an absurdly large number of them) this game will not take more than 15 hours to beat on a normal difficulty, even on the first run through. The areas are re-visited with different bad guys to help make them seem different, but really the maps are kind of small, so recycling them still gets noticeable by the end. Secondly, some of Batman’s gizmos are kind of useless, but this is actually a good thing, because switching between active gadgets using a poorly integrated D-pad is actually a huge pain, so the less you have to switch, the better. Finally, this game has some frustrating sequences. Not the “man, I’m not good enough and I need to practice to beat this awesome game” kind, the “wtf how did that guy kill me now I have to do the whole 5-minute thing over again” kind. Furthermore, although the sneaking “predator” combat mode is cool at first, there simply aren’t enough options for sneaky takedowns to make the later sequences fun-you can either use the 1-2 vents in a room or the 5-6 ceiling grapples to remain unseen and late in the game one of the options is removed from this list, which makes the exercise kind of a chore.
    I guess what it boils down to are a few questions you need to ask yourself: Do I want a game that will make me feel like Batman? Do I mind a small map if there are new enemies to give it variety? Is this game on sale? Depending on how you answer these, Arkham Asylum may be a good buy.
  48. Apr 9, 2014
    All I really have to say is, and all I REALLY need to say is... This game defiantly deserved its GOTY award. This is one of my favorite series, and this game in particular is my favorite so far.
  49. Apr 1, 2014
    He is strong without super powers.That's why we all love him.Top 10 of all times for me is here.Great story,great gameplay,great joker too,what do you want more?PLAY IT!!!!
  50. Feb 24, 2014
    The first game of the Arkham franchise. Batman Arkham Asylum concentrates on the Asylum and how everything really works there. It's the only place in Batman's universe that is only known as a place where all criminals go when apprehended by Batman. RockSteady Studios decided to have the game take place so all of us gamers and Batman lovers will know what Arkham Asylum is capable of and howThe first game of the Arkham franchise. Batman Arkham Asylum concentrates on the Asylum and how everything really works there. It's the only place in Batman's universe that is only known as a place where all criminals go when apprehended by Batman. RockSteady Studios decided to have the game take place so all of us gamers and Batman lovers will know what Arkham Asylum is capable of and how the house rules is unique compared to your usual prison. Going straight to the game play, it is an Action Adventure game. You, playing as the Dark Knight himself, will have all of the gadgets to strategically take down thugs and bosses. The game is easy for casual players, even on Hard mode, casual players who are looking for challenges can make it through, especially when you're familiar how the game play goes.

Note: I will not state specifics here to avoid spoilers so discover it yourselves guys!

Moving on... the story of the game itself is really detailed, perfectly narrated, and very dark and it points specifically in Arkham Asylum. The Lifespan of the game is somewhat great, you have achievements, riddles, trophies, unlockables and story tapes to find in the game which can make you busy throughout.

Overall the game itself is great, mechanics wise its simple, audio and voice narration is well-done by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, and the story is well polished. A must have!
  51. Feb 23, 2014
    Arkham Asylum is definitely one of the best game of this genre. I played it at hard difficulty and it took me more than 15 hours to complete all levels. The gameplay is simple but really funny and except for some boss fights the game is generally pretty easy.
  52. Feb 16, 2014
    This is a great game with good graphics and a good story line. The combat is fluid and fun but occasionally will got unresponsive. At first the voice acting is stiff and really is off the mark. This improves during the game and the uniqueness of the challenges make up for the false start.

Sound is tremendous, atmosphere is superb, and its hard to tear yourself away to do things you really need to do... AFTER the first part is concluded that is.

I will say that if you don't play this and its superior follow up, City, you are missing a great action/stealth/exploration/combat/gadget series and should really give it a try - even if you are not a Batman fan - which to me is unthinkable!
  53. Jan 22, 2014
    Uno de los mejores juegos de la generación, apartado gráfico, historia y jugabilidad impresionantes. Es un juegazo, los combates, la acción y el doblaje hacen de este juego uno de mis favoritos, una joya, lo recomiendo totalmente, imprescindible. Sin lugar a dudas junto al City y al Origins estamos ante para mi una de las mejores sagas de esta generación.
  54. Nov 25, 2013
    I will have to agree that this game is amazing, both from graphical and gameplay standards. Instead of praising it like most reviews do, I will instead focus on some problems I had with it:
    I've tried to play this game on the ps2 controller I've plugged into my pc and I've had so many troubles with it that I've started playing on the keyboard instead (basicly most actions wouldn't work despite being mapped to the propper button).
    The combat is not as fluid as it could have been, the counters sometimes wouldn't work).
  55. Nov 24, 2013
    In 2009, Rocksteady Studios, a video game studio with virtually no history restored gamers' hopes all around world with Batman Arkham Asylum. The UK based studio revived a genre long forgotten and delivered a superhero action game which is worth every cent you spend on it.

