8.6

1. May 19, 2012
    Well...I'm lost for words really. This is a true shining example of how to create a sequel. The improvements on Arkham Asylum are almost infinite, and while Arkham Asylum is definitely a good game on its own merits, it looks silly compared to this. The amount of time it takes to get 100% complete on Arkham Asylum is only a mater of hours. On Arkham City, it will take days of playtime toWell...I'm lost for words really. This is a true shining example of how to create a sequel. The improvements on Arkham Asylum are almost infinite, and while Arkham Asylum is definitely a good game on its own merits, it looks silly compared to this. The amount of time it takes to get 100% complete on Arkham Asylum is only a mater of hours. On Arkham City, it will take days of playtime to fully explore and complete just the campaign, let alone the vast challenge modes. Not only has Arkham City added quantity, but greatly improved the quality of the content too. You get a very well-designed city which is much larger than Arkham Asylum- and a lot more interesting too. There are a load of side missions too which were missing from Arkham Asylum. From minute details to major improvements in level design, story-telling and the additional elements to both the combat system and stealth, Arkham City is more than just Arkham Asylum with a bigger map. It's not just the sheer content here- which, by the way, is EASILY double that of Grand Theft Auto IV excluding challenge modes- but also the way it's been implemented. Every single addition and tweak to virtually all elements of the game have made it far superior to Arkham Asylum which in itslef was already a well-designed game. The result is one of the best open-world action games of this generation. Arkham City is a mixture of Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed, GTA IV and some of its own creativity. The boss fights, for instance, are so much more varied and really show that the game's full potential has been used. The characters are nicely done and unique, not to mention that there are so many of them. The combat is brutal, satisfying, skillful and with the addition of new gadgets and enemy counter-measures - greatly varied too. The pacing and mix between stealth and mass brawling is perfectly done and satisfying every time. The game never feels repetitive or boring because of the variety in gameplay. The RPG element of being rewarded for skillful combat (through variation and combo bonuses) also help to keep your interest by allowing you to unlock new gadgets and gear. No open-world game today has a better combat system. No open-world game has better boss fights. That's the thing about Arkham City- it's a sandbox game, whereas Arkham Asylum was a short Action game. My criticisms of this game are in the story and characters, because the two don't seem to connect very well. It's not a story-driven game and doesn't feel engaging or particularly interesting until the very end. However, facial details, motion capture and lip-syncing are of Hollywood standard in some cutscenes. The game isn't particulalry challenging on Hard difficulty either; although this is remedied by the New Game plus mode which is unclocked at the end of the game which is essentially a "Hardcore" version of the campaign. The only real let-down for this game is its astronomical failure of implementing DX11 features. Even if you can get very high framerates with everything maxxed, turning DX11 features on in the slightest will lead to a slideshow. That said, the game is already very impressive graphically even in DX9, and although PhysX is quite demanding in this game, the framerate issues don't occur regualarly enough or last long enough to cause any problems. All in all then, what we have here isn't a beat-em-up game with free roam. Batman Arkham City represents the height of game design for open-world action games. The lack of multiplayer is made up for by the endless, varied, addicting and satisfying challenge modes. Aside from the poor implementation of DX11 and some framerate issues, this is a game which is very difficult to dislike or at least criticise. Arkham City oozes quality in virtually all aspects and is one of the easiest games to recommend to any type of gamer. There's something for everyone here. Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2015
    Is one of the best superhero game .
  3. Dec 26, 2015
    Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Rocksteady System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 95/100 Value Score: 9.5/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Play as Batman, Catwoman and Robin throughout the different game modes (Robin in
    Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY

• Music: 8/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Play as Batman, Catwoman and Robin throughout the different game modes (Robin in the DLC)
    +Open world mechanics allow you to travel all over Arkham City to do side quests
    +Gain experience from defeating enemies and finishing the story and side quests to level up all sorts of stats, abilities, etc making the game have a RPG feel to it
    +The soundtrack has improved and is a lot more memorable than the first game
    +The addition of the DLC storyline and Catwoman's side story makes the game's length a lot more than the first game
    +Costumes are unlocked and can be used once the game is finished
    +New Game+ mode which brings forth a higher difficulty rating but lets you keep items and upgrades you had gives high replay value to the game
    +There are challenge maps which can be unlocked throughout the game

Cons
    -Some key characters from the first game do not show up or have very little presence in this game
  4. Oct 16, 2013
    How do you make Arkham Asylum even better? How about throw in an open world and even more progression and another, high grade captivating storyline. Just fantastic.
  5. Jan 30, 2016
    Batman: Arkham City is so wonderfully amazing that it makes people who have ever said: "Video games based on comic books will never be good" feel ashamed.
  6. Jan 11, 2013
    An absolute high quality sequel to a great original which keeps very similar game play while adding another great adventure in Gotham. A must have for all fans of Batman.
  7. Dec 8, 2011
    Arkham City is a fun and a worth while single player game but is not the masterpiece many claim. I enjoyed the open world of Arkham city and found gliding and fighting around at my own leisure fun for a time. The environmental graphics are good, batman also looks good with a great animating cape. The story has a few moments but did not surprise me at all and ends up being completelyArkham City is a fun and a worth while single player game but is not the masterpiece many claim. I enjoyed the open world of Arkham city and found gliding and fighting around at my own leisure fun for a time. The environmental graphics are good, batman also looks good with a great animating cape. The story has a few moments but did not surprise me at all and ends up being completely unbelievable even for a cartoon which is unacceptable for a claimed 'masterpiece'. The combat is good and feels unique (much improved from Arkham Asylum being more fluid and giving the player more options in combat). Most of the Batman franchise is over used in the game with too many villains that are just there for the sake of it without much use or need. unfortunately as its a franchise Batman will never really learn any real lessons about crime or criminals and there never will be an end to Batman's troubles, batman is never going to die which destroys any suspense of danger, he will never totally defeat his enemies either, Joker will always come back again and again and again which does water down any story's significance. Recommened. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2012
    A very mediocre sequel to a great game, Arkham City only improved upon the formula in one way - it made combat better.

The problem? The main campaign was not only short but the setup of the city had you hunting down far too many sidequests and joker trophies. This game is a great example of why sandbox games are bad - the story is far more engaging if you just play it straight through, but the structure encourages you to faff around, making the game less fun. And if you don't faff around, the game is very short, with fewer areas than Arkham Asylum, and many of them are less interesting.

The only real highlights of the game lie in combat, particularly the fights with Mr. Freeze, Ras, and Clayface. Many bosses, such as the Penguin, Two-Face, and Strange, are just boring and samey, and there are a number of things which seem like they will be boss-fights but instead are incredibly anti-climatic - several of the sidequests just end in "make a note on the bat computer about someone, but don't actually fight them". Worse, several enemies are alluded to who appear nowhere in the game, even though they are outright stated to be in Arkham City.

A mediocre game overall, and a major step backwards from Arkham Asylum. These games do far better as more linear ones.
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    the first game was really good but this one is perfect it is one of my favourite games of all time this game is so damn good in every aspect and you'll finally see an end to the long battle between Batman and joker i highly recommend this game
  10. Sep 4, 2015
    i meet batman game series first in this arkham city. it has terrific game play and hitting sense. but, i don't know why this game is open world. but diverse weapon and just press X button always fun.
  11. Feb 16, 2014
    Simply an amazing game. Large open map with a great storyline, impeccable voice acting, great graphics, amazing sets, wonderful gadgets and the COMBAT - UNBELIEVABLY GOOD!

Arkham Asylum was good, this is near perfect. The voice actors are now comfortable with their roles unlike the initial parts of asylum where Batman in particular sounds stiff. But in City - he nails it! The voice of Joker is perfect as is Harley.

The DLC (or Game of the Year Edition which has all the DLC) is a wonderful addition - playing as Catwoman and briefly as Robin is incredible fun. I am a big Robin fan so my only gripe is that I didn't get to play as him more!

I don't give out a lot of 10/10 ratings but this game definitely deserves it!
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    Who dont like this game? That game is work of art. The producers had a perfectionist job.
    the atmosphere is perfect, the face of how the environment should be batman.
  13. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 9
    Story : 9
    Sound : 9
    Overall : 9
  14. Oct 4, 2014
    Terrible field of view which has not been upgraded from the console made it unplayable for me. I game on a PC because I cannot stand to play any game with a perspective that feels like I am trying to watch the action through a slot designed to post mail through.

Clearly a lot of effort went into this but they failed to deal with the most important issue rendering all the effort ultimately pointless. I don't buy games on a PC to be experience games with limitations imposed by console hardware.

Apart from that I found the combat very dull indeed. I know these games are all very much reskins of the same thing when it comes to combat but this compares very badly even with similar games such as Shadows of Mordor which has far more immersive combat despite essentially being a similar console trype RPG lite formula.

Extremely poor and a good example of why PCs are currently coming back into vogue. Got this for 5 Euros in a Steam sale or I wouldn't have bothered and it wasn't even worth that.