Yes, yes, there hasn't been a shortage of superhero games in the 21st century, but none of them really delivered on its potential. And there is a bunch like the Iromnan or Superman games that aren't even worth talking about. Batman always had the better track record when it comes to games, but Arkham Asylum fires on all cylinders. Great graphics, incredible sound effects, a mad story and the little details will engage gamers and not only Batman and superhero fans.

The game takes place on the famous Arkham Island where an Asylum has been build many-many years ago for the worst criminals Gotham can offer. It happens that The Joker has been captured by the Bats and taken in, but the Dark Knight suspects there is something going on in the background and takes his nemesis in himself. Shortly after a riot is started and The Joker gets loose. Now it's clear that the clown has something on his mind and Batman has to stop him. The story is intense and interesting as Bruce Wayne slowly puts together the pieces of Joker's grand plan. As you progress several of Batman's greatest foes will try to stop you, most notably Killer Croc, Poison Ivy or Bane, but others are introduced too. Some of them get bigger space others are bit players, but the point is that they are in the game and by their presence they make it richer.

The graphics are decent, but there are flaws here and there. Batman and The Joker look superb, but detail of minor characters aren't on that level and some even look ugly. Other than that, the island is looks beautiful and from the distance you can see Gotham, the city of sins. The game is very well optimized on the PC so gamers with older rigs won't have problem running it.

Even tough the island isn't overwhelmingly large, there is a lot to do. The main campaign will take around 8 hours to finish plus you can solve the puzzles and collect the question marks The Riddler left for you. By doing those you unlock character profiles, concept arts and more, so it's far from time wasting. Also by specific scanning stone tables on the island you can unlock recordings that tell you about the story of Arkham Asylum narrated by Amadeus Arkham himself. Probably the most interesting collectibles are the patient interview tapes that are scattered around the island. Some of the villains were interviewed in the facility and you can listen to these well composed dialogues. If you want to complete the main story with all the collectibles you will spend around 14+ hours on the island. When this is done you can try challenge missions where you have to beat scores by beating thugs. Sounds interesting and it adds to the game. This is the place where you can perfect you combat skills as the challenges get more and more difficult. The other half of them puts you in rooms where you have to complete 3, mostly skill-based tasks.

With the near perfect free flow combat Arkham City is a near perfect game that finally delivers not only to fans of the genre but also to Batman and superhero fans. In fact, those who are not really in comic books should consider this game for first. It's a joy to play every second of this game. Arkham Asylum set the bar for every single superhero game that comes after 2009. It's a benchmark and an example to follow for every publisher and developer.

Rating: 90/100; Replay Value: 3/5; To Beat: 8 hours (main campaign), 14 hours (campaign with collectibles); Played on: normal.
  56. Nov 24, 2013
    This is the best implementation of batman the character I've ever played. The nightmare scenes are a great and unexpected touch to this game. One star off for the game being incapable of loading levels so you can revisit some of the highlight areas (Scarecrow).
  57. Nov 20, 2013
    Batman Arkham Asylum was one of the freshest, most interesting and action packed surprises of my entire gaming life! The fight system used in this game shocked me as to how flawless the movements looked as the combination of attacks used was insanely smooth… Seriously, a truly fantastic combat system… That aside the story was fascinating, the graphics were flawless and the environmentsBatman Arkham Asylum was one of the freshest, most interesting and action packed surprises of my entire gaming life! The fight system used in this game shocked me as to how flawless the movements looked as the combination of attacks used was insanely smooth… Seriously, a truly fantastic combat system… That aside the story was fascinating, the graphics were flawless and the environments were large (but not too large), detailed and well presented! The game as a whole was amazing and was an experience I never expected from a video game under the Batman name! Well worth the play; even if you don’t really care for Batman as a character! Expand
  58. Nov 18, 2013
    Batman AA is like every other button smasher I've ever played since the original NES. Kick, punch, roundhouse kick from one badguy to the next. Boring and cookie cutter. What happened to creativity?
  59. Nov 11, 2013
    My only complaint is that the game was too short!

My only complaint is that the game was too short!

But what keeps me from giving this game a 10 is the static camera in some parts, I'm ok with Scarecrow levels having static camera (you can't turn with mouse) I think it should be that way, fits well the challenge, however, Ivy and Joker-on-steroids fight could have used the free camera, doesn't feel the same when you not playing with a game pad control...

All in all, great game, Joker does his show apart and the various challenges scattered around the island make the game interesting.

It's constantly on sale with 75% off on Steam, don't think, just buy it's worth!
  60. Nov 9, 2013
    BAA is an amazing game, with AAA voice acting, impressive visuals and addictive gameplay.
    I only have 3 complaints:
    I only have 3 complaints:
    What made this game so addictive to me was the stealth portions, where I was required to dispatch the bad guys silently. But unfortunately, I couldn’t use this approach every time. In most cases you are thrown in to a situation where there is no stealth approach to take. I just think, a Batman game shouldn’t be just a simple beat em up, and at times it felt that way.
    Story mode is a tiny bit too short (completed the story mode in ~12 hours). But you can still squeeze 3 times that amount by gathering all the collectibles, resolving riddles and doing all the challenge modes, but I’m not the kind of person to spend hours searching for extra-stuff in a game. But if you have the time and patience for it...
    The BAA Story, despite being well written, isn’t the most creative for a video game.

Sound 10
    Presentation 10
    Characters and Story 8
    Gameplay 8
    Value 8
  61. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is really fun but Windows Live is terrible to navigate through and because of a glitch in windows live i could never save the game it would always go the beginning so i had to play all in one insane session. Because of that 5/10 otherwise it would have been 9/10.
  62. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is amazing, there is no reason that you shouldn't get it. Its overall an amazing game that takes you by surprise. With the current Humble Bundle, you get this game for as low as a dollar.
  63. Nov 6, 2013
    I got this game around two years after it came out, the same time I got Arkham City. I chose to play Asylum first, then City on the suggestion of my brother who had played both of them. When you play Asylum before City, you think to yourself, "How could City POSSIBLY improve on this? It's perfect!" If you play City first, you'll feel a little restricted, but it's still an amazing game.I got this game around two years after it came out, the same time I got Arkham City. I chose to play Asylum first, then City on the suggestion of my brother who had played both of them. When you play Asylum before City, you think to yourself, "How could City POSSIBLY improve on this? It's perfect!" If you play City first, you'll feel a little restricted, but it's still an amazing game.

I definitely recommend this game to all Batman fans.
  64. Nov 6, 2013
    I enjoy this game it's the darker side of Batman. There are not a lot of super hero games out there worth playing so this is going to get a higher rating than perhaps it should. It's an older game and not very open world, but you can explore. You just can't go scaling rocks like you're in Skyrim or taking the wrong path around a tree. There will be none of that. You can't jump at all forI enjoy this game it's the darker side of Batman. There are not a lot of super hero games out there worth playing so this is going to get a higher rating than perhaps it should. It's an older game and not very open world, but you can explore. You just can't go scaling rocks like you're in Skyrim or taking the wrong path around a tree. There will be none of that. You can't jump at all for some odd reason. The camera has issues at times where it won't be where you desire. Still the environment and graphics are well done. You feel as though you are taking part in the comic book. The main characters are perfect and the people you are fighting are no pushovers. My biggest criticism is that I can't save where I'd like so I have to repeat things that were a chore which I felt should have been a save point. For the price you can get this game it's silly to say anything negative at all, but I'll offset that with a 10. Hopefully this pushes others to try to compete in comic book heroes and we get something amazing. Until then this game is king. Expand
  65. Oct 30, 2013
    Great graphics. Love the sandbox environment and a strong storyline for the backbone as well. Love the different gadgets and are plenty to actually feel like it's a full utility belt. Also the easter eggs are a big enough bonus to make then worth going after. The only real knock is that I find the fighting system a slight bit cumbersome and sluggish. Maybe it's my system. Maybe not. Once IGreat graphics. Love the sandbox environment and a strong storyline for the backbone as well. Love the different gadgets and are plenty to actually feel like it's a full utility belt. Also the easter eggs are a big enough bonus to make then worth going after. The only real knock is that I find the fighting system a slight bit cumbersome and sluggish. Maybe it's my system. Maybe not. Once I try it on my new system I will either bump this score to a 10 or leave it at a 9 if nothing changes. Expand
  66. Oct 24, 2013
    Batman Arkham Asylum is one of the well-polished games back then in 2009/10. This game is definitely worth its price (right now). This game competes well with other games that were released even much later like Skyrim, Dishonored, BioShock Infinite for example.

The A.I. is pretty decent in all areas, providing a challenge but not also not too hard at the same time. There is very few bugs and glitches here and there but it is still an awesome game.

The graphics aren't the best, but looks really decent at high resolutions and settings, somewhat similar to some of the games running on UE3.

Unfortunately, Arkham Asylum's DLCs aren't too good to be honest, no story add-ons but with just a few challenge map-packs.