Very cinematic and probably more aimed at real batman fans. Some good voice over work, character development and the usual upgrades on console graphics but still a poor port as it was ultimately unplayable for me.
  15. Mar 2, 2012
    I experienced the very same technical issues as all of you had. Worse - even. Since the game negatively scales when running dx11 and AMD crossfire. However slapping an extremely low score on this game due to the poorly implemented dx11 mode - would be reasonable if that meant you where unable to play the game smoothly . Direct x 9 mode runs flawlessly, and runs incredibly well. So evenI experienced the very same technical issues as all of you had. Worse - even. Since the game negatively scales when running dx11 and AMD crossfire. However slapping an extremely low score on this game due to the poorly implemented dx11 mode - would be reasonable if that meant you where unable to play the game smoothly . Direct x 9 mode runs flawlessly, and runs incredibly well. So even people without the exact hardware needed to run dx11 mode - are still able to play this game at a vastly better visual standard than everyone else. The game itself is incredible, one of the best of 2011. Arkham asylum was already a great game with a great combat system, it was structured almost like an oldschool metroid game. With progression tied to gadgets. This game opens up, and gives you a hubworld, it still has that metroid structure - it just combines it with elements of open world games. And this combination is so great it's intoxicating. Every single piece of this game is individually fantastic, now tie them all together. And you have a game that is truly worth the asking price. And then some. Involving plot. Check. Open world. Check. Enjoyable gameplay. Check. Variety. Check. Poetically mindblowing visuals. Check. 9/10?. Check. Expand
  16. Dec 27, 2011
    This game rocks, just about everything about arkham Asylum has improved, the graphics are stunning in Dx11 ultra, bigger playing area, tighter control system, more enemies and unlocks...I don't understand the problems people are having, works perfectly on Dx11 maxed out on mine, not come across any game killing problems at all, maybe the people with negative comments dont know how toThis game rocks, just about everything about arkham Asylum has improved, the graphics are stunning in Dx11 ultra, bigger playing area, tighter control system, more enemies and unlocks...I don't understand the problems people are having, works perfectly on Dx11 maxed out on mine, not come across any game killing problems at all, maybe the people with negative comments dont know how to config a PC properly or just have rubbish PCs. Expand
  17. Apr 17, 2012
    I personally had no problems with this game. I was pissed off a bit because DX11 just made the game crash but I didn't care. I bought this during the Steam Christmas Sale 2011 and the game ran perfect. The game was fairly long and there is a lot more to do.
  18. Apr 12, 2013
    "Batman: Arkham City" is filled with fun, yet simple content, a lengthy campaign and enough of easter eggs and secrets to make you return to the pretty big Arkham City.
  19. Jan 22, 2014
    Las segundas partes dicen que siempre son malas o inferiores a las primeras, en este caso esto no es cierto, supera casi en todo al primer juego, Las peleas son mucho mejores, la ciudad es inmensa y el doblaje es muy bueno. Sus puntos fuertes es la duración (sobretodo por las misiones secundarias) y la diversión de jugar a este juegazo. Sus puntos débiles son, la ciudad no tiene vida,Las segundas partes dicen que siempre son malas o inferiores a las primeras, en este caso esto no es cierto, supera casi en todo al primer juego, Las peleas son mucho mejores, la ciudad es inmensa y el doblaje es muy bueno. Sus puntos fuertes es la duración (sobretodo por las misiones secundarias) y la diversión de jugar a este juegazo. Sus puntos débiles son, la ciudad no tiene vida, parece estar muerta y siempre es de noche y nevando. En conclusión: es un juegazo imprescindible para cualquier buen gamer y que aunque tiene algunos puntos flacos no deja de ser una verdadera obra maestra, lo recomiendo totalmente. Expand
  20. Dec 21, 2011
    Horrible performance, decent action, but not as good as assassin's creed, or devil may cry. Good graphics, but not the best I have seen. Best part of the game is the story, but that's over in like 5 hours, and then they expect you to collect a million joker trophies, and do side missions to experience the rest of the game. The game play is not deep enough to support a bunch of sideHorrible performance, decent action, but not as good as assassin's creed, or devil may cry. Good graphics, but not the best I have seen. Best part of the game is the story, but that's over in like 5 hours, and then they expect you to collect a million joker trophies, and do side missions to experience the rest of the game. The game play is not deep enough to support a bunch of side missions, so once the main story is over there is no point. Arkham Asylum had no side missions, and a well developed long story, so in my book it was a lot more entertaining. I really thought this would be one to write home about, and the positive reviews had me convinced, but I think people are taken in by the fact that its Batman. I love Batman, but this game is just too boring. The combat system is very simple, and requires you to do 2 or 3 moves over and over again. I would have rated it a little higher, but the game is barely playable on my Core i7, gtx580, 8GB machine, so I have the feeling that they didn't really want PC gamers to play it. Expand
  21. Jan 22, 2013
    The game played fine on my rig- no issues. The game is just as great as Arkham Asylum except it has a deeper storyline, more characters, and (most importantly) better boss battles. I saw the boss fights as a true weakness in the first one, and this has been remedied. Batman has a few new moves this time around as well, which is also a welcome feature. For me, the biggest downside was theThe game played fine on my rig- no issues. The game is just as great as Arkham Asylum except it has a deeper storyline, more characters, and (most importantly) better boss battles. I saw the boss fights as a true weakness in the first one, and this has been remedied. Batman has a few new moves this time around as well, which is also a welcome feature. For me, the biggest downside was the Riddler trophies. This time around, there are twice as many. Which means they are everywhere. Which means I spent hours hunting down every one of them... with no reward. I guess I should be okay with my own self-satisfaction. Other than that, the game is a worthy sequel to an amazing game. Expand
  22. Mar 10, 2013
    I did not actually want to play this game. I kept seeing excellent reviews for it until I finally cracked and had to try it out. As a 28 year old with an "uncomfort" towards men in tights, I never really had a desire to play a batman game. However, this game blew me away. The attention to detail and amazing polished city made me completely immersed in the role of batman. By the time II did not actually want to play this game. I kept seeing excellent reviews for it until I finally cracked and had to try it out. As a 28 year old with an "uncomfort" towards men in tights, I never really had a desire to play a batman game. However, this game blew me away. The attention to detail and amazing polished city made me completely immersed in the role of batman. By the time I finished this game my greatest complaint was that I still wanted more. It has been an extremely long time since I played a game until the end and was upset it was over.
    This game was done right. ANY gamer can appreciate its amazing world, writing, and game-play.
  23. Nov 20, 2013
    Arkham City brought back what we loved about Asylum and opened up the world a little bit more! I probably preferred Asylum because it was a completely new experience at the time; but getting the opportunity to play as Catwoman and Robin in Arkham City was a major benefit! Overall, the city looks great, the combat is still flawless and it’s really an all-round incredible game! I don’t careArkham City brought back what we loved about Asylum and opened up the world a little bit more! I probably preferred Asylum because it was a completely new experience at the time; but getting the opportunity to play as Catwoman and Robin in Arkham City was a major benefit! Overall, the city looks great, the combat is still flawless and it’s really an all-round incredible game! I don’t care for Batman, in any respect, outside of these video games because I just don’t like super hero comic based stuff; but I thoroughly enjoy these games and Arkham City was one of the most enjoyable titles I have ever played! Expand
  24. Jan 3, 2012
    A massive improvement on the original Arkham City. This time you have so much more to do and see, but the game hasn't lost the playability and authenticity of the original. I've bought and played several top titles in 2011 and Arkham City was a Xmas present, so it had a lot of competition in my mind. However, I cannot stop playing the game - soundtrack, graphics, atmosphere, challenges,A massive improvement on the original Arkham City. This time you have so much more to do and see, but the game hasn't lost the playability and authenticity of the original. I've bought and played several top titles in 2011 and Arkham City was a Xmas present, so it had a lot of competition in my mind. However, I cannot stop playing the game - soundtrack, graphics, atmosphere, challenges, voice-acting - all top-notch. There's just one thing that I personally don't like though - so far I'm half way through the game and there's been no sign of any vehicles to play with. All of the combat so far as been based on stealthy tactics or punch ups. There's pockets of goons absolutely everywhere to have fun with, and there are some good/excellent fun boss fights, but I'd like to see more variety in the combat options, so think that vehicles would be good. Well, maybe I'll find some later on .. Expand
  25. sft
    Sep 8, 2014
    Oh boy, not quite such a wonder