I'll recommend gamers playing it in chronological sequence Origins Asylum City, buy the super pack that is currently on sale at GMG (for 62 US) that includes Arkham Origins, Arkham Asylum & Arkham City GOTY bundled together.
  67. Oct 22, 2013
    You can tell a game is amazing when someone who doesn't know anything about Batman or have any interest in action-adventure games manages to play it to 100% completion five times and STILL be prepared to play it through again. Honestly, Arkham Asylum is such a gemstone in video games and almost revolutionary for the genre. The collectibles are not a grind yet provide a challenge WITHOUTYou can tell a game is amazing when someone who doesn't know anything about Batman or have any interest in action-adventure games manages to play it to 100% completion five times and STILL be prepared to play it through again. Honestly, Arkham Asylum is such a gemstone in video games and almost revolutionary for the genre. The collectibles are not a grind yet provide a challenge WITHOUT requiring you to look them up. The stealth is tactical yet intuitive and skilful without being overcomplicated or difficult. The level design is often unpredictable and is developed at a perfect pace along with the excellent story and superb characters. The storytelling and voice acting and characters are fully developed WITH gameplay, so it's totally immersive. On top of that, it manages to restrict the player to avoid loss of immersion but gives some options throughout for exploration. These options get gradually bigger as you unlock more gadgets and use XP to get some upgrades such as armour and more gadget and combat functionality. The PC version is by far the best. The graphics are amazing and the use of PhysX makes an incredible difference at some points compared to the Xbox 360 version of the game. Also, I found that the graphics in Arkham Asylum are far better than they are on Arkham City! But let's not ignore the main point. Arkham Asylum's combat system is by far the best in the genre. Not only does it work perfectly with a controller due to the right number of gadgets, it's very good with keyboard and mouse too. Essentially a two button rhythm game but it flows NATURALLY. There are no special moves or complicated timing to learn it's all intuitive yet satisfying and rewards variety and style but doesn't punish you heavily for dropping combos. It truly is "Freeflow". The balance between puzzles, platforming, combat and stealth as well as the story development is absolute perfection in this game. Arkham Asylum is a game every gamer needs to play. Expand
  68. Oct 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game builds a very solid atmosphere that can immerse the player very easily. You play along with Joker's schemes throughout the game and you can feel that Joker fights with his intelligence. However the final boss breaks this theme and ends up having to fight a Joker made of pure brawn and strength, breaking the theme. The combat can also feel a bit clunky. Expand
  69. Oct 21, 2013
    I played through the game in less than 10 hours, but after I passed the last mission which I defeated Joker and resent him back to the asylum, I still want to know more about the next story. The game gives players a film-like impression and the story movie has a high level standard. Combat system and weapon/tool system is designed so perfect that let you interact with environment fluently.I played through the game in less than 10 hours, but after I passed the last mission which I defeated Joker and resent him back to the asylum, I still want to know more about the next story. The game gives players a film-like impression and the story movie has a high level standard. Combat system and weapon/tool system is designed so perfect that let you interact with environment fluently. It is the combat and weapon/tool make batman be a real batman. Expand
  70. Oct 16, 2013
    Walks like a bat-duck, talks like a bat-duck. This is a fantastic trip into the bat-universe and unlike a lot of licensed properties, if you took the license away you'd still have a top notch game. Hightly highly recommended.
  71. Oct 11, 2013
    High quality entertainment. This was the Batman game everyone wished for. The fighting mechanics are the highlight for me in this game. The graphics are beautiful and the setting brings out the mood of Arkham Asylum. The appearance of villains are all well-timed and doesn't feel forced. The voice acting also evokes nostalgia for those who followed the animated series in the 90's. WithoutHigh quality entertainment. This was the Batman game everyone wished for. The fighting mechanics are the highlight for me in this game. The graphics are beautiful and the setting brings out the mood of Arkham Asylum. The appearance of villains are all well-timed and doesn't feel forced. The voice acting also evokes nostalgia for those who followed the animated series in the 90's. Without this game Arkham City would not be possible. Expand
  72. sft
    Oct 7, 2013
    Boy, what a wonder!

Boy, what a wonder!