Oh boy, not quite such a wonder

Arkham Asylum was a groundbreaking game for me. I loved the atmosphere, the varied and highly imaginative gameplay, the problem solving, and the superbly animated and free-flowing combat. It was engrossing, compelling, and had a far better storyline than most games. ARKHAM CITY promised more of the same and I looked forward to it immensely. Well it delivered in some respects but disappointed in many. The overarching fault with CITY is that Rocksteady have crammed too much into one game. It’s the game equivalent of bloatware. Combat is less fluent due to too many new moves, some of which you are forced to use. The short, somewhat underwhelming main story is interrupted too often by side missions and the ridiculously numerous riddler challenges and trophies. And the open world structure, coupled with the often intrusive side missions, diminish the sense of urgency in the narrative. There are also too many villains jammed into one story. It may seem odd to criticise something for doing too much but sometimes less really is more. On the plus side you get to play as Catwoman and Robin as well as Batman (in the GOTY edition) and some of the enhancements do improve gameplay. In conclusion, CITY is a good game and is fun to play, but it’s not as impressive as Rocksteady’s admirable original. Oh, and good luck trying to get at all 440 Riddler trophies!
  26. May 29, 2015
    the game and cool to the graphic and beautiful and realistic too mano sky controls are perfect and what horrible and the gameplay but still a good game
  27. Mar 22, 2013
    What game can be better than Batman Arkham Asylum? Batman: Arkham City! You really don't have to be a Batman fan to like this game. Roam around Arkham City Batman style? Awesome. Kicking ass with Batman gadgets? Bring it. Punishing different villains with Batman martial arts? Oh yeah!
  28. Dec 12, 2012
    when i heard that rocksteady doing a sequal to arkham asylum i just get so happy and when i pre order it i was tense if the game will be good like the first game so its even batter the story is amzing and long like 16 hours to finish the story and if in the middle of the story you get bored you can always live the main story and do side quest beat some criminal ass in the open world youwhen i heard that rocksteady doing a sequal to arkham asylum i just get so happy and when i pre order it i was tense if the game will be good like the first game so its even batter the story is amzing and long like 16 hours to finish the story and if in the middle of the story you get bored you can always live the main story and do side quest beat some criminal ass in the open world you can do preadator challenges and my favorite is the ridller challenges all this thing will take 25 hours and i complete it something like 10 times so i think that you should buy this game and its outs last year so what are you waiting for just buy it Expand
  29. Dec 9, 2011
    So far I've not had any bugs, crashes or any other negative game play crippling faults. But aside from the game, and the revised graphics (not too revised, but still) and the switching between characters (who, I should mention don't differ much), the game play is pretty linear, which is not so different from the first part. Granted, there are some side missions and other stuff to do in theSo far I've not had any bugs, crashes or any other negative game play crippling faults. But aside from the game, and the revised graphics (not too revised, but still) and the switching between characters (who, I should mention don't differ much), the game play is pretty linear, which is not so different from the first part. Granted, there are some side missions and other stuff to do in the city. But in my opinion, beating up henchmen or saving the occasional "political prisoner" (ironically, by beating up henchmen) does have it's limit of being fun. It gets tedious, very fast. Those familiar with the first installment will rejoice in the knowledge that most of the key elements that made it so great, are present here also. The only twist is, there's not much else that's new. You can grapple and glide, and grapple and glide for as long as your heart desires. Though i wish the grappling and gliding was less constricting, like it is in Just Cause 2. In short, Arkham City is a game that follows the footsteps of the original very closely (sometimes too closely), is rich in story and cameos, but leaves much more to be desired in terms of content and gameplay. Expand
  30. Aug 13, 2014
    Much, Much better story line and great side missions, compared to Arkham Asylum. Got rid of the crazy WASD movements required in Asylum when battling some of the big bosses on a PC. This version is a un-sophisticated imitation of Assassin's Creed, so it does have an interesting aspect and since it takes place throughout all of the city (instead of the previous one which was just in anMuch, Much better story line and great side missions, compared to Arkham Asylum. Got rid of the crazy WASD movements required in Asylum when battling some of the big bosses on a PC. This version is a un-sophisticated imitation of Assassin's Creed, so it does have an interesting aspect and since it takes place throughout all of the city (instead of the previous one which was just in an asylum) it makes it much more enjoyable. Still, I wouldn't pay $60 full price, anything under $30 is worth the game-to-value ratio. Expand
  31. Jan 2, 2012
    This is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. I already own Arkham Asylum and I wasn't impressed. Yet, I decided to try one more time, and I was glad that I did. The story line was easier to follow and more detailed; e.g., emphasis on Batman's brooding nature. The weapons were easier to use, and the numerous fights seemed to be more exciting. Best of all, the graphics wereThis is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. I already own Arkham Asylum and I wasn't impressed. Yet, I decided to try one more time, and I was glad that I did. The story line was easier to follow and more detailed; e.g., emphasis on Batman's brooding nature. The weapons were easier to use, and the numerous fights seemed to be more exciting. Best of all, the graphics were unbelievable! I actually had some feelings of vertigo when Batman was walking on posts at the tops of skyscrapers. Overall, I recommend this game highly, even though i prefer shooters. Expand
  32. May 22, 2014
    This game is just as good as the first one in every regard. The only problem was the Games for Windows Live DRM, which has since been removed from Batman.
  33. Mar 14, 2014
    Batman: Arkham City, the definitive Superhero game! (In my opinion)

Pros:
    Stunningly fantastic visuals and effects
    Perfect Voice acting
    Lots of side missions
    Excellent and well paced combat

Cons:
    The world is slightly too small

Despite the slightly small open-world, this game has everything you would expect from a superhero game!
  34. Dec 22, 2012
    Simply put this game is GREAT. First, the main story line is tight and well-written and I can safely say it would suck you in for very enjoyable 10 to 12 hours time. Several notable villains in Batman universe made appearance in the main game and I am surprised how well the devs put them together to form such an epic story. Kudos to B:AC's writer! Gameply is pretty much the same as BAA's,Simply put this game is GREAT. First, the main story line is tight and well-written and I can safely say it would suck you in for very enjoyable 10 to 12 hours time. Several notable villains in Batman universe made appearance in the main game and I am surprised how well the devs put them together to form such an epic story. Kudos to B:AC's writer! Gameply is pretty much the same as BAA's, but this time you will have a small chunk of Catwoman's story in the main game and also you can use Catwoman to explore the Arkham city. Another major improvement is that there are more fun bat gadgets in this game which allows more variations for gameplay. The game feels much bigger than BAA since it not only had a large city to freely explore but also had a series of side quest lines. That is to say, you will have a lot of stuff to do after beating the main game or test your skills in various ranked or campaign maps. I would give the game a 10 by itself, but this game had a serious problem. I had a computer crash during the game. After the reboot, I found my save file corrupted, then I had to restart the campaign. At last, one miner warning: do not turn dx11 features on if you do not have a high-end computer. Final Verdict: 9/10 Expand
  35. Feb 1, 2013
    This game is absolute masterpiece, with its awesome voice acting, storyline and missions. Pretty much continues where the last game left and does a great job in it. If you haven't bought this game already, go and buy it because its worth its money in every aspect.
  36. Jul 14, 2016
    The best action adventure game from the last 5 years hand down, also adapted from a comic book series, no less!

Story is actually interesting (thanks to Paul Dini - Arkham Knight turned into **** without him), graphics is nicely optimised for PC (you know there are too many bad ports nowadays). AC MIGHT have invented the free flow combat system but Batman Arkham Asylum/City perfected it. Unlike AC you also got many little gadgets to play with and make the fights less mechanical. It doesn't have a lot of collectibles, instead you can explore the city through gliding, complete the riddle puzzles and AR trainings. The only thing I don't like in this game is the abundance of thugs on the street.

I also have to praise Rocksteady for making this game to be comfortably played with both KB/M and a controller! Can't say the same for the other action games.
  37. Dec 5, 2011
    The game really good. After the first part was left unsatisfied by a large part of what the fans really love the first part. Developers have added new characters, new enemies by what we have new challenges and this sometimes is even harder. To this is the story that is even better than in 1, but it is still not ideal. The game, however, will not be as cool as one because it's not the sameThe game really good. After the first part was left unsatisfied by a large part of what the fans really love the first part. Developers have added new characters, new enemies by what we have new challenges and this sometimes is even harder. To this is the story that is even better than in 1, but it is still not ideal. The game, however, will not be as cool as one because it's not the same impression when we met with the previous part. My rating - 8 / 10 Expand
  38. Jul 28, 2012
    Greatest. Game. Ever. I picked this up on Steam for 15 dollars and when I was done I felt truly guilty that I underpaid for this masterpiece. I wanted to send Rocksteady Studios more money but settled for buying all of the DLC for it (also on a Steam sale). You will not find a better use for your gaming dollar than this game. I've logged almost 90 hours on it so far and I'm stillGreatest. Game. Ever. I picked this up on Steam for 15 dollars and when I was done I felt truly guilty that I underpaid for this masterpiece. I wanted to send Rocksteady Studios more money but settled for buying all of the DLC for it (also on a Steam sale). You will not find a better use for your gaming dollar than this game. I've logged almost 90 hours on it so far and I'm still having fun. It's stuffed to the gills with character upgrades, unlockables, side quests, character skins, and game modes. Literally a love letter to the sandbox genre, Batman: Arkham City learns from the mistakes of GTA IV and others to put together a title that would be worth 120 bucks, easily. A rare game indeed, even if you don't like comic books, or sandbox gaming, or good games in general, you must at least get this at the next Steam sale. I must play some more . . . Expand
  39. Nov 24, 2014
    Where do I start? It's a true gem that has little to no flaws whatsoever. The graphics are superb, the story is great, the voice acting is amazing, the gameplay is a spot on. In short, it's a true joy to play.

The game revolves around a small section of Gotham City, known now as "Arkham City", where gangs and thugs seem to have free-run of there own little slice of Gotham. It allows much greater freedom than Arkham Asylum did - and is all the better for it. You start with all the abilities and gadgets that you picked up in the previous game, and unlock a ton more too. As such, it may have a steep learning curve for people that did not play the previous game, but once you get into it, it's fluid, responsive and great fun.

Upgrades to your Batsuit and character(s) abilities are bought with XP, that is earned fighting thugs - and you are rewarded for slick moves, long combos and variety. You can also quick-fire gadgets during combat, adding another really cool addition to the game.

Jimbo Rating: 9/10
  40. Dec 16, 2015
    The game could have been really good if it was a more focused experience. 5 hours into it I was still trying to remember what gadget and what button does what. The game seem to assume that the player is very familiar with what the various gadget's do. What should have been a very pleasant and fun experience turned out to be quite frustrating. The combat is fun yet repetitive, idem for theThe game could have been really good if it was a more focused experience. 5 hours into it I was still trying to remember what gadget and what button does what. The game seem to assume that the player is very familiar with what the various gadget's do. What should have been a very pleasant and fun experience turned out to be quite frustrating. The combat is fun yet repetitive, idem for the stealth sessions. This game is particularly frustrating, because it can be easily turned into a great little game by simplifying the controls. Why does the electric gadget has three different modes of use? WHY? The developers need to understand that Batman is a casual game and the added complexity does not any depth, rather frustration. Under that thick layer of BS, it is clear that there is a beautiful, fun and rewarding batman experience. A lack of vision and talent turned it into a mess. Wasted potential. Expand
  41. Jan 1, 2012
    I was waiting for this game for so long after enjoying Arkham Asylum on my PC. What a mess that was released though. The game would be great if I can play it "the way it was meant to be played" For once, I want to buy a game without the need for endless patches just to fix problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.
  42. May 7, 2012
    Wow. Here I thought that Batman Arkham Asylum couldn't be topped. Arkham City proved me wrong and more than I thought.

OK, so there's the aesthetics: beautifully rendered, designed, laid out, composed - whatever you want to call it - it's simply stunning. The costumes and character designs are vivid and imaginative (Catowman = :^O). The locales, architecture and mapping is magnificent. I truly felt like I was in Arkham City the whole time.

Sound: Brilliant. Crisp, reactive and vibrant. The environmental sounds are realistic, the gadgets and weapons are full and quick and the voice-over work - well - there is no other game with such impressive performances as this. Again, Mark Hammill just explodes here with some incredible dialogue and talent. Kevin Conroy, as always is the perfect voice for Batman. All the other characters, including the thugs, are just fantastic. Story: The greatest story ever told in a video game. It's elaborate, imaginative, exciting and entertaining in every respect. Paul Dini and company have written a masterpiece.

Gameplay: Fluid and simple. Granted, at first, I didn't get it quick enough, but once you get used to the controls it's very easy to play. The fighting system is just amazing with it's one-on-one (or more) tactics and the use of quick-fire gadgets make it direct. The array of gadgets is creative and diverse and they all can be used against enemies as well as the environment. The Riddler challenges and other challenges are just that: challenging: Most aren't but there are a considerable amount of them that are not easy to find or reach. Playing Catwoman is just as fun but limited since she doesn't have as many gadgets or armor. The combat combos are clever and aren't as easy as one would think to implement which gives the game more of a challenge.

Replay value is excellent with the separate combat challenges for Batman and Catwoman out fo the story arc. The extras like concept art and character trophies are gorgeous. There's also the back stories for all the characters that can be read in game as well as the audio files for their sessions in Arkham with Prof. Strange and the audio messages left for Batman.

It's all the detail, devotion and attention to the story gameplay that make this such an incredible experience. There are no issues visually but my game did crash a few times, so aside from that there are no programming problems on my end. My PC had no problems running the game at all the highest settings with DX11.

This folks, is a true masterpiece. Batman Arkham City is a triumph.
  43. Dec 3, 2011
    Truly, I haven't experienced any signs of the game being a "sloppy port" whatsoever - I was surprised to read some of the negative reviews based solely on that fact.

The game is insanely good - beautiful world of Arkham City, lots of things to do, nice story with lots of side missions. Definitely a game of the year for me.
  44. Apr 22, 2015
    No Doubt, this is the best batman game ever, awesome graphics and physics, with great story
    i finished it 3 times, you can feel batman while playing, even cat woman is great,
  45. Dec 19, 2011
    I previously rated this game pretty bad, but the update changed my mind. There surely are still issues and I can run this game now on maximum settings and the plot stopping bugs have been resolved. However and this especially leaves a bitter taste: All my savefiles were corrupted from updating this game. I think it's fair to give this game 8/10 points for the troubles we've experiencedI previously rated this game pretty bad, but the update changed my mind. There surely are still issues and I can run this game now on maximum settings and the plot stopping bugs have been resolved. However and this especially leaves a bitter taste: All my savefiles were corrupted from updating this game. I think it's fair to give this game 8/10 points for the troubles we've experienced since release. This game is now playable and worth getting. Expand
  46. Nov 25, 2011
    I can't believe people voting this a 0, but I guess there are haters everywhere. Yes the game was a month late, yes DX11 features will slow down your game, when it should, in fact, speed it up, yes there is SecuRom, and yes its on GWFL. However, none of that really matters, a month later? Who fricking cares, yes I had some of it spoiled, but I should have kept away from the batman forumsI can't believe people voting this a 0, but I guess there are haters everywhere. Yes the game was a month late, yes DX11 features will slow down your game, when it should, in fact, speed it up, yes there is SecuRom, and yes its on GWFL. However, none of that really matters, a month later? Who fricking cares, yes I had some of it spoiled, but I should have kept away from the batman forums to be sure. Still the story keeps me intrigued, the combat is insanely good, and the atmosphere is amazing. Can't do much about GFWL and SecuRom, they don't make the game worse, they are just bad choiced to safeguard against people playing without paying. The DX11 thing is something that they already are aware of, and they will fix it. So, if your that angered by it, wait before you buy it, or if you already bought it, don't play until the patch is out. Until that patch there are lots of goodies to play meanwhile, like Skyrim and Battlefield 3.
    As stated earlier this games combat is awesome, and works even better on mouse and keyboard than its predecessor. I have had no troubles whatsoever, and the troubles I did have came from me not being used to the combat system, not because it was bad.
    The graphics are gorgeous beyond belief, even in DX9 it looks good, I can also run at almost max with max PhysX on my GTX460, only thing I have turned down is AA at 16x .
    The sound is awesome, including the voice acting, The Joker is especially, like last game, really good. But most all of the voice acting done here is awesome.
    I can't find any fault with this game other than the DX11 problem, and that will be fixed, so a solid 10/10 and this game leaves me wondering what will be GOTY. To me it is between this, battlefield 3 (the MP is sooooo solid), The Witcher 2 and Skyrim. All are 9 or 10 out of 10 in my book.
  47. Oct 24, 2013
    Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition:

A sequel to the highly-rated Batman: Arkam Asylum that was released about 2 years back Running on the same Unreal Engine 3.0, very little has changed.. Arkham City provides the player with a different UI, newer gadgets, abilities, better graphics (Duh..) and a more enriched storyline. I would say that it is a little cherry atop of a
    Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition:

I would say that it is a little cherry atop of a nice and delicious fruit-cake, it could be an expansion instead of a full game. But of course, that is my own personal opinion.

Recommendations/Tips:

1) Play Arkham Asylum before Arkham City, i'll say that it is very important and crucial towards having the full experience of the series. Some of the past events that happened in Arkham Asylum and were mentioned in Arkham City.
    2) Most of the DLCs are just cosmetics and etc. But "Harley Quinn's Revenge" isnt, it is sort of a mini-story followed after the main game's storyline. Just make sure you'd play it after completing the campaign. (GOTY edition)

Estimated Total Playtime:
  48. Nov 28, 2011
    Greatest comic book to videogame conversion EVER. If you've played Arkham Asylum and you were wondering how it would even be possible to make a better Batman video game given the constraints of today's graphics engines and hardware, well you wouldn't be alone. Somehow, WB have done themselves proud and not only improved the combat mechanics, stealth mechanics and core gameplay mechanics,Greatest comic book to videogame conversion EVER. If you've played Arkham Asylum and you were wondering how it would even be possible to make a better Batman video game given the constraints of today's graphics engines and hardware, well you wouldn't be alone. Somehow, WB have done themselves proud and not only improved the combat mechanics, stealth mechanics and core gameplay mechanics, but they've also come out with a much more thorough and amazing plot. This game has to be experienced. Once I started this game I couldn't stop and had to keep playing for the 20 hrs it took me to finish the main storyline and about half of the side missions (took another 6 hrs to finish all the riddler missions). You will get sucked in. You will become batman. You will laugh, you will cry, you will even begin to question whether Batman is doing the right thing. Simply put, this is the single must play for 2011 probably only losing to the Witcher 2 in required gaming. Sure the GfWL requirement is annoying and the failure to release the game with DX11 in a working condition is slightly annoying, but switching over to DX9 on my 2 yr old hardware ran the game at 1080p with everything at max at 60fps with physx off. Even in dx9 this still had a noticeable bump in visual fidelity vs. Batman:AA and for that I commend WB on the extra work done in polishing the PC version. Also the catwoman extra missions and change in combat mechanics are great and work seamlessly with the storyline. 10/10. Cannot wait for the next iteration. Expand
  49. Jan 13, 2017
    The definitive game of the Arkham series. Everything from the gadgets, to the missions, to the expansive free roaming city, to challenges, and the plot all work precisely together to make a game that is unquestionably solid through and through. I think maybe my only complaint is just the fact that the riddler campaign that is part of the DLC is so huge I don't know if I'll ever put in theThe definitive game of the Arkham series. Everything from the gadgets, to the missions, to the expansive free roaming city, to challenges, and the plot all work precisely together to make a game that is unquestionably solid through and through. I think maybe my only complaint is just the fact that the riddler campaign that is part of the DLC is so huge I don't know if I'll ever put in the time needed to collect every riddler trophy and finish it 100% -- but that just goes to show you the developers' dedication to making this batman game as massive as possible. Expand
  50. May 3, 2013
    this is a really fun and great game. it feels really unique. the story is great. the story has a lot of vilans from the comics and movies and they are done really great. the voice acting is especially good. the gameplay is unique and different from other games. the only big problem is that the world is too little. you should definetly buy it because its really good!!!!!
  51. Mar 21, 2012
    This game is really fun. The graphics are good and for once the Unreal Engine has impressed me.
    Gameplay is the best. Killing someone from behind and then grappling above and use detective vision to see the enemies rush around looking for you, physics disturb me a bit, I admit that if you kill someone on stairs it screws up and the ragdoll gets stuck. Sounds and storyline are well done.