There’s much to admire in Rocksteady’s adaptation of the caped crusader’s fight against crime. BAA is atmospheric and engrossing, and the gameplay is varied and well designed, with a good mixture of problem solving and combat. The graphics are very good; the combat animation in particular is excellent. Even the controls of the PC version are well designed, which is not something you can often say about games that require a good deal of button mashing. There’s a pretty good storyline too with some sharp dialogue, and the voice acting is strong throughout, especially Mark Hamill as the Joker. My only real gripe is the way the viewpoint changes for the boss fights. It certainly makes them more challenging but it’s also a bit frustrating and, to my mind, unnecessary. But this is an excellent, well-made game and is highly recommended.
  73. Aug 31, 2013
    Outstanding game in every way great production values, tight responsive controls, great story and a bunch of challenges to tackle along the way. I'm not a big Batman fan so I didn't recognise half the side characters who made an appearance in various ways, but dealing with the themed fights/puzzles/challenges was a lot of fun.
  74. Aug 4, 2013
    this game is great!! the voice acting and writing are great, especially the joker.the atmosphere is also good. the combat system is one of the best i seen. the graphics are gorgeous and the sequences when batman is druged are really cool. the game isnt perfect. there is a lot of backtracking and the game could have did a better job of where to go, without needing to open the map all thethis game is great!! the voice acting and writing are great, especially the joker.the atmosphere is also good. the combat system is one of the best i seen. the graphics are gorgeous and the sequences when batman is druged are really cool. the game isnt perfect. there is a lot of backtracking and the game could have did a better job of where to go, without needing to open the map all the time. the game uses games for windows live, which i personally hate. lip syncing is also not so good.
    overall a great action game and the best superhero game yet!!!!!
  75. Jul 26, 2013
    This was truly an amazing piece! A Batman game that will go in the history books as one of the best Batman's of all time! There were a few things here and there that were poor but the other aspects of the game make up for it. The Dark Knight is one of my most favorite super heroes in the DC universe and I enjoyed this game A LOT!

Story is that Joker has taken over Arkham Asylum and is

Story is that Joker has taken over Arkham Asylum and is trying to kill the Batman and bring destruction to Gotham City. He and some other super criminals are teaming up to stop you! Pretty simple story but well told with how the characters are portrayed and designed which brings me to my next paragraph.

The characters.... wow. They were right on the money with them. Perfect. Batman's silent, dark, firm, and serious attitude. The Jokers insane behavior and what he believes as funny. Harley Quinn's absolute loyalty to the Joker and her insanity with it. Everyone was portrayed and designed amazingly well except for how they fight. Their fighting was... well dull. I can understand Scarecrow though there's not much you can do for him except what they put in here. Another point to the Scarecrow though for actually scaring the living s*** out of me.

Graphics and visuals were all top notch. The character designs were amazingly well done. Batman's suit was fantastic and as well as the carry on scratches and cuts he takes from his battles on Arkham. The prison was dark and gritty and suits the mood to the Batman series.

Gameplay is fluid and easy but also frustrating. Not frustrating in a bad way mind you frustrating at yourself for messing up the amazing combo you were doing You got to have amazing timing amazing reflexes to press the right key/button at the right time and make sure you don't reset your combo meter. You think "Oh it's gonna be easy then." well it isn't. When you have a bunch of various bad guys that require a certain thing to be able to dodge them disarm them stun them so and and so forth it becomes a lil confusing and a test for you as you have 18 guys surrounding you trying to beat you. It's like Assassin's Creed's combat only done right. It was a good stress pushing me to become better and trying to learn the games controls. The stealth aspect was marvelous. Although I don't quite understand why there are so many gargoyles in the game (possibly a flaw but can be overlooked) the further you go the more of a challenge it becomes. The inmates will start getting Heart meters to know where you take em down. Goggles to see the dark corners where the gargoyles are places. They'll start destroying the gargoyles. I didn't find it all too challenging as I got further unlike the multiple baddy fighting. Guess I have a knack for stealth. If they added a timer though and the Joker released a gas into the room... that would make it a challenge.

The difficulty of the game is excellent. It gives you a challenge as the further you go the more the AI adapts to your cunning and stealth. The controls are perfect it's so fluid and easy to do. It just requires excellent timing and quick reflexes much like how Batman would require only a lot more simpler and less life threatening. This is where the one flaw comes in to play on the game. Boss battles. WHAT THE F***?! I have never seen such poorly designed boss battles in all my life. Dodge the baddy and let him run into a wall? This is how all boss battles are?! Unless you count Scarecrow as a boss battle but a platform puzzle to dodge the spot light is hardly what I'd call a boss battle.

Would I recommend this game? YES! GO BUY IT NOW!
  76. Jul 23, 2013
    Batman Arkham Asylum has one of the best fight systems, which I've ever played. It runs so smoothly! The characters are fantastic and the scenario is atmospheric. If you like Batman, you will like this game.
  77. Jul 21, 2013
    I would like to clarify a few things for potential buyers (only reason you're reading this). This is a campaign/story type game with mild puzzle type elements. If you have played darksiders then you are in the right ballpark. I knew this was a campaign/story type game and I bought it anyway determined to play even though I am a sandbox kind of guy.