Thanks to this game I am now a batman fan!
  52. Nov 28, 2011
    Despite some bugs, I can't give this game less than a 9. The story and voice acting are fantastic, with Mark Hamill's Joker stealing the show once again. The game looked nice, even though I don't have a very fast PC, and am running it on the lowest settings. I'm sure it looks amazing with everything cranked up. The main quest line is only about 10 hours long, but there are plenty ofDespite some bugs, I can't give this game less than a 9. The story and voice acting are fantastic, with Mark Hamill's Joker stealing the show once again. The game looked nice, even though I don't have a very fast PC, and am running it on the lowest settings. I'm sure it looks amazing with everything cranked up. The main quest line is only about 10 hours long, but there are plenty of side quests and a challenge mode to keep you busy long after that. The combat system is pretty similar to AA, only with more moves, gadgets and bad guys. Expand
  53. Jan 2, 2013
    I willl never buy another WB game again terrible console port, framerate issues, bugs, DRM and limited installations what ????!!!!???.........never again.
  54. Oct 20, 2013
    Best superhero game ever. Now when its fully on Steam there is nothing to stop you from playing it right away. Fights will keep you entertained for the whole time, using gadgets is fun. Story is great and referring to all Batman films. You really feel like dark knight when playing this. Awesome!
  55. Jan 7, 2012
    From what I've played so far, (I have to admit, I have not yet beaten the game), this is hands down the game of the year for me... I loved arkham assylum, and this game took everything that made arkham assylum epic, and made it about 10 times better. Most games I buy at full retail price these days usually leave me feeling robbed, but I definitly feel I got my money's worth with this epicFrom what I've played so far, (I have to admit, I have not yet beaten the game), this is hands down the game of the year for me... I loved arkham assylum, and this game took everything that made arkham assylum epic, and made it about 10 times better. Most games I buy at full retail price these days usually leave me feeling robbed, but I definitly feel I got my money's worth with this epic title!

The average user score for this game at the minute is 7.6 which astounds me.... I understand that maybe the game wasnt released fully stable and I guess the devs only have themselves to blame for that one really.... But I'm going to give it a 10 to make up for this unfair score, because as the game stands in all it's glory now, it's as damn close to a 10 as games can get!
  56. Nov 26, 2011
    Batman Arkham City is the best game of the year, on my mind. I playing this game with very very big pleasure. A I don't like that DirectX 11 working very bad. Wait the patch. But I think that Arkham City is better than Arkham Asylum: new interesting story, many famous persons of DC Comics, new gameplay elements and many many others. It is ideal game about Batman.
  57. Jul 11, 2013
    Batman Arkham City is a spectacular game with serious difficulty issues. Tons of villains (Poison Ivy, Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, etc.) are in the game. The setting is great, and I can tell the developers really thought it through. The weather is constant, the snow looks and seems cool. There is a lot to do on the side, such as collecting trophies and finding hostages, etc. TheBatman Arkham City is a spectacular game with serious difficulty issues. Tons of villains (Poison Ivy, Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, etc.) are in the game. The setting is great, and I can tell the developers really thought it through. The weather is constant, the snow looks and seems cool. There is a lot to do on the side, such as collecting trophies and finding hostages, etc. The plot is very well done too! The difficulty issues are that sometimes the game is very easy, and sometimes it is VERY hard. Batman doesn't kill, so if you do a "drop attack" and afterwards have to run, the enemy will get right back up again, good as new. The game tries to work far too many key combinations into the game. Evading a electric-baton wielder means that you have to press right-click and two space bar presses. I can't think or act that fast in the midst of fighting, Rocksteady! Arkham City really emphasizes the power of guns. I rarely went fists-blazing with gunman around. You really feel like you ARE Batman in this game. 9/10, well done! Expand
  58. Jan 8, 2012
    Though it was a month late in release, the Batman Arkham City PC version is a definite console port. The only graphics change that you can apply is an automated 'Benchmark' feature that wastes five minutes of your time changing nothing. I'm sure it changed something there but after the test the game still looked exactly the same, and I couldn't know if it did change anything because thereThough it was a month late in release, the Batman Arkham City PC version is a definite console port. The only graphics change that you can apply is an automated 'Benchmark' feature that wastes five minutes of your time changing nothing. I'm sure it changed something there but after the test the game still looked exactly the same, and I couldn't know if it did change anything because there was nothing to tell you the current specs that the game was running on.
    Another problem was the seemingly rushed PC changes. I was playing a Silent Predatorn Riddler Challenge and when I accidently mashed the buttons after doing a wrong thing I didn't see the 'F' hovering about a nearby gargoyle, I saw an 'RB'. Thats just one example of some really un-PC like elements of this game.
    However, past the fact that this game took longer to put on PC - to no changes whatsoever - there is no doubting that the game is really good. Arkham City is as filthy as Arkham Asylum, and as fun to explore. There are new features like Beat Downs, smoke pellets and multi-person counters and takedowns. Overall this wasn't worth the extra month that PC players had to wait, but playing Batman: Arkham City is definitely fun.
  59. Jul 30, 2012
    This was a really cool game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do wish there was a bigger area to play in to take down the everyday villain as well as driving the batmobile itself.
  60. Oct 24, 2015
    I played it for the story, the combat is underwhelming though, enjoyed the puzzles. Everything is really top notch, you can tell its a AAA, but the combat brings it down a couple of points, If your a Batman fan you should check it out, just dont expect much combat wise.
  61. Aug 13, 2014
    Great story. Detailed characters. Outstanding voice acting. Beautiful graphics even on DX9. Don't bother with DX11 as it will lag you to death, not worth the minor graphic improvements. The game will lag/hiccup anyway when gliding around the city, so try your best to ignore it cause the rest of the game is GREAT. Smooth fighting and counter-attack animations. PhysX is a nice luxury forGreat story. Detailed characters. Outstanding voice acting. Beautiful graphics even on DX9. Don't bother with DX11 as it will lag you to death, not worth the minor graphic improvements. The game will lag/hiccup anyway when gliding around the city, so try your best to ignore it cause the rest of the game is GREAT. Smooth fighting and counter-attack animations. PhysX is a nice luxury for capable PCs. The only reason I'm not giving it a solid 10 is because of the random hiccups. I recommend it over any console version Expand
  62. Feb 16, 2012
    This game is fantastic. The combat is effortlessly enjoyable, and Catwoman provides a nice change of pace. The main story has some ingenious puzzle elements using Batman's gadgets, and the overall fidelity of the environment is at times, stunning. Here are the few foibles made to this otherwise excellent game...some scripted instant kills that seem cheap...a boss battle here and there thatThis game is fantastic. The combat is effortlessly enjoyable, and Catwoman provides a nice change of pace. The main story has some ingenious puzzle elements using Batman's gadgets, and the overall fidelity of the environment is at times, stunning. Here are the few foibles made to this otherwise excellent game...some scripted instant kills that seem cheap...a boss battle here and there that are confusing and lack any degree of sense (Mister Freeze)...generic 'gamey' backtracking for very little reward (A certain 'helicopter' segment)...

I played through in a fairly quick fashion, sticking mainly to the main quest line. I would recommend treating the idiotic riddler collectibles like white noise. They are simply constructs to take up game time that could otherwise be kickin' some thug ass...which is why this game still gets a 9.
  63. Sep 4, 2014
    "Arkham City" is great,period. This game really managed to deliver although "Arkham Asylum" was a tough one to follow. They did it again with this one. A really enjoyable game that will satisfy you both as a Batman fan and as a gamer.
  64. Sep 3, 2013
    One of my favorite games of all time is even better on PC. The Dx11 stuff is kinda of a bummer, although you can still get good FPS if you get the settings right. Luckily, Nvidia's geforce experience will set the optimal settings for you now, so download that if you haven't.
  65. Apr 6, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 10. It's not much different from the previous game, Arkham Asylum, but it is still a great game. Given that it is very similar to Arkham Asylum, I'm not sure it was worth the full $80, but I'm not regretting it anyway. Great graphics, smooth gameplay, well-designed. The DX11 sucks, and even with a core i7 cpu & and GTX470 it still stutters occasionally. Some peopleI'm giving this game a 10. It's not much different from the previous game, Arkham Asylum, but it is still a great game. Given that it is very similar to Arkham Asylum, I'm not sure it was worth the full $80, but I'm not regretting it anyway. Great graphics, smooth gameplay, well-designed. The DX11 sucks, and even with a core i7 cpu & and GTX470 it still stutters occasionally. Some people are complaining that it's not finished, but I've not had an issue with it yet (they did recently patch it), but even last year it was fine.
    CONS: Games For Windows Live (GFWL), the most useless crud invented for PC; DX11 support blows (might have been fixed via the patch); graphics stutter occasionally.
    PROS: Great graphics, smooth gameplay, decent story, lots to do.
  66. Oct 22, 2014
    I'M BATMAN. That's pretty much exactly how one feels playing this game. Mix a great storyline with a formidable amount of villains and Arkham City is what you get. One of the best games of it's generation.
  67. May 15, 2016
    This game - my favorite stels game of all. Awesome storyline, gameplay and graphics. I love this game by storyline and stels... I love stels, but there stels - better of all))
  68. Feb 12, 2012
    Now this AAA title seriously deserves AAA mark. Open world, sandbox gameplay, fantastic feeling. Many upgrades and exelent graphic and details for an old U3 engine. Yes there are some troubles with DX11, but in dx9 mode its stable and great looking. 10/10
  69. Nov 5, 2013
    Rocksteady, after reviving our hopes in superhero games with Arkham Asylum, have dreamt big: bringing the well established Dark Knight formula to open world. A task that first sounded too great even after everything the developer has given us in the first game. Fear not, they upped the ante.

Our favorite detective is forced to Arkham City occupied by thugs, gangsters, super-villains and Dr. Strange's guards. Initially we only know that he is after Strange who is preparing an experiment, which he calls "Protocol 10". The main plot of the game isn't the strongest we have ever experienced, but diverse enough to keep our heads spinning in every half hour or so. Even if Strange isn't the typical main villain you'd expect from a game like this, the others keep the show running. Boy, and how well. Joker, Two-Face, Penguin are only the most famous ones to recognize. Even the minor villains give splendid performances that will make you feel you're in an action packed DC comic book. Only this time around you're the one who beats up the bad guys. The ending of the game will keep you scratching your head and maybe this time and this time only Rocksteady took on more that they could bear...

The game has excellent graphical representation pushing the unreal engine to it's limits. The older engine sometimes shows it's limits with slowly loading textures and load screens in open areas. However, from artistic perspective it's breathtaking. The realization of Arkham City speaks for itself. Every character villain, hero or supporting cast is realized authentically with care and love that can be seen everywhere in the game. You can read stories about the city or it's unwanted "residents", listen to crazy interviews taped by Strange with the greatest villains that will uncover some of their background stories and let us see what has happened before the place was opened. It's exactly this where the game comes to full circle, not just being a super enjoyable action-superhero game, but a true part of the Batman legacy. The music and voice acting are top notch. Listening to an well composed orchestral piece before hearing Mark Hamill's voice behind The Joker is true joy and no fan could ask for more in that respect.

The freeflow combat introduced in Arkham Asylum returns with an array of gadgets that can be deployed in combat. The combat is so well balanced that it will be easy for everybody to pick up, but very difficult to master as Batman has plenty of moves in his pocket. You can choose to hit or counter each enemy when you are attacked, but there will always be a second, third or eighth move to pull. It's a mechanic that will never get boring even after the 228th enemy. Of course the game will challenge you eventually with more powerful enemies that can't be put down with repeated hitting of one button.

After you are done with the main campaign, which takes about 10 hour to complete, there's literally a dozen thing to do in Arkham City. For one you can explore the story based side quests which are not only cleverly integrated in the game's main story but they are also highly addictive. Of course Riddler made his mark in this game too, so you can try to collect his collectibles of which there is more than 300. If you have done everything in Arkham City (takes around 20-30 hours) there is a game mode called Riddler's revenge which is essentially a task-based-clean-the-room mini-game. You are rewarded with medals based on your successes, but cleaning every room and hitting high score everywhere will take you at least that much as the main game. That adds up around 50+ hours of gameplay for 100% completion. Really the only thing worth of complain here is that when you do everything and I mean everything in Arkham City there isn't anything else to load your save game again. The streets are empty except for some thug groups always spawned in the same spots. Arkham City feels empty; a thing that can be noticed even in the heat of the first walkthrough.

Rating: 94/100; Replay Value: 4/5; To Beat: 8-10 hours (main campaign), 22-25 hours (campaign with collectibles); Played on: normal.
  70. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is a serious contender for game of the year. The story is interesting and the gameplay is fun. The only downside is that DirectX 11 is not working yet, and I'm not sure if it ever will (that's why I didn't give it a perfect score). The good news is that the DirectX 9 graphics alternative is also terrific. Definitively a keeper.
  71. Mar 6, 2013
    Games for Windows Live totally ruined the experience for me. Just wanted to try the game that I got with my GPU and no it wont work. Had to enter my CD-key 3 times, the game crashed 2 times while trying to create a profile, could not save without updating "Games for Windows Live" etc... terrible DRM.
  72. Dec 3, 2011
    Played only a portion of this on PC now (a little over 15% - I have tried it on the console prior to the PC release) and while one would think the controller would make it better for something 3rd person like Batman AC I'd have to disagree: the mouse and keyboard are actually a pleasure to play with apart from having to double-tap some of the keys to quickfire (but luckily these can bePlayed only a portion of this on PC now (a little over 15% - I have tried it on the console prior to the PC release) and while one would think the controller would make it better for something 3rd person like Batman AC I'd have to disagree: the mouse and keyboard are actually a pleasure to play with apart from having to double-tap some of the keys to quickfire (but luckily these can be customised and a few quick shortcuts can be created for your favourites). The AR missions were a breeze using the Keyboard/Mouse when compared to the PS3 controller!

It looks far better on PC too (I only have a GTX295 so DX11 is a no go for me anyway). Only real issues so far are 1) the long startup time when initially firing it up, 2) GFWL (although so far it hasn't lost any of my saves in quite a while unlike with Arkham Asylum), 3) having to keep my disc in the tray (luckily there was a "community" patch to fix that up...it's bad enough I didn't get a proper case with my CE but I guess the book will keep it sort of safe) and 4) having to wait so damn long after the console release (it's true - having played it a little on console before the PC release didn't help my thirst).
  73. Jan 9, 2012
    must say i started playing this game only after the dirextX 11 patch came out so i have no experience with the bugs people are mentioning in their reviews. regardless this is one of the most brilliant games i have ever played! superb story! the combat sequences are even finer than akham asylum!
  74. Nov 24, 2011
    lets see where to begin...
    i cant save my game for 1 thing so i guess ill be beginning a whole lot...
    the performance is worse in the cutscenes than it is in game, and it is really not very good in-game. the multiple delays CLEARLY were nothing to do with improving performance and my bet it was for no reason other than to add the 3 layers of b/s protection to the game. the gameplay is
    lets see where to begin...
    i cant save my game for 1 thing so i guess ill be beginning a whole lot...
    the gameplay is pretty repetitive (though you try starting the same game over 5+ times and see how much variety YOU see) and honestly it feels like dx11 does nothing for it at all.