Bottom line, even as a marginal

Bottom line, even as a marginal batman fan (only batman I ever liked was Frank Millers The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel) you are going to get something out of this. The force that is Batman is communicated here but mostly graphically. For those of us who enjoy sandbox the gameplay is incredibly claustrophobic. But in a puzzle-like way which is why it works. At least for the gazillion people who gave it a 10 here. You get strung along in extremely linear fashion with some gratifying puzzle-like play in your attempts to complete level challenges and bosses. I can't really stress how claustrophobic progression is though. The gratification for completing this game is equivalent to reading a book. You want to complete the story rather than experience the awesome gameplay. And I guess thats what divides us gamers, those who want a mild challenge with more story and those who want an insane challenge with no story. So to sum up my review, if you know what type of gamer you are you should definitively know whether you will enjoy this game to the fullest, or not. If you are man enough to admit you are a softcore gamer and would enjoy this go for it. Otherwise steer clear because you will be filled with mostly, contempt.
  78. Jun 16, 2013
    i really recommend this game it is really great this is the best superhero game you'll play although am not a big fan of batman but this is a great game with great characters and great voice acting
  79. Jun 5, 2013
    While I've heard and read all the good stories about this game, I have to rate it a 0, the game crashes after one minute, after doing some research I discovered I am by far not alone with this problem.
  80. Jun 4, 2013
    This game is simply awesome.Every aspect of the game is solid,the mechanics,story,graphics and art style are all astounding and you're batman for gods sake,who doesn't want to be batman.
  81. May 9, 2013
    This is a game that I kept hearing great things about for a few years now. I've been meaning to try it. I just recently got around to it, and frankly I am dumbfounded looking at some of the ratings it's gotten. I wanted to like it, I really did but it's been quite some time since a video game has left me so bored, and I don't think I have ever played anything more overrated. (Except maybeThis is a game that I kept hearing great things about for a few years now. I've been meaning to try it. I just recently got around to it, and frankly I am dumbfounded looking at some of the ratings it's gotten. I wanted to like it, I really did but it's been quite some time since a video game has left me so bored, and I don't think I have ever played anything more overrated. (Except maybe the Halo series or Borderlands)

The level design is bland and uninspired. The combat system is oversimplified. The enemy AI is utterly braindead. Many of the early fights you can win even if you close your eyes and just start tapping the strike and counter buttons randomly, and I'm not exaggerating. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

All we have here in Batman Arkham Asylum is painfully linear button-masher that has very little real substance. It's a game that younger, casual console gamers will have a blast with. You get non-stop action with no thought required whatsoever. If that's your thing, go for it.

In all fairness I need to point out that for a 2009 game, most of the visuals are pretty decent. Some of the character models are not that well done, but overall it is not a bad looking game. The voice acting for Batman and Joker are excellent, but most of the other voices aren't anything special.