i loved AA, i really like batman in general, and i do enjoy a good beat em up, but there is no way i can imagine anyone saying the pc version of this game is NOT **** i got it free with my gtx 580 and i STILL feel i got ripped off.
  75. Dec 5, 2011
    People need to calm down. A 0 score based off graphics for a decent looking game? Skyrim looks worse, did you rate that a 0? Likewise, the 10's are a bit much. Was Arkham City a good game? Yes. I enjoyed it. GOTY? I honestly cannot see that argument. Aside from being a larger sandbox, it actually was much more empty than its predecessor. The highs weren't as high, but the lowsPeople need to calm down. A 0 score based off graphics for a decent looking game? Skyrim looks worse, did you rate that a 0? Likewise, the 10's are a bit much. Was Arkham City a good game? Yes. I enjoyed it. GOTY? I honestly cannot see that argument. Aside from being a larger sandbox, it actually was much more empty than its predecessor. The highs weren't as high, but the lows weren't as low. There were no scenes or fights that you'll remember a few months from now (unlike the Scarecrow scenes from AA.) But you won't be groaning every time you had to fight the same enemies.... AGAIN (unlike all the Bane-wannabes in AA.) While it started out strong, it felt incredibly rushed at the later 1/3, making the environment incredibly hostile to any exploration. It felt like an MMO, simply telling me to run to talk to/fight the next NPC and come back. Ultimately, I'd give the first 2/3 of the game a 8 or 9 out of 10, and the later third a 5/10. Thus, the 7. Expand
  76. May 3, 2012
    If there was an option for 8.5 I would've given it. A few notes first: Do not get a retail copy, get a steam copy. The retail copy will make you put the dvd in the tray to boot it up. I should be able to expect to install a game without having to put in a dvd every time. I mean it's 2012 (2011 when this was released), if I wanted to be a dirty pirate I could be one, don't spit on meIf there was an option for 8.5 I would've given it. A few notes first: Do not get a retail copy, get a steam copy. The retail copy will make you put the dvd in the tray to boot it up. I should be able to expect to install a game without having to put in a dvd every time. I mean it's 2012 (2011 when this was released), if I wanted to be a dirty pirate I could be one, don't spit on me because I buy games for pc. Also if I buy a retail copy in a store I don't want it to be sub par to an online distributor like steam.
    Secondly: Games for windows live... yeah... not so great, but I don't think you can avoid it. Other than the aforementioned technical issues the game has a couple graphical issues and I'm running a nvidia card (the game is optimized for nvidia). This game is great aside from being a console port, but the mouse and keyboard mapping isn't too bad. The game fighting dynamic reminds me a little bit of assassins creed, where timing is everything when you are surrounded by a huge group of thugs. There are also good espionage aspects in the game where taking down one opponent at a time is crucial to surviving. I will say that this game made me feel like batman, and that is why I'm giving it an 8. I might suggest to go for the console if your computer isn't a beast because while this games graphics are impressive it seems to take quite a machine to get this to go. I am always finding that when a cut-scene ends or begins there is noticeable lag, perhaps this is the U3 engine (I don't recall mass effect 3 doing this). The story is really good, and you can tell that the makers of this game really did want to make something that would stand up for batman fans everywhere. Currently I have an i5-750 8 gigs of ram and a 560ti and I can run this game smoothly on high. Hopefully new nvidia drivers and updates will make for some more gains in the future. This was worth the money I paid for it, and strikes a very good balance of difficulty and challenge. I'm also considering going 3d in the future, and know this game will be one of the reasons to try it out.
  77. Oct 3, 2012
    Sin duda alguna el mejor juego de superheroe de todos los tiempos, diversión constante, una jugabilidad impecable y grandes gráficos, aprovechando el buen hardware de un ordenador actual...
  78. Dec 24, 2011
    After playing this game for half an hour, you can not tear myself away from it ...
  79. Jul 11, 2013
    Cool story cool gameplay mechanics (very well done) good interface great seeing batman's enemies how they were meant to be scene altogether was a very good game. The main story line could've been longer and could've had more side missions (aside from Riddler's which seems to have more than the main story itself but isn't rewarding enough having to do so many puzzles and stuff just to goCool story cool gameplay mechanics (very well done) good interface great seeing batman's enemies how they were meant to be scene altogether was a very good game. The main story line could've been longer and could've had more side missions (aside from Riddler's which seems to have more than the main story itself but isn't rewarding enough having to do so many puzzles and stuff just to go save the next captive. Graphics and sound was great and again gameplay mechanics were done VERY well. Expand
  80. Dec 29, 2013
    The best game I've played this year. I like the 3D model of the characters and the combat which is responsive and of rhythm. Apart from the common elements in an action game, it turns like a puzzle game when you collect riddler's trophies and a stealth one when you enter a room full of armed enemies.
  81. Dec 27, 2011
    Brillitant game with excellent graphics and a superb storyline. My only criticism is its not as big as I'd have liked and I would have liked so I don't see myself coming back to it in the future unless they release some good DLC (the Robin/Nightwing content was beyond poor).
  82. Mar 4, 2016
    if you a big fan of batman u should already play this game this is the best game of 2011 for me it had some bad ass cutsceans spectacular voice acting and any great collectebales and one of my favorite villan from mark haml joker he is very awsome villanu can say the good in this game is thegadgets u can used for stealth passing mission a lot of stuffs my favorite boss fight in these gameif you a big fan of batman u should already play this game this is the best game of 2011 for me it had some bad ass cutsceans spectacular voice acting and any great collectebales and one of my favorite villan from mark haml joker he is very awsome villanu can say the good in this game is thegadgets u can used for stealth passing mission a lot of stuffs my favorite boss fight in these game is rash al ghul he is **** awsome the game had an awsome soundtrack all the bosses are awsome in this game it deserve a 10/10 it is masterpiece i will murder who talk a **** thing in these game i finished it 9 times Expand
  83. Nov 22, 2011
    Honestly, Arkham City for the PC is a troubled masterpiece. It's fun, but plays mostly like Arkham Asylum, with very little change between the original and its sequel. The game is open world, and there are new gadgets and combat tactics, but it feels more like an expansion than a sequel. Indoors, the movement is linear and consists mostly of crawling through a vent, running down aHonestly, Arkham City for the PC is a troubled masterpiece. It's fun, but plays mostly like Arkham Asylum, with very little change between the original and its sequel. The game is open world, and there are new gadgets and combat tactics, but it feels more like an expansion than a sequel. Indoors, the movement is linear and consists mostly of crawling through a vent, running down a corridor, swinging from gargoyles, or fighting a bunch of bad guys before doing it all over again.
    The open world would have been a nice touch, if it were more interactive. You move around and hear everything going on, and it's excellent, but also annoying, when you hear the same conversation 30 different times. The game seeks to let you go anywhere, with a subclause stating "as long as anywhere is HERE!"
    Graphics-wise, the game is astonishing, despite its horrible failure to give the customer a satisfying DirectX 11 experience, a feature which will mutilate the framerate of even a high-end gaming machine. In exchange for the framerate drop, the graphic improvements are negligible, and easily overlooked, which is honestly okay, considering how beautiful the game is anyways. Don't believe me? Watch snow fall on Batman's cape.
  84. Jan 25, 2013
    Come on people, a 0 score is reserved only for truly pathetic games. You are rating it this low either because you are angry at some minor issue or you don't know how to configure it, that's all. This game works FLAWLESSLY for me. I mean, I installed it yesterday and today I'm about to finish it because it's so astonishing I can't stop playing (I've played the game before, by the way).Come on people, a 0 score is reserved only for truly pathetic games. You are rating it this low either because you are angry at some minor issue or you don't know how to configure it, that's all. This game works FLAWLESSLY for me. I mean, I installed it yesterday and today I'm about to finish it because it's so astonishing I can't stop playing (I've played the game before, by the way).
    Graphics aren't just "ok", graphics are quite good. The combat scenes are UNIQUE, from my point of view. I've never played a game that offered such a display of martial art beating before.
    This game confirms Batman's quotation from Arkham Asylum: "I eat punks like these for breakfast".
    You'll be facing bands of up to 15-20 strong all by yourself, if you are skilful you'll beat them up without being hit! Movements and sounds are quite realistic, in fact it may hurt just to watch/hear Batman fight (he is such a beating machine). In this game you have plenty of missions to complete, skills to learn, gadgets to upgrade, trophies to collect, enemies to beat up, etc.
    If you liked Arkham Asylum you'll like this one as it offers more variety of scenarios, movements and enemies.
  85. Aug 6, 2014
    Much like its predecessor, Arkham City's production quality is stellar in every regard. This is the kind of game that makes it all seem so easy. The only way it could be better is by taking on more genres.

This game might not be for everyone, but it certainly is for most people. If you can appreciate a beat 'em up game with simple controls, this game will give you the most polished game experience there is. This game effortlessly captures the holy grail of games: something that is easy to pick up, gradual in its refinement and hard to master.

Technically, this game deserves a 10/10. The only reason I don't do that is because I've seen better in Arkham Asylum. I'm splitting hairs here, but the combat system in Batman:AC feels slightly less in your control than in Batman:AA.
  86. Jan 20, 2013
    It's by far one of my favorite games... It blows Arkham Asylum out of the water(and that was also a great game), the characters and story are so in-depth and perfect to the 'T'. Plenty of side missions and easter eggs to complete/uncover. The challenges are fun, the dlc is equally as fun, and the gameplay is rich. As I said before, this is one of my favorite games, don't think I'm biased,It's by far one of my favorite games... It blows Arkham Asylum out of the water(and that was also a great game), the characters and story are so in-depth and perfect to the 'T'. Plenty of side missions and easter eggs to complete/uncover. The challenges are fun, the dlc is equally as fun, and the gameplay is rich. As I said before, this is one of my favorite games, don't think I'm biased, it's really just that good. Expand
  87. Sep 1, 2013
    The game's great.The controls are easy to master.The gameplay's amazing.The fightsyles are superb. The scenery's great so do the gadgets...I am stunned Looking forward to Batman Arkham Origins.Actually it is really easy though to install the windows live..which is at first u must install the game files then copy all the xlive files from sysWow64 folder and paste it to system 32 Then copyThe game's great.The controls are easy to master.The gameplay's amazing.The fightsyles are superb. The scenery's great so do the gadgets...I am stunned Looking forward to Batman Arkham Origins.Actually it is really easy though to install the windows live..which is at first u must install the game files then copy all the xlive files from sysWow64 folder and paste it to system 32 Then copy only xlive.dll to system folder.Then launch the game.If u can play it but can't save it close the game. Then install windows live marketplace(Note:never save the setup run it and then u are free to play the game to the core. Expand
  88. Nov 26, 2013
    Aside from a few crashes and slowdowns, the game itself is perfect. It captures Batman in all his wondrous glory. I know I'm easy to please, but this game really is this good.
  89. Jan 2, 2016
    Best Superhero game ever. Excellent batman story. Dark atmosphere with excellent combat.

Graphics: 10
    Game play : 9
    Combat: 9
    World Design: 9
    Content: 8
    Immersion: 10
    Story: 10
  90. Aug 2, 2012
    This game is simply AWESOME !
    If you played Arkham Asylym and loved it, you'll be ecstatic with Arkham City, because everything just got better.
    You just can't help feeling totally badass when playing as The Dark Knight, beating up common criminals and the occasional evil mastermind. Lots of fighting, lots of gadgets, lots of riddles in a spectacular graphic experience. Once you get
    This game is simply AWESOME !
    Once you get going, it's hard to put down.

And they even made Batman's sidekick Robin somewhat badass - not the typical gay whimp we're used to from early comics, movies and TV series.
    You can play As Batman (of course) and Catwoman, and Robin and Nightwing in a DLC installment. Each with their own special moves and abilities.

You'll be cheating yourself from a great gaming experience by not getting it.
  91. Apr 4, 2012
    After playing the game for about three hours, i finaly came to the point where i just couldent be bothered to keep going. Where the story in AA captivated me and kept me going this game does an terrible job of trying to keep me interested in whats going on. The now "five times larger world" of AC is just a bland, boring questhub where one just jumps from rooftop to rooftop and notAfter playing the game for about three hours, i finaly came to the point where i just couldent be bothered to keep going. Where the story in AA captivated me and kept me going this game does an terrible job of trying to keep me interested in whats going on. The now "five times larger world" of AC is just a bland, boring questhub where one just jumps from rooftop to rooftop and not connecting with the enviornments at all. Shure there are lots stuff to do, if your an "achievementwhore" but for a gamer like me who couldent care less about the riddlers small trophys or the "who-can-name-who-of-batman-lore" sidequests the sandbox questhub is just cumbersome. Even the fighting is bland compared to the previous game, in AA the combat felt really powerful, when i hit someone it felt like it hurt. Here i just smack them around some and dont really feel any impact what so ever. Im glad i got the game for free when i bought my GTX 580 some months ago, if i had payed money for this Fable 3 version of Batman i would be as angry as two-face. Expand
  92. Dec 3, 2012
    When I first started playing the game, I had a much harder time "getting into it" than I did with Arkham Asylum. In Arkham Asylum, it's very clear from the beginning what's going on: Joker has seized control of the Asylum. But in Arkham City ... who is this guy Strange? Why does he know who Batman is? Why was Batman put in Arkham City? What's wrong with Joker? Certainly this is aWhen I first started playing the game, I had a much harder time "getting into it" than I did with Arkham Asylum. In Arkham Asylum, it's very clear from the beginning what's going on: Joker has seized control of the Asylum. But in Arkham City ... who is this guy Strange? Why does he know who Batman is? Why was Batman put in Arkham City? What's wrong with Joker? Certainly this is a mystery (and continuation of Arkham Asylum) and I suppose part of the game is the unraveling of the plot. However, at first I had a hard time getting into it. The first "mission", freeing the hostages, was quite difficult compared with AA.

Now, as I got INTO the game, I REALLY started to enjoy it. BUT, there were just too many characters, too many subplots. It got confusing after awhile. As well, I ignored the Riddler trophies at first because I had NO clue how to unlock them. A little help, an optional tutorial, would have been good. As it was, it got to the end of the story before I really got into picking up the trophies, and then what was left? HUNDREDS of freakin' trophies. Now this might have been a LOT more fun if I had done it here and there throughout the game.

As it was, in large part because there was no hint as to how to unlock the trophies, or how to go about the buttons, etc., no clues suggesting that some of these would unlock be available to unlock AFTER gaining certain gadgets, I'm left with one long repetitive puzzle game at the end.

Granted, I enjoy some of the puzzles. But the controls are just TOO imprecise to do some of the tricks well. I'm not a guy who likes to play the same little jump over and over until I get it. It would be nice if a few of these puzzles required a little more brains and a little less timing and button mashing ... especially when Batman's flying and grappling is often very difficult to control. Or maybe I'm just too old for this game.

This game has a lot of fun and good elements to it, but overall, I ended my time in Arkham City feeling frustrated.
  93. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favorite games I've played this year. It came in a humble bundle i bought and i just started playing it, but then i found out how amazing this game is, i've played quite a lot of it now till after the point where you encounter ra al ghul and the only reason i stopped playing it is when i had to sleep (or when i was stuck and ragequitted ;p) Expand
  94. Apr 4, 2016
    Having received this as a gift and not being a big comic character gamer, I didn't have high hopes of liking this. But I'm glad to say I was entirely wrong. Fantastic all around! The graphics, voice acting, story, and ability to explore made this a must play game.
  95. Nov 28, 2011
    Don't pay any attention to the dribbling morons giving it a 0. This is a superb game. It is true that currently DX11 causes huge stuttering all over the place but just run it in DX9 and it runs beautifully. It will be patched very quickly as the devs are aware of the problem. The game looks a country mile better than the console version even in DX9. Plays excellently with a gamepad whichDon't pay any attention to the dribbling morons giving it a 0. This is a superb game. It is true that currently DX11 causes huge stuttering all over the place but just run it in DX9 and it runs beautifully. It will be patched very quickly as the devs are aware of the problem. The game looks a country mile better than the console version even in DX9. Plays excellently with a gamepad which is supported. I've been using the 3D Vision set up which is just wonderful, makes it so much more immersive. Don't waste your time reading this, just go buy it. Expand
  96. Dec 5, 2011
    The month late and even without the DX 11 features, its the best game out there, has a great selection of batman enemies and allies, has a nice detailed part of Gotham, this is a must have for PC gamers and console gamers too. Now i´m waiting for Batman 3.
  97. Dec 5, 2011
    Finally got my hands on this title via my GTX 560TI purchase. First thing I did was read the reviews to prepare myself for what comes next. Single player games are typically not my forte', aside from Bioware games for the most part. With that out of the way let me say this.... Batman AC is a spectacular game. It has an awesome cinematic story coupled with an open world feel that lets theFinally got my hands on this title via my GTX 560TI purchase. First thing I did was read the reviews to prepare myself for what comes next. Single player games are typically not my forte', aside from Bioware games for the most part. With that out of the way let me say this.... Batman AC is a spectacular game. It has an awesome cinematic story coupled with an open world feel that lets the player spread their wings a bit to tackle available content on their own terms. Aside from folks complaining about technical issues (I haven't had any, but to each his own) I cant for the life of me figure out what someone looking for a great Batman game would not enjoy about this title. It is stunning visually, exciting mechanically with an engaging narrative. It has a dark tone which I love and expect from a Batman tale that really draws you into the world. I'm not sure what the developer promised that the naysayers were expecting, but I'm finding it hard to identify faults in this stellar game. It is simply put, way fun!

If you're looking for a great single player game, with top notch cinematic storytelling, character progression, exploration and oh yeah, you're a DC fan..... give this game a go, you wont be disappointed. I'm so thankful I didn't miss the bus on Batman: Arkham City, neither will you.
  98. Jul 28, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played.
    * I got it a couple months after release, and while I read there were stability issues on release, they all appeared to be cleaned up because I had no issues at all.
    This is one of the best games I've played.
    * The story was excellent! Very entertaining to play through. The writers kept me hungry for more, and I played for hours at a time. Although, it was easy to save and stop when I needed to.
    * The graphics were beautiful. Both cut scenes and game play were amazing.
    * A great mix of combat and puzzle solving. Puzzling is mostly ancillary/optional but is worth the time.
    * The combat was great. You basically are fist fighting thugs with the addition of gadgets to perform special moves. Every thing flowed amazingly well and was very satisfying, especially the slow motion finishing moves.
    * A lot of Batman universe characters were included. The focus was on just a couple, but there were tons of them.
    * The open world (rather city) adventuring was great. None of this "on rails" linear maps when you move between locations. You run through the streets, or more likely, soar between roof tops.
    * There is a good challenge system outside of the main game, that gets unlocked as you find secrets and reach goals in the main game. In this system, you are dropped into a combat scene from the game, bounded so you can't leave the area, and 3 waves of bad guys come at you. You need to survive and meet challenge goals, in the best time you can.
    * The developers did an excellent job with this game. Although it looks like this was the last planned game in the series, I hope they do another one. I played Arkham Asylum as well. And it was great for many of the same reasons, although this one really added a wider and more open world.
  99. Nov 22, 2011
    I warmly suggest you to play Batman AC on console (xbox360 or ps3). Sadly, the PC version is very buggy: poor graphics quality, flat textures, ridiculous dx11 effects, controls irresponsiveness and 'consolized' interface. This will widely ruin your gaming experience on PC. That's a shame, because this game was a true masterpiece on console.
  100. Mar 16, 2012
    If you want to complain about SecuRom and a delayed release date, do it on the Rocksteady forums. We're supposed to be reviewing THE GAME. Bottom line is, if you liked AA then you'll love AC. The addition of Catwoman, improved free-flow combat, a bigger world to explore, and the ability to grapple while gliding make Batman: AC an improvement over its predecessor in every way. Easily aIf you want to complain about SecuRom and a delayed release date, do it on the Rocksteady forums. We're supposed to be reviewing THE GAME. Bottom line is, if you liked AA then you'll love AC. The addition of Catwoman, improved free-flow combat, a bigger world to explore, and the ability to grapple while gliding make Batman: AC an improvement over its predecessor in every way. Easily a top 5 game of 2011. Expand

Though the ending is surprising, in a way, the story isn't the main focus of Batman: Arkham City. Exploring and adventuring come first, you have so much to do that you that the hours just slip by you. Yes, the boss fights are probably too easy, the narrative too short, the framerate goes down on occasion and not all the players will appreciate searching through every nook and cranny to find trophies. But it's all up to you and Arkham City offers a variety that not a lot of new games have nowadays.
    The developers should be proud for Arkham City and its precise portrayal of Gotham's mood- at least accordingly to recent films and comic books. A gothic atmosphere is undoubtedly dominant, as the majestic architecture of neoclassical buildings shadows the industrialization and the bright lights of a contemporary metropolis.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 20, 2012
    It's hard to create an extraordinary game but to recognize it is quite simple. Arkham City with its cinematic appearance towers high above the rest with its production values. [Dec 2011]