I'm glad I was able to get my copy of this for free, I would have been pretty upset if I had to spend money on this turd. Like I said, I wanted to like it and I really tried but it's just not a very good game IMHO. I ended up deleting it to save some hard drive space, because I know for sure that I will never be playing this one again.
  82. Apr 26, 2013
    The first of an amazing series of batman games. I can say, a family of piece of art.
    Wonderful, the gameplay is simple and smart. You have to be very strategic to achieve the goals.
  83. Mar 28, 2013
    GFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience.
  84. Mar 13, 2013
    Before I played this game, I had a really high expectation. But it soon turned out to be a pretty disappointing game. Fight scenes are brief and easy, even in hard difficulty. Sneak behind the enemies is too easy, and not critical. I can go in to a fight without need to sneak in two or three. In other games of this genre if you don't sneak, you die!
    The graphics are ok, and the story is
    The graphics are ok, and the story is nice. but the lack of possibilities and the absurd amount of gadgets are a some of the reasons I don't love this game. But hey! It's a Batman game, which is the best thing in the game! But if you're not a batman fan, you probably won't like it very much.
  85. Mar 9, 2013
    Arkham Asylum is a game that just does everything right. From the voice acting to the graphics to the attention to detail and respect to the source material to the incredible game play, Arkham Asylum is everything you want to see in a comic book game. I don't for a second understand the negative reviews... as far as I am concerned this game was perfect and a great buy on a steam sale.
  86. Mar 9, 2013
    This over rated piece of crapp deserves zero only. This game is no way to play without X360 controller, i didn't see so lazy and poor console port before and i don't see any reason to port games from console, if you have to use console controller to play. Optimization is poor as well. There is no balancing, simple thugs kick makes more damage than these ones of Bane. You can't skipThis over rated piece of crapp deserves zero only. This game is no way to play without X360 controller, i didn't see so lazy and poor console port before and i don't see any reason to port games from console, if you have to use console controller to play. Optimization is poor as well. There is no balancing, simple thugs kick makes more damage than these ones of Bane. You can't skip annoying cut scenes and there is no normal save system. I did buy Steam version, but still i had to install over 500MB of software to play Games for Windows Live nVidia Physx SecuRom What a joke. Expand
  87. Feb 12, 2013
    an excellent game, who does not love to play as a superhero that actually relies on wits and equipments rather than superpowers... well, the graphics are great, and overall presentation is outstanding. from the opening to the end. i have not messed with the 3d vision for this game but thats just another reason to play it some more. even if not a batman fan, it is still an awesome game froman excellent game, who does not love to play as a superhero that actually relies on wits and equipments rather than superpowers... well, the graphics are great, and overall presentation is outstanding. from the opening to the end. i have not messed with the 3d vision for this game but thats just another reason to play it some more. even if not a batman fan, it is still an awesome game from a 3rd person action platforming aspect. the combat system is really fun to play with, and the slow motion '300' inspired deaths are cool. the story is obviously about batman, and his capture of the joker, his arch nemesis. mostly the story revolves around those two, and who has the endurance to fight to the end. overall, great game and ranked any lower than 9 would be an insult. Expand
  88. Feb 11, 2013
    Simply a masterpiece,how can you not enjoy this at £2.49 on Steam.A total givaway.The controller works brilliantly and the missions are just right and a bit of eye candy if you run DX11 what a game awesome.
  89. Feb 7, 2013
    Just awesome The story is correct, Action, platform, research and all keep the spirit of the comic. Even today, graphisms are totally correct. Fights are incredible. Batman moves are just great. This is a title to get and today for a chip price
  90. Jan 14, 2013
    This was as good as a Batman movie. Many say no actor can rival Ledger in the role of the Joker and I agreed with them, but after seeing Joker in Arkham asylum it forced me to reconsider. The characters are captivating and have benefited from 50 or so years of festering in the Batman universe. I am far from being a Batman fan but this is simply a great game in too many ways to ignore.This was as good as a Batman movie. Many say no actor can rival Ledger in the role of the Joker and I agreed with them, but after seeing Joker in Arkham asylum it forced me to reconsider. The characters are captivating and have benefited from 50 or so years of festering in the Batman universe. I am far from being a Batman fan but this is simply a great game in too many ways to ignore. Using the myriad of gadgets is fun as is the combat that is very responsive and allows you to string together combos with many moves. The stealth sequences where you have to take down armed thugs strategically especially impressed me. The game was however quite short (10 hours), there is DRM in the form of Windows Live, and progressing through the game's "puzzles" (i.e. rooms) is too easy. An all around extremely polished game that sets the bar high. Expand
  91. Jan 2, 2013
    this was the best game of 2009 but i didnt review it then so i will review it now. arkham asylum is so amazing that i played it something like 30 times and this was between the two games i played in 2009-2010 so lets talk now about the game arkham asylum is the first batman game that take itself seriously the story and the feeling is relly mature and its not an stupid game that batmanthis was the best game of 2009 but i didnt review it then so i will review it now. arkham asylum is so amazing that i played it something like 30 times and this was between the two games i played in 2009-2010 so lets talk now about the game arkham asylum is the first batman game that take itself seriously the story and the feeling is relly mature and its not an stupid game that batman punch guys in the face.there is a lot of familiar villians,and the combat is great there is a lot of moves so its never stays repiditive.so lets see:awsome,awsome,awsome. and if you loved arkham asylum check is sequel arkham city witch is batter then arkham asylum.(i gess that if you loved arkham asylum you probebly already buy arkham city). Expand
  92. Dec 31, 2012
    As a standalone game, it is truly brilliant, although it does have some noticeable flaws. However, I would recommend Arkham City, its successor, over this because it surpasses it on nearly every level.
    I am hardly the world's greatest Batman fan, so I was cautious at first, but I found the game absolutely stunning. It has a very solid overall feel to it in that it is very polished and the gameplay is tight. It simply never lets itself up at any point. The story is engaging (though I personally preferred Arkham City's), the stealth mechanics are excellent, the missions are designed very well, and the voice acting is top notch (Star Wars fans should take note that Mark Hamill seems to be speaking half the time you're playing). More importantly, though, it makes you feel like Batman. You can take on loads of enemies in a brawl, use a small variety of gadgets to help you through the levels, yet you are not invincible - this means you have to use Batman's traditional stealth in order to take on armed enemies.
    The combat system, though good, can be frustrating at times, because the counter mechanic feels very broken. Thankfully, it is fixed in Arkham City and your problems of failing to counter when clicking the button are all gone. Another problem I found in this game - though many may not care - is that it is very linear. Another combat problem is that taking on enemies from a high point, or from underground, is broken as a result of this being a PC port - I have the game on PS3 as well, and it works fine on that. Again, this is all fixed in Arkham City, so the cool takedowns where you pop up from underground and grab an enemy, or when you hang an enemy from a ledge, are back in the sequel. There are no side missions at all and there is no open world feel, despite you having the ability to wander around the island as you wish. I guess I'm just a fan of non-linear games, so Arkham City's sidequests and exploration are of much appeal to me.
    Ultimately, this is a fantastic game but has a few important flaws. All is solved in the sequel, so if you must choose between the two I'd go for the second one. Regardless, this game is top quality.
  93. Dec 29, 2012
    The story and combat mechanics are excel greatly, but I was let down by how repetitive the boss fights were. You go through each fight at least 3 times, each getting increasingly boring and tedious. The only downfall to an otherwise excellent game.
  94. Dec 27, 2012
    What an awesome game! The story is fantastic, the gameplay is really good and you really can feel yourself entering the world of Batman. The villains are really well developed and the combat is very fun. The Riddle quests are really challenging too, and is a good thing to go out of the primary campaign objectives. Besides that is a huge evolution in the games of super-heroes in general.
  95. Nov 16, 2012
    A very good game of action and platforming adventure making the rare transition to PC. A great atmosphere and enjoyable combat make this a must have for any Batman fan.
  96. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is phenomenal - it presents a thrilling atmosphere, outside the realm of Nolan's films. It presents an exciting narrative where you see many villains, stylized like you've never seen them. The plus sides to this game are many, including great visuals, great action, challenging gameplay, and immersive atmosphere. The only downsides are how brief this game is (about 12-15 hours, atThis game is phenomenal - it presents a thrilling atmosphere, outside the realm of Nolan's films. It presents an exciting narrative where you see many villains, stylized like you've never seen them. The plus sides to this game are many, including great visuals, great action, challenging gameplay, and immersive atmosphere. The only downsides are how brief this game is (about 12-15 hours, at a leisured pace), repetitive boss battles (most of them follow a similar model), and lower replayability (i'm not a fan of challenge maps myself, so I played the game once on normal and once and hard, and haven't done much with it since). However, it's a fantastic game overall and should be experienced by any batman or video game enthusiast. Expand
  97. Oct 29, 2012
    This is by far one of the greatest batman games ever made, with amazing voice action, controls, combat, graphics, music and story, this game is a must for any batman fan. this game truly makes you feel like the dark knight.
  98. Oct 17, 2012
    An excellent game. It was such a special thing for me to play as the caped crusader for the 1st time as i am a massive batman fan. The opening sequence was a special gaming moment, and the rest of the game was just an authentic batman experience. The only negative was the repetitive titan boss battles. The game that changed the superhero game genre and has a more coherent plot than arkham city.
  99. Apr 28, 2011
    I was wary in the buying of this game. Checked some youtube clips... looked interesting... One word, wow!

I stuck this one out to the end, well, the end of the story that is- and, what a ride! You ARE Batman! The one think that grabbed me, was the actual atmosphere. It brought the feeling of the newer Batman movies closer and sucked me RIGHT in! Punch, combo, boom, get the baddies

The one think that grabbed me, was the actual atmosphere. It brought the feeling of the newer Batman movies closer and sucked me RIGHT in! Punch, combo, boom, get the baddies from above, glide down THWACK!
    Upgrades are available for better armor, etc.. They didn't really feel like they had much of an effect, but some the weapons that are weened into your inventory as the game progresses kick ass ;>

Graphic-wise, this game really shines. I'm not too sure how it looks on a non-nvidia card (the game uses the .. uhm Nvidia graphics ... physics thing to enhance smoke and adds tile effects), but even without the extra physics- it plays VERY well.

As BenW mentioned in his review, "Definitely the best Batman game out there". The others that Ive played outside this one are pretty cack. (not tried the Sun Tzu one tho!)

+ Graphics
    + Plays very well
    + Batman

- Fights get a little repetitive as the story draws to an end

1. The result is so good that we're declaring it an easy 'Best of' contender for 2009.
  2. I can say with confidence and cannot stress enough, Batman: Arkham Asylum is, without a doubt, the best Batman game ever created. It does more than give you the Batman game you want, it gives you a video game that you could play repeatedly, even if it didn't have the caped and cowled Dark Knight in it.
  3. There isn’t a single element of Arkham Asylum that isn’t polished to the utmost degree